GM Doug's Devil-Wrought Disappearance (Inactive)

Game Master Doug Hahn

Macros | Maps


1 to 50 of 519 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

One of the most urgent letters to reach the Grand Lodge in the recent flood of troubling correspondence contained grim news indeed: a renowned Pathfinder Venture-Captain vital to the Society's operations in the oppressive nation of Cheliax has gone missing! Fearing the worst, the Society dispatches experienced agents to the venture-captain's home in search of any clue as to what might have happened.

We will use this gameplay thread for the second part, too.

Radiant Oath

Male, LG, Dwarf (Strong-blooded) | HP 62/62 AC: 22 (24 w/Shield), Shield ( Hardness: 7, HP: 30/30, BT: 15, ) | F: +11 R: +6, W: +10 | Perc: +10 (E, Darkvision)
Class Abilities:
  • Focus Pool: 0/1
  • Default Exploration: Defense

    "It is better to light a candle, than to curse the darkness. I shall heed the call into the land of the Devils."

    Horizon Hunters

    Dot

    Envoy's Alliance

    LN Male (he/his) elfbane Hobgoblin Nomad Investigator 4 | HP 40/44 | AC 19| Fort +7; Ref +9; Will +8; +1 vs attacks from traps | Perc: +8 (+9 when using Pursue a Lead or to detect traps); darkvision | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Search | Active conditions:

    "So, do any of you know what is up?" asks the hobgoblin. "Haggra the Hobgoblin. Yes, not an imaginative name, but when I came to Absalom there weren't many of us here. Proprietor of White Knight Security... I break into your house, so you can prevent others from doing so."

    Horizon Hunters

    N Female (she/her) Human Changeling Wizard 4 | HP 30/36| AC 17 | Fort +7; Ref +6; Will +9 | Perc: +7 (Darkvision) | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Detect Magic | Active conditions:. Mage Armor, False Life

    "I don't know specifics, but I can tell you one word: Cheliax." Morgan replies, implying that this is all you really need to know.

    Envoy's Alliance

    Female (she/her) goblin bard 5 | hp 56/56, hero 2/3 | AC 23, F+9 R+13 W+9 | Speed 25ft | (+2 on Initiative) Perception +9, Stealth +11, Perform +15, Deception +14 | Current Conditions:

    "Hello to old friends and new friends. I think maybe a nice song with rounds would be a good way for us to all bond as a team.

    Verdant Wheel

    Male NG Dwarf Drd5 | HP: 80/70 | AC: 23/25 22 (24 w/shield) | F: +12+1, R: +11+1, W: +13+1 | Perc: +13+1 [E] (darkvision) | Default exploration: Sense Direction or Search | Hero Points: 1

    A dwarf with flowers in his hair nods. Cheliax.


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

    GM Screen:

    Flint Thunderstriker's Pathfinder Society Lore (T): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
    Maggie's PFS Lore: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21
    Pugsley's PFS Lore Lore (E): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27

    Haggra's Society: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29
    Morgan Titchwillow's Society (T): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

    Graceful fields of black roses sway in the breeze along Lake Sorrow. Ornate black and red spires rise menacingly above the Sorrowgate. Outside Egotian, the City of Thorns, hundreds of travelers and traders wait for their chance to bring their caravans into the city. Dozens of heavily armed soldiers clad in the black and red of Thrune livery inspecting every carriage and beating any who dare to complain.

    You think about the missive you received from Ambrus Valsin weeks ago, before joining this caravan:

    Ambrus Valsin's Letter wrote:

    Agent,

    I’ve assigned you a particularly important mission, but one that requires a level of subtlety. One of our own, Venture-Captain Varian Jeggare, has gone missing. We received a letter through hidden channels from his majordomo, Benedet, at Greensteeples Manor. Count Jeggare apparently departed in the middle of the night and according to Benedet, he missed his prearranged check-in and has been missing for longer than they consider normal for the venture-captain. I’m sending you to help them find out what has happened.

    I don’t need to remind you that all Pathfinder activity in Cheliax is clandestine in nature, so you are to avoid any involvement with local authorities. You will be traveling with a trading caravan to the capital city, Egorian, and you’ve been provided writs to allow you to enter as mercenaries hired to work for the count. As long as you don’t make a scene like new recruits, you should make it to the Sorrowside district and Greensteeples Manor without trouble. Benedet is waiting for your arrival there.

    Follow whatever clues you can. Find Varian or — gods forbid — his remains. As always, be careful, and remember Cheliax is not safe for Pathfinders. Keep your guard up at all times.

    —Venture-Captain Ambrus Valsin

    ✥ ✥ ✥

    Along the way here, your team pooled their knowledge about Cheliax. It may be Ambrus finally picked the ideal group because you know a lot of things.

    Haggra and Pugsley know Count Varian Jeggare is a respected and influential noble in Cheliax. Pathfinders in Egorian can always find refuge in his home, Greensteeples, and his halfling staff are well equipped to keep them hidden or heal their ailments. Rumor has it Jeggare rarely commits things directly to writing—he uses codewords and secret phrases to conceal the true meaning of his messages. You both get a Special Thing later.

    Second, Morgan remembers some basic features of Egorian. It's one of the most powerful capital cities of the Inner Sea, and the seat of House Thrune. Laws are strict and heavily enforced; the city guards are bolstered by local Hellknight contingents. After the revolution in Kintargo, most routes into and out of the city are well-monitored to avoid any kind of uprising against the Imperial House. Pathfinders aren’t welcome in Egorian and they risk being imprisoned or worse, for charges up to and including insurrection.

    ✥ ✥ ✥

    Wind ruffles your hair. Gothic flowers sway. A merchant just ahead begs for mercy before being thrown into a ditch and beaten. The caravan line slowly inches forward…

    Let's have some character intros. If you need a prompt, how you helped on the caravan on the way here, or how you feel about Cheliax and the scene before you might be worth exploring.

    Radiant Oath

    Male, LG, Dwarf (Strong-blooded) | HP 62/62 AC: 22 (24 w/Shield), Shield ( Hardness: 7, HP: 30/30, BT: 15, ) | F: +11 R: +6, W: +10 | Perc: +10 (E, Darkvision)
    Class Abilities:
  • Focus Pool: 0/1
  • Default Exploration: Defense

    Flint's beard and hair are lighter than the rest of his clan, but still a deep brown with streaks of copper. His armor is polished to the point that it can be difficult to look at in the sun. His leather gear is well oiled, and well loved. Across his back for now, a steel shield bearing the symbol of Torag gives a clear indication of Flint's calling. Torag's champions are a proud lot, and Flint is every bit the stereotype.

    Over the past couple of weeks, he's spent his time acting as a guard. Much of it includes goading merchants into drills and sparring practice. Still, he's a friendly type when not training.

    His demeanor gets increasingly serious as the caravan approaches Cheliax. It's clear that he's not a fan. Given the overt symbolism to Torag on his gear, it's not surprising.

    Verdant Wheel

    Male NG Dwarf Drd5 | HP: 80/70 | AC: 23/25 22 (24 w/shield) | F: +12+1, R: +11+1, W: +13+1 | Perc: +13+1 [E] (darkvision) | Default exploration: Sense Direction or Search | Hero Points: 1

    Alonzo is less taciturn than Flint, but appears no more a fan of Cheliax than his fellow dwarf. He spends much of his time with the caravan enjoying the open air and keeping to himself.

    Alonzo's eyes narrow as the Chelaxian Imperial Guard enforces the draconian laws of the diabolic realm. He resists rushing to the merchant's aid, however, knowing their intent is to remain covert.

    Horizon Hunters

    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    Behind the dwarf is a very squat, bipedal humanoid dog carrying a battleaxe strapped to his back. His brown and white fur is running a little longer than usual these past few years as Pugsley has been traveling since fleeing his cushy palace of an estate where he lived for numerous years.

    Pugsley mutters and snorts as his body has difficulty breathing through his smashed face. "Dog-gone it! Slow down already." He grabs ahold of the wagon and tosses his gear into the back before flopping down inside the open topped wagon to try and catch his breath. "Aroden did me no favors, creating a mug like this that can't breath." He begins to curse Aroden on being so self-righteous and fool-hardy.

    Envoy's Alliance

    LN Male (he/his) elfbane Hobgoblin Nomad Investigator 4 | HP 40/44 | AC 19| Fort +7; Ref +9; Will +8; +1 vs attacks from traps | Perc: +8 (+9 when using Pursue a Lead or to detect traps); darkvision | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Search | Active conditions:

    ”A rescue.” says the hobgoblin. ”This will be a good mission. What squad mates should do, protect their own. ”

    The grey skinned hobgoblin is dressed in an only vaguely military fashion, with a spiked chain at his waist. His eyes never stop moving, as if he is taking the measure of everything and everyone around him.

    ”I am well trained in this sort of thing,”

    He takes Jeggare as his first lead.

    Horizon Hunters

    N Female (she/her) Human Changeling Wizard 4 | HP 30/36| AC 17 | Fort +7; Ref +6; Will +9 | Perc: +7 (Darkvision) | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Detect Magic | Active conditions:. Mage Armor, False Life

    During the trip Morgan largely keeps to herself, the travel time spent studying her spellbook. Occasionally she will jot some runic symbols down on a fresh page, and at other times she'll worth through weaving sigils in the air as she tests and practices.

    She steers clear of any martial training. It's a waste of her time.

    With one eye green and the other violet, it's easy for her to keep her privacy. Heterochromia is not common, but the superstitions linked to it are both varied and dark. Outside of the Pathfinders most give her a wide berth.

    That suits Morgan just fine.

    When the merchant cries out ahead the wizard turns away. Not my problem. I have enough of my own to contend with.

    "To me, Asher. Enough hiding," the changeling wizard commands, her tone made of iron. She's not likely to admit, even to herself, that what she needs is a distraction from the merchant's plight.

    Reluctantly, a small dweomercat cub slinks out of hiding. The look of disapproval is plain on Morgan's face. "Pay attention. We're nearly within the city limits and it's time for you to be useful. Understood?"

    Asher, the dweomercat, mews plaintively. "Of course, my mistress.

    Radiant Oath

    Male, LG, Dwarf (Strong-blooded) | HP 62/62 AC: 22 (24 w/Shield), Shield ( Hardness: 7, HP: 30/30, BT: 15, ) | F: +11 R: +6, W: +10 | Perc: +10 (E, Darkvision)
    Class Abilities:
  • Focus Pool: 0/1
  • Default Exploration: Defense

    Flint moves to speak up about Aroden.... but then decides it's best to not say anything at all.

    "Oi, you know your cats talks, right?"

    Horizon Hunters

    N Female (she/her) Human Changeling Wizard 4 | HP 30/36| AC 17 | Fort +7; Ref +6; Will +9 | Perc: +7 (Darkvision) | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Detect Magic | Active conditions:. Mage Armor, False Life

    "Yes, I'm well aware," Morgan replies to Flint. "It would make for a terrible messenger if it did not. Though I am suspecting that Arianrhod Thriceborn left me with the runt of the litter. Or perhaps it was dropped at one point."

    Flint sees the dweomercat stiffen its spine, clearly angry at the implication. But it says nothing.


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

    A fellow traveler watches the merchant being beaten, and says Could be worse. She sighs. The Southgate has more Hellknights on patrol, and they won’t let anyone with gold or weapons through without making them pay a hefty tax. And the gate up by the Vice has been closed for months.

    When your turn arrives the guards review your papers and allow and allow you to pass into Sorrowside with little hassle. Ambrus's connections have paid off; your paperwork has been expertly forged. At least, so far as getting you in. Getting out may be another story altogether…

    ✥ ✥ ✥

    Through the open gates, the smaller structures of the Old City look worn and ancient while more modern Thrune-era establishments encroach on the perimeter, many with hints of foreign influence. Black-clad soldiers patrol the cobblestone streets, a harsh reminder of House Thrune’s dominance in every corner of the city.

    Before you depart from your caravan the leader motions you over. Your boss told said to give you these when you got in. He hands you a package containing four minor healing potions. Noted on a new "loot" slide

    ✥ ✥ ✥

    Greensteeples is located deep in the Sorrowside neighborhood, but you have good directions. It's a small and elegant structure dwarfed by ostentatious black-and-red buildings. Nevertheless, Greensteeples outclasses its neighbors in subtleties of classic design elements.

    Just past the gates is a courtyard a halfling is giving orders to liveried servants. Milo, get those horses fed. His Excellency won’t appreciate underfed mounts! The servant they scolded pulls on the reins of a pair of horses and leads them into the nearby stables.

    The halfling turns and looks warily at you. Welcome to Greensteeples. May I help you? Art on slide 1

    Radiant Oath

    Male, LG, Dwarf (Strong-blooded) | HP 62/62 AC: 22 (24 w/Shield), Shield ( Hardness: 7, HP: 30/30, BT: 15, ) | F: +11 R: +6, W: +10 | Perc: +10 (E, Darkvision)
    Class Abilities:
  • Focus Pool: 0/1
  • Default Exploration: Defense

    Flint raises an eyebrow, "Name's Flint. I figured you'd be expecting us, no?"


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

    They look at Flint. His Excellency entertains many visitors, at many times. Those who bear letters of introduction, or have certain mutual acquaintances, are assisted with alacrity.

    Radiant Oath

    Male, LG, Dwarf (Strong-blooded) | HP 62/62 AC: 22 (24 w/Shield), Shield ( Hardness: 7, HP: 30/30, BT: 15, ) | F: +11 R: +6, W: +10 | Perc: +10 (E, Darkvision)
    Class Abilities:
  • Focus Pool: 0/1
  • Default Exploration: Defense

    "Pretty certain we qualify for both paths towards alacrity."

    Given the situation, Flint gives the man the stink eye Perception (Sense Motive) is +9. If he's satisfied, he'll show the letter from Valsin.


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

    GM Screen:
    Morgan Titchwillow's Perception (T): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
    Flint Thunderstriker's Perception (E): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26
    Pugsley's Perception (T): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
    Haggra the Hobgoblin's Perception (E): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

    Nice rolls!

    The halfling suspects you're Pathfinders, but are being wary about it. This is Cheliax, after all.

    When Flint finally hands them Ambrus's letter they don't seem surprised. Ahh. Of course. You have been expected. This way, please. They take you in through the front door. I am Benedet, Majordomo of Greensteeples and right hand of His Excellency Count Varian Jeggare. It is my pleasure to assist you, and in so doing, assist His Excellency.

    As Benedet escorts you into a well-appointed antechamber, they stop for a moment near an Ustalavic wolfhound who's napping next to the warm fireplace. The hound would stand nearly as tall as the halfling and has a dark coat giving way to the greys of old age. Hello, Arnisant! Please be nice to our guests. Benedet greets the hound in soothing tones, rubs him behind the ears, and gives him a treat. The hound turns and looks expectantly at you while Benedit calls for tea.

    Radiant Oath

    Male, LG, Dwarf (Strong-blooded) | HP 62/62 AC: 22 (24 w/Shield), Shield ( Hardness: 7, HP: 30/30, BT: 15, ) | F: +11 R: +6, W: +10 | Perc: +10 (E, Darkvision)
    Class Abilities:
  • Focus Pool: 0/1
  • Default Exploration: Defense

    "Ha! I've ready many tales of your exploits Arnisant!" It's not lost on Morgan that Flint expressed shock at a talking cat, but spoke conversationally to a canine he knows can't talk.

    Nice cameo!

    Flint happily approaches the massive hound, but only so long as Arnisant allows. After he stands before a comfortable looking chair - awaiting the host to sit first.


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

    Arnisant stares into Flint’s eyes, waiting for his due: a pet or a treat.

    Verdant Wheel

    Male NG Dwarf Drd5 | HP: 80/70 | AC: 23/25 22 (24 w/shield) | F: +12+1, R: +11+1, W: +13+1 | Perc: +13+1 [E] (darkvision) | Default exploration: Sense Direction or Search | Hero Points: 1

    Alonzo, for his part, is excited to see the dog and in fact whispers to it at length.

    Eventually he remembers the purpose of their visit and, with difficulty, turns his attention back to Benedet. To the Count, then, and his, ah, vanishment.


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

    Arnisant appreciates the attention from Flint and Alonzo. He looks at the rest of you.

    Radiant Oath

    Male, LG, Dwarf (Strong-blooded) | HP 62/62 AC: 22 (24 w/Shield), Shield ( Hardness: 7, HP: 30/30, BT: 15, ) | F: +11 R: +6, W: +10 | Perc: +10 (E, Darkvision)
    Class Abilities:
  • Focus Pool: 0/1
  • Default Exploration: Defense

    Flint eagerly gives him both a good scritchin' behind the ears, and a bite of lizard jerky.

    Horizon Hunters

    N Female (she/her) Human Changeling Wizard 4 | HP 30/36| AC 17 | Fort +7; Ref +6; Will +9 | Perc: +7 (Darkvision) | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Detect Magic | Active conditions:. Mage Armor, False Life

    Morgan eyes the hound, then glances at Asher. The dweomercat's fur is standing on end, its back arched. She sighs. "You are such a coward, Asher. It's very simple: you pet the beast."

    To illustrate she walks over to the dog and briefly pets it. It's a somewhat perfunctory gesture, but is still a decent head pat. "See? Simple enough."

    Horizon Hunters

    Pugsley stands next to the large hound, giving it a good sniff for reassurance before snorting. This is his first time meeting Benedet and Arnisant. "Greetings Arnisant, I am Pugsley Higmor the Third" He gives a slight bow. "I am unfamiliar and would enjoy hearing of these exploits when you have time."


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

    Arnisant enjoys all the attention and turns in a circle several times before coming to rest on a large bed set aside for the purpose. It seems he approves of your presence in Greensteeples.

    ✥ ✥ ✥

    Benedet waves you to the table. I am glad you have befriended His Excellency's hound. The tea service comes in, delivered by a halfling cook. After she departs, the majordomo continues.

    Thank you for coming. I have served Count Jeggare for five years now after the previous butler returned to his family outside Chelaxian borders. I run the day-to-day affairs of His Excellency’s public work and am privy to all of his efforts.

    You are here to help Him in His time of need. His Excellency returned from a trip to Korvosa nearly eight weeks ago. As usual, I apprised him on the affairs of the household in his absence, but there was nothing pressing. He needed to conduct some research here at Greensteeples, something related to one of his teams out in the field. He didn’t consult me on what or whom he was researching, but in all likelihood, His Excellency was striving to protect us. That is his way.

    Benedet breaks into a small, warm smile before catching themselves and returning to their matter-of-fact disposition. Several weeks ago, His Excellency left in the middle of the night. This isn’t abnormal for him, but he usually sends a message through magical conveyance or one of his roses to check in whenever he plans to stay away for more than a week at a time.

    His standing orders for such cases as this are to call upon the Society to investigate. He has stated the best starting point, barring other leads _ which in this case, there are none — is whatever project he was working on in the library. We are under orders to leave the archives exactly as he left them in cases such as this. When you are ready, I will direct you to the library when you are ready to begin your search for clues.

    He sips his tea. Do you have any questions?

    Horizon Hunters

    N Female (she/her) Human Changeling Wizard 4 | HP 30/36| AC 17 | Fort +7; Ref +6; Will +9 | Perc: +7 (Darkvision) | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Detect Magic | Active conditions:. Mage Armor, False Life

    "I have a few," Morgan says, ticking them off on her fingers as she asks. "How long has the Count been gone, would you say? And would it be safe to say that the previous butler is aware of the same standing orders you have? And where are they now?"

    Envoy's Alliance

    LN Male (he/his) elfbane Hobgoblin Nomad Investigator 4 | HP 40/44 | AC 19| Fort +7; Ref +9; Will +8; +1 vs attacks from traps | Perc: +8 (+9 when using Pursue a Lead or to detect traps); darkvision | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Search | Active conditions:

    Haggra looks at Arnisant with a modicum of distrust. Still, when he sees the others scratching his ears, he does what seems to be the proper protocol, and also scratches the dog.

    "Thank you. Can you tell us anything about the research that he was working on, or any contacts that he may have spoken of prior to disappearing?" asks the hobgoblin.


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros
    Morgan Titchwillow wrote:
    "How long has the Count been gone, would you say?"

    As I said, several weeks. Four.

    Morgan Titchwillow wrote:
    "And would it be safe to say that the previous butler is aware of the same standing orders you have? And where are they now?"

    Possibly he is, but he was brought home to his family by His Excellency. If he knows anything now, it's quite out of date I would assume.

    Haggra the Hobgoblin wrote:
    Can you tell us anything about the research that he was working on, or any contacts that he may have spoken of prior to disappearing?"[/b] asks the hobgoblin.

    I cannot. His Excellency has given instructions to leave his study completely undisturbed in such a case as this. Myself and all his servents are careful to follow these orders. If you are capable at researching, you should be able to find the trail by finding what he was last looking into, in his library.

    Horizon Hunters

    N Female (she/her) Human Changeling Wizard 4 | HP 30/36| AC 17 | Fort +7; Ref +6; Will +9 | Perc: +7 (Darkvision) | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Detect Magic | Active conditions:. Mage Armor, False Life

    "It is evident to me that the best place for us to learn more appears to be His Excellency's library," Morgan says with a degree of frustration. Her tone changes somewhat when she realizes the amount of arcane knowledge there might be. "We should look into it right away, without further delays."

    Envoy's Alliance

    LN Male (he/his) elfbane Hobgoblin Nomad Investigator 4 | HP 40/44 | AC 19| Fort +7; Ref +9; Will +8; +1 vs attacks from traps | Perc: +8 (+9 when using Pursue a Lead or to detect traps); darkvision | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Search | Active conditions:

    ”Exactly. As an academian, I expect that this will go quickly. ”

    Radiant Oath

    Male, LG, Dwarf (Strong-blooded) | HP 62/62 AC: 22 (24 w/Shield), Shield ( Hardness: 7, HP: 30/30, BT: 15, ) | F: +11 R: +6, W: +10 | Perc: +10 (E, Darkvision)
    Class Abilities:
  • Focus Pool: 0/1
  • Default Exploration: Defense

    "you read my mind. I think our best course of action is to see if we can pick up the trail via his research here. That's why we brought Morgan and Haggra."

    Horizon Hunters

    Pugsley slides a large grimoire aside in his pack as he pants nervously. "More books huh? These ones alright to touch or are there any spellcaster books within that might be dangerous?"

    Envoy's Alliance

    Female (she/her) goblin bard 5 | hp 56/56, hero 2/3 | AC 23, F+9 R+13 W+9 | Speed 25ft | (+2 on Initiative) Perception +9, Stealth +11, Perform +15, Deception +14 | Current Conditions:

    "There is nothing more fun than a room full of books. Don't believe the rumours! I always told the youngsters that with books you can go anywhere and do anything using only YOUR IMAGINATION."

    At this, Maggie grins a wide and sharp goblin grin that is more unnerving than endearing.

    "Why a book is where I learned the longest word you will ever hear. I even have a song about it. Would you like to hear it? Super-cali... ah maybe it should wait for the journey. I know how much my songs helped Morgan pass the time on the way here."


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

    Capital. Benedet claps twice. A pair of uniformed halfling porters take your belongings to the apartments set aside for visiting Pathfinders. They clap three times, and the cook comes back in. Malla, please prepare a meal for the Pathfinders, so they don’t go hungry while working.

    Malla curtsies. Yessir, Sir Benedet. I've turnips imported straight from Etran's Folly, the place they calls "Plaguestone." Them's the best around! I'll make a right nice turnip stew with 'em, an' some meat pies too. She bows and departs.

    Benedet turns to you. One thing before you begin. News gets around, and if His Excellency is not seen in a day or two — which he will not be — local law enforcement will come knocking to conduct a "wellness check." They will search the manor. It would behoove you to be gone by that time… and ahead of the Hellknights who will surely be on His Excellency's trail.

    ✥ ✥ ✥

    Greensteeples’ library takes up a considerable portion of the manor. It spans two floors with a balcony on the second level to assist in reaching the floor-to-ceiling bookshelves. Between the myriad books and scrolls, trophies and curios from all around Golarion grace the shelves and spill over onto three long tables that fill half of the lower floor. The other half of the room houses a large orrery and a collection of globes and models of other worlds overseen by a large portrait of a Chelaxian noblewoman. On nearly every surface specimens of dried fauna, preserved creatures in jars of brine, weapons, armor, and other trophies of exploration and research wait to be cataloged and added to the Count’s vast collection.

    Arnisant pads alongside you, into the library. He likes you, and seems eager to help you locate his missing master. In fact, he is a research venue unto himself! It is time to begin researching for clues.

    This minigame uses the Research system. There are three research venues you can conduct research in: the collection of books, the maps, and Arnisant (the hound will sniff out his master's most recent locations). Because more than half of you petted Arnisant, he likes you and the DCs are reduced for that area. Crit failing will hamper your progress, so consider that when using Hero Points.

    Each check will take you 6 hours. You can make 2 checks per day. Based on what Benedet told you you think you have a max 2 days of time before it's too late. I am including DCs to help you determine if you want to use a hero point.

    ✥ ✥ ✥

    Greensteeples Archives: Morning of Day 1

    Choose a topic and roll. DCs and Topics on Map

    Alonzo
    Flint
    Haggra
    Morgan
    Maggie
    Pugsley

    Radiant Oath

    Male, LG, Dwarf (Strong-blooded) | HP 62/62 AC: 22 (24 w/Shield), Shield ( Hardness: 7, HP: 30/30, BT: 15, ) | F: +11 R: +6, W: +10 | Perc: +10 (E, Darkvision)
    Class Abilities:
  • Focus Pool: 0/1
  • Default Exploration: Defense

    Not really one for library time, Flint does enjoy maps, so he begins pouring over what's there.

    Crafting 1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10 FAIL
    Crafting 2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17 FAIL

    But he just can't seem to make heads or tails.

    Envoy's Alliance

    LN Male (he/his) elfbane Hobgoblin Nomad Investigator 4 | HP 40/44 | AC 19| Fort +7; Ref +9; Will +8; +1 vs attacks from traps | Perc: +8 (+9 when using Pursue a Lead or to detect traps); darkvision | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Search | Active conditions:

    Haggra sees the library, and is immediately excited to find out what there is to learn. Rarely has he had such an opportunity.

    He starts with the Book Collection, as that seems to his best option.

    academia lore, lead DC16: 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 9 + 1 = 26 Crit!
    academia lore, lead DC16: 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 9 + 1 = 17 Success!

    I assume that's 3 points so far, then!

    Envoy's Alliance

    Female (she/her) goblin bard 5 | hp 56/56, hero 2/3 | AC 23, F+9 R+13 W+9 | Speed 25ft | (+2 on Initiative) Perception +9, Stealth +11, Perform +15, Deception +14 | Current Conditions:

    Maggie leads the hound around, trying to get him to help find where his master has been.

    Diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28

    Diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19

    Maggie sings as they romp through the library. "Ar-nie... really comes in han-dy! Specially when your ALL alone in the night and your small and terr-ibly frightened... Arnie will aaaalways be therrrre!"


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

    Greensteeples’ map room is hidden behind a portrait of Countess Pontia Jeggare. Every wall and surface in this small room is covered in maps and scrolls with several locations circled and notated. It's hard for FLint to make heads or tails of it.

    Haggra and Maggie make excellent progress. Arnisant howls along with Maggie's tune and knocks over books with his tail as they investigate.

    2 crits. We'll save the 19 for a check later today if needed.

    ✥ ✥ ✥

    Haggra learns about the recent political turmoil in Cheliax due to the Silver Ravens’ rise in Kintargo and the failure of the Glorious Reclamation’s attempts to gain a foothold in the Chelaxian heartlands. Despite the utter defeat of the Glorious Reclamation in the field of battle, Varian’s notes theorize several local revolutionaries escaped execution and are in hiding.

    Maggie discovers that Jeggare’s notes refer often to the attempts to reopen Delvehaven in Westcrown and point to how well his "roses" have bloomed all over Cheliax despite only having the Grinning Pixie as the counterpoint to Greensteeples. He has multiple references to a hidden Davian heiress and how her discovery sets alight new suspicions on the Thruneapproved history of Cheliax. The PCs uncover several plans the Count has yet to set in motion to further investigate a possible library hidden in Delvehaven’s chambers.

    I'll drop these results on a slide a bit later too.

    ✥ ✥ ✥

    Greensteeples Archives: Morning of Day 1

    DCs and Topics on Map

    Alonzo
    Flint
    Haggra
    Morgan
    Maggie
    Pugsley

    Verdant Wheel

    Male NG Dwarf Drd5 | HP: 80/70 | AC: 23/25 22 (24 w/shield) | F: +12+1, R: +11+1, W: +13+1 | Perc: +13+1 [E] (darkvision) | Default exploration: Sense Direction or Search | Hero Points: 1

    Alonzo joins Maggie with the hound.

    DC 15 Nature: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24

    Horizon Hunters

    Pugsley pulls his large grimoire from his pack and hugs it close, staying well clear of the book collection. "Books can cause more harm than good from what I have seen."

    The shoony pushes off towards the map room to take a look at what it has marked across the canvas.

    Crafting: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
    Crafting: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19

    Horizon Hunters

    N Female (she/her) Human Changeling Wizard 4 | HP 30/36| AC 17 | Fort +7; Ref +6; Will +9 | Perc: +7 (Darkvision) | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Detect Magic | Active conditions:. Mage Armor, False Life

    Morgan is unable to resist the lure of books. She sets to cataloguing and skimming the various tomes in search of clues.
    Society vs DC 19: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13
    Hero Point
    Society vs DC 19: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

    She doesn't have much luck, but stubborn determination is part of the bedrock of her personality.
    Society vs DC 19: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

    Alonzo and the hound uncover more traces of Varian's whereabouts. Pugsley sniffs out some clues of his own. Morgan is stymied by the sheer number of books… it's so distracting!

    It is now lunchtime. You have 6 successes so far (as well as some banked for your afternoon checks). You uncovered another clue, but before you can convene to discuss it, something happens!

    ✥ ✥ ✥

    You hear loud knock on the front door. Benedet's voice… they're speaking rather loudly as if they want you to hear them. HIS EXCELLENCY IS HERE. Where else would he be? He did ask not to be disturbed, though he surely appreciates the CITY GUARD coming to SEARCH INSIDE THE MANOR for a wellness check… Footsteps coming closer, many of them sound armored. AGAIN. His Excellency is sequestered IN THE LIBRARY and has asked not to be disturbed… The footsteps are coming closer!

    You have to hide, or create a distraction — fast!

    You can all make Stealth checks (DC 16), and half need to succeed or you will take a penalty on the next round of research checks. Or, one of you can make a Deception Check (DC 18) to try and create a diversion to draw the city guards away from the area near the library.

    Envoy's Alliance

    LN Male (he/his) elfbane Hobgoblin Nomad Investigator 4 | HP 40/44 | AC 19| Fort +7; Ref +9; Will +8; +1 vs attacks from traps | Perc: +8 (+9 when using Pursue a Lead or to detect traps); darkvision | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Search | Active conditions:

    Stealth: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

    Haggra quickly disappears from sight as he hears the commotion.

    Envoy's Alliance

    Female (she/her) goblin bard 5 | hp 56/56, hero 2/3 | AC 23, F+9 R+13 W+9 | Speed 25ft | (+2 on Initiative) Perception +9, Stealth +11, Perform +15, Deception +14 | Current Conditions:

    Maggie grabs a servant's livery and a mop and bucket from the broom closet and heads out to the hallway with Arnie.

    As the guards approach, she knocks over the bucket with a clatter and shrieks.

    "You unbelievable oafs! You ruined all my work and the master's floors! The master will be FURIOUS! GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT! He will have your HEADS for this! GET OUT before he reports you all and has your jobs! DO NOT make me call him here because you would not like the master when he is angry. He has a terrible migraine and will NOT be disturbed by idiot guardsmen and now you clattered the bucket and HE HATES CLATTER! AND now you have upset Arnie. Oh Gods you are going to get me fired. I needed this job so badly!"

    Maggie sobs uncontrollably (using Charming Liar).

    "Just please go. I will tell the master it was an accident when he is better and no harm will come of it.

    Gods willing, Arnie will growl at the guards menacingly.

    Deception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (6) + 14 = 20

    Horizon Hunters

    Pugsley looks around frantically, not sure where he is going to hide at all. He was never much good at hiding, only seeking.

    Stealth: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

    He shuts the door to the maproom and tosses himself behind the map, hoping his big hairy feet sticking out don't give him away.

    Verdant Wheel

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Male NG Dwarf Drd5 | HP: 80/70 | AC: 23/25 22 (24 w/shield) | F: +12+1, R: +11+1, W: +13+1 | Perc: +13+1 [E] (darkvision) | Default exploration: Sense Direction or Search | Hero Points: 1

    Before the guards arrive, Alonzo wild shapes into a generic Ustalavic wolfhound and pads up alongside Maggie, hoping Arnisant will follow his lead and arrive on her opposite side.

    He growls appropriately at the opportune time.

    Radiant Oath

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Male, LG, Dwarf (Strong-blooded) | HP 62/62 AC: 22 (24 w/Shield), Shield ( Hardness: 7, HP: 30/30, BT: 15, ) | F: +11 R: +6, W: +10 | Perc: +10 (E, Darkvision)
    Class Abilities:
  • Focus Pool: 0/1
  • Default Exploration: Defense

    Flint looks up and watches as the others melt into the shadows and Maggie clears her throat. Hiding, either physically or with intent, are both things that Flint is awful at doing. Unsure of what to do, he decides that his best bet is to simply find a place to stand, lower the visor on his helmet, and act like décor. Stealth: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (14) + 0 = 14

    1 to 50 of 519 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Doug's Devil-Wrought Disappearance All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.