RMH-EP-01: The Grand Masquerade (Inactive)

Game Master Aeshuura

A four-hour epic adventure for 1st-level characters.


1 to 50 of 230 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Outpost Map

At the request of an interested party, you’ve come with a number of others to the tea shop of the human known as Rhian the fate-steeper, who seems to expect you. After a short wait—and a number of cryptic Tarokka readings— the shop’s door opens again and an elf wheels into the room. A halfling following close behind closes the door with a quick kick of their heel.

Rhian nods to the newcomers but speaks to all of you gathered there. The time has come for you to understand where you are going. They then collect their Tarokka deck, saying, I leave you to it, and amble into a back room.

The elf studies you for a brief moment before introducing himself. My name is Alanik. Alanik Ray. And this is my associate, Kabe Whippoorwill. I am working at the behest of the Order of the Guardians, who are seeking one of their own—a human woman named Radaga who has gone missing. As part of this investigation, I am hiring field operatives. And I hope that you will be among them.

Kabe removes an envelope from their jacket pocket, placing it on a table. Word is that Radaga will attend Duchess Saidra’s d’Honaire’s Grand Masquerade tonight. Another agent got a sneak peek at an invitation, then whipped up a few extras. The halfling winks and clicks their tongue in the side of their mouth. Now you can mingle at the ball with other covert investigative teams and hopefully find Radaga. Or, at the very least, gather some information about where she’s been hiding out, and why.

Alanik nods agreement with his associate. I believe that infiltration, deduction, possible rescue, and solving a mystery might appeal to you, even at the risk of your being discovered.

Kabe chimes in, And the point is not to be discovered. If you go in heavy-handed, you’ll get nothing out of people. And if you don’t cooperate with your fellow investigators, you’ll be making things more difficult for yourselves.

Quite, Alanik continues, I thus implore you to investigate. Learn what you can about the disappearance of Radaga if convenient. And, even if inconvenient, I implore you to investigate, nevertheless. Now, I’m sure you have questions, and more introductions need to be made. Let’s get these formalities out of the way as quickly as possible. The game is afoot!

As you look around the room, you take in your fellow investigators...

Go ahead and describe your characters to the rest of the party and you may give your responses... If any of you decide that you know each other already, that is okay too. Remember that this is likely right when you all are starting your adventuring career, starting to break away from the general population of your respective realms...


Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Appraise +7, Bluff +8, Disable Device +9, Escape Artist +9, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +6, Knowledge (Local) +6, Linguistics +6, Perception +8, Sleight of Hand +9, Stealth +13, Use Magic Device +6
Halfling Rogue 2; Init +4; HP: 16/16; AC 18, Touch 15, FF 14; Fort +2, Ref +8, Will +1; Perception +8; Harrow Points- 5

Garret, an average sized halfling, sits as upright as possible in his chair to see over the table. Hearing that he will be going to a ball to save a woman he unconsciously runs his fingers through his tousled dirty blonde hair to try and straighten it. He wears normal traveling clothes and and has a bandolier of darts and a short sword strapped to his belt. A backpack filled with his traveling equipment lies at the feet of his chair.

He wonders if he will be able to get some nicer clothes for the masquerade ball as he introduces himself, "Hello, I am Garrett Goodbarrel. Umm...Is there a dress code for the ball?"

Grand Lodge

Outpost Map

Kabe smirks, Of course, cousin, but the Order will provide. We just need commitment first...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The cat barely understood what was happening, each time the strange woman (who for some reason wasn't trying to kill her) said a word with more than 2 syllables her eyes crossed slightly and an annoyed grumble resounded from deep in her chest.

She was dressed in a simple fabric skirt with an exotic, unidentifiable design seemingly inspired by predatory birds and blocky but colorful geometric patterns. Unabashedly topless, she yet kept a bright red blanket draped loosely about her shoulders, her sleek fur covering the most offensive curves spotted like a leopard.

The spiraling spikes of a large conch shell hung at one side of her belt, with a bizarre slightly rotten black tentacle hanging on the other. Even more noticeable was the headdress she had donned, which blossomed into a hundred eagle feathers radiating outward like the golden sunrays of some forgotten celestial object. The garb barely concealed the handle of an equally strange weapon mounted loosely on her back, a quite long piece of carved hardwood with fist sized squares of raw obsidian constituting the mimicry of a true blade.

It was hard to tell by her eyes if she was more angry or confused...in truth the latter, she had thought she smelled some Zoyoyatic, a medicinal herb that warded against lice and fleas (and could kill mice if potent enough), but instead found only this woman and her tea.

Glancing at the others (who also weren't attempting to kill her for some reason) she offered her name with a voice like distant thunder or the tribal rhythm of the drums of war "....Xune."


CG Female Half-Elf Artificer 2 | Status:
Stats:
AC 17 | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | Str+0 Dex+1 Con+4 Int+5 Wis+2 Cha-1 | Perc +4, Insight +2
HP 17/17 | Spells 1st 2/2

Sorry, I didn't notice game has started.

A redheaded woman looks around, trying to catch everything. She feels quite uncomfortable.

She's dressing quite correctly and appropriate. Some pieces of armour show on top of her clothes, though, and the intricate decoration quickly jumps to the eye. Eastern patterns and symbols, engraved all across the metal parts, create a wonderful and artistic collage that contrast heavily with her rather unflashy vestment. A shield hands from her back, and what's clearly a smith's hammer is attached to a harness on her right leg.

"My name is... Odile." (Oh-DEEL)

She seems to hesitate when saying her name, and her accent is clearly outlandish.


Male Hexblood Rogue: HP 8/8: Perception +3

Similarly hadn't noticed!

A tall and slender purple humanoid stands next to the table, he wears a black long tailcoat with bead embroidery going up and down the tails creating a vortex pattern under the tailcoat is leather reinforced formalwear. his hair is well kept and black and he has a small cowl covering below his mouth.

"Astralabius" you hear him say in a fast and slightly over annunciated, he lets the words float in the air for a moment before adding "or just Astra if you prefer"


Radaga, the one related to Daglan Daegon?

"Guten tag Alanik. I've never heard of this... Order of the Guardians, and news of most things come my way. Why is that? Too small, ja? Nonetheless, you're in luck. Einhard will help. After all, how can I refuse entertaining so many fine guests?" answers a wry man wearing a leather vest over a simple tunic. He introduces himself as Einhard to the others; his voice melodious as he speaks in Vaasi. Just in case, I don't think common is assumed for most residents in the core? Maybe something to check with folks here?

Grand Lodge

Outpost Map

The elf smiles, Then we are doing our jobs well. We are not a... group that works in the open. Shadows suit us better. If our enemies cannot see us, we are more effective. But you are correct, you can help us...

No rush, folks. I had a little time, so I posted last week. Waiting on one more, yes?


Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Appraise +7, Bluff +8, Disable Device +9, Escape Artist +9, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +6, Knowledge (Local) +6, Linguistics +6, Perception +8, Sleight of Hand +9, Stealth +13, Use Magic Device +6
Halfling Rogue 2; Init +4; HP: 16/16; AC 18, Touch 15, FF 14; Fort +2, Ref +8, Will +1; Perception +8; Harrow Points- 5

Sounds fine to me.


Aldous stands to the back of the shop, sipping his tea, cloakhood pulled over his pallid face. The boy - for he thought of himself as one among such obviously capable strangers - was quiet, his mind turning over the events of the last few days. The Doctor's disappearance, the fog of his wakening, the dead servants in the manor house, and Aldous's flight to a nearby town, where an agent of Rhian's waited, as if expecting him all along. The boy had followed the agent through the mists and to this tea shop, and even now, warm cup of tea in hand, Aldous could not stop shaking. The boy wrapped his black cloak tightly around his slight frame and peered intently at the rest.

The others he was to join were a fearsome group (especially the one named Xune, unless that was the catwoman's language for saying something else) - and Aldous pulled his cloakhood down, further obscuring his voice, which came muffled and shaky. "Aldous Beauturne, and I'd be happy to be of service. But I'll also need something nicer to wear."

Not like I can go home anyways...

Grand Lodge

Outpost Map

Alanik smiles as he spins on the rear two wheels of his chair, Excellent! Let us get you some finer threads!

The halfling rolls their eyes at the elf's flair and nods for you all to follow.

--

The afternoon is spent shopping and having a tailor take your measurements. Alanik suggests a horse at least, or a carriage, possibly.

Pick up to 200 gp worth of costumed finery, horses, or expensive spell components, should you need them. This is 200 gp for each of you. Alanik makes it clear that these items are to be returned at the end of the mission, but you should be suitably compensated.

Are we clear on the mission? Find out what happened to Radaga, and bring her home if possible.


Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Appraise +7, Bluff +8, Disable Device +9, Escape Artist +9, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +6, Knowledge (Local) +6, Linguistics +6, Perception +8, Sleight of Hand +9, Stealth +13, Use Magic Device +6
Halfling Rogue 2; Init +4; HP: 16/16; AC 18, Touch 15, FF 14; Fort +2, Ref +8, Will +1; Perception +8; Harrow Points- 5

"I am sure we will find her if she is there." Garret says once he is dressed in clean and with some gleaming jewelry. "Not that I need it much, but will they let me bring my short sword into the masquerade ball?"

Fine clothes are 15 gp. I get that and some jewelry to go with it to make me look spiffy.

Grand Lodge

Outpost Map

Rules of Etiquette:

Anyone in Dementlieu must follow specific rules of etiquette that are largely unspoken and always changing. It can be challenging to keep up with the most up-to-date expectations, and faux pas can come with unwanted or terrifying consequences. Any faux pas might raise suspicion about the characters—or expose them as impostors.

Duchess Saidra d’Honaire thrives on social manipulation and forces the guests at her Grand Masquerade to create rules of their own. Your group should create one rule, which your table captain will submit to the event administrators as a possible addition to this handout. The event administrators will announce five new rules before part 1 of the adventure begins.

1. When the Bell Tolls
When the city bell tolls, guests say, “May the Duchess favor us all.”

2. No One Nose
Don’t touch your nose while you are speaking to another person.

3. The Bread and Butter of Food Etiquette
Never reach over food.

4. Unquestionable
After greeting a stranger, your next sentence is never a question.

5. Don’t Let Your Mask Slip
Never be unmasked (literally or figuratively).

6. Player Created

Check the rules, and the Duchess will require you to add a rule of your own that will be incorporated in the banquet...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Xune obstinately refused most of the clothing, but then most just shrugged it off. After all, the exotic nature of her huipilli skirt and ehuatl headdress were already somewhat fitting for a costume ball. In the end, she did select a small turquoise earplug along with a gold plated jaguar mask (it looked like gold anyways).

She was much more interested in the stables, pacing around the selections with a gentle hand and soft purring...

Animal Handling, courser: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
Animal Handling, rouncey: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Animal Handling, destrier: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20

...the lighter, faster horses paid her little mind, but there was a pale destrier that seemed to warm to her instantly. She rode it bareback to the loud protestations of the livery handboy, and only after a tense exchange where much was lost in translation did the Valachanian accept a basic saddle. However, she didn't need reminding to be sure to pack enough feed and water for a few days...she genuinely cared for the animal.

----

When the talk of rules began, she offered with some difficulty "Must...bury your droppings at least 50 paces from camp." deadpan. "Is good rule."


Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Appraise +7, Bluff +8, Disable Device +9, Escape Artist +9, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +6, Knowledge (Local) +6, Linguistics +6, Perception +8, Sleight of Hand +9, Stealth +13, Use Magic Device +6
Halfling Rogue 2; Init +4; HP: 16/16; AC 18, Touch 15, FF 14; Fort +2, Ref +8, Will +1; Perception +8; Harrow Points- 5

"That is a wise rule, but I am not sure its the right rule for this event. I think we should say that you should always start a dance with your right foot. That should definitely be good and throw some people off in the right dances." Garret says.


CG Female Half-Elf Artificer 2 | Status:
Stats:
AC 17 | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | Str+0 Dex+1 Con+4 Int+5 Wis+2 Cha-1 | Perc +4, Insight +2
HP 17/17 | Spells 1st 2/2

During the shopping rush, Yunjiang spends several hours looking for the perfect fit. He knows he'll be in disadvantage if he doesn't think carefully. By pure chance, he finds a model that raises an idea.

A nice long dress, with a pattern that imitates the rings of a chain mail... And he thinks, "so why not wear an actual chain mail?" He purchases the dress and a short mail armour, intending to wear them together. The harness with his hammer will be worn on his side, as always, and a strategic cut in the fabric of the dress will allow his right leg to be seen, also showing the hammer to complement the 'forgey' look - and giving him quick access to the tool if needed.

Purchases:

Fine clothes - 15gp
Chain Shirt - 50gp
Riding Horse - 75gp
Saddle - 10gp
Jewels and other complements - 50gp

"Ideally, we should look fow something that gives us an advantage. Since we don't know if ouw wule will be apwoved ow not, we cannot wely on this stwategy." She shrugs. "Any silly idea we can come up with should be alwight."


Aldous frowns as the plan is laid out. A ball? How will I ever pass for a noble? The idea fills him with apprehension, still the boy nods and heads with the others to purchase some finery for the occasion. He follows the lead of the woman, Odile, who seems to understand what is appropriate or not.

"I... like the idea of the dance, leading with the right." Aldous mumbles, noting to himself that he has no plans to take part in any such activities. Nervous hands press at his buttoned shirt as they leave the store. "It sounds like we'll be maked, right? That's good..."

Will also buy some fine clothes and some jewelry.


Purchases:
Fine Clothes 15GP
Tiger Eye Pendant 10GP
Perfume(Cologne) 5GP

Is there a masterwork equivalent for 5E?

A rule? Perhaps a twist on Three Little Pigs for the decadent?

Three Little Pigs
Groups of three must be approached with "little pigs, little pigs, let me in!" before engaging in conversation.

Grand Lodge

Outpost Map
Einhard Allendorf wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

Is there a masterwork equivalent for 5E?

There is not... though I have been implementing one in my home games... ;)

Grand Lodge

Outpost Map

Einhard, you can upgrade your equipment, if you like. Studded leather, perhaps. A pearl for identify or some such expensive spell components, etc. Also, we will give Astralabius a little more time to chime in.


Ok. I figured at the very least Einhard would upgrade an instrument... even if it is just for aesthetics. Did you have a flat mod cost in mind?

Grand Lodge

Outpost Map

Just decide how much you'd like to sink into the instrument, and make a note on your sheet.


CG Female Half-Elf Artificer 2 | Status:
Stats:
AC 17 | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | Str+0 Dex+1 Con+4 Int+5 Wis+2 Cha-1 | Perc +4, Insight +2
HP 17/17 | Spells 1st 2/2

Yunjiang thinks for a moment, the Three Pigs idea has inspired him.

"What if we twy something with booze? If we can manage to make them dwink while we don't, we could have an advantage."

He tries to come up with something.

"Evewy time you say 'yes' ow 'no' you must dwink?" he suggests as an example.


Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Appraise +7, Bluff +8, Disable Device +9, Escape Artist +9, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +6, Knowledge (Local) +6, Linguistics +6, Perception +8, Sleight of Hand +9, Stealth +13, Use Magic Device +6
Halfling Rogue 2; Init +4; HP: 16/16; AC 18, Touch 15, FF 14; Fort +2, Ref +8, Will +1; Perception +8; Harrow Points- 5

"I think if we do something that would actually make people drink, we would be caught in the same trap." Garret says.


CG Female Half-Elf Artificer 2 | Status:
Stats:
AC 17 | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | Str+0 Dex+1 Con+4 Int+5 Wis+2 Cha-1 | Perc +4, Insight +2
HP 17/17 | Spells 1st 2/2

"But we could also have advantage on this... Is thewe any way we can gain special wesistance to alcohol"?

I.e. any spell?

Grand Lodge

Outpost Map

If anyone has access to Protection from Poison, but I think that is a second level spell, no? Maybe if you drop 50 gp on antitoxin... That would give you an hour...


Xune could be easily convinced to drop a share of gold on some antitoxins. I probably have enough for 1 or 2. 75 gp for her horse then not sure about earring and mask.


Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Appraise +7, Bluff +8, Disable Device +9, Escape Artist +9, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +6, Knowledge (Local) +6, Linguistics +6, Perception +8, Sleight of Hand +9, Stealth +13, Use Magic Device +6
Halfling Rogue 2; Init +4; HP: 16/16; AC 18, Touch 15, FF 14; Fort +2, Ref +8, Will +1; Perception +8; Harrow Points- 5

Garret will follow the others lead and pick up a pony to ride in on.


Aeshuura wrote:
Just decide how much you'd like to sink into the instrument, and make a note on your sheet.

Fair enough. Einhard will sink 170GP into improving his instrument.


Zhang Yunjiang wrote:

"But we could also have advantage on this... Is thewe any way we can gain special wesistance to alcohol"?

I.e. any spell?

"Nonsense! Any good Kartakan can hold their mead just fine!" boasts Einhard.


Male Hexblood Rogue: HP 8/8: Perception +3

"I suppose the 'little pigs' idea could be interesting, easy to remember so as not to run afoul of it ourselves at least."

Astralabius will rent a riding horse (75) Fine clothes (15) a fine jacket (35) silver necklace (30) and Studded Leather armor (45)

Grand Lodge

Outpost Map

So what is final vote?

1) Start dances with your right foot forward.

2) Three Little Pigs - Groups of three must be approached with "little pigs, little pigs, let me in!" before engaging in conversation.

3) Yes or No drinking game.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Female Half-Elf Artificer 2 | Status:
Stats:
AC 17 | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | Str+0 Dex+1 Con+4 Int+5 Wis+2 Cha-1 | Perc +4, Insight +2
HP 17/17 | Spells 1st 2/2

I have to vote 3, but only because I like who proposed it :p


Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Appraise +7, Bluff +8, Disable Device +9, Escape Artist +9, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +6, Knowledge (Local) +6, Linguistics +6, Perception +8, Sleight of Hand +9, Stealth +13, Use Magic Device +6
Halfling Rogue 2; Init +4; HP: 16/16; AC 18, Touch 15, FF 14; Fort +2, Ref +8, Will +1; Perception +8; Harrow Points- 5

I will vote for 1. If there is somehow random ties my fall back is 2.


Male Hexblood Rogue: HP 8/8: Perception +3

I'll vote 1 as well


Voted one originally so I'll keep my vote there, but I liked everyone's suggestions.


1, because Xune probably can't count higher than that.


Looks like 1, that’s fine with me


CG Female Half-Elf Artificer 2 | Status:
Stats:
AC 17 | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | Str+0 Dex+1 Con+4 Int+5 Wis+2 Cha-1 | Perc +4, Insight +2
HP 17/17 | Spells 1st 2/2

So we have a winner.

"Alright, so we don't need to buy antitoxins... I hope."

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Outpost Map

Kabe grins and the halfling dips the quill, scribing the rule carefully with a small giggle...

You are all set, Alanik nods with content. Enjoy the ball, folks. But remember, you are in a domain of dread... Don't let your guard down for a second!

The elf wheels himself to the door, awaiting his erstwhile companion's assistance with the door...

I will start the ball officially tomorrow. I am off work today and will be spending time with my wife... Thank you all for your patience!

Grand Lodge

Outpost Map

The time has come for Duchess Saidra’s Grand Masquerade to begin. You have come to her opulent estate on an island in Lucine Bay, joining the other beautifully dressed and masked guests who excitedly line up awaiting permission to enter. You’ve watched many nervous hopefuls be assessed, announced, and ushered in. But others have had their hopes dashed, as their invitations are rejected and torn, or their attire is deemed unacceptable. Now it is your turn.

Astralabius:
Despite wearing the finest clothes and the most extravagant jewels, spending most of their time bumping elbows with other nobles and socialites at fancy parties, the people of Dementlieu live in a state of constant fear. Everyone here
pretends to belong to a social circle higher than their own. The poor maintain a middle-class appearance, while the true middle-class struggle to portray themselves as aristocracy. However, the only true noble in this domain is its Darklord, Duchess Saidra d’Honaire.

You step up to the front doors to the mansion, to see an armed guard and three other pallid guards in fancy dress. The three well dressed folk sniffs as you walk up and one of them can't help but lick their lips with a long tongue. It is obvious that they are some kind of undead with a level of intelligence in their eyes.

Religion DC 12:
These are definitely ghouls.

Everyone make a Charisma (Deception) check. This is a group check, so just because you have a low score doesn't mean you necessarily fail.


Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Appraise +7, Bluff +8, Disable Device +9, Escape Artist +9, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +6, Knowledge (Local) +6, Linguistics +6, Perception +8, Sleight of Hand +9, Stealth +13, Use Magic Device +6
Halfling Rogue 2; Init +4; HP: 16/16; AC 18, Touch 15, FF 14; Fort +2, Ref +8, Will +1; Perception +8; Harrow Points- 5

Religion: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (13) - 1 = 12

Deception: 1d20 ⇒ 8

Garret approaches the door with the others, but at the sight before him his smile falters.


Male Hexblood Rogue: HP 8/8: Perception +3

Eariler Astralabius being the resident expert in Dementlieu politics spoke up before leaving coaching the group "Here in Dementlieu there is an expectation of some form of wealth for any person who wishes to become anything more than the squalid life of the peasantry, I'd recommend you all act the part of someone grander than yourselves at Saidra's party" he says as he looks each member up and down. "Perhaps a minor noble or high ranking merchant. at the very least a gentleman landowner. Coming as our ordinary selves may well fail to even get us into the party at all."

Religion: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

Astralabius approaches the doors near the ground of the group and smiles at the gatekeepers before introducing himself as Astra, the head of a printing guild, and giving a shallow bow.

Deception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Panic grows in Aldous as he approaches the guards, Astralabius's words echoing in his ears. How would he, a simple doctor's assistant, pass as anything but?

Aldous thinks as to what the Doctor would do, were he here. Honestly, it would probably not go well, as little as the Doctor cared for the social niceties incumbent on his Barcan peers. What the Doctor would have - that may just work in his favor, was a blunt distaste for the petty and pompous games the nobility plays. And of course, the Doctor hated the living dead.

And so, when the obviously undead tongue flicks out of the guard's mouth, Aldous's stare surprises himself in its intensity. His voice lacking any trembling or doubt, drips with disfavor, the kind of voice given to someone used to order their lessors about. "Put your tongue back in your mouth, guard. I'm no snack, and this is a lesson you'd best learn now, before it becomes more painful for you. Stand aside and let us in - we've got important people to talk to."

religion: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
deception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


Charisma: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

Since I'm used to 2E Ravenloft, let me ask a some things:

(1) Does Dementlieu normally having undead walking around in plain site? Discoveries like this were usually causes for fear and horror checks. My initial reaction is that Kartakass doesn't have them walking around, so this would be unsettling to say the least.

(2) Is it now common knowledge who the darklord is of a domain?

(3) Is it common knowledge what a darklord is in regards to the setting?


The social hierarchy of Dementlieu as explained by Astralabius was at first lost on Xune, but after many slowly repeated words, hand diagrams, and simple shapes drawn in the sand the concept began to sink in, to an extent.

Hunter and hunted.

In truth she was always the latter...but here in this realm, she must pretend to be the former.

Relgion: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (11) - 1 = 10
Deception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (5) - 1 = 4

Grand Lodge

Outpost Map
Einhard Allendorf wrote:


Since I'm used to 2E Ravenloft, let me ask a some things:

(1) Does Dementlieu normally having undead walking around in plain site? Discoveries like this were usually causes for fear and horror checks. My initial reaction is that Kartakass doesn't have them walking around, so this would be unsettling to say the least.

(2) Is it now common knowledge who the darklord is of a domain?

(3) Is it common knowledge what a darklord is in regards to the setting?

The module does not say, and I cannot find anything in Van Richten's. So, I will say this, it seems that presentation of undead is a power play for the lady of the domain. Adding to her power, by showing openly that she has control over even the undead.

As for the lord/lady of the domain, it is common knowledge for natives of the domain. It is easy enough to learn for visitors. Alanik Ray did mention that the lady putting on the ball was named Duchess Saidra d'Honaire. Astralabius can confirm that she is the Lady of the domain.

All of you are native to a domain of dread, and so you would be familiar of the concept of a Darklord in regards to the setting.


CG Female Half-Elf Artificer 2 | Status:
Stats:
AC 17 | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | Str+0 Dex+1 Con+4 Int+5 Wis+2 Cha-1 | Perc +4, Insight +2
HP 17/17 | Spells 1st 2/2

Deception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14

Yunjiang acts as a high ranking merchant or a noble would do - not even noticing the servants. He turns his head to whoever was talking.

"Sowwy, deaw? You wewe saying...?"

Grand Lodge

Outpost Map

The guards let you in without incident, the one that was licking his lips, bowing in deference at the admonishing. The living one wearing the armor announces each of you by whatever name you put on the invitations, as the guests all turn to regard you...

The grand hall has plenty of room for a dance floor, with tables and chairs set around at the room's edge. Guests are gathered in small groups wearing full regalia, each with an intricate mask concealing their identities. Some are gambling at the tables, many are talking and socializing.

The room is illuminated by crystal chandeliers hanging from a draped ceiling, the candles flickering in response to the movement of the dancers.

The din of conversation and excited voices of gamblers stand out against the playing of a chamber orchestra near the dance floor. The scent of candles and roses waft through the air.

Food in an extravagant spread is set about on all of the various tables around the room.

Intelligence (Arcana) DC 18:
There are minor illusory magicks hiding cracks in the walls and peeling wallpaper. Cobwebs are gathered around the crystal chandeliers.

Wisdom (Pereption) DC 18:
Under the scent of roses and melted candle wax is the smell of spoiled food...


Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Appraise +7, Bluff +8, Disable Device +9, Escape Artist +9, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +6, Knowledge (Local) +6, Linguistics +6, Perception +8, Sleight of Hand +9, Stealth +13, Use Magic Device +6
Halfling Rogue 2; Init +4; HP: 16/16; AC 18, Touch 15, FF 14; Fort +2, Ref +8, Will +1; Perception +8; Harrow Points- 5

Garret turns and heads towards the food hoping to eavesdrop on some early dinner conversations.

Arcana: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (17) - 1 = 16

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

1 to 50 of 230 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / RMH-EP-01: The Grand Masquerade All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.