GM Doug's Lost on the Spirit Road (Inactive)

Game Master Doug Hahn

Maps & Character ref. | Macros


1 to 50 of 190 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

Will you find the way?

Horizon Hunters

CG Human Varisian Wanderer and Cleric of Desna | HP 16/16 | AC 16 | Class DC 17 | F: +4, R: +4, W: +9 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d6 Melee: Star Knife +4 1d4+0 Active conditions: None

Dotting in

Vigilant Seal

Male Hobgoblin Duskwalker Investigator 4 | hp 48/48, hero 2/3 | AC 21, F+8 R+11 W+7 | Speed 25ft | Perception +7, Arcana +10, Crafting +12, Occultism +11, Society +12, Stealth +9 | Current Conditions:

Kralgang shifts uncomfortably, waiting for everyone to arrive.


SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

Since arriving in Minkai months ago, you've been working with Venture-Captain Amara Li to help lay the groundwork for a new lodge and museum. Much of this time has been spent in Sakakabe, a bustling port city built upon a series of steep terraces. The lowest terraces lean against the ruins of a millennia-old fortress; grand mansions and beautiful theaters stand proudly atop the highest. In addition to trade, Sakakabe is known for its pearl divers, nearby silver mines, seafood, temples, shrines, theatres, and gambling establishments.

Amara Li has been busy collecting relics from across the world to house in a new museum here; it's to focus on relics that have been repatriated to Minkai. Amara has been traveling all over the nation to pursue leads and acquire relics from a combination of purchases and donations. Occasionally, you've been called guard the relics from local yakuza and other neer-do-wells.

Today, you've been called to meet the venture-captain at the Kiniro Kyomai, a famous teahouse run by geisha. It's located just off a street called the Way of the Songbird, up on one of the highest terraces. Hope you like walking uphill! It's late morning, so at least there's still a crisp breeze blowing in off the bay.

Perhaps you're traveling together, or you notice fellow Pathfinders walking the same way (up here on Way of the Songbird there is less foot traffic). It might be a good idea to say hello to your companions!

Now is the time for character introductions! If you want to, include what you've been up to over the last few months here in Minkai.

Horizon Hunters

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Human Varisian Wanderer and Cleric of Desna | HP 16/16 | AC 16 | Class DC 17 | F: +4, R: +4, W: +9 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d6 Melee: Star Knife +4 1d4+0 Active conditions: None

As he climbs steadily toward the tea house, Capricio plays a thin wooden flute that he bought in town.

He has a thick mustache and deep set brown eyes. His leather armor and cloak are the color of the night sky and adorned with stars and moons. He carries a lavender wooden lute on his back, decorated with butterflies.

Better suited to the healing arts than to fighting, Capricio has been providing Amara Li and her local agents with divine aid, and a bit of luck, from Desna. He spends the evenings singing for his supper at a local inn.

On recognizing fellow Pathfinders, and greeting anyone he's met before he says:

"Like a cosmic convergence, Mother Moon guides us here."

Vigilant Seal

Male Hobgoblin Duskwalker Investigator 4 | hp 48/48, hero 2/3 | AC 21, F+8 R+11 W+7 | Speed 25ft | Perception +7, Arcana +10, Crafting +12, Occultism +11, Society +12, Stealth +9 | Current Conditions:

Even for a Hobgoblin, Kralgang's pale ash-blue skin is unusual and unnerving, as if somehow frozen between the realms of life and death.

"This uphill journey is as nothing compared to the work before me in the service of the Lady of Bones. I will do my best to protect and aid you all, as is my sworn duty. May our mission be successful, and know that, if any of you should fall, die easy in the knowledge that Pharasma will judge you fairly in her Boneyard."

Kralgang has spent the last few months dedicated to the work they have been asked to do, but has not made much effort to enjoy the local food or culture, preferring his own company to that of others.

Envoy's Alliance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LN Male (he/his) elfbane Hobgoblin Nomad Investigator 4 | HP 40/44 | AC 19| Fort +7; Ref +9; Will +8; +1 vs attacks from traps | Perc: +8 (+9 when using Pursue a Lead or to detect traps); darkvision | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Search | Active conditions:

Haggra makes it to the teahouse. He bows to the geisha who greets him at the door, somewhat suprised that she doesn't bat an eye at seeing a hobgoblin. He had heard that his kind were better treated in some areas of the world, other than Oprak, that is. Not that he has been there since he was a child and the it became a nation.

"Good day, fellow Pathfinders." says Haggra, as he respectfully bows to each of his team mates. "I hope today finds you well.

Haggra has a very shiny spiked chain strapped to his waist. Not quite something one expects a hobgoblin to wield... more indicative of the Nidalese, but he does not wear the holy symbol of The Midnight Lord. Rather, he wears what looks to be some sort of uniform, with a patch that has the outline of a white chess piece.

Envoy's Alliance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG male kobold hookclaw digger swashbuckler (fencer) 2 | hp 26/26 | AC 19 (21 w/ dueling parry), Fort +4, Ref +10, Will +6 | Perc. +6E (Darkvision) | Speed 25ft | Panache: no | Polytool Configuration: Bludgeoning | Current Conditions: | ◆◇↺

A white scaled kobold, wearing a thick, protective leather coat over denim overalls, doffs his mining helmet as he enters the tea house. Hanging from a carabiner on one hip is a strange folding tool, all of its implements currently folded away, and from the other a hammer. Slung across his back are a pick and a shovel.

"Hello fellow Pathfinders. My name Kooz, Kooz Rudar. Me digger for Hookclaw clan, best kobolds in Absalom! We real, blue-collar kobolds, not like hoity-toity Sewer Dragon elites. Me was at continuing education classes on mining science in Numeria when me got call for this mission, now here with you."

Despite his boasts of blue-collar toughness, he seemed to move with a careful grace as he wound his way through the room and took a seat.

Horizon Hunters

1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG female hookclaw kobold (spellscale) alchemist (sorcerer) 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 18 | F +6 R +9 W +4 | Perc +4 | Stealth +7 | Speed:25 ft | Active Conditions: ---

A kobold with blue scales cleans her spectacles, trying to hide her shortness of breath after climbing the hill. "Quite the elevation here; I'm much more used to being underground. Kooz, I'd still like to see your notes from the Numerian class. It's always good to see what my colleagues are teaching."

She introduces herself to the others. "I'm Makkioz, also of the Hookclaw kobolds. I'm a mining engineer, and I teach classes. I've been lending my expertise on old engineering techniques to identify some of the artifacts that VC Li has obtained. There have been quite a few antique tools! I've also been brushing up on my Minkai history while I'm here."

She consults her notes, then prepares her tea in the appropriate local style.

Pronounced like MACK-ee-ozz


SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

Caprico's notes warble up and down the Way of the Songbird as you discuss the Lady of Graves, hoity-toity Sewer Dragons, and Numerian schoolwork. Haggra performs a perfect bow at the entrance to the tea house.

The geisha pauses. Welcome. You are Li's friends, yes? She is expecting six of you. She waits in the garden, but perhaps you could wait a moment for your friend. They may feel awkward coming to the tea ceremony last and alone, after all.

Envoy's Alliance

LN Male (he/his) elfbane Hobgoblin Nomad Investigator 4 | HP 40/44 | AC 19| Fort +7; Ref +9; Will +8; +1 vs attacks from traps | Perc: +8 (+9 when using Pursue a Lead or to detect traps); darkvision | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Search | Active conditions:

"It is as you say. We shall respectfully wait for the Venture-Captain." says Haggra.

Horizon Hunters

CG Human Varisian Wanderer and Cleric of Desna | HP 16/16 | AC 16 | Class DC 17 | F: +4, R: +4, W: +9 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d6 Melee: Star Knife +4 1d4+0 Active conditions: None

While he waits, Capricio notices the white chess piece on Haggra's uniform.

"I'm curious about your patch. If I may ask, what does it signify?"

Vigilant Seal

Male Hobgoblin Duskwalker Investigator 4 | hp 48/48, hero 2/3 | AC 21, F+8 R+11 W+7 | Speed 25ft | Perception +7, Arcana +10, Crafting +12, Occultism +11, Society +12, Stealth +9 | Current Conditions:

"Are we not all truly alone when we stand before the Lady on her throne? All the same, a brief delay for a missing companion is acceptable."

Such a ray of sunshine!

Verdant Wheel

1 person marked this as a favorite.

"Sorry for the delay." Stomping up the steep road, a silver haired gnome calls out. Padding behind him, a spotted cat follows, unremarkable save for the flames that seem to be burning on its pelt without causing harm. "A month here and still no one can stop asking about her. Name's Timtenzekil Tengentrail." Examining the front of the tea house, he clicks his tongue and gestures at a non-flammable spot, which the leopard lays down at with only a little delay.


SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

What a beautiful creature! The geisha uncover a place in the floor, exposing a hearth — the leopard is welcome to lay there. They will even put some chunks of dense wood alongside her; a flaming cat lounging next to red-hot coals will be quite the sight for the teahouse!

You enjoy a tea ceremony with Amara Li in a tranquil garden full of muted blossoms, koi ponds, and waterfalls gurgling over moss-covered stones. A skilled musician sits below a maple tree, idly plucking a samisen with an ivory bachi.

After the ceremony is complete and your bellies are full of matcha, Amara Li sighs in contentment. She puts her cup down and gets to business…


SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

It's the Mission Briefing wall-of-text!

Now, we can talk about your mission.

I fear that misfortune may have struck some of your fellow agents. I hope that you can help them return here to safety, but I fear the task I have to request of you may instead center around recovering what you can from your fallen allies and, if it is safe to do so, completing the mission in their stead. She pauses to see if you balk at the idea of a recovery mission.

Last year, I received a donation of relics from Taldor. The route is lengthy and complicated, so I will spare you unnecessary details. A caravan carrying the relics safely arrived in Hongal to the north, where it met up with a pair of Pathfinder agents, Lin Po and Ti Lan. These agents inspected the cargo, sent me a missive indicating that all was in order, and joined a second caravan to take the Spirit Road through the Forest of Spirits. The journey is understandably long, taking over two months to complete. Still, the caravan is late, and I fear that they may have run into trouble along the way. They were supposed to reach Sakakabe two weeks ago.

While it’s possible that they were waylaid in the northernmost parts of Minkai, I believe it’s far more likely that they ran into trouble in the Forest of Spirits, a mystical place that shelters departed souls and most of the world’s kami. Kami are spiritual guardians with a deep connection to certain living locations or living things. The locals pay great respect to the kami, never intruding further into the forest than their one coastal road, the Spirit Road, and a number of small settlements built around shrines. This should make tracking the caravan simple since there’s only a single road along which they should have had to rest or resupply at some point. I need you to check each of the roadside settlements until you find the last one to have seen the caravan, then track it from there and figure out what happened.” “Be sure to respect the kami and the local traditions honoring them; I don’t want you to come to harm in your journey. The kami are mostly benevolent, so long as they receive the proper respect, but there are some dangers that might have harried the caravan. Bandits, hobgoblins, and giants, among other creatures, dwell within the forest. The forest also hosts some aggressive plants and animals, not to mention malign spirits such as the oni, the sworn enemies of the kami. The locals will know more than I of what perils to expect.


SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

GM Screen:
Makkioz's Nature (T): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

Haggra the Hobgoblin's Nature (T): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Makkioz recalls general information about the Forest of Spirits, including its dense populations of kami and mostly benign spirits that can possess living creatures to share memories, but exert little control over their hosts.

Amara Li nods at Makkioz if she shares that information now. Well done. That is all true.

She looks at each of you. Do you have any questions?

Envoy's Alliance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LN Male (he/his) elfbane Hobgoblin Nomad Investigator 4 | HP 40/44 | AC 19| Fort +7; Ref +9; Will +8; +1 vs attacks from traps | Perc: +8 (+9 when using Pursue a Lead or to detect traps); darkvision | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Search | Active conditions:
Capricio Durey wrote:

While he waits, Capricio notices the white chess piece on Haggra's uniform.

"I'm curious about your patch. If I may ask, what does it signify?"

"My business. White Knight Security Contracting. 'We break in so you don't have to.'" replies Haggra. "In my down time, I help folks make sure their homes are secure."

Verdant Wheel

"So it's a recovery mission. Sad, but not uncommon. Which just makes it sadder." Timtenzekil strokes the long moustache drooping from his face as he ponders the mission. "Did they happen to say what caravan they joined up with? Or is there like to be only one along this road?"

Envoy's Alliance

LN Male (he/his) elfbane Hobgoblin Nomad Investigator 4 | HP 40/44 | AC 19| Fort +7; Ref +9; Will +8; +1 vs attacks from traps | Perc: +8 (+9 when using Pursue a Lead or to detect traps); darkvision | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Search | Active conditions:

"Madam Venture-Captain. Might I ask about the nature of the artifacts in the cargo? There might be something there that I, or my compatriot, Kralgang, could use as a lead in our investigations of this disappearance."

"Are there any specific Oni, flora, or fauna that we should be wary of?".

He bows to Amara Li in respect.
I plan to take Ti Lan as a lead. May take something from the cargo as well.

Vigilant Seal

Male Hobgoblin Duskwalker Investigator 4 | hp 48/48, hero 2/3 | AC 21, F+8 R+11 W+7 | Speed 25ft | Perception +7, Arcana +10, Crafting +12, Occultism +11, Society +12, Stealth +9 | Current Conditions:

"We will wish to pay every respect to these spirits. Are you aware of which behaviours may antagonize or placate them?"

I will take Lin Po as my investigation. If the Venture Captain has any description of what kind of vehicle they were driving (if any), and if it was in any way unique, I would make that my second investigation.


SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros
Timtenzekil wrote:
"Did they happen to say what caravan they joined up with? Or is there like to be only one along this road?"

They formed their own caravan, of a few wagons. There is mostly one main road through the Forest of Spirits; while there may be other caravans the one we're looking for should be easy to find. There are small villages along the road, so they would have seen your caravan.

Haggra the Hobgoblin wrote:
Might I ask about the nature of the artifacts in the cargo?

There are several items of note. There is an antique katana made of strange metal, and some other cultural items that were sitting in a museum in Taldor for centuries. Most important, however, is an ancient paper lantern made from bamboo and horn, painted with beautiful art of a mountain gorge.

Haggra the Hobgoblin wrote:
"Are there any specific Oni, flora, or fauna that we should be wary of?".

You can ask the villagers, they will know more than me.

Kralgang wrote:
Are you aware of which behaviors may antagonize or placate them?"

Every spirit is different! In general, as I said, be sure to respect the kami and the local traditions honoring them! You cannot go wrong that way.

Envoy's Alliance

LN Male (he/his) elfbane Hobgoblin Nomad Investigator 4 | HP 40/44 | AC 19| Fort +7; Ref +9; Will +8; +1 vs attacks from traps | Perc: +8 (+9 when using Pursue a Lead or to detect traps); darkvision | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Search | Active conditions:

Haggra takes a moment, studies the lead of the lantern.

Leads! Too many leads!

”Is there any gear that we will need for this trip, other than wha t you are providing? Also, this humble servant respectfully asks what the Ventrue-Captain is providing. ”


SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

It will take WEEKS to even get to the Forest of Spirits! Of course I will provide you with a wagon stocked with basic supplies. food, water, a repair kit, and a map of Minkai and the Forest of Spirits.

I put the leads on Slide 1 as well. Feel free to edit. And remind me when I inevitably forget.


SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

No more questions? Good. You will set off tomorrow morning.

You can make any purchases before then and get your school items where available. Don't need to log it here with me.


SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

The next morning you load the wagon and set off; the walls of Sakakabe fade in the distance and are swallowed among the plains.

You spend weeks traveling North through the Osogen Grasslands. Whenever you cross paths with the rare traveler or nomadic herder, you can see them coming from miles away.

None have seen the caravan you're looking for.

≜≜≜

Finally, the endless sea of grass is broken by a line crossing the horizon from end to end. It resolves into a massive forest of evergreens and spruce, beckoning with cool shade.

When you enter, the atmosphere changes. The forest is cool and damp and profoundly alive. Snow blankets the ground and clings to branches of towering trees. Birds, rodents, foxes, deer, bears, and numerous other creatures roam through the woods, keeping their distance. The density of the trees suggests that logging is unheard of in this forest — this is a pristine and wild forest.

Animals are not the only creatures moving out in the woods; you occasionally see unexplained movement in the trees and rocks, and feel like someone is watching you.

Hopefully you can find a village soon! After so much travel, you might want relief, comfort, or distraction.

Envoy's Alliance

LN Male (he/his) elfbane Hobgoblin Nomad Investigator 4 | HP 40/44 | AC 19| Fort +7; Ref +9; Will +8; +1 vs attacks from traps | Perc: +8 (+9 when using Pursue a Lead or to detect traps); darkvision | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Search | Active conditions:

"Did you see that?" asks Haggra, as he notices movement. He takes a moment to carefully check out it out.

Verdant Wheel

"Aye. Hard to say if it's natural creatures or something else." Clicking softly to the cat, Timtenzekil scans the sides of the road as well. "Could just be normal predators, but I doubt it."

Horizon Hunters

NG female hookclaw kobold (spellscale) alchemist (sorcerer) 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 18 | F +6 R +9 W +4 | Perc +4 | Stealth +7 | Speed:25 ft | Active Conditions: ---

Makkioz takes notes on everything she sees.

It is strange. I thinks it's good to pay attention to feelings in a place like this."

Horizon Hunters

CG Human Varisian Wanderer and Cleric of Desna | HP 16/16 | AC 16 | Class DC 17 | F: +4, R: +4, W: +9 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d6 Melee: Star Knife +4 1d4+0 Active conditions: None

Peering into the trees, Capricio says, "Let's be careful not to step off the road."

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Hobgoblin Duskwalker Investigator 4 | hp 48/48, hero 2/3 | AC 21, F+8 R+11 W+7 | Speed 25ft | Perception +7, Arcana +10, Crafting +12, Occultism +11, Society +12, Stealth +9 | Current Conditions:

Kralgang will keep an eye out to see if there are any places where locals might regularly make offerings to the forest spirits.

Envoy's Alliance

LN Male (he/his) elfbane Hobgoblin Nomad Investigator 4 | HP 40/44 | AC 19| Fort +7; Ref +9; Will +8; +1 vs attacks from traps | Perc: +8 (+9 when using Pursue a Lead or to detect traps); darkvision | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Search | Active conditions:

Haggra slaps himself in the forehead. "Rice. We should have picked up some rice."

He checks the supplies to see if Amara Li provided them with any rice in their supplies.

Envoy's Alliance

NG male kobold hookclaw digger swashbuckler (fencer) 2 | hp 26/26 | AC 19 (21 w/ dueling parry), Fort +4, Ref +10, Will +6 | Perc. +6E (Darkvision) | Speed 25ft | Panache: no | Polytool Configuration: Bludgeoning | Current Conditions: | ◆◇↺

Kooz keeps a wary eye on the woods to either side. "Feel exposed here on the road. Everything sees us, we see nothing."


SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

GM screen:
1d4 ⇒ 4

Haggra finds short-grain rice in the wagon.

The forest seems spooky at first, but as you settle in you get used to it; the forest just seems… aware. The fact that nothing attacks you certainly helps. Deer and rabbits bound right up to you; they don't even know what it's like being hunted. Along the way, Kralgang notes roadside shrines and little guardian statues standing among the fallen pine needles; he surmises these appease the Kami, and may do so himself.

You pass several small villages and note that people here live in harmony with the forest, revering the kami with shines. None have seen your caravan.

≜≜≜

A week later you reach Tano. The idyllic village seems friendly enough to you, but the leopard is totally pampered. She is given a prime spot in the inn by the hearth and all the best samples of food. Carvings of bear, sika deer, fox, and other forest creatures are on display alongside the usual kami shrines. Village hut art on slide 1

Villagers here savor stories about local spirits; in addition to news and gossip from the outside world, they’re keen to learn all about new magic and magical creatures. They also admire those who can frighten dangerous animals away without doing them harm.

It’s time to gather some information about your missing caravan! Tano has its own charms and foibles, so diplomacy won't cut it here. To really get news from the villagers, you will have to appeal to them on their terms.

Each PC may attempt an Arcana, Society, and Intimidate check (Forest Lore makes sense here, too). This includes any efforts to Aid. You can only attempt/aid on each check once. We’ll do each set in rounds. Improv any details/NPCs about the village if setting a scene for your skill check helps!

Investigators looking for missing NPCs and items get their Pursue a Lead on these checks.

≜≜≜

Tano, the Border Village

Make one Arcana, Society, Intimidate, or Forest Lore check

Capricio Duray
Haggra the Hobgoblin
Kooz
Kralgang Doomseer
Makkioz

Vigilant Seal

Male Hobgoblin Duskwalker Investigator 4 | hp 48/48, hero 2/3 | AC 21, F+8 R+11 W+7 | Speed 25ft | Perception +7, Arcana +10, Crafting +12, Occultism +11, Society +12, Stealth +9 | Current Conditions:

Kralgang will do his best to follow the local customs and, when appropriate, see if anyone has seen the missing traveller Lin Po or their caravan.

Society: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27

Envoy's Alliance

LN Male (he/his) elfbane Hobgoblin Nomad Investigator 4 | HP 40/44 | AC 19| Fort +7; Ref +9; Will +8; +1 vs attacks from traps | Perc: +8 (+9 when using Pursue a Lead or to detect traps); darkvision | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Search | Active conditions:

When the team finds the little shrines, Haggra makes sure to leave an offering of rice.
——
At the village, Haggra asks around. He focuses on the fact that the caravan was returning artifacts to their rightful homes,, and that we are concerned that bandits may have waylaid them, preventing the return of the items

Society, lead: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 8 + 1 = 14 the 5s continue?

if this fails, reroll
Society, lead: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 8 + 1 = 28

Verdant Wheel

Seeing the obvious respect given to the cat, Timtenzekil draws on Uncle Guaril's best tips for persuasion and his own experience handling animals.

Intimidation: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24


SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

Kralgang sees an old man tending to a shrine; he bows just before crossing the torii to show respect, impressing the elder. They have a conversation about local goings-on.

Haggra visits an apothecary run by a young man who proudly displays his great-great-grandparents' kokeshi dolls on a shelf. He strikes up a conversation about the rightful homes of old things.

Timtenzekil finds a young woman mending a fence near the outskirts of town and teaches her a frightening roar that will scare off any boar!

≜≜≜

Tano, the Border Village

Make one Arcana, Society, Intimidate, or Forest Lore check

Capricio Duray
Haggra the Hobgoblin, 1 success
Kooz
Kralgang Doomseer, 1 success
Makkioz
Timtenzekil, 1 success

Envoy's Alliance

NG male kobold hookclaw digger swashbuckler (fencer) 2 | hp 26/26 | AC 19 (21 w/ dueling parry), Fort +4, Ref +10, Will +6 | Perc. +6E (Darkvision) | Speed 25ft | Panache: no | Polytool Configuration: Bludgeoning | Current Conditions: | ◆◇↺

Kooz first explains, then demonstrates techniques particularly suited to scaring off burrowing creatures, when needed.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

Horizon Hunters

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Human Varisian Wanderer and Cleric of Desna | HP 16/16 | AC 16 | Class DC 17 | F: +4, R: +4, W: +9 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d6 Melee: Star Knife +4 1d4+0 Active conditions: None

Capricio, not one who normally considers himself intimidating in any way, demonstrates how they scare vermin away from the caravans in Varisia by shouting and striking a discordant note on his lute.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

"It's even more effective if you have a tambourine."

Dark Archive

Botting Makkioz.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21


1 person marked this as a favorite.
SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

Makkioz helps scares the bunny rabbits with Kooz. Capricio sends them running to the hills! Never will they interfere with the garden again. At least, until Caprico is well away. Thank goodness he didn't have a tambourine!

6/6 successes!

≜≜≜

The townsfolk are more than happy to trade news with you! In fact, you integrate with the village so well that its charms and foibles begin to rub off on you.

The villagers know much about the forest and its kami, and so readily share their stories with you that you are able to really internalize all of this information. The people of Tano have truly taught about the forest.

However, their superstitions make you feel strangely beholden to the beasts of the woods. This reverence rubs off in a way that exposes you to danger! You can't look into the woods without feeling a little afraid.

For the rest of the scenario you get a +2 untyped bonus to Lore checks and checks to Recall Knowledge. You also gain Weakness 2 against natural attacks! (I've updated the macros already with this.)

≜≜≜

Lin Po and Ti Lan were here just days ago. The Pathfinders took a little-used detour on the Eastern branch of the road — an unreliable and meandering path known to change over time, seemingly rerouting to avoid disturbing the wildlife.

Despite sincere warnings from the villagers, the caravan chose this path — they seemed oddly determined to do so, in fact. However, they refused to share their reasoning with the villagers. In turn, the villagers didn't pry.

Vigilant Seal

Male Hobgoblin Duskwalker Investigator 4 | hp 48/48, hero 2/3 | AC 21, F+8 R+11 W+7 | Speed 25ft | Perception +7, Arcana +10, Crafting +12, Occultism +11, Society +12, Stealth +9 | Current Conditions:

"We should follow this path."

Kralgang will have his shortbow ready as they follow the trail of the missing Pathfinders, glancing at the woods anxiously.


SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

GM Screen:

Capricio Duray, Detect Magic: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Haggra the Hobgoblin, Search: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Kooz, Avoid Notice: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Kralgang Doomseer, Avoid Notice: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Makkioz, Search: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Timtenzekil, Search: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Guard: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
1: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
2: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

Just as Kralgang turns to the door, someone screams HELP! THE VILLAGE IS UNDER ATTACK!

You dash out from the inn and see three skeletal creatures entering the village! They stomp mindlessly across a fence, chopping down someone's azaleas! One of the creatures carries a longsword and shield and slashes at the flowers with the grace of a trained warrior. The other two look a little less well-equipped, and clumsily wield scimitars.

The peaceful villagers flee in utter terror. Luckily, you're here. You draw weapons as the undead turn to you…

≜≜≜

Could it Be? Are You Just In Time to Save Tano?

Weapons can be drawn.

Kooz
Kralgang Doomseer
Haggra the Hobgoblin

Skeleton 1
Timtenzekil
Capricio
Warrior Skeleton (unnumbered)
Skeleton 2
Makkioz

≜≜≜

DC 16 Religion or Undead Lore on Warrior Skeleton:
This is a Skeletal champion; an evil undead skeleton. They resist cold, electricity, fire, piercing, and slashing.

DC 26 or second success:

Spoiler:
They have Attack of Opportunity!

DC 13 Religion or Undead Lore on Numbered Skeleton:
This is a Skeleton Guard, an evil undead skeleton. They resist cold, electricity, fire, piercing, and slashing.

DC 23 or second success:

Spoiler:
As undead they are immune to death effects, disease, mental, paralyzed, poison, and unconscious.

Envoy's Alliance

LN Male (he/his) elfbane Hobgoblin Nomad Investigator 4 | HP 40/44 | AC 19| Fort +7; Ref +9; Will +8; +1 vs attacks from traps | Perc: +8 (+9 when using Pursue a Lead or to detect traps); darkvision | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Search | Active conditions:

Haggra moves up, realizing that most of his tricks weren't going to work. So, rather than over extending himself by getting too far in front of everyone, he then readies to strike with his meteor hammer as soon as anyone comes within 10' of him.

Readied for first foe within 10':

+1 Meteor Hammer: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23 bludgeoning: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Vigilant Seal

Male Hobgoblin Duskwalker Investigator 4 | hp 48/48, hero 2/3 | AC 21, F+8 R+11 W+7 | Speed 25ft | Perception +7, Arcana +10, Crafting +12, Occultism +11, Society +12, Stealth +9 | Current Conditions:

Kralgang boils with anger at the sight of creatures so anathema to the blessings of Pharasma. He tries to gather his focus into visualizing his attack on the warrior skeleton.

Devise a Stratagem: 1d20 ⇒ 4

He tries to remember what he knows about these creatures from his religious training.
Recall Knowledge: Religion on warrior skeleton: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18

Note that he gets a free attempt to recall knowledge as part of Devising a Stratagem due to Known Weaknesses

His anger causes his hands to shake at the thought of this abomination, but he shares what he learned.

"We need bludgeoning weapons to harm it, and it will resist cold, fire and electricity."

He moves to a new position to get a better shot at the enemies.

Actions: Devise a Strat (w free recall knowledge), stride, stride.

Envoy's Alliance

LN Male (he/his) elfbane Hobgoblin Nomad Investigator 4 | HP 40/44 | AC 19| Fort +7; Ref +9; Will +8; +1 vs attacks from traps | Perc: +8 (+9 when using Pursue a Lead or to detect traps); darkvision | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 0/3 | Exploration Mode: Search | Active conditions:

"I guess my meteor hammer will be useful, then, Kralgang."


SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

I am going to delay Kooz because it's not a bad idea and the enemy is just going to move closer.

Kooz waits. The first skeleton mindlessly clatters in, trampling the garden's fence and across the flower beds before having its skull cracked by Haggra's hammer — proving the hobgoblin right. It still stands but is only held together by a few unraveling ligaments.

≜≜≜

You're Just In Time to Save Tano!

Weapons can be drawn.

Kralgang Doomseer
Haggra the Hobgoblin, reaction used
Skeleton 1, -13HP
Kooz
Timtenzekil
Capricio

Tougher Skeleton (unnumbered)
Skeleton 2
Makkioz

≜≜≜

DC 16 Religion or Undead Lore on Warrior Skeleton:

These skeletons have Attack of Opportunity!

DC 13 Religion or Undead Lore on Numbered Skeleton:
This is a Skeleton Guard, an evil undead skeleton. They resist cold, electricity, fire, piercing, and slashing.

DC 23 or second success:

Spoiler:
As undead they are immune to death effects, disease, mental, paralyzed, poison, and unconscious.

Verdant Wheel

Seeing the undead monsters advancing, Timtenzekil steps up with a few quick gestures and primal words, launching an arc of lightning to try and destroy the unraveling horror completely.

Electric Arc Damage (DC18): 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

gm acreen:
1d20 ⇒ 10

The flower-trampling marauder clatters to the ground, a smoking hole in its skull.

≜≜≜

You're Just In Time to Save Tano!

Weapons can be drawn.

Kralgang Doomseer
Haggra the Hobgoblin, reaction used
Kooz
Timtenzekil
Capricio
Tougher Skeleton (unnumbered)
Skeleton 2
Makkioz

≜≜≜

DC 16 Religion or Undead Lore on Warrior Skeleton:

These skeletons have Attack of Opportunity!

DC 13 Religion or Undead Lore on Numbered Skeleton:
This is a Skeleton Guard, an evil undead skeleton. They resist cold, electricity, fire, piercing, and slashing.

DC 23 or second success:

Spoiler:
As undead they are immune to death effects, disease, mental, paralyzed, poison, and unconscious.

1 to 50 of 190 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Doug's Lost on the Spirit Road All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.