[5e] Descent into Avernus

Game Master mishima


1,051 to 1,100 of 3,200 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>

AvernusArt 2Grid

An Uncommon Taste (Gorn)

The bird cocks its head "Hmm. You were expecting Mandorcai I suppose. He's dead...in there." it pecks towards the locked door "New Master now, and one you'd rather avoid, trust me!"

The reluctant chef, though hardly dressed for the part and annoyed beyond all rationality at the latest revelations finally barked an order, and life was thus summoned into the universe.

The kitchen exploded in a flurry of activity: jerry cans of spring water floated forward to dump their contents into pots and basins, cutlery was rapidly sharpened and cutting boards set into position, fires were stoked and tamed to medium-high heat, onions were peeled, tomatoes were blanched...the spork was simultaneously invented and conjured forth by some dark magic. Gorn turned his head just in time to see a chicken decapitated by some invisible force, before all of its feathers simply moved elsewhere until the bald meat danced slowly into a stew. Everything held by busy, unseen hands whose existence apparently was no joke at all...and all responded to every minute order of the Chef de Cuisine.

Everything seemed to be going to Gorn's plan until he felt Shellcracker being stolen, lifted away (oh hell no!). The raven, that mysterious croaker who seemed to advocate for the lesser staff, interjected "But-but-but sire, you expect them to crack that shell with anything less? You're the expert on seafood of course, yet..." A pair of crackers narrowly larger than a pair of children's safety scissors hovered into view for comparison. "...otherwise we will have to make due with these." it pleaded.

I guess let me know if Gorn is willing to give up Shellcracker to the staff, decides to kill it himself, or forces them to handle it by other means. Or something else. Rolls well noted thanks, will work those in next time. ;) This is zany and not going to plan at all if you couldn't tell. Good times.


AvernusArt 2Grid

High-class Kegger (Mal)

Mal wrote:
How much gold for the stakeout by committee?

Hrm these are wealthy lifestyle people but not quite truly aristocratic, so they'd be pulling in something like 4 gp per day. I suppose an extra 2 gp per day (50% increase) would be enough to get their attention. There are the 3 owners, 4 widows and 3 orphans for a total of 10 people you could potentially recruit. Let me know how many, how long and note your expense.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

I have 381.97 gold plus my starting 15 which I never spent... Does that roll stand as my sole try or can I try another merchant? Seems to Grim he is paying a steep price for half a job. AC18 is still AC18 but Grim is something of a stickler.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

High-class Kegger

Mal was too cheap to entice any of the locals to watch for him. He was raised in too much squalor to let that much gold go for that little effort.

He stays until night fall, when even his darkvision cannot see the villa. He pays for a room with a bath, because why not treat himself while he is here, so he can wake up and hide on the balcony when the sun rises.

The now clean and respectable-looking halfling information broker, rumor monger sounds so Lower City, persuades a couple of servants to cover his stakeout during the few times when he has to use their restroom.

He inventories what he can until the next meeting with the Fisters. He needs more of them to watch, but evidently this is his world.

He'll do a 24 hour cycle missing the night time when he cannot see the villa from the balcony.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Religion, advantage: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 Just my luck... but it actually makes sense... I am the tool that uses Bane's precepts against him, and as such, I am always in danger of falling off the razor's edge...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

You keep the higher roll, so mission partially successful here


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Haha, I meant that the advantage meant nothing... ;)


AvernusArt 2Grid

Hard-chiseled Features (Grim)

Grim wrote:
I have 381.97 gold plus my starting 15 which I never spent... Does that roll stand as my sole try or can I try another merchant? Seems to Grim he is paying a steep price for half a job. AC18 is still AC18 but Grim is something of a stickler.

The scene there was you trying various merchants for a few hours and finding the best you could.

I happened to roll the max for the price range I had in mind (1d4, rolled 4). Then, if your persuasion roll was higher it may have worked for a 10-20 percent discount. You can try again with a different smith, but its going to eat time and eventually too many rolls will drag the completion time past the end of downtime.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Okay

Thanks then... do your best to not make it look like it wasnt just dragged out of a sewer and hammered apart. He pays 200 gold down and then spends his downtime tracking down a potion of healing and helping his allies when he isn't sewer crawling to fix profane altars etc. He also commissions a sturdy canvas surcoat for the armour... if for no other reason to hide its deficiencies while proclaiming his service to Kelemvor.


AvernusArt 2Grid

The party had a potion of healing from the zombie fight. Otherwise you can buy more for 50 gp.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
AvernusArt 2Grid

High-class Kegger (Mal)

1d20 ⇒ 4
1d20 ⇒ 15
1d20 ⇒ 14

Mal, as a result of your surveillance you nail down a few facts about the comings and goings of the residents and staff of Vanthampur Villa, as well as a few insights and speculations:

1. Guards seem to patrol in groups of 3. Though difficult to track, you're able to estimate 9-12 of them in the exterior yard alone. You spot 5-8 others coming in and out of the mansion at times.
2. The guards do not live at the villa and change shifts every 6 hours, at least during the day.
3. Trees on the west side might offer access to the second level via the nearby red clay tile roofs.
4. Unlike the enchanted streetways, the Villa features only mundane lighting. Oil lanterns lit at dusk illuminating the yard and villa exterior.
5. There are apparently 4 servants: a decrepit 70 year old butler, a groundskeeper slash stablemaster, a cook, and young maid. The young maid must be Ambra, and is apparently the only one not to live on site.
6. Near sunset, you catch the odd sight of Ambra playing with a bizarre kitty cat with wings.
7. The detached stable house is near the postern gate and houses at least 4 draft horses. Even from a distance, the characteristic clinking and banging suggest a smithy within the same area.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5
GM Infinity wrote:
The party had a potion of healing from the zombie fight. Otherwise you can buy more for 50 gp.

Getting another... useful things to have


AvernusArt 2Grid

Under New Management (Grim/Donal)

Raylen wiped the blue gooey entrails from his ceremonial blade before clasping Donal on the shoulder, he had the proud look of a father "Fret not, acolyte...there are few unordained that could recite the tones as well as you have." he returns the clean blade to the sheathe on his back "Bane's Aspect has vacated...a victory for all free folk...he can no longer draw sustenance from this place. We must now turn our attentions to the Crown Prince of Murghom, as he was once called..." glancing to Grim with an assuring nod "...a greater foe for brothers of Kelemvor, raising Deathbringers, Withering Lords, and Bone Dancers when there should be naught but peace."

You all nose around the unexplored section of the dungeon, sure that Myrkul's altar must be somewhere nearby. There is little doubt you've found it when you come across a smooth dark block of granite submerged in humanoid bones and skulls, engraved with an equilateral triangle. Atop the altar are dozens of half-melted black candles, unlit.

Raylen prepares the ostensorium...

Part 3 of this little skill challenge, its Religion rolls time!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal approaches the altar, much like before, reciting the liturgy to break the foundation of Evil... Torm is at my side, I am his hand...

Religion: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14
Foraging for a Friend (Donal) wrote:

The woman looks so relieved her eyes glisten with tears "...we were hopeful to reach the Shrine of Suffering in Heapside, we were told the priests there were friendly to followers of Torm..." It seemed reasonable, after all Torm was said to lead the Triad, an alliance with the deities Bahamut and Ilmater...an analogous, positive reflection of the Dead Three. Surely one of Torm's would be welcome at Ilmater's Shrine.

Then again, this was Baldur's Gate...a dystopian cesspool. More likely the religion was simply a tool for control. If people unquestioningly believe that suffering makes them worthy, that pain has nobility to it, they are less likely to demand safe working conditions, higher pay, or more rights. Such beliefs are great for growing the coffers of those in power.

This woman had nowhere to turn though, except her hope.

Thus when Donal handed her the bundles it suddenly filled her life with greater purpose than just the survival of herself and her children. "I...I'll find a way, sire." she promised. "They say they'll let us out of the encampment after full processing...but it never ends! They're hunting our paladins...I just don't understand it." shaking her head.

I do not either. I feel that someone is manipulating things for power, and the Hellriders are a threat to them. I will look to Heapside. Keep the faith and He will provide. Try to steer clear of the Fist, if you can... they... we are not good people.

Donal tries to give her a reassuring look, but cannot keep the truth from his eyes, Torm bless you and your children.

I guess I will head Heapside!


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5
Donal the Seeker wrote:

Donal approaches the altar, much like before, reciting the liturgy to break the foundation of Evil... Torm is at my side, I am his hand...

Religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

Again the prayers flow freely and readily from Evendurs lips. His training and his study coming to the fore. He can feel the calm peace of Kelemvor enter the room, soothing like cold over an infected wound.

Silver Crusade

| HP: 29/40[2]| Rage: 2/3{+2}|SnaX: 1/2 HD 3 melee: +5/2d6+3 |Init: +2 Perc: +3 | Insp = no |Human Barb3| AC: 16

"No no no no no no nonononononono NO!!" Gorn yells at the seriously squirrely raven. "That is NOT how you do it. Aaaaaaand _this_ is why I'm the chef and you are not.

You don't -actually- use a hammer to crack shellfish open. Not if there's another way.

Just slice it apart, boil it for 8 to ten minutes, then use a knife to pry it open.

Admittedly this might take a slightly larger knife, but the point is that you don't actually need to hit it with a hammer to get it open.

I mean, if we had a dozen Roc eggs, that would be different. Obviously.

Alright, go try that and let me know how it goes."

Gorn takes a moment to tap his chin in ulfish thought.

"I'm burning with curiosity. What was the plan normally to deal with that thing? I mean, had I not been here or not had Shellcracker with me? Do you normally use your normal-crab-sized crableg crackers on that? I mean, for a kitchen this well stocked I'm just a bit surprised that you don't have a specialized tool for that. Anyway, nevermind, go do what I said and let me know how it goes."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
AvernusArt 2Grid

Under New Management (Grim/Donal)

Raylen: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

The ancient holy dance of mortals in their appeal to greater powers had here, at the font of undeath, exceeded what most scholars thought possible. For it was a group of mixed faiths (with one in their rank not even touched by the divine in the traditional, technical sense) banished the Aspect of Myrkul while positing such authority that no lingering creature could possibly challenge them.

But the true miracle was there at the Source. At first it seemed he had once again mispronounced the consecrations, and the Aspect of Kelemvor would not be summoned as the scrolls intended. What soon became clear was that his speech was in truth taken by another, drawn to a different rhyme and verse closer to his heart...embodied in the immortal soul here made manifest.

What came instead was an Aspect of Torm.

Conversion success. Its an altar of Torm now thanks to the nat 20 on Donal's part.


AvernusArt 2Grid

An Uncommon Taste (Gorn)

"Poison." the raven responded, taking flight to a tall herb cabinet.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5
GM Infinity wrote:

Under New Management (Grim/Donal)

[dice=Raylen]1d20+4

The ancient holy dance of mortals in their appeal to greater powers had here, at the font of undeath, exceeded what most scholars thought possible. For it was a group of mixed faiths (with one in their rank not even touched by the divine in the traditional, technical sense) banished the Aspect of Myrkul while positing such authority that no lingering creature could possibly challenge them.

But the true miracle was there at the Source. At first it seemed he had once again mispronounced the consecrations, and the Aspect of Kelemvor would not be summoned as the scrolls intended. What soon became clear was that his speech was in truth taken by another, drawn to a different rhyme and verse closer to his heart...embodied in the immortal soul here made manifest.

What came instead was an Aspect of Torm.

Conversion success. Its an altar of Torm now thanks to the nat 20 on Donal's part.

Grim smiles in satisfaction.

It is fitting I suppose.

He bows respectfully to the Altar, then to Donal.

My thanks my friends... let's burn out or chop out those statues.

Edit: Fixed


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Statues, we dealt with the altars... ;)


AvernusArt 2Grid

(Grim/Donal) For the statues, lets just say whoever is doing the breaking/burning of an individual statue needs to roll religion. There are 3, one for each god.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Religion for Bane: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Religion for Myrkul: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

The statue seemed very resistant to his prayers, mocking him almost...


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14
Evendur "Grim" Greymantle wrote:

[dice=Religion for Myrkul]1d20 + 5

The statue seemed very resistant to his prayers, mocking him almost...

Hopefully, these are easier than the altars... >.<


1 person marked this as a favorite.
AvernusArt 2Grid

An Uncommon Taste (Gorn)

There at the top of the herb cabinet, the raven made a remarkable transformation. Stretching out its wings, its feathers molted, one by one, until only a bat-like membrane remained. Its glossy black eyes and long seed crunching beak reduced into the ugliest little baby face you've ever seen, with a pair of spiraling horns pointing random directions bursting out its forehead. The raven's talons shrunk but still had the tridactyl form of a bird, and a pair of arms unfurled from its torso as the bird's breast exploded. Finally, a long scorpion tail winded out of its tail bone holding a tiny razor sharp stinger.

Insight 12:
Wait...raven...invisibility...shapechanging. Wasn't the halfling talking about creatures like this? Was he at this very moment surrounded by devils in hell's kitchen? And did that one just pull a perfectly browned quiche out of the oven?

It offers the Chef de Cuisine a thumbs up before absconding to the giant crustacean's cage. "On it, boss." Larger than most peasant shacks, the beast was nevertheless restrained and the proverbial sitting duck. The flying creature rested atop its its cephalothorax, stabbing it in the eye-stalks repeatedly.

The beast roared in agony, but the spread of the black ichor in its veins was rapid, and its final death throes were soon forthcoming as the delicious meat involuntarily snapped and cracked as the communication with its brain halted. "So long, Dennis." the creature seemed to snicker at the corpse.

A shiny Zweihander hovered across the kitchen, held aloft by 4 or 5 of the invisible servants and over the next few hours dissected the remains into cauldron sized portions for rapid boiling.

Gorn wrote:

Chefs!: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

Chefs!: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Chefs!: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

Gorn did little work himself, instead taking a more managerial role common to the title. Things started out rather subpar, and the chef was not happy. Rookie mistakes were made on the part of the staff and he cursed their lack of visibility, it made it harder to offer any meaningful corrective course. Still, the first 7 courses were passable, and starting all over wasn't an option. The team produced:

1. A sweet turnip soup in veal stock, favorite of the late Prince Obarskyr of Cormyr.
2. Fried frog legs with cauliflower sauce, topped with fresh parsley.
3. Truffle souffle.
4. Pigeon and artichoke terrine with a mango chutney.
5. Caviar quiche (perfectly browned).
6. Crunchy endive-and-apple salad with walnut dressing.
7. Steamed Dennis with a wine sauce on pasta.

There was slight improvement over the next few hours as word of the guests appreciation trickled in, and those boosting words combined with Gorn's authority seemed to energize the staff. The pretty little dishes flew upstairs almost as fast as the hidden helpers were creating them. The next 7 courses were:

8. Scallops a la Waterdeep
9. Dennis declination (jelly)
10. Cut of Dover sole with leek marmalade and Dennis jus
11. Coeur de laitue a la truffe
12. Boudins Richelieu
13. Wild mallard duck in four services (consommé, confit leg, magret, and of course finally the duck liver)
14. Petit pois a la franáaise

Gorn knew ordering the courses was paramount to success. Each new course, besides being a delight, had to neutralize, counter, or complement the previous in order to stay interesting and healthy. Prepared for the 10 guests, it was a massive ordeal. Yet individually, the 21 courses should deliver satisfaction, not a sense of bloating. Gorn wisely made a last minute change to the careful sequence, crowning his achievement in a careful selection of desserts:

15. Cardoon gratin with minced Dennis
16. Calashite chard au jus
17. Icewind pear sorbet
18. Mango salad with lemon balm jus
19. Warm chocolate millefeuille
20. Vanilla souffle
21. Chocolate petit fours (cake)

As the activity wound down in the kitchen, Gorn was perhaps tempted to show his face to the guests and Master of the House upstairs. The chef always burst onto the social stage at the end of a meal, right? But the raven turned devil's earlier warning of a dead Mandorcai behind the micro-brewery door had him second guessing himself.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Under New Management (Grim/Donal)

Mentally and spiritually exhausted, the 3 men of god nevertheless relentlessly pursued completion of the task they had set for themselves. A quick inspection revealed the 150 lb wood reliquaries to contain a few old rusty ceremonial implements, bones, and ancient stone necklaces. Nothing appeared to be anything more than mundane, though Donal checked twice on the Bane statue that had earlier force him and the others to kneel. Whatever had given the Bane figurine such power apparently had left with the negation of his altar. The statues broke easily under blade and foot, were set ablaze for good measure. It was a merry time, full of rejoicing.

So, the Myrkul statue was the only one trapped, but since you converted its altar it didn't function anymore. Sort of worked out nice for players, since had you failed the DC 15 check here and not at least negated the matching altar, Grim would have been cursed and unable to benefit from magical healing. I really thought someone was going to break them after the death head fight, but no one went for it. :)

On the way back out, the team encounters a group of Watch confronting the other Fist draftees "Last warning. This is private property. You do not have authority to freely traipse about down here. If you continue to ignore the law, both you and your commanding officers will be arrested."


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

We are done and leaving, Donal says, stone-faced, It's all yours.

Turning to the other Flaming Fist guards, Come on, it's just about lunchtime!


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Without much of a glance, and knowing these men are likely on the same nobles payroll that instigated all the chaos he paid them scant respect.

The sewers and crypts that were crawling with death crazed cultists are private property? There's a thought... well, you seem to be the very men I'd want in charge so I'll leave you to it.

Shake a leg and back to barracks you lot, he called out to the Fists.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Alrighty, that pretty much concludes the Under New Management scene then. Hope you had fun/got some material for your character development. Your actions for the moment might seem rather thankless, but who knows what the future has in store. ;)

Looks like I have a loose end with Donal and the Ilmater shrine, and Gorn's scene. After that we can probably reunite on the timeline and get back to the adventure.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Sounds good!


AvernusArt 2Grid

Foraging for a Friend (Donal)

Help all who suffered, no matter who they were or how they suffered...such the Adorned of the Ilmatari pledged. To carry the burdens and pains of others required a steady supply of poor, sick and tormented...and Baldur's Gate could always oblige. Thus the Shrine of Suffering was something of a permanent monument in Heapside.

Donal followed the cracking sound of the whip as he thread a wandering line through a tight crowd. Heapside was a mostly residential middle-class neighborhood that stole a portion of the safety of Upper City and mixed it with the reduced prices and quality characteristic of Lower. Here, the Tormtar was equally likely to be stabbed in the street as he was to be kindly offered the latest issue of Baldur's Mouth...the news and gossip rag making their headquarters here.

Someone had tied a kite to an upper balcony railing, and the thin diamond followed the mass of people as they pushed near the shrine. There the clergy offered meager portions of food for the hungry, smaller amounts of coin for the poor, and gratuitous self-flagellation for the guilty. Bordering the plaza was a ring of makeshift homeless shelters, and the slight but tangy smell of the dead lingered in the air near a few shrouded hand-drawn wagons. No doubt the latest supply of holy ground burials for the adjacent crypt.

After a few moments of reason and insight, the Tormtar identified an older halfling priest to be the center of operations here in the small square, the others called him Brother Hodges.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5
GM Infinity wrote:

Alrighty, that pretty much concludes the Under New Management scene then. Hope you had fun/got some material for your character development. Your actions for the moment might seem rather thankless, but who knows what the future has in store. ;)

Looks like I have a loose end with Donal and the Ilmater shrine, and Gorn's scene. After that we can probably reunite on the timeline and get back to the adventure.

Youre kidding right? Reward number one was some fun game play and character development and number two was not getting cursed with that massively inventive trap/curse. That's some clever writing. Something I fully intend to steal in someway


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Brother Hodges? Donal approaches the halfling, Can you spare a moment?

The agent of Torm takes the halfling aside and presents, My team and I are about to wage war on an insidious evil and I do not wish to enter without some armor. Do you think that you could use any contacts or leverage that you have to find me some enchanted protection? I hope to find something, perhaps adamantine...


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

At the Livery Shack, planning to hit the Low Lantern and capture brother Amrik, part deux

After Mal completes his incense smoke ritual to confirm the lack of imps in the Livery Shack, he opens his second planning session with his squad of Fisters. "Right. So, this is my world, I've collected information on our two locations."

He spreads plans on the table, "here're the plans for the Ellell. I think we need to visit Amrik during the day when patrons are light. Pay attention to the notes."

After they had a chance to review the drawings, he says, "I've also cased Veevee. This is what I've learned."

Ellell = Low Lantern. Veevee = Vanthampur Villa


AvernusArt 2Grid

Foraging for a Friend (Donal)

Donal couldn't help have his eyes drawn to the number of fresh lacerations decorating the simply (even scantily) dressed priest, while his demeanor appeared caring and sensitive "A brother of the Triad? Long and strong as Daern's devotion..." he nodded once quick in approval, invoking the old saying. At the mention of adamantine the halfling rocked on his feet nimbly a few moments "Star metal...? Aye, I've heard the tales of Torm's true realm 'battlements of diamond and gates of adamantine'...as the lyrics say? I wager in a set of that ye'd stand as mighty as the holy fortress itself!" It takes a moment for the starry eyed elder to return from his imagination before "Well I see no harm in sending a few letters. Must be a friend out there for ya, as dark as it gets, eh? And we got friends high and low and everywhere between. But what now's this insidious evil ye speak of? How can the Church of Ilmater help find forgiveness and restore the good within them?"

Silver Crusade

| HP: 29/40[2]| Rage: 2/3{+2}|SnaX: 1/2 HD 3 melee: +5/2d6+3 |Init: +2 Perc: +3 | Insp = no |Human Barb3| AC: 16

Gorn rested heavily on a grounded Shellcracker, snacking on a leftover petit four. 'Wow. These came out really well,' he thinks, looking back over his ordeal as a great warrior might look over a battlefield, victorious, strewn with the enemy dead.

Still, the victory did not seem complete.

For starters, without a merry band of visible and corporeal kitchen staff to smack about and laugh with, there was no camaraderie that had always followed such a great effort. And then there was the question of who they were cooking for. Usually the master of the house would dip their head in, either to deliver someone's 'compliments to the chef' or to give some commentary or final directive on the direction of the courses.

So too, despite the protean crow's helpful handling of Dennis (and, he hadn't known he had been called Dennis, but then he hadn't bothered to find out) he -still- hadn't seen hide nor nor hair of all this promised compensation. And that bothered him.

Well that tears it. It the mountain wasn't going to come to Gorn, then....

Gorn bursts into the main room, a great smile plastered on his face and his thick arms held wide in triumph.

Let the games begin.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

You have my thanks, Brother Hodges.

Donal gives the halfling a troubled look, The Dead Three have a foothold in the city. One of the damned fool nobles thinks that she can control them and use them to her advantage. We have reconsecrated a couple of altars to Torm and Kelemvor, severed the connection of another to Bane, and destroyed three cursed statues thus far, but we need to dig the rotten tree out by the roots.

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Gorn Steelbreaker wrote:

Gorn bursts into the main room, a great smile plastered on his face and his thick arms held wide in triumph.

Let the games begin.

Loving it - Gorn has proven to be a gift that keeps giving


AvernusArt 2Grid

Foraging for a Friend (Donal)

Hodges chewed Donal's words before offering a fragment of something resembling wisdom "Remember forgiveness...it is perhaps not the oak's fault it rots."

Alrighty so adamantine breastplate will be available in less than a tenday from the dwarves of Blackgate (a neighborhood outside the gates on the route to Waterdeep).

1d6 ⇒ 4

Price will be 800 gp (base 400+(4*100)).


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal scowls and hands four bundles to Hodges, I have half that amount. Give them this as a down payment. I will return with the remaining amount as soon as I can.

Spend 400 gp.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Could I commission the use of a chain shirt from the Fist Armory? In case we have to stealth?


AvernusArt 2Grid

Sure.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

My priest has chainmail he'd be willing to give you to sell to raise funds if need be

After budgeting 300 for armour, 50 for a potion? He has just enough to cover his tithe to the church with a little left over for a well earned beer or two with Father Raylen.

397= 39.7 for Tithes. So 300, 350, 389.7... leaving him 7 gold after drinking 3 silvers in celebration. Total gold in purse = 22. It's not an oath of poverty per se, it just seems that way


AvernusArt 2Grid

An Uncommon Taste (Gorn)

Gorn follows the sounds of dishes clattering and voices chattering echoing through the mansion. The rooms themselves shift and counter his progress through some labyrinthian animation. A drawing room's walls fold like paper in complex origami, whose underside reasserts itself as a solarium. A children's bedroom crumbles to grains of sand at the slightest touch, only to ameliorate as a classy boudoir. Still, guiding tugs on his tunic from some invisible butler correct course, and soon enough the dining room lies before him.

Later, if asked, Gorn would be unable to even tell you the color of the table. For dominating his vision, his conscious, his soul were 12 horrific creatures far beyond the nightmares of men of the Heartlands...lips and fang still wet from Dennis jus. Some were clad in, or rather made from heavy black plate with a thousand spikes and eyes aflame. Others were stringy, bat-winged monsters with crooked claws and crowns of horns. Another had snakes where a bushy beard should've been, with a long tail and yellow eyes that seemed to mesmerize Gorn in his tracks.

Rising at the master's seat there at the head of the table was a siamese twin of chain and fat. Massively obese, an infinite number of chains of all sizes ran like water across the creature's bulbous flesh, tightening and slashing in some personal pleasure or pain.

Mega-fat-ass version of this with 2 bodies and 2 heads.

It rose immediately to greet Gorn, absorbing his smile as darkness absorbs light (or alternatively, as rice absorbs water) "Ah yes, our celebrity chef has come." its dual-voice was separated by an octave but otherwise in unison...thunderous, shaking the sporks, goblets, and now empty plates from the 21 course meal. "The reviews are in! Delectable! Mouthwatering! Succulent!" The guests concur with many a 'here-here's, toasts, and carefully chosen adjectives. Somehow to see a smile on such evil creatures' faces introduced the chef to a new level of despair.

"Allow me to introduce myself, I am Kyrix-Vasilog..." the two mouths spoke as the chains raised in almost a halo pattern behind, like a peacock. "'Tis a joy you accepted my summons and could serve as taskmaster for this...most-unique...of torments. Such leadership potential!" again nods and murmured words of agreement were shared by the guests.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Please feel free to join Mal in the Livery Shack to plan the party's next moves. He has accumulated some useful intel.

edit: link to his links


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal pulls up a chair and leans close to Mal, conspiratorially, Well, what do we know so far? Is this going to require... subtlety?


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

The priest pulls up another, prepared to listen.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Finally feeling interest in preventing their assassinations, Mal starts making suggestions. ”We need to capture Brother A and get access to his ledgers for evidence. There will be fewer gamblers during the day or at dawn, so we time it then. The badge should push the gamblers from the Ellell who don’t want trouble but will start trouble if we show it too early.”

“He’s got a fiend for a bodyguard, so we must prepare to take it down. Considering the close quarters and different decks, we need a way to get down to him as quickly as possible, because he might have an escape hatch. As soon as we secure him and the ledgers, we can burn it down to the waterline. That’s what I’ve got so far. Any ideas?”

Silver Crusade

| HP: 29/40[2]| Rage: 2/3{+2}|SnaX: 1/2 HD 3 melee: +5/2d6+3 |Init: +2 Perc: +3 | Insp = no |Human Barb3| AC: 16

'I feel like this may have been a mistake,' the large barbarian thinks as things go from strange to THIS IS VERY VERY STRANGE!

Even before he sees a real live monster, the protean nature of the house has him questioning all his life decisions from this day to that. 'But, but, but...but why?' he constantly thinks, seeing neither rhyme nor reason to have so changing a design. Unless that is the point.

When he at last sees the dinner guests, it takes all his iron will to not just turn around and leave. Screaming. Only the heart-felt praise of the luminaries in attendance keep him from doing just that. With the honesty in the praise, he lets himself absorb the feeling of a job well done. And if they know good cooking, can they really be all bad?

"Ah, yes, much gratitude, Most Noble Kyrix-Vasilog!" he stammers out, complete with a bow.

Gorn was a man who disdained words, and approached most conversations with the solid belief that, no matter what, he can crush the man he's talking to. No matter how well guarded, he's at least always believed that he can crush any given speaker of words. That he now really REALLY CAN NOT is shocking in a way he doesn't want to admit.

"Given so august an occasion and so sublime an opportunity, how could I say no?

But soft! Is there something amiss? You say this is unique...torment? My good sir I had been aiming for some emotion a bit higher and, dare I say, softer? If this is some jest, might I be let in on it?

And leadership potential? Me? Oh good sir, I might be able to order around your passing fine waitstaff, who have done yeomen work this day, I should like to say! But that is, alas, the extent of my skills. Ah well, we all have our parts to play."

Alright, yep, definitely time to ex-fil out of here. Bot how?

"Now, my lords, if there is nothing else you require of me, if you could point me to thy seneschal, I will give my parting debrief and be on my way. You do, of course, know how to contact me for any further engagements."

1,051 to 1,100 of 3,200 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [5e] Descent into Avernus Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.