GM Ventiine's Ruins of Azlant (Books 1-3)

Game Master Ventiine

Story Book | NPCs | Combat Maps | Loot Sheet | Island Map

Location: Nal-Shakar (area L)
Current day: Starday (Saturday), 1 Erastus (July) 4717
4717 Calendar


2,351 to 2,400 of 2,512 << first < prev | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | next > last >>

Male Human Ranger 6 (Tidal Hunter) | AC 23, Touch 16 |Flat-footed 19 | HP 58 (58) | Fort +7, Ref +9, Will +3 | Init +5 | Perception +10*, Keen Scent

Asher nods at Mauro and hoists his bow.

Assuming Haste is still in effect. All with Deadly Aim.

Attack A: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (14) + 14 = 28
Damage: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Attack B: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (4) + 14 = 18 - Haste
Damage: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
Attack C: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15
Damage: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11


Male Human. Arcanist 6. AC 13/17*, touch 13/17*, flat-footed 11/15*. hp 39/39. Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +6. Init +2; Senses Perception +8, (*Mage armor) (Speed 30), Arcane Reservoir 6/8

Crispin looks up from his search for dry wood to pile at the trees base and watches to see the results of the attacks? "I never get to have any fun..."


Male CG Aquatic Elf Male Cleric 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 23 / 14 T / 21 FF | CMD 16 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +10 Init +2 | Perception +15 (Low-Light Vision)| Speed 40 ft. (30' with armor) |Conditions: None (Fish Person)
Crispin Xantrian wrote:
Crispin looks up from his search for dry wood to pile at the trees base and watches to see the results of the attacks? "I never get to have any fun..."

"You do have a crossbow you could shoot at it."


✦ Crimson Forest: Vampiric Root (area H4) * ˚ ✦

In Round 4, Talath suggests shooting at the tree. Asher peppers the tree with arrows, but the third one misses. Red syrup oozes from where the ranger has punctured the tree! Mauro fires his sling, similarly pelting the tree from afar! Becky recalls what she can, reiterating this is a varient of the yellow musk creeper.

The party smartly decides to deal with the tree from afar, negating any threat the tree poses to them. The poor plant doesn't stand a chance as its limbs only appear to reach so far. After 15 to 20 seconds of Asher's and Mauro's ranged attacks, the massive trunk is miraculously split! The tree did not have DR. The party realizes the red sap is actually the blood of the tree's victims, who likely lay under its shade for a lethal nap.

Scattered amid the bones littering the crimson musk willow’s roots are the possessions of its many victims over the centuries. These objects include numerous ruined suits of leather and chainmail armor, rusted and decayed nearly beyond recognition. The +1 mithril breastplate decorated with a red, five-pointed star is the shiniest item in the debris. Alongside the armor is also a +1 longspear and a handy haversack containing a dose of dust of dryness, an elixir of swimming, three potions of cure moderate wounds, a potion of water breathing, and a wand of freedom of movement with 17 charges remaining.

You feel confident that the red forest is fully explored. With this area clear of serious threats, Talmandor's Bounty can collect much-needed lumber. The two strix fly back to the ground and Kalikk points out the direction of Helekhterie's lair...

The trek from where you are now to Helekhterie's lair (area L) is about an hour. The hike to Talmandor's Bounty (area a) is about five hours and you'll pass by Helekhterie's lair.

Would the party like to return to Talmandor's Bounty or confront the sea hag terrorizing Talmandor's inhabitants? Both maps updated.


✦ To Recap ✦

The party has been busy scouting out historical locations mentioned in the writings of Pathfinder Durvin Gest as well as scout out valuable resources for the colony’s growth. They were able to complete all of the tasks requested by Ramona and Durvin.

Meanwhile, strange occurrences have been happening on Talmandor’s Bounty. It’s beginning to look as if history may be repeating itself. The party is doing everything in their power to prevent the colony from failing like the first set of settlers. The next logical solution seems to be to confront the culprit responsible.

The party has realized a sea hag named Helekhterie presents a real danger to not only to the island of Ancorato but also to the entire region. Even before the colonist’s arrival, Helekhterie has been an antagonist towards the colony’s trade partners, the locathahs and Vriskirsa, an artifact-collecting naga. Who knows what other nefarious actions Helekhterie has taken on the island, but the party can be certain that several events occurring seem paint the sea hag as the obvious culprit.

On a positive note, however, the party has made the island Ancorato a lot safer for its inhabitants by eliminating smaller threats.

At the heart of the ‘The Bleeding Forest,’ the party defeated a well-fed giant yellow musk creeper that had been draining unfortunate explorers until they turned into crimson dusk vampires. The party also eliminated a pesky leechroot that had captured a scrag and two perytons who had the potential of hunting down settlers who venture too deeply into the forest.

Off the North coast, the party discovered Bonetown, a former gillman settlement after the gillmen were displaced from their home. It turns out a malignant entity called a wihsaak sahkil took interest in the gillmen and used its Suggestion ability to insert innocuous ideas of whimsical mischief that gradually escalated into violence, murder, and then—horrifyingly—cannibalism. With the exception of one heavily-injured survivor, only the gillman driven to insanity were left (found a quartermile East in a cave ) but the party put them to rest and slew the wihsaak sahkil for all the misery it caused.

And finally, the party traveled to Ershrani Reef to defeat Skorika, the leader of the sahuagin marauders. Skorika had been a menace to several on the island. He’s stolen the water naga Vriskirsa’s home and terrorized locathahs, preventing them from salvaging treasure from sunken ships and trading with other coastal and underwater communities.

The party and Talmandor’s Bounty find that they now have three trading partners: the water naga Vriskirsa who is fond of historical artifacts, the locathahs who are friendly groups of migratory trading and hunting parties, and the strix of Sheshkadrann who love art and culture.

✦ More About The Geography ✦

The waters surrounding these islands are not as deep as those in other parts of the Arcadian Ocean, reaching only a few hundred feet at the deepest. Farther away from this region, the seafloor drops a few thousand feet. The islands here support a rich ecology. Thousands of species of birds, insects, mammals, and reptiles make their homes here, and cephalopods, crustaceans, and fish swim in the surrounding waters in great numbers.

While some palm trees grow along the shores of the islands, the vast majority of plant life is inland, where forests of pines as well as deciduous trees such as oaks span the rolling landscape. Palmettos and shrubs cover the forest floors where light penetrates in warm beams through the humid air, and some islands boast dense mangrove forests along their coasts. Tangled clumps of moss dangle from the sprawling branches of ancient oaks, and the smell of pine sap hangs in the air during warm months alongside the buzz of insects.


M 1/2 Elf| HP 45+16/45 | AC: 22, T: 14, FF:20 | Spd: 30ft/ 30ft w/armor | Occultist (Haunt Collector) 6 | Init +2, Darkvision 60, Low Light Vision; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +1 | Saves: F: +10, R: +6, W: +8 ; +2 vs enchantments, immune to sleep effects| CMB +11 / CMD 23

Excitedly, Mauro speaks up, "That breastplate, I recognize the sigil, it is that of the order of the Ioun Star! They are an order of wardens who originally protected the rightful emperor of Azlant. The modern incarnation of the group seeks more information about ancient Azlant and has sponsored expeditions to the ruined continent to search for lost lore. But sigils can be repainted - it is mithril and I would claim it as my spoils."

He pauses for thought, and in a much cooler tone continues, "There is still the hag to deal with, but I would suggest not today. I have spent much of my magick and could use a rest. We could either camp here - I doubt much will come disturb us, I suspect everything still alive in this forest knows better than to get within limb-reach of that tree. Or we could go back to Talmandor's bounty and report. That's a long march though, and we will be en-route well after nightfall... I'd say camp here."

Mauro will use his object reading ability on the various magical objects...


Male CG Aquatic Elf Male Cleric 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 23 / 14 T / 21 FF | CMD 16 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +10 Init +2 | Perception +15 (Low-Light Vision)| Speed 40 ft. (30' with armor) |Conditions: None (Fish Person)
Mauro Ocela wrote:

Excitedly, Mauro speaks up, "That breastplate, I recognize the sigil, it is that of the order of the Ioun Star! They are an order of wardens who originally protected the rightful emperor of Azlant. The modern incarnation of the group seeks more information about ancient Azlant and has sponsored expeditions to the ruined continent to search for lost lore. But sigils can be repainted - it is mithril and I would claim it as my spoils."

He pauses for thought, and in a much cooler tone continues, "There is still the hag to deal with, but I would suggest not today. I have spent much of my magick and could use a rest. We could either camp here - I doubt much will come disturb us, I suspect everything still alive in this forest knows better than to get within limb-reach of that tree. Or we could go back to Talmandor's bounty and report. That's a long march though, and we will be en-route well after nightfall... I'd say camp here."

Mauro will use his object reading ability on the various magical objects...

"I'm of two minds. Lately, when we report to Talmandor's Bounty, we find some new problem to deal with. However the last time we left the situation was...tense and maybe even perilous? We do bear some good news and perhaps that would ease the minds of some and reduce the pressure on the colony as a whole. I agree about not confronting Helekhterie today; we should rest, regain spells, and prepare the best we can."


N Female Human Bard (Archivist) 6 | hp --39-- 45/45 NL [0] | AC 19, t 13, ff 16 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +8 | BP 10/16 | Init +3 | Perc +10 | Speed 30 ft. | Bard Spells 1st 3/5; 2nd 3/4 | Lore Master 1/1 | Shirt 1/1 | Wand of CLW 30/50 | Conditions: none | To-Do List

Becky does her best to sound neutral about her choice for the party's next step, but you know her well enough by now to know she can't resist kissing up to Ramona or hanging out with her BFF, Medrinah.

I'm mildly in favor of a return to Talmandor's Bounty before setting out against the sea hag.


Male Human. Arcanist 6. AC 13/17*, touch 13/17*, flat-footed 11/15*. hp 39/39. Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +6. Init +2; Senses Perception +8, (*Mage armor) (Speed 30), Arcane Reservoir 6/8

Crispin looks thoughtful for a moment. "I think we do need to rest and restock before dealing with something as dangerous as a Hag." Is his opinion.


Male Human Ranger 6 (Tidal Hunter) | AC 23, Touch 16 |Flat-footed 19 | HP 58 (58) | Fort +7, Ref +9, Will +3 | Init +5 | Perception +10*, Keen Scent

Asher mulls over their choices. While the hag is a threat, rest and refit at the camp will do all some good. Aside from that, they can confer with scholars at the settlement about the hag to see if they can draw an additional advantage.

The loot sheet has been updated. Someone should hold the handy haversack for the party since it will come in.. um... handy..for misc items that would otherwise weigh us down. The wand may come in handy against any grabby foes and underwater. Both Mauro and I have that spell on our lists, so we can use it on the party when heading below.


Male CG Aquatic Elf Male Cleric 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 23 / 14 T / 21 FF | CMD 16 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +10 Init +2 | Perception +15 (Low-Light Vision)| Speed 40 ft. (30' with armor) |Conditions: None (Fish Person)

Hey I can finally join the 'the forum ate my post club'! So what I posted yesterday was that, if we go back to Talmandor's Bounty, if we want to arrange some trades for anything with the locathah and/or if anyone thinks of any cleric spells Talath should scribe.


✦ Crimson Forest: Vampiric Root (area H4) * ˚ ✦

When Mauro touches the breastplate, he stills for a moment.

Ojbect Reading:
When you touch the breastplate, you see two ghosthater goblins chittering and carrying the breastplate between the two of them like a prize. A red vine from a younger-looking tree snakes out and grabs one of the goblins! Shocked, the other scampers away, leaving its brethren to die. The handy haversack and spear look like something you'd be able to buy in any major city. They both have feelings of shock and fear. You think these items may have belonged to an original colonist or (more likely) someone who came here to do the initial geographical survey to determine a reasonable cause for the Venture Bounty's investment. (You'd recall settling here required wealthy investors and volunteer settlers.)

✦ Talmandor's Bounty (area a) * ˚ ✦

The party decides to return to Talmandor's Bounty. The trek through the red forested jungle and the rest of the jungled path takes hours. The moon and stars illuminate your approach to the palisade gates. It's past Medrinah's bedtime, but there are a few adults still awake. Soldiers are positioned at all entrances as usual.

☄. *. ⋆ Recanted Story ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

As you unwind around the bonfire within the safety of the palisade, you hear rumors from other colonists that Kereda Harper has recanted his story (post) about the attempted abduction. "It was probably to garner support for extending the palisade walls" one person gossips. Someone else gossips: "Nay. Ramona put pressure on him. I bet our colony leader was even complicit in the whole charade!"

I will give you time to react and begin settling down for the night. :)


Male CG Aquatic Elf Male Cleric 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 23 / 14 T / 21 FF | CMD 16 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +10 Init +2 | Perception +15 (Low-Light Vision)| Speed 40 ft. (30' with armor) |Conditions: None (Fish Person)

Talath will make sure to pray to Desna for spells under the light of the moon and stars. :)


Male Human Ranger 6 (Tidal Hunter) | AC 23, Touch 16 |Flat-footed 19 | HP 58 (58) | Fort +7, Ref +9, Will +3 | Init +5 | Perception +10*, Keen Scent

Asher nods to the soldiers as the group enters the compound and heads to their bunks. He is eager to get his armor off and looking forward to a cot after sleeping on a blanket on the ground.

Kereda recanting his story is almost as disturbing as the original incident. Something doesn’t ring true. He mentions to the rest of the group that they should look into it.

But not tonight.


N Female Human Bard (Archivist) 6 | hp --39-- 45/45 NL [0] | AC 19, t 13, ff 16 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +8 | BP 10/16 | Init +3 | Perc +10 | Speed 30 ft. | Bard Spells 1st 3/5; 2nd 3/4 | Lore Master 1/1 | Shirt 1/1 | Wand of CLW 30/50 | Conditions: none | To-Do List

Becky takes note of the person who claimed that Ramona was in on Kereda Harper recounting his story about being attacked previously; the young bard is so gonna rat him out to Ramona next time she sees the colony leader.

She briefly considers visiting her mom but is so tired she stays with her friends, falling asleep almost as soon as her head hits the pillow.


M 1/2 Elf| HP 45+16/45 | AC: 22, T: 14, FF:20 | Spd: 30ft/ 30ft w/armor | Occultist (Haunt Collector) 6 | Init +2, Darkvision 60, Low Light Vision; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +1 | Saves: F: +10, R: +6, W: +8 ; +2 vs enchantments, immune to sleep effects| CMB +11 / CMD 23

Mauro tries to get good looks at the people responsible for the various bits of gossip that undercut the present leadership - there seems to be too much of that going around, for a colony that has suffered no significant setbacks since arrival... All without making it obvious he's taking notice.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 6 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 3 = 20
6 rank +3 trained +1 wis +2 racial +3 Skill Focus

Stealth: 1d20 + 6 + 3 + 2 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (4) + 6 + 3 + 2 + 1 - 2 = 14
6 ranks +3 trained +2 Dex+1 trait-2 acp

Before turning in, he ask Antaral to take a look at his wounds from the musk vampires. (I am down 8 HP and will only heal 6 overnight; but if Antaral can provide a long term care check, DC 15, I will heal 12)

He will also ask Talath "Did you find time to do that Detect Charm sweep I asked you about?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human. Arcanist 6. AC 13/17*, touch 13/17*, flat-footed 11/15*. hp 39/39. Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +6. Init +2; Senses Perception +8, (*Mage armor) (Speed 30), Arcane Reservoir 6/8

Surprised that a Becky bomb hadn't been set off by the gossiping fool Crispin heads to his bed. He is getting fitter but still needs his rest.

He makes a note to go shopping for a scroll of Scorching hands in the morning. His offensive spells need a bit more punch.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CG Aquatic Elf Male Cleric 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 23 / 14 T / 21 FF | CMD 16 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +10 Init +2 | Perception +15 (Low-Light Vision)| Speed 40 ft. (30' with armor) |Conditions: None (Fish Person)
Mauro Ocela wrote:

Mauro tries to get good looks at the people responsible for the various bits of gossip that undercut the present leadership - there seems to be too much of that going around, for a colony that has suffered no significant setbacks since arrival... All without making it obvious he's taking notice.

[dice=Perception]1d20 +6+3+1+2+3
6 rank +3 trained +1 wis +2 racial +3 Skill Focus

[dice=Stealth]1d20+6+3+2+1-2
6 ranks +3 trained +2 Dex+1 trait-2 acp

Before turning in, he ask Antaral to take a look at his wounds from the musk vampires. (I am down 8 HP and will only heal 6 overnight; but if Antaral can provide a long term care check, DC 15, I will heal 12)

He will also ask Talath "Did you find time to do that Detect Charm sweep I asked you about?"

I'd forgotten about that but the party was moved on and I either forgot or chose not to try to stop the flow of the game since we were back on the road. On a separate note it will be up to the GM how/if Antaral will be used going forward. The player posted in a game he was running that he was taking an unspecified amount of time away from the forums/games. He was having work and health issues and his last post was June 13th. I'll put in the url link below. As far as healing Talath still has channels left so he can heal Mauro before they rest.

Player of Antaral posts.


☄. *. ⋆ Witch Hunt ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

Talath takes time to pray to his goddess, Desna. Becky silently side-eyes the gossipers with plans to tattle to Ramona. Mauro follows a similar practice as Becky, although perhaps without plans of communicating his observations. And Crispin compiles a shopping list in his head. Antaral retires, gloomy over Alba's anti-social behavior. He's decided to stay in Talmandor's Bounty for a while to aid his close friend.

As the party is preparing to retire and a couple of settlers are preparing to douse the fire, you hear a commotion from the palisade gates! In the distance, you see a mass of colonists holding torches or using a light cantrip to illuminate the group's path. They are walking together down the dirt streets outside the palisade creating a ruckus.

The gathered mob is hollering and banging objects, causing previously sleeping colonists to appear in their nightwear to observe. If you go to get a better view, you see Irvin Lourdein, a farmer who lost his goats, leading about 15 colonists down the dirt path. The mob varies in age and occupation.

"We will do what Ramona will not! It's time to put an end to our colony's woes!" Irvin shouts.

Someone else in the mob calls out: "Eskelda Teredein is a witch in league with infernal forces!" Several people shout in reply, "Witch! She's a witch!" "I've seen her raven!" "Witch, witch, witch!"

If you wish, you're able to arrive as the mob reaches Eskelda Teredein's home. The mob has objects that could be used as weapons.

Talmandor's Bounty has the population of a small village. About 10% of the colonists are mobbing. This encounter is an optional skill check (Diplomacy or Intimidate) or you can wait for Ramona, Perrell, or other colonists to arrive.


Male CG Aquatic Elf Male Cleric 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 23 / 14 T / 21 FF | CMD 16 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +10 Init +2 | Perception +15 (Low-Light Vision)| Speed 40 ft. (30' with armor) |Conditions: None (Fish Person)

"Why am I not surprised? Because this sort of thing seems to happen all the time. How did these humans not kill each other on the voyage over here? You'd think stuck in the ship for so long would've ended these crazy antics..."

Talath hustles to reach Eskelda's home at least at the same time as the mob; perhaps earlier since Desna's grace allows him to move faster than most.

"We are putting an end to your colony's woes. Just this day we slew two separate groups of creatures which had the potential of killing many colonists. First there was a pair of perytons who had ambushed many victims in the forest the colony needs to harvest lumber. Then we found a Crimson Musk Willow, a thankfully unique variant of the more common yellow musk creeper. This monstrously huge tree had killed many humanoids and then turned them into Crimson Musk Vampires, which may have been responsible for the blood-drained goats. After two great battles we succeeded in defeating each of these foes. So your colony is safer but understand this island and the surrounding areas contain many threats. Indeed there is an actual witch we must face - and it's not Eskelda. There is a witch hag in the interior of the island who apparently has some scrags, a type of troll, working for her devious and evil schemes..."

Yes it's 'Story Time with Uncle Talath! He'll prompt his fellow adventurers to supply dramatic and gory details of their combats to prevail upon the colonists the power and resolve of the party. As he's spinning his yarn, Talath will 'take 10' on his Diplomacy for a 21.


N Female Human Bard (Archivist) 6 | hp --39-- 45/45 NL [0] | AC 19, t 13, ff 16 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +8 | BP 10/16 | Init +3 | Perc +10 | Speed 30 ft. | Bard Spells 1st 3/5; 2nd 3/4 | Lore Master 1/1 | Shirt 1/1 | Wand of CLW 30/50 | Conditions: none | To-Do List

Becky hustles after Talath, silently thanking the gods that the party decided to return to the colony before engaging the sea hag. Taking the elf's cue, the young bard adds a few details to Talath's description of the battles. Though she's secretly pissed that any colonist would dare impugn Ramona, she realizes this is a time for diplomacy, not an exchange of heated words.

"What proof can you offer that Eskelda's a witch?" she asks the mob. "Owning a pet raven doesn't count!" Even as she defends the woman, Becky plumbs the depths of her memory to recall exactly what she knows and has heard about Eskelda Teredein.

Becky Beys Diplomacy Check (Aid Another--Talath): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

Becky Beys Knowledge (local) Check (Eskelda Teredein): 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (12) + 14 = 26


Male Human Ranger 6 (Tidal Hunter) | AC 23, Touch 16 |Flat-footed 19 | HP 58 (58) | Fort +7, Ref +9, Will +3 | Init +5 | Perception +10*, Keen Scent

Asher hustles after Talath and Becky with Huntress in tow, telling the crocodile to stay by him.

What is with you people? One of my comrades here can sling spells, and another can raise the dead to fight alongside us. What exactly can a witch do that is inherently a threat? You people seem to have the logic of melodrama stories.

Diplomacy (Aid Another - Talath): 1d20 ⇒ 4

Asher, as you can see, is not the most dimplomatic. He means well though.


GM Screen:
???: 1d4 ⇒ 3

☄. *. ⋆ Witch Hunt ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

The mob stands with their light sources listening to Talath and Becky. The longer Talath explains, the less aggressive the group becomes. You can hear hushed exclamations of "vampires?!" and "in the Crimson Forest?!" as you explain. Asher's attempts go mostly unnoticed as his companions have captured the crowd's attention. "I see, vampires in the woods are responsible then." "That makes a lot of sense." "Of course, it's so obvious!" The mob disperses and there is no further commotion in Talmandor's Bounty Fireday night.


N Female Human Bard (Archivist) 6 | hp --39-- 45/45 NL [0] | AC 19, t 13, ff 16 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +8 | BP 10/16 | Init +3 | Perc +10 | Speed 30 ft. | Bard Spells 1st 3/5; 2nd 3/4 | Lore Master 1/1 | Shirt 1/1 | Wand of CLW 30/50 | Conditions: none | To-Do List

Becky watches as the villagers find a new scapegoat and return to their homes satisfied for the time being. Turning to Talath, the teen comments, "It sort of kills me to say this, but my mom is one of the smarter, cooler people living in this settlement. Too many folks here are just plain nuts!"

The bard waits to see if Ramona puts in an appearance (so she can be the first to make a report to the village leader); if Ramona's a no-show, Becky calls it a night, resting up for the showdown with the hag on the morrow.


✦ Talmandor's Bounty (area a) * ˚ ✦

Today is Starday (Saturday), 1 Erastus (July) 4717.

You wake up to the beginning of a new month. The colonists seem to be working particularly hard today (in honor of Erastil's month) although morale is still low. You see workers preparing to collect wood and Leutin is hammering away at another alarm bell in his smithy.

(If you try to look for her) Eskelda Teredein can't be found in Talmandor's Bounty, but everyone else living in Talmandor's Bounty can be reached for any last preparation before your confrontation with the sea hag. Kalikk informs you that she'll be staying in Talmandor's Bounty to continue to improve relations between her tribe and yours. (Her offer as a guide has been fulfilled.) Ookra, the young, blind (level 3) oracle is willing to travel with you to offer healing aid but she may be more of a liability due to her inexperience.

✦ Nal-Shakar: Caldera Lake (area L1) * ˚ ✦

When the party is ready, you set off towards Nal-Shakar (area L) where you know your antagonistic foe to be residing. This is one of the more arduous hikes you've made on Ancorato due to Nal-Shakar being located at the top of a mountain.

Past where the forest tapers off into sparse, dead trees, the mountain slope becomes steep and rugged, leading to a circular ridge enclosing the sunken peak of the mountain. The incline eventually crests and the high caldera rim gives way to a rugged, rocky slope bristling with scrubby vegetation, leading down into a large, steaming lake.

At the center of the crater lake is a small, rocky island upon which an octagonal tower rises one hundred twenty feet, its peak lying just below the caldera wall. The top of the tower consists of a dome of plated copper, long ago turned green with verdigris. The crumbling stone columns of a long-collapsed bridge are all that remains of a land route to the tower.

Observing your surroundings, you see Nal-Shakar is constructed atop a small island just over 400 feet wide in the middle of a caldera lake roughly 1,000 feet across and 120 feet deep at its lowest point. The caldera lake itself is a mildly sulfuric hot spring with an average temperature of 98 degrees (comfortably warm for most humanoids.) The lake exudes a faintly eggy smell but is otherwise safe to bathe in or drink (though it tastes bad.) The former land route to the island, an ancient stone bridge, collapsed into the lake long ago, leaving crooked stone columns as markers of where it once stood.

You will need to swim across the caldera lake or find other means of transportation to reach Nal-Shakar. The shortest distance from the crater wall to the island is 290 feet from the northwest edge of the lake, following the path of the ruined bridge. From the southeastern rim of the caldera, a small cave is visible that leads into the small island. You'll notice the Combat Maps slide is zoomed in on the island - you aren't there yet. There are a lot more water squares beyond the slide graphic.

Perception 20 (Caldera Lake):
You discover a crude raft hidden in some nearby undergrowth, which the scrags have used to ferry supplies and people to and from the tower. The raft can comfortably hold six Medium creatures, and it is treated in all other ways as a rowboat.

Both maps have been updated. Everyone should be level 6 now - I think I leveled you a little early hehe.


M 1/2 Elf| HP 45+16/45 | AC: 22, T: 14, FF:20 | Spd: 30ft/ 30ft w/armor | Occultist (Haunt Collector) 6 | Init +2, Darkvision 60, Low Light Vision; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +1 | Saves: F: +10, R: +6, W: +8 ; +2 vs enchantments, immune to sleep effects| CMB +11 / CMD 23

Does anyone want my +1 breastplate? I am upgrading to the +1 mithral breastplate we found under the tree unless someone else stakes a claim...

Before we set out, Mauro will use his object reading ability on the necklace that Skurnagh gave us (Necklace of Air Adaptation)...

He will also ask around the colony about what is known about sea hags, giant sea anemones, and if someone has any idea about what "living clouds that sometimes red" might be...

Anyone want to make some appropriate knowledge checks before we set out? I think that's K Nature for the hag and the Anemone. This would be useful for preparations...

@Gm Ventiine: We know of the flooded secret entrance from Skurnagh. Did he give us enough detail to know where it is on the map (relative to the tower...


N Female Human Bard (Archivist) 6 | hp --39-- 45/45 NL [0] | AC 19, t 13, ff 16 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +8 | BP 10/16 | Init +3 | Perc +10 | Speed 30 ft. | Bard Spells 1st 3/5; 2nd 3/4 | Lore Master 1/1 | Shirt 1/1 | Wand of CLW 30/50 | Conditions: none | To-Do List

There's no need to fear--Becky Beys is here!

Becky Beys Knowledge (nature) Check (sea hag): 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (5) + 15 = 20

Becky Beys Knowledge (nature) Check (sea anemone): 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (16) + 15 = 31

After plumbing the depths of her knowledge about the creatures in question, Becky (decked out in her beloved enchanted eelskin armor) presents what she knows to Mauro and the others.

As the hike wears on, the bard suffers quietly from the heat as she staggers onward in the snug bodysuit of rubbery armor, her face becoming a bit flushed and red.

Hang in there, Becky! The water's gonna feel so good when you finally get to swim like a mermaid again!


Male CG Aquatic Elf Male Cleric 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 23 / 14 T / 21 FF | CMD 16 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +10 Init +2 | Perception +15 (Low-Light Vision)| Speed 40 ft. (30' with armor) |Conditions: None (Fish Person)
Asher 'Cinnis' Regillenus wrote:

Asher hustles after Talath and Becky with Huntress in tow, telling the crocodile to stay by him.

What is with you people? One of my comrades here can sling spells, and another can raise the dead to fight alongside us. What exactly can a witch do that is inherently a threat? You people seem to have the logic of melodrama stories.

[dice=Diplomacy (Aid Another - Talath)]1d20

Asher, as you can see, is not the most dimplomatic. He means well though.

I don't know what you mean, I was completely influenced by Asher...


Male CG Aquatic Elf Male Cleric 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 23 / 14 T / 21 FF | CMD 16 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +10 Init +2 | Perception +15 (Low-Light Vision)| Speed 40 ft. (30' with armor) |Conditions: None (Fish Person)
Becky Beys wrote:

Becky watches as the villagers find a new scapegoat and return to their homes satisfied for the time being. Turning to Talath, the teen comments, "It sort of kills me to say this, but my mom is one of the smarter, cooler people living in this settlement. Too many folks here are just plain nuts!"

The bard waits to see if Ramona puts in an appearance (so she can be the first to make a report to the village leader); if Ramona's a no-show, Becky calls it a night, resting up for the showdown with the hag on the morrow.

"Due to living underwater I have very little experience with humans so I don't know yet what to make of all of you. However I realize how moving somewhere so far away from home and everything and everyone you know is stressful. But if they keep turning on one another in this way, the second attempt to colonize this area will fair as poorly as the first."

@GM: As the mob is dispersing, Talath will read his scroll of Detect Charm and see if our 'helpful' ringleader Irvin Lourdein is under the effect of charm magic and any other of the mob participants that he can see in one minute. Remember Talath moves at 40' so he can likely outwalk most of the mob to get a good look.


Male CG Aquatic Elf Male Cleric 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 23 / 14 T / 21 FF | CMD 16 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +10 Init +2 | Perception +15 (Low-Light Vision)| Speed 40 ft. (30' with armor) |Conditions: None (Fish Person)

@GM: No worries on leveling early. I thought the PCs might be leveled to 7 after receiving the Wand of Freedom of Movement as part of the treasure from the last encounter as it's a 4th level spell. If you can help the player out before I go crazy scrolling back, what were told about the area/environment? Since it's a caldera 'island' I guess, Talath will need to adjust his spell list for water breathing and at least Endure Elements if not Resist Energy. With Talath taking 10 on passive Perception checks, he'll hit the 20 for the Spoiler.

#2 @All Players: Please read the Spoiler button. Also, on Mauro's +1 Breastplate, what does the party think about Talath using it? It would increase his AC by 3 but it would drop his speed from 40' to 30' so bear that in mind. Basically do you want him to sacrifice speed for protection? I'll go with what the group thinks.


N Female Human Bard (Archivist) 6 | hp --39-- 45/45 NL [0] | AC 19, t 13, ff 16 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +8 | BP 10/16 | Init +3 | Perc +10 | Speed 30 ft. | Bard Spells 1st 3/5; 2nd 3/4 | Lore Master 1/1 | Shirt 1/1 | Wand of CLW 30/50 | Conditions: none | To-Do List

Wow--I totally missed the whole Perception spoiler above! (Not very perceptive of me!)


Male CG Aquatic Elf Male Cleric 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 23 / 14 T / 21 FF | CMD 16 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +10 Init +2 | Perception +15 (Low-Light Vision)| Speed 40 ft. (30' with armor) |Conditions: None (Fish Person)
Becky Beys wrote:
Wow--I totally missed the whole Perception spoiler above! (Not very perceptive of me!)

You're okay. If I listed everything I've missed in the past few months on these forums, it would fill multiple books. I've lost my mind and it's getting away from me more and more every day.


Male CG Aquatic Elf Male Cleric 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 23 / 14 T / 21 FF | CMD 16 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +10 Init +2 | Perception +15 (Low-Light Vision)| Speed 40 ft. (30' with armor) |Conditions: None (Fish Person)

Update from earlier. Talath used his only scroll of Water Walk, Communal so if that's a spell we want him to have for this encounter he will need to memorize it. Comments/requests/suggestions are welcome on his spell list. I haven't changed it since the last 'set', I've only removed the [X] from the ones he had cast. I think Water Breathing should go on the list as a 'just in case' situation. It wouldn't be the worst idea for Crispin to have one casting of 'Touch of the Sea' for a PC that wants/needs to move quickly underwater should the need arise.
Oh and Talath would've scribed one scroll so any requests for that are also welcome. He can scribe domain spells so if we want a 2nd Fly scroll, it can be done!


Male Human. Arcanist 6. AC 13/17*, touch 13/17*, flat-footed 11/15*. hp 39/39. Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +6. Init +2; Senses Perception +8, (*Mage armor) (Speed 30), Arcane Reservoir 6/8

perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14 Well s~+@!

Crispin looks around, his nose not dealing with the smell and wrinkling. Lovely location, sadly let down by the awful atmosphere."

Crispin don't see nothing!


Male Human Ranger 6 (Tidal Hunter) | AC 23, Touch 16 |Flat-footed 19 | HP 58 (58) | Fort +7, Ref +9, Will +3 | Init +5 | Perception +10*, Keen Scent

Since we knew about the caldera lake, I think we would have advised Talath to memorize Water Walk as a good means of crossing the surface while remaining fully combat ready. That's a good call.

Asher takes a look at the ground around the raft that Talath spotted. Are there any tracks?

Survival: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

(It's a 28 vs Aberrations or a 26 against Aquatic Humanoids)


M 1/2 Elf| HP 45+16/45 | AC: 22, T: 14, FF:20 | Spd: 30ft/ 30ft w/armor | Occultist (Haunt Collector) 6 | Init +2, Darkvision 60, Low Light Vision; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +1 | Saves: F: +10, R: +6, W: +8 ; +2 vs enchantments, immune to sleep effects| CMB +11 / CMD 23

Depending on what we got from assorted Knowledge checks, object reading, and asking around town, I may have some prep stuff to backdate into the story before we head out to the witch's tower...

That said, I would actually advise against Water Walking (Communal); I think we are planning to take the "secret" flooded entrance, and we can't get there water walking. Water Breathing on the other hand might be useful (and other swimming spells) - Sea Hags are definitely amphibious and the core of her lair might be underwater... Unfortunately, my Cloak of the Manta Ray only works in salt water, so it probably won't work in the caldera lake.

Rather than silhouette himself on the rim of the caldera, Mauro will drop to a crawl as he approaches the rim and then peeks over to see what he may... He warns the others "Don't silhouette yourselves on the rim for someone below to see."

Stealth: 1d20 + 6 + 3 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 6 + 3 + 2 + 1 = 18
6 ranks +3 trained +2 Dex+1 trait

Perception: 1d20 + 6 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 6 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 3 = 17
6 rank +3 trained +1 wis +2 racial +3 Skill Focus

Before he proceeds down, he concentrates, and enhances himself with necromantic energies. (Casts False Life)

False Life HP: 1d10 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12


Male CG Aquatic Elf Male Cleric 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 23 / 14 T / 21 FF | CMD 16 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +10 Init +2 | Perception +15 (Low-Light Vision)| Speed 40 ft. (30' with armor) |Conditions: None (Fish Person)

I'll have Talath memorize Water Breathing and take the less than an hour in the evening (or morning) to scribe a replacement Scroll of Water Walk, Communal so we'll have both options covered. Hopefully Crispin will have Touch of the Sea available so PCs can swim; remember it's a 5' move action and a 10' double move if you don't have a swim speed.

Talath hands Mauro a mirror to peek over the edge of the caldera without being seen.


✦ Talmandor's Bounty (area a) * ˚ ✦

The previous day, as the mob is dispersing, Talath does not detect any charm work cast on Irvin Lourdein. The farmer is one of the first to disperse. Perhaps his main motivator is fear. Irvin has had a rough start to colony life.

Object Reading (Necklace of Air Adaption):
You feel fear and panic similar to what the scrag must have felt when he was grappled by the vine.

The colonists are not very helpful when it comes to information. A more sea-seasoned colonist recounts a tale of a sailor who once encountered a coven of sea hags off the coast: "They was so bloody ugly, the sea dog lost his footing and fell into the ship's netting. Only reason he thinks he lived." He hacks and spits, "another merchant ship found him and the ghost ship a week later. Everyone else was dead or missing."

Becky knows sea hags form covens like other witches but due to their aquatic nature rarely form mixed covens. She also knows sea hags have the ability Evil Eye, which can stagger those the sea hag gazes upon. The young adventurer confirms that she's read the sea hags do indeed have a horrific appearance.

Becky's mother, Perrell Beys knows about the other creature in question: "Giant sea anemones? They don't move very fast, but you don't want to be caught off-guard by one. They're poisonous and swallow their food whole." Her daughter, Becky recalls more than her mother. She knows they are immune to poison and mind-affecting effects. She also knows giant sea anemones are able to affix themselves to solid surfaces for added defense and although they are sightless, giant sea anemones have blindsense.


✦ Nal-Shakar: Caldera Lake (area L1) * ˚ ✦

The party references their map and identifies the secret flooded entrance described by Skurnagh (the scrag in the Crimson Forest). Marked as a yellow lightning bolt. He had said the secret entrance allows you to bypass the "danger" but he didn't know the nature of the danger.

Talath spots a crude raft hidden in some nearby undergrowth (from the spoiler).

While looking for tracks, Asher spots scrag footprints. The freshest tracks are staggered like the scrag was injured and lead in the direction of the Crimson Forest.

I need to know two things: 1. How does the party wish to travel across the lake? The boat? Swim? Water walking? A combination? And 2. Once on the water, what direction are you coming to the island from?

When the party gets closer I will describe more of the island.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CG Aquatic Elf Male Cleric 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 23 / 14 T / 21 FF | CMD 16 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +10 Init +2 | Perception +15 (Low-Light Vision)| Speed 40 ft. (30' with armor) |Conditions: None (Fish Person)

Swallowing whole eh? Now we know why we found the Wand of Freedom of Movement. I'm guessing the wand was crafted at minimum caster level (7) so it would last for 70 minutes per casting. Since Freedom of Movement is on the cleric spell list, Talath can use the wand. So if we're going to swim we'll want to have this used first as it also helps improve movement underwater. Talath also has Endure Elements, Communal in memory if the party votes to swim but we won't know until we touch the water if it will work.


M 1/2 Elf| HP 45+16/45 | AC: 22, T: 14, FF:20 | Spd: 30ft/ 30ft w/armor | Occultist (Haunt Collector) 6 | Init +2, Darkvision 60, Low Light Vision; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +1 | Saves: F: +10, R: +6, W: +8 ; +2 vs enchantments, immune to sleep effects| CMB +11 / CMD 23

"You found track of a Scrag heading to the Crimson Forest Asher? I'd guess that was Skurnagh making his break. If that raft got him here, presumably it can get us back to his 'secret' entrance. I'd say take the raft and head around, well wide of the causeway and whatever 'danger' Skurnagh thought there was. I wouldn't worry about the Giant Sea Anenome; from what Perrel said, they are very slow, almost sessile and can't call for help. Assuming we spot it before we blunder into it, both Talath and I have underwater crossbows. We'll just shoot it to death. Big issue with this is that on the raft, we will be in plain view if someone takes a look out of a tower window. Anybody got any magic or other idea to hide us?"

Proposed raft trip is the pink dashed line on the map...


Male CG Aquatic Elf Male Cleric 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 23 / 14 T / 21 FF | CMD 16 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +10 Init +2 | Perception +15 (Low-Light Vision)| Speed 40 ft. (30' with armor) |Conditions: None (Fish Person)

Sorry, no invisibility here.


M 1/2 Elf| HP 45+16/45 | AC: 22, T: 14, FF:20 | Spd: 30ft/ 30ft w/armor | Occultist (Haunt Collector) 6 | Init +2, Darkvision 60, Low Light Vision; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +1 | Saves: F: +10, R: +6, W: +8 ; +2 vs enchantments, immune to sleep effects| CMB +11 / CMD 23
Talath Na'El wrote:

Sorry, no invisibility here.

We need more than invisibility for people - we need to hide the raft as well (empty rafts moving around with no-one poling them are pretty suspicious). I was thinking more like Silent Image or some other illusion...


Male CG Aquatic Elf Male Cleric 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 23 / 14 T / 21 FF | CMD 16 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +10 Init +2 | Perception +15 (Low-Light Vision)| Speed 40 ft. (30' with armor) |Conditions: None (Fish Person)
Mauro Ocela wrote:
Talath Na'El wrote:

Sorry, no invisibility here.

We need more than invisibility for people - we need to hide the raft as well (empty rafts moving around with no-one poling them are pretty suspicious). I was thinking more like Silent Image or some other illusion...

No on those counts either, sorry. :( I guess we swim it or take the boat and be sitting/floating ducks waiting for the fireball to hit.


Male Human Ranger 6 (Tidal Hunter) | AC 23, Touch 16 |Flat-footed 19 | HP 58 (58) | Fort +7, Ref +9, Will +3 | Init +5 | Perception +10*, Keen Scent

Brave bunch of fools we are.


M 1/2 Elf| HP 45+16/45 | AC: 22, T: 14, FF:20 | Spd: 30ft/ 30ft w/armor | Occultist (Haunt Collector) 6 | Init +2, Darkvision 60, Low Light Vision; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +1 | Saves: F: +10, R: +6, W: +8 ; +2 vs enchantments, immune to sleep effects| CMB +11 / CMD 23

So is the plan hope for the best? Or does someone have an alternative suggestion?


Male CG Aquatic Elf Male Cleric 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 23 / 14 T / 21 FF | CMD 16 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +10 Init +2 | Perception +15 (Low-Light Vision)| Speed 40 ft. (30' with armor) |Conditions: None (Fish Person)
Mauro Ocela wrote:
So is the plan hope for the best? Or does someone have an alternative suggestion?

Your suggestion of the raft is the only one so far. I was just offering up what spells Talath has memorized or via scroll. Both the rowboat path and the swimming path have risks so it's just a matter of do we want to try and swim inside or use the boat to gain entry? I was hoping Becky, Crispin, and Asher might have ideas or votes on the rowboat idea.


N Female Human Bard (Archivist) 6 | hp --39-- 45/45 NL [0] | AC 19, t 13, ff 16 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +8 | BP 10/16 | Init +3 | Perc +10 | Speed 30 ft. | Bard Spells 1st 3/5; 2nd 3/4 | Lore Master 1/1 | Shirt 1/1 | Wand of CLW 30/50 | Conditions: none | To-Do List

Becky's wearing her swimming armor because she assumed that was how we'd be entering the lair. If folks would rather use the rowboat...that works, too. No other brilliant ideas here....


Male CG Aquatic Elf Male Cleric 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 23 / 14 T / 21 FF | CMD 16 | Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +10 Init +2 | Perception +15 (Low-Light Vision)| Speed 40 ft. (30' with armor) |Conditions: None (Fish Person)
Becky Beys wrote:
Becky's wearing her swimming armor because she assumed that was how we'd be entering the lair. If folks would rather use the rowboat...that works, too. No other brilliant ideas here....

It's always a good idea to be ready to swim even in a boat because you never know when either you don't have the boat or you're in the water for some reason.


GM Screen:
Antaral: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Asher: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
Becky: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Crispin: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Mauro: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Talath: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
???: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

Becky Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (1) + 15 = 16

✦ Nal-Shakar: Caldera Lake (area L1) * ˚ ✦

The group decides to pull the crude raft from the underbrush and ease it into the warm lake. Two people pick up an oar and you start paddling from the North. It's a pleasant experience except for the eggy smell.

NSEW: 1d4 ⇒ 1

As you make it to shore, the boat rocks and a huge, spiny, long-legged crab surfaces from the deep water! It reaches out toward Crispin!

To hit (Claw): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17 What is Crispin's current AC?
Damage (Claw): 1d8 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11
Grab CMB: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (5) + 21 = 26

Knowledge Nature 16 or Becky:
You can tell it's a crab but you're not sure what kind of crab.

Knowledge Nature 17:
This is a Shark-Eating Crab!

Round 1
??? 19
Becky 17 (wearing swimsuit)
Asher 13
Crispin 8
Mauro 6 (False Life)
Talath 3
Let me know if I'm missing any buffs.

Bold may act!

I'm sorry guys he's pretty nasty. Welcome to the end of the book 2 dungeon crawl :x

Please note standing up from the boat is a move action.

2,351 to 2,400 of 2,512 << first < prev | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Ventiine's Ruins of Azlant (Books 1-3) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.