Fell Kingdom (PF1 Kingmaker)

Game Master karlprosek

Kingdom and former adventure background
Varnhold Pass | Fort Varn
Combat map


1 to 50 of 822 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

This game is set in the duchy of Veteris, starting after the events of Kingmaker adventure 1 Stolen Land. Kingdom roles are filled with NPCs and the PC party will not interact with the kingdom building mechanics; those decisions will happen off-screen. The PCs will take on the role of problem solvers for the existing NPC decision makers.

This setting is influenced by 2 prior campaigns, in which the kingdom was established and pivotal events happened. In addition to the events of Stolen Land, the previous parties adventured through: Into the Haunted Forest, parts of Tales of the Old Margreve, Flight of the Red Raven, and Carnival of Tears. This party will likely also face the challenges of adventures outside the Kingmaker adventure path.


It had hardly seemed possible that a few oxen would be able to tow so many barges stacked so high with wood, but three days plodding north and then east along River Road had shown that the stolid animals were nothing if not strong and dependable. Though they didn't walk very fast, yoked in their harnesses and chained to the barges, in less than half a week the caravan had managed to move tens of thousands of pounds of lumber nearly halfway from Pază to the Tors of Levenies.

The job had been easy so far, almost boring, with nothing but scattered farms and wide open grassland to look at under grey skies. It had rained briefly that morning but this early in Erastus rain was more of a pleasant distraction than the deadly freezing ice it would become later in the year.

Of course, touble wasn't expected close to Veteris's bustling capital city, and the road from Sootscale to Pază- sometimes called the Gold Road after the heavily defended barges of gold, silver, and copper the kobolds shipped down from their mines- was one of the most heavily patrolled regions in the young kingdom. They had been hired for what might happen out past Nettle's Crossing, where the land had yet been fully tamed.

So as the caravan settled in for the night- the oxen bedded down, the barge crews around their cookfires just off the tow path, watch lamps hung off the bows fore and aft- the crew was looking at their first night of the unknown. Who knew what was out there in the dark?


Levn:
half-elf investigator (empiricist) 6 HPs:13/39, AC:19*|13*|16*, Fort+4, Ref+8*, Will+6 (+2 illusions, insp for +11) - Per:+13 (+3 traps) Init:+3, CMD:18 (*+2 traps)

DM: with your permission, I'm going to retroactively buy an elvish chess set for 5gp and a pack of cards for 1sp.

Levn was already thankful that he'd sprung for a chessboard before their trip. Daymar could be a pest when he was bored. For now, it was enjoyable enough to let his "brother" stomp the barge crews at elvish chess, while he sat in on a card game (together with Kellen?), cheerfully bluffing his way around the fact that he was counting cards, and spinning yarns about his crew's adventures in the wilds.

@Daymar: Obviously you don't have to be playing chess if you'd prefer a different intro - maybe Levn just meant that you'd been stomping them at chess whenever you felt like it during the trip? :)

The pleasant weather up til that morning was also half-lulling Levn to sleep. That was just the way he liked it - easy money for his crew, no surprises, and maybe sticking it to the bigwigs in Paza, just because.

Still, his past had taught him that, over and above the cashy money they were getting, it paid to be paranoid. He kept his back to the wagons, and his eye on what was happening outside the firelight.

General Perceptiony-type check to keep an eye on the surroundings: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (12) + 13 = 25


Male Koldemar Fighter 5/Master of many styles 1 HP 54/64, AC 24, T 18, FF 18; Fort 9, Ref 8, Will 5; Perception +9, initiative +6

Basdemar rested easily, bustle and hustle of the mammals always strange to see. If you're fed, safe and warm, why rush anything.

But the days dragged on and he occasionally went ashore just to swim, run and get some kinks out of the muscles before returning to the barges, not always empty handed.

In the evening, he entertained the crew with card tricks, pulling the things out of most unlikely things. He knew there were card games with rules and such, but he never learned them. Until now. He really had too much time on his claws.

[roll=Sleight of hand]1d20+13[/roll]
[roll=Perception]1d20+9[/roll]


Sleight of hand: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30
Perception to notice cheating: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
Perception to notice danger: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11

So focused was he on the game that he barely looked around - following the cards, rules and interractions of the players.

With his expertise in misdirection he could easily spot those who used same tricks in the game.


Male Human (Kellid) Shaman 6. HP 49/52, AC 13, T 11, FF 12; Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 11; Perception +6, initiative +5: Active Effects: False Life 14/14, +4 Survival checks

Kellen offers to take first watch, This should be an easy run, right lads? I'm about done with boggards and brigands for a few days. The shaman rests his pack and spear against the closest wagon, as he stretches upright. Ryllia, the flying fox, curls contentedly atop the nomad's pack; and Kellen looks at her and smiles. Come little friend, we need to keep our eyes open for a few more hours yet. Levn, try not to beat the drovers too badly at cards. he laughs.

Kellen adjusts the sling hanging from his belt, and counts pulls a single sling bullet from his pack, and tucking it alongside the weapon. Hefting his spear, decorated with nomadic runes. He looks over the companions, smiling as he considered them his new tribe, glancing over the lot of them. Levn, how come we don't get jobs running anything interesting anymore? Lumber, stone, wheat that's all these days. We don't even get fun things like escorting an interesting person, or moving valuables. With Sir Alfric, we're darn near respectable now a days. the shaman grins at the knight laughing as he does so.

The Kellid checks his wands to make sure his magical protections and healing devices are ready should brigands appear in the night. With the campfire, I'll keep magical light going near me on the first watch. as he conjures four small balls of light circling him. He pats Clumsyfoot as he begins to walk the perimeter of the campsite, waving to those in the group and trying to keep a count of everyone in the caravan.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M
Daymar:
Wizard (Diviner – Foresight School) 6 HPs:33/40, AC:13/17*|13|10/14*, Fort+4, Ref+6, Will+7 (+2 vs Enchantments), Per:+12(14) Init:+10, CMD:15, Prescience: 9/9

"I'm not sure how it's my fault that you haven't yet acquired the skillset required to think more than thirteen moves ahead in a game based almost entirely on strategic thinking. Which is, by definition, thinking ahead."

Daymar didn't sound upset - he rarely did - but the man he was talking to clearly looked upset. Of course, Daymar also seemed completely oblivious to this - as he usually was.

"All I'm saying," the white-haired elf continued, sounding relentlessly factual, "is that if you want to get better, you need to learn from your mistakes. The good news is, when you play with people who are better than you, there is inordinate opportunity to steepen the learning curve, and improve your skillset that much faster. And, clearly, I am much better than you are, so you should be much better by the time we reach Varnhold."

As usual, Daymar was somewhat startled when his opponent abruptly stood up and stalked away, muttering about "arrogant elfs."

Daymar, a little short for an elf, simply sighed, shook his head, and began to pack up the pieces of the game. "At least he didn't flip the board," he remarked to the rest of the group sitting nearby.

Kellen, I think the oxen are towing barges (they walk on the land beside the river, tied to chains pulling barges that are in the water). Not sure there'd be wagons, as everything the caravan needs would be on the boats. @Levn: No worries! Sadly, no one's likely to say, "change of plans, let the elf win."


Male Human Cavalier L6 | AC 23 (T10F23) CMD21 | HP: 74/74 | Saves: F8 R3 W3 | Percep +1 | Init +1 | Challenges: 1/2| Condition: Prot frm Evil +2+2 || Avalanche AC25 | HP 72/72

Sir Alfric stood for a while in the twilight, stolidly looking over the campfires after a long day.
He snorted quietly at the card game. How many games are being played there at the same time? He wondered idly. He had an idea, having attended a university with a large number of drinkers and gamblers.
After feeding, watering and brushing down Avalanche, Alfric grabbed his meal and took refuge under his camouflage netting.


DM rolls:

1d100 ⇒ 59
1d100 ⇒ 14
1d8 ⇒ 4

The camp slowly settled down for the night, dinner cleaned up, cards and games put away with a rhythm that was gradually becoming routine. Kellen's shift came and went uneventfully as the campfires burned down, leaving the watch lanterns on the front and aft of each barge as the main sources of light in the sea of darkness under the veil of clouds.

Alric/Avalanche, Perception checks please.


Male Human Cavalier L6 | AC 23 (T10F23) CMD21 | HP: 74/74 | Saves: F8 R3 W3 | Percep +1 | Init +1 | Challenges: 1/2| Condition: Prot frm Evil +2+2 || Avalanche AC25 | HP 72/72

The Green Knight Percep: 1d20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 1 + 2 = 22

Avalanche:Senses low-light vision, scent: Percep: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7


Going into the second half of his watch, Alric hears a goat bleating out in the dark, north of the road. It strikes him as odd since Alric doesn't remember seeing any wild goats out on the plains over the past few days.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human (Kellid) Shaman 6. HP 49/52, AC 13, T 11, FF 12; Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 11; Perception +6, initiative +5: Active Effects: False Life 14/14, +4 Survival checks

Ahh missed the barge part of the equation! but you get the general drift of things...


M
Daymar:
Wizard (Diviner – Foresight School) 6 HPs:33/40, AC:13/17*|13|10/14*, Fort+4, Ref+6, Will+7 (+2 vs Enchantments), Per:+12(14) Init:+10, CMD:15, Prescience: 9/9
Kellen Spirittalker wrote:
Ahh missed the barge part of the equation! but you get the general drift of things...

I see what you did there... :-)


Kellen Spirittalker wrote:
Ahh missed the barge part of the equation! but you get the general drift of things...

Heh.


Male Human Cavalier L6 | AC 23 (T10F23) CMD21 | HP: 74/74 | Saves: F8 R3 W3 | Percep +1 | Init +1 | Challenges: 1/2| Condition: Prot frm Evil +2+2 || Avalanche AC25 | HP 72/72

Sir Alfric tried to match the bleating with normal night sounds, but couldn't.
Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 10 + 2 = 27
He then grabbed up his sword and shield and went around waking his companions quietly, pointing out the out of place sounds from the North.
After that he starts armoring up.


Sir Alfric's keen knowledge of domesticated livestock told him it was either a goat making that noise or a remarkable mimic of goats.

Call it 5 rounds to wake the team and 4 minutes to put on half-plate, so 5 minutes-ish.


M
Daymar:
Wizard (Diviner – Foresight School) 6 HPs:33/40, AC:13/17*|13|10/14*, Fort+4, Ref+6, Will+7 (+2 vs Enchantments), Per:+12(14) Init:+10, CMD:15, Prescience: 9/9

He doesn't wear his armor while on guard duty?


Male Human (Kellid) Shaman 6. HP 49/52, AC 13, T 11, FF 12; Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 11; Perception +6, initiative +5: Active Effects: False Life 14/14, +4 Survival checks

I'm going to assume we don't have 10 full minutes while Sir Alfric armors up? If so I've got some more casting to do - if not, no worries.
Kellen begins praying quietly invoking the power of the spirits of his people.

False Life: 1d10 ⇒ 2
Cast: False Life (self), Barkskin (self), Ward Hex on Alfric (+2 AC and on Saves, active until hit) Lifelink Hex on Levn and Daemariel for now...


Male Koldemar Fighter 5/Master of many styles 1 HP 54/64, AC 24, T 18, FF 18; Fort 9, Ref 8, Will 5; Perception +9, initiative +6

Basdemar awakens at the touch and spends some minutes getting into his armor. After that, he slinks into the darkness awaiting whatever happens next, observing the camp from about 50 paces in the bushes.

Stealth: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (2) + 17 = 19


I'm just going by what Alfric said. It makes sense to me that he would have armored up before guard duty, but if not then it's 4 minutes to don half-plate.

Basdemar's breastplate is also 4 minutes, or 2 if somebody wants to help him. Or 1 to don hastily.


Male Human Cavalier L6 | AC 23 (T10F23) CMD21 | HP: 74/74 | Saves: F8 R3 W3 | Percep +1 | Init +1 | Challenges: 1/2| Condition: Prot frm Evil +2+2 || Avalanche AC25 | HP 72/72

Armoring up before guard duty makes sense. I forgot we had some time to do that. I will aid Basdemar's armoring as well.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M
Daymar:
Wizard (Diviner – Foresight School) 6 HPs:33/40, AC:13/17*|13|10/14*, Fort+4, Ref+6, Will+7 (+2 vs Enchantments), Per:+12(14) Init:+10, CMD:15, Prescience: 9/9

Daymar grumped about being woken up in the middle of the night. Once he'd been told it was for a goat, he stopped talking, gave Alfric a flat look, and turned to go back to bed.

Know:Nature: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (11) + 16 = 27

Unless that knowledge check tells him relatively definitively that the sound of a bleating goat in this area is Not Normal And Must Be Investigated (and/or gives him some clue as to what danger might actually be present), he's probably going back to bed. If Levn or someone convinces him it's important and/or interesting, he'll stay awake and go investigate with the crew. But in any case, he's not going to be casting spells until he knows this isn't a wild-goat-chase.


Male Human Cavalier L6 | AC 23 (T10F23) CMD21 | HP: 74/74 | Saves: F8 R3 W3 | Percep +1 | Init +1 | Challenges: 1/2| Condition: Prot frm Evil +2+2 || Avalanche AC25 | HP 72/72

The Green Knight looked at Daymar with disapproval.
"It's the middle of the night. Goats rest at night. Why is one bleating in the middle of the night?" He muttered so that Daymar could hear.


M
Daymar:
Wizard (Diviner – Foresight School) 6 HPs:33/40, AC:13/17*|13|10/14*, Fort+4, Ref+6, Will+7 (+2 vs Enchantments), Per:+12(14) Init:+10, CMD:15, Prescience: 9/9

"Perhaps because someone needlessly woke it up to warn it about hearing people nearby?" Daymar grumped. But there was little heat in it, and he didn't (yet) return to his bed. Instead, he threw his bandoleer over his shoulder and began to buckle on the belt that held some wands, a metal scroll case, and his pouch of components.


Male Human (Kellid) Shaman 6. HP 49/52, AC 13, T 11, FF 12; Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 11; Perception +6, initiative +5: Active Effects: False Life 14/14, +4 Survival checks

Kellen grins at Daymar, Worst case Daymar, we get up, find the goat, and then we've got goat for dinner tomorrow. Day, can you use this wand on me, just in case? he holds out his wand of mage armor to the elf.

if Daymar agrees, then 49/50 mage armor charges


M
Daymar:
Wizard (Diviner – Foresight School) 6 HPs:33/40, AC:13/17*|13|10/14*, Fort+4, Ref+6, Will+7 (+2 vs Enchantments), Per:+12(14) Init:+10, CMD:15, Prescience: 9/9

Now, Kellen had Daymar's attention. "A new wand" he asked, "when did you get this?" The elf accepted the wand and began to look it over. Without waiting for an answer from Kellen, he waved one hand over the length of the wand and muttered the word "reveal" in the draconic tongue. There was a brief flicker of magical light in Daemariel's green eyes, and he examined the small baton in his hands intently.

After the passing of a few heartbeats, he sighed, looking slightly disappointed. "I know this spell," he said, "it is a useful bit of craft." Then, with a twist of his wrist and the utterance of a single word, "armor", Daemariel tapped Kellen on the shoulder with the wand. The air shimmered around the shaman, and then the shimmering coalesced into a ghostly outline of the man, before seeming to fade away into nothingness. Kellen could tell, however, that the field of protective force was still in place around him.

"That should last you an hour or so," Daymar said, and held the wand out for Kellen to reclaim.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (13) + 15 = 28

Cast Detect Magic, Identified the properties of the wand. His Spellcraft is +15, and assuming it's a CL1 wand, the DC is 16. Since skills don't auto-fail on a 1, I probably didn't need to roll, but just in case. And since he's got 5 ranks in Spellcraft, it only takes a single round for him to ID magic items. Yeah, he probably could have just asked Kellen what it is and how to use it (assuming that the seller told Kellen those things when he bought it), but that wouldn't have been any fun for him. :-)


Male Human (Kellid) Shaman 6. HP 49/52, AC 13, T 11, FF 12; Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 11; Perception +6, initiative +5: Active Effects: False Life 14/14, +4 Survival checks

LOL yeah true. It would take Kellen 10 minutes to prepare to cast that spell, so having you do it was faster.

Kellen now: 55hp, AC 17, Touch 11, Flat 16


Levn:
half-elf investigator (empiricist) 6 HPs:13/39, AC:19*|13*|16*, Fort+4, Ref+8*, Will+6 (+2 illusions, insp for +11) - Per:+13 (+3 traps) Init:+3, CMD:18 (*+2 traps)

Levn had woken with a very unelven snort. Now he busied himself shrugging into his own armor. Paranoia was one of the more useful tricks he'd picked up along the way, and it seemed he wasn't the only one.

"Gotta get me one of those," he grinned at Kellen. "But I'd have to leave it with Daymar, and he'd just hog it to experiment with. You know how elves get." He yawned at Daymar, just to nettle the elf, even though he knew he wouldn't get a rise out of him.

"Goats, huh. Glad to know we're not the only ones not getting a good night's sleep."


Male Human Cavalier L6 | AC 23 (T10F23) CMD21 | HP: 74/74 | Saves: F8 R3 W3 | Percep +1 | Init +1 | Challenges: 1/2| Condition: Prot frm Evil +2+2 || Avalanche AC25 | HP 72/72

"Goats, or a very good mimic..." Whispered Alfric.


Male Koldemar Fighter 5/Master of many styles 1 HP 54/64, AC 24, T 18, FF 18; Fort 9, Ref 8, Will 5; Perception +9, initiative +6

"Sssshh, mammals. Not everyone needs to know you're awake. Lay back down once you're in armor and be still. We can maybe ambush the ambushers.

Thanks for the help, Sir Alfric."
Nodding his thanks to the big knight, small shadow slinks into the bushes. Not his finest moments, as more perceptive of the group can follow his progress. Maybe sluggish from sleep?

Reminder: stealth only 19 :(
Perception 24
This assumes of course we have 2 minutes to get dressed.


OK, 2 minutes pass and everyone's fully armored since Alfric was already suited up. So are you (other than Bas, who has already declared) waiting for ambushers or going north into the dark to investigate? Who can see in the dark and who needs/is carrying a light source?

The caravan escorts quietly prepared for whatever was out there in the dark. The goat continued to bleat, sounding more annoyed than frightened to both Alfric and Daymar.


Male Human (Kellid) Shaman 6. HP 49/52, AC 13, T 11, FF 12; Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 11; Perception +6, initiative +5: Active Effects: False Life 14/14, +4 Survival checks

Kellen will look to the others, Are we springing this ambush? Or trying to sneak into it? I can illuminate out in that direction where the goat noises are.

He picks Ryllia up onto his shoulder, and grasps his longspear with both hands, preparing himself.

If the party wants to illuminate it, Kellen will cast Dancing Lights in the direction of the goat noises 160' range


Male Koldemar Fighter 5/Master of many styles 1 HP 54/64, AC 24, T 18, FF 18; Fort 9, Ref 8, Will 5; Perception +9, initiative +6
karlprosek wrote:
OK, 2 minutes pass and everyone's fully armored since Alfric was already suited up. So are you (other than Bas, who has already declared) waiting for ambushers or going north into the dark to investigate? Who can see in the dark and who needs/is carrying a light source?

Bas goes forward, but not too far. He waits for someone to pass or something to happen. He will not attack, but follow once they (whoever) passes. Unless spotted ofcourse.


OK, so Bas advances north toward the noise say, 20 feet (one Move action for him)? He has darkvision, so he's good without light.


Levn:
half-elf investigator (empiricist) 6 HPs:13/39, AC:19*|13*|16*, Fort+4, Ref+8*, Will+6 (+2 illusions, insp for +11) - Per:+13 (+3 traps) Init:+3, CMD:18 (*+2 traps)

Levn raised a hand to forestall Kellen's magic. "Let's see if it's a danger, or a lost goat. Bas will be able to confirm it, either way," he said quietly.

He slunk along the tents, staying hidden (hopefully) to whomever or whatever was out there, while keeping an eye in all directions while he waited for some signal from Bas. To all appearances, he wasn't armed or armored - just another drover slinking about.

Stealth: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26


Male Human (Kellid) Shaman 6. HP 49/52, AC 13, T 11, FF 12; Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 11; Perception +6, initiative +5: Active Effects: False Life 14/14, +4 Survival checks

Kellen nods to the half-elf, Alright then, Just rather see what's coming before it gets here. Better that way, yes?

He takes up position with Daymar, hopefully near Sir Alfric. Kellen shifts the longspear in hand, gazing intently into the darkness, trying to see if they were being snuck up on.


Male Koldemar Fighter 5/Master of many styles 1 HP 54/64, AC 24, T 18, FF 18; Fort 9, Ref 8, Will 5; Perception +9, initiative +6

So, no one likes the idea of pretending to sleep :)

Bas has 30' move. Assuming he didn't see anything, go on another 15' (half move in stealth)

Basdemar, now feeling safe hidden in the dark, waits for 20 breaths then advances a bit more, trying to see the goat. Or whatever disturbed it.

"I should see something by now..." he thinks "...unless this is a distraction and the attack in on the barges!

It is not in his nature to reveal himself in the darkness, and he still knows nothing about the enemy. But the speed is of essence! He rushes closer to the camp, but on a tangent so he touches the edge of the camp, but continues toward the river.

When he is closest to the edge he throws a stone at one of the people in the camp before continuing.

Hurried stealth: 1d20 + 17 - 10 ⇒ (19) + 17 - 10 = 26
Stone throw: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21

ends up closer to the river, closer to the camp on the downriver side


45 feet out from the camp, Bas didn't see anything interesting in the grass. The only thing of interest to hear was the goat, which sounded like it was a couple hundred feet to the north.

Then Bas headed back south to check the river for ambushers. As far as he could tell, there weren't any raiders on the river close to camp.

I'm not clear on who you're throwing the rock at? That read as about 11-12 rounds of action, with waiting 20 breaths (figure 3 seconds per breath) 45' from camp. So it's been around 3 minutes since Alfric first heard the noise.


Male Koldemar Fighter 5/Master of many styles 1 HP 54/64, AC 24, T 18, FF 18; Fort 9, Ref 8, Will 5; Perception +9, initiative +6
karlprosek wrote:


I'm not clear on who you're throwing the rock at? That read as about 11-12 rounds of action, with waiting 20 breaths (figure 3 seconds per breath) 45' from camp. So it's been around 3 minutes since Alfric first heard the noise.

Yes, the time should be around a minute of waiting :)

I don't know the distances involved, but Bas can move 60' on full move (taking -10 on stealth).

The rock was at party member depending on who is in potential range, I probably should have described some kind of signal flashing (such as silver holy symbol), but as-is, just getting the attention of someone to the side instead of everyone looking forward.

If he doesn't find anything or anyone near the river he will wait for another minute and then report.


Male Human (Kellid) Shaman 6. HP 49/52, AC 13, T 11, FF 12; Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 11; Perception +6, initiative +5: Active Effects: False Life 14/14, +4 Survival checks

Kellen waits 'patiently' for Basdemar's report, shifting his weight from foot to foot, opening and closing his hand on the longspear, straining his eyes against the darkness around the caravan. Hearing the stone land close he tightens his gaze against the darkness, trying to separate the tricks of the mind against what's potentially out there. He comments to Alfric, Be ready for anything Sir, this does not seem right. but he resists casting any further spells to give light to the party, or anyone who means them harm.

perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18


Levn:
half-elf investigator (empiricist) 6 HPs:13/39, AC:19*|13*|16*, Fort+4, Ref+8*, Will+6 (+2 illusions, insp for +11) - Per:+13 (+3 traps) Init:+3, CMD:18 (*+2 traps)

Levn, on the other hand, was wondering if they'd all really been woken up due to some lost goat.

"Maybe someone should walk that way in the open, to draw out anything that's out there," he yawned, making no move to actually do that.

Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (16) + 13 = 29


Another minute passed and Basdemar didn't see or hear anything out on the water or approaching along the riverbank. The goat had finally fallen silent, perhaps coming to accept that nothing was going to change its situation.

Been around 4 minutes now. The goat has finally stopped bleating.


M
Daymar:
Wizard (Diviner – Foresight School) 6 HPs:33/40, AC:13/17*|13|10/14*, Fort+4, Ref+6, Will+7 (+2 vs Enchantments), Per:+12(14) Init:+10, CMD:15, Prescience: 9/9

Daymar sighed.

"We can light it up, we can go out there, or I can go back to bed. What's the decision?"

Fireball?


Male Koldemar Fighter 5/Master of many styles 1 HP 54/64, AC 24, T 18, FF 18; Fort 9, Ref 8, Will 5; Perception +9, initiative +6

Basdemar was confused. It seems this really is just a goat bleating in the night. No one was sneaking up on them, at least not by the river.

He returns to the others coming from the river side.
"I can go check. I had an idea that this was a distraction so I circled around the camp to check on the barges. I didn't see anything dangerous.

I will have the horn ready, if you hear me fighting or the horn...well, come quickly.

Anyone wants to join so we cover the ground faster?"

Regardless of the response, he wraps himself into his wings and moves into the darkness again.

Stealth: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (2) + 17 = 19
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22


Levn:
half-elf investigator (empiricist) 6 HPs:13/39, AC:19*|13*|16*, Fort+4, Ref+8*, Will+6 (+2 illusions, insp for +11) - Per:+13 (+3 traps) Init:+3, CMD:18 (*+2 traps)

Levn punched Daymar in the shoulder with a grin. "Need your beauty sleep, Day? Heh. Bas, I'll go too." He slunk out of the telt and into the high grass, trying to keep from being too blatantly obvious about approaching where the goat had been bleating from - but he was quick to move through the blowing grass.

Fast Stealth: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28


Basdemar and Levn crept out into the grass, quick and quiet as stalking cats. Not knowing exactly where the goat was and with it having fallen silent, it was hard to zero in on the thing's location.

With eyes attuned to moving through lightless tunnels, it made sense that Basdemar spotted it first- a full grown white billy goat, munching placidly on the grass by its feet, held in place with a rope tied around its neck and staked down into the ground.

Levn can't see in the dark, right? I'll say the light level is Dim Light so you can move around; all targets have Concealment from you. Perception check for Levn, please.

It's been just under 5 minutes since Alfric first heard the goat.

DM rolls:
OG: 1d20 + 9 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 9 + 10 = 29
P1: 1d20 + 7 + 5 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 7 + 5 + 3 = 20
P2: 1d20 + 7 + 5 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 7 + 5 + 3 = 23
P3: 1d20 + 7 + 5 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 7 + 5 + 3 = 21
P4: 1d20 + 7 + 5 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 7 + 5 + 3 = 23


Levn:
half-elf investigator (empiricist) 6 HPs:13/39, AC:19*|13*|16*, Fort+4, Ref+8*, Will+6 (+2 illusions, insp for +11) - Per:+13 (+3 traps) Init:+3, CMD:18 (*+2 traps)

Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17 +3 if there's a trap that isn't an ambush

DAMMIT, DICEBOT.


Male Koldemar Fighter 5/Master of many styles 1 HP 54/64, AC 24, T 18, FF 18; Fort 9, Ref 8, Will 5; Perception +9, initiative +6

Basdemar taps Levn, stopping him.

Using hands, putting all fingers together in a "snout" and two fingers of the other marking the horns, he points forward and mimes rope around the neck and counts 5 hands while "walking" with the other.

He points at himself and then to the right. Then on Levn and to the left.

He waits for the answer, picking his horn back into the hand.

OOC: so, translation :) there is a goat with the rope around its neck, 20' forward (adjust number of hands for proper distance, kobolds I believe have 4 fingers on their hands?). I go right, you go left.


Levn:
half-elf investigator (empiricist) 6 HPs:13/39, AC:19*|13*|16*, Fort+4, Ref+8*, Will+6 (+2 illusions, insp for +11) - Per:+13 (+3 traps) Init:+3, CMD:18 (*+2 traps)

Levn squinted at Bas in the dark. The kobold had obviously seen something. He couldn't think of a reason not to go along with Bas' plan.

He gently unhooked his belt, and the metal links melted, then swam into the shape of a thornblade. He nodded, and went left.


The pair of scouts fanned out to the left and right. They hadn't gotten more than a few feet before something swooped down out of the night sky, smashing the goat to the ground.

Almost as suddenly, a bunch of things- a net and what looked like rocks tied together by rope?- shot out of the grass at the featureless black mass hunched over the goat.

DM rolls:
P1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
P2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
P3: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
P4: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
MH: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
OG: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

A pair of the thrown ropes tangled up the mounds on the black creature's back- no, they were wings- but the others and the net all missed.

Someone cursed in the darkness on the far side of the black, winged monster. "Dammit, missed!"

Someone else on the far side of the creature- still tearing at the goat, in spite of the bolas tangled around its wings- chanted out the words of a spell. She came to a sudden end and nothing happened. "It shrugged it off! Net it and I'll try again!"

Kn:Arcana, DC 14:
The creature has the body of a great cat and the head and forelegs of a huge owl, along with a massive pair of feathered wings. You'd guess this is some kind of variant griffon.

Kn:Arcana, DC 19:
This black furred, black feathered beast is a rare variant called a night griffon. They are nocturnal hunters, as opposed to the usual diurnal habits of normal griffons. This one looks like it's only half grown, likely a yearling rather than a full grown adult specimen.

OK, roll Initiative. No one seems to have noticed you two, or if they have they are focused on the monster.

P1: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
P2: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
P3: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
P4: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
MH: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
CW: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
OG: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

1 to 50 of 822 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Fell Kingdom (PF1 Kingmaker) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.