GM Kate's The Slithering (closed)

Game Master Kate Baker

Slides here


501 to 550 of 710 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

Quest 8 || Extinction Curse || The Slithering

Not a crit. Asta knows lots of things about boggards, like their terrifying croak.

Croakchief Globblit Skink-Eater rises from his makeshift throne and draws his enormous greatclub. He then barks orders at his guards.

"Well? Go on. Attack them!"

Warrior 2 runs in next to Asta and Warrior 1 takes a swing.

Club: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12
ouch!: 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

"Bah. What do I even pay you for!"

Initiative!
Asta
Croakchief
Yuturr
Fuchsia
Jack

Warrior 1, -13 hp
Warrior 2
Zarke


Female Ratfolk (Aasamir) Swashbuckler (Wit) 6 | 30' (35' w/panache & 15' climb/swim) | HP: 74/78 | AC: 24 (26 with Parry) | Perc: +11 (E; Darkvision) | F: +12 R: +14 W: +11 | Exploration: Scout | Status: Anitdote (6/6 hrs) / plage (24 hrs), bleed 1d4, parrying | Hero Points: 1

Fucshia shouts at the leader:

And you're gonna have to do all the bleeding yourself!

bon mot: 1d20 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 12 + 1 = 28 Trying to bon mot the croakchief, hoping his will DC isn’t 29 or more!

The ratfolk rushes around the guards to set up a flank for her favorite cat frenemy, and strikes Warrior 1 with confidence!

Striking Rapier, Confidernt Fnisher vs FF: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (10) + 14 = 24
P: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (3, 4) + 4 = 11
Precision: 3d6 ⇒ (2, 4, 1) = 7 half on miss.
FF on crit; deadly 1d8 ⇒ 8

She frowns. Okay… not all of it. Just most.


M Kobold Druid 6 | HP (65/72) | AC 24 | F +12, R +12, W +14 | Perception +14 | Poison Resistance 2 | (HP 1/3)
T’gon’l:
HP 62/62 | AC 21 | F +13 R +13 W +12 | Perception +12 | jaws, +12 Damage 2d8+4 piercing

Zarke urges T'gon'l forward who barely squeezes by the corner. Once in position Zarke smashes the flanked frog.

Maul vs #2 FF: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31
bludgeoning damage: 2d12 + 4 ⇒ (11, 9) + 4 = 24

before casting fear on the big bad bog.

Will DC 21
Critical Success The target is unaffected.
Success The target is frightened 1.
Failure The target is frightened 2.
Critical Failure The target is frightened 3 and fleeing for 1 round.


NG Male Leshy Witch 6 | HP 62/62 | AC 19 | Fort +12, Refl +9, Will +13 | Perc +11 | Speed 25 | Focus 1/1 | Hero Points 2/3 | Default Exploration: Search

Action 1: Stride
Action 2-3: Grease

Jack takes a couple steps forward, then casts his own spell. A splatter of grease appears beneath the two warriors.
DC 21 Reflex save or Acrobatics check or fall prone


CG Catfolk Rog6 | HP: 27/68 | AC: 23 | Fort: +10, Refl: +14, Will: +10 | Perception: +10 (low-light vision) | Speed 25 ft | Hero points 0

Yuturr moves up to surround #2. Oh, I think there'll be enough bleeding to go around for this lot, he says cheerily, stabbing at the flanked boggard.

stabbity vs. flat-footed AC: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (4) + 14 = 18
piercing w/sneak attack: 2d6 + 2d6 ⇒ (1, 6) + (2, 3) = 12
plus deadly, if a crit: 1d8 ⇒ 4

stabbity vs. flat-footed AC: 1d20 + 14 - 4 ⇒ (11) + 14 - 4 = 21
piercing w/sneak attack: 2d6 + 2d6 ⇒ (2, 5) + (1, 3) = 11
plus deadly, if a crit: 1d8 ⇒ 1

Stride, Strike x2


Quest 8 || Extinction Curse || The Slithering

Fuchsia throws the Croakchief off-kilter with a well-placed verbal barb, and stabs Warrior 1.

Jack makes the floor all greasy.

Reflex save 1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Reflex save 1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

1 remains standing but 2 falls prone!

Yuturr dashes in and stabs #2 twice.

#1, precariously positioned on the grease, stays put and tries to club Asta.

Club: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17
ouch!: 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Club: 1d20 + 10 - 5 ⇒ (18) + 10 - 5 = 23
ouch!: 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

Club: 1d20 + 10 - 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 - 10 = 3
ouch!: 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Warrior 2 crawls out of the grease, stands, and clubs at Fuchsia.

Club: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21
ouch!: 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

Zarke rides T'gon'l in and smashes the boggard. He then tries to make the Croakchief afraid.

Will save: 1d20 + 13 - 2 ⇒ (8) + 13 - 2 = 19

Initiative!
Asta, -9 hp
Croakchief, bon mot'ed, frightened 2
Yuturr
Fuchsia, -9 hp
Jack
Warrior 1, -31 hp
Zarke


Male shoony investigator 6 | hp 66/66 | AC 24, Fort +9, Ref +14, Will +12 | Speed 25ft | Percept +12, LLV, Scent (Imp.) 30 ft | Hero Points: 1/3 | Exploration Mode: | Battle Medicine Used: Zarke | Conditions: | ◆◇

Society to Recall Knowledge (Known Weakness): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (3) + 13 = 16
DaS: 1d20 ⇒ 8

The throbbing pain in his head prevents Asta from focusing on the perfect moment to strike, but he decides to take what opportunity he can anyway.

+1 striking sword cane (DaS d20) vs. flank: 8 + 14 = 22
P damage: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (5, 1) + 1 = 7
Strategic Strike: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 3) = 8

+1 striking sword cane (agile 2nd attack) vs. flank: 1d20 + 14 - 4 ⇒ (1) + 14 - 4 = 11
P damage: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (3, 1) + 1 = 5

◆DaS, ◆Strike, ◆Strike


Quest 8 || Extinction Curse || The Slithering

Asta takes down the warrior!

The Croakchief Steps forward and lashes out at Zarke with both club and tongue in one fluid motion!

Club!: 1d20 + 15 - 2 ⇒ (10) + 15 - 2 = 23
ouch!: 2d10 + 5 ⇒ (7, 10) + 5 = 22

Tongue vs flat-footed because he's special: 1d20 + 14 - 2 ⇒ (10) + 14 - 2 = 22

He grabs Zarke with his tongue and then tries to smack him with his club.

Club!: 1d20 + 15 - 10 - 2 ⇒ (1) + 15 - 10 - 2 = 4
ouch!: 2d10 + 5 ⇒ (7, 9) + 5 = 21

tongue grab:
If Globblit hits a creature with his tongue, that creature becomes grabbed by him. Unlike a normal grab, the creature isn’t immobilized, but it can’t move beyond the reach of Globblit’s tongue. A creature can sever the tongue by succeeding at an AC 18 Strike and dealing at least 6 slashing damage. Though this doesn’t deal any damage to Globblit, it prevents him from using his tongue Strike until it regrows, which takes a week.

Initiative!
Asta, -9 hp
Croakchief, bon mot'ed, frightened 2
Yuturr
Fuchsia, -9 hp
Jack
Zarke, -22 hp, grabbed


Female Ratfolk (Aasamir) Swashbuckler (Wit) 6 | 30' (35' w/panache & 15' climb/swim) | HP: 74/78 | AC: 24 (26 with Parry) | Perc: +11 (E; Darkvision) | F: +12 R: +14 W: +11 | Exploration: Scout | Status: Anitdote (6/6 hrs) / plage (24 hrs), bleed 1d4, parrying | Hero Points: 1

Acrobatics to tumble through (E): 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (3) + 14 = 17

Acrobatics to tumble through (again) (E): 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (10) + 14 = 24

If that 24 fails:
Fucshia will Stride behind the Croakchief.

If that 24 succeeds:

Striking Rapier, Confidernt Fnisher: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (7) + 14 = 21
P: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (1, 4) + 4 = 9
Precision: 3d6 ⇒ (6, 6, 1) = 13 half on miss.
FF on crit; deadly 1d8 ⇒ 4

If a 17 somehow beats his reflex DC… hey, he's frightened:
Fuchsia will parry as her third action.

if enemy crit misses me:
Striking Shortsword: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (10) + 14 = 24
P/S: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (3, 5) + 4 = 12
& Flat-Footed on Critical


Male shoony investigator 6 | hp 66/66 | AC 24, Fort +9, Ref +14, Will +12 | Speed 25ft | Percept +12, LLV, Scent (Imp.) 30 ft | Hero Points: 1/3 | Exploration Mode: | Battle Medicine Used: Zarke | Conditions: | ◆◇

Society to Recall Knowledge (Known Weakness): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (3) + 13 = 16
DaS: 1d20 ⇒ 9

Asta studies the croakchief for a moment then strides forward to attack, leaving the prime position for Yuturr to make better use of.

+1 striking sword cane (DaS): 9 + 14 = 23
P damage: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (4, 3) + 1 = 8
Strategic Strike: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 5) = 6

◆DaS, ◆Stride, ◆Strike


Quest 8 || Extinction Curse || The Slithering

The 24 succeeds! The 17 failed, though not by much.

Fuchsia darts in and stabs the Croakchief. Asta joins in with a carefully studied strike.

Initiative!
Asta, -9 hp
Croakchief, bon mot'ed, frightened 1, -36 hp
Yuturr
Fuchsia, -9 hp
Jack
Zarke, -22 hp, grabbed

Sorry, forgot to bold last time!


NG Male Leshy Witch 6 | HP 62/62 | AC 19 | Fort +12, Refl +9, Will +13 | Perc +11 | Speed 25 | Focus 1/1 | Hero Points 2/3 | Default Exploration: Search

Action 1-2: Ray of Frost
Action 3: Shield

Jack quickly invokes a spell to release a ray of frost at the chief!
Ray of Frost: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27
Damage (Cold): 3d4 + 4 ⇒ (3, 3, 4) + 4 = 14

He then utters another spell to magically protect himself.


CG Catfolk Rog6 | HP: 27/68 | AC: 23 | Fort: +10, Refl: +14, Will: +10 | Perception: +10 (low-light vision) | Speed 25 ft | Hero points 0

Yuturr quickly takes the plum spot, giving the chief a fine welcome.

stabbity vs. flat-footed AC: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (1) + 14 = 15 I VOLUNTEER THIS HERO POINT AS TRIBUTE
stabbity vs. flat-footed AC: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (2) + 14 = 16 ...um, yeah.
piercing w/sneak attack: 2d6 + 2d6 ⇒ (3, 6) + (2, 1) = 12
plus deadly, if a crit: 1d8 ⇒ 7

stabbity vs. flat-footed AC: 1d20 + 14 - 4 ⇒ (6) + 14 - 4 = 16
piercing w/sneak attack: 2d6 + 2d6 ⇒ (4, 1) + (2, 3) = 10
plus deadly, if a crit: 1d8 ⇒ 2

Stride, Strike x2.


Quest 8 || Extinction Curse || The Slithering

Yuturr struggles to connect while Jack blasts the boggard with a ray of cold.

Initiative!
Asta, -9 hp
Croakchief, bon mot'ed, frightened 1, -50 hp
Yuturr
Fuchsia, -9 hp
Jack
Zarke, -22 hp, grabbed

Dark Archive

Botting Druid; I have been instructed to kill.

Hammer, Strike 1: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16
Hammer, Strike 2: 1d20 + 12 - 5 ⇒ (8) + 12 - 5 = 15
Hammer, Strike 2: 1d20 + 12 - 10 ⇒ (17) + 12 - 10 = 19
B, Strike 1: 2d12 + 4 ⇒ (5, 4) + 4 = 13
B, Strike 2: 2d12 + 4 ⇒ (8, 6) + 4 = 18
B, Strike 3: 2d12 + 4 ⇒ (10, 9) + 4 = 23


Quest 8 || Extinction Curse || The Slithering

Zarke, perhaps distracted by the tongue grabbing him, misses.

The Croakchief keeps on hitting Zarke!

Club!: 1d20 + 15 - 1 ⇒ (4) + 15 - 1 = 18
ouch!: 2d10 + 5 ⇒ (4, 1) + 5 = 10

Tongue: 1d20 + 14 - 1 ⇒ (14) + 14 - 1 = 27

The club doesn't connect, but the tongue wraps firmly around Zarke again.

Club!: 1d20 + 15 - 1 - 10 ⇒ (19) + 15 - 1 - 10 = 23
ouch!: 2d10 + 5 ⇒ (10, 8) + 5 = 23

Club!: 1d20 + 15 - 1 - 10 ⇒ (13) + 15 - 1 - 10 = 17
ouch!: 2d10 + 5 ⇒ (7, 3) + 5 = 15

He hits Zarke once!

Initiative!
Asta, -9 hp
Croakchief, bon mot'ed, -50 hp
Yuturr
Fuchsia, -9 hp
Jack
Zarke, -45 hp, grabbed


Female Ratfolk (Aasamir) Swashbuckler (Wit) 6 | 30' (35' w/panache & 15' climb/swim) | HP: 74/78 | AC: 24 (26 with Parry) | Perc: +11 (E; Darkvision) | F: +12 R: +14 W: +11 | Exploration: Scout | Status: Anitdote (6/6 hrs) / plage (24 hrs), bleed 1d4, parrying | Hero Points: 1

bad bot!

Fucshia tries to tumble through. 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (4) + 14 = 18

Fucshia tries to tumble through again. 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (7) + 14 = 21

Striking Rapier, Confident Fnisher vs FF: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (16) + 14 = 30
P: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (2, 1) + 4 = 7
Precision: 3d6 ⇒ (6, 2, 6) = 14 half on miss.
FF on crit; deadly 1d8 ⇒ 6

If the second tumble failed she will still attack, only no finisher damage

Riposte if crit fail attack against me:

Striking Shortsword: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (20) + 14 = 34
P/S: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (3, 6) + 4 = 13
& Flat-Footed on Critical


Male shoony investigator 6 | hp 66/66 | AC 24, Fort +9, Ref +14, Will +12 | Speed 25ft | Percept +12, LLV, Scent (Imp.) 30 ft | Hero Points: 1/3 | Exploration Mode: | Battle Medicine Used: Zarke | Conditions: | ◆◇

Society (Known Weakness): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (3) + 13 = 16
DaS: 1d20 ⇒ 16

Spotting an opportunity, Asta draws his dagger in his off hand and neatly severs the chief's tongue!

+1 striking dagger (DaS) vs tongue: 16 + 14 = 30
S damage: 2d4 + 1 ⇒ (1, 3) + 1 = 5
Strategic Strike: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 6) = 7

◆Das, ◆Interact to draw dagger, ◆Strike


M Kobold Druid 6 | HP (65/72) | AC 24 | F +12, R +12, W +14 | Perception +14 | Poison Resistance 2 | (HP 1/3)
T’gon’l:
HP 62/62 | AC 21 | F +13 R +13 W +12 | Perception +12 | jaws, +12 Damage 2d8+4 piercing

With Asta cutting him free Zarke smashes the chief twice before dismounting.

smash: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24
bludgeoning damage: 2d12 + 4 ⇒ (8, 11) + 4 = 23

more dmash: 1d20 + 12 - 5 ⇒ (19) + 12 - 5 = 26
bludgeoning damage: 2d12 + 4 ⇒ (12, 4) + 4 = 20

T’gon’l then follows up with his own bite.

jaws: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16
piercing damage: 2d8 + 4 ⇒ (1, 8) + 4 = 13


Quest 8 || Extinction Curse || The Slithering

Fuchsia's successful tumble draws the Croakchief off target so she can get in a perfect stab with her rapier. Asta slashes at the boggard's tongue to get Zarke loose, who then pummels the Croakchief with his hammer.

Out of combat!

The Croakchief has a +1 striking greatclub, 3 javelins, and breastplate on his person.

The chest that Globblit uses to elevate his bizarre chair contains the croakchief’s treasure: several cleverly woven mats of reeds and grasses that are interesting but valueless, several pieces of fake jewelry, a smelly leather pouch containing 48 gp, five gold bracelets worth 60 gp each, eight playing pieces from an ivory chess set worth 12 gp each, a barkskin potion, and a +1 breastplate.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Ratfolk (Aasamir) Swashbuckler (Wit) 6 | 30' (35' w/panache & 15' climb/swim) | HP: 74/78 | AC: 24 (26 with Parry) | Perc: +11 (E; Darkvision) | F: +12 R: +14 W: +11 | Exploration: Scout | Status: Anitdote (6/6 hrs) / plage (24 hrs), bleed 1d4, parrying | Hero Points: 1

He died as he lived… croaking.

After Zarke gets healed up, Fuchsia opens the door to the next room.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Catfolk Rog6 | HP: 27/68 | AC: 23 | Fort: +10, Refl: +14, Will: +10 | Perception: +10 (low-light vision) | Speed 25 ft | Hero points 0

Yuturr shakes his head. You mean he croaked as he lived. Come now, I know you're wittier than that. He is not so busy playfully jabbing Fuchsia to help scoop up the treasure found. Not sure any of us can use this magical bit, but it's worth some coin nonetheless.


NG Male Leshy Witch 6 | HP 62/62 | AC 19 | Fort +12, Refl +9, Will +13 | Perc +11 | Speed 25 | Focus 1/1 | Hero Points 2/3 | Default Exploration: Search

Jack looks to Nutmeg, then points at the greatclub. "New drumstick?"

She shakes her head, causing Jack to shrug and move on. He catches up to the group, waiting for Fuchsia to open the door.


Quest 8 || Extinction Curse || The Slithering

You open the door to the big room.

An enormous sun symbol carved into the floor of this room glows with a warm light. The symbol is a loose spiral with triangles surrounding it like rays. Two holes pierce the stone floor in the symbol, one at the symbol’s center and the other at the end of the sun-spiral. The walls are carved with intricate runes and myriad shapes of animalistic humanoid warriors, and it takes only a moment of examination to realize that these shapes represent the Pillar-Watchers around Kibwe. A raised dais at the far end of the room contains a pedestal for a statue, but no statue is present.

The hole at the center of this symbol looks down onto the end of the spiral of the lower sun, while the hole at the end of this spiral looks down on the center of the lower sun.

The carvings are in an archaic dialect of Mwangi.

If you speak Mwangi and succeed at a DC 20 Arcana or Society check to decipher writing:

The writing looks like an inventory. It's definitely very out of date: some of the best-known Pillar-Watchers aren't listed, and there are some listed here that you've never heard of. The Pillar-Watchers are named in the text with titles such as “Boneseeker,” “Crykeeper,” and “Fallowbringer.” Cursebreaker is one of the listed Pillar-Watchers, and the eland-headed image here is just as Abayone described to you.

If you want to try to perform the ritual in the pictures, please attempt an Arcana or Nature check. (+2 bonus if you succeeded at the above check)

You can tell that one person must perform the ritual at the center hole while someone else performs the ritual at the hole at the edge.


CG Catfolk Rog6 | HP: 27/68 | AC: 23 | Fort: +10, Refl: +14, Will: +10 | Perception: +10 (low-light vision) | Speed 25 ft | Hero points 0

Yuturr speaks Mwangi: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12

Can't quite make this out, Yuturr says. It's Mwangi, I think, but an ancient variety of it.

He looks over at the pedestal. Quite the intricate key, I'd say.
Yuturr's Arcana check is +10.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Kobold Druid 6 | HP (65/72) | AC 24 | F +12, R +12, W +14 | Perception +14 | Poison Resistance 2 | (HP 1/3)
T’gon’l:
HP 62/62 | AC 21 | F +13 R +13 W +12 | Perception +12 | jaws, +12 Damage 2d8+4 piercing

Zarke speaks Mwangi Arcana: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24

Zarke comes though with one of his first investigative success.

Zarke comments "It's a list of Pillar-Watchers... it's old though... missing important names and has many I don't recognize either. This does appear to be where we're supposed to be at least."

Zarke ponders a bit over the names "Fallowbringer sounds dangerous but Cursebreaker could be helpful, not sure if we get the choice though."


Female Ratfolk (Aasamir) Swashbuckler (Wit) 6 | 30' (35' w/panache & 15' climb/swim) | HP: 74/78 | AC: 24 (26 with Parry) | Perc: +11 (E; Darkvision) | F: +12 R: +14 W: +11 | Exploration: Scout | Status: Anitdote (6/6 hrs) / plage (24 hrs), bleed 1d4, parrying | Hero Points: 1

Tamil said Cursebreaker is gonna mess up his life. So let's activate that one. Though, if there's a Frogstomper I'll settle for that.

She points at the empty pedestal. Should something be there? Maybe it's that statue of the scaredy ca— I mean, lady, from downstairs.


NG Male Leshy Witch 6 | HP 62/62 | AC 19 | Fort +12, Refl +9, Will +13 | Perc +11 | Speed 25 | Focus 1/1 | Hero Points 2/3 | Default Exploration: Search

Jack looks on, head cocked as the others talk and debate. Finally he says, "Want me to perform the ritual? Performance is my specialty, after all."


CG Catfolk Rog6 | HP: 27/68 | AC: 23 | Fort: +10, Refl: +14, Will: +10 | Perception: +10 (low-light vision) | Speed 25 ft | Hero points 0

Let's see how you can do, Jack, Yuturr says, folding his arms to watch.


Male shoony investigator 6 | hp 66/66 | AC 24, Fort +9, Ref +14, Will +12 | Speed 25ft | Percept +12, LLV, Scent (Imp.) 30 ft | Hero Points: 1/3 | Exploration Mode: | Battle Medicine Used: Zarke | Conditions: | ◆◇

Society to decipher: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (10) + 13 = 23

"Go ahead Jack. Would you like some assistance?"


NG Male Leshy Witch 6 | HP 62/62 | AC 19 | Fort +12, Refl +9, Will +13 | Perc +11 | Speed 25 | Focus 1/1 | Hero Points 2/3 | Default Exploration: Search

"Won't say no to a bit of help," Jack says to Asta, then steps forward and attempts to work his way through the ritual.
Arcana: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24
I'm not sure where Jack needs to be on the map to do this, but wherever that is, there he is.


Male shoony investigator 6 | hp 66/66 | AC 24, Fort +9, Ref +14, Will +12 | Speed 25ft | Percept +12, LLV, Scent (Imp.) 30 ft | Hero Points: 1/3 | Exploration Mode: | Battle Medicine Used: Zarke | Conditions: | ◆◇

"Great, you set the cadence and I'll follow along."

Arcana to aid: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (11) + 13 = 24


Quest 8 || Extinction Curse || The Slithering

I think I wasn't super clear on what was necessary, so I'll take Asta's check to aid as the check for the second person performing the ritual.

Jack and Asta take their positions. They carefully perform each of the movements shown on the walls while repeating the bolded words.

Suddenly, an intangible orb of light 1 foot in diameter appears around Jack and moves away along the spiral. When it reaches Asta at the end of the spiral, it drops through the hole in the floor to the center of the lower sun and traces a similar path along that spiral. When the orb reaches the end, it rises up through the ceiling to the center of this symbol and begins the path again.

When it does so, each of you who are injured regain five hit points.

The orb moves quickly, completing the circuit of the upper symbol in 1 round and then a circuit of the lower symbol in the following round. Each time it does so, you again feel its healing effects.

It continues for ten minutes. You can see that the orb has some effect on the pedestal, but with the pedestal empty, it's hard to tell what.

Ritual completed, you still don't know where Cursebreaker is.

On your way out, you check the last room. It is an empty guard room.


Female Ratfolk (Aasamir) Swashbuckler (Wit) 6 | 30' (35' w/panache & 15' climb/swim) | HP: 74/78 | AC: 24 (26 with Parry) | Perc: +11 (E; Darkvision) | F: +12 R: +14 W: +11 | Exploration: Scout | Status: Anitdote (6/6 hrs) / plage (24 hrs), bleed 1d4, parrying | Hero Points: 1

”That’s it?! I’d be disappointed, except those dumb boggards were pushovers anyways.” She adjusts her hat. ”Hopefully the real fireworks have kicked off wherever Tamil is.”


M Kobold Druid 6 | HP (65/72) | AC 24 | F +12, R +12, W +14 | Perception +14 | Poison Resistance 2 | (HP 1/3)
T’gon’l:
HP 62/62 | AC 21 | F +13 R +13 W +12 | Perception +12 | jaws, +12 Damage 2d8+4 piercing

Zarke nods "I guess back to town so see what if anything has happened?"


CG Catfolk Rog6 | HP: 27/68 | AC: 23 | Fort: +10, Refl: +14, Will: +10 | Perception: +10 (low-light vision) | Speed 25 ft | Hero points 0

Someone in town may be familiar enough with Cursebreaker to be able to give us a lead, too, Yuturr muses.


Female Ratfolk (Aasamir) Swashbuckler (Wit) 6 | 30' (35' w/panache & 15' climb/swim) | HP: 74/78 | AC: 24 (26 with Parry) | Perc: +11 (E; Darkvision) | F: +12 R: +14 W: +11 | Exploration: Scout | Status: Anitdote (6/6 hrs) / plage (24 hrs), bleed 1d4, parrying | Hero Points: 1

"What!? I mean, the glowy lights did glowy-light stuff when we did the ritual. That means it worked. I bet Cursebreaker's up top right now, breaking Tomil's cursed face." She adjusts her silk hat and yawns. "Anyways. Another job well done. But that's just to be expected when Madouc's on the case."

Fuchsia sleeps well that night, dreaming of a boggard-free café where everything is on the house because she's the savior of Kibwe. In the morning she counts all the shiny gold pieces she earned and purchases an Armor Potency rune and a striking rune for her hammer.


Quest 8 || Extinction Curse || The Slithering

After resting, you meet with Abayone,and inform her that Cursebreaker was missing. She frowns, and tells you about her own research.

“The leader of the Aspis Consortium in Kibwe, an unsavory human named Tomil Jabrin, is dead. But oh, he was a busy man before he died. He recently left town with several Aspis agents for a long trip and returned nearly three weeks later by himself. He had a heavily laden wagon when he left, but he returned without it. Rumors say he ventured to the demon-haunted city known as Holy Xatramba in the jungles to the southeast. Evidence is that he took something large—perhaps a heavy statue—there."

She clears her throat. “And this is not the first time Tomil has been connected with that evil place. There have been persistent rumors for as long as he’s been in the city that he was raised in Xatramba among wicked cultists who revere the demon lord Angazhan. Tomil never formally disavowed these rumors or Angazhan’s worship, so perhaps he retained some connection with his homeland. Explorers tell of a complex called the Plaza of the Feasting Fiend on the north edge of Xatramba, where humans venerate Angazhan with horrid sacrifices and schemes to dominate those around them. It sounds like Tomil didn’t stray far from his upbringing."

“Tomil prepared for the release of this vile curse by stealing away and hiding the only thing that could break it. We need that statue back.”

You previously found a map in Tomil's office that might be relevant.


Female Ratfolk (Aasamir) Swashbuckler (Wit) 6 | 30' (35' w/panache & 15' climb/swim) | HP: 74/78 | AC: 24 (26 with Parry) | Perc: +11 (E; Darkvision) | F: +12 R: +14 W: +11 | Exploration: Scout | Status: Anitdote (6/6 hrs) / plage (24 hrs), bleed 1d4, parrying | Hero Points: 1

Fuchsia's whiskers droop. "I was hoping ol' Cursie was just sitting around, gathering dust somewhere else. As statues do. But that the magic of the ritual would still work."

"Well, we have that wagon and supplies in Tomil's warehouse, and a map. I have two questions, Abayone. First, are there lots of frog-people or bax-lisks out there in the jungle? I'm a city ratfolk, myself. Second, who does the old warehouse belong to now? I mean, we cleared it out, so finders keepers, right? That's the rule. And I always wanted my own base of operations. I could comfortably fit a few hunnred of my ysoki friends in there."

Maybe we stock up on some healing potions, antiplaque / antivenom on the way.


CG Catfolk Rog6 | HP: 27/68 | AC: 23 | Fort: +10, Refl: +14, Will: +10 | Perception: +10 (low-light vision) | Speed 25 ft | Hero points 0

Nothing's ever that simple, of course, Yuturr says, motioning to Asta to bring out the map. He then asks Abayone, Do you recognize the marked spots here? Any patterns or such?

Healing potions and anti- make a ton of sense, yes.


Quest 8 || Extinction Curse || The Slithering

"I suspect those are the places he planned to stop each night. Pulling a big wagon, that journey would take about 9 days. You could get there faster on horseback, but I don't think you'll be able to lug the big statue back without a sturdy wagon. If you'd like to use the wagon you found, that's fine, but I am also happy to supply you with a wagon, oxen, and provisions. I'm afraid I don't know what creatures you might face on the journey; I haven't made this trip myself. There is an ancient road that once connected Xatramba to the outpost of Kibwe, but it is in terrible disrepair. I do not know who the Khalibi Caravan House belongs to, but we can do some research."


Female Ratfolk (Aasamir) Swashbuckler (Wit) 6 | 30' (35' w/panache & 15' climb/swim) | HP: 74/78 | AC: 24 (26 with Parry) | Perc: +11 (E; Darkvision) | F: +12 R: +14 W: +11 | Exploration: Scout | Status: Anitdote (6/6 hrs) / plage (24 hrs), bleed 1d4, parrying | Hero Points: 1

Fuchsia looks disappointed at not owning a new ratfolk warren base… yet.

She perks up and twirls her new rune-engraved hammer. "And I can help fix the wagon if it breaks on the road! Just look at this hammer! It hits stuff extra good now. Like oozies. And I bet I can even drive in nails all the way with one swing!" She admires the hammer. "Our wagon won't even know what hit it."

We should consider a suberb repair kit too (25 GP) if no one has one. Would hate to improvise repair tools out in the jungle. I'll buy some explorer's clothing for the journey too.


Male shoony investigator 6 | hp 66/66 | AC 24, Fort +9, Ref +14, Will +12 | Speed 25ft | Percept +12, LLV, Scent (Imp.) 30 ft | Hero Points: 1/3 | Exploration Mode: | Battle Medicine Used: Zarke | Conditions: | ◆◇

"I'm confident we can keep the wagon in good repair without such drastic measures, friend Madouc."

Asta has a regular repair kit and is trained in crafting. If we have a little party cash left over and want to buy a superb kit I won't complain, but can probably make do with the regular one.


NG Male Leshy Witch 6 | HP 62/62 | AC 19 | Fort +12, Refl +9, Will +13 | Perc +11 | Speed 25 | Focus 1/1 | Hero Points 2/3 | Default Exploration: Search

Before...
Jack's only foray into the the realm of shopping is to buy a host of magical scrolls.

Purchases:
Scrolls of familiar's face, fly, gaseous form, humanoid form, neutralize poison, and wall of thorns

That evening he spends three hours writing a special scroll on strange paper that smells of either cinnamon or vanilla. Were anyone to take a sniff, they'd find it smells of whichever one they like least. Either way, once it's done he gives it to Nutmeg, who promptly eats it.
Learn a Spell (Neutralize Poison), DC 20 Nature: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18

Meg makes a face, then shakes her head. She says, "Vanilla, ick."

Now...
Jack frowns slightly, but doesn't fuss too much given how much coin he's gained without performing a single show. "Well Meg, looks like we're going on tour sooner than we thought. I'm guessing bringing that statue and putting it where we can perform that ritual again will be exactly the trick we need to do. Shall we?"


CG Catfolk Rog6 | HP: 27/68 | AC: 23 | Fort: +10, Refl: +14, Will: +10 | Perception: +10 (low-light vision) | Speed 25 ft | Hero points 0
Asta Odimmadu wrote:
Asta has a regular repair kit and is trained in crafting. If we have a little party cash left over and want to buy a superb kit I won't complain, but can probably make do with the regular one.

Presume that Yuturr bought one at Asta's suggestion. I haven't had a chance to look at purchases but do not expect to grab much, so he'll have ample coin left for it, and would hate the idea of a wagon breaking down on a journey.


Female Ratfolk (Aasamir) Swashbuckler (Wit) 6 | 30' (35' w/panache & 15' climb/swim) | HP: 74/78 | AC: 24 (26 with Parry) | Perc: +11 (E; Darkvision) | F: +12 R: +14 W: +11 | Exploration: Scout | Status: Anitdote (6/6 hrs) / plage (24 hrs), bleed 1d4, parrying | Hero Points: 1

Also buying:

Antiplague x3: 9 GP
Antidote x3: 9 GP
Claimed Mod healing


Quest 8 || Extinction Curse || The Slithering

Your first day of travel is uneventful, and you reach the first spot marked on Tomil's map. It does appear to be a campsite. The crumbled remains of the highway pass the ruins of a large stone building. Most of the building’s side wall is gone, and plain evidence of past campfires is scattered inside.

Perception:

Fuchsia: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13
Zarke: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (11) + 13 = 24
Jack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21
Asta: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20
Yuturr : 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17

The interior walls of the ruined building are covered with old graffiti in a variety of languages, left there by various travelers through the area. Some very recent graffiti is a few hastily scrawled words in Mwangi: “Run from the witch lights!”

What's your plan?


Female Ratfolk (Aasamir) Swashbuckler (Wit) 6 | 30' (35' w/panache & 15' climb/swim) | HP: 74/78 | AC: 24 (26 with Parry) | Perc: +11 (E; Darkvision) | F: +12 R: +14 W: +11 | Exploration: Scout | Status: Anitdote (6/6 hrs) / plage (24 hrs), bleed 1d4, parrying | Hero Points: 1

Does anyone know what witch lights are?

Let's cook dinner and set a watch. SLide updated. We don't want to sleep in armor but the one watching should be suited up.


CG Catfolk Rog6 | HP: 27/68 | AC: 23 | Fort: +10, Refl: +14, Will: +10 | Perception: +10 (low-light vision) | Speed 25 ft | Hero points 0

Nope, Yuturr says, but I can't say I like the sound of them.

Yuturr will take first watch.


Male shoony investigator 6 | hp 66/66 | AC 24, Fort +9, Ref +14, Will +12 | Speed 25ft | Percept +12, LLV, Scent (Imp.) 30 ft | Hero Points: 1/3 | Exploration Mode: | Battle Medicine Used: Zarke | Conditions: | ◆◇

Asta will take second watch.

501 to 550 of 710 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Kate's The Slithering (closed) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.