Tyrant's Grasp II: Eulogy for Roslar's Coffer

Game Master CrusaderWolf

Roll20 Game Link

Loot Doc


3,901 to 3,950 of 4,025 << first < prev | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | next > last >>

Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Garret tries to help Ketra with her religious research, then starts investigating if any of the planar books might help with this done of poisoned fog.

Religion to aid vs DC 10: 1d20 + 3 - 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 - 3 = 20
Linguistics to help with deciphering maybe some of the Necril: 1d20 + 4 - 3 ⇒ (10) + 4 - 3 = 11
Knowledge Planes research: 1d20 + 8 - 3 ⇒ (16) + 8 - 3 = 21


Male duskwalker druid (death druid) 7 | HP: 39/39| AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB: +7, CMD: 17 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +10 (+6 vs. neg nrg, death eff; +4 (class) vs energy drain; +2 (race) vs undead, sakhil) | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Speed 40 | +1 seeking longbow +9 (1d8+1/x3); mwk sickle +9 (1d6), ghost hunter 1/day | Spells: 4th 1/1; 3rd 3/3; 2nd 4/4 1st 4/5 |*Active: Ext. Mage Armor, Longstrider

Sanduro pages through the books, puzzling over the note in Necril and taking a cue from Ketra to focus first on the books that were already opened. He takes some time to try to find any additional clues that might help them out of their situation.

Linguistics (decipher Necril): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Knowledge (History): 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 5 + 2 = 10
Knowledge (Planes): 1d20 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 12 + 2 = 27
Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 10 + 2 = 25


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

Ketra tries to scan through the books one more time to see if she can glean anything else...

Religion: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

The note remains a mystery, but the pile of tomes slowly yields its secrets. In one folio Sanduro discovers an annotated map of a stronghold called Dawnfire Bastion--evidently centuries ago this temple was a small crusader citadel. The map includes an a stylized representation of a well, the annotation of which indicates that the water within is blessed with supernatural cleansing powers; even multiple attempts by the Tyrant's servants to poison the stronghold's well were wiped away by the well's magic within hours. More wondrous still, the blessed waters could be used to weaken necromantic magic and weapons of the Tyrant.

Garret in the meantime discovers a biography of a dwarven mage-smith, describing some of the basic ritual processes used by her order to destroy relics and minor artifacts captured from the Tyrant's armies. The rituals are careful to emphasize that these relics are quite dangerous even to experienced mages, and that the processes are quite finicky and require precise order and timing of each step to be successful.

As you pore over these books, the second cat emerges from the shadows of the shelves and stacks, joining its apparent sibling in watching you all--and Verun, of course.


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

Maybe my reading comprehension is failing me, but are these books indicating that the temple we're currently in was once the Dawnfire Bastion? Or is this a different place?

Ketra places the various tomes with the juiciest bits of info face up atop the pile, then looks from one to the other "Do you think that fountain downstairs might also be blessed with supernatural cleansing powers? I mean, there was that polong inside it, but now that that's gone, maybe it'll recover. We'll have to check later. If we can spray it into the air and ward off the fog that way, maybe we can get out after all."


Male duskwalker druid (death druid) 7 | HP: 39/39| AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB: +7, CMD: 17 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +10 (+6 vs. neg nrg, death eff; +4 (class) vs energy drain; +2 (race) vs undead, sakhil) | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Speed 40 | +1 seeking longbow +9 (1d8+1/x3); mwk sickle +9 (1d6), ghost hunter 1/day | Spells: 4th 1/1; 3rd 3/3; 2nd 4/4 1st 4/5 |*Active: Ext. Mage Armor, Longstrider

“That’s what it sounds like to me! I don’t know how we might use it, but it sounds like it has to be part of the solution.” He glares at the incomprehensible writing on the scrap of vellum Ketra found. “I wish we could read this, though. Those wights were up to something more than just waiting for us.”


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

You're correct Ketra--this location was once a castle, but that was centuries ago, and with the border pushed far from here the castle was eventually replaced with a less expensive temple here deep inside Vigil.


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

"Let's finishing clearing this level and then go see if the water has been purified," suggests Garret, putting a few of the more promising tomes in his Handy Haversack.


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

"Right. Who knows, it might take days to recover. But once it does, we'll have our best chance to get out. In the mean time, we make sure another horrible undead monster doesn't spring out at us while we're waiting." Ketra nods with forced confidence.

"We can come back later to keep reading, but I think we might've pushed our luck long enough already." She gets out her knives "Where to next? Maybe try the next door down the hall?"


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

Hearing no complaint from the others, Ketra leads the way back into the main hall and a short distance east to reach the next door in series. She pauses to listen and look for any hazards before opening it.

Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

Carefully listening at the door opposite the book pile, Ketra hears nothing and sees no traps--upon opening it, she beholds another empty hallway. The party carefully presses on to the next door, discovering what was clearing a dining space for the temple. Two slightly dusty round tables each with four simple chairs take up the bulk of the space, and the walls are lined with tapestries that had once depicted knights smiting a variety of wicked monsters. These tapestries are now rent and tattered, likely by the same claws that have left their marks in the wooden panels of the wall and the surface of the tables.

"The claw-marks are too small to be the bear," Jando observes from the doorway. "A cub, maybe? Seems unlikely though." The room is still and quiet--if there is a bear cub in here, it's keeping quiet and hidden. Another door opposite the room leads out of the dining room, and the two cats peer out of the door doorway, still watching you.


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Garret scans the room with detect magic, then prepares to move on with the rest of them unless there is anything interesting there...


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

Garret's sweep of the room turns up no magical auras, and after a quick search turns up neither treasure nor danger, the group moves on to the next door. This room turns out to be the kitchen, logically enough; wooden counters and cupboards ring this rectangular room, stocked with all the necessary utensils and implements. These are not in good shape, with dirty and battered wooden bowls piled haphazardly on a shelf and spots of rust marring the metal pots and implements.

Garret's arcane eye immediately picks out two auras of interest: a rounded bronze cauldron hanging on a hook by the far door (moderate Divination & Transmutation), and a moderate Conjuration aura of something hidden in a cupboard. Some cautious investigation reveals a large rucksack, larger on the inside than the outside, and filled with bland but perfectly serviceable rations.

The rucksack can be readily identified as a Bag of Holding II, contain 70 meals' worth of trail rations.

Spellcraft DC17:

Though made of bronze rather than wicker, you realize this is a Blackwick Cauldron


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

Apologies, no Roll20 right now while I'm on vacation, so I'll go off the description.

"There's an awful lot of clawed creatures out there. Skeletons and ghouls both have them." Ketra frowns at the damage to the room "Seems almost like there might've been a fight in here. A really wild one."

Does it seem like the claws are the right size for those ghouls? Or some other undead creature? Or does the scene call to mind some undead threat?

KN Religion vs. claw marks: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27

She nods as Garret identifies some useful magical items. "The previous occupants won't mind if we use these, I'm sure." She looks back over her shoulder to spy the cats "They *do* seem to have taken a liking to us. I wonder if they were fed here in the dining room befo-"

She cuts off abruptly, eyes widening. "Hold on a second." She lowers her voice "This doesn't match up. We know Norreth was in the Bastion when the wave passed through, and he turned into that horrible Bodak. And we know the wave twisted everything - plant, animal, and person. There's that bear and the farm animals back in Roslar's. And there's now the killing fog around the town and the Bastion too preventing anything from getting in and out. Which means-" She stares at the cats "-there's no way these are just cats. Not unless they were luckier than absolutely everything and everyone else we've come across. And I wouldn't put my gold on that one."


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Shrugging, Garret says, "Hopefully they are friendly." He pets one if it will let him as he considers the aura of the cauldron.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 14 - 3 ⇒ (5) + 14 - 3 = 16

(sigh)...


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

"I suspect very strongly they are not." Ketra grimaces "If we aren't immediately in trouble we should lock them somewhere where they can't follow us."


Male duskwalker druid (death druid) 7 | HP: 39/39| AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB: +7, CMD: 17 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +10 (+6 vs. neg nrg, death eff; +4 (class) vs energy drain; +2 (race) vs undead, sakhil) | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Speed 40 | +1 seeking longbow +9 (1d8+1/x3); mwk sickle +9 (1d6), ghost hunter 1/day | Spells: 4th 1/1; 3rd 3/3; 2nd 4/4 1st 4/5 |*Active: Ext. Mage Armor, Longstrider

Spellcraft vs cauldron, take 10: 10 + 9 = 19

“Oh, it’s a Blackwick Cauldron! They’re usually made of wicker, though. Not immediately useful, but it’s definitely not a bad thing to have. Let’s put it in that very useful bag.”

Ketra Driscoll wrote:
"I suspect very strongly they are not." Ketra grimaces "If we aren't immediately in trouble we should lock them somewhere where they can't follow us."

Sanduro takes another look at the kittens. “Is it possible that they’re normal cats, but they drank from the holy fountain and were protected from the wave by that? Although…” he rubs his temples like he’s starting to get a headache “… that doesn’t change the fact that these lynxes don’t belong in Vigil. Somebody might have brought them here, but I agree, those two oddities together - the cats being apparently unaffected by the wave that killed or warped everything, and being too far from home for easy explanation - are cause for concern.”

He turns to the warrior of Ragathiel. “Do you get the sense that they’re malicious, Silvia?”


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

"Normal cats surviving after drinking from the fountain?" Ketra ponders it for a moment "I suppose maybe? Seems like quite the stretch though." She looks to Silvia in hope she can sense something the rest of the team can't.


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

Oh right--paladin! My bad...

Grimacing with reluctant understanding, Silvia turns to stare at the cats, her eyes glowing golden with divine light. One of the kits bristles and hisses, backing out of the room. The other cat [/i]smirks[/i] at you, letting out a little mocking mrowl before sauntering away.

Silvia takes a deep breath, knuckles white on her rifle. "I hate this. They...I'm not sure what they are, but they aren't normal cats. Their souls are black in Ragathiel's sight, though it's faint. If their undead, or fiends, they're minor at most. Otherwise...well, anything else with an aura at all is strong enough to be dangerous to us." The paladin turns away, golden glow fading back to normal. "Of course it couldn't be something nice. Nothing left here is nice."


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

"Well, there we go." Ketra leans toward the others "Let them follow us back to the library and then lock the door on them? Or maybe we can even lock them in here?"

Actually, are the doors lockable? I assume we can at least close them behind us so the cats are temporarily stuck, and then lose them while they jump at the doorknobs.


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

The cats have stopped following you and are moving away at a walk. If you wait even a few seconds they'll be through the next room's door and out into the hall. You could follow them if you like


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

Did they start moving when we starting talking about our suspicions? Which is the "next room's door" in this case? I don't have Roll20 access until some time next week.

"Did they realize we're on to them?" Ketra peers after the cats.


Male duskwalker druid (death druid) 7 | HP: 39/39| AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB: +7, CMD: 17 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +10 (+6 vs. neg nrg, death eff; +4 (class) vs energy drain; +2 (race) vs undead, sakhil) | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Speed 40 | +1 seeking longbow +9 (1d8+1/x3); mwk sickle +9 (1d6), ghost hunter 1/day | Spells: 4th 1/1; 3rd 3/3; 2nd 4/4 1st 4/5 |*Active: Ext. Mage Armor, Longstrider

"Seems like they understand us, too." Nocking an arrow to his bowstring, Sanduro follows the cats to the doorway leading to the south hall and peers out to see if they're still visible and which direction they went.

Perception, take 10: 10 + 9 = 19


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Garret follows along out of curiosity, though he is troubled by the aura of evil detected on the cats. Still, not everything is what it seems, and they could be good or neutral creatures affected by some of the evil pervading this ruined temple.


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

Not even looking behind them, the cats leave the dining room and turn right into the hallway--back in the direction of the library.


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

"Huh..." Ketra hesitates, not sure whether to take this as a good or bad sign. "Let's go while they can't see us." She slips out into the hallway and heads towards the next room in sequence, looking out for any traps as she does.

Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (1) + 13 = 14


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

As soon as the cats are out of sight Ketra turns and slips through the door into the north hallway--and stops short, as the intersection comes into view. In the center of the hallways' intersection, previously concealed by the gloom when you were further away, is a thick pedestal draped in black silk, about four feet tall. Resting atop the pedestal is a large crystal or gemstone of a dark green color, pulsing slowly with a sickly light. As you peer closer, you notice a sort of smokey or foggy swirl inside the gemstone.

Garret feels a dull ache like the start of a migraine start as he observes the crystal, as in his sight it glows with powerful auras of necromancy and conjuration--it's no exaggeration to say that this is likely the most powerful single object the sorcerer has ever been in the the immediate presence of, barring only leather satchel at the center of the strange pulsing that destroyed his Roslar's Coffer.


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Stopping and holding his hand to his head, Garret says, ”That crystal is an artifact of massive necromantic power—it could very well be the anchor for the entire poisonous cloud miasma covering the town.”


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

"So..." Ketra grips and regrips her knives "How do we break it without making an even bigger mess of things this time? Can we even touch it? Will the fountain downstairs suppress it, like the books in the library were talking about?" She shivers "Feels like we're in over our heads all over again."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

”I doubt any spell I have will do the trick,” says Garret, ”But I could try to get closer and figure out more about it.”

Recasting Detect Magic, Garret carefully approaches and tries to read the auras of the crystal.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 14 - 3 ⇒ (20) + 14 - 3 = 31


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

Can't ask for much better than that!

"How does it look? Don't touch it..."


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

Assuming Sanduro uses Aid Another, that's just enough to get Garret quite a bit of info!

Settling in to study the strange crystal, which you all surmise must be the fetoring maw referenced by the cultists, Garret quickly solidifies his initial opinion about the object--it's a minor artifact without a doubt, and is indeed the source of the poisonous dome enclosing Roslar's Coffer. Interestingly, the thickness of the fog is proportional to the diameter of the dome--and the current dome is nearly at the upper limit of what can be created, about a mile in diameter. The crystal need not remain in the dome but cannot be carried more than ten miles from the dome's central point without the ritual magic being unraveled.

Alarmingly, the poison dome persists for as long as three months if its creator doesn't dismiss it first--but once dismissed the crystal must recharge for an equal amount of time before it can be used again. It also includes a bypass effect, applied to up to 13 creatures selected by the dome's creature at the time of activation, and this immunity lasts only as long as that specific dome.

Most crucially, Garret is even able to determine how the fetoring maw can be destroyed: immersion in holy water blessed by a deity of Healing for 1 hour, at which point it is temporarily vulnerable to a single powerful blow from a magical weapon of some sort.


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Sharing what he has learned, Garret says, ”Perhaps with the blessing of Sarenrae we may be able to shatter this evil artifact. Now, how do we get it to the fountain without touching it?”


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

The crystal does sit on a swatch of black silk draped over the top of the pedestal. Grabbing each corner could form a loose "sack" quite easily.


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

"Sure seems like our best bet from the way you make it sound Garret. The bigger question to me is - how do we know when the fountain is back to being all holy and not poisoned? Is it safe to just throw it in there and wait until the fountain has done its thing?" Ketra looks skeptical as she circles the gem from a distance. "There's one more thing we can do - if the area's 1 mile and centered on Roslar's Coffer, we're probably close to the edge. If we find a way to brave the fog like we were talking about downstairs, we can carry it out and away and it'll dissipate the fog on its own."


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

”Very possibly, but feel we would do the world a better service by destroying it,” responds Garret. ”I know there is a spell for the creation of Holy Water, but I cannot cast it…Can any of us?”


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

"Hmmm, maybe Silvia?" Ketra glances back at the paladin. "The question is more, would holy water alone do it? I would have thought the whole fancy fountain with its special history would give it some extra oomph."

"All that said, since it'll take time for the big gem to soak, we should probably check the rest of this floor and deal with any left-over problems before they come and check why the fog is fading." She looks at the others "Sound good?"


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

"Makes sense to me," Jando agrees with a glare at the crystal. "Damned thing's probably trapped anyway."

Silvia only nods, her gaze distant.


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

”Sure,” says Garret, ”And we can go by the fountain after to make sure it has recovered.”


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

If I understand the map correctly, there are more rooms to the northwest, southeast and northeast. Let me know if that's incorrect.

Ketra nods "Then straight ahead first. Unless you want to grab the gem and take it with us Garret?" Regardless, Ketra leads to the first room to the southeast and listens carefully for any occupants and inspects for any dangers before entering.

Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (8) + 13 = 21


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

”I’d rather not touch it until we are ready to destroy it,” says Garret, ”But I really don’t want it growing legs and walking off where we can’t find it.”

Garret goes over to the Fetoring Maw and uses the silk to pick it up and put it into his Haversack.


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

The fetoring maw is heavier than it looks, though not so heavy that Garret can't handle it. Strangely, when he tries to stow it away both the artifact and the haversack begin to vibrate and the latter grows warm; it seems the relic doesn't play well with interdimensional spaces.

Mechanically--the artifact doesn't hurt haversacks or bags of holding but while it's in them, the items are just regular sacks or backpacks and you can't access the extradimensional storage part while it's inside them. To avoid the question of if extradimensional storage violate the 10-mile rule ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Leaving the artifact for later, Ketra shifts over to the southeast door and listens carefully. Hearing nothing, she cracks to door and sees an armory of sorts, with a workbench covered in damaged tools and metal shavings, while a trio of arming stands rest against the wall holding rusting suits of armor. A quick sweep of the room turns up two oddities: Garret's magical detection pings a small ceramic pot that has some sort of viscous fluid in it when you shake it. The label, scratched directly into the lid, identifies it as a magical adhesive. More oddly, Ketra's investigation of the room reveals that one of the suits of armor isn't nearly as damaged as it appears--beneath the dust and rust-flakes that might once have been some sort of decorative elements, she finds a fully functional suit of adamantine breastplate!

Sovereign Glue


Male duskwalker druid (death druid) 7 | HP: 39/39| AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB: +7, CMD: 17 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +10 (+6 vs. neg nrg, death eff; +4 (class) vs energy drain; +2 (race) vs undead, sakhil) | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Speed 40 | +1 seeking longbow +9 (1d8+1/x3); mwk sickle +9 (1d6), ghost hunter 1/day | Spells: 4th 1/1; 3rd 3/3; 2nd 4/4 1st 4/5 |*Active: Ext. Mage Armor, Longstrider

Sanduro looks around, not expecting to see anything that Ketra hasn’t already spotted.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

“Nice finds! That glue could be useful. Should we try the east hallway next?”


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

"Adamantine?" Ketra whistles "Now that's fancy stuff. I remember one time a traveler came to the inn with a single buckle made of adamantine. Showed off how indestructible it was by having some other the other patrons try to smash it with a hammer..." She shakes her head "If only we still had Wallace with us. It's a bit too heavy for me."

She then spends a bit more time poking around in case some of the other rusting suits of armor turn out to be haunted or something worse. If nothing untoward happens, she nods to Sanduro "Seems like a plan."

She'll carefully search the eastern hallway and its door before trying it.

Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (11) + 13 = 24


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

Leaving the armory workshop behind, Ketra takes point on sweeping the hallway and door in the eastern stretch. Finding no traps or ambushing creatures, she shrugs and opens the door.

The large rectangular room revealed is dominated by a pair of large L-shaped tables heaped with atlases and scrolls. A handful of cloth maps have been hung on the walls, depicting all of Lastwall, southern Ustalav, and even southeastern Belzen. Another map laid out on the table shows the area around Roslar's Coffer in much closer detail, with the down itself marked by a painted red stone.

Of more immediate interest are the two women standing at the tables who both look up sharply when the door opens. The two are nearly identical with thick red hair, green eyes, and a smattering of freckles across their noses, while lightly pointed ears and pupiled eyes indicate half-elven heritage. Black robes with a tome at their belts completes the look; only a pair of spectacles on one of the women distinguishes between them--and they don't appear happy to see you.

"Ah," the sister with the spectacles makes a disgusted sound. "It's you."

"Dreadfully inconvenient bunch," the other agrees, far more chipper. "I don't know how you all survived the Radiant Fire, but you've already upset Lord Quietus quite a bit and--"

"Savenna," the first sister interrupts sharply. "Shut up, and kill them."


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

GM Rolls:

Silvia: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Ketra: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Garret: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Sanduro: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Jando: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Savenna: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Oradi: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12

Silvia Atk vs Blue: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24 Damage: 2d8 + 5 ⇒ (1, 3) + 5 = 9
Jando Atk vs Red: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Blue Ranged Touch: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Red Ranged Touch: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

With the two women proving unwilling to parley, Jando and Silvia throw themselves into the room, taking aim and firing before either sister can complete a spell. Jando's arrow goes wide but Silvia grazes her target just as the two half-elves finish their spells, sending out grey beams of light that Silvia and Jando narrowly avoid.

+ ROUND ONE +
Silvia
Jando
Savenna/Blue (-9hp)
Oradi/Red
Ketra
Sanduro
Garret


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

"Quietus again, huh?" Ketra also wastes no time. With a swift leap, she gets on top of the western table and then falls into a rehearsed glide forth, kicking papers off and out of her way as she goes. The maneuvers slow her down a bit and her subsequent feint against red is a touch slow. She stabs twice after her feint, hoping to occupy one spellcaster before more trouble arises.

Acrobatics if needed: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (5) + 16 = 21

Level 3 Routine: Marche > Pique > Dart > Sting

Pique (Bluff to Feint): 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (3) + 15 = 18 No penalty vs. non-humanoids, If successful, next Sting deals 3d8 bonus precision damage to target of Pique.
Dart +1 Dagger; w/ PA: 1d20 + 12 - 2 ⇒ (6) + 12 - 2 = 16 Damage (P): 1d4 + 9 + 3d8 ⇒ (1) + 9 + (2, 3, 1) = 16
Sting +1 Dagger; w/ PA: 1d20 + 12 - 7 ⇒ (8) + 12 - 7 = 13 Damage (P): 1d4 + 9 + 3d8 ⇒ (4) + 9 + (5, 2, 6) = 26

Sad rolls.


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Immediately deciding against fire given the precious paperwork in the room, Garret summons holy light to damage and hopefully blind the spellcasters!

Burst of Radiance: 5d4 + 5 ⇒ (2, 4, 1, 3, 2) + 5 = 17 damage if evil and Blinded if fail DC 19 Reflex save for: 1d4 ⇒ 4 rounds

(Yellow circle is the 10' radius burst)


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

GM Rolls:

Savenna Ref: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Oradi Ref: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Jando Atk: 1d20 + 12 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 12 - 2 = 29 Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Jando Atk: 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (5) + 7 - 2 = 10 Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Silvia Atk: 1d20 + 11 - 2 ⇒ (18) + 11 - 2 = 27 Damage: 2d8 + 5 ⇒ (6, 1) + 5 = 12
Silvia Atk: 1d20 + 11 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 11 - 2 = 28 Damage: 2d8 + 5 ⇒ (8, 3) + 5 = 16
Silvia Atk: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (1) + 6 - 2 = 5 Damage: 2d8 + 5 ⇒ (8, 1) + 5 = 14
Oradi Touch: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19 VT: 4d6 ⇒ (2, 6, 1, 2) = 11

Ketra darts forward, rolling onto the table to reach her target, but her strikes scrape against a glimmer of magical armor as the half-elf woman flinches back. Garret spins out a burst of holy that burns both women and leaves the chatty one--Savenna, apparently--clutching at her eyes with a pained cry.

Focusing their fire on the blinded sorceress, Jando and Silvia take their shots, though the former's hand is still shaky from the bodak's life-draining gaze. Still, bullets and arrows find their mark, leaving her badly wounded. Blinded and injured, Savenna intones a spell and vanishes from sight! Her sister, meanwhile, snarls at Ketra as her hand becomes wreathed in a sinister red glow. Slapping the dancer on the calf, Ketra feels some of her life-force yanked from her--simultaneously healing the burns suffered by the sorceress from Garret's spell! Then she steps back towards the door.

+ ROUND TWO +
Silvia
Jando
Savenna/Blue (-63hp; Blinded 1/4; Invisible)
Oradi/Red (-6hp)
Ketra (-11hp)
Sanduro
Garret


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Garret casts his own spell, enabling him to see invisible creatures (See Invisibility) and moves around as needed to see the blinded sorceress. He then calls out precise instructions as to the invisible foe’s whereabouts so she can be targeted by his allies.

1 to 50 of 4,025 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Tyrant's Grasp All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.