Tyrant's Grasp II: Eulogy for Roslar's Coffer

Game Master CrusaderWolf

Roll20 Game Link

Loot Doc


3,001 to 3,050 of 4,027 << first < prev | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | next > last >>

Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

Ketra looks over at Silvia and Sanduro, hoping they'll see a way to deal with these supposed fae.


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

”Sure, I’ll give it a shot,” says Garret, taking the goblin drum and giving it a few experimental thwacks.

Perform: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


LG Female Tiefling Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 1 / Paladin of Ragathiel (Divine Hunter) 6 | 53/53 HP | AC19 T14 FF15 | CMD21 | F +10 R +10 W +6 | Spd 30 | Init +4 | Perc +10 | Craft (Alchemy) +11, Diplomacy +9, Handle Animal +12, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (Religion) +11, Perception +10, Sense Motive +11 | Grit: 2/2 | Smite Evil 2/2 | Lay on Hands 4/5 | Divine Bond 1/1 | Stamina: 8/8 | Active Conditions: None

"There's something nasty here, all right," Silvia says, drawing her rifle. "Give me a second to find it."

Continuing to concentrate.


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

"I like the idea Sanduro, but we first have to get them to take a look outside. Maybe I can grab their attention... if you've got a good plan to take it from there." Ketra scrounges up torches from someone's pack, then lights them and assembles a small campfire just outside the inn. Afterward, she heads back in.

Not sure if there's any point to trying to break this obsessive spirit stuff before we deal with whatever malevolent thing Silvia spotted. Also, I can try to play the drums, but Garret has the better modifier. Looks like there's no consequence for failing at least.


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

Garret thumps his drum on the 1s and 3s, and the few ghosts who even notice just tsk and shake their translucent heads.

As Zsofia weaves through the celebrants and Ketra lurks at the edge of the circle around Darcy, Silvia's spiritual seeking sharpens--no mistake, there are two malevolent presences nearby, though both are faint. To her likely exasperation, Zsofia can't see or hear anything amiss.


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

After Silvia explains, Ketra puts one hand on her hip "Two somethings? Are they just invisible?" She tries to pay attention in the direction Silvia is pointing, furrowing her brow as she concentrates in the din of the ongoing ghostly celebration.

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

”Perhaps something more solemn,” says Garret, trying again.

Perform: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Focusing on the drumming, Garret starts a proper dirge. He starts a slow match out the door and towards the graveyard. ”Now’s our chance—Talk them into following me!” he says in a stage whisper.


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

Ketra points to herself "Me? Uh, I guess I can try."

She waves her arms above her head to try to grab the attention of the raucous crowd of ghosts "Everyone! It's time! Time to take this party out into the streets. And time to start the next part of the festivities. Out, in the direction of the graveyard."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

"Because... we've got the-" She trails off, quite sure no one is paying attention to her.


Female medium outsider (phantom) | HP:45/45 | AC 22 T 14 FF 18 DR 5/magic & slash | CMB: +9, CMD: 21 | F: +3, R: +8, W: +5 (+4 morale vs enchant) | Init: +3 | Perc: +6 (darkvision), SM: +0 | Speed 30 | slamx2 +10/+10 (2d6+2* ecto; 2d6+4* inco) | *Active: Ecto. Mani.; Grtr Magic Fang

Insubstantial as she is, Zsofia takes a deep breath and bellows:

“Hey, Roslar’s Coffers! Time to get moving to the cemetery for your town’s big damn festival or you’re gonna miss it! Follow the little guy with the drum and the exploding torches outside! It’s gonna be really special this year!”

Bluff: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 26


Male duskwalker druid (death druid) 7 | HP: 39/39| AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB: +7, CMD: 17 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +10 (+6 vs. neg nrg, death eff; +4 (class) vs energy drain; +2 (race) vs undead, sakhil) | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Speed 40 | +1 seeking longbow +9 (1d8+1/x3); mwk sickle +9 (1d6), ghost hunter 1/day | Spells: 4th 1/1; 3rd 3/3; 2nd 4/4 1st 4/5 |*Active: Ext. Mage Armor, Longstrider

Sanduro stands by the door and holds it open, hoping the raucous dead of Roslar's Coffer will take the hint, while scanning the crowded room for any sign of actual fey.


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

Boom, bum-bum Boom, bum-bum Boom, bum-bum Boom...
Garret's second attempt on the drum finds its stride, the slow rhythm punctuated but the torches, which flare up and spit dramatic clouds of sparks at each heavy beat of the drum. The ghosts' drinking song falters, a confused babble drowning at Ketra's attempt at a speech. Luckily, Zsofia's interjection steers the conversation back to the topic of the Remembrance Festival. Now reminded, the ghosts' chatter becomes less boisterous and overpowering--a handful begin to drift hesitantly towards the door.

Meanwhile, Silvia's searching finally bears fruit: two faint auras of wickedness, up near the ceiling. One is nestled into the metal and horn chandelier barely hanging on with its rusted chains, while the other rests atop one of the ceiling beams that is less badly warped. As the ghosts begin to calm, the aura in the chandelier stirs and an angry voice issues forth from above.

"Chan eil! Chan eil! Tha beagan soluis luachmhor anns a bhaile bhlath so, tha sinn a' toirmeasg dhuit falbh!"

Sylvan:

"No! No! There is little enough precious light in this blighted hole, we command you to stay!"

"Seadh, tha sinn ag àithneadh dhuit fuireach, agus na h-amadain bàsmhor so a dhìon! Bithidh an fhuil-san na dorus dhuinn a mach as an àite dhamnaidh so!"

Sylvan:

"Yes, we command that you stay, and secure these mortal fools! Their blood will be our door out of this damnable place!"

The voices are sourceless; while Silvia can see the auras, ceiling is devoid of creatures for anyone else peering upwards.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female medium outsider (phantom) | HP:45/45 | AC 22 T 14 FF 18 DR 5/magic & slash | CMB: +9, CMD: 21 | F: +3, R: +8, W: +5 (+4 morale vs enchant) | Init: +3 | Perc: +6 (darkvision), SM: +0 | Speed 30 | slamx2 +10/+10 (2d6+2* ecto; 2d6+4* inco) | *Active: Ecto. Mani.; Grtr Magic Fang

Zsofia gets back to barking orders at the confused souls in front of her.

“That’s right, people! You think old man Roslar would let a couple of outsiders keep him from honoring his dead? Not just outsiders but self-proclaimed nobles, fey or not? Hell, no! If have to choose between honoring the aristocracy or your hometown heroes, that’s no choice at all! So GET MOVING!”

I’m just gonna ignore how weird everything I just said was. Hope everyone else does, too.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Understanding the words spoken in Sylvan, Garret tries to follow the motivations for these perhaps planar creatures to need mortal blood to exit…

Planes: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Looking up, Garret sees no one, but he definitely heard the voices from up there. "Who or what said that?" he asks as he casts his gaze towards the ceiling as he pauses at the threshold of the exit door.


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

Ketra notices that Garret's got a bit of a sharp look in his face, and comes on over to where he's drumming. "Did you understand that? What are we dealing with?"


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

Garret:

The comments about light, and blood as a doorway tickles a memory in Garret's mind--there exist sinister and murderous fey known simply as Lurkers in Light. The name is apt, for these fey adore areas of bright light, and blend into it to such a degree that they cannot be seen by mortal eyes. It seems the collective glow of the several dozen ghosts currently inside the Sagely Goat generate enough light to be comfortable.

Lurkers' other signature ability is blood magic; they can sacrifice creatures and draw bloody sigils to transport themselves back to the First World--or to call in reinforcements from there.


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

”These invisible creatures speak Sylvan and desire to stay near the light of these unfortunate souls—and they desire mortal blood to use in their dark magic to transport themselves back to the First World. I presume they are Lurkers in Light, murderous fey who are drawn to sources of bright light, such as the ghosts here. I doubt they will let us lead our friends away without a fight,” replies Garret, ”Though if we make a sufficiently bright source of light they may be drawn away in that fashion.”


LG Female Tiefling Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 1 / Paladin of Ragathiel (Divine Hunter) 6 | 53/53 HP | AC19 T14 FF15 | CMD21 | F +10 R +10 W +6 | Spd 30 | Init +4 | Perc +10 | Craft (Alchemy) +11, Diplomacy +9, Handle Animal +12, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (Religion) +11, Perception +10, Sense Motive +11 | Grit: 2/2 | Smite Evil 2/2 | Lay on Hands 4/5 | Divine Bond 1/1 | Stamina: 8/8 | Active Conditions: None

"Leave this place!" Silvia commands the lurkers, aiming her rifle up at the ceiling. "We're not here for a fight, but these people have been tormented enough. They deserve rest."

Intimidate: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

"Bright? Does the light outside not cut it? Maybe it's the fog that's keeping them indoors. Maybe we could also find a lantern or make a bonfire out there to draw them out." Ketra ponders while Silvia offers a more aggressive style.


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

Silvia brandishes her rifle and puts steel in her voice, and the two auras seem to shrink back--or maybe she just imagines they do. There is a moment or two of silence, then the voice by the beam comes down more whinging than imperious. "Chan fhuirich sinn san àite uamhasach seo! Cuidichidh tu sinn!"

Sylvan:

"We will not stay in this awful place. You can be of use to us!"

The lurker by the chandelier chimes in with exaggerated patience, as though explaining a reasonable request to an unreasonable child. "Cha dèan gin dhiubh sin, a dh'aindeoin an deàrrsadh àlainn. Chan eil fuil aca, chì thu..."

Sylvan:

"None of these others will do, despite their lovely glow. They have no blood, you see..."

Despite their bravado, neither seems willing to try their luck against the group...for now. The ghosts begin to mill about. A few trying to start a new song, but now it competes with shouted questions about the faeries and the beginnings of horrified realization for a few others as they look around themselves. Darcy is wandering the inn with wide, frightened eyes; she kneels down to right a fallen chair, but as her hands pass through it again and again a choking sob wracks her.


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

”Time to go, everyone,” says Garret kindly but loudly to the populace. Moving out of the building, he starts leading what he hopes is the processional to the graveyard.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (12) + 15 = 27


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

With the two lurkers seemingly willing to lurk elsewhere for now, Ketra joins Garret in the attempt to lead the wayward spirits to their rest. She kneels next to Darcy and gives her a reassuring smile, or at least what she hopes is one "Darce, let's go. Da and Alisa already went on ahead, and well, they were wondering what had happened to you. I-" She closes her eyes "-I'm sorry."

Diplomacy (aid): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

Darcy's stricken gaze rises to meet Ketra's and she struggles to speak through her sobs. "B-but I h-h-had...sssoo mmuch I s-still wanted to d-ddooo!" She clutches futilely at her sister. "It's n-not, fair!"

Garrets calm, clear voice, steady confidence, and solemn drumbeat have calmed the crowd of departed spirits, who have formed a loose circle aroun the Driscoll sisters, listening with rapt, horrified intenstity.

Currently at 3 successful checks but need a few more; the DC for more Bluff/Diplomacy has gone up, but other skills might be useful if you can think of an angle!


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

So Ketra's once/day ghost hunter ability lets her make a weapon ghost touch. She's going to make her hands/arms ghost touch (because Ketra's unarmed strike is a weapon, right?) for a very unconventional use!

Torn up by Darcy's panic and pain, Ketra closes and scrunches her eyes, then reaches out for her sister. To her surprise, her fingertips touch something solid and her eyes snap open. Seeing that they've been gifted a moment of connection, Ketra throws her arms around Darcy and squeezes her in a tight hug. The moment, and the momentary magic, fades far too fast and she pulls back. "I know Darce. It's not fair. It's not fair that that psycho decided to come to Roslar's Coffer of all places. It's not fair that his explosion did something so cruel. It's not fair that I somehow got a way back, when you and Da and Alisa... didn't make it." Her gaze falls. "But it's what it is. I... don't have anything else for you."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male duskwalker druid (death druid) 7 | HP: 39/39| AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB: +7, CMD: 17 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +10 (+6 vs. neg nrg, death eff; +4 (class) vs energy drain; +2 (race) vs undead, sakhil) | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Speed 40 | +1 seeking longbow +9 (1d8+1/x3); mwk sickle +9 (1d6), ghost hunter 1/day | Spells: 4th 1/1; 3rd 3/3; 2nd 4/4 1st 4/5 |*Active: Ext. Mage Armor, Longstrider

Sanduro takes a breath and steps into the circle. With a sad nod, he adds, “All of the people of Roslar’s Coffer not standing in this room have moved forward on their paths. When we saw them and spoke with them, they were on their way to … to where they belong. They would be worried about all of you if they knew how you have been delayed, and by whom.” He glares at the ceiling where he imagines the lurkers to be. “But there is still time for you to catch up with your friends, your families. We will make you the same promises we made to Mayor Grive before we began our journey home: We will remember you, all of you, after you have gone. And we will do everything in our power to ensure that whatever happened to you, it will not happen to anyone else. Now please, come with us to the cemetery, let us help you complete your festival, so that you can rest.”

Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

Dacry clings tightly to Ketra, her shuddering breaths getting a little calmer and deeper each time. As the magic allowing that brief connection fades she sighs with regret, wiping at phantom tears and giving her sister a wistful smile. "Yeah, it's...it's not fair at all. But hiding here won't help, and if the Da and Ailsa and all the others have moved on...well, it's not fair to them either to try and hold on to might-have-beens."

Sanduro's words are met with murmurs of solemn agreement, the ghosts' feverish energy all dissipated. It seems even the lurkers up in the rafters don't dare to intervene as the ghosts file out of the Sagely Goat, following Garret and his drumbeat is a slow reverent procession. The march feels like years, and it feels like no time at all, but you arrive at the graveyard all the same, the folk of Roslar's Coffer forming a half-circle facing what's left of their town.

One at a time each spirit speaks, naming ancestors and loved ones who lived and died here...and then naming themselves, and fading from sight. Darcy lingers by her sister as the ghostly crowd slowly dwindles, until only she remains.

"I...I don't know what to say, for once," she says. "I wish we could've--well, I wish a lot of things. Thank you for coming back for me." She starts to reach for Ketra's hand before sighing and letting it drop. Her gaze grows firm as she meets all your eyes.

"Someone murdered us all, all but you. I don't know who did it, or why they did it, but you're our only hope for justice. May all the gods and goddesses of what's right watch over you. We won't forget what you did for us, and whenever you cross over just know that we'll be waiting for you." She turns back to Ketra. "Bye for now, you crazy dancer. I'll give Da and Ailsa your love." And then she, too, is gone.

The collective blessing of the people of Roslar's Coffer grants you all a single-use ability called Love is Thicker Than Blood: whenever you would fail a save, you may choose to reroll with a +2 sacred bonus, though the new result must be taken even if it is worse.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Keeping the solemn drumbeat going as a somber background to the ceremony, Garret works up quite a sweat, though oddly the salty fluid seems to collect mostly just below his eyes.

Allowing the moment to soak in, Garret eventually takes a deep breath and asks, ”Okay, what is next? Do we go and release the two gardeners?”


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

Ketra watches the crowd of spirits, most of them folks she's known her whole life, slowly winking out as they move on to the Boneyard. A deep pit churns in her stomach. It wasn't fair. Not one bit. And they'd never be back. She takes a deep breath and tries to smile at her sister.

"We'll find the murderer. Don't worry, I promise." Ketra balls her fists, voice edged with stubbornness. "Whatever it takes." She whispers the last as her sister fades away.

She watches the spot the townsfolk were for a full minute, suddenly struck by the thought that she shouldn't have let them go. That she should have talked more with them. To at least have more good memories before they left. It's too late now though. She turns to Garret. "I guess so. We can work on the square for the rest of the day. What's left at least."


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

The graveyard mostly restored, and the Sagely Goat no longer aglow with phantom revelry makes the ruined town feel even emptier than before. You reach the ruined square without difficult, Sten and Renner still bickering in the way old couples do.

"Welp, you're back," Rennet announces when he spots you. "Things any less of a mess roundabouts?"


LG Female Tiefling Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 1 / Paladin of Ragathiel (Divine Hunter) 6 | 53/53 HP | AC19 T14 FF15 | CMD21 | F +10 R +10 W +6 | Spd 30 | Init +4 | Perc +10 | Craft (Alchemy) +11, Diplomacy +9, Handle Animal +12, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (Religion) +11, Perception +10, Sense Motive +11 | Grit: 2/2 | Smite Evil 2/2 | Lay on Hands 4/5 | Divine Bond 1/1 | Stamina: 8/8 | Active Conditions: None

Silvia steps up next to Ketra and, hesitantly, reaches out to squeeze the other woman's shoulder. "Whatever it takes," she repeats.


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Walking up to Rennet, Garret asks, ”Indeed. We are making progress, and it is time for us to help clean up here…but we need some supervision from capable gardeners…Know anyone who is available?”

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (17) + 15 = 32


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

Ketra smiles her thanks to Silvia, then turns to the two elderly men "A little less of a mess. There was trouble at the graveyard, and at the Sagely. But we managed. I think we're going to give the square a bit of a tidying. You just let us know how you'd like it."


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

You set to work, the toil wearying and bittersweet as the two old men hem and haw about the best way to fill in the planter pots, or trim back the overgrowth. They bicker about the bricks being replaced just so and reminisce about their years together, and old projects completed. The hours pass, and the shadows grow long.

"Wellll..." Rennet rests his chin on his knuckes as he surveys your handiwork in the fading light. "It's not so good as if I'd done it m'self, but--"

"It's lovely," Sten finishes for him, resting his hand on his husband's shoulder. "And we've tarried long enough."

"You're always in such a hurry," Rennet grouses, without heat. They both turn to face you. "You did us a kindness here, friends. Thanks for helping two old fellows put things back aright, at least some. It...it's nice to know that we've left behind something beautiful. We oughta be going now, but here, thank these..."

The two ghosts take each other by the hand and as they light fades, so do they. A small metallic ringing and a glint of light shines off a pair of matched rings, now lying on the replaced cobblestones.


Male duskwalker druid (death druid) 7 | HP: 39/39| AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB: +7, CMD: 17 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +10 (+6 vs. neg nrg, death eff; +4 (class) vs energy drain; +2 (race) vs undead, sakhil) | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Speed 40 | +1 seeking longbow +9 (1d8+1/x3); mwk sickle +9 (1d6), ghost hunter 1/day | Spells: 4th 1/1; 3rd 3/3; 2nd 4/4 1st 4/5 |*Active: Ext. Mage Armor, Longstrider

Sanduro watches the spirits of the townsfolk fade away one by one, giving them each a respectful nod and a sad smile as they go, until only Darcy is left. The Driscolls had been friendly and welcoming when he and Zsofia first arrived in town, looking for clues about her death.

I should say something. He starts forward, then catches a glimpse of the pain on Ketra's face and turns away to give the sisters a last private moment instead. No, I really shouldn't.

Once Darcy's spirit has crossed over, he stands with his friends in a sad little circle. Even Zsofia looks upset and confused, the insubstantial image of her face a little blurred from bearing an expression she showed so rarely in life.

Finally, Garret suggests cleaning up the town square to release the last two spirits lingering from the explosion. "Yes, a little weeding might be comforting right now."


Female medium outsider (phantom) | HP:45/45 | AC 22 T 14 FF 18 DR 5/magic & slash | CMB: +9, CMD: 21 | F: +3, R: +8, W: +5 (+4 morale vs enchant) | Init: +3 | Perc: +6 (darkvision), SM: +0 | Speed 30 | slamx2 +10/+10 (2d6+2* ecto; 2d6+4* inco) | *Active: Ecto. Mani.; Grtr Magic Fang

Zsofia rolls her eyes, her blurred, misty face sharpening into its usual mocking smirk. The phantom gives Ketra a sidelong can-you-believe-this-guy glance, but sees the other duskwalker isn't in the mood, so she just snorts and struts ahead of the party towards the old well.

On arriving in the square, she feigns enthusiasm for the task. "Yes, let's dig in the dirt and move heavy things on our day off!" She bends over and grabs one of the roots of the giant vine out to yank it out of the earth, forgetting she is still incorporeal. Her hands pass right through the dead plant and she stares at them a moment in confusion before straightening up to glare at Sanduro.


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Picking up the rings, Garret says, ”Twas well done but grim work today. Shall we head back to the blind and prepare to rest? Perhaps we can identify these rings once we get there.”

He does use detect magic and make a quick Spellcraft check on each ring as they walk…

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (19) + 13 = 32

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (7) + 13 = 20


2 people marked this as a favorite.
LG Female Tiefling Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 1 / Paladin of Ragathiel (Divine Hunter) 6 | 53/53 HP | AC19 T14 FF15 | CMD21 | F +10 R +10 W +6 | Spd 30 | Init +4 | Perc +10 | Craft (Alchemy) +11, Diplomacy +9, Handle Animal +12, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (Religion) +11, Perception +10, Sense Motive +11 | Grit: 2/2 | Smite Evil 2/2 | Lay on Hands 4/5 | Divine Bond 1/1 | Stamina: 8/8 | Active Conditions: None

Silvia sits down to rest on the edge of the fountain, physically and emotionally exhausted. She looks around the square, her face screwing up into a grimace.

"I don't—" her starts, but her voice cracks. She swallows and takes a breath before resuming. "I don't think it really hit me, until just now. We've been running and fighting and hiding ever since the Festival. But this town has been through so much. And it was just getting back on its feet. And then these bastards blew it all to hell. They stole the futures of everyone we cared about, and we still don't even know why."

She shakes her head and stares at the ground.

"They're going to get what's coming to them. I'm just...I'm just tired of being so angry all the time."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

Ketra takes a seat in the square as the two gardeners fade away. She wipes a mixture of sweat and dirt off her brow. Or tries to at least. Mostly, she just makes it more of a mess. She shrugs to Silvia "Maybe it's not for any important reason. I mean, why would anyone come to Roslar's Coffer of all places? We're just... well we were a small town. Not a place anyone powerful enough to make something..." She waves vaguely at the surroundings. "Like this happen, would have a grudge toward. Or-" She lies back down on the cracked pavers "Maybe that was the point. No one would even know if Roslar's Coffer got destroyed."

When Garret suggests going back to the blind, she groans and gets to her feet. "Sounds like a plan."


LG Female Tiefling Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 1 / Paladin of Ragathiel (Divine Hunter) 6 | 53/53 HP | AC19 T14 FF15 | CMD21 | F +10 R +10 W +6 | Spd 30 | Init +4 | Perc +10 | Craft (Alchemy) +11, Diplomacy +9, Handle Animal +12, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (Religion) +11, Perception +10, Sense Motive +11 | Grit: 2/2 | Smite Evil 2/2 | Lay on Hands 4/5 | Divine Bond 1/1 | Stamina: 8/8 | Active Conditions: None

Silvia just shakes her head and gets to her feet. "You're probably right."


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Male duskwalker druid (death druid) 7 | HP: 39/39| AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB: +7, CMD: 17 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +10 (+6 vs. neg nrg, death eff; +4 (class) vs energy drain; +2 (race) vs undead, sakhil) | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Speed 40 | +1 seeking longbow +9 (1d8+1/x3); mwk sickle +9 (1d6), ghost hunter 1/day | Spells: 4th 1/1; 3rd 3/3; 2nd 4/4 1st 4/5 |*Active: Ext. Mage Armor, Longstrider

“This town wasn’t my home, but I lived and worked here long enough to care about its people.” Sanduro hunches his shoulders, his body’s attempted to close in on itself. “Whoever did this didn’t just kill almost everyone who lived here. They trapped the spirits from all those people in the tavern, created that horror we fought in the graveyard, even transformed the plants and animals that were left into misshapen monstrosities. We may not know who was behind all this yet but we will, and their fate is sealed. I’m sure of it.”

“In the meantime, we know of one group who benefitted from the murder of your town: Mister Quietus and his gang, those thugs with the ugly neck tattoos are the only people we know of who get walk through the poison dome. Sneaking around the ruins to pick off whatever people left behind - they’re worse than graverobbers.” Clearly, this is the worst thing the young Pharasmin can say about anyone. “Maybe they know who set off that explosion, or something that would point us in the right direction. But even if they don’t, they need to be stopped.”

All the while he’s talking, Sanduro looks at his friends and around the ruined square in every direction except the direction of the citadel.


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

”We worked hard today, and the light is nearly gone. Still, I have most of my spells available if we want to take on another task this evening,” offers Garret, though he is clearly tired from all the manual labor.


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

Ketra grimaces at Garret "Easy for you to say when you were moving bricks with mage hand. I for one would be happy to rest. And I want to check on Mirhet too. She's really capable, but being injured like she was can put a damper on anyone."


LG Female Tiefling Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 1 / Paladin of Ragathiel (Divine Hunter) 6 | 53/53 HP | AC19 T14 FF15 | CMD21 | F +10 R +10 W +6 | Spd 30 | Init +4 | Perc +10 | Craft (Alchemy) +11, Diplomacy +9, Handle Animal +12, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (Religion) +11, Perception +10, Sense Motive +11 | Grit: 2/2 | Smite Evil 2/2 | Lay on Hands 4/5 | Divine Bond 1/1 | Stamina: 8/8 | Active Conditions: None

"Right," Silvia says, her drive seemingly returning to her, "let's get going. We still have dinner to make, after all."


Male duskwalker druid (death druid) 7 | HP: 39/39| AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB: +7, CMD: 17 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +10 (+6 vs. neg nrg, death eff; +4 (class) vs energy drain; +2 (race) vs undead, sakhil) | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Speed 40 | +1 seeking longbow +9 (1d8+1/x3); mwk sickle +9 (1d6), ghost hunter 1/day | Spells: 4th 1/1; 3rd 3/3; 2nd 4/4 1st 4/5 |*Active: Ext. Mage Armor, Longstrider

Relieved, Sanduro pats a last handful of dirt into place into place and stands up. "Right, let's go. I think it's going to take a lot more than one more night of rest to get past what we've seen today, and the last couple of days. But it's a start."


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

"Fair enough," agrees Garret, heading back to the blind for the night.


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

You leave the mostly-repaired courtyard behind, picking your way northwards again into the tree cover. Mirhet lets the ladder down, looking tired but less in pain. She listens with her usual quiet intensity as you describe the events of the day.

"A good work done well," she nods when your story finishes--high praise indeed from Mirhet, Ketra knows. "Was there any sign of Jonnar?"


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

Ketra rolls her shoulders tiredly. "You look in better shape than we do. If you're feeling up to it, we can look for Jonnar tomorrow. I didn't see him out in the town today, but to be fair we didn't go over to where his place should still be." She raises an eyebrow at Mirhet a little cheekily "Or, you want to go tonight?"


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

Mirhet frowns in consideration, then shakes her head. "Not tonight, I think. With Sanduro's help I may be fully mobile again in the morning, and I might accompany you without being a burden." That decided, you all make yourselves as comfortable as you're able; sleep comes easily after a many hours of manual labor.

Ketra:

You are slowly pulled from your rest by a gentle shaking--Mirhet, quietly informing you that your watch shift has come. She doesn't immediately return to sleep herself though, instead watching you with that piercing stare you've come to know so well.

"How do you fare, little dancer? What happened here...it would have broken most people. "

Silvia:

You feel something swat your face, scratching your cheek and jolting you awake. Moggie sits next to you, tail lashing angrily.

"I swear I don't know why I'm bothering," the cat hisses furiously. "You didn't even try to find the tree! You're not exactly in a position to be turning away help, Lady Holier-than-Thou!"


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

Rubbing sleep from her eyes Ketra groans up at Mirhet. Being awakened at uncomfortable times by the Shoanti woman is nothing new for Ketra, but it hadn't gotten any easier. After a long series of stretches she answers Mirhet's question. "Before we got back to Roslar's Coffer, we had to struggle our way out of the Boneyard. After that experience, after seeing everyone over there already dead. After seeing how downright absurd the hereafter actually is...? I guess somehow that helps."

She sighs and looks up at the moon, thinking on the leering face of Groetus that had been omnipresent not that long ago. "I was still holding out a little hope. That at least Darce had made it out somehow. But it didn't happen. I guess that's how things go sometimes. At least I know that she's going to join Da and Alisa. And the rest of the town." She shrugs slowly, then continues stretching "All we can do now is try to make sure it doesn't happen again."

3,001 to 3,050 of 4,027 << first < prev | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Tyrant's Grasp All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.