Tyrant's Grasp II: Eulogy for Roslar's Coffer

Game Master CrusaderWolf

Roll20 Game Link

Loot Doc


2,701 to 2,750 of 3,989 << first < prev | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | next > last >>

Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24

With a wistful smile, Garret opens up the Handy Haversack and looks inside. He says, ”Let’s go and rest in the root cellar while I look through the cache my parents left.”

When they are settled, he goes about looking at the items using Detect Magic, though he soon settles down and starts reading the diary.

Spellcraft Metal Sphere 1: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21
Spellcraft Metal Sphere 2: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31
Spellcraft Metal Sphere 3: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29

Spellcraft Vial 1: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31
Spellcraft Vial 2: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18
Spellcraft Vial 3: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29

Spellcraft Feather: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

Item Identification:

The three metal spheres are actually components of a necklace of fireballs, though now detached from their titular necklace. Each sphere can be thrown like a bomb to detonate in a bloom of fire. (70ft range, 20ft radius just like the fireball spell; 3d6dmg (Ref14 half))

The potions turn out to be two Cure Moderate Wounds and one of Protection from Acid 10.

The cloak all of this was bundled in is a Cloak of Resistance +2

The armor is a +1 chain shirt

The feather is perhaps the strangest of all--after studying it for a time, Garret realizes that it is infused with magic that responds to him, specifically. When held by any of the others it's glow and warmth fades almost entirely. It's aura seems almost like a scroll, despite its unusual form.
The feather is mechanically an arcane scroll of Cure Serious Wounds at CL15. However, if Garret uses the feather it can instead mimic Restoration or Breath of Life also at CL15. Any of these uses consumes the feather.

Though bereft of magic and somewhat the worse for wear, the diary is a treasure all its own. While many pages are torn or encrusted with some long-dried black goop, enough of it is legible to muddle through the recorded thoughts of Inara Yados, a logistics officer serving with a so-called Redemption Company along the Worldwound trench lines. While far from complete, there's a great deal of information Garret can start to glean about his biological parents--though he already knows how their story ends.

The party begins to settle in to the cellar, their many unanswered questions still dancing in their minds.

Are you keeping a watch up top, and if so what's the order?


Male duskwalker druid (death druid) 6 | HP: 39/39| AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB: +7, CMD: 17 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +10 (+6 vs. neg nrg, death eff; +4 (class) vs energy drain; +2 (race) vs undead, sakhil) | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Speed 30 | +1 seeking longbow +9 (1d8+1/x3); mwk sickle +9 (1d6), ghost hunter 1/day | Spells: 4th 1/1; 3rd 2/3; 2nd 1/4 1st 5/5 |*Active: Ext. Mage Armor

Sanduro suggests someone else keep a lookout for an hour while he patches up Zsofia with the healer's satchel, after which he will send her up in her incorporeal form to take the watch (as long as she stays within 50' of him) until Sanduro sleeps. Sanduro volunteers to take the first watch before going to sleep.

Is anyone else injured? Sanduro is down 4, but that will heal overnight. Didn’t Silvia get trampled near the end?

Treat Deadly Wounds (Heal, DC 20): 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (7) + 14 = 21
Zsofia gains +7 hp, bringing her to 17/30. We'll see what resources Silvia has left at the end of the day, otherwise Sanduro will have to finish healing her tomorrow.

Treating Ketra's Deadly Wounds, if needed after CSW from prayer bead:
Treat Deadly Wounds (Heal, DC 20): 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (2) + 14 = 16
Ugh. He'll try again if needed.


Male duskwalker druid (death druid) 6 | HP: 39/39| AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB: +7, CMD: 17 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +10 (+6 vs. neg nrg, death eff; +4 (class) vs energy drain; +2 (race) vs undead, sakhil) | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Speed 30 | +1 seeking longbow +9 (1d8+1/x3); mwk sickle +9 (1d6), ghost hunter 1/day | Spells: 4th 1/1; 3rd 2/3; 2nd 1/4 1st 5/5 |*Active: Ext. Mage Armor

Treat Silvia's Deadly Wounds (Heal, take 10): 10 + 14 = 24
Silvia regains +7 hp

Knowledge (Planes) vs. feather: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Garret shows and shares what he has found, describing the items as he identifies them, though he quickly becomes engrossed in the diary.

(Sounds like the feather and diary should go to Garret, then all else up for grabs. I think he will want to keep the haversack, too, as his strength is a 5…)


LG Female Tiefling Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 1 / Paladin of Ragathiel (Divine Hunter) 6 | 53/53 HP | AC19 T14 FF15 | CMD21 | F +10 R +10 W +6 | Spd 30 | Init +4 | Perc +10 | Craft (Alchemy) +11, Diplomacy +9, Handle Animal +12, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (Religion) +11, Perception +10, Sense Motive +11 | Grit: 2/2 | Smite Evil 2/2 | Lay on Hands 4/5 | Divine Bond 1/1 | Stamina: 8/8 | Active Conditions: None

Shouldn't it be 8hp, rather than 7?

Cure Serious Wounds for Ketra: 3d8 + 5 ⇒ (2, 2, 6) + 5 = 15

Silvia channels a bit of the healing energy stored in her prayer beads to treat Ketra's wounds, then busies herself cleaning her rifle as Sanduro treats her own injuries.


LG Female Tiefling Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 1 / Paladin of Ragathiel (Divine Hunter) 6 | 53/53 HP | AC19 T14 FF15 | CMD21 | F +10 R +10 W +6 | Spd 30 | Init +4 | Perc +10 | Craft (Alchemy) +11, Diplomacy +9, Handle Animal +12, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (Religion) +11, Perception +10, Sense Motive +11 | Grit: 2/2 | Smite Evil 2/2 | Lay on Hands 4/5 | Divine Bond 1/1 | Stamina: 8/8 | Active Conditions: None

Channel as per chat: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 5) = 10


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

After the generous healing from Silvia and the attempted patching up from Sanduro, Ketra looks about as healthy as she could be. In fact, while Garret is inspecting the items, she's pacing back and forth, full of energy. "None of this makes any sense. Whatever happened here killed all the townsfolk and created all this ruin, but all these animals just stuck around and were changed by it. The plants too? Why didn't they die as well?" She shakes her head "If only that archer we saw had stuck around to explain themselves, rather than running for it." She crosses her arms, agitated "It's not safe here, obviously, but I don't want to leave until we work out what happened... and well- I'm not going to feel settled at all until I see the inn with my own eyes."

She glances at the rest of the group and notices that folks are settling in to rest "Oh, we're done for the day? Right... you were saying that. I'll take first watch and you can rest Sanduro. We're pretty well hidden here, but I'll wake everyone if anything or anyone is coming."

(Would love to take a potion of cure moderate and a fireball bead from the stash. +1 chain shirt is nice, but Ketra's mithril breastplate is better now that she can wear it without penalty. Ketra's also already got a +1 cloak, so someone else should grab the +2 one)


LG Female Tiefling Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 1 / Paladin of Ragathiel (Divine Hunter) 6 | 53/53 HP | AC19 T14 FF15 | CMD21 | F +10 R +10 W +6 | Spd 30 | Init +4 | Perc +10 | Craft (Alchemy) +11, Diplomacy +9, Handle Animal +12, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (Religion) +11, Perception +10, Sense Motive +11 | Grit: 2/2 | Smite Evil 2/2 | Lay on Hands 4/5 | Divine Bond 1/1 | Stamina: 8/8 | Active Conditions: None

"I want answers too, but I also doubt that we can leave," Silvia says, gesturing back toward the livery and the host of dead animals they saw there, seemingly killed by the fog. "Not right now, anyway. We'll learn more tomorrow, hopefully. I'll take second watch."


Male duskwalker druid (death druid) 6 | HP: 39/39| AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB: +7, CMD: 17 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +10 (+6 vs. neg nrg, death eff; +4 (class) vs energy drain; +2 (race) vs undead, sakhil) | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Speed 30 | +1 seeking longbow +9 (1d8+1/x3); mwk sickle +9 (1d6), ghost hunter 1/day | Spells: 4th 1/1; 3rd 2/3; 2nd 1/4 1st 5/5 |*Active: Ext. Mage Armor

Shifting over to make room for Garret, Sanduro lays out the items the group has yet to identify and casts detect magic to check their auras, then read magic to review the unknown spell or formula books.

Spellcraft vs unknown ioun stone: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

Family Drama Assassin for the ioun stone

Lawn Gnomes Attack! for two "wrapped booklets, containing indecipherable writings and diagrams in a neat hand--likely alchemical or magical formulae."


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Now that they are safe, Garret spends some time with Detect Magic and sifts through their unclaimed items for magical auras.

Spellcraft on Ioun Stone: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13

Oh look, what a pretty rock...


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

The cellar is cramped and far from luxurious, but it's still a welcome respite from the relentless back-to-back crises you've found yourselves thrown into of late. Sanduro and Garret occupy themselves by identifying the various items your group has acquired on your journey, and after some discussion they are allocated to this or that member.

Up above, each turn at watch sees the day grow darker as night falls as the twitching, irregular movements of mutated plants keep you on edge. Just as full dark sets in, a gurgling howl rolls out from the woods, but nothing approaches your hidden camp. You rise before the dawn and begin your preparations.

What next?


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

Ketra watches the muted sunset with, despite the dangerous situation the group is in, a certain amount of relief. After the Dead Roads, seeing the simple cycles of dusk and dawn just seems... right. The death-dealing fog and mutant beasts are obviously a problem, but somewhere beyond the town the sun was continuing to rise and set.

The following morning, she gets up early and prepares herself for the day to follow by diligently running through steady leaps, agile twirls and careful steps. By the time she's done, she's antsy to get going. "The archer didn't come to visit us in the night, which suggests we're on our own for now. Maybe we'll see him again today. In the mean time, can we go to the center of town and visit the inn... or whatever is left of it? I was to see my home for myself."


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Getting up relatively early himself, Garret roams through his childhood home—what’s left of it—looking for keepsakes and other items that may be of use. He prepares breakfast with what foodstuffs he can muster and responds to Ketra, ”Yes, let’s explore the town and see what evidence we can find to explain the strange mutant beasts and deadly fog.”


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

You emerge from the cellar one by one, the predawn light hazy as it filters through the dome of fog. Setting out into the dead town, you pick your way through the overgrown streets towards the Sagely Goat. From the Fallows residence your path runs right through the town square; thick roots and flowering vines have pushed up through the cobblestones, and the stalls and carts that had been arrayed for the Festival of Remembrance are now twisted nearly beyond recognition, new mutated plant life erupting from their shells. The well at the center of the square is even more choked with flowering, thorny vines and even a pitcher plant as tall as a grown human. The air is thick with the sickly sweet smells of loam, decay, and flowers.

As you survey the devastation, the soft sound of weeping draws your attention--there, on the other side of the square, two elderly men sit--Sten and Rennet Gudrun, longtime fixtures of Roslar's Coffer who grumbled about everything but shared a deep love of gardening. Rennet weeps into his hands, shoulders shaking with his quiet sobs while Sten has his arm around his husband's shoulders, whispering something to him. They don't seem to notice your approach.

I've moved the blue circle on the town map to indicate your new location.


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Walking up towards the pair, Garret exclaims respectfully, ”Mister Sten, Mister Rennet, you survived! Are you okay? What is happening with all these plants?”

As he approaches, some corner of his mind is wary and he looks for any vines or tendrils that might be connecting the two men to a controlling plant…

Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


Male duskwalker druid (death druid) 6 | HP: 39/39| AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB: +7, CMD: 17 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +10 (+6 vs. neg nrg, death eff; +4 (class) vs energy drain; +2 (race) vs undead, sakhil) | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Speed 30 | +1 seeking longbow +9 (1d8+1/x3); mwk sickle +9 (1d6), ghost hunter 1/day | Spells: 4th 1/1; 3rd 2/3; 2nd 1/4 1st 5/5 |*Active: Ext. Mage Armor

Sanduro wakes up automatically before the sunrise and prepares his spells for the day,* then has Zsofia take her ectoplasmic form. He casts longstrider on himself and greater magic fang on the phantom, using the lesser extend metamagic rod so that the spells will last through a full day of exploring the ruins of the town.

To the extent we can tell through the dome of fog, what's the weather like?**

Skipping forward:

The overgrown ruins are, if anything, even more disturbing in the light of early morning. Sanduro looks around the square, a disgusted snarl on his face. "This just keeps getting worse," he mutters. He draws his bow and unconsciously nocks an arrow as he scans the area, trying to spot any potential threats hiding in the riotous tangle of plants -- or coming from the vegetation itself.

When he notices the two men and sees Garret walking towards them, he follows, intending to offer healing or assistance.

Knowledge (nature) vs plants: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

*Spells are updated in the statblock on Sanduro's profile page; they are the same as yesterday, except for swapping out one cure light wounds for feather step due to all of the overgrowth, and speak with dead for call lightning given the lack of corpses.

**@GMCW: Given the impact of weather on call lightning, I will probably ask about it annoyingly often when I have the spell prepared. If cast "outdoors and in a stormy area - a rain shower, clouds and wind, hot and cloudy conditions, or even a tornado (including a whirlwind formed by a djinni or an air elemental of at least Large size)," the damage per strike increases from 3d6 to 3d10.


Female medium outsider (phantom) | HP:45/45 | AC 22 T 14 FF 18 DR 5/magic & slash | CMB: +9, CMD: 21 | F: +3, R: +8, W: +5 (+4 morale vs enchant) | Init: +3 | Perc: +6 (darkvision), SM: +0 | Speed 30 | slamx2 +10/+10 (2d6+2* ecto; 2d6+4* inco) | *Active: Ecto. Mani.; Grtr Magic Fang

Zsofia sticks close to Sanduro for the moment. "Keep your eyes open for more of those walking stink-plants, boyo. They made me want to hurl my ghostly guts."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

Today's Forecast:

Temperature: Moderate
High: 74°F (23°C)
Low: 63°F (17°C)
Wind Force: Light
Wind Speed: 2 mph (3 kph)

Larger post incoming later today, first I've gotta run my Reign of Winter game! :)


Male duskwalker druid (death druid) 6 | HP: 39/39| AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB: +7, CMD: 17 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +10 (+6 vs. neg nrg, death eff; +4 (class) vs energy drain; +2 (race) vs undead, sakhil) | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Speed 30 | +1 seeking longbow +9 (1d8+1/x3); mwk sickle +9 (1d6), ghost hunter 1/day | Spells: 4th 1/1; 3rd 2/3; 2nd 1/4 1st 5/5 |*Active: Ext. Mage Armor
GM CrusaderWolf wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

Larger post incoming later today, first I've gotta run my Reign of Winter game! :)

Thanks. I checked the link - that generator is a nice tool. The general description in the first line is helpful, too (today’s result: Clear, darn the luck).


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

If Rennet notices you at all he gives no sign, but Sten looks up at your approach with tired eyes. "Ah, young Garret and--Sandro, was it?. Good to see you, despite the circumstances," he manages weakly, but his halfhearted smile fades at the halfling's question. "Don't rightly know what happened, lad. There was a flash of light brighter'n the sun, and when we came to the courtyard was...this. Just a mess, seemingly sprouted overnight."

"Ruined!" Rennet chokes out, his hands clenching into fists as he presses the knuckles into his eyes. "We spent years caring for this square, th-thousands of hours of work and th-this is what we get?!" He interrupts Sten's efforts to comfort him with a furious snarl. "NO! IT AIN'T GONNA BE ALRIGHT! Look at it, Sten! My body ain't up to the work it would take to make it right, and neither is yours! The whole damn thing's ruined and there ain't a damned thing we can we do about it!"

Garret/Sanduro:

While the whole courtyard is a mess, the area around the well is particularly churned up, cobblestones jutting like snaggled teeth--or maybe tombstones.

The area marked by the lime green aura is Difficult Terrain


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male duskwalker druid (death druid) 6 | HP: 39/39| AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB: +7, CMD: 17 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +10 (+6 vs. neg nrg, death eff; +4 (class) vs energy drain; +2 (race) vs undead, sakhil) | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Speed 30 | +1 seeking longbow +9 (1d8+1/x3); mwk sickle +9 (1d6), ghost hunter 1/day | Spells: 4th 1/1; 3rd 2/3; 2nd 1/4 1st 5/5 |*Active: Ext. Mage Armor

Sanduro looks out at the disturbing overgrowth emanating from the well, then back over his shoulder at Ketra. Pulling the lesser extend metamagic rod from his belt, he casts extended feather step (duration: 100 minutes) on the other duskwalker before turning back to Rennet and Sten.

"That is ... definitely on the list of things that are wrong today, yes. How long ago was the blast? Or how long has it been since you came to? And have you seen anyone else since then?"


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

"Sten and Rennet? You guys..." Ketra takes a hesitant step toward the two. She hadn't been close to either, but seeing *any* other survivors at all buoyed her heart. Truly a miracle. And upon thinking that, Ketra stops in her tracks.

'Survivors right in the open, amid that flash that reduced the whole town to this shape, and with everyone dying in the process? How could they have survived at all?'

She thinks back to the copy of Roslar's Coffer in the Boneyard, trying to recall if she saw either of their faces amid the crowds of newly deceased souls. As she racks her brain, she walks over to back Sanduro up.


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

"Let us all back away from the affected area--including both of you, Rennet and Sten--and see what manner of hazard this might be," says Garret.

Assuming everyone does so, Garret uses a special scroll (of spell knowledge) and summons Giant Rats: 1d3 ⇒ 2, directing them to wander into the overgrown area towards the pitcher plant.


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

GM Rolls:

Silvia: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Ketra: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Garret: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Sanduro: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Plant Monster: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

That's clever, Garret!

Rennet just shakes his head, but Sten frowns and considers Sanduro's questions. "Can't rightly say how long--not sure how long it was before we came too, time's been hard to gauge, sleep's been fitful. If I had to guess: More than a week, less than two. And I've seen folk moving about, cloaked and furtive-like, but they've kept their distance, thank the gods!"

Meanwhile Garret summons a pair of celestial rats, directing them towards the well. They comply, clambering quickly over the broken ground--but within just a few feet both burst in a shower of sparks as barbed vines erupt from the ground! A low moaning sound emits from the pitcher plant and the earth around it begins to roll and writhe as the ambulatory plant--nearly as large as one of those mutated cows you killed--pulls itself free of the stonework ringing the well!

Nature DC17:

This is no mere pitcher plant, but a Crypt Flower--a carnivorous but mindless plant that hunts or scavenges as the need arises, dissolving the flesh of its prey in the acidic fluids that fill its pitcher-body.

1 question for IDing, then another for every 5 points you beat the DC by!

-ROUND ONE-
Silvia
Garret
Sanduro
Zsofia

Plant Monster


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

”It’s a crypt flower! Watch out for its acidic bile!” announces Garret as he evokes a flaming ball right on top of it!

1 Question: Special Defenses

Flaming Aphere Damage, DC 19 Reflex to Negate: 3d6 + 3 ⇒ (6, 6, 4) + 3 = 19


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

@CW: Any word on whether Ketra saw these two locals in the Boneyard? It might be a good way to double check they aren't some kind of plant-mutant zombies.

Otherwise holding action until we hear about special defenses.


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

Thank you for the reminder!

Garret knows that crypt flowers are mindless, driven by instinct alone rather than any sort of intellect or planning. They have all the expected qualities of a monstrous plant, but are also modestly resistance to acid.

Ketra thinks on it, and while she wasn't looking for anyone in particular aside from her family and leaders like Mayor Grive, she doesn't recall seeing Sten nor Rennet amongst the crown of petitioners in the Boneyard.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

”It is a mindless plant resistant to acid,” Garret calls out, just now remembering something hopefully useful to the rest of the party.


Male duskwalker druid (death druid) 6 | HP: 39/39| AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB: +7, CMD: 17 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +10 (+6 vs. neg nrg, death eff; +4 (class) vs energy drain; +2 (race) vs undead, sakhil) | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Speed 30 | +1 seeking longbow +9 (1d8+1/x3); mwk sickle +9 (1d6), ghost hunter 1/day | Spells: 4th 1/1; 3rd 2/3; 2nd 1/4 1st 5/5 |*Active: Ext. Mage Armor

Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

"I'll have to take your word for it - Grandmother Túnde never mentioned crypt plants when she taught me herbal lore! Zsofia, back Ketra up, please."

Sanduro casts extended barkskin on the phantom and slides the metamagic rod into his belt, then steps out of Ketra's way, towards Sten and Rennet.

"Um, gentlemen? You should probably move a little further away from the carnivorous plant that walks."


Female medium outsider (phantom) | HP:45/45 | AC 22 T 14 FF 18 DR 5/magic & slash | CMB: +9, CMD: 21 | F: +3, R: +8, W: +5 (+4 morale vs enchant) | Init: +3 | Perc: +6 (darkvision), SM: +0 | Speed 30 | slamx2 +10/+10 (2d6+2* ecto; 2d6+4* inco) | *Active: Ecto. Mani.; Grtr Magic Fang

Zsofia flexes as the outer layer of her ectoplasm toughens, then twists her head from side to side. "Nope, still can't crack my neck. OK, K, the kid said to back you up, so you lead, I'll follow. But he also gave you the zippy magic, so you'll get there first. Try to save me a frond or something, will ya?"

Zsofia delays until immediately after Ketra (BTW, Ketra isn't on the initiative tracker).


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

Relieved when she doesn't recall seeing Sten or Rennet's faces back in the Boneyard, Ketra focuses her full attention on the giant plant. She's a little slow to act thanks to being distracted, but she draws a dagger from its sheath and sends it flying at the weird creature. "Better to let it come to us than feed ourselves to that pitcher, I think."

Thrown Dagger; 2 range incs: 1d20 + 9 - 4 ⇒ (1) + 9 - 4 = 6 Damage (P): 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

"Well, it might also have some magic that deflects daggers, so I guess striking up close is our best bet after all."


LG Female Tiefling Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 1 / Paladin of Ragathiel (Divine Hunter) 6 | 53/53 HP | AC19 T14 FF15 | CMD21 | F +10 R +10 W +6 | Spd 30 | Init +4 | Perc +10 | Craft (Alchemy) +11, Diplomacy +9, Handle Animal +12, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (Religion) +11, Perception +10, Sense Motive +11 | Grit: 2/2 | Smite Evil 2/2 | Lay on Hands 4/5 | Divine Bond 1/1 | Stamina: 8/8 | Active Conditions: None

"Do as he says," Silvia tells the two men as she raises her rifle to her shoulder. "We'll have this sorted out right quick."

Rifle, DA: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
B+P: 2d8 + 5 ⇒ (7, 8) + 5 = 20


Female medium outsider (phantom) | HP:45/45 | AC 22 T 14 FF 18 DR 5/magic & slash | CMB: +9, CMD: 21 | F: +3, R: +8, W: +5 (+4 morale vs enchant) | Init: +3 | Perc: +6 (darkvision), SM: +0 | Speed 30 | slamx2 +10/+10 (2d6+2* ecto; 2d6+4* inco) | *Active: Ecto. Mani.; Grtr Magic Fang

Zsofia starts to step into the the overgrown area around the well, but hesitates when Ketra throws her dagger. "So... I guess I'll back you up from back here? Not my idea of fun, but I bet Mean and Green there brings the fight to us pretty quick." The phantom raises her fists and throws a few shadow punches, but manages to refrain from running right into combat by herself.

Yup - holding again, to go right after the plant. The effect will be that she skips her turn, but she'd have to double-move just to throw a punch. I'm going to assume the plant will get closer, so she'll be able to move and attack rather than double move and be a sitting duck.


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

GM Rolls:

CF Ref: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
Ranged Touch: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
Ketra Fort: 1d20 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 + 4 = 16 Dex Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 2
Sanduro Fort: 1d20 + 7 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 7 + 4 = 31
Zsofia Fort: 1d20 + 3 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 3 + 4 = 11 Dex Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 1

While the attacks from Silvia and Ketra rebound from the woody outer "shell" of the pitcher plant, Garret's roiling ball of fire scorches it badly and it recoils from the fire. The churning, twisting earth increases in intensity as the crypt flower lurches towards the party, new cobblestones tearing free in a wave as it approaches. Sanduro, Zsofia, and Ketra all wobble as the ground roils under them but keep their footing. Strangely, Sten and Rennet don't appear affected at all--at least physically, as their startled stances don't shift with the ground moving beneath them.

"Gods damn you, quit tearing up our square!" Rennet roars at the carnivorous plant with as much fury as a tired old man can muster. Sten curls his fingers in his air, expression dismayed. Neither seems aware of the danger they're in.

For its part, the crypt flower's pitcher 'torso' flexes and emits a small stream of smelly fluid, arcing through the air to splash the ground at Ketra's feet--a clean miss. Nevertheless, what little of the fluid does splash onto exposed skin (or ectoplasm)

The 20ft radius around the flower is difficult terrain; amusingly the plant is not immune to its own difficult terrain.

-ROUND TWO-
Silvia
Ketra (-2Dex dmg)
Garret
Sanduro
Zsofia (-1Dex dmg)

Crypt Flower (-19hp)


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Garret slams the flaming sphere into the pitcher plant, then eyes the two men suspiciously as they do not seem to react properly to the physical assault. He casts Detect Magic and looks at them, trying to determine if they are illusory or there is some other magical effect that might explain their lack of reaction.

Flaming Sphere Damage, DC 19 Reflex to Negate: 3d6 + 3 ⇒ (3, 4, 2) + 3 = 12

Spellcraft with Detect Magic on the dudes: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18

He then takes another small step back (5 foot step).


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

Dex damage on a miss? RIP Ketra...

Ketra chokes on the vapors rising from the toxic liquid. "It's not fast. What if we just keep our distance while Garret's flaming sphere takes care of it?" She looks to the two old men "Come on, get out of here before it splashes you too!"

Seem like a plan?


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

It's a strange ability, it's a poison splash weapon. A miss (or being in the splash area for Zsofia/Sanduro) grants a +4 on the save but doesn't cause no effect. Luckily it can't do it often.


LG Female Tiefling Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 1 / Paladin of Ragathiel (Divine Hunter) 6 | 53/53 HP | AC19 T14 FF15 | CMD21 | F +10 R +10 W +6 | Spd 30 | Init +4 | Perc +10 | Craft (Alchemy) +11, Diplomacy +9, Handle Animal +12, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (Religion) +11, Perception +10, Sense Motive +11 | Grit: 2/2 | Smite Evil 2/2 | Lay on Hands 4/5 | Divine Bond 1/1 | Stamina: 8/8 | Active Conditions: None

"Grab them if you have to!" Silvia shouts back, walking shots up the plant until she hits something important.

Rifle, DA, Rapid Shot: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
B+P: 2d8 + 5 ⇒ (8, 4) + 5 = 17

Rifle, DA, Rapid Shot: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
B+P: 2d8 + 5 ⇒ (6, 4) + 5 = 15


Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

Ketra rushes for the two old men and starts pulling and pushing them in hopes of getting them to leave before the plant decides they're next. Not sure how much she might be able to move them.

"Lets go, lets go!"


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

GM Rolls:

CF Ref: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

As the floating ball of fire surges towards the crypt flower it recoils, keeping its vines and flowers clear of the flames--but Silvia takes advantage of its distraction to put a shot into its center of mass.

Ketra rushes towards Sten and Rennet to pull them clear of the danger--but the dancer stumbles when her hand passes right through Sten's arm without resistance, a thin trail of silvery mist the only reaction. Sten himself flinches when he sees this happen. "Th-that's...damned peculiar..." he stammers, staring wide-eyed at his arm, and then Ketra as if checking whether she saw it too. Rennet's face is turning first red, then purple as he continues shouting increasingly complicated insults at the plant and stomping his feet; Ketra notices that the 'stomps' are soundless, like a shadow play.

-ROUND TWO-
Silvia
Ketra (-2Dex dmg)
Garret
Sanduro
Zsofia (-1Dex dmg)

Crypt Flower (-34hp)


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Garret spent his action last turn detecting magic and looking at the to ‘illusions’. Did he learn anything?


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

Sorry Garret! Didn't mean to forget that part; neither Sten nor Rennet pinged as magical.


Male duskwalker druid (death druid) 6 | HP: 39/39| AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB: +7, CMD: 17 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +10 (+6 vs. neg nrg, death eff; +4 (class) vs energy drain; +2 (race) vs undead, sakhil) | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Speed 30 | +1 seeking longbow +9 (1d8+1/x3); mwk sickle +9 (1d6), ghost hunter 1/day | Spells: 4th 1/1; 3rd 2/3; 2nd 1/4 1st 5/5 |*Active: Ext. Mage Armor

Working off my iPad, so I can't see the map at this point. Ketra, don't forget you have feather step active for 100 minutes.

Sanduro fires an arrow at the plant (moving into position to avoid cover or away from the plant to avoid attacks of opportuity first, if necessary), before noticing that Rennert and Sten are becoming increasingly insubstantial as Rennert, in particular, becomes decreasingly rational.

+1 darkwood composite longbow: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 211d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

Knowledge (religion/planes) vs what's up with Rennert & Sten?: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
(If Planes, please add +2 to the above)


Female medium outsider (phantom) | HP:45/45 | AC 22 T 14 FF 18 DR 5/magic & slash | CMB: +9, CMD: 21 | F: +3, R: +8, W: +5 (+4 morale vs enchant) | Init: +3 | Perc: +6 (darkvision), SM: +0 | Speed 30 | slamx2 +10/+10 (2d6+2* ecto; 2d6+4* inco) | *Active: Ecto. Mani.; Grtr Magic Fang

Zsofia calls out to Sanduro, "Hey, boyo! Eyes front! Don't worry about those guys, just get ready to pull me out if Mean and Green grabs me!"

The phantom makes her way into the overgrowth choking the ruins of the town square, hoping to get close enough to land a punch on the crypt plant.

Magic Slam!: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 91d8 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Art | Female Duskwalker Dancer 7 | AC: 26 T: 17 FF: 23 | CMD: 24 | HP: 61/64 | F+5 R+9 W+7 (+2 vs. stagger)(+2 vs. NEng,Death,Undead)(Evasion)| Init +3 | Perc +13 | Routine 2nd: 3/6 3rd: 1/3 | Active Status:: (bark)

"...Ah." Ketra's voice is hollow as she passes her hand a second time through the two ghosts. "I guess, it was too good to be true, after all." She turns toward the plant.


Clocks tool TG Roll20 link

GM Rolls:

Ketra Fort: 1d20 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 + 4 = 22
Zsofia Fort: 1d20 + 3 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 3 + 4 = 25
CF AoO: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (11) + 13 = 24 Damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Bite vs Z: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 18 Damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Vine #1 vs Sanduro: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15 Damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Confirm vs Sanduro: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (20) + 13 = 33 Critcal: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Vine #2 vs Sanduro: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (10) + 13 = 23 Damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
CF Grab: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (20) + 19 = 39

As Zsofa stumbles across the broken ground, the crypt flower clubs here with one massive thorny vine 11dmg, but the phantom closes all the same. Sanduro plants an arrow in the fleshy part of the pitcher bell, but is rewarded for his trouble by a brutal slap from the barbed vines, leaving the druid bruised and bloody. 25dmg from a crit, ouch! The vine quickly snakes around the duskwalker's torso and legs, gripping him tightly and beginning to drag the druid closer! It then opens its pitcher-maw and attempts to snap up Zsofia as well, but the phantom narrowly evades its toothy thorns!

Zsofia and Silvia have both made their saves vs the poison splash, so everyone's fine on that score now.

-ROUND THREE-
Silvia
Ketra (-2Dex dmg)
Garret
Sanduro (-25hp; Grappled)
Zsofia (-1Dex dmg; -11hp)

Crypt Flower (-40hp)


Female medium outsider (phantom) | HP:45/45 | AC 22 T 14 FF 18 DR 5/magic & slash | CMB: +9, CMD: 21 | F: +3, R: +8, W: +5 (+4 morale vs enchant) | Init: +3 | Perc: +6 (darkvision), SM: +0 | Speed 30 | slamx2 +10/+10 (2d6+2* ecto; 2d6+4* inco) | *Active: Ecto. Mani.; Grtr Magic Fang

"Kid!" Zsofia turns at the sound of the plant's vines slapping at Sanduro, then whips back to face the body of the plant. "You better drop him or I'll probably disappear right in the middle of this fight and then you won't have any tasty ectoplasm to snack on!"

She throws a jab at the crypt plant's middle to distract it from whatever Sanduro is going to try.

Aid Another, DC 10 (+2 to Sanduro's attack): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male duskwalker druid (death druid) 6 | HP: 39/39| AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB: +7, CMD: 17 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +10 (+6 vs. neg nrg, death eff; +4 (class) vs energy drain; +2 (race) vs undead, sakhil) | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Speed 30 | +1 seeking longbow +9 (1d8+1/x3); mwk sickle +9 (1d6), ghost hunter 1/day | Spells: 4th 1/1; 3rd 2/3; 2nd 1/4 1st 5/5 |*Active: Ext. Mage Armor

Oh, that's why Ketra was in such a hurry. Now I get it.

Sanduro coughs, then moans a one of his broken ribs jabs him harder. I'm not sure, but I think that's one of my lungs.

The druid drops his bow and gently places a hand on his chest, over what he is increasingly sure is a punctured lung. He quickly calls on what little inherent healing power he has.

The Word (Lay on Hands (Su), swift action): 1d6 ⇒ 2

Feeling a bit stronger - if only a bit - he croaks out in a hoarse whisper, "Time to cut the grass, don't you think, gang?"

Sanduro draws his sickle and slashes at the vines that are crushing him.

Masterwork sickle, grappled, aided: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 3 + 2 = 91d6 ⇒ 2

Oh look, I made a joke during a fight. That was fun. Hope I'm still around to do that again later.


Garret Fallows | Peri-Blooded Halfling Sorcerer (Solar Bloodline) 7 | Speed 30 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Hp: 29/44 (29) | AC 19 (Touch 14, FF 17) | CMD 11 | Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +6 | Resist Acid/Cold/Electricity 5, Fire 10 | Active Conditions: Level-Drained (3), Mage Armor

Garret keeps up the pressure with the flaming sphere, rolling it onto the back side of the plant. Taking another step further away, he sends a trio of magic missiles at it as well.

Flaming Sphere DC 19 Reflex to avoid: 3d6 + 3 ⇒ (2, 1, 4) + 3 = 10
Magic Missile: 3d4 + 3 ⇒ (2, 1, 1) + 3 = 7

2,701 to 2,750 of 3,989 << first < prev | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Tyrant's Grasp All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.