GM Kulkos Racing to Ruin (Serpents Skull 2) (Inactive)

Game Master Kulko

Campaign Page
Map
Treasure Sheet

Orders:

Watch
Shalissa, Davor, Gregor, Kerndrew
Single File Marching
Gregor, Kerndrew, Shalissa, Davor
Double File Marching
Gregor & Kerndrew, Shalissa, Davor
Map


2,801 to 2,850 of 3,250 << first < prev | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | next > last >>

HP 11/11 | AC 15 TAC 12 FF 13 | CMD 14 | Fort +3 Ref +1 Will +2 | Senses +4 |
Skills:
Acrobatics +5, Climb +5, Craft (ships) +3, Perception +4, Profession (fisherman) +4, Profession (sailor) +8, Survival +4, Swim +5
Female N Human Expert 1/Warrior 1

Kyra looks bothered up into the sky "Hei big ugly bird, out of he'a'r! The little lady is getting scared, and I do not like ya' either eating my lunch" the pirate aims up and shots her bow at the lowest flying vulture.
Composite longbow: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Piercing damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

"That is only a warning shot, a'ut of he'a'r!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Half Orc Rogue 4/Witch 1 | HP: 37/37 | Init: +10, Att:+6 PBS, CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | AC: 17/19, FF: 14, Touch: 15 | Fort:+7, Ref:+9, Will:+5/+6 against Compulsion | Acrobatics:+12, Climb:+9, Disable:+13, Escape:+8, Know-Arcana/Dungeon/Local:+6, Nature+7, Geography:+9, Perception:+12, Sense Motive:+9, Stealth:+11, Survival:+6, Swim:+8 | Darkvision:60' | Sneak Attack 2d6 | +1 Dagger d4+1, 3 Daggers d4, 2 Darts d4, Shortbow 20 Arrows, MW Hanbo d6 | Conditions: Endure Elements, 6 points Con damage

Davor jerks his head toward Shalissa when she calls out. True he had spoken about the city when they had kept the knowledge quiet to this point. "If we're wanting him to trust us we need to be trusting him as well. We're not in a city where my words will be heard by too close words and the competitors setting up more obstacles! It's obvious from what we faced that there are other groups trying to find it ahead of us, probably from the factions that the others on the island returned to. We have better information but not the only information!"

"Anybody got a way to scare these birds off? Maybe a flashy spell or something to make a really loud noise?"

With the big birds circling and getting closer Davor mutters the words to a protective spell and pulls his dagger, watching.

Spell Fail 5% Casting Mage Armor: 1d100 ⇒ 8


Male Human | Init: +6 | AC: 14 / FF AC: 12 / Touch AC: 12 | Fort: +4 / Ref: +4 / Will: +5 | Speed: 30' | Perception +5 | True Neutral | Wizard/5

Neethan looks up at the larger birds, trying to estimate how far away they are. He doesn’t think he has anything that can reach them at this distance and is not willing to just shoot away a longshot.

Assuming the birds are at least some 200-300 feet away, or they would be very close for such large creatures. Close enough to really acquire attention!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Shiv Battle Map | Campaign Page

The birds continue circling you, watching for somebody to fall behind. But when they realize that you were able to find a watering hole and Kyra continues to fire warning shots at them whenever they approach, The Vultures tunr away after a few hours looking for easier prey.

You continue your way for another few days with the rolling plain providing no serious obstacles. In the far distance you see the vegtation growing a lot greener again and Nkechi seems to be certain that you are seeing the forests on the bank of the main river through Kalabuto already. You are sure it won't be longer than a a few more hourse before you reach the city.

full of expectation you crest the next hill, when a harrowing Sight opens up before you.

A tall and leafless boab tree stands alone, its wood burnt black. A circle of tiny bones surrounds the tree. Over a dozen human bodies hang from the branches, making grisly silhouettes against the blue sky. More bodies lie on the ground at the base of the tree, frayed ropes still around their necks. A circle of tiny bones surrounds the tree.


Male Human | Init: +6 | AC: 14 / FF AC: 12 / Touch AC: 12 | Fort: +4 / Ref: +4 / Will: +5 | Speed: 30' | Perception +5 | True Neutral | Wizard/5

It’s a grisly sight to take in. Despite not being up to date with the current situation, Neethan is aware of the historical unrest this area has. His colonial heritage has taught him about how the Chelaxians came to Kalabuto and “took over” the city. Numerous fights have occurred in the past with the neighboring tribes. He wonders if this is a result of such an ongoing rebellion or something else sinister.
Looking around, he tries to spot scavengers again, like the ones they’d seen before. An area full of dead bodies should attract all kinds of animals looking for an easy meal.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13


HP 33 AC 16 TAC 12 FF 14 | CMD 13 | Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +9 (+2 vs glyphs, symbols and scrolls) | Init +3 | Darkvision 60' +10
Skills:
Diplomacy+9,Heal+9,K. arcana +11 K. planes/religion +12, K. dung/eng/geo/local/nature/nobility +10, K. history +15, Linguistics +6/+8, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft+12/+14, Swim+2, UMD+3
Mysterious Mordant Spire elven female 5 | Character Sheet | Party Treasure | -

Lured by the promise of a soft bed in Kalabuto, Shalissa presses on with the rest of the expedition head when they do stumble with the burnt boab and the bodies around.

The elves eyes start to fill with tears as she witnesses the massacre "W-what kind of beast can do this to other humans..." and she has to make an effort to actually try identify if the dead ones are colonists or natives.
K. nobility/geography/local: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13

From the scolds and the wounds, she also tries to determine how long ago this has happened.
Heal (C.S.I. Mwangi): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16


Male Human | Init: +6 | AC: 14 / FF AC: 12 / Touch AC: 12 | Fort: +4 / Ref: +4 / Will: +5 | Speed: 30' | Perception +5 | True Neutral | Wizard/5

The tree should be filled by crows and vultures, even some hyenas on the ground. If Neethan cannot spot this, he will cry out to Shalissa to be careful to get close as that would be unnatural. Foul play might be at hand.


Shiv Battle Map | Campaign Page

Approaching Neethan notices the curious absence of all scavengers from this place and shouts a warning to Shalissa. I assume Shalissa stops about 50 ft away from the tree. If you still want to step closer please tell me.

Looking at the remains of the people hanging there you think these are people of chelaxian origin.

If you want to ask Kerndrew:

This place has an aura of evil.


Male Human | Init: +6 | AC: 14 / FF AC: 12 / Touch AC: 12 | Fort: +4 / Ref: +4 / Will: +5 | Speed: 30' | Perception +5 | True Neutral | Wizard/5

The scene with the dead people is horrible enough, but when Neethan sees that most (if not all) bodies seem to be Chelaxian rather than a mix including Mwangi, it makes him a bit frightened. His kind is not welcomed here!
”We’re getting closer to the frontier between Sargava and its unruly neighbors. I heard there were several raids into Sargava by warriors from Mzali when I was travelling four years ago. Seems the unrest is still ongoing, unless there is a local mad chieftain around . We need to be careful not to get caught if this war is still ongoing. I need to learn more in Kalabuto. I just hope that city is alright.
While scavenging birds are disgustful, the lack thereof is also a warning, because those birds are opportunists but also intelligent. Something is keeping them away. Could be a trap or an ambush.”

Neethan asks Athyra what she thinks and what her dinosaur senses about the dead in the tree. He also asks Father Kerndrew what he can detect from a distance.


Half Orc Rogue 4/Witch 1 | HP: 37/37 | Init: +10, Att:+6 PBS, CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | AC: 17/19, FF: 14, Touch: 15 | Fort:+7, Ref:+9, Will:+5/+6 against Compulsion | Acrobatics:+12, Climb:+9, Disable:+13, Escape:+8, Know-Arcana/Dungeon/Local:+6, Nature+7, Geography:+9, Perception:+12, Sense Motive:+9, Stealth:+11, Survival:+6, Swim:+8 | Darkvision:60' | Sneak Attack 2d6 | +1 Dagger d4+1, 3 Daggers d4, 2 Darts d4, Shortbow 20 Arrows, MW Hanbo d6 | Conditions: Endure Elements, 6 points Con damage

Davor scans the skies again. "Good point Neethan. Those birds that followed us at the very least should be stuffing themselves sick on the bodies here."

Are there any scavengers on the ground around the bodies?

"Could there be some hidden threat? But why would the bodies be strung up? Can anyone detect any dangers? Evil or magic?" Hearing Father Kerndrew's answer he gives a grim nod. "So a hidden evil threat. We can't leave this danger for our people to come on here. What could it be?"

He moves to about 30' away and picks up a stick and throws it high and hard at the tree.


Male Human | Init: +6 | AC: 14 / FF AC: 12 / Touch AC: 12 | Fort: +4 / Ref: +4 / Will: +5 | Speed: 30' | Perception +5 | True Neutral | Wizard/5

Neethan’s primary objective is to get to Kalabuto alive, not to fight everything on the path to the city. He has understood though that the others are on another mission and not likely to just side-step this tree.
The wizard again casts Mage Armor, just in case, to protect himself.


Male Human | Init: +6 | AC: 14 / FF AC: 12 / Touch AC: 12 | Fort: +4 / Ref: +4 / Will: +5 | Speed: 30' | Perception +5 | True Neutral | Wizard/5

”Do you really think there’s anyone alive there? If they’re dead, then they don’t mind me shaking up the tree a little. Maybe we can smoke out anything evil lurking among the bodies, even if it’s invisible?

I have the spell Stone Call prepared. It can envelope the whole tree from a distance.”


HP 33 AC 16 TAC 12 FF 14 | CMD 13 | Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +9 (+2 vs glyphs, symbols and scrolls) | Init +3 | Darkvision 60' +10
Skills:
Diplomacy+9,Heal+9,K. arcana +11 K. planes/religion +12, K. dung/eng/geo/local/nature/nobility +10, K. history +15, Linguistics +6/+8, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft+12/+14, Swim+2, UMD+3
Mysterious Mordant Spire elven female 5 | Character Sheet | Party Treasure | -

Shalissa halts in place when Neethan calls her out "They are Chelaxian... this is all we need to know, that we are probably not well received here, other than in Kalabuto itself"

When Father Kerndrew informs the group about the evilness of the place, Shalissa offers a blessing to consecrate the place "Mother Nature, be the silent force that brings this place back to balance. Make your worms consume the burned flesh and transform the rotted meat into something full of live and clean of war once more..."

After the blessing she turns to the others "You are right, let's press on to Kalabuto before we are surprised by whomever did this and our corpses are added to the pile."


Male Human | Init: +6 | AC: 14 / FF AC: 12 / Touch AC: 12 | Fort: +4 / Ref: +4 / Will: +5 | Speed: 30' | Perception +5 | True Neutral | Wizard/5

Neethan is surprised Shalissa does not press the issue of removing any possible danger in the area for those following after.
The wizard holds his spell for now, as casting it after the cleric has blessed the site seems a bit too much.
Neethan looks at Father Kerndrew and Athyra too to see if they also want to leave this place quickly. Neethan don’t mind walking away from this tree.


"What horrible people have done this? Why would they?". Athyra is clearly shocked by the sight.

"Jaji would never do something like this to his own kind"

Having never lived in any society Athyra is completely unable to even fathom what she sees here. And Father Kerndrew is a player character of a currently absent player. While I believe he would like to do something about the place, I don't want to impose him on the group. But he would support somebody who demands to actively destroy that display.

@Shalissa Did I understand correctly that you are stepping close to the circle in order to consecrate the place? or even into it?


Half Orc Rogue 4/Witch 1 | HP: 37/37 | Init: +10, Att:+6 PBS, CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | AC: 17/19, FF: 14, Touch: 15 | Fort:+7, Ref:+9, Will:+5/+6 against Compulsion | Acrobatics:+12, Climb:+9, Disable:+13, Escape:+8, Know-Arcana/Dungeon/Local:+6, Nature+7, Geography:+9, Perception:+12, Sense Motive:+9, Stealth:+11, Survival:+6, Swim:+8 | Darkvision:60' | Sneak Attack 2d6 | +1 Dagger d4+1, 3 Daggers d4, 2 Darts d4, Shortbow 20 Arrows, MW Hanbo d6 | Conditions: Endure Elements, 6 points Con damage

"We're not attacking every evil thing that we happen to pass. But the group coming behind us might not be able to handle the dangers that we can. In the case of this place.... if it is limited to the area of this tree, maybe we could mark it? Post a sign that the place is evil? I'd just as soon burn the thing down but I'd be worried that the fire could spread."

"Shalissa? You summoned water for that warehouse fire. If we threw a burning oil flask at the tree to start it burning? Would you be able to contain any fire away from the tree?"

Plains? Lots of dry grass?


HP 11/11 | AC 15 TAC 12 FF 13 | CMD 14 | Fort +3 Ref +1 Will +2 | Senses +4 |
Skills:
Acrobatics +5, Climb +5, Craft (ships) +3, Perception +4, Profession (fisherman) +4, Profession (sailor) +8, Survival +4, Swim +5
Female N Human Expert 1/Warrior 1

@GM: Yes if necessary.

While Shalissa consecrates the place, and helps Davor with the water, Kyra holds her bow nervously looking around "Well, the place does reek evilness by itself, doesn't it? If the back group has any sense remaining, they are not approaching the area at all..."

"Finish your play elf, and let's get moving"


Shiv Battle Map | Campaign Page

As soon as Shaliisa steps up to the Tree, trying to consecrate the ground, the Bodies on the ground rise up and start Walking towards her.

Ini:
Davor: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15
Shalissa: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Plague Zombie: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (5) + 0 = 5
Neethan: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Kerndrew: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

Know Religion Shalissa: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24
Know Religion Kerndrew: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Know Religion Neethan: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

These are Plague Zombies which infect everybody they hit with disease and also explode in a cloud of infectious flesh when killed


HP 33 AC 16 TAC 12 FF 14 | CMD 13 | Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +9 (+2 vs glyphs, symbols and scrolls) | Init +3 | Darkvision 60' +10
Skills:
Diplomacy+9,Heal+9,K. arcana +11 K. planes/religion +12, K. dung/eng/geo/local/nature/nobility +10, K. history +15, Linguistics +6/+8, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft+12/+14, Swim+2, UMD+3
Mysterious Mordant Spire elven female 5 | Character Sheet | Party Treasure | -

"Oh, no! Plague zombies! Be aware they explode into infectious clouds when destroyed!" Shalissa quickly explains as the bodies start to move.

Holding up her holy symbol she completes the consecration by channeling energy to affect the undead "Sky Father get these creatures of evil out of here!"

Channel energy 3/4: 3d6 ⇒ (1, 3, 2) = 6
Will DC 13 for half


Male Human | Init: +6 | AC: 14 / FF AC: 12 / Touch AC: 12 | Fort: +4 / Ref: +4 / Will: +5 | Speed: 30' | Perception +5 | True Neutral | Wizard/5

As Shalissa walks right into it, Neethan sighs. You couldn’t just leave it alone, could you?
The wizard has no wish to get anywhere near zombies if he can avoid it and backs away before casting his Stone Call spell.
”Manducare lutum!”

Combat:

Casting Stone Call
Range medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area cylinder (40-ft. radius, 20 ft. high)
Duration 1 round/level
Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance no
Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 2) = 5, bludgeoning damage, to every creature in the area
Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance no
This damage only occurs once, when the spell is cast.
For the remaining duration of the spell, this debris covers the ground, making the entire area difficult terrain. At the end of
the duration, the rocks disappear, leaving no aftereffects (other than the damage dealt).


Half Orc Rogue 4/Witch 1 | HP: 37/37 | Init: +10, Att:+6 PBS, CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | AC: 17/19, FF: 14, Touch: 15 | Fort:+7, Ref:+9, Will:+5/+6 against Compulsion | Acrobatics:+12, Climb:+9, Disable:+13, Escape:+8, Know-Arcana/Dungeon/Local:+6, Nature+7, Geography:+9, Perception:+12, Sense Motive:+9, Stealth:+11, Survival:+6, Swim:+8 | Darkvision:60' | Sneak Attack 2d6 | +1 Dagger d4+1, 3 Daggers d4, 2 Darts d4, Shortbow 20 Arrows, MW Hanbo d6 | Conditions: Endure Elements, 6 points Con damage

Davor had just started to move forward to start slashing at the undead monsters when Shalissa calls out her warning. They explode when they die, spreading their disease? Standing where he is he pulls and throws a dart, hoping the monsters take damage from simple weapons like these.... "Why didn't I buy any alchemist's fire while we were in town? Burn these things!"

To hit the zombie right in front of me at 20': 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
damage: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Would precision damage apply to them?
precision damage if it applies?: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 3) = 4


Male LG Human Paladin of Iomedae 5 | HP: 38/39 | AC: 22 (11 Tch, 22 Fl) | CMD: 19 (19 Fl) | F: +9, R: +5, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +9, SM +8 | Speed 20 ft | Active conditions: none

"Iomedae protects me from diseases! Don't worry about killing any adjacent to me; their infection can't hurt me!" Father Kerndrew strides forward to engage the zombies with confidence, his longsword out and swinging.

Actions:

Move: 20'
Standard: attack blue

+1 longsword: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19
damage, S: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

I wasn't monitoring the action while I was away, unfortunately. Can anyone bring me up to speed on what's happening right now? Of course, fighting zombies is a no-brainer, but why are we at this tree with the difficult terrain that they seem to be protecting? Also, is the difficult terrain in the brown circle or grey oval? Thanks!


HP 11/11 | AC 15 TAC 12 FF 13 | CMD 14 | Fort +3 Ref +1 Will +2 | Senses +4 |
Skills:
Acrobatics +5, Climb +5, Craft (ships) +3, Perception +4, Profession (fisherman) +4, Profession (sailor) +8, Survival +4, Swim +5
Female N Human Expert 1/Warrior 1

"Di' Father has turn crazy now!" Kyra shouts as she hears the man and sees him charging forward "Give 'sword to da' fanatic and he thinks he cannot get ill evermore!"

"Well... ya' wished for this!" the pirate moves and sets lose one of the arrows to the same zombie attacked by Davor.
composite longbow: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Piercing damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Athyra moves in front of them two and not wanting to go into the undead terrain, she readies her glaive to protect them and attack any approaching zombie.
glaive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Slashing damage: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

AoO: glaive (10' reach): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
Slashing damage: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12


Male Human | Init: +6 | AC: 14 / FF AC: 12 / Touch AC: 12 | Fort: +4 / Ref: +4 / Will: +5 | Speed: 30' | Perception +5 | True Neutral | Wizard/5

@Kerndrew: The zombies “activated” close to the tree (10-foot radius, brown dashed circle centered on tree which is the filled green circle).
My Stone Call spell which is causing the difficult terrain, is centered further back as it has a 40-foot radius (gray circle). Off the chart some as not to hit us.


Shiv Battle Map | Campaign Page

Saving Throws rolled offline.
Shalissas energy flowsthrough the undead bodies but seems barely to stagger them, before Neethan dropping stones on the unfortunate victims.

As soon is Father Kerndrews sword slices through the chest of the nearest zombie it slices open its chest revealing a fountain of gore spraying everything inside 10 ft.

The zombie is dead as well as all the other ones that were attacked, but is spraying Kerndrew and Shalissa with his gruesome remains. Shalissa must make a Fortitude save DC 13, the Paladin is immune, but nonetheless covered in remains.
Davor and Kyra kill one zombie each and the next one falls once it reaches Athyra.

The remaining Zombies slowly work their way forward through the debris.
No charge possible and they have only a single action per turn.

Battle Status - Characters in bold may act
Kerndrew
Davor
Neethan
Shalissa
Kyra
Athyra
Plague Zombie(blue) - Dead
Plague Zombie(red)(8)
Plague Zombie(green) - Dead
Plague Zombie(brown) - Dead
Plague Zombie(yellow)(8)
Plague Zombie(lila)(8)
Plague Zombie(black)(8)
Plague Zombie(orange) - Dead


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male LG Human Paladin of Iomedae 5 | HP: 38/39 | AC: 22 (11 Tch, 22 Fl) | CMD: 19 (19 Fl) | F: +9, R: +5, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +9, SM +8 | Speed 20 ft | Active conditions: none

"Fanatic? The Inheritor's protection is quite real, I assure you!" While Father Kerndrew defends his religious honor, he loses focus on the threat in front of him and his swing goes wide.

Actions:

Full round: full attack vs black

+1 longsword: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12
damage, S: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

Ahhh, those are the dice I remember....


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Half Orc Rogue 4/Witch 1 | HP: 37/37 | Init: +10, Att:+6 PBS, CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | AC: 17/19, FF: 14, Touch: 15 | Fort:+7, Ref:+9, Will:+5/+6 against Compulsion | Acrobatics:+12, Climb:+9, Disable:+13, Escape:+8, Know-Arcana/Dungeon/Local:+6, Nature+7, Geography:+9, Perception:+12, Sense Motive:+9, Stealth:+11, Survival:+6, Swim:+8 | Darkvision:60' | Sneak Attack 2d6 | +1 Dagger d4+1, 3 Daggers d4, 2 Darts d4, Shortbow 20 Arrows, MW Hanbo d6 | Conditions: Endure Elements, 6 points Con damage

Side stepping to the right Davor throws his other dart, still wishing for a flask of fire.... "He's not crazy. Just protected. And really good at what he does best!"

Attack on Yellow: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
damage?: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4


Male Human | Init: +6 | AC: 14 / FF AC: 12 / Touch AC: 12 | Fort: +4 / Ref: +4 / Will: +5 | Speed: 30' | Perception +5 | True Neutral | Wizard/5

Neethan keeps his distance and instead attacks with ranged missiles. The zombies almost seem to explode when hit and he won’t let them come near him. Two silvery missiles streak out from his hands, targeting the closest enemies.

Combat:

Targeting the closest still standing zombies: (yellow, lila, black, red or any new one). If the first missile is enough to kill a zombie move to the next with the second.
Casting Magic Missile. Range (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Missile1: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5, force damage, incl Intense spells
Missile2: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6, force damage, incl Intense spells
Saving Throw none;
Spell Resistance yes ;


Shiv Battle Map | Campaign Page

Surprised by the explosion, Father kerndrew stumbles backward while trying to land the next swing, but still somehow manages to cath the zombie in the chest, leading to another violent outburst of rotten remains.

Davor and Neethan try to keep the remaining zombies away from them. As the first ones these seem to implode at the lightest touch and so soon all corpses are lying ded on the ground.

You won. You actually should have won after that intial to area effects, but somehow you both managed to roll low.

Shalissa gets exploded upon by 2 more zombies, so in total three saving throws are necessary.


Male Human | Init: +6 | AC: 14 / FF AC: 12 / Touch AC: 12 | Fort: +4 / Ref: +4 / Will: +5 | Speed: 30' | Perception +5 | True Neutral | Wizard/5

Neethan waits a little to see if anything else is attacking him. The stones on the ground caused by his spell, clear up after a few seconds and it’s easier to walk around the tree. The wizard does not expect there be anything worth searching among the dead zombies, and gladly lets the other members of the team do that.

He looks to see how blackened the tree is. If it has already burned, he does not believe it will be easy to burn down the rest. Just to be sure though, he lets one of his flaming spheres move over the dead zombies and to the tree to see what would happen. He keeps his distance of 30 feet though, not to catch any disease.


HP 33 AC 16 TAC 12 FF 14 | CMD 13 | Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +9 (+2 vs glyphs, symbols and scrolls) | Init +3 | Darkvision 60' +10
Skills:
Diplomacy+9,Heal+9,K. arcana +11 K. planes/religion +12, K. dung/eng/geo/local/nature/nobility +10, K. history +15, Linguistics +6/+8, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft+12/+14, Swim+2, UMD+3
Mysterious Mordant Spire elven female 5 | Character Sheet | Party Treasure | -

Fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Despite her feeble elven constitution, Shalissa endures well the initial pustular bursts, but three are just too much. As the zombies collapse around, she starts to feel worse and worse "Perhaps we should bury the remains and bless the place... I suggest we do the digging while Kerndrew moves the bodies around"

It is clear something is going on with the elf, as she goes paler than usual and holds herself against her trident. Without telling anyone, she makes a self inspection.
Heal: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13


HP 11/11 | AC 15 TAC 12 FF 13 | CMD 14 | Fort +3 Ref +1 Will +2 | Senses +4 |
Skills:
Acrobatics +5, Climb +5, Craft (ships) +3, Perception +4, Profession (fisherman) +4, Profession (sailor) +8, Survival +4, Swim +5
Female N Human Expert 1/Warrior 1

"Aye, we shall see tonight when ya' come to Kyra's soothing looking for someone to clean the ugly pustules" the pirate smirks while lowering the bow, saving an arrow as she sees magic missiles mopping away the zombies at range.

She winks an eye to Neethan "Ya' shall learn from our Salt Boy"

Afterwards, she nods to Shalissa's proposal and looks for the bags they are carrying to find a shovel, you take a shovel if you want to do some archaeology isn't it?, and starts digging some tombs before heading for Kalabuto.


Male Human | Init: +6 | AC: 14 / FF AC: 12 / Touch AC: 12 | Fort: +4 / Ref: +4 / Will: +5 | Speed: 30' | Perception +5 | True Neutral | Wizard/5

Neethan’s mouth is already dry due to the ashes and dust in the warm air, and then Kyra has to remind him of that blasted salt mine!
The wizard gulps down a few mouthfuls of lukewarm water from his waterskin, throwing her a glance. He can sense she likes getting in under his skin. At least she doesn’t seem to mind digging in, he has to give her that.

He calls out to Kerndrew to see if there is still an aura of evil around the tree. Neethan uses his Detect Magic spell to see if anything shows up.

When Neethan is done with examining the tree (from a distance) and the sphere winks out, he helps her dig graves. He looks to see if there is any more shovel, or they have to take turns. If it was up to him, he would have let the bodies just lie there. Nature would have dealt with it.


Male LG Human Paladin of Iomedae 5 | HP: 38/39 | AC: 22 (11 Tch, 22 Fl) | CMD: 19 (19 Fl) | F: +9, R: +5, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +9, SM +8 | Speed 20 ft | Active conditions: none

Father Kerndrew focuses his attention on the tree (detect evil), then starts hauling bodies into the graves, making sure that everyone stands clear as he moves the diseased corpses.


Half Orc Rogue 4/Witch 1 | HP: 37/37 | Init: +10, Att:+6 PBS, CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | AC: 17/19, FF: 14, Touch: 15 | Fort:+7, Ref:+9, Will:+5/+6 against Compulsion | Acrobatics:+12, Climb:+9, Disable:+13, Escape:+8, Know-Arcana/Dungeon/Local:+6, Nature+7, Geography:+9, Perception:+12, Sense Motive:+9, Stealth:+11, Survival:+6, Swim:+8 | Darkvision:60' | Sneak Attack 2d6 | +1 Dagger d4+1, 3 Daggers d4, 2 Darts d4, Shortbow 20 Arrows, MW Hanbo d6 | Conditions: Endure Elements, 6 points Con damage

Davor helps with the digging but stays away from the slimy bodies. "Are you sure we should be burying this? Seems to me the slime is sickness, and that could hurt the soil. Unless there's some way to cleanse them?"

He collects his darts looking for some way to clean them before packing them away again.


Shiv Battle Map | Campaign Page

After defeating the Walking corpses Shalissa once more tries to consecrate the ground and this time is no longer disturbed.

Checking afterwards Father Kerndrew find sthe evil aura gone from this place and you start the gruesome task of burying the dead and destroying the circle around the tree.

After half a days work you are finally finished and move onward to Kalabuto.


HP 33 AC 16 TAC 12 FF 14 | CMD 13 | Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +9 (+2 vs glyphs, symbols and scrolls) | Init +3 | Darkvision 60' +10
Skills:
Diplomacy+9,Heal+9,K. arcana +11 K. planes/religion +12, K. dung/eng/geo/local/nature/nobility +10, K. history +15, Linguistics +6/+8, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft+12/+14, Swim+2, UMD+3
Mysterious Mordant Spire elven female 5 | Character Sheet | Party Treasure | -

"I think the soil will be better now Davor, I can even feel the plants and trees around alleviated as this evilness is finally gone" Shalissa says relieved.

As the group progresses towards Kalabuto, the elf observes Neethan for a few minutes until she opens up "What do you think about us inviting Neethan to come along with us to Tazion. What he did with the zombies here, halting them so they cannot reach us, and then destroying them with magic... it was awesome"

The elven female directs herself then at the man "If you are interested of course. The Azlant were great users of magic nowadays forgotten, someone with your magical skill and arcane knowledge might become an important asset to our exploration..."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human | Init: +6 | AC: 14 / FF AC: 12 / Touch AC: 12 | Fort: +4 / Ref: +4 / Will: +5 | Speed: 30' | Perception +5 | True Neutral | Wizard/5

It feels good to be on the way towards Kalabuto again. After a bit of walking, Shalissa’s words catch Neethan a little off guard. He hadn’t felt very useful with his previous team totally failing in doing their work. Then he had been caught and by sheer luck (or something else likely connected to his magical amulet) been kept just alive inside that mine. He had felt so helpless. Suddenly getting some praise for his actions, is refreshing. He looks on the cleric in another light, thinking she might be the de facto leader of this team. Having been alone for so long, it would be good to be part of a team again, and this one felt at least better than his previous ones.
Maybe I’ve been too focused on just getting back to Kalabuto to report in? Do I really have any plans? It’s not like The Crown were the ones that came recuing me, these ones did.
And there was something really attracting him to the prospect of an Azlanti ruin.

”Thank you for trusting in me. So far, I’ve just been glad you rescued me, and my thoughts have been on getting back to Kalabuto. After that, I have no real plans.

I’ve studied some Azlanti lore and know some of their language. The idea of finding out more about Azlanti arcana is very enticing. You say you’re heading for Tazion to find a map? What are your plans when you find it? Have you been hired to find it, and then what? Continue to find Saventh-Yhi? What is your interest in this?”

The wizard can feel his amulet somehow is ‘listening’ and it moves slightly under his skin. Its pull is very clear; he can almost feel it drawing him into this adventure.
”I need to report back at Kalabuto. At least to tell them I’m alive and what happened to the rest of the scouting party I was a member of, as well as send a letter to my parents. What you are indicating sounds very interesting though."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male LG Human Paladin of Iomedae 5 | HP: 38/39 | AC: 22 (11 Tch, 22 Fl) | CMD: 19 (19 Fl) | F: +9, R: +5, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +9, SM +8 | Speed 20 ft | Active conditions: none

Father Kerndrew looks first from Shalissa to Neethan and back. She may indeed be our leader; I guess I hadn't quite thought of it. She's already demonstrated a much more intuitive command of Iomedean principles... even though she claims to revere Gozreh instead. Is this some lesson in humility for me? he thinks, his eyes briefly wandering to the sky.

"We would be grateful to have another capable set of hands out here for sure. This is an unforgiving jungle; you would be a great asset! Personally, I think it's no mistake that we found you in that salt mine. The Inheritor's hand is not always clear, but this seems quite obvious to me."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Half Orc Rogue 4/Witch 1 | HP: 37/37 | Init: +10, Att:+6 PBS, CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | AC: 17/19, FF: 14, Touch: 15 | Fort:+7, Ref:+9, Will:+5/+6 against Compulsion | Acrobatics:+12, Climb:+9, Disable:+13, Escape:+8, Know-Arcana/Dungeon/Local:+6, Nature+7, Geography:+9, Perception:+12, Sense Motive:+9, Stealth:+11, Survival:+6, Swim:+8 | Darkvision:60' | Sneak Attack 2d6 | +1 Dagger d4+1, 3 Daggers d4, 2 Darts d4, Shortbow 20 Arrows, MW Hanbo d6 | Conditions: Endure Elements, 6 points Con damage

Davor had already considered Neethan as part of their group, not really even once thinking that the man might not want to.... "Isn't finding the fabled lost city enough to catch anyone's interest? But actually, while we were on the island.... Well, there's more to that story. Our shipwreck was caused by one of the serpent folk. She had powerful magic and had enchanted our captain.... It was from tracking her down and getting a bit of vengeance that we found clues about the city. Unfortunately we had a number of companions with us during our time ship wrecked there, and they are a part of Shalissa's quite valid concern. We have competition to find the city first, other factions that now have the benefit of our previous companions knowledge. The other factions, possibly other serpent folk, plus the wonders of the ancient city itself. I can't imagine not wanting to discover it!"

Kalabuto is ahead of us on our track isn't it? How far?


HP 33 AC 16 TAC 12 FF 14 | CMD 13 | Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +9 (+2 vs glyphs, symbols and scrolls) | Init +3 | Darkvision 60' +10
Skills:
Diplomacy+9,Heal+9,K. arcana +11 K. planes/religion +12, K. dung/eng/geo/local/nature/nobility +10, K. history +15, Linguistics +6/+8, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft+12/+14, Swim+2, UMD+3
Mysterious Mordant Spire elven female 5 | Character Sheet | Party Treasure | -

"We Mordant Spire elves collect and protect the ruins of old Azlant around the Spire. My function in my society is that one precisely, to research and preserve the ancient marvels of Azlant." Shalissa tries to appease Neethan's concerns "During my search I found evidence the Azlanti and the Serpentfolk had wars that expanded through centuries, and apparently their final battle was held here, in Sargava. That is why I came here. To discover the truth. And while my elven vessel stranded at the Shiv and my bodyguards died by the dangers there, I have found destiny to play along and blessed me with Father Kerndrew and Davor's companionship."

"And now yours."

As she adds the last part she smiles "Well, it seems we all agree then, I guess you are in all this with us from now on Neethan"

And then looking forward with a gesture of his head to answer Davor's question she adds while walking "There. Kalabuto. I can even see the first homes. If we press on, we might reach before the night falls."


Male Human | Init: +6 | AC: 14 / FF AC: 12 / Touch AC: 12 | Fort: +4 / Ref: +4 / Will: +5 | Speed: 30' | Perception +5 | True Neutral | Wizard/5

Neethan listens to first Davor and then Shalissa, before nodding.

”I believe you have been through enough to know that the task you are talking about likely won’t be as easy as a walk in the park. You want to trust who you take with you into the jungle. Jumping at this without asking you questions, would just indicate me being stupid.

While the seek for knowledge is honorable, motives can vary. Trust me, I’ve seen some bad things at The Academy. The City of Thorns holds some powerful … beings …, and the majority of them seek power through study and sacrifices. Power for power’s sake, not for doing anything good. Dealings with summoned demons are just another Toilday. What do you know about your employer?

The Azlanti culture does interest me. Even learning something more about the Serpentfolk would be interesting, though they are Evil to the core.
Legends speak about a fight between the two groups, involving at least one defeated deity. Gods are hard to really kill though and awakening any dormant one is not always a good thing. We’d better be careful, if it’s the real thing.”
Neethan says looking serious.

”But alright. What you are planning to do, sounds too good to pass up on. I’ve been dreaming to do something like that. I’m in.” he finally adds with a smile.


HP 33 AC 16 TAC 12 FF 14 | CMD 13 | Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +9 (+2 vs glyphs, symbols and scrolls) | Init +3 | Darkvision 60' +10
Skills:
Diplomacy+9,Heal+9,K. arcana +11 K. planes/religion +12, K. dung/eng/geo/local/nature/nobility +10, K. history +15, Linguistics +6/+8, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft+12/+14, Swim+2, UMD+3
Mysterious Mordant Spire elven female 5 | Character Sheet | Party Treasure | -

"Be appeased, we are self-employed, this is our own expedition" Shalissa reassures Neethan's doubts "Sure, we could not pay for all this by ourselves, and we had to look for an sponsor. After considering different options we accepted Captain Kassata's funding"

"She is the pirate that found us out of the Shiv island and she is basically looking for fame more even than wealth, so rest reassured, there are no hidden ruse for dark power on this search" the elf explains even as they keep walking.

"Well, that and Father Kerndrew was tasked to end with a dark sorcerer near Kalabuto" a sudden idea crosses Shalissa's head and she looks at Neethan up and down for a second.
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22


Male Human | Init: +6 | AC: 14 / FF AC: 12 / Touch AC: 12 | Fort: +4 / Ref: +4 / Will: +5 | Speed: 30' | Perception +5 | True Neutral | Wizard/5

Neethan turns to Kerndrew: ”A dark sorcerer, you say? Not one of those native mumbo jumbo shamans, but a real sorcerer? No, strike that! My teachers had no understanding nor tolerance of anyone not taught in a proper school of arcana. I’ve seen that the power of some of the shamans here are quite real, if not the same type of magic. Do you think that sorcerer has anything to do with the zombies in that tree?”

It’s been a little more than four years since Neethan got stuck in that cave, so he knows a lot of things might have happened. Yet, someone does not become powerful overnight, so he tries to remember the rumors he has heard, while waiting for more info from the paladin.

Kn(Local): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29


Shiv Battle Map | Campaign Page

From a distance, Kalabuto seems to be nothing more than a low hill surrounded by fields of pineapples, with a few scattered buildings under a pall of smoke.
Once you are closer you realize the town consists mostly of ruins that are almost entirely covered with centuries of jungle growth and notice the thousands of native Mwangi coming and going from the city in the hustle and bustle of commerce and daily life.
Kalabuto is actually a collection of crumbling stone buildings covered in tangled vines and other greenery. Almost all of these buildings are occupied by the natives. Remembering this ghastly tree you are actually a bit worried about entering but nobody makes any attempt to attack you. And once you reach the city centre you realize that just like in Eleder there is a small colonial elite whoch occupies a small cluster of house on top of the hill.


Half Orc Rogue 4/Witch 1 | HP: 37/37 | Init: +10, Att:+6 PBS, CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | AC: 17/19, FF: 14, Touch: 15 | Fort:+7, Ref:+9, Will:+5/+6 against Compulsion | Acrobatics:+12, Climb:+9, Disable:+13, Escape:+8, Know-Arcana/Dungeon/Local:+6, Nature+7, Geography:+9, Perception:+12, Sense Motive:+9, Stealth:+11, Survival:+6, Swim:+8 | Darkvision:60' | Sneak Attack 2d6 | +1 Dagger d4+1, 3 Daggers d4, 2 Darts d4, Shortbow 20 Arrows, MW Hanbo d6 | Conditions: Endure Elements, 6 points Con damage

"I'd nearly forgotten that. Wasn't the phrase 'JuJu' mentioned? Possibly tied to the zombies at the trees? But there wasn't a sorcerer around or the battle would likely have been harder!"

Seeing the run down city buildings, and the colonial 'elite' homes disturbs Davor. "There's an obvious difference between those that have and those that don't...."


Shiv Battle Map | Campaign Page

Misunderstanding here, ALl the cities are old ruins. The colonials are just using the ones on the hill which are slightly more grandiose. But they are still ancient ruins.


Half Orc Rogue 4/Witch 1 | HP: 37/37 | Init: +10, Att:+6 PBS, CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | AC: 17/19, FF: 14, Touch: 15 | Fort:+7, Ref:+9, Will:+5/+6 against Compulsion | Acrobatics:+12, Climb:+9, Disable:+13, Escape:+8, Know-Arcana/Dungeon/Local:+6, Nature+7, Geography:+9, Perception:+12, Sense Motive:+9, Stealth:+11, Survival:+6, Swim:+8 | Darkvision:60' | Sneak Attack 2d6 | +1 Dagger d4+1, 3 Daggers d4, 2 Darts d4, Shortbow 20 Arrows, MW Hanbo d6 | Conditions: Endure Elements, 6 points Con damage

Sorry. I misunderstood thinking that the elite were in newer or fixed up buildings. So just bigger and better but still ancient ruins.


HP 33 AC 16 TAC 12 FF 14 | CMD 13 | Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +9 (+2 vs glyphs, symbols and scrolls) | Init +3 | Darkvision 60' +10
Skills:
Diplomacy+9,Heal+9,K. arcana +11 K. planes/religion +12, K. dung/eng/geo/local/nature/nobility +10, K. history +15, Linguistics +6/+8, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft+12/+14, Swim+2, UMD+3
Mysterious Mordant Spire elven female 5 | Character Sheet | Party Treasure | -

Shalissa seems reassured by Neethan reaction and keeps moving "Mmm... you are right, it might be that sorcerer has something to do with the tree zombies."

As they get into Kalabuto, the elf gets much more cautious observing the people around "Kassata told us to find her contact here who should tell us how to continue our way forward into the jungle"

Observing the ancient ruins and distribution of houses, she adds "I propose we look first for our contact. She might have some place for us to pass the night" the elf will try to ask around to find this person.
Diplomacy (gather information): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25


Male Human | Init: +6 | AC: 14 / FF AC: 12 / Touch AC: 12 | Fort: +4 / Ref: +4 / Will: +5 | Speed: 30' | Perception +5 | True Neutral | Wizard/5

Neethan has been to Kalabuto a couple of times before. Yet, his long absence has made him cautious. The (un)dead bodies strung up in that tree had been a stark reminder that there is conflict in this area.
The wizard looks around when they arrive, trying to get a feeling of the city. How the natives look at the party and if he can see any other colonials or elves.

The plantations outside, interest him very little, but the overgrown ruins in the city are another matter. Though of Chelaxian heritage, he does not feel any guilt himself about Kalabuto. The city is witness of cultures coming and going. He had heard that the city had been in ruin long before the Mwangi moved in and started to live here. That the Chelaxians had come some time after and tried to get a proper civilization going, wasn’t wrong in his opinion. There had been tension and unrest before and most likely still would be, but the two groups had tried to get a system working. If it hadn’t been for the crazy warrior tribes from Mzali, there would likely have been a more prosperous city.

Neethan knows the city is situated by a busy river and that travelling on the river is much easier that toughing it out through the jungles. The river trade has its own rivaling parties too, of course, as always when there are cold coins to be made.

He is in no real hurry to contact the local office, but can wait until he sees where the team will stay during the time here.

2,801 to 2,850 of 3,250 << first < prev | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Kulkos Souls for Smuggler’s Shiv (SSk1) - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.