It Came from Hollow Mountain

Game Master DEREK LANE 127

Magnimar Stuff | Roll20 Map


6,351 to 6,400 of 6,655 << first < prev | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | next > last >>

Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics
Ezranadir wrote:
GM Derek wrote:

Everybody else is in the entryway, 10 feet off the ground. Anybody who wants can either jump in (or walk down the ladder) or enter initiative from where they are, assuming ranged attacks.

It is just that nobody spoke up and from where you're standing, some can't even see what's happening down there.

GO FOR IT!

Ok. Ezranadir can see from where he is so he will use ranged spell attacks.

Ezranadir stays above but steps to the south to let others pass him and targets the first large creature with two Scorching Rays.

No SR. Crit applies. But much of the fire damage doesn't affect the thing! The crit was pretty powerful, though. So, damage!

Init roll: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics

WELCOME TO THE GAUNTLET!

ROUND TWO
—------------------------------------------------
Ezranadir: scorching rays; crit!
Nasir:
FRANKENSTEIN red:
SWARM red:
FRANKENSTEIN green:

BOLD may go!

STATUS
-----------------------
Ezranadir (42/42hp) ||
Ayita (58/58hp) ||
Yazhi (51/51hp) ||
Doc (48/48hp) || **POISONED**
Frantino (59/59hp) ||
Roscoe (45/45hp) ||
Nasir (60/60hp) ||

CONDITIONS
-----------------------
POISONED: -1 wisdom

Dark Archive

Male Elf Wizard-Evoker 7th
Stats:
HP: 40/42 | Init +9 | AC: 17(21); FF: 14(18); T: 17(21); CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +6, W: +6; Speed: 30';
GM Derek wrote:
But much of the fire damage doesn't affect the thing! The crit was pretty powerful, though. So, damage!

Dang, why did you have me create a mage with blasting firepower if everything is immune or resistant! Lol!

GM Derek, are you rolling initiative for everyone else? You usually do for each combat encounter. Why not this time?


Male Qadiran Human Fighter 7 | HP 60/60 | AC 26 Temp 26| FF 24 Temp 24| Tch/Temp 12|CMD 22| Init+3 | Perc+2 | F+8 R+5 W+4| Speed 20 [dice=Scimitar]1d20+13[/dice] [dice=Dmg]1d6+7[/dice] [dice=Shield Bash]1d20+13[/dice] [dice=Dmg]1d6+6[/dice] Two Weapon Att -2 to hit

With a foe in his face, Nasir unleashes a full flurry of attacks!

Scimitar: 1d20 + 13 - 2 ⇒ (3) + 13 - 2 = 14
Dmg: 1d6 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

Shield Bash: 1d20 + 13 - 2 ⇒ (5) + 13 - 2 = 16
Dmg: 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

Scimitar: 1d20 + 13 - 5 ⇒ (20) + 13 - 5 = 28
Crit Confirm?: 1d20 + 13 - 5 ⇒ (2) + 13 - 5 = 10
Dmg: 1d6 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

If the big guy goes down, any remaining attacks will be on the roach in melee range.

Then Nasir will take a step back and check his shoulders. Realizing he is fighting alone in the pit, he shouts to the group.

"I could use some help here! More are coming!"


Male Qadiran Human Fighter 7 | HP 60/60 | AC 26 Temp 26| FF 24 Temp 24| Tch/Temp 12|CMD 22| Init+3 | Perc+2 | F+8 R+5 W+4| Speed 20 [dice=Scimitar]1d20+13[/dice] [dice=Dmg]1d6+7[/dice] [dice=Shield Bash]1d20+13[/dice] [dice=Dmg]1d6+6[/dice] Two Weapon Att -2 to hit
Quote:
GM Derek, are you rolling initiative for everyone else? You usually do for each combat encounter. Why not this time?

I think because everyone is just standing around watching Nasir fight. No need to roll dice to get in initiative. People just need to say when they are jumping in.

NOW would be a great time (hint, hint) for everyone to get into the initiative order before Nasir gets swarmed and surrounded.


M Half-elf Occultist 6/Investigator 1 | HP 59/59 | AC 20 temp 20 | T 11 FF 19 | CMD 20 | F+10, R+8, W+10 | Init +2 | Speed 30 | Perc +16 darkvision | Sen Mot +10 | 14 Mental focus: 4/6 abjuration, 2/2 divination, 6/6 transmutation | Inspiration 3/3 | +2 Halberd +13/+6, 1d10 + 15 / x3 | [dice=+2 halberd w/ PA]1d20 + 13[/dice], [dice=damage]1d10 + 15[/dice] | Spells remaining: 1st 4/5 2nd 4/4

"I'm on my way!"

Frantino casts shield and leaps off the balcony to land with feather fall and step over to Nasir. If he can use his full 30' of movement he'll go to the far side of Nasir, leaving space available for others who started further back. As a swift action he'll spend a point of abjuration focus to raise a mind barrier, which now blocks 12 hp.

I don't see an answer to my question last week: Which séance spirits were available this morning? Something we would have done before going through the portal. Also, who is life linked with Doc?

Silver Crusade

F Shoanti | Hawk | Wolfdog Hunter 6/Rogue 1|HP 58/58|AC 17 CMD 20 | FF 14 |T 13|Init+2|F+8 R+10 W+5 (+1 v fear) | Spd 30 | Perc(+17)+2(alert)+1(trps)+3(bright) | +1Earthbkr +8(2d6+5) | Yazhi |HP 51/51| AC 25(ma) |FF,T 14,17| F+7 R+8 W+3 | +1Bite (mf, bull) +10(d6+8) bleed

Ayita casts "shield companion" on Yazhi, then directs her to move towards a flanking position. Ayita does not move all the way in though, so both pause a bit away from the large thing.

Both jump down as part of their actions.

Silver Crusade

F Shoanti | Hawk | Wolfdog Hunter 6/Rogue 1|HP 58/58|AC 17 CMD 20 | FF 14 |T 13|Init+2|F+8 R+10 W+5 (+1 v fear) | Spd 30 | Perc(+17)+2(alert)+1(trps)+3(bright) | +1Earthbkr +8(2d6+5) | Yazhi |HP 51/51| AC 25(ma) |FF,T 14,17| F+7 R+8 W+3 | +1Bite (mf, bull) +10(d6+8) bleed

Re. the jumping - Ayita is +16 acrobatics, Yazhi is +11 to jump. I think Ayita auto-succeeds on the DC 15 of a 10 foot jump down?

Yazhi: Yazhi jump down: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15

I believe that neither take damage, so they can continue moving - best guess! :-)


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics
Nasir al-Rafik Kamal wrote:

With a foe in his face, Nasir unleashes a full flurry of attacks!

Then Nasir will take a step back and check his shoulders. Realizing he is fighting alone in the pit, he shouts to the group.

"I could use some help here! More are coming!"

HIT and eventually KILL.


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics
Frantino Kaddren wrote:

"I'm on my way!"

Frantino casts shield and leaps off the balcony to land with feather fall and step over to Nasir. If he can use his full 30' of movement he'll go to the far side of Nasir, leaving space available for others who started further back. As a swift action he'll spend a point of abjuration focus to raise a mind barrier, which now blocks 12 hp.

I don't see an answer to my question last week: Which séance spirits were available this morning? Something we would have done before going through the portal. Also, who is life linked with Doc?

Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics
Ayita of the Hawk Clan wrote:

Re. the jumping - Ayita is +16 acrobatics, Yazhi is +11 to jump. I think Ayita auto-succeeds on the DC 15 of a 10 foot jump down?

I believe that neither take damage, so they can continue moving - best guess! :-)

Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics

The stitched-together monstrosity falls to Nasir's onslaught. Pieces of its skin fall apart, its straw guts spilling forth upon the ground.

The cockroach swarm immediately moves and covers yazhi, Frantino, and Nasir!

@YAZHI @FRANTINO @NASIR Swarm Dmg: 1d6 ⇒ 1

Distraction Fort DC14:
On a failure the creatures damaged by the swarm are nauseated for 1 round. Creatures with the nauseated condition experience stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.

The second construct lumbers forth from the summoning circle. It swings its longsword at Ayita.

@AYITA Longsword: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17 Dmg: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (6, 1) + 4 = 11 HIT!


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics

WELCOME TO THE GAUNTLET!

ROUND TWO
—------------------------------------------------
Ezranadir: scorching rays; crit!
Nasir: swings, hits, kills! Need Fort DC14
Ayita: shield companion; move
Yazhi: move; no dmg from swarm, no save needed
Frantino: shield; move; mental barrier
Doc: moves closer to edge of hallway
FRANKENSTEIN red: DEAD
SWARM red: moves into Nasir, Frantino, Yazhi's space, attack
FRANKENSTEIN green: Move; attack Ayita

FINAL!

STATUS
-----------------------
Ezranadir (42/42hp) ||
Ayita (47/58hp) || -11hp
Yazhi (51/51hp) || dmg negated by DR
Doc (48/48hp) || **POISONED**
Frantino (59/59hp) || dmg negated by mental barrier
Roscoe (45/45hp) ||
Nasir (59/60hp) || -1hp

CONDITIONS
-----------------------
POISONED: -1 wisdom


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics

Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13

Life Link: Doc has life link on all of you.


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics

Roscoe delays and doesn't enter initiative order.


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics

WELCOME TO THE GAUNTLET!

ROUND THREE
—------------------------------------------------
Ezranadir:
Nasir:
Need Fort DC14
Ayita:
Yazhi:
Frantino:

Doc: life links Ayita
SWARM red:
FRANKENSTEIN green:

BOLD may go!

STATUS
-----------------------
Ezranadir (42/42hp) ||
Ayita (52/58hp) || -11+5=-6hp
Yazhi (51/51hp) || dmg negated by DR
Doc (43/48hp) || -5hp **POISONED**
Frantino (59/59hp) || dmg negated by mental barrier
Roscoe (45/45hp) ||
Nasir (59/60hp) || -1hp

CONDITIONS
-----------------------
POISONED: -1 wisdom


Male Qadiran Human Fighter 7 | HP 60/60 | AC 26 Temp 26| FF 24 Temp 24| Tch/Temp 12|CMD 22| Init+3 | Perc+2 | F+8 R+5 W+4| Speed 20 [dice=Scimitar]1d20+13[/dice] [dice=Dmg]1d6+7[/dice] [dice=Shield Bash]1d20+13[/dice] [dice=Dmg]1d6+6[/dice] Two Weapon Att -2 to hit

Fort Save: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics

Red blobs on roll20 are the swarm

Dark Archive

Male Elf Wizard-Evoker 7th
Stats:
HP: 40/42 | Init +9 | AC: 17(21); FF: 14(18); T: 17(21); CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +6, W: +6; Speed: 30';

Ezranadir thinks, 'Well if these things are resistant to fire, then back to force damage.' He releases 4 magic missiles at the remaining large creature (Green).

Intense Magic Missile Force Dmg: 4d4 + 3 ⇒ (2, 1, 3, 3) + 3 = 12

A Knowledge check for them? Arcana +16, Dungeoneering +15, Nature +10, Planes +10, Religion +14. If it is another then let me know as I have other Knowledge skills.
Recall Knowledge: 1d20 ⇒ 9 + whichever from above.


M Half-elf Occultist 6/Investigator 1 | HP 59/59 | AC 20 temp 20 | T 11 FF 19 | CMD 20 | F+10, R+8, W+10 | Init +2 | Speed 30 | Perc +16 darkvision | Sen Mot +10 | 14 Mental focus: 4/6 abjuration, 2/2 divination, 6/6 transmutation | Inspiration 3/3 | +2 Halberd +13/+6, 1d10 + 15 / x3 | [dice=+2 halberd w/ PA]1d20 + 13[/dice], [dice=damage]1d10 + 15[/dice] | Spells remaining: 1st 4/5 2nd 4/4

Fort save: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11

However, Frantino shouldn't be subject to Distraction because it specifies that any creature damaged has to make a Fort save. Frantino's mind barrier absorbed the damage before it reached him. If he can attack, he'll 5' step forward and full attack.

first attack: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 26, damage: 1d10 + 15 ⇒ (10) + 15 = 25

second attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26, damage: 1d10 + 15 ⇒ (8) + 15 = 23
crit confirm?: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16, x3 crit damage: 2d10 + 30 ⇒ (10, 3) + 30 = 43

Then he'll spend another point of mental focus to put up another mind barrier.


M Half-elf Occultist 6/Investigator 1 | HP 59/59 | AC 20 temp 20 | T 11 FF 19 | CMD 20 | F+10, R+8, W+10 | Init +2 | Speed 30 | Perc +16 darkvision | Sen Mot +10 | 14 Mental focus: 4/6 abjuration, 2/2 divination, 6/6 transmutation | Inspiration 3/3 | +2 Halberd +13/+6, 1d10 + 15 / x3 | [dice=+2 halberd w/ PA]1d20 + 13[/dice], [dice=damage]1d10 + 15[/dice] | Spells remaining: 1st 4/5 2nd 4/4
GM Derek wrote:
Frantino (59/59hp) || dmg negated by mental barrier

Oops, you already caught it, my oversight.


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics
Ezranadir wrote:

Ezranadir thinks, 'Well if these things are resistant to fire, then back to force damage.' He releases 4 magic missiles at the remaining large creature (Green).

[dice=Intense Magic Missile Force Dmg]4d4+3

A Knowledge check for them? Arcana +16, Dungeoneering +15, Nature +10, Planes +10, Religion +14. If it is another then let me know as I have other Knowledge skills.
[dice=Recall Knowledge]1d20 + whichever from above.

The things are skinstitches. They are constructs made of skin, hide, with guts of hay. Think frankenstein's monster, or perhaps a flesh-covered scarecrow.

You get two bits of information about them.


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics
Frantino Kaddren wrote:


[dice=first attack]1d20 + 13, [dice=damage]1d10 + 15

[dice=second attack]1d20 + 6, [dice=damage]1d10 + 15
[dice=crit confirm?]1d20 + 6, [dice=x3 crit damage]2d10 + 30

Then he'll spend another point of mental focus to put up another mind barrier.

So just a little bit of dmg then.


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics

WELCOME TO THE GAUNTLET!

ROUND THREE
—------------------------------------------------
Ezranadir: magic missiles; knowledge check
Nasir: makes Fort save
Ayita:
Yazhi:

Frantino: mega attack; x3 crit; mental barrier
Doc: life links Ayita
SWARM red:
FRANKENSTEIN green:

BOLD may go!

STATUS
-----------------------
Ezranadir (42/42hp) ||
Ayita (52/58hp) || -11+5=-6hp
Yazhi (51/51hp) || dmg negated by DR
Doc (43/48hp) || -5hp **POISONED**
Frantino (59/59hp) || dmg negated by mental barrier
Roscoe (45/45hp) ||
Nasir (59/60hp) || -1hp

CONDITIONS
-----------------------
POISONED: -1 wisdom


Male Qadiran Human Fighter 7 | HP 60/60 | AC 26 Temp 26| FF 24 Temp 24| Tch/Temp 12|CMD 22| Init+3 | Perc+2 | F+8 R+5 W+4| Speed 20 [dice=Scimitar]1d20+13[/dice] [dice=Dmg]1d6+7[/dice] [dice=Shield Bash]1d20+13[/dice] [dice=Dmg]1d6+6[/dice] Two Weapon Att -2 to hit

Nasir steps out of the roach swarm and swings at the remaining large creature.
Fort Save: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Scimitar: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 26
Dmg: 1d6 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

Dark Archive

Male Elf Wizard-Evoker 7th
Stats:
HP: 40/42 | Init +9 | AC: 17(21); FF: 14(18); T: 17(21); CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +6, W: +6; Speed: 30';

Knowledge Information - Weaknesses &/or Immunities/Defenses.

Silver Crusade

F Shoanti | Hawk | Wolfdog Hunter 6/Rogue 1|HP 58/58|AC 17 CMD 20 | FF 14 |T 13|Init+2|F+8 R+10 W+5 (+1 v fear) | Spd 30 | Perc(+17)+2(alert)+1(trps)+3(bright) | +1Earthbkr +8(2d6+5) | Yazhi |HP 51/51| AC 25(ma) |FF,T 14,17| F+7 R+8 W+3 | +1Bite (mf, bull) +10(d6+8) bleed

Ayita and Yazhi each 5-foot up to the construct and attack.

Silver Crusade

F Shoanti | Hawk | Wolfdog Hunter 6/Rogue 1|HP 58/58|AC 17 CMD 20 | FF 14 |T 13|Init+2|F+8 R+10 W+5 (+1 v fear) | Spd 30 | Perc(+17)+2(alert)+1(trps)+3(bright) | +1Earthbkr +8(2d6+5) | Yazhi |HP 51/51| AC 25(ma) |FF,T 14,17| F+7 R+8 W+3 | +1Bite (mf, bull) +10(d6+8) bleed

Ayita attacks: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Ayita damage: 2d6 + 5 ⇒ (5, 1) + 5 = 11

Yazhi attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13
Yazhi damage: 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13 bleed


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics

The combined might of all the heroes utterly destroys the thing. It explodes into a cloud of slashed flesh, hide and hay!

But... but.. the cloud is not just hay, its also... cockroaches. A huge swarm of cockroaches! The swarm flows over the heroes.

@FRANTINO @NASIR @AYITA red Swarm Dmg: 1d6 ⇒ 4
@FRANTINO @YAZHI @AYITA green Swarm Dmg: 1d6 ⇒ 5

Two saves for Ayita.
One save for Nasir.

Yazhi and Frantino avoid the dmg and the save.

Distraction DC14:
On a failure the creatures damaged by the swarm are nauseated for 1 round. Creatures with the nauseated condition experience stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics

WELCOME TO THE GAUNTLET!

ROUND THREE
—------------------------------------------------
Ezranadir: magic missiles; knowledge check
Nasir: makes Fort save; attack, hit! need another DC14
Ayita: attack, hit! need another DC14
Yazhi: attack, miss!
Frantino: mega attack; x3 crit; mental barrier
Doc: life links Ayita
SWARM red: attack frantino, nasir, ayita
FRANKENSTEIN green: DEAD
SWARM green: attack yazhi, ayita, frantino

FINAL

STATUS
-----------------------
Ezranadir (42/42hp) ||
Ayita (43/58hp) || -11+5-9=-15hp
Yazhi (51/51hp) || dmg negated by DR
Doc (43/48hp) || -5hp **POISONED**
Frantino (59/59hp) || dmg negated by mental barrier
Roscoe (45/45hp) ||
Nasir (59/60hp) || -1-4=-5hp

CONDITIONS
-----------------------
POISONED: -1 wisdom


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics

WELCOME TO THE GAUNTLET!

ROUND FOUR
—------------------------------------------------
Ezranadir:
Nasir:
need another DC14
Ayita: need another DC14
Yazhi:
Frantino:

Doc: life links Ayita
SWARM red:
SWARM green:

BOLD may go!

STATUS
-----------------------
Ezranadir (42/42hp) ||
Ayita (48/58hp) || -11+5-9+5 = -10hp
Yazhi (51/51hp) || dmg negated by DR
Doc (43/48hp) || -5hp **POISONED**
Frantino (59/59hp) || dmg negated by mental barrier
Roscoe (45/45hp) ||
Nasir (59/60hp) || -1-4 = -5hp

CONDITIONS
-----------------------
POISONED: -1 wisdom

Silver Crusade

F Shoanti | Hawk | Wolfdog Hunter 6/Rogue 1|HP 58/58|AC 17 CMD 20 | FF 14 |T 13|Init+2|F+8 R+10 W+5 (+1 v fear) | Spd 30 | Perc(+17)+2(alert)+1(trps)+3(bright) | +1Earthbkr +8(2d6+5) | Yazhi |HP 51/51| AC 25(ma) |FF,T 14,17| F+7 R+8 W+3 | +1Bite (mf, bull) +10(d6+8) bleed

Ayita fort save: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Dark Archive

Male Elf Wizard-Evoker 7th
Stats:
HP: 40/42 | Init +9 | AC: 17(21); FF: 14(18); T: 17(21); CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +6, W: +6; Speed: 30';

Ezranadir calls out, "I don't think I can help with those swarms unless all of you want me to drop a fireball on you. If all of you move to the other side of the room, I may be able to wall them off with fire."

Ezranadir will ready to cast a Wall/Ring of Fire in between the swarms & the party if everyone moves away & before the swarm moves.


M Half-elf Occultist 6/Investigator 1 | HP 59/59 | AC 20 temp 20 | T 11 FF 19 | CMD 20 | F+10, R+8, W+10 | Init +2 | Speed 30 | Perc +16 darkvision | Sen Mot +10 | 14 Mental focus: 4/6 abjuration, 2/2 divination, 6/6 transmutation | Inspiration 3/3 | +2 Halberd +13/+6, 1d10 + 15 / x3 | [dice=+2 halberd w/ PA]1d20 + 13[/dice], [dice=damage]1d10 + 15[/dice] | Spells remaining: 1st 4/5 2nd 4/4

Knowing that swarms are best affected by area of effect spells, Frantino will follow Ezranadir's directions and clear the area by the swarms. He'll pull out a flask of alchemist's fire but not throw it yet.

Silver Crusade

F Shoanti | Hawk | Wolfdog Hunter 6/Rogue 1|HP 58/58|AC 17 CMD 20 | FF 14 |T 13|Init+2|F+8 R+10 W+5 (+1 v fear) | Spd 30 | Perc(+17)+2(alert)+1(trps)+3(bright) | +1Earthbkr +8(2d6+5) | Yazhi |HP 51/51| AC 25(ma) |FF,T 14,17| F+7 R+8 W+3 | +1Bite (mf, bull) +10(d6+8) bleed

Ayita also clears the area also (I'm not sure if she's in a legal spot in Roll20) and asks Yazhi to try to distract the BUGZ. Yazhi is quite quick...

Ayita then begins to cast, "Summon Nature's Ally II". (Small air elemental.)

Yazhi crouches down, wagging her tail in anticipation of leading the bugs astray, teeth bared at her enemy.

Shield Companion:
The subject gains a +1 deflection bonus to AC and a +1 resistance bonus on saves. Additionally, the subject takes only half damage from all wounds and attacks (including those dealt by special abilities) that deal hit point damage.


Male Qadiran Human Fighter 7 | HP 60/60 | AC 26 Temp 26| FF 24 Temp 24| Tch/Temp 12|CMD 22| Init+3 | Perc+2 | F+8 R+5 W+4| Speed 20 [dice=Scimitar]1d20+13[/dice] [dice=Dmg]1d6+7[/dice] [dice=Shield Bash]1d20+13[/dice] [dice=Dmg]1d6+6[/dice] Two Weapon Att -2 to hit

Nasir hears the call for retreat, falls back with the others in the arena, and readies an attack just in case any of the swarms close with him.

Fort Save: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

Dark Archive

Male Elf Wizard-Evoker 7th
Stats:
HP: 40/42 | Init +9 | AC: 17(21); FF: 14(18); T: 17(21); CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +6, W: +6; Speed: 30';

After everyone has backed away, Ezranadir drops an Intense 15'R Ring of Fire around the swarms. No save.

Overcome SR: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25

Intense RoF Fire Dmg: 2d4 + 3 + 1d4 ⇒ (3, 4) + 3 + (3) = 13

All swarms within 10' take 2d4 dmg & additional 1d4 if beyond 10' each round. If they are still alive & pass through, they take an additional 2d6+7. I dropped Grease in a ring as There was no other way for me to indicate the ring. The Fireball template was too large. I also could not see the top half so I don't know where those got dropped.

RoF Fire Dmg if passing through: 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (4, 6) + 7 = 17


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics
Ayita of the Hawk Clan wrote:
[dice=Ayita fort save]1d20+8

FAIL! You are nauseated!

For the next round, all you can do is a single move.


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics
Ezranadir wrote:

After everyone has backed away, Ezranadir drops an Intense 15'R Ring of Fire around the swarms. No save.

[dice=Overcome SR]1d20+10

[dice=Intense RoF Fire Dmg]2d4+3+1d4

All swarms within 10' take 2d4 dmg & additional 1d4 if beyond 10' each round. If they are still alive & pass through, they take an additional 2d6+7. I dropped Grease in a ring as There was no other way for me to indicate the ring. The Fireball template was too large. I also could not see the top half so I don't know where those got dropped.

[dice=RoF Fire Dmg if passing through]2d6+7

Super cool! I found a ring of fire template and put it on instead of grease!

But... I think initial damage is slightly off. Intense RoF Fire Dmg: 2d4 + 3 + 1d4 ⇒ (3, 4) + 3 + (3) = 13 10

The extra 1d4 is for anybody beyond 10ft, but still within 20ft. Seems logical. Closer you are, 2d4. Further away, 1d4. Beyond 20ft, 0d4.

ALSO: swarms are vulnerable (+50%) to AoE, therefore, 10*1.5 = 15pts of dmg.

I assume you cast it so the INNER wall emits the heat, thus sparing all other nearby friends, adventurers, heroes, animal companions, etc. :)


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics

The ring of fire will kill the swarms in either 1 or 2 rounds. So, anything anybody wants to do in the following round that can't wait? Otherwise... COMBAT OVER THROUGH THE MIRACLE OF EVOCATION MAGIC!

Dark Archive

Male Elf Wizard-Evoker 7th
Stats:
HP: 40/42 | Init +9 | AC: 17(21); FF: 14(18); T: 17(21); CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +6, W: +6; Speed: 30';
GM Derek wrote:

The extra 1d4 is for anybody beyond 10ft, but still within 20ft. Seems logical. Closer you are, 2d4. Further away, 1d4. Beyond 20ft, 0d4.

I assume you cast it so the INNER wall emits the heat, thus sparing all other nearby friends, adventurers, heroes, animal companions, etc. :)

Yes, fire goes to the interior. It is a ring. Damage should be correct. The ones that are closer (within 10' of the front ring wall) take 2d4 but they are also beyond 10' but within 20' of the opposite back ring wall so they take additional 1d4.


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics
Ezranadir wrote:
GM Derek wrote:

The extra 1d4 is for anybody beyond 10ft, but still within 20ft. Seems logical. Closer you are, 2d4. Further away, 1d4. Beyond 20ft, 0d4.

I assume you cast it so the INNER wall emits the heat, thus sparing all other nearby friends, adventurers, heroes, animal companions, etc. :)
Yes, fire goes to the interior. It is a ring. Damage should be correct. The ones that are closer (within 10' of the front ring wall) take 2d4 but they are also beyond 10' but within 20' of the opposite back ring wall so they take additional 1d4.

Mmmm. That's an interesting interpretation.

Dark Archive

Male Elf Wizard-Evoker 7th
Stats:
HP: 40/42 | Init +9 | AC: 17(21); FF: 14(18); T: 17(21); CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +6, W: +6; Speed: 30';
GM Derek wrote:
Mmmm. That's an interesting interpretation.

Think of it this way. You are facing the wall of fire and are taking 2d4 (8 max) dmg to your front but at the same time to your back, there is another wall which is further away but dealing 1d4 (4 max) dmg. If I cast 2 separate walls of fire then there would be the same results. If you look at the environmental rules, a room on fire would do moderate damage which is 4d6 (24 max)-6d6 (36 max) fire dmg which allows a save for half. If the room is completely engulfed in fire it would do major damage of 8d6 (48 max)-12d6 (72 max) fire dmg which allows a save for half. A fireball spell has a maximum of 10d6 (60 max) fire dmg which engulfs the whole area and allows a save for half. Just bringing this up because I may be using it a lot more & want a ruling on how you are going to interpret it. I have also seen it allowed in PFS2 play. If there is no benefit between a wall and a ring then what's the point.

On another note if there was only one opponent and I cast a 10' ring of fire, would the enemy take only 2d4 (8 max) or 4d4 (16 max) fire dmg? I'm not asking about taking dmg front, back, right side & left side for 8d4 (32 max) fire dmg even though it does equal the mid-point dmg a room on fire deals.


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics
Ezranadir wrote:
GM Derek wrote:
Mmmm. That's an interesting interpretation.
Think of it this way. You are facing the wall of fire and are taking 2d4 (8 max) dmg to your front but at the same time to your back, there is another wall which is further away but dealing 1d4 (4 max) dmg. If I cast 2 separate walls of fire then there would be the same results. If you look at the environmental rules, a room on fire would do moderate damage which is 4d6 (24 max)-6d6 (36 max) fire dmg which allows a save for half. If the room is completely engulfed in fire it would do major damage of 8d6 (48 max)-12d6 (72 max) fire dmg which allows a save for half. A fireball spell has a maximum of 10d6 (60 max) fire dmg which engulfs the whole area and allows a save for half. Just bringing this up because I may be using it a lot more & want a ruling on how you are going to interpret it. I have also seen it allowed in PFS2 play. If there is no benefit between a wall and a ring then what's the point.

The 2d4 damage happens once each round, followed by 2d6+lvl dmg from crossing the barrier. If you’re further away, then it causes less dmg. I think if making it into a circular foe-toaster that caused more dmg was an option, they would’ve called it out.

Ring vs wall allows for shaping your battlefield in different ways. And a circle can confine foes, as you’ve seen. And persistent (at least for 1rnd/lvl) and no save? WoF is a pretty good battlefield control spell. Circle or not.


M Half-elf Occultist 6/Investigator 1 | HP 59/59 | AC 20 temp 20 | T 11 FF 19 | CMD 20 | F+10, R+8, W+10 | Init +2 | Speed 30 | Perc +16 darkvision | Sen Mot +10 | 14 Mental focus: 4/6 abjuration, 2/2 divination, 6/6 transmutation | Inspiration 3/3 | +2 Halberd +13/+6, 1d10 + 15 / x3 | [dice=+2 halberd w/ PA]1d20 + 13[/dice], [dice=damage]1d10 + 15[/dice] | Spells remaining: 1st 4/5 2nd 4/4

It appears that the ring/wall will persist for 7 rounds (not dismissible) after Ezranadir stops concentrating on it. Frantino will cast detect magic and, assuming that another creature hasn't been summoned, will wait and then move forward to analyze the summoning circle and see if it can be disabled.

Perception: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (4) + 16 = 20 + 1 vs traps

Silver Crusade

F Shoanti | Hawk | Wolfdog Hunter 6/Rogue 1|HP 58/58|AC 17 CMD 20 | FF 14 |T 13|Init+2|F+8 R+10 W+5 (+1 v fear) | Spd 30 | Perc(+17)+2(alert)+1(trps)+3(bright) | +1Earthbkr +8(2d6+5) | Yazhi |HP 51/51| AC 25(ma) |FF,T 14,17| F+7 R+8 W+3 | +1Bite (mf, bull) +10(d6+8) bleed

During that time, 10 pts of hp damage from Ayita would likely transfer to Doc (who might want to heal.)

She will also look at the summoning circle.

Ayita perception: 1d20 + 17 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 17 + 1 + 2 = 36


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics

The metal bars surrounding the western balcony are thick. Perhaps 2 inches each. They are made of iron with a 6 inch gap between each bar.

As the final cockroach dies a fiery death the bars lower into the ground, disappearing.

Frantino's detect magic shows that the aquamarine gemstone sitting on the
pedestal radiates a moderate aura of transmutation magic. It is likely worth 1,000gp.

spellcraft DC20 Spellcraft:
It as some sort of magical key.

Frantino's half-elven eyes allow him to see down the hallway to the west, revealing a bronze gate smashed open.

Moved Ayita and Frantino onto the balcony, assuming they'd wanna look at the plinth and gemstone.


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics
Ayita of the Hawk Clan wrote:

During that time, 10 pts of hp damage from Ayita would likely transfer to Doc (who might want to heal.)

She will also look at the summoning circle.

[dice=Ayita perception]1d20+17+1+2

The summoning circle is barely visible now. Only Ayita's careful examination can find it. It pulses quietly gently, waiting... waiting...


Hollow Mountain Roll20 |Magnimar Pics
Frantino Kaddren wrote:

It appears that the ring/wall will persist for 7 rounds (not dismissible) after Ezranadir stops concentrating on it. Frantino will cast detect magic and, assuming that another creature hasn't been summoned, will wait and then move forward to analyze the summoning circle and see if it can be disabled.

[dice=Perception]1d20 + 16 + 1 vs traps

No traps that Frantino can find. But he assumes that the iron bars will, at some point, reset.


M Half-elf Occultist 6/Investigator 1 | HP 59/59 | AC 20 temp 20 | T 11 FF 19 | CMD 20 | F+10, R+8, W+10 | Init +2 | Speed 30 | Perc +16 darkvision | Sen Mot +10 | 14 Mental focus: 4/6 abjuration, 2/2 divination, 6/6 transmutation | Inspiration 3/3 | +2 Halberd +13/+6, 1d10 + 15 / x3 | [dice=+2 halberd w/ PA]1d20 + 13[/dice], [dice=damage]1d10 + 15[/dice] | Spells remaining: 1st 4/5 2nd 4/4

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 12 + 1d6 ⇒ (13) + 12 + (2) = 27

"This gem seems to be some sort of magical key in addition to its intrinsic value. We should put it in the bag of holding, or one of us can just put it in a belt pouch until we figure out where we need to use it. Of more immediate concern is the smashed gate just down this hallway! You should get up here quickly, I'm not sure when these heavy bars are going to raise back up and separate us."

Before one of us picks up the aquamarine, he'll take a look at it to make sure this won't set off a trap or cause the bars to rise out of the floor, and he'll ask for Ayita's expert analysis.

Perception: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (8) + 16 = 24 +1 trapfinding

6,351 to 6,400 of 6,655 << first < prev | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Secrets of Roderic's Cove All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.