[OutPost III, PFS(2)] PFS(2) 1-10 Tarnbreaker's Trail (Inactive)

Game Master Blake's Tiger

Muster Sheet | Maps & Things


51 to 100 of 236 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Horizon Hunters

M Goblin Sorcerer 1: Spd:25, HP:13/13, AC:13, Fort:4, Ref:6, Will:4, Per:2 Darkvision, Stealth:6

Mordack will find out what he can about the race, the area and tips on winning

diplomacy:
diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 15/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Barb will avail herself of the chance to purchase a climbing kit.

If the previous request to use Survival or Scouting Lore is not allowed, Barb's diplomacy is +0

Horizon Hunters

Female Half Elf Sorcerer/Lvl 2|Abilities: Assurance(Arcana), Blood Magic (Elemental), Component Substitution, Experienced Professional, Low Light Vision

As Tam Sa Gi approaches the Two Houses team, she sees Leif smiling and waving at her "Hello, again."

"We hope you take time to enjoy the scenery," Oluf immediately chimes in, "So many take this race too seriously and miss the beauty of the land."

"Do take it seriously, though," Leif adds. "The wilderness is no place to be caught daydreaming."

"You know what I meant!" Oluf says and Tam Sa Gi watches as they begin to tossle Leif's hair.

She smiles, amused by their affectionate play and obvious ease of social interaction (something she knows she lacks) and their apparent comfort level at the beginning of the race. "I hope to have time after the race to take in the beauty of this place; only a fool stops to smell the flowers while being chased by a bear as my Master used to say." She looks around for a moment, "You did offer to provide advice when we were getting onto the sleigh earlier and, because you've run this course successfully before and you're from here, well, only a fool would not at get as much information as they could." She smiles at the two of them. "We've been informed to follow the course as it is shown on the map and that it will be fairly well plotted; I'm assuming by markers of some sort? What I'm wondering about is the terrain...." Tam Sa Gi pauses and looks down at her feet as if wondering if she should bring up a weakness to an opponent, "I'm sure you've noticed my colleagues. Several are slight in stature, one is more built for a lecture hall at a university in Absalom than here in the wilderness.... Don't get me wrong, they all have their strengths and all are here for specific reasons, bring something to the team but, as we all know certain obstacles are more difficult to traverse than others for some. And I'm wondering what type of terrain: deep river crossings, mountainous climbs we'll have to cover, so that I can insure my teams safety." Diplomacy: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4


AtAT | Tarnbreaker | | Lost on the Spirit Road | url= | Revolution on the Riverside | url=

"Well, they reversed the route this year in honor of the new linnorm king Nankou," Oluf says. "So it's going to get increasingly difficult as opposed to easier as we progress."

"There will be a river crossing for sure," Leif adds. "That part's tradition, but the other challenges change from year to year. Your biggest enemy is going to be the weather and the cold. Stay warm. Do not try to cut off of the marked trails."

Feldspar, meanwhile, organizes the trek rules and maps very well, but learns no hidden secrets.

Barb approaches the Wyrding Wayfinders. A pale-haired Ulfen woman looks her over and asks, "Is that what you're wearing?"

"Don't mind Faergim," a red-haired halfling woman says. "She's just teasing."

Chatting with the Wyrding Wayfinders, Barb learns of a team of lycanthropes that competed in a previous trek who nearly won, but they had miscalculated the phases of the moon and ended up having to be rescued from the middle of the wilderness after their wild impulses took them off the trail in the middle of the night.

Mordack sets out and interviews the race officials. He gets a good sense of the terrain for the first leg of the journey and learns from a marshal who has had a bit too much to drink while waiting for the start of the race that the first challenge is to steal a bell from the neck of a caribou from the middle of a herd of caribou. (Critical Success)

The race officials call the teams over to the starting line. Two officials hold either end of a thick-braided rope with wooden handholds at either end carved in the shape of a linnorm head. Leif moves along the team, checking in with each of them. Once he is assured that each team is ready, he signals to the officials. The officials drop the rope and the teams are off!

The first several hundred yards are open field as you set out from Kalsgard into the wild. The weather is relatively mild (mild cold), and as a result a fog is forming over the snow.

Running the Balgirdtrek:

Each of you must make a skill check to represent how well you progress along the trail. You can use any skill as long as you can reasonably justify it, and I encourage you to roleplay it.

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 15/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Barb tries to keep an eye on her companions and use her strength to aid the group. She will carry a pack for a while if someone shows signs of tiring, offer a hand to help another up a step or short climb, and make sure the group maintains a good but steady pace, knowing that if they start out too fast they will find themselves fatigued.

Watching her companion from previous missions start to flag as the group pushes on, Barb offers, "Feldspar, my friend, let me carry that pack for you a while. I will care for it well while you rest your shoulders and lighten your load."

After careful observation of the team, Barb has noted some of their strengths and address the dwarf, "Frankie, you look remarkably strong, as I suspected. I think it best if we shoulder some of the burdens for our companions during the long stretches for they will surely bring other skills to shine as we face the various challenges on this trail."

Barb holds out a hand to Mordack as they traverse a steep incline, "Please, allow me to help rectify the shortcomings of the trail makers, who seem to think that all of us will have long limbs or springs in our boots."

Athletics:

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

Horizon Hunters

Female Half Elf Sorcerer/Lvl 2|Abilities: Assurance(Arcana), Blood Magic (Elemental), Component Substitution, Experienced Professional, Low Light Vision

Tam Sa Gi also, recognizing as Barb has that this is a marathon not a sprint, uses her agility. =Agility: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14

In her past mission, she was chosen to cut a path through rough terrain due to her knowledge of nature and survival skills, (both the same skill level +6) so she attempts to find an easier path through the terrain here for her teammates. Nature: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

"This appears to be the best way through."

Envoy's Alliance

LG (male) human (Taldan) Wizard 1| HP 16/16 | AC 15 (16 with Mage Armor)| F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc(T) +4 | Stealth(T) +5 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Feldspar nods to Barb. "My pack is relatively light, even with the little squirmer resting inside." He pokes at the side of his pack and you all can hear a disgruntled sounding "Mrr" as his familiar, Nugget, complains. "If it comes down to it, we can split some stuff out later if needed. For now, though, best if I keep the little... darling with me."

He looks at the road ahead and then pulls out the map and his writing kit, making a few quick notes on a spare bit of paper to help him remember landmarks. Storing the map safely, he keeps the notes in hand as he attempts to use his Survival training to keep the team on the path.

Survival: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Horizon Hunters

M Goblin Sorcerer 1: Spd:25, HP:13/13, AC:13, Fort:4, Ref:6, Will:4, Per:2 Darkvision, Stealth:6

Mordack will trick people into telling him where the checkpoints are, so he knows when and where he can cut corners. He travels off the path if it is a straighter line and there is no checkpoint between the bends. He also asks about the mountains and hills to use terrain to his advantage, like if If travel up this mountain, I can cheat and sled ride down here and be at place X 20 minutes faster, etc.diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 15/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Any time that Mordack tries to leave the path or cheat, she will try to intervene and "gently" remind him that the rules need to be followed and the reputation of the Pathfinder Society is more important than winning.

Horizon Hunters

Female Varisian Human Monk 2 HP 6/30 AC 20 F+7 R+10 W+6 PercⓉ +4 StealthⓊ +4 Speed 25' Focus 0/1 Hero Points 0 Active Conditions None

Carmelizzia has no trouble carrying her pack, and she helps push or pull the sleigh as needed.

Athletics:

I thought of using Acrobatics but I haven’t really found a justification for it, my idea was looking more like perception
Athletics: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

Vigilant Seal

NG (female) Dwarf Fighter 1 | HP 22/22 | AC 17 (19 with Shield Raised) | F+7__R+6__W+5 | Perc(E) +7 (darkvision) | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

As soon as the rope drops, Frankie starts off at a respectable jogging pace. In an attempt to reassure her teammates that her stubby legs will cause no hindrance to their speed, she says to them, "Let's all be relieved this wasn't a sprint. We dwarves are not exactly natural sprinters! Not very dangerous over short distances, but a cross-country race, that is more our tin of ale!"

Athletics:
1d20+7

Vigilant Seal

NG (female) Dwarf Fighter 1 | HP 22/22 | AC 17 (19 with Shield Raised) | F+7__R+6__W+5 | Perc(E) +7 (darkvision) | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

Athletics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Horizon Hunters

Female Half Elf Sorcerer/Lvl 2|Abilities: Assurance(Arcana), Blood Magic (Elemental), Component Substitution, Experienced Professional, Low Light Vision

Tam Sa Gi also reminds Mordack about the rules and continues to attempt to use her survival and nature skills to find the best possible trail for the group. Survival: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13Acrobatics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

I'm logically looking at it as her using a combination of skills to look for a trail rather than cut a trail; her dexterity in combination with her knowledge of nature and survival would be what would help her find a safe and viable path for the group. In other words, she's not a big dumb brute that would cut a trail for the group; she'd use her brains and her agility to see what was already easier to get through.... hence the roll.


AtAT | Tarnbreaker | | Lost on the Spirit Road | url= | Revolution on the Riverside | url=

Tam Sa Gi manages a rapid pace, balancing along treacherous terrain without slowing. Mordack is quickly out paced by the other trekkers and so there is no one left to tease hints from (social skills are not going to help you in the overland checks). Carmelizzia displays her physical strength pulling the sled through banks of snow that would have slowed less athletic people. Frankie bulls through every snowbank, fallen branch, and pile of rocks in her path like they were children's toys, leaving a clearer path for her companions to follow.

Despite your respectable performance, all five of the other teams arrive at the check point before you. Without Trace or Fail and Fangs of Remorhaz have both accumulated an impressive lead and pressed on toward the next check point.

A small, frigid stream runs between the dense pines, opening onto a frozen pond. To the east, a few small columns of smoke rise above the trees from several small campfires. Bluetongue Brawlers, Two Houses, and Wyrding Wayfinders all rest in front of their own fire. To the north, a dozen caribou walk along the surface of the ice, snuffling and pawing at the thin grasses poking up from the snowy shoreline. As a race official watches over the small herd, the wind carries the gentle sound of bells.

Marshals meet you as you enter the check point, examining you for injury, fatigue, and broken equipment.

The marshal explains, "This trial is meant to recreate the events surrounding the loss of Balgird’s beloved pack horse. When the steed was lost in a terrible blizzard, Balgird tracked a herd of caribou across the tundra, and watched their behavior from a distance, looking for one that he might be able to tame. He spent more than a week trying to get close to the herd, and narrowly escaped death by hundreds of stampeding hooves before he finally managed to sling his saddle bags over the animal’s back and lead his new companion out of the herd and into the taiga.

"Your task, if you wish to undertake it, is to steal a bell from one of the caribou in the field."

Check Point

You each may:
Attempt the trial. It requires a Perception check (failure simply makes the following check harder not impossible) to find the bell followed by a Nature or Stealth check to get close enough to take the bell.
AND
Gather Information (diplomacy) from the other teams still at the check point OR Make an Impression (diplomacy) on one of the other teams still at the camp.

You may also ask a Marshal permission to press on ahead.

Horizon Hunters

Female Varisian Human Monk 2 HP 6/30 AC 20 F+7 R+10 W+6 PercⓉ +4 StealthⓊ +4 Speed 25' Focus 0/1 Hero Points 0 Active Conditions None

Carmelizzia will give a try at caribou bell picking. She approaches then tries to locate the bell by sound.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

She then tries to approach the caribou that has the bell she thinks she’s hearing silently.

Stealth: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

The sound of ice cracking under her feet makes the caribou run away.

I assume an 8 is a failure.

She goes back to the camp and goes to the Wyrding Wayfinders team to have a talk. She proposes a little dancing to lift the spirits.

Using Impressive Performance feat to use Perform to make an impression.
Dancing: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

Vigilant Seal

NG (female) Dwarf Fighter 1 | HP 22/22 | AC 17 (19 with Shield Raised) | F+7__R+6__W+5 | Perc(E) +7 (darkvision) | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

After hearing the Marshal explain the Trial, Frankie eagerly volunteers to give it a try
Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
However she has difficulty even locating the bell. As she begins making her way through the caribou...
Stealth: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
...she realizes that in her eagerness - she made a horrible mistake by not first removing her gear and pack prior to attempting the trial. hearing the clanking of her flail against her shield,she realizes she may as well have been banging pans together. ashamed of her incompetence on this trial. she sullenly returns to the group's camp.

Horizon Hunters

Female Half Elf Sorcerer/Lvl 2|Abilities: Assurance(Arcana), Blood Magic (Elemental), Component Substitution, Experienced Professional, Low Light Vision

Tam Sa Gi decides to give the challenge a try; she approaches the caribou from downwind of them so they cannot smell her scent Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
However, this angle also make harder for hear the bell. She risks it and attempts to stealth her way into the herd -- hoping the one with the bell is close by. Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

I've no idea if that is a success or not, given my fail perception.

After Tam Sa Gi is finished with her task, she picks up her things and heads over to the Bluetongue Brawlers to socialize and gain information about the upcoming leg of the race. Diplomacy: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

Envoy's Alliance

LG (male) human (Taldan) Wizard 1| HP 16/16 | AC 15 (16 with Mage Armor)| F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc(T) +4 | Stealth(T) +5 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

If no one else on the team has succeeded, Feldspar will attempt to claim the bell, first watching the other attempts to try to get any hint of what to do.

Perception to find bell: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Stealth: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

He will also go try to chat with the Two Houses team and see if they know anything about the next day.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16

Feldspar will make sure to return in time to gather wood for a fire and set up the tents.


AtAT | Tarnbreaker | | Lost on the Spirit Road | url= | Revolution on the Riverside | url=

Carmelizzia spies a caribou with a bell hanging from his neck. She tries to sneak into the herd to get to it. Unfortunately, she keeps spooking various caribou, which causes the herd to shift erratically until she finally gives up in frustration. Frankie also spies a caribou with a bell around its neck, but he fares about as well as Carmelizzia and finally gives up. Feldspar can only guess at where the bells are, following the sound he thinks he hears and wanders aimlessly among the herd until he is called out by the marshals.

Tam Sa Gi fails to see the bell, but she braves the herd while listening for the tinkling of a bell. She moves slowly and surely and expertly slips through the herd without spooking a single caribou. Finally, she hears a tinkle to her right and there is a caribou grazing with a collar and several small sleigh bells loosely tied around it. She slowly reaches out and snatches one down.

One accolade for the Pathfinder Society Initiates!

While the rest of their team debates whether or not to attempt the trial, Tam Sa Gi and Feldspar go to speak with some of the other teams. Carmelizzia spends a fair amount of time performing for the Wyrding Wayfinders. They are polite enough, but she does not seem to make much headway.

Both Feldspar and Tam Sa Gi manages to learn a bit about the upcoming trail, which should make their trek easier. (Success)

By the time Feldspar and Tam Sa Gi return to your camp site, you all can see dark clouds gathering on the distant horizon.

Horizon Hunters

M Goblin Sorcerer 1: Spd:25, HP:13/13, AC:13, Fort:4, Ref:6, Will:4, Per:2 Darkvision, Stealth:6

Mordack will also ask the other teams if more checks are needed
diplomay: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8 Oh, come on.

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 15/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Three skills that Barb is weak in. If there was a way to use Survival or even Scouting Lore for the challenge, she would attempt it. Otherwise ...

Barb makes sure to stand watch on the team's supplies and equipment while the others are busy with the challenge and socialising.

Perception (if needed):

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8


AtAT | Tarnbreaker | | Lost on the Spirit Road | url= | Revolution on the Riverside | url=

Mordack learns conflicting information from the race officials. However, both Tam Sa Gi's and Feldspar's information matches and was obtained from generally friendlier teams, so it is a safe bet that Mordack was given misinformation.

The marshals call everyone in to their camps. "There is a storm approaching, which will likely last through at least tomorrow, so it is best if everyone here stays for the night. You will all be free to set out at sunrise."

The evening and night passes uneventfully (as far as anyone is aware).

The morning arrives with a bitter chill on the wind and stinging flakes of snow--at least, you assume they are snowflakes and not the tiny ice knives flung at your eyes by vengeful winter sprites that they feel like. You are certain that your bodies would pay a price if they were not protected in the cold weather clothing that you obtained.

Hero Point: +1 Tam Sa Gi for being the first to snag a bell from the caribou (Note: this is not the criteria for HP assignment each challenge so don't feel like you need to rush to get your posts up).

Overland Travel Check. Each of you must make a check. Choose a skill that you believe will be helpful in pressing onward. Reminder: social skills don't help with overland checks.

Envoy's Alliance

LG (male) human (Taldan) Wizard 1| HP 16/16 | AC 15 (16 with Mage Armor)| F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc(T) +4 | Stealth(T) +5 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

If Tam Sa Gi continues to blaze a trail using her Agility, Feldspar will attempt to Follow the Expert and use his Acrobatics training to emulate her movements along the trail.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

If she has switched tactics, or if Acrobatics is not an appropriate skill to attempt this with, he will soldier on with his Survival training.

Survival: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

Vigilant Seal

NG (female) Dwarf Fighter 1 | HP 22/22 | AC 17 (19 with Shield Raised) | F+7__R+6__W+5 | Perc(E) +7 (darkvision) | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

Hoping to put her blunder at the trial behind her, and prove to her allies her worth, Frankie offers to push the sleigh with whatever gear people want to toss in.
Athletics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 15/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Barb takes a turn pushing the sleigh and offers a helping hand to team members whenever appropriate.

Atheltics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

Horizon Hunters

Female Half Elf Sorcerer/Lvl 2|Abilities: Assurance(Arcana), Blood Magic (Elemental), Component Substitution, Experienced Professional, Low Light Vision

Tam Sa Gi, noting the change in weather conditions, utilizes her agility to attempt to find the best path to take the sleigh. Acrobatics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

Horizon Hunters

Female Varisian Human Monk 2 HP 6/30 AC 20 F+7 R+10 W+6 PercⓉ +4 StealthⓊ +4 Speed 25' Focus 0/1 Hero Points 0 Active Conditions None

Carmelizzia is trying to use patches of ices to push the sleigh faster but needs to balance it so that it does not fall over.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Horizon Hunters

M Goblin Sorcerer 1: Spd:25, HP:13/13, AC:13, Fort:4, Ref:6, Will:4, Per:2 Darkvision, Stealth:6

Mordack studies the land and the area to see how he can get through this. survival: 2 + 1d20 ⇒ 2 + (4) = 6 If we are in the mountainous area of the part, I use mountain lore instead of survival, but I suspect we are not up in the mountains yet. If we are add another +2 to that roll.

Really, nothing above a 5 so far in my rolls.


AtAT | Tarnbreaker | | Lost on the Spirit Road | url= | Revolution on the Riverside | url=

I'll give you Mountain Lore, Mordack, and that moves you to a Failure rather than a Critical Failure.

The raging winter storm severely impedes your progress compared to the relatively permissive weather yesterday. Shortly before you reach the second checkpoint, the blizzard is starting to lose ferocity. Once you finally make it to the camp, you find only two other teams there: Two Houses and Wyrding Wayfinders.

The tall pines ahead are heavy with snow, and the forest is quiet. Ahead, officials for the Balgirdtrek stand around a roaring fire. Several campsites have been cleared nearby as clerics stand ready to examine and treat any injured racers. Beyond the fire and campsites, in a small, raised clearing, is a tall, thin pole carved with the intertwining necks of a Tarn Linnorm. Atop the pole rests is a small platform, an oval shape resting within it.

You are immediately beset upon by a trio of marshals who seem excessively worried about your well-being.

"Are any of you hurt?" one ask.

"Can you feel all your fingers and toes?" asks another.

"What about your nose?" adds the third.

However, finding that you are well bundled and unharmed, they have little reason to fuss over you for long.

A marshal explains the trial at this check point, "This trial hearkens back to Balgird’s time in the wilderness. While searching for a Linnorm in the frozen reaches of the Saga Lands, Balgird Bluetongue survived by living off the land itself. In particular, Balgird was known to have scaled a great tree and retrieved the egg of a massive bird. He did this so swiftly and carefully that the tree did not bend, and the bird did not notice its egg go missing."

Your goal is to climb the tree without causing it to bend or wobble and then snatch the egg and descend. Typical checks are Athletics to Climb or Acrobatics to Balance. You only need to roll one, not both. If you have a different idea that does not involve damaging the tree or the egg, you're welcome to attempt it.
Again, as many of you as would like can attempt this trial.

You all may each also make a Gather Information attempt among the race officials or Make an Impression attempt among the two teams present here.

Horizon Hunters

Female Half Elf Sorcerer/Lvl 2|Abilities: Assurance(Arcana), Blood Magic (Elemental), Component Substitution, Experienced Professional, Low Light Vision

After warming herself for a bit and examining the tree she will have to move up, she braces herself for a swift ascent, snatches the egg from the nest and descends. Acrobatics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

After this task is finished, Tam Sa Gi walks over to the officials to turn in the egg, bowing respectfully as she does so, and then proceeds to inquire as to what might be involved in the next leg of the course. Diplomacy: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15


AtAT | Tarnbreaker | | Lost on the Spirit Road | url= | Revolution on the Riverside | url=

While ultimately successful, Tam Sa Gi notices that the egg was sticky with some sort of sap what made it more difficult to remove without breaking it.

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 15/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Barb takes a moment before Tam Sa Gi turns over the egg, asking to examine it and trying to determine whether the sap is likely to be a naturally occurring happenstance or if someone has deliberately tried to make this event more challenging.

She also endeavours to make sure that none of the team's gear is ever left unattended, suggesting they set watches if need be.

When it is her turn to attempt the challenge, Barb looks for the most sturdy route up and then climbs carefully.

Athletics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

Horizon Hunters

M Goblin Sorcerer 1: Spd:25, HP:13/13, AC:13, Fort:4, Ref:6, Will:4, Per:2 Darkvision, Stealth:6

Mordack is more careful this time around not to gather misinformation diplomacy: 7 + 1d20 ⇒ 7 + (2) = 9 My goss, WTF.
He talks about bird watching.

Envoy's Alliance

LG (male) human (Taldan) Wizard 1| HP 16/16 | AC 15 (16 with Mage Armor)| F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc(T) +4 | Stealth(T) +5 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Feldspar will attempt the climb as well, waiting for Barb to come and watch over the gear.

acrobatics: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

He will then attempt to gather information about the road ahead, not trusting his social skills to make an impression on the other teams.

diplomacy, gather information: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14


AtAT | Tarnbreaker | | Lost on the Spirit Road | url= | Revolution on the Riverside | url=

Barb is certain that the sap is not a naturally occurring accident. The shaved tree they climb is dead, although still flexible, and not extruding sap. The egg, also, has no leak.

Despite the stickiness of the egg, both Barb and Feldspar manage to climb the tree and retrieve it without either falling down or breaking the egg.

Neither Mordack nor Feldspar have much luck teasing information out of any of the race officials regarding the next leg of the trek.

Vigilant Seal

NG (female) Dwarf Fighter 1 | HP 22/22 | AC 17 (19 with Shield Raised) | F+7__R+6__W+5 | Perc(E) +7 (darkvision) | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

Frankie is more patient this trial, and waits until the others have taken a turn, asking for advice from them before she tries herself.
Hearing about the sticky substance on the egg, she asks an official if it is supposed to be like that, or has a previous competitor done something to make the task more challenging.
Regardless of their response, once it is indicated she can proceed with her own climb, f re annie does so.
ATHLETICS: 120 + 7 = 127

And then tries to gather info from the officials
diplomacy: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 9

Vigilant Seal

NG (female) Dwarf Fighter 1 | HP 22/22 | AC 17 (19 with Shield Raised) | F+7__R+6__W+5 | Perc(E) +7 (darkvision) | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

whoops. Here's the fixed athletics check
Athletics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23


AtAT | Tarnbreaker | | Lost on the Spirit Road | url= | Revolution on the Riverside | url=

"No, that's odd," the official says in response to Frankie's question. "We will have to log this irregularity."

She then clambers up the shaved tree pole and snags the egg with ease, earning the team a fourth laurel.

Horizon Hunters

Female Half Elf Sorcerer/Lvl 2|Abilities: Assurance(Arcana), Blood Magic (Elemental), Component Substitution, Experienced Professional, Low Light Vision

Tam Sa Gi, upon hearing of Frankie's success, congratulates her. "Well done! She claps Frankie on the back and offers to buy her an ale when all this is over.


AtAT | Tarnbreaker | | Lost on the Spirit Road | url= | Revolution on the Riverside | url=

The morning breaks with less biting cold but the resultant fog obscures the trail. As you break your camp, you notice the tracks in the snow of some four-legged animal that has passed unnoticed in the night. You overhear some of the marshals talking about seeing the shadow of some beast stalking the periphery of the camps.

Overland Travel Check for Day 3. Everyone needs to make one of these checks for good or ill.

Horizon Hunters

Female Half Elf Sorcerer/Lvl 2|Abilities: Assurance(Arcana), Blood Magic (Elemental), Component Substitution, Experienced Professional, Low Light Vision

What type of check would an "Overland Travel Check" be exactly? I mean, the sentence suggests it is something other than what we've been doing all along so what specifically are we using for this check?


AtAT | Tarnbreaker | | Lost on the Spirit Road | url= | Revolution on the Riverside | url=

No, it's the exact same Overland Travel check that you've made twice already. I was just reminding everyone that they need to make a check.

Horizon Hunters

Female Varisian Human Monk 2 HP 6/30 AC 20 F+7 R+10 W+6 PercⓉ +4 StealthⓊ +4 Speed 25' Focus 0/1 Hero Points 0 Active Conditions None

Carmelizzia gave a try at bringing another egg for the team. She climbs up and tries to balance herself so that it does not fall.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

After that, Carmelizzia would try to befriend Two Houses as she failed to do so with Wyrding Wayfinders. As the previous night, she tries to show her knowledge of Ulfen dances.

Make an Impression with Performance/dancing: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

***

During the day, Carmilizzia is once again trying to help the team by using her agility to help use less effort to move toward their goal. For example, she walks on a fallen pine to cross a small river rather than make a long march to find an easier way to cross that river.

Overland Travel / Acrobatics: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 15/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Barb checks that the team has all their equipment and that goods on the sleigh are well balanced and secure. She then looks at the tracks and tries to identify what creature they belong to, before taking her place as the first pusher for the day.

Nature: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10 (not primary roll, looking for additional information)

Athletics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23 for Overaland Travel.

Envoy's Alliance

LG (male) human (Taldan) Wizard 1| HP 16/16 | AC 15 (16 with Mage Armor)| F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc(T) +4 | Stealth(T) +5 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Feldspar will stick with the approach that seemed to work (sort of) yesterday; using his acrobatics training to try to keep up with Tam Sa Gi.

acrobatics: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

And if that is not possible will fall back on his survival training to just forge through
survival: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

While he has no real Nature information, he will also glance at the tracks to see if he recognizes the creature as Arcane or Occult
Arcane knowledge check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
Occultism knowledge check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

Vigilant Seal

NG (female) Dwarf Fighter 1 | HP 22/22 | AC 17 (19 with Shield Raised) | F+7__R+6__W+5 | Perc(E) +7 (darkvision) | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

"If it ain't broke, don;t fix it. Am I Right? HAW HAW HAW HAW"
Frankie starts the day with a cliche and another hearty guffaw, before starting off on the first leg of the day, pushing the sleigh.

Athletics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

Horizon Hunters

M Goblin Sorcerer 1: Spd:25, HP:13/13, AC:13, Fort:4, Ref:6, Will:4, Per:2 Darkvision, Stealth:6

Mordack thinks he might have a grasp on the area yet survival: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18 If mountain lore is allowed, that is 1d20+4 meaning 2 higher. Again, don't know if we are currently in the mountains or not.

Horizon Hunters

Female Half Elf Sorcerer/Lvl 2|Abilities: Assurance(Arcana), Blood Magic (Elemental), Component Substitution, Experienced Professional, Low Light Vision

Tam Sa Gi continues to scour the terrain for the safest and easiest path to traverse. Acrobatics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14

Horizon Hunters

Female Half Elf Sorcerer/Lvl 2|Abilities: Assurance(Arcana), Blood Magic (Elemental), Component Substitution, Experienced Professional, Low Light Vision

Using a hero point on that last roll.
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25


AtAT | Tarnbreaker | | Lost on the Spirit Road | url= | Revolution on the Riverside | url=

Mordack: Yes, Mountain Lore is acceptable.

Barb is certain that whatever made the tracks is bigger than a fox. This is also about as much information as Feldspar is able to shed on the subject.

Heading into the fog, Tam Sa Gi is able to guide you toward safer routes over difficult terrain despite the fog. Mordack shares his useful insights into the landscape. Barb's and Frankie's raw strength proves invaluable to your progression.

Near the end of the third day, you head toward the check point with Two Houses visible in front of you.

Steam and spray from the Whitegold River hangs in the air as the checkpoint draws near. The wet air carries a cold sting. The snow on the trees drips, plopping heavily to the ground and the snow and frost seem to be clinging only in shadowed nooks and slick patches, despite the frigid air. Race officials prepare fish caught from the banks of the river near the camp. South of the campsite, another official stands near the riverbank. Several long poles lean against a mossy rock. Across the river, the course stretches away from the river and through the thinning trees into the snow-dusted hills beyond.

An official approaches to inspect you for injury, fatigue, or frost bite. Once satisfied with your health, she tells you, "This trial is particularly important to the Balgirdtrek. After spotting the tarn linnorm, Balgird gave chase to the beast. The linnorm slipped through the trees and made its way across the Whitegold River to evade Balgird. The rushing river was frigid and cold, and as Balgird approached he could see the tarn linnorm lurking in the trees on the other side, waiting to pluck his exhausted body from the shore if he swam across. Balgird felled a tall sapling from the riverside and vaulted across the river with as much of his gear as he could carry, foiling the linnorm and chasing it further into the wild."

You will need to suspend disbelieve about pole vaulting your sled over to the other side.

"I recommend that you spend the night on this side of the river, though, and proceed with the trial in the morning," she says. "We have plenty of firewood and good food prepared."

You notice that you have gained on some of the other teams. The Bluetongue Brawlers are still at the camp this time, and the Wyrding Wayfinders arrive an hour after you arrived.

You can Gather Information for the next leg of the journey and stay the night, Make an Impression on one of the teams camping here, or press forward on the trek.

If you want to skip the camp and press onward, the trial is an Athletics or Acrobatics check to vault the 20 ft wide river while carrying your gear.

If you want to stay in camp and do the social checks, we'll resolve those first before moving on to the morning and attempts to cross.

51 to 100 of 236 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [OutPost III, PFS(2)] PFS(2) 1-10 Tarnbreaker's Trail All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.