Enemy in Shadows - Warhammer Fantasy

Game Master Aubster

First published in 1986, Enemy in Shadows is an updated version of one of the most iconic campaigns in RPG history.


1,351 to 1,400 of 1,642 << first < prev | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | next > last >>

Dwarven Miner Damage (0) Wounds (19) Fate (3) Fortune (2/3) Resilience (2) Resolve (2/2) Corruption (0) Armor (1) Move (3) WS: 50 (60 2handed) BS: 24 STR: 50 T: 50 Init: 25 Ag: 20 Dex: 38 Int: 32 WP: 48 Fel: 21 (+10 dawi)

Charm 21: 1d100 ⇒ 20
Ha! I really need to change careers so I can pump it up. Or would you let me switch my Perception skill points for charm? I think at this point it is clear on what he is better at.

Valgahz stepped forward, and described the trip. From the nighttime ambush of locals from Ubersreik pelting them with stones as cover for disabling the carriage, to being waylaid by a pistol-toting bandit, to rescuing a man and a halfling from a goblin raid. He went into detail about the fighting that took place and the danger, which culminated in them finding the remnants of a destroyed carriage and the vengeance they took on the goblin warband. He further spoke of the Imperial regiment they came across, and the travails they faced. Throughout it all he spoke with animation, building the journey up to seem both dangerous and heroic.


Landolf Gersun von Ubersreik | Male Reiklander Scion | Wounds 13/13 | Initiative 40 | Fencing 42 / Dodge 40 | Fortune 4/5 | Fate 4/4 | Resolve/Resilience 2/3 | Armor: Body 1 / Arms 1 / Legs 1 | Corruption: 2 | Party Funds: 4g 13/19

Charm 41: 1d100 ⇒ 59 - that isn't awesome, but Landolf does have the Noble Blood talent. If this is a Dramatic Test, that might actually get him over the finish line. If it's a Simple Test, I'll consider rerolling.

"We had trouble enough getting started, sir," Landolf says after bowing politely. "This crew from Ubersreik had taken it into their heads that we were choosing sides in the political dispute current up there and decided to chase us out of town even if we were already leaving. The night of our departure, they sent folk to harass and sabotage the journey while we were at the coaching camp. Fortunately, we kept a watch that night and by the time I woke and was able to leave the tent, the others had chased them off. One of them had gone for the coach itself while the others had attempted to sneak up on our tent. We sent them packing."

"This seemed a matter of minor importance at the time, but the issue of the fanatics continued to come up over the course of our journey."

Shall we tell the story in phases? Who is next?


Human Warden Damage (0) Wounds (12) Fate (3) Fortune (3/3) Resilience (4) Resolve (4/4) Movement (4) WS: 41 BS: 29 STR: 32 T: 41 Init: 31 Ag: 36 Dex: 29 Int: 33 WP: 32 Fel: 40

I'm up for phases. Perhaps with Valghaz giving that initial summary? Or a phase if he wants. It'll be less repititive that way too!

Charm 45: 1d100 ⇒ 47

"Aye! That lowly Jugenfreud scion, Lorbeer Weber, whipped up that rabble. But as it turned out, someone else was pulling strings. We shall get to that though!"

Talther takes a sip of ale to whet his throat.

"On the road to Ort, we encountered a full regiment of Altdorf state troops. They had suffered ill-luck, though one has to wonder. Their surgeon had been shot by a raw recruit and lay wounded. Good Valghaz binded him up in short order, giving the poor man a solid chance at continued life. Their commander had an urgent message to deliver to command in Bögenhafen, which he entrusted to noble Landolf here. Markus the Magnificent was specifically asked to help break a curse that was supposed to upon the camp. And perhaps it was! He found a warpstone idol that a gullible recruit had been sold on the promise of "good luck" in Blutroch by an itinerant peddler of trinkets. Adelaida here, as a soldier to the core, gave a speech that put salve to sore morale! I spent my time learning what news I could garner from the soldiery. Word of attacks by beastmen near Ort and greenskins near Bögenhafen. Fabergus Heinzdork, the witch hunter, has earned tales of burning down the village of Teufelfeuer, something to do with consuming raw meat and demons, if you can believe it!"


Male Male Reiklander Wizard | Wounds 15/15 | Dodge 44 | Melee (Polearm) 40 | Fortune 5/5 | Resolve/Resilience 2/2 | Armor: Body 1 / Arms 1

Markus uncharacteristically broods in the corner and sups at his dinner. That mishaps with the Winds has obviously upset him.


As you all relate your stories, Gershwin seems to be in no hurry to discover the fate of the missing coach, but instead expresses a lot of concern over the thugs in Ubersreik, drunken highwaymen, Dwarven travellers, and so on. He stops you regularly in order to note down a summary of the information they on a sheet of paper.

After a few minutes Gershwin’s attitude begins to sour. His face begins to redden and he starts blustering a bit, ”You let a HIGHWAYMAN GO!?! Goblins attacking a trader on the road, NONSENSE! Locals throwing rocks at you? Hmphh, you obviously must have done something to bring that on. Interfering with an army regiment, well I’ve never...trying to provoke a tavern brawl with dwarfs, horrible, just horrible. I’ve never heard such rank amateurism. At least tell me you found the missing coach and know what happened to it. What proof of Hoch’s involvement did you bring?”


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Female soldier Wounds 8/14 Fate 4 Resilience 3 Fortune 4/4 WS 52 BS 37 ST 35 TG 45 INi 34 Ag31 DEX 33 Int31 Will 36 Fel 40

Charm 40: 1d100 ⇒ 16

We have done what we could, in the circumstances, and I think we have mostly done good. We've made our own choices, and don't need your approval on everything, because you weren't there, and we were. Unless you wanted your company to be associated with the names of a band of thuggish marauders who killed everyone in sight, without any cause or purpose, without taking time to think if there was another way to do things? Not the best way to keep or attract customers, I'll say. Now instead your company might be linked to the Trollslayers, a band known for its bravery, who know when to use force when needed, to protect the Empire, its citizens and your properties, and who are ressourceful enough to get some good rep with the local Altdorf regiment. Which can be mightily helpful, in times of need, don't you think?


Adelaida Lehner wrote:

[dice=Charm 40]1d100

We have done what we could, in the circumstances, and I think we have mostly done good. We've made our own choices, and don't need your approval on everything, because you weren't there, and we were. Unless you wanted your company to be associated with the names of a band of thuggish marauders who killed everyone in sight, without any cause or purpose, without taking time to think if there was another way to do things? Not the best way to keep or attract customers, I'll say. Now instead your company might be linked to the Trollslayers, a band known for its bravery, who know when to use force when needed, to protect the Empire, its citizens and your properties, and who are ressourceful enough to get some good rep with the local Altdorf regiment. Which can be mightily helpful, in times of need, don't you think?

”The proof! That is all that matters now. Tell me you have the proof of Hoch’s guilt in the disappearance of the coach!”


Human Warden Damage (0) Wounds (12) Fate (3) Fortune (3/3) Resilience (4) Resolve (4/4) Movement (4) WS: 41 BS: 29 STR: 32 T: 41 Init: 31 Ag: 36 Dex: 29 Int: 33 WP: 32 Fel: 40

Talther feels a flush of anger at this thwerp's manners!

"Hold on a minute, Gershwin! You are determined to find fault instead of listening to what we are saying! We found the coach and hunted down the goblins who took it down."


Talther Augenlos wrote:

Talther feels a flush of anger at this thwerp's manners!

"Hold on a minute, Gershwin! You are determined to find fault instead of listening to what we are saying! We found the coach and hunted down the goblins who took it down."

It is obvious that Andreas is growing increasingly frustrated. He listens, but his brows beetle, and a sneer begins to form around his lips. Once it becomes clear that you place the blame for the missing coach to the predation of Goblins, he loses his temper. He pounds at the table with his fist, sending the remains of his meal scattering. “No! No, this won’t do! We can lay all sorts of mischief at Elicha Hochs’s feet, but she is no consort of Greenskinned raiders. This is a charge that won’t stick! There must have been some evidence of her involvement in all of this! What is it?”


Female Human Female soldier Wounds 8/14 Fate 4 Resilience 3 Fortune 4/4 WS 52 BS 37 ST 35 TG 45 INi 34 Ag31 DEX 33 Int31 Will 36 Fel 40

I'm starting to wonder if we didn't missed an important clue..

Unfazed by the man's outburst-she endured so much verbal abuse by her drill sergeant this counts only as a gentle breeze-Adelaida stands her ground.

Not only does she stands her ground, she shows the man how to REALLY do it, her eyes steel, her voice cold as the grave.

Intimidate 40: 1d100 ⇒ 1 Don't mess with my girl.^^

Sit Down, you worthless, spineless, pathetic excuse for a man. You want to pin some blame on Hoch, but you can't accept the truth that we found nothing to tie her to the coach attack? I should make you run to the broken coach we found, run until you can't run anymore, until you can only walk in the mud, then crawl on your bleeding hand and knees,in the middle of the night. There you can search the coach all by yourself until you find something that suits your warped perception of reality, if the goblins don't attack you first, if their wolves don't rip apart your body. Between your screams of agony, maybe you will regret to didn't want to believe us in the first place. In the morning, if I find some of your remains, I'll put them in a shallow grave by the wayside. And I'll aks someone to write that only your greed, your anger and your stupidity led you to this cold, dark place, exonerating Frau Hoch from all misdeed forever.

Her face inches from the man's face, she adds
Now, we will keep our eyes open, to find more clues and evidence, not for your personal gain but for the safety of the Empire. In exchange, you will be reasonable and keep an open mind about who might have planned the attacks, until a concrete proof is found.


Dwarven Miner Damage (0) Wounds (19) Fate (3) Fortune (2/3) Resilience (2) Resolve (2/2) Corruption (0) Armor (1) Move (3) WS: 50 (60 2handed) BS: 24 STR: 50 T: 50 Init: 25 Ag: 20 Dex: 38 Int: 32 WP: 48 Fel: 21 (+10 dawi)

Valghaz blinked in surprise at the soldier’s outburst. Remembering how deadly she was with a blade, against troll, vampire, cultist and goblin, he decided that it was a good thing that she wasn’t this angry at him!


Human Warden Damage (0) Wounds (12) Fate (3) Fortune (3/3) Resilience (4) Resolve (4/4) Movement (4) WS: 41 BS: 29 STR: 32 T: 41 Init: 31 Ag: 36 Dex: 29 Int: 33 WP: 32 Fel: 40

Talther stops in flow of words, looks at Adelaida, visibly impressed, then turns to Andreas.

"You *really* should heed her words, Andreas. Now, shall we discuss this more calmly or not?"

An attempt to get things civil with Charm 45: 1d100 ⇒ 39


Adelaida’s words quiet Andreas and Gershwin for a moment as an uncomfortable silence settles over the table. Andreas broods for a while and responds to Talther when he speaks with a grimace and says, ”I’m thinking here, be quiet for a moment please.” After a while, he rises from his seat and says, ”For all your lack of success, you still deserve your pay. Wait here while I fetch it.”

However, Gershwin is having none of it. ”Pay? These people? Andreas, you promised me they would expose Elicha Hochs. They’ve done nothing of the sort. As far as I see it, they have committed all manner of ineptitude and crime into the bargain. This association threatens the Cannon Ball’s good name! I won’t authorise the spending of a single penny on this benighted enterprise!”

Gershwin storms out of the room, followed by an apologetic Frau Bastel. You hear the front door of the inn slam and a moment later a coachman whipping his horses to get them moving quickly.

Andreas seems furiously embarrassed by the whole affair. ”I must beg your pardon. Gershwin has always had a short fuse. By Verena, I must take fault for any shortcomings of the investigation. I obviously did not provide you with enough information. You still have earned your pay and then some. Please wait here while I go get your pay as well as a small bonus. I will be right back. Help yourself to the wine, it is quite good or order anything else you want and have it charged to my tab.”


Is it fair to assume that everyone is sitting at the table waiting for Andreas?


Dwarven Miner Damage (0) Wounds (19) Fate (3) Fortune (2/3) Resilience (2) Resolve (2/2) Corruption (0) Armor (1) Move (3) WS: 50 (60 2handed) BS: 24 STR: 50 T: 50 Init: 25 Ag: 20 Dex: 38 Int: 32 WP: 48 Fel: 21 (+10 dawi)

Valghaz kept quiet, and just nodded. He waited patiently for the payment.


If your ears are sharp enough, you can just make out a conversation that’s happening in the main room of the inn.

Successful Average (+20) Perception Test:
You hear Andreas replying to a question. You didn’t hear the question, but you can hear the answer. ”No, no, my friends will take care of it.” Then you hear the sound of the inn’s front door being slammed shut.


Dwarven Miner Damage (0) Wounds (19) Fate (3) Fortune (2/3) Resilience (2) Resolve (2/2) Corruption (0) Armor (1) Move (3) WS: 50 (60 2handed) BS: 24 STR: 50 T: 50 Init: 25 Ag: 20 Dex: 38 Int: 32 WP: 48 Fel: 21 (+10 dawi)

Perception: 1d100 ⇒ 27
First one made!

Valghaz nervously got to his feet and rested his pick axe on his shoulder. ”Did ye all hear that? Andreas said that his friends would take care of it and then slammed the front door.” He tried to look non-threatening, but enough had happened thus far for him to assume the worst. He worried that rather than being paid they would be killed. Such was their employer’s angry outburst that the worst possible outcome seemed possible.


Female Human Female soldier Wounds 8/14 Fate 4 Resilience 3 Fortune 4/4 WS 52 BS 37 ST 35 TG 45 INi 34 Ag31 DEX 33 Int31 Will 36 Fel 40

Perception+20 (54): 1d100 ⇒ 40

Maybe it's too soon to jump to conclusion. It could mean anything. So be prepared for anything, including the worst. Not the first time we could have to fight side by side, and probably not the last time either.

Adelaida keeps her axe close at hand


Advisor (Aide) Fatigued Wounds:14/14 Resolve:3/3 Fortune:2/3 WS:38 BS:35 S:33 T:40 Init:34 AG:30 DEX:31 Int: 30 WP:30 FEL:38

Ruprecht himself was getting more an more hot under the collar as the Carriage man began to insult their efforts. He was considering his own rant, when Adelaida laid into the man.

When he and Andreas had left, he slapped his hand on the table and declared, "Well done, Adelaida! You said what we were all thinking!"

Perception:41+20:61: 1d100 ⇒ 16

Ruprecht responds to Valghaz, "I did hear it! And I have a less ominous, but still infuriating interpretation....he's leaving us with the bill....and unpaid for our efforts on the road!"


You all are ready for trouble this time. There's no way anyone is going to take you by surprise...a few minutes after Andreas' conversation that you overheard, footsteps approach the door to the conference room where you've been waiting.

Knock, Knock, Knock

Without waiting for a reply, the door is slowly opened leaving you facing, the horrifying, monstrous...oh never mind, you find yourself facing the innkeeper. The inn-keeper is about 5’7”, bald, and has bushy grey side-whiskers and blue eyes. In his mid-50s, he is a large and jolly fellow who always has plenty to say to everyone, whether or not they show any inclination to listen.

With a bow, he starts talking in a very cheerful voice"My Lady, Gentlemen and Gooddwarf, welcome to my Inn, the Crossed Axes, without a doubt the finest inn between the Grey Mountains and Altdorf. It is always a joy to have new customers and I do not think I have seen your faces before, and I remember faces. In fact, my Da tried to sell me to a traveling circus when I was 10 so I could amaze the crowd with my face memory." He laughs heartily and winks, "actually Da didn't try to sell me...he tried to give me away for free, HA!. it is a great pleasure to serve you today. My apologies for not introducing myself sooner but it took me a few minutes to tally-up your bill. My name is Gustav Fondleburger, and yes I do know that's a silly last name, our family name used to be Hugburger until the incident with Grandpa Joe, HAH!" Gustav laughs heartily again and continues merrily saying, "no matter, no matter, a Fondleburger I was born and I Fondleburger I will be. Now then, there is the small matter of the bill that your friend said you'd be paying." Gustav holds out the bill for someone to take, "the total is 1 Gold Crown and 4 Silver Shillings" he tells you happily. With a suddenly severe look on his face he adds, "don't make me call Blackie," but he can't hold the severe expression and chortles again"...ha ha ha...sorry, Blackie is my pet crow, you must have seen him earlier sitting on his beam above the bar. Be careful with anything shiny around Blackie, he's a sneaky little thief at heart. Maybe he's a halfling in disguise...hee, hee, hee," Gustav finishes joyfully.


Human Warden Damage (0) Wounds (12) Fate (3) Fortune (3/3) Resilience (4) Resolve (4/4) Movement (4) WS: 41 BS: 29 STR: 32 T: 41 Init: 31 Ag: 36 Dex: 29 Int: 33 WP: 32 Fel: 40

Perception 57: 1d100 ⇒ 43

That treacherous cur!

"Is this *friend* still on the premises, Herr Fondleburger?", Talther says, already moving to rise.

Charm 45: 1d100 ⇒ 45


Talther Augenlos wrote:

[dice=Perception 57]1d100

That treacherous cur!

"Is this *friend* still on the premises, Herr Fondleburger?", Talther says, already moving to rise.

[dice=Charm 45]1d100

”I know not kind sir. I know he went out the front door of the inn, but he still might be in the courtyard. If not, Young Frederick the Porter should know if he’s on the premises. You probably ought to know that Young Frederick is actually quite old but since his Gramps had the job before him he can’t be called Old Frederick because that was already taken. Funny thing is that Young Frederick’s Da was called Young Franz, which made sense since his name was Franz. I remember Young Franz would give me horseyback rides round the courtyard. Course that was some time ago. I guess Young Franz died of old age about 10 years back. Now, what was the that question again?”


Landolf Gersun von Ubersreik | Male Reiklander Scion | Wounds 13/13 | Initiative 40 | Fencing 42 / Dodge 40 | Fortune 4/5 | Fate 4/4 | Resolve/Resilience 2/3 | Armor: Body 1 / Arms 1 / Legs 1 | Corruption: 2 | Party Funds: 4g 13/19

Initiative (Perception) 40+20: 1d100 ⇒ 83

Landolf is too distracted by the unexpected hostility of their employer and is slow to react as the situation becomes clear. Without listening to the innkeeper further, he dashes toward the door.

"We will surely see you paid, good sir! We must have words with our 'friend'."

If there is any possibility of catching Andreas, Landolf wants to try.


Landolf rushes through the barroom of the inn and out the front door into the courtyard. There’s an elderly man tottering towards the porter’s house next to the gate across the courtyard to your right. You can hear the sound of a smithy pounding on an anvil coming from a set of buildings on your left. Other than that, the courtyard drowses under the late day sun.

It appears that not only have Andreas and Gershwin gone, but Jan also has driven off with the coach. That means that any belongings that you left in the coach when you went into the inn also are gone.

The elderly man stopped and turned around when he heard the door to the inn open and he calls out to you, ”Help you with anything, guv?”


Dwarven Miner Damage (0) Wounds (19) Fate (3) Fortune (2/3) Resilience (2) Resolve (2/2) Corruption (0) Armor (1) Move (3) WS: 50 (60 2handed) BS: 24 STR: 50 T: 50 Init: 25 Ag: 20 Dex: 38 Int: 32 WP: 48 Fel: 21 (+10 dawi)

”So.” Valghaz said in a quiet and dangerous voice. ”A grudge is written this day.” After a deep breath he continued ”It would be best if we could get vengeance ourselves. If not...” He let it trail off. He’d have to return home and report it to his clan elders. At the very least they’d have to hire a reckoner to hunt down the avenging parties, something which often cost more than what would be recovered by settling the grudge. He didn’t want it to come to that. In part because they’d already done so much already. A troll, a vampire, mutants...all had fallen to them. Though this would be the first time they truly hunted human prey. ”I’d start with Hoch. Make an alliance to bring down these bastards.”


Advisor (Aide) Fatigued Wounds:14/14 Resolve:3/3 Fortune:2/3 WS:38 BS:35 S:33 T:40 Init:34 AG:30 DEX:31 Int: 30 WP:30 FEL:38

Ruprecht gives his friends a look, as if to say 'I told you so...'.

He nods at Valghaz' comment, "Indeed, we've been given a bad turn...by what had seemed a reputable business. A grudge is indeed appropriate...but perhaps also utilizing the Empire's vast system of laws might be as well. I shall draft a letter to our good friend Osanna, and start a writ against these scoundrels!"

He turns to the Innkeeper, "Now then friend, it seems that you've been taken advantage of, for that 'friend' was in fact our employer, who had engaged you himself for these fine victuals, and has now absconded without paying both yourself and us! His name is Andreas, and he works for Gershwin Fischgrätenmuster, fleet master of Cannon Ball Express! You now know who owes you 1 gold and 4 shillings! "

Charm:41: 1d100 ⇒ 75 Fortune re-roll!!
Charm:41: 1d100 ⇒ 2


Human Warden Damage (0) Wounds (12) Fate (3) Fortune (3/3) Resilience (4) Resolve (4/4) Movement (4) WS: 41 BS: 29 STR: 32 T: 41 Init: 31 Ag: 36 Dex: 29 Int: 33 WP: 32 Fel: 40

Talther fumes, realising that they are likely too late.

"Damnation, he has cheated us! While sitting back and allowing that swine Gershwin to insult our character and our work!"

He turns to the innkeeper as well.

"As my friend, Ruprecht aptly puts it, the man has cheated us both!"

Assist Ruprecht in charm test


Ruprecht Scheinfelder wrote:

Ruprecht gives his friends a look, as if to say 'I told you so...'.

He nods at Valghaz' comment, "Indeed, we've been given a bad turn...by what had seemed a reputable business. A grudge is indeed appropriate...but perhaps also utilizing the Empire's vast system of laws might be as well. I shall draft a letter to our good friend Osanna, and start a writ against these scoundrels!"

He turns to the Innkeeper, "Now then friend, it seems that you've been taken advantage of, for that 'friend' was in fact our employer, who had engaged you himself for these fine victuals, and has now absconded without paying both yourself and us! His name is Andreas, and he works for Gershwin Fischgrätenmuster, fleet master of Cannon Ball Express! You now know who owes you 1 gold and 4 shillings! "

[dice=Charm:41]1d100 Fortune re-roll!!
[dice=Charm:41]1d100

You have managed to wipe the happy look off of Gustav's face which takes on a very sad countenance for a moment but then his cheerful nature overwhelms his sadness. "Grandma Francis always said you could take the pig to the market but you couldn't get the greenskin to take a bath. I never understood what that meant but I do like the sound of it. If we were both cheated then we must both take a bath. Halfsies would be fair, wouldn't it? Yes, halfsies...so we both will be out 12 shillings." Gustav nods happily at his suggestion and gives you a sly smile, "unless you're walking through the Reikwald, I imagine you'll be wanting dinner and lodging here tonight. That of course is extra," he says with a wink and a nod.

You can try an opposed Haggle Test vs Gustav. A win with a SL +2 or less would reduce the cost to 11 shillings, a win by more than SL +2 would reduce the cost to 10 shillings. However, a loss would increase the cost to 13 shillings.


As you haggle with Gustav, you hear a commotion in the barroom. ”That’ll be the last coach of the day. Nuln to Altdorf. It’s normally full because no one normally stays here but if you’re looking for a coach ride tomorrow it’ll be your only choice.”


Landolf Gersun von Ubersreik | Male Reiklander Scion | Wounds 13/13 | Initiative 40 | Fencing 42 / Dodge 40 | Fortune 4/5 | Fate 4/4 | Resolve/Resilience 2/3 | Armor: Body 1 / Arms 1 / Legs 1 | Corruption: 2 | Party Funds: 4g 13/19

Unsure of how he can help with the negotiations, Landolf nods to Ruprecht. He'll be able to settle things with the halfling. While it was unfortunate that their employer cheated them, they did need to have lodgings for the night.

He moved to look at what was going on in the barroom.


Dwarven Miner Damage (0) Wounds (19) Fate (3) Fortune (2/3) Resilience (2) Resolve (2/2) Corruption (0) Armor (1) Move (3) WS: 50 (60 2handed) BS: 24 STR: 50 T: 50 Init: 25 Ag: 20 Dex: 38 Int: 32 WP: 48 Fel: 21 (+10 dawi)

Having decided that the innkeeper was a good enough sort, Valghaz decided to trade stories.

Charm 21: 1d100 ⇒ 15

Until someone would decide to stop him, he’d keep at it. Listening intently before following up with his own tale.

”...and he said, that’s not a goblin, that’s me wife!”

”...and would ye believe it, he left the crossbow loaded and ON the donkey. Well, that’s when...”

”...haha! That’s a good one. Reminds me of when Uncle Ori got lost in the Lower Deep. Y’see...”

”Wait, wait. Gonna need a drink for this one. Ye say he was yer cousin?”

And on, and on...until finally...

”Ye call that ale? Tell ye what. Got me a sip of the GOOD stuff left. Make ye a bet. If ye agree that it’s the best ye’ve ever had, then I sleep free for the night. Easy bet, right? All ye have to do is say no and ye get the drink free. But I’m confident that as a man of honor, ye’d be hard pressed to do so.” He said, taking out the flask in which he saved the last of the Bugman’s they were given...


Darkest Doomed wrote:

Unsure of how he can help with the negotiations, Landolf nods to Ruprecht. He'll be able to settle things with the halfling. While it was unfortunate that their employer cheated them, they did need to have lodgings for the night.

He moved to look at what was going on in the barroom.

The inn’s barroom is a bright and cheerful place. On opening the door, you can smell fine foods cooking and hear the laughter of the two coachmen who are drinking and joking together. From across the room you notice the icy stare of a finely dressed young woman, obviously a noblewoman. She sits at a table with two other women: one is tall and heavily built, armored and carrying a multitude of weapons while the other is small and mousey-looking. A young man is sitting at another table. He appears absorbed in his book. Leaning on the bar is a foppish gentleman who stares closely at you before returning his gaze back to the bar. A thin looking barman is behind the bar. Above the bar, standing on a guano-stained wooden beam, is the landlord’s pet crow, Blackie who is repeating what his master says when he greets new guests. "To the finest Axe the inn welcome the around Crossed inn." Unfortunately, Blackie tends to scramble the words up before saying them.


Female Human Female soldier Wounds 8/14 Fate 4 Resilience 3 Fortune 4/4 WS 52 BS 37 ST 35 TG 45 INi 34 Ag31 DEX 33 Int31 Will 36 Fel 40

Haggle 45: 1d100 ⇒ 9 SL +3 (or +4?)

Once again, Adelaida steps in, and tries to convince the innkeeper to reduce his asked price.

She doesn't use her womanly charms, even if she has a certain intensity in her face, a good body, that are quite striking, and she could easily be called beautiful if she could forget a few minutes how to be a soldier and remember that she is a woman, but her no-nonsense attitude and her shining honesty and trustfulness lend weight to her words.


Landolf Gersun von Ubersreik | Male Reiklander Scion | Wounds 13/13 | Initiative 40 | Fencing 42 / Dodge 40 | Fortune 4/5 | Fate 4/4 | Resolve/Resilience 2/3 | Armor: Body 1 / Arms 1 / Legs 1 | Corruption: 2 | Party Funds: 4g 13/19

The foppish gentleman was staring at Landolf, but was the noblewoman as well? I'm not sure I should read 'icy stare' as 'icy stare at me'.


Darkest Doomed wrote:
The foppish gentleman was staring at Landolf, but was the noblewoman as well? I'm not sure I should read 'icy stare' as 'icy stare at me'.

The noblewoman gives everyone in the barroom icy stares as if she thinks everyone is beneath her and she would not appreciate anyone talking to her.

The man’s stare is more of, I wonder who that bloke is? kind of stare.


Dwarven Miner Damage (0) Wounds (19) Fate (3) Fortune (2/3) Resilience (2) Resolve (2/2) Corruption (0) Armor (1) Move (3) WS: 50 (60 2handed) BS: 24 STR: 50 T: 50 Init: 25 Ag: 20 Dex: 38 Int: 32 WP: 48 Fel: 21 (+10 dawi)

Valghaz payed the nobles no mind. Why should he? Their attitude wasn’t his problem.


Adelaida Lehner wrote:

dice=Haggle 45]1d100 SL +3 (or +4?)

Once again, Adelaida steps in, and tries to convince the innkeeper to reduce his asked price.

She doesn't use her womanly charms, even if she has a certain intensity in her face, a good body, that are quite striking, and she could easily be called beautiful if she could forget a few minutes how to be a soldier and remember that she is a woman, but her no-nonsense attitude and her shining honesty and trustfulness lend weight to her words.

Haggle 62: 1d100 ⇒ 43 SL of +2 so Adelaida wins with a SL of +4 check.

”You seem like a good lass, reminds me of my cousin Greta, she was a soldier too. Went up to Black Fire Pass. I guess she’s buried up there somewhere. Filthy greenskins got her,” Gustav says as he wipes a tear away, ”for you lass, I’ll take 11 shillings and let you and your mates sleep in the dorm room for free but you got to work for your supper, alright?”. Gustav spits in his right hand and holds it out to you to shake.


Valghaz Ironhammer wrote:

Having decided that the innkeeper was a good enough sort, Valghaz decided to trade stories.

[dice=Charm 21]1d100

Until someone would decide to stop him, he’d keep at it. Listening intently before following up with his own tale.

”...and he said, that’s not a goblin, that’s me wife!”

”...and would ye believe it, he left the crossbow loaded and ON the donkey. Well, that’s when...”

”...haha! That’s a good one. Reminds me of when Uncle Ori got lost in the Lower Deep. Y’see...”

”Wait, wait. Gonna need a drink for this one. Ye say he was yer cousin?”

And on, and on...until finally...

”Ye call that ale? Tell ye what. Got me a sip of the GOOD stuff left. Make ye a bet. If ye agree that it’s the best ye’ve ever had, then I sleep free for the night. Easy bet, right? All ye have to do is say no and ye get the drink free. But I’m confident that as a man of honor, ye’d be hard pressed to do so.” He said, taking out the flask in which he saved the last of the Bugman’s they were given...

”Not a goblin, that’s me wife??...that’s a good one sir, a right good one.” Gustav takes a sip from your flask and his eyes widen, ”why that’s Bugman’s ain’t it, sure it is or my name ain’t Fondleburger. Thanks for sharing mate.” He gives you the same offer as he did Adelaida, 11 Shillings to cover the debt, free room for the night but you have to work around the inn to pay for dinner.


Female Human Female soldier Wounds 8/14 Fate 4 Resilience 3 Fortune 4/4 WS 52 BS 37 ST 35 TG 45 INi 34 Ag31 DEX 33 Int31 Will 36 Fel 40

Adelaida spits in her hand and shake the innkeeper's own hand

Black Fire Pass… A name that haunts the soul and heart of every soldier of the Empire. I would be honored if you would agree to share a beer tonight in the memory of your cousin Greta.


Dwarven Miner Damage (0) Wounds (19) Fate (3) Fortune (2/3) Resilience (2) Resolve (2/2) Corruption (0) Armor (1) Move (3) WS: 50 (60 2handed) BS: 24 STR: 50 T: 50 Init: 25 Ag: 20 Dex: 38 Int: 32 WP: 48 Fel: 21 (+10 dawi)

”Aye. Sounds right fair.” Valghaz said with a nod.

Is it 11 silver each? Because I cannot not have 7, not including whatever the sale of the pistols entailed


Valghaz Ironhammer wrote:

”Aye. Sounds right fair.” Valghaz said with a nod.

Is it 11 silver each? Because I cannot not have 7, not including whatever the sale of the pistols entailed

Just 11 total


Landolf Gersun von Ubersreik | Male Reiklander Scion | Wounds 13/13 | Initiative 40 | Fencing 42 / Dodge 40 | Fortune 4/5 | Fate 4/4 | Resolve/Resilience 2/3 | Armor: Body 1 / Arms 1 / Legs 1 | Corruption: 2 | Party Funds: 4g 13/19

Landolf was new to Altdorf, and if he wished to make any progress in the area he would need connections. Approaching the icy lady was probably too bold at the moment, so he moved to introduce himself to the foppish gentleman.

"Landolf Gersun von Ubersreik," he said as he held out his hand. "Recently arrived in the area. After our trip from the south, this place is a welcome respite."

Landolf is hoping to start other conversations as well. He isn't raising his voice to announce everything to the barroom or be obnoxious, but he isn't trying to keep his introduction private, either.


Human Warden Damage (0) Wounds (12) Fate (3) Fortune (3/3) Resilience (4) Resolve (4/4) Movement (4) WS: 41 BS: 29 STR: 32 T: 41 Init: 31 Ag: 36 Dex: 29 Int: 33 WP: 32 Fel: 40

"Good sir, I am well-used to hard labour and would gladly help with yours, on similar terms to my good friends here!"

Haggle 40: 1d100 ⇒ 10


"Excellent, excellent. I am sure that Young Frederick would be grateful for the help. If you all would help him take care of the horses of the Ratchett Lines of Altdorf coach that just arrived that would be a very fair trade for dinner tonight. There are laundry tubs behind the Inn if you want to clean your clothes. There's also a tub for bathing back there. You can heat water up in the kitchen if you want a hot bath."

Young Frederick is indeed grateful for the help. With his rheumatism it's not easy for him to take care of a team of 6 horses as well as carry the passengers luggage into the inn.

After you've been helping him for a while, he nods to himself as if he's made up his mind about something and says, "you know that Andreas fellow paid me a shilling to tell you that he was riding to Ubersreik, so that's what I am doing now...I am telling you he said he was riding to Ubersreik but he rode north on the road towards Altdorf. He was following that fancy coach of the Cannon Ball Express line that the angry man and the quiet lady where in. I know that coach was heading to Altdorf. That's the head office for the Cannon Ball Express."


Dwarven Miner Damage (0) Wounds (19) Fate (3) Fortune (2/3) Resilience (2) Resolve (2/2) Corruption (0) Armor (1) Move (3) WS: 50 (60 2handed) BS: 24 STR: 50 T: 50 Init: 25 Ag: 20 Dex: 38 Int: 32 WP: 48 Fel: 21 (+10 dawi)

”Yer a man of yer word, as well as yer honor.” Valghaz said. ”And I don’t make such comments lightly. Ye have me thanks.”


Landolf Gersun von Ubersreik | Male Reiklander Scion | Wounds 13/13 | Initiative 40 | Fencing 42 / Dodge 40 | Fortune 4/5 | Fate 4/4 | Resolve/Resilience 2/3 | Armor: Body 1 / Arms 1 / Legs 1 | Corruption: 2 | Party Funds: 4g 13/19

Did Landolf get any response in the common room?


Darkest Doomed wrote:
Did Landolf get any response in the common room?

Yes if I had hit the submit post button like I thought I did. Response coming up in just a minute.


Darkest Doomed wrote:

Landolf was new to Altdorf, and if he wished to make any progress in the area he would need connections. Approaching the icy lady was probably too bold at the moment, so he moved to introduce himself to the foppish gentleman.

"Landolf Gersun von Ubersreik," he said as he held out his hand. "Recently arrived in the area. After our trip from the south, this place is a welcome respite."

Landolf is hoping to start other conversations as well. He isn't raising his voice to announce everything to the barroom or be obnoxious, but he isn't trying to keep his introduction private, either.

The man removes his feathered hat and deeply bows to Landolf. "My pleasure sir, my pleasure. I am Phillipe Descartes of Castle L'Anguille, the great seaport of Bretonnia and currently a traveler in your beautiful Empire. It is an amazing place, is it not? We must sit together and share stories, no? Perhaps, a game of cards with you and your friends to pass the time, yes?" Phillipe speaks with a broad Bretonnian accent and seems to be a friendly fellow.


If you are interested in traveling on the Ratchett Line Coach, the two coachmen are who you'll need to speak to.


Human Warden Damage (0) Wounds (12) Fate (3) Fortune (3/3) Resilience (4) Resolve (4/4) Movement (4) WS: 41 BS: 29 STR: 32 T: 41 Init: 31 Ag: 36 Dex: 29 Int: 33 WP: 32 Fel: 40

"You have my thanks also, Young Frederick."

Oh, we shall have a talk with that rat Andreas and that swine Gershwin!

1,351 to 1,400 of 1,642 << first < prev | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Welcome to Ubersreik All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.