GM Jhaeman's "The Prince of Augustana"

Game Master Jhaeman

Maps & Handouts


1 to 50 of 422 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

After a hurried summons to the Grand Lodge in Absalom, a quick conversation with Venture-Captain Alissa Moldreserva, and a wet, stormy trip across the Inner Sea to Andoran, the small, warm Pathfinder Lodge in Augustana (the second-largest city in Andoran and a major seaport) is a welcome break from travel.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-orc Bard (archaeologist) / 1 HP 9/9 | AC 15 F 11 T 14 | Init +1 | F +3 R +5 W +4 | Perception (0) | Darkvision 60' | Spells 1st: 2/2 | luck 3/7

"Join the Pathfinders they said. See the world they said." Getting in, out of the rain, and shaking out his salwar trousers, Bahram looks around the lodge while muttering to himself.

"And they were right!" Gravitating to the first person he sees within, Bahram continues his inner dialog outwardly for all to experience.

"Growing up, it was nothing but heat and sand...and sand...and sand...and sometimes a nice cool underground crypt. Now I'm on a boat every other day it seems, and everything is green! I don't even think that I am leaving a dusting of sand anywhere anymore." Sticking out his hand, he finally introduces himself.

"I'm Bahram Al-Urgug, Archaeologist by trade. Pleased to meet you."

Bahram is a half orc. He has a dark ruddy green complexion with tribal tatoos covering his arms. He wears baggy genie style pants with a wooded breastplate in lieu of a shirt. Strapped to his back is a large great axe, along with the rest of his gear.

The Exchange

NG Human Female Ninja 1 [AC 17 (T 13, FF 14) | HP 11/11 | F +2, R +5, W +0 | Init +5, Perception +4]

A young human woman walks in and bows deeply at the waist.

"My name is Tsuan," she says.

She is not dressed like an adventurer. She is wearing peasant's clothes and a brown, flax cloak. She has a small knife on her very utilitaian belt, and an unladen backpack on her shoulders.

She carries a map in her hand, with a quill at the ready to make additions.

Stealth (ordinary): 1d20 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 6 + 4 = 16

DC 16 Perception:
She is wearing a chain shirt under her clothes, the "small knife" is a masterwork wakizashi, and she has a second wakizashi under her cloak on the other side.

Grand Lodge

F Half-Orc Investigator(empiricist) 2 | HP 15/15| AC 16 T 13 FF 13 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F: +3, R: +8, W: +5 | Init: +3 | Perc: +10, SM: +8 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. Inspiriation +1d6 5/day)

Shagar walks into the lodge. She is, well, different, than most Half-Orc's you have come across.Small, wiry even. Not what one would expect of the Half-Orc race of big, tall, dumb brutes. With the right hat she would pass for a human librarian anywhere in the world.

She has an inquisitive eye and looks you over. Not threatening or anything, just looking to see if you might be useful to her for something, somehow.

"Shagar Batul, at your service." She extends her hand to each of you, ready to shake.

Grand Lodge

Male CN Oread Ectoplasmatist (Spiritualist) 1 | HP 6/10, 1str dmg | AC 16, touch 15, flat-footed 15 | CMB +4, CMD 15 | Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +5 | Init +1 | Perception +4, Sense Motive +3 | Speed 15ft | Treacherous earth: 1/1 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: None.

An oread steps in, clad in scale mail armor and with a backpack full of odds and ends. He doesn't seem to carry any weapons.

"I was exiled of my family, I can only hope to find hospitality here. Onu, at your service."

Onu shakes Shagar's hand.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-orc Bard (archaeologist) / 1 HP 9/9 | AC 15 F 11 T 14 | Init +1 | F +3 R +5 W +4 | Perception (0) | Darkvision 60' | Spells 1st: 2/2 | luck 3/7

Looking over at Onu with a gleam in his eye, "Ostracized by your family you say? I was too. Kinda. I was able to visit my mom on just this last mission though. What are the odds that they would send me back home, right?" Bahram continues as he claps Onu on the shoulder, "I'm sure that if we've been called to work together, we'll be as hospitable to on another as an oasis in a sand storm."

Looking over at the other two, Bahram greets them as well. "Shagar, Tsuan." he says her name slowly. "Did I get that right? I'm beginning to get excited again. We're going to have some fun."

Maybe I'll make my big find this time around.

The Exchange

NG Human Female Ninja 1 [AC 17 (T 13, FF 14) | HP 11/11 | F +2, R +5, W +0 | Init +5, Perception +4]

"That's correct, Bahram." Tsuan beams. Many people accept the distortion of their names to properly assimilate into Avistanian society. She does not.

"Onu, you are most welcome here." Tsuan bows deeply.

Dark Archive

Female Half Elf Swashbuckler 1 Init+3 HP 13/13 AC 15 T 12 FF13 Fort+2 Ref+4 Will+2 Perc+6 Spd 30

The seas, a ship, a port… Evylyn is in excellent mood when she arrives at the Lodge.

There's nothing that beats the salty winds, the wildness of the waves, the creaking of a ship, the rum, the rough friendship of a crew… Now that I am back on land, let's see what the Pathfinders have in stock for me, by Besmara's heavy bosom!

The young half elf nearly struts her way in the lodge's room, still sporting an old tricorn, weathered clothes, and a sharp rapier by her side. A beaming smile on her face, she walks toward the ragtag group

Another kind of crew right here! You're Pathfinders too, I expect? My name is Evelyn Kellbor. Is there something to drink here? Something strong, but not too strong?

Grand Lodge

Male Half-orc Bard (archaeologist) / 1 HP 9/9 | AC 15 F 11 T 14 | Init +1 | F +3 R +5 W +4 | Perception (0) | Darkvision 60' | Spells 1st: 2/2 | luck 3/7

Smiling at all of the new people, Bahram looks to Evelyn, and says, "Yes. This is always my favorite part. Making up a new 'crew,' forming new friendships, and finding how to work together. It's like a puzzle, isn't?"

Bahram walks around the room, making eye contact with each potential pathfinder adventure buddy and settling down to find a drink.
Looking down, Bahram admits to himself, out loud of course.
"Well, that's not actually true. Finding long lost treasures is far and away the most exciting thing I've ever experienced." Looking back to the Pathfinders, he continues, "But the thing about you guys is definitely a strong second. or possibly third."

The Exchange

NG Human Female Ninja 1 [AC 17 (T 13, FF 14) | HP 11/11 | F +2, R +5, W +0 | Init +5, Perception +4]

"Where have you been? Have any of you been to Ustalav or the Riverlands?"

Grand Lodge

Male CN Oread Ectoplasmatist (Spiritualist) 1 | HP 6/10, 1str dmg | AC 16, touch 15, flat-footed 15 | CMB +4, CMD 15 | Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +5 | Init +1 | Perception +4, Sense Motive +3 | Speed 15ft | Treacherous earth: 1/1 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: None.

"It's more of a honing of skills I seek, I think." Onu focuses for a couple of seconds, and his arms fade to an incorporeal translucent white, while a tendril of something more real than his arms worms its way out of his chest. "I've done some reading and found out that this thing can have much uses if I train hard with it. I hope to achieve such skills."

Grand Lodge

F Half-Orc Investigator(empiricist) 2 | HP 15/15| AC 16 T 13 FF 13 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F: +3, R: +8, W: +5 | Init: +3 | Perc: +10, SM: +8 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. Inspiriation +1d6 5/day)

Shagar stays quiet while everyone else talks. She breaks out her journal, pen, and ink, and begins to jot down her observations of what these people are talking about, mannerisms, and the like.

The Exchange

NG Human Female Ninja 1 [AC 17 (T 13, FF 14) | HP 11/11 | F +2, R +5, W +0 | Init +5, Perception +4]

Tsuan surreptitiously tries to see what Shagar is writing about her.

Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13


As you make your introductions, you can hear voices from a back room of the lodge. Then, footsteps start coming towards you.

Before long, you see the head of the Augustana lodge, Venture-Captain Caudron Wallace. A middle-aged but fit man with greying temples, he looks annoyed as he enters the main hall.

”Thank you all for coming. This may very well prove to be a fool's errand, and, if so, I apologise in advance. I can’t believe we are wasting our time on this matter. Frankly, I want as little to do with it as possible, but apparently my report back to Absalom piqued the interest of the Decemvirate.” He nods towards a door at the back of the room. “The vagrant through there was found collapsed on our front steps gripping a wayfinder of all things. We still don’t know who he is. Talk to him, for the tale he tells is amazing if true, and then come back here.”


The door at the back of the main room leads to a small sitting room with six comfortable chairs and a few bookshelves filled with the latest editions of the Pathfinder Chronicles.

An old, withered man sits in one of the chairs, half-dozing. His skin is shockingly pale and his features are sharp with high cheekbones and a jutting chin; although he’s incredibly filthy and rather old, when he suddenly wakes up at your entry, he gives you a look of absolute, confident superiority!

”My loyal subjects, welcome! I know that some of you might not recognize me in my current state, but it is truly me, Gandros, the long-lost Prince of Augustana. I have been in hiding since the untimely death of my father, the Emperor, preparing for my return to glory. Unfortunately, I bear ill news. The army I have been gathering in the otherworld has been infiltrated by agents of our enemies. When last I called my forces together for inspection, dark assassins attacked me and I barely escaped with my life.”

The self-proclaimed Prince of Augustana then rolls up the sleeve of his ragged and dirty shirt to reveal a series of recently inflicted claw and tooth marks on his right forearm.

Without pause or allowance for interruptions, he launches into a breathless narrative. ”I fled back through the magic portal to this realm. Grievously wounded, and with the assassins in close pursuit, I leapt into the dark river. I floated past the Almsman’s Sanctuary, but couldn’t climb out of the water. I did manage to grab one of the bridges, but a plank fell in with me. I held on for dear life and continued to drift downstream. I went over a waterfall and then emerged in the lake of ships and crawled to shore. Augustana has changed since I last walked my city’s bright streets, but I managed to find this house, bearing the symbol of my father’s empire.” He holds up the wayfinder hanging from a chain around his neck. ”I knew I would find help here! If you remove the threat from my kingdom below and help restore me to my rightful place as Emperor of Andoran, I will grant you any boon within my power!”

The Exchange

NG Human Female Ninja 1 [AC 17 (T 13, FF 14) | HP 11/11 | F +2, R +5, W +0 | Init +5, Perception +4]

Tsuan is suspicious of his story.

Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 17

Whatever she suspects or does not suspect, Tsuan bows deeply at the waist and treats him as he likely expects to be treated.

Bluff, if necessary: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

"Your Highness," she begins, "You must allow me to take care of your wounds."

Tsuan washes the wound with water and wraps it but primarily tries to get a good look (and show the team the wound). She tries to determine the size and shape of the attacker that caused his wounds.

Heal: 1d20 ⇒ 8

Tsuan also offers a map of the area and asks him to point out any locations he can remember.

"We must of course find this kingdom of yours."

Grand Lodge

Male CN Oread Ectoplasmatist (Spiritualist) 1 | HP 6/10, 1str dmg | AC 16, touch 15, flat-footed 15 | CMB +4, CMD 15 | Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +5 | Init +1 | Perception +4, Sense Motive +3 | Speed 15ft | Treacherous earth: 1/1 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: None.

Onu nods. "We'll help you."

Grand Lodge

F Half-Orc Investigator(empiricist) 2 | HP 15/15| AC 16 T 13 FF 13 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F: +3, R: +8, W: +5 | Init: +3 | Perc: +10, SM: +8 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. Inspiriation +1d6 5/day)

Know(Insert appropriate test, all are same bonus): 1d20 + 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (2) + (2) + 8 = 12

What do we know of Gandros, and the land he comes from Augastana?

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

Is he telling the truth?

Shagar looks up from her journal after jotting down what the man says, discerning (or attempting to) the truthfulness of his statements.

"What were the assassins, hitting you with claw and tooth not metal blades?"


Gandros deigns to allow Tsuan to minister to his wounds. In response to a question about the location of his kingdom, he sputters ”Such importunity! All in the imperial realm know the grand throne room of the Prince of Augustana! For is it not paved with gold and diamond, floating on clouds of gemstone, and more beautiful than the most pristine lake?”

To Onu and Shagar, Gandros says ”Curs! Address myself with the courtesy befitting one of the noblest blood and of high station! Am I not the most renowned Prince of Augustana? Indeed, I am none other!”

Tsuan:
You have a hunch that Gandros isn’t a liar—maybe just delusional! Examining the wounds, you unfortunately can’t tell what caused them.

Shagar:
You’ve never heard of Gandros before. You know Augustana is the second-largest city in Andoran and a major seaport. Andoran has been republic for decades, and, as far as you know, there’s never been an “emperor” in its history. But despite this, Gandros really seems to believe this bizarre claim he’s making to be son of the “Emperor” and the current “Prince of Augustana”.

Dark Archive

Female Half Elf Swashbuckler 1 Init+3 HP 13/13 AC 15 T 12 FF13 Fort+2 Ref+4 Will+2 Perc+6 Spd 30

What in the blue deeps happened to that man?

Evelyn looks at the strange looking (beggar?) man.

Sorry, your highness, I'm not used to deal with royalty. Would you like something to drink too?


"Yes, yes! My host has neglected to provide me with refreshments. No peerage for him!"

Grand Lodge

Male Half-orc Bard (archaeologist) / 1 HP 9/9 | AC 15 F 11 T 14 | Init +1 | F +3 R +5 W +4 | Perception (0) | Darkvision 60' | Spells 1st: 2/2 | luck 3/7

Listening this this man's story, and the reactions of his peers, Bahram finds himself fighting to keep a grin off of his face.

I wonder if he has suffered some sort of malady. Perhaps even a magical affliction. I don't think that he would respond well to me casting detect magic on him though. Maybe latter. Gandros...Prince of Augustana...

kn. local: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Doesn't ring a bell. I wonder if he has suffered some sort of malady. Maybe even some sort of magical affliction. I don't think that he would take it so well if I were to cast detect magic on him at this point in time, however. Perhaps latter.

Sitting, with his own drink, close to Gandros, Bahram addresses him "That is quite the harrowing tale Your Royal Highness! I dare say, they will be telling stories and writing books of your journey back to your throne for centuries! Please, regale us of what you can up to this point so that we can be of more service to your highness. What do you know of these 'dark assassins'? And what of the magical gates? Who created them for you, and can they still be found?" Bahram leans forward with his empty hand propping up his pointy bearded chin.

Grand Lodge

F Half-Orc Investigator(empiricist) 2 | HP 15/15| AC 16 T 13 FF 13 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F: +3, R: +8, W: +5 | Init: +3 | Perc: +10, SM: +8 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. Inspiriation +1d6 5/day)

"With the humblest excuses, My Lord, I must beg a question. As far as I am aware, Andoran is a Republic and doesn't have an Emperor. Much less how you can be a prince."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-orc Bard (archaeologist) / 1 HP 9/9 | AC 15 F 11 T 14 | Init +1 | F +3 R +5 W +4 | Perception (0) | Darkvision 60' | Spells 1st: 2/2 | luck 3/7

Bahram winces a slight bit.

The Exchange

NG Human Female Ninja 1 [AC 17 (T 13, FF 14) | HP 11/11 | F +2, R +5, W +0 | Init +5, Perception +4]

"Your Highness, forgive my ignorance. As you may be able to tell, I am not from this area, and have not heard of your magnificent kingdom. My family has traveled thousands of leagues to learn of splendor such as yours. Would you be willing to walk us around town to show us the path you took to get here?"

Grand Lodge

Male CN Oread Ectoplasmatist (Spiritualist) 1 | HP 6/10, 1str dmg | AC 16, touch 15, flat-footed 15 | CMB +4, CMD 15 | Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +5 | Init +1 | Perception +4, Sense Motive +3 | Speed 15ft | Treacherous earth: 1/1 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: None.

"Sorry, your highness." Onu mumbles.


Gandros listens to Bahram’s question, though it’s clear the old man’s attention span is short. ”Yes, yes. Dark assassins! Evil they were, with knives like claws and claws like knives and teeth the color of slate! And where were my bodyguards? Nowhere to be found! My royal personage was assaulted, but the son of the Emperor is quick-thinking and spry! Usurpers will find no purchase upon my royal realm.”

When Shagar asks her question, Gandros’s eyes fill with fury at the half-orc. ”Vile treason! Perfidy! Seditious libel! Guards! Guards! Where is the royal executioner?”

The ranting continues until Venture-Captain Wallace pokes his head in the room, having heard the disturbance. The man sighs wearily and says ”Ahem, your divinely-ordained lordship, I’ll deal with this . . . grave crime . . . . Perhaps you would care for a brief respite from your duties? A short nap, perhaps?”

Gandros stops raving, and nods at Wallace. ”Yes, yes, thank you chamberlain. I’ve heard enough petitions from plebeians this day. I shall retire to the royal boudoir and ponder the fate of men and nations.”

With that, Gandros promptly lowers his chin to his chest and starts snoring. Wallace motions for you to join him in the main hall, and quietly shuts the door behind you.

”Now you see what I’ve had to put up with! The man is intolerable. If I had my druthers, I’d . . . However, my diviners say that there is some truth to his story. There has never been a Prince of Augustana, nor an Emperor in Andoran, but the old fellow has a surprising amount of knowledge of the pre-revolution noble families of the city. He may be the lost scion of some noble line. If so, he’s fallen far. From the filth and stink on him when we found him, we’re fairly certain he’s been living in or near a sewer. The wayfinder is also a mystery, but for now, it makes him, and I say this reluctantly, one of ours.”

”However, I’m more interested in his supposed gate to the otherworld. If it exists, I want to know about it. Implausible as it may seem, I’m certain that his injuries were caused by otherworldly beings. We must take the possibility of a portal seriously. I don’t want to dirty my hands with this, but you don’t have that choice. Retrace the old man’s path through the sewers. The Almsman, whom he repeatedly mentions, is rumoured to be an eccentric priest who runs some sort of hidden beggar’s sanctuary in the sewers. He may know where our prince’s portal is, if you can find him. But be warned; a local gang calling themselves the Steel Wyverns claims the sewers near the Alman’s Sanctuary as their own territory.”

Venture-Captain Wallace searches through drawer before pulling out a map of the harbor area of Augustana. ”From the man’s description, I suspect he emerged from a sewer outlet near the north harbor. I can’t pinpoint it any better, but hopefully it’ll be enough for you to go on.”

”And finally, some letters were sent here for each of you.”

Evelyn:
The letter says: “My Fellow Righteous Believer,
Our masters demand our obedience and reward us with preeminence among nations. This power is ours alone! I am deeply
troubled by the recent developments in Augustana, for if an insane beggar can call upon the anarchic power of demons and
unleash chaos on the land, the very pillars of our society will be eroded!
The naive morons you serve do not realize that it is demons that their beggar prince has called forth. If he has somehow truly
found a portal to another realm, or a way to open one, we must know. Find whatever you can about the origins of these demonic
powers, even if just the spent remains of some arcane device, and bring them to us for study!
Achingly Yours,
Paracountess Zarta Dralneen”

Seldiir, Bahram, Onu, and Shagar:
The letter says: Most Worthy Subject of the Ruby Prince,
You are far from home and traveling among strange folk in strange lands. Know that you are not alone. Other agents of
Osirion have gone before you and you may feel lost and alone, but another is far more so than you.
Pteliut the Keen was investigating the means by which foreigners move the relics they steal from our lands. From his last
report, he was investigating a possible ring of smugglers among the sewers under Augustana. He has missed two check-ins
since and we fear the worst.
You will know Pteliut by the tattoos of the crook and the flail on his wrists. Find him if you can. If he lives, aid him if he needs
it, but do not unveil his subterfuge.
Respectfully,
Amenopheus, The Sapphire Sage”

Tsuan:
The letter says: Honored Emissary of the Satrap,
This journey your fellow Pathfinders dispatched you on is a filthy waste of time and beneath your station. If they valued you
as we do, surely they would not have you sully yourself thus. However, it is best to turn every situation to our advantage, and
there is a means by which you can forward our cause.
There is a man known as the Almsman who lives among the beggars who hide in the Augustana sewers. Those who know of
him praise his charitable works, but we know that in his heart he is a man of business. The Almsman has the connections and
wherewithal to bring goods in or out of Augustana, while avoiding the unwanted scrutiny of the tariff assessors. We would like
to establish contact with him.
Deliver to him the coded contact phrase “I met a man who wore a mask like yours in Absalom; he was a silk merchant.” His
reply will begin “I know the man...” and then a code phrase indicating where and when we may meet with him. Pay careful heed
to his response, and deliver the words he speaks to us through the normal means.
Kind Regards,
Pasha Muhlia Al-Jakri”

Grand Lodge

F Half-Orc Investigator(empiricist) 2 | HP 15/15| AC 16 T 13 FF 13 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F: +3, R: +8, W: +5 | Init: +3 | Perc: +10, SM: +8 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. Inspiriation +1d6 5/day)

Shagar nods and reads her letter, as usual jotting down notes of value. She stays quiet, only the sound of quill on parchment being heard.

The Exchange

NG Human Female Ninja 1 [AC 17 (T 13, FF 14) | HP 11/11 | F +2, R +5, W +0 | Init +5, Perception +4]

Tsuan finds her letter distasteful, so she rips it into little pieces and eats it.

Dark Archive

Female Half Elf Swashbuckler 1 Init+3 HP 13/13 AC 15 T 12 FF13 Fort+2 Ref+4 Will+2 Perc+6 Spd 30

Evelyn eyes narrows, as she reads the letter.

Well, not sure I'll be able to do that.I can try, sure...


DC 15 Knowledge (local) or Diplomacy (Gather Information):
The Steel Wyverns were once the most powerful criminal organization in the city, but they have been in decline for decades. Now they are a rag-tag gang of thugs and petty crooks. The wyverns prefer to fight with spiked chains, which they call “Wyvern stings.”

DC 20 Knowledge (local) or Diplomacy (Gather Information):
The Almsman recently started providing sanctuary and assistance to the city’s beggars. He is a mysterious figure who wears a mask, but most folk believe he is a priest. Most of the city’s poor do not know where his sanctuary is—those who do know won’t tell.

Dark Archive

Female Half Elf Swashbuckler 1 Init+3 HP 13/13 AC 15 T 12 FF13 Fort+2 Ref+4 Will+2 Perc+6 Spd 30

Know local: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

I'm new to town, fresh from the boarding ship. Does anyone knows anything about that gang, the "Still Vipers" or something like that?

The Exchange

NG Human Female Ninja 1 [AC 17 (T 13, FF 14) | HP 11/11 | F +2, R +5, W +0 | Init +5, Perception +4]

Tsuan is wearing peasant's clothes. Are they sufficiently poor looking that she could pass for a beggar?

If yes, she will find beggars and ask if they know where the Almsman is, saying that she has some tribute that she owes (a few copper pieces).

Bluff roll to pretend she's a beggar:
Bluff: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

If not, she will Diplome like the plebes.

Gather Information:
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Grand Lodge

Male Half-orc Bard (archaeologist) / 1 HP 9/9 | AC 15 F 11 T 14 | Init +1 | F +3 R +5 W +4 | Perception (0) | Darkvision 60' | Spells 1st: 2/2 | luck 3/7

kn. local: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

"Steel Wyverns...clever. I'm sure it should be spelled s.t.e.a.l."

Looking to the other pathfinder's letters, Bahram wonders what they entail. Are they the same as his? Are each of the pathfinders going to be pitted against one another or are they all unrelated? Tsuan ate hers. No getting information there. Hope she doesn't get ink poisoning. Help a double agent. That sounds fun, actually![/I]

Looking to Evelyn Bahram says, "Secret missions can be very exciting, but also very difficult without any assistance from one another." With one eyebrow raised.

Grand Lodge

F Half-Orc Investigator(empiricist) 2 | HP 15/15| AC 16 T 13 FF 13 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F: +3, R: +8, W: +5 | Init: +3 | Perc: +10, SM: +8 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. Inspiriation +1d6 5/day)

Know(Local): 1d20 + 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (1) + (5) + 8 = 14
LOL
Diplomacy(Gather Info): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

"The Steel Wyverns are a petty gang that likes to attack with spiked clubs. The Almsman recently started providing sanctuary and assistance to the city’s beggars. He is a mysterious figure who wears a mask, but most folk believe he is a priest. Most of the city’s poor do not know where his sanctuary is—those who do know won’t tell."

The Exchange

NG Human Female Ninja 1 [AC 17 (T 13, FF 14) | HP 11/11 | F +2, R +5, W +0 | Init +5, Perception +4]

Tsuan notices Bahram looking at her funny.

"My note opened with a statement that this mission was beneath me. I hate people who have such attitudes."

Fortitude: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

The scroll doesn't agree with Tsuan's stomach and she throws up a little.

She non-chalantly wipes her mouth with her sleeve and continues ranting.

"Some of these bean counters need to spend some time in the real world getting their hands dirty."

And Tsuan wonders why she was unsuccessful at Gathering Information from the public ...

Grand Lodge

Male Half-orc Bard (archaeologist) / 1 HP 9/9 | AC 15 F 11 T 14 | Init +1 | F +3 R +5 W +4 | Perception (0) | Darkvision 60' | Spells 1st: 2/2 | luck 3/7

Looking around as the last of the Pathfinders finish their letters, bahram tucks his away and says, "It seems we are off to the sewers. Anyone need to make a stop before heading to North harbour? Pick up some potpourri, perhaps? If not, I think that I am ready, unless there is an alchemist shop nearby. My potions could stand to be replenished. Do you know if any such place venture-Captain Wallace?"


Venture-Captain Wallace is able to provide directions to a nearby alchemist. After any necessary purchases are made, the team reaches the north harbor of Augustana. Although it's a chilly, rainy day, the place is crowded with dockworkers, sailors, and merchants. The map that you were shown indicates this area as the likely place that Gandros emerged from the sewers, but finding a way in may take some searching.

Augustana is a sizable city, and you can make any purchases allowed by the PFS Guide.

In order to find the sewer pipe that Gandros used, I'll need a Perception, Diplomacy (Gather Information), or Knowledge (local) check. The Perception check takes an hour, the Diplomacy (Gather Information) check takes 1d4 hours, and a Knowledge (local) takes no time but can't be retried.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-orc Bard (archaeologist) / 1 HP 9/9 | AC 15 F 11 T 14 | Init +1 | F +3 R +5 W +4 | Perception (0) | Darkvision 60' | Spells 1st: 2/2 | luck 3/7

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Bahram finds it mildly entertaining asking the local if they know a good place to pop a squat. He knows it's not the best way to inquire about the sewers, but he can't seem to help himself.

I'm going to check what I can buy by pfs and make my purchases shortly, thanks.

Grand Lodge

F Half-Orc Investigator(empiricist) 2 | HP 15/15| AC 16 T 13 FF 13 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F: +3, R: +8, W: +5 | Init: +3 | Perc: +10, SM: +8 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. Inspiriation +1d6 5/day)

PER: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22

Shagar looks around the area, trying to find clues and traces to which sewer pipe was used by Gandros. Hopefully, I won't get to icky from all the nastiness in the sewers!

Grand Lodge

Male CN Oread Ectoplasmatist (Spiritualist) 1 | HP 6/10, 1str dmg | AC 16, touch 15, flat-footed 15 | CMB +4, CMD 15 | Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +5 | Init +1 | Perception +4, Sense Motive +3 | Speed 15ft | Treacherous earth: 1/1 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: None.

perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

I'm pretty sure Onu finds the sewer pipe and peers inside.

The Exchange

NG Human Female Ninja 1 [AC 17 (T 13, FF 14) | HP 11/11 | F +2, R +5, W +0 | Init +5, Perception +4]

Aid Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

Tsuan helps the person with the highest modifier (Shagar).

Dark Archive

Female Half Elf Swashbuckler 1 Init+3 HP 13/13 AC 15 T 12 FF13 Fort+2 Ref+4 Will+2 Perc+6 Spd 30

Know Local: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

I think I've seen some sewers down here…Let me check


The Pathfinders split up and take different approaches to finding a likely sewer entrance.

Shagar and Tsuan work together, scanning each side of the streets, and in barely an hour they find an outflow pipe under a breaker. Only, Evelyn is already there, having figured out the location just minutes after everyone left! It turns out there was only one logical place based on the layout of the harbor, the slope of the area, and the layout of the streets as seen on Venture-Captain Wallace’s map. The three are able to flag down Onu, who walks past the entrance multiple times, distracted by all the activity in the harbor.

Bahram braves the rain for almost three hours asking around. Most people just laugh, but he finally finds a fellow half-orc willing to talk. ”Ayuh, sometimes merchants give me silver to scoop up a body that’s stuck against the grate there. It just pops right off.” Bahram finds the others there waiting, and someone fetches Seldiir.

The sewer pipe leads into a tunnel that’s about fifteen feet wide and ten feet high. It’s hard to see far into the darkness, but it looks like a channel of effluvium covers the bottom to a depth of almost five feet.

The channel can be waded through (treat as difficult terrain) or swam in; if you’re swimming, the current is swift and flowing against you, so you’ll move 20’ back towards the entrance at the end of every round. The DC to Swim is 10 and you can take 10.

GM Dice:
hours: 1d4 ⇒ 3

Grand Lodge

Male Half-orc Bard (archaeologist) / 1 HP 9/9 | AC 15 F 11 T 14 | Init +1 | F +3 R +5 W +4 | Perception (0) | Darkvision 60' | Spells 1st: 2/2 | luck 3/7

Looking at the poop river and then his companions, 'That looks pretty deep. Anyone need a piggy back ride?"

The Exchange

NG Human Female Ninja 1 [AC 17 (T 13, FF 14) | HP 11/11 | F +2, R +5, W +0 | Init +5, Perception +4]

Tsuan shrugs.

"It's just feces. Could be worse."

She lights a torch and peers in.

"Who wants to go first?"

She's willing to if nobody steps up.

Grand Lodge

F Half-Orc Investigator(empiricist) 2 | HP 15/15| AC 16 T 13 FF 13 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F: +3, R: +8, W: +5 | Init: +3 | Perc: +10, SM: +8 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. Inspiriation +1d6 5/day)

"Lets think for a second for everyone. Give someone rope to take across, then someone here hold it, and we can form a line to aid in crossing. Someone did bring rope, right?"

Shagar looks in her pack and frowns, realizing that she didn't bring any for herself!

Dark Archive

Female Half Elf Swashbuckler 1 Init+3 HP 13/13 AC 15 T 12 FF13 Fort+2 Ref+4 Will+2 Perc+6 Spd 30

What kind of sailor would I be, if I didn't had a bit o'rope in my "pack? Do you need the hook too?

Evelyn starts to expertly unroll a length of rope, with a grappling hook at one end

And it's not some cheap rope either, that could burn your soft hands. A shame to drag it in the sh*t and filth! Ah, I'll guess I'll buy a new one after that mission. Bit of luck I wasn't too attached to that one..

She smirks

[ooc]Silk rope, 50 feet, and grappling hook[/b]

Grand Lodge

Male Half-orc Bard (archaeologist) / 1 HP 9/9 | AC 15 F 11 T 14 | Init +1 | F +3 R +5 W +4 | Perception (0) | Darkvision 60' | Spells 1st: 2/2 | luck 3/7

"tying off a rope to each of us is a grand idea. You never know what kind of undercurrents we might encounter. I have no experience in sewers and have no idea what dangers I should be looking for, but I could go first."

I think I made that sound like it would be a better idea for someone else to lead without sounding unwilling. But it would make me look good, going in front.


With Bahram taking the lead and Tsuan holding a torch so everyone can see, the roped-together Pathfinders head into the sewer pipe. It's a foul and disgusting experience, but no ever said life as a Pathfinder would be glamorous!

I need everyone to roll a Fortitude save--this is a disease effect.

1 to 50 of 422 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gameplay Thread for GM Jhaeman's "The Prince of Augustana" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.