Boston Theoretical PbP

Game Master Tarren Dei

Transdimensional superheroes.
Starfinder+ for modern day superpowers.


8,501 to 8,550 of 11,207 << first < prev | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | next > last >>

"F~~#!" curses Guardian Nine. You hear her speak the word and you feel the translation immediately in your brain. Now, you all know the Utopian word for 'F!#&!' ("Pak!").

She looks embarrassed. An explanation follows. "I assumed we would be eating inside and it would be easy for Communicator to slip away into his office."

She starts leading the entourage across the footbridge to the outdoor pagoda.


Female Halfling Solarian | HP:51/51, SP:49/49, RP:8/9 | AC:20 | F:+6, R:+12, W:+7/+9v.Fear | Perc:+3, Init:+9 | 12v.Fire

Nissa asks the Communicator (telepathically, of course), Can you communicate with me from afar? And can you sense where I am even if I am too small to perceive?

If yes, and if the place you want me to go is where you can reach me telepathically, I can move to the desired location unseen.


Stamina84/84HP 46/46 KAC 16 EAC 16 [b]Fort +9, Ref +4, Will +4

Legato stifles a chuckle at the curse. The fact they do curse makes them feel less strange despite the social constructs feeling strange to a drifter like himself.


Male
Skills:
Acro +18|Ath +18|Diplo +17|Intim +8|Myst +6|Percep +11|SM +6|Stealth +12
Human|SP 22/54 HP 42/42|EAC 14 KAC 16 ACvCM 24|Fort +10 Ref +9 Will +8|Init +2|RP 3/3 Godling (mighty)/7th|Speed 40ft. (40ft.)|Retribution (8/8 a day)|Agile Feet (Su) (4/4x a day)|Smite Rival (1x/day)|Channel Energy 4d6 (4/4x a day)
Henri Patineur wrote:

”Shall we go with style, godling?”

Henri gestures to the stepping stones.

Theo smirks. "After you, speedster."


Okay, so, here's the deal ... there are choices you can make as you cross ... both of you have an acrobatics of 18, so a 25 would be easy for you. You can choose one of three paths:
(1) "It will look cool if I leap from stone to stone, taking the most direct route." (DC 23)
(2) "Oh, here's a stone that's a bit of a leap to the left. That would be a dramatic leap!" (DC 28)
(3) "Two impressive leaps and I'm on the pagoda! I'm a demi-god" (DC 33).
You need to declare your choice before you roll the Acrobatics check. If you don't meet the DC of the path you declared, then you slip and you get ZERO APPLAUSE. If you succeed while the other fails, you get ALL THE APPLAUSE. Good luck, gentlemen.


Male
Skills:
Acro +18|Ath +18|Diplo +17|Intim +8|Myst +6|Percep +11|SM +6|Stealth +12
Human|SP 22/54 HP 42/42|EAC 14 KAC 16 ACvCM 24|Fort +10 Ref +9 Will +8|Init +2|RP 3/3 Godling (mighty)/7th|Speed 40ft. (40ft.)|Retribution (8/8 a day)|Agile Feet (Su) (4/4x a day)|Smite Rival (1x/day)|Channel Energy 4d6 (4/4x a day)

Well, despite that Theo is in love with his Healer, and one of his crass quips was received as 'words of wisdom', Theo doesn't want to look the fool, so The Olympian is going for the most direct route.


Male
Skills:
Acro +18|Ath +18|Diplo +17|Intim +8|Myst +6|Percep +11|SM +6|Stealth +12
Human|SP 22/54 HP 42/42|EAC 14 KAC 16 ACvCM 24|Fort +10 Ref +9 Will +8|Init +2|RP 3/3 Godling (mighty)/7th|Speed 40ft. (40ft.)|Retribution (8/8 a day)|Agile Feet (Su) (4/4x a day)|Smite Rival (1x/day)|Channel Energy 4d6 (4/4x a day)

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (10) + 18 = 28


You can beat that, Henri. Try something impressive?


Human Zoomer (Battle Medic) 7 [ Stamina 58/63 | Hit Points 49/49 | Resolve 8/9 | KAC 18 | EAC 18 | F4 R11 W6 (+1 Fort vs disease or poison, evasion, immunity to flat-flooted, fire resist 7) | Init +9 | Perc +10 | Sneak +12 | Acro +18 ]

Henri claps at the nimble warrior before backing up to take a running start.

Just to show off (and make Theo look good if he fails), Henri will attempt the second option. As an aside, I just realized that due to the bonus from his speed, Henri's bonus to jumping is also +18.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (3) + 18 = 21

Hahaha!

The slight scientist takes off at a run toward the stepping stones. With long strides, he skips the second and fourth stones before trying to cut from the fifth to another stone just out of line of the others, losing his footing and missing the landing. At that point, the jig is up as it becomes clear to all watching that he didn't need the stones at all! He lands on the water as though it was solid ground, begins laughing at being caught out, and jogs the rest of the way across the water, avoiding the remaining stones entirely.

Walking up to Theo, he grabs his friend's right hand and raises it to indicate the victor!


Guardian Four stands and claps for Theo, thoroughly delighted. He is almost ready to sit when Henri starts his antics. He's ready to laugh at Henri's fall and then gapes open-mouthed at Henri's skating across the water. He applauds wildly and makes two of his entourage move so Theo and Henri can sit close to him.

"There!" says Guardian Nine through the Communicator. "That's distracting enough. Head to the main house. I'll make excuses for you. Go. Now. Take a sharp right. Oh, she's talking to me! I should take a sharp right ..."

It takes a second for the Communicator to realize she's being talked to not talked through. She turns to her right and, mostly unnoticed, walks towards a larger building.

"Welcome! Welcome!" says Guardian Four in a much better mood now that he's had some rare entertainment. "I want to know everything about your world! Where's the one who was going to tell us about how babies are made?"

"She'll be joining us momentarily," says Nine. "She had to make some notes on the writing she s---"

"Never mind," interrupts Four. Turning to Theo, "Young man, perhaps you could tell us how babies are made. Did I understand that the young glowing woman is your daughter?"

Across the table, the Healer that Theo intimately touched with his mind blushes deeply and watches eagerly for Theo's answer.


Female Halfling Solarian | HP:51/51, SP:49/49, RP:8/9 | AC:20 | F:+6, R:+12, W:+7/+9v.Fear | Perc:+3, Init:+9 | 12v.Fire

From within the Communicator’s pocket, Nissa says, Let me know when I can come out. Remember I can pass through a solid wall, if it’s easier for you to guide me from outside, looking through a window.


Male
Skills:
Acro +18|Ath +18|Diplo +17|Intim +8|Myst +6|Percep +11|SM +6|Stealth +12
Human|SP 22/54 HP 42/42|EAC 14 KAC 16 ACvCM 24|Fort +10 Ref +9 Will +8|Init +2|RP 3/3 Godling (mighty)/7th|Speed 40ft. (40ft.)|Retribution (8/8 a day)|Agile Feet (Su) (4/4x a day)|Smite Rival (1x/day)|Channel Energy 4d6 (4/4x a day)
Tarren the Dungeon Master wrote:

"Never mind," interrupts Four. Turning to Theo, "Young man, perhaps you could tell us how babies are made. Did I understand that the young glowing woman is your daughter?"

Across the table, the Healer that Theo intimately touched with his mind blushes deeply and watches eagerly for Theo's answer.

Theo was truly caught unawares. One, he was asked to 'have the talk' with an alien/far future society. And two, his Healer was finally there with him , and the godling's stomach was going all butterflies.

"Um", Theo stumbled, and chuckled to himself. "This subject isn't known to be a dinner subject, but I'll give it go.."

For the sake of Paizo forum guidelines, Theo will not describe things in detail; but generalities.

What proceeded was Theo's explanation of both genders, their erogenous zones, the importance of kissing, foreplay, types of foreplay, then the various acts of sex; such as oral, anal, missionary, doggy style, reverse cowboy, etc. ALL THE WHILE, Theo was taking quick glances at his Healer as described some acts, quickly getting aroused under the table as he talked.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (11) + 17 = 28


Male Chimera... thing Soldier 7 | HP 55/55 SP 77/77 | KAC 23 EAC 21 | F +9 R +3 W +6 (+2 vs. mind-affecting) | Init +5 | Perc: +10 | RP 9/9 | Current form: Chimera
Head Text Key:
Bold--right 'dinosaur' head | Plain text--middle fox head | Italic--left jaguar head

Charles quietly consider the seats, seeing if any will suit their... unique anatomy, even in their slightly more humanoid form. They contribute nothing to the current topic of conversation, thinking it best not to mention how PhDestruction had made certain they couldn't share their genetics, at least in the ordinary way.


Human Zoomer (Battle Medic) 7 [ Stamina 58/63 | Hit Points 49/49 | Resolve 8/9 | KAC 18 | EAC 18 | F4 R11 W6 (+1 Fort vs disease or poison, evasion, immunity to flat-flooted, fire resist 7) | Init +9 | Perc +10 | Sneak +12 | Acro +18 ]

Henri thoroughly enjoys playing the fool to Theo’s hero and bows with a flourish at the applause.

As Theo relates “the act” and pauses for the right phrase to avoid offending anyone, Henri offers some of the facts of the biology involved. But he leaves the fun parts for the godling to explain.


The Utopians discuss this among themselves with some degree of concern and shock.

It's one of the Healers who finally speaks. "We know all about sex and have a rather extensive library for those who explore it. We Healers have long claimed that sex and reproduction were linked, but we seem to have lost this capacity," he explains. "Many of us have sex regularly but we have not been able to conceive children."

"...yet" adds the Healer who had intimate mind-sex with Theo. She glances at Theo and blushes.

Some people at the table still seem to disbelieve that sex and reproduction were or are in any way linked, but the Healers and some Minders look triumphant. They KNEW it!


Stamina84/84HP 46/46 KAC 16 EAC 16 [b]Fort +9, Ref +4, Will +4

Legato pulls out his phone and types out a short story while Theo uh.. regales in a lesson on biology to the aliens. Legato happy just to avoid it. But does chime near the end.
"Well if you open the portals later, you best find out if ya can have kiddos with offworlders. Might be unworking for ya'll to ya'll. But mixing on a new might spark a baby."
Giving a cough and glance at Theo since he seems to have a goal with the healer, and Legato wants a fan fic setting for his online hobby.


Human Zoomer (Battle Medic) 7 [ Stamina 58/63 | Hit Points 49/49 | Resolve 8/9 | KAC 18 | EAC 18 | F4 R11 W6 (+1 Fort vs disease or poison, evasion, immunity to flat-flooted, fire resist 7) | Init +9 | Perc +10 | Sneak +12 | Acro +18 ]

”Indeed. Reproduction is considered by many to be a miracle as even the most learned biologists find there to be questions they cannot answer about why it works. And as a result, why it doesn’t work for some.”


Nissa in the pocket:
The Communicator walking with Nissa in her pocket heads around the pond, across the yard and then into a building. She thinks to Nissa, "Come out of my pocket. I have something to show you."

Assuming Nissa does, she pulls open a drawer of the sole desk in what looks like a very nice office. She opens the top drawer in which there is only one folder. She shows it to Nissa. Nissa recognizes some of the symbols, enough to know the first page is a list of names.

The Communicator begins to flip through the pages and giving Nissa more information as she does. The names are the oldest citizens of Utopia ... those who have lived to the age of 72. The papers that follow are their official records, including the amount of food and labour needed to sustain them.

"These are them. Guardian Four has already made the list. These are the people who we can no longer feed if Mother Utopia continues to give us a child each day. The Guardians are still discussing how they will do it but ... you understand what they are thinking ... I can't even contemplate it myself."

She points at the number beside the last name. The numbering system is not Atlantean. "115. Next year, they will gently kill 115 of our oldest and most beloved. The year after, even more."


Female Halfling Solarian | HP:51/51, SP:49/49, RP:8/9 | AC:20 | F:+6, R:+12, W:+7/+9v.Fear | Perc:+3, Init:+9 | 12v.Fire

Communi—Kate!—or:
Nissa flutters over the list. That… that is about as dystopian as it gets. Thank you. I… I think we need to stay longer.

Also, if feeding the people is so difficult, how can he have a feast? I need to attend the dinner. Let’s talk on the way.

She slips into the Communicator’s pocket.

My goddess has given me Her fire. If you run into trouble, do not hesitate to call me. I am more capable of protecting you than I appear to be.


Male
Skills:
Acro +18|Ath +18|Diplo +17|Intim +8|Myst +6|Percep +11|SM +6|Stealth +12
Human|SP 22/54 HP 42/42|EAC 14 KAC 16 ACvCM 24|Fort +10 Ref +9 Will +8|Init +2|RP 3/3 Godling (mighty)/7th|Speed 40ft. (40ft.)|Retribution (8/8 a day)|Agile Feet (Su) (4/4x a day)|Smite Rival (1x/day)|Channel Energy 4d6 (4/4x a day)
Tarren the Dungeon Master wrote:
"...yet" adds the Healer who had intimate mind-sex with Theo. She glances at Theo and blushes.

The half-god looks down the table at such a vision of Beauty and Innocence.

Bluff (secret message): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18
Healer:
Using non-audio ques, Theo wants to convey to his Healer that he wants them to meet later, alone.


Henri Patineur wrote:
”Indeed. Reproduction is considered by many to be a miracle as even the most learned biologists find there to be questions they cannot answer about why it works. And as a result, why it doesn’t work for some.”

The Healers are interested, "Biologists are a type of Healer? Are you one? Were you recognized as a Biologist at birth, or did that selection come later?"


The Olympian wrote:
Tarren the Dungeon Master wrote:
"...yet" adds the Healer who had intimate mind-sex with Theo. She glances at Theo and blushes.

The half-god looks down the table at such a vision of Beauty and Innocence.

** spoiler omitted **

"I must apologize to our guests," says the Healer that Theo fancies. "I am still a little weary. I think I will go sit in your garden, sir."

Bluff 'secret message': 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Clearly, Theo, she wants to be alone.


Nissa:
"Guardian Nine is trusting you very much in showing this to you. She is hoping you will help to find a solution. You mustn't tell anyone else you meet though. Not even all of Guardian Four's entourage know this."

She thinks though and adds, "This feast is not wasteful. It is an investment in our hope that you would help us. The food will come from Guardian Four's estate which, by law, must feed him and all who work here. Sort of. They get fish and meat from the Fishers and Farmers. Guardian Nine has a much smaller estate and can only support a few staff. For this reason she was assigned the Mystery of the Gates ... it's not as important as the Mystery of Birth and Death, which is assigned to Guardian Four... I'm sorry, I so seldom just say what I am thinking ... I'm usually sharing what others are thinking. I guess I'm talking too much. Did you want to ask me something?"


Legato Oaks wrote:

Legato pulls out his phone and types out a short story while Theo uh.. regales in a lesson on biology to the aliens. Legato happy just to avoid it. But does chime near the end.

"Well if you open the portals later, you best find out if ya can have kiddos with offworlders. Might be unworking for ya'll to ya'll. But mixing on a new might spark a baby."
Giving a cough and glance at Theo since he seems to have a goal with the healer, and Legato wants a fan fic setting for his online hobby.

Theo apparently does not notice the cough and the glance, smitten as he seems to be.


Male
Skills:
Acro +18|Ath +18|Diplo +17|Intim +8|Myst +6|Percep +11|SM +6|Stealth +12
Human|SP 22/54 HP 42/42|EAC 14 KAC 16 ACvCM 24|Fort +10 Ref +9 Will +8|Init +2|RP 3/3 Godling (mighty)/7th|Speed 40ft. (40ft.)|Retribution (8/8 a day)|Agile Feet (Su) (4/4x a day)|Smite Rival (1x/day)|Channel Energy 4d6 (4/4x a day)
Tarren the Dungeon Master wrote:

"I must apologize to our guests," says the Healer that Theo fancies. "I am still a little weary. I think I will go sit in your garden, sir."

[dice=Bluff 'secret message']1d20+1

Clearly, Theo, she wants to be alone.

Theo mentally squirms as he's sitting next to one of the Guardians, and can't get up table, lest he cause some kind of diplomatic incident. With longing clearly on his face, The Olympian watches his Healer get up and walk to the garden.

GRRR! I can't even curse in my HEAD right now! Theo mentally fumes.


Nissa:
Communicator Kate says, "You know the 115th person on that list I showed you? That was Guardian Four. He put his own name there. Before his time. I don't like him very much but he is kind of brave."

The rest of you
Guardian Four looks at the retreating feature of the young Healer, perhaps a little too long and then turns to Theo and says something in a booming voice. One of the male Communicators relays the message, "Dear boy, it's rather obvious she was hoping you'd follow her! Go! But don't stay away too long, we want to see more of your athletics!"

You can see the transdimensional refugees you rescued including the Minder Nissa has named 'Mindy' coming to join the banquet. Some of the refugees look like they are very happy here. No doubt they've been offered healing, rest, and sex as you were.

Guardian Four then turns back to the group of you and says, "So, if sex results in childbirth, your population must grow quite rapidly. If we had children every time we had sex there would be more children than apples on Utopia."

He picks up a fruit nothing like an apple and takes a bite out of it for emphasis. Everyone laughs and nods.

The Communicator who slipped away with Nissa in pocket joins the crowd of refugees. For all who pay attention, it will look like she escorted them here. She smiles smugly and discretely having accomplished her first spying mission for her Guardian.


Female Halfling Solarian | HP:51/51, SP:49/49, RP:8/9 | AC:20 | F:+6, R:+12, W:+7/+9v.Fear | Perc:+3, Init:+9 | 12v.Fire

Nissa thinks to the Communicator, That… changes my perspective somewhat. Maybe I can persuade him not to do this without addressing the list.

I mean I can propose a solution, and ask that seventy-two-year-olds be spared for a month. I don’t know if that is enough time, but I am thinking of some possibilities.

Unrelated: may I call you Kate? It is a syllable in the word ‘communicate’ in my language.

Nissa flutters about among the refugees.

“Mindy! It’s wonderful to see you again! I hope you rested well after such an ordeal on that Now-Dead World*!”

*Methopotamia


Names are a very intimate thing in Utopia. Trying to give someone a personal name is a mark of great familiarity, especially there. Diplomacy check, Nissa?


Female Halfling Solarian | HP:51/51, SP:49/49, RP:8/9 | AC:20 | F:+6, R:+12, W:+7/+9v.Fear | Perc:+3, Init:+9 | 12v.Fire

Diplo: 1d20 + 16 + 1d6 ⇒ (8) + 16 + (3) = 27


Male
Skills:
Acro +18|Ath +18|Diplo +17|Intim +8|Myst +6|Percep +11|SM +6|Stealth +12
Human|SP 22/54 HP 42/42|EAC 14 KAC 16 ACvCM 24|Fort +10 Ref +9 Will +8|Init +2|RP 3/3 Godling (mighty)/7th|Speed 40ft. (40ft.)|Retribution (8/8 a day)|Agile Feet (Su) (4/4x a day)|Smite Rival (1x/day)|Channel Energy 4d6 (4/4x a day)
Tarren the Dungeon Master wrote:
Guardian Four looks at the retreating feature of the young Healer, perhaps a little too long and then turns to Theo and says something in a booming voice. One of the male Communicators relays the message, "Dear boy, it's rather obvious she was hoping you'd follow her! Go! But don't stay away too long, we want to see more of your athletics!"

"Okay. Byyeeeeeeee! Theo says as he quickly gets up from the table and bee-lines it for the garden.


Human Zoomer (Battle Medic) 7 [ Stamina 58/63 | Hit Points 49/49 | Resolve 8/9 | KAC 18 | EAC 18 | F4 R11 W6 (+1 Fort vs disease or poison, evasion, immunity to flat-flooted, fire resist 7) | Init +9 | Perc +10 | Sneak +12 | Acro +18 ]
Tarren the Dungeon Master wrote:
Henri Patineur wrote:
”Indeed. Reproduction is considered by many to be a miracle as even the most learned biologists find there to be questions they cannot answer about why it works. And as a result, why it doesn’t work for some.”
The Healers are interested, "Biologists are a type of Healer? Are you one? Were you recognized as a Biologist at birth, or did that selection come later?"

Henri mulls his response for a moment, but ultimately offers, "There's a lot going on in this answer, so bear with me. Our world has many that are thinkers as well as many that are doers. Biologists are a type of thinker. What they think about is how the body does what it does. Most people on my world don't have access to the same sort of healing that your healers do. Our biologists have studied how the body heals and learned what will hopefully help the body heal better and faster. The people that do those things, our healers, are called doctors. They are a type of biologist, also, because they must think about the processes of the body in order to help it."

"We also have biologists that think about how animal bodies work and how they are different from human bodies. Likewise, there is a different type of doctor for healing animals. Some people in my world tend to be very specialized in what they think or do."

"As for me, I am not specialized. I am a doctor, I am an engineer, I am a pilot. I think I need to back up and explain - we are not born as developed as you are, physically or mentally. A newly-born on our world is quite helpless and requires nurturing and care for years before they are as physically capable as the child we saw born earlier. Ideally, that nurturing and care is provided by the two people that created the baby - via the process that Theo described so well earlier. Similarly, one of our babies must learn many things before they can even begin to prepare for their role in life. They learn the basics from those that nurture for them, then they often participate in a process called education where they learn more advanced skills and knowledge as they continue to mature physically. Hopefully, they begin to show interests and skills in a particular area and they are able to pursue those interests in life. Not everyone is so fortunate - some might not have the opportunity to follow their heart, so to speak, and must find another path in the world. For myself, I was very fortunate in that I learned many things at an earlier age than those I grew up with and I was given opportunities to pursue education that they were not." Though his words show some pride in that last statement, his eyes show a bit of sadness, also.

He takes a deep breath and smiles, "Sorry, that was a very long answer. But you needed to know - there are significant differences in how your people and my people enter the world. It is fascinating. So I have a question for you - it appears that you have no way of influencing the new arrival's skills, is that right? You truly don't know if the newly-born is a builder or a communicator or an artist until you see them for the first time?"


Watching Theo leave Guardian Four smiles, "I almost envy her!"

He then turns his attention to Henri's speech.

The Utopians are confused by much of what Henri has said. They need to go back and clarify certain points and then discuss.

They kind of get the different types of biologist, because most of their types comes with specializations. Healers can specialize in healing the mind or healing animals. Communicators can specialize in sharing feelings, and are often called upon to mediate between lovers. Minders can specialize in the different mysteries or the different areas of research. Builders can become Engineers. So, they kind of get that part. They don't believe that Biologists are a type of Thinker ... clearly they're a type of Healer and Thinkers are a type of Minder. They're pretty sure they misunderstood those rankings.

The idea that two people have a special role in the life of a child is also confusing to them. From the time a child is born in Utopia, a community of workers takes care of their education while some members of the community take care of providing for their physical needs. They don't really have much of a notion of childhood other than that of apprenticeship and dependency, which are gradually lifted. Younger Utopians are expected to watch people work, while not working themselves.

To Henri's final question, Guardian Four answers, "Mother Utopia knows what we need and provides us with new Utopians to fulfill these roles. We should not give up on Mother Utopia. She will provide answers. If we have a few too many citizens today, perhaps it is because Mother Utopia was preparing us for your arrival!"


Nissa, the Subatomic Bombshell wrote:
[dice=Diplo]d20+16+d6

Mindy and Kate blush a little, but accept this intimacy from Nissa.

"We already know your name," says Mindy through Kate. Then, Mindy concentrates and says slowly and carefully in English "You are the Nee-SAH!"


Female Halfling Solarian | HP:51/51, SP:49/49, RP:8/9 | AC:20 | F:+6, R:+12, W:+7/+9v.Fear | Perc:+3, Init:+9 | 12v.Fire

Nissa has a big grin and claps her hands (which are too minuscule to make a sound). “Your voice is lovely, Mindy!”

On the topic at hand, Nissa adds, “Sometimes you can have two parents, but they didn’t create you. Those are adoptive parents—and they may even have biological children who still treat you the same as their other sisters! And that’s the best—growing up with three little sisters, holding them, them holding you when they grow way taller…”


Theo:
Guardian Four's estate is huge, but it isn't all grass and lawn or useless hedges. Theo passes a number of gardeners and other kinds of workers using this space to make enough food to sustain them. He finds the Healer sitting alone. She stands as he approaches and says something in a language he cannot understand. She seems very happy to see him.


Male
Skills:
Acro +18|Ath +18|Diplo +17|Intim +8|Myst +6|Percep +11|SM +6|Stealth +12
Human|SP 22/54 HP 42/42|EAC 14 KAC 16 ACvCM 24|Fort +10 Ref +9 Will +8|Init +2|RP 3/3 Godling (mighty)/7th|Speed 40ft. (40ft.)|Retribution (8/8 a day)|Agile Feet (Su) (4/4x a day)|Smite Rival (1x/day)|Channel Energy 4d6 (4/4x a day)

Theo & Healer:
The godling slowly walks up to her, as not to startle her. Though to his knowledge, Theo has not met Aphrodite, but to his eyes, his Healer is pretty damn close. Her warm smile, her soft-looking skin, and the most beautiful eyes.

Theo stands about three feet from his Healer. The Olympian puts his hand on his chest and says "Theo." He repeats the gesture and his name several times, in hopes his Healer will understand his name.


Male Chimera... thing Soldier 7 | HP 55/55 SP 77/77 | KAC 23 EAC 21 | F +9 R +3 W +6 (+2 vs. mind-affecting) | Init +5 | Perc: +10 | RP 9/9 | Current form: Chimera
Head Text Key:
Bold--right 'dinosaur' head | Plain text--middle fox head | Italic--left jaguar head

Charles... eat sparingly, after all they've heard. They don't want to burden this place with the full... depth of their appetite, especially not when they'll hopefully soon be elsewhere.

"Part of us was a zoologist before we became... this," they interject into the discussion. "He cared for and studied animals. What sorts of animals do you have here? Are they born in similar fashion to you?"


Human Zoomer (Battle Medic) 7 [ Stamina 58/63 | Hit Points 49/49 | Resolve 8/9 | KAC 18 | EAC 18 | F4 R11 W6 (+1 Fort vs disease or poison, evasion, immunity to flat-flooted, fire resist 7) | Init +9 | Perc +10 | Sneak +12 | Acro +18 ]

"Yes, I think that's right, Minders and Thinkers would be very similar. I will use Minders since that's your word. Our biologists are..." he pauses. "For example, we have Minders that think about how buildings are built and think about making new kinds of buildings. And we have Builders that actually build the buildings. If the Building-Minders are good at what they do, the Building-Builders can just do the building, but sometimes, the Building-Minders don't think of something that the Building-Builders think of because they are actually doing the building. So it's a team effort, some work by the Minders and some work by the Builders, to create the better result."

He looks around at his audience, hoping he hasn't lost them, before he continues, "So our Biologist-Minders and our Biologist-Healers are like that. The Minders have more time to just think and research and what they learn, they share with the Healers. The Healers have less time to think and research, but they have more practice actually doing the Healing and they learn things doing the Healing that they then teach the Minders. It's a team effort and by sharing their skills, they can heal better. Over many years, this shared knowledge grows and grows until it is almost as magical as your Healing appears to me."

In response to Guardian Four, he says, "We have no Mother Utopia guiding our reproductive processes. We have Mother Nature. She is inclined to let the process play out on its own. Balance for us comes not by design," he holds his hands up like opposite plates from the scales of justice, wavering up and down slightly, "but by moving back and forth ever slightly to one side or another."

"Charles can speak to this better than I, but animals in our world show this very clearly. To put it very simply, some animals prey on others. If there are not enough prey, the number of predators dwindles because they cannot eat. Fewer predators allows more prey to survive the next year, which means more predators survive, which reduces the population of prey, and the cycle continues in this fashion. It is more complex than this - there are many types of prey and predator, but the general idea holds."

He's intentionally touching this topic about animials because he wants to see how foreign the idea is - he suspects it's very foreign to these cityfolk on this isolated island.


Female Halfling Solarian | HP:51/51, SP:49/49, RP:8/9 | AC:20 | F:+6, R:+12, W:+7/+9v.Fear | Perc:+3, Init:+9 | 12v.Fire

Nissa chimes in, “Nature can be cruel. I understand your world, due to its finite resources, has forced a moral dilemma upon your society. Prior to researching the gates, I learned of the final walk one must take on her seventy-second birthday.

“This is brave.” She turns to Guardian Nine, and then Four. She does not mention the new information. “But… we just came from a much much smaller world where people were both predator and prey, like the animals Henri described.

“And now we are on your world, and you showed us such hospitality. And—” No matter what Nissa may think of genetic engineering, she says, “—you are beautiful, in how you support each other.

“You deserve better. I believe there are ways to help… but I don’t know what the impact will be, and knowing someone turns seventy-two every day, I fear our efforts—even if successful—will be too little, too late for some of your elders.”

She pauses there to see how Four might react.

Diplomacy (impression): 1d20 + 16 + 1d6 ⇒ (19) + 16 + (5) = 40


The Olympian wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

The Olympian and the Healer:
The Healer beams when Theo says this and makes an affirmative gesture. "Theo!" she says tapping his chest. "Meo," she says tapping herself. She then rests her hand on her belly gently and smiles at the handsome Olympian.

Charles Wilde wrote:

Charles... eat sparingly, after all they've heard. They don't want to burden this place with the full... depth of their appetite, especially not when they'll hopefully soon be elsewhere.

"Part of us was a zoologist before we became... this," they interject into the discussion. "He cared for and studied animals. What sorts of animals do you have here? Are they born in similar fashion to you?"

"There are ... differing theories on this," says Guardian Four cautiously.

Guardian Nine continues, "But the evidence suggest that some animals emerged from Mother Utopia starting approximately 20 years before we did. The evidence also shows that some animals were here long before that and may not have emerged from Mother Utopia but have been here since the ancients lived. We have a zoo-farm. You could visit."


Henri Patineur wrote:

"Yes, I think that's right, Minders and Thinkers would be very similar. I will use Minders since that's your word. Our biologists are..." he pauses. "For example, we have Minders that think about how buildings are built and think about making new kinds of buildings. And we have Builders that actually build the buildings. If the Building-Minders are good at what they do, the Building-Builders can just do the building, but sometimes, the Building-Minders don't think of something that the Building-Builders think of because they are actually doing the building. So it's a team effort, some work by the Minders and some work by the Builders, to create the better result."

He looks around at his audience, hoping he hasn't lost them, before he continues, "So our Biologist-Minders and our Biologist-Healers are like that. The Minders have more time to just think and research and what they learn, they share with the Healers. The Healers have less time to think and research, but they have more practice actually doing the Healing and they learn things doing the Healing that they then teach the Minders. It's a team effort and by sharing their skills, they can heal better. Over many years, this shared knowledge grows and grows until it is almost as magical as your Healing appears to me."

In response to Guardian Four, he says, "We have no Mother Utopia guiding our reproductive processes. We have Mother Nature. She is inclined to let the process play out on its own. Balance for us comes not by design," he holds his hands up like opposite plates from the scales of justice, wavering up and down slightly, "but by moving back and forth ever slightly to one side or another."

"Charles can speak to this better than I, but animals in our world show this very clearly. To put it very simply, some animals prey on others. If there are not enough prey, the number of predators dwindles because they cannot eat. Fewer predators allows more prey to survive the next year, which means more...

One of the entourage speaks, "This is exactly what happened when Mother Utopia birthed the animals. The animals that were here preyed upon them. Some species, we believe, were gone before we arrived!"


Male Chimera... thing Soldier 7 | HP 55/55 SP 77/77 | KAC 23 EAC 21 | F +9 R +3 W +6 (+2 vs. mind-affecting) | Init +5 | Perc: +10 | RP 9/9 | Current form: Chimera
Head Text Key:
Bold--right 'dinosaur' head | Plain text--middle fox head | Italic--left jaguar head

"Extinction. It is a sorrowful thing," Charles rumble, downcast.

"Maybe we'll see this place later," they add. "But we shouldn't delay too long in choosing a portal to open and seeing if we can arrange for a place for some of your people."


Nissa, the Subatomic Bombshell wrote:

Nissa chimes in, “Nature can be cruel. I understand your world, due to its finite resources, has forced a moral dilemma upon your society. Prior to researching the gates, I learned of the final walk one must take on her seventy-second birthday.

“This is brave.” She turns to Guardian Nine, and then Four. She does not mention the new information. “But… we just came from a much much smaller world where people were both predator and prey, like the animals Henri described.

“And now we are on your world, and you showed us such hospitality. And—” No matter what Nissa may think of genetic engineering, she says, “—you are beautiful, in how you support each other.

“You deserve better. I believe there are ways to help… but I don’t know what the impact will be, and knowing someone turns seventy-two every day, I fear our efforts—even if successful—will be too little, too late for some of your elders.”

She pauses there to see how Four might react.

[dice=Diplomacy (impression)]d20+16+d6

Guardian Four, for a change, is silent. He nods with Nissa's observations about the challenges, and doesn't even correct her statement about one person turning 72 every day. After all, some people never make it to that age. Instead he looks at her with great appreciation for her desire to help.

"You have some ideas about how to help?" asks Guardian Nine.


Female Halfling Solarian | HP:51/51, SP:49/49, RP:8/9 | AC:20 | F:+6, R:+12, W:+7/+9v.Fear | Perc:+3, Init:+9 | 12v.Fire

“Nothing solid,” she admits. “We could attempt to operate one of the gates who’d names I can read. But… they may be Fictionaut worlds. Those are… strange.” She thinks of how the Beowulf world would reset itself in an infinite time-loop (or retelling-loop).

“What would take longer would be to get our ship. [smaller]Well… it’s not ours, and my goddess wants me to be honest. But I mean… my girlfriend has a plan so we can keep a start-of-the-art dimension-traveling ship.

“With that, we could ideally move larger groups of people. We could also ask our contact, Pah, to bring his ship.” She warns the Guardians, “I can’t promise cooperation from Pah. He’s a good guy, but always wants something in return.”


Human Zoomer (Battle Medic) 7 [ Stamina 58/63 | Hit Points 49/49 | Resolve 8/9 | KAC 18 | EAC 18 | F4 R11 W6 (+1 Fort vs disease or poison, evasion, immunity to flat-flooted, fire resist 7) | Init +9 | Perc +10 | Sneak +12 | Acro +18 ]

Henri muses, ”It would take generations, but recovering your world would be a worthy goal.”

He perks up and asks, ”Say, are you able to speak to Mother Utopia? Does she respond?”


Male
Skills:
Acro +18|Ath +18|Diplo +17|Intim +8|Myst +6|Percep +11|SM +6|Stealth +12
Human|SP 22/54 HP 42/42|EAC 14 KAC 16 ACvCM 24|Fort +10 Ref +9 Will +8|Init +2|RP 3/3 Godling (mighty)/7th|Speed 40ft. (40ft.)|Retribution (8/8 a day)|Agile Feet (Su) (4/4x a day)|Smite Rival (1x/day)|Channel Energy 4d6 (4/4x a day)

Theo and Meo:
Theo gazed deeply into Meo's eyes. "Damn. I wish you could understand me. And I'm sure you have lots of questions for me. I likely won't be able to say this later, but thank you. With your help, I've been able to exceed my previous self and become better, closer to a god. And, you know, I'm also incredibly in love with you."
Theo takes a step closer, and takes Meo by the hands. And waits patiently for any kind of response.


Henri Patineur wrote:

Henri muses, ”It would take generations, but recovering your world would be a worthy goal.”

He perks up and asks, ”Say, are you able to speak to Mother Utopia? Does she respond?”

Guardian Four responds to Henri's second question first, "Mother Utopia provides what we need; she communicates through actions. We return our dead to her for processing as well and we know she understands and embraces them. We do not speak to Mother Utopia, but she hears us nonetheless."

A moderately decent Sense Motive check would tell you some people are less convinced of Mother Utopia's omniscience than others.

"You said generations. And you all have also spoken of travelling back and forth. So, when you leave, you have a way of returning ... coming and going. What is this means that you have of opening these gates?"


Human Zoomer (Battle Medic) 7 [ Stamina 58/63 | Hit Points 49/49 | Resolve 8/9 | KAC 18 | EAC 18 | F4 R11 W6 (+1 Fort vs disease or poison, evasion, immunity to flat-flooted, fire resist 7) | Init +9 | Perc +10 | Sneak +12 | Acro +18 ]
Tarren the Dungeon Master wrote:

Guardian Four responds to Henri's second question first, "Mother Utopia provides what we need; she communicates through actions. We return our dead to her for processing as well and we know she understands and embraces them. We do not speak to Mother Utopia, but she hears us nonetheless."

A moderately decent Sense Motive check would tell you some people are less convinced of Mother Utopia's omniscience than others.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Bluff to mask his disappointment: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

Henri nods at Guardian Four's response, completely missing the doubt in other Utopians' eyes, "That is the case in many worlds. I was hoping this might be different."

I was hoping I might be allowed to 'commune' with the great computer at the middle of this civilization and determine its programming. Seems less likely if they don't pray to it, merely respond to its prompts.


Female Halfling Solarian | HP:51/51, SP:49/49, RP:8/9 | AC:20 | F:+6, R:+12, W:+7/+9v.Fear | Perc:+3, Init:+9 | 12v.Fire

SM: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14

Nissa replies to Four, “I’m a fairy. So I have a typically fairyish means: a magic wand.

“Please forgive me for not displaying it here at the table. My goddess has provided me a pocket dimension—like a black hole that follows me, which I can reach into. The wand is kept there, safe from an enemy who has already announced he would take it from me.

“I only produce it when needed to limit his opportunities to time-warp at my side and snatch it. And when I do draw it, it may be best to hide underneath Charles in addition to other precautions.

“But I’m willing to try channeling its energy into a gate.” She looks at Guardian Nine. “I don’t want to give you a false hope… I don’t know if the wand can actually do that, or if it’s even a good idea to open those gates.

“But once we leave, it may take days or weeks for us to return here. So unless my teammates object, I’d like to stay longer and see what we can learn. Maybe there’s a means here on your world that can activate the gates.”

Recalling the awkward conversation, she asks, “Is it truly an offense for me to travel in the tunnels where the mouse travels? I’m likely the only person you’ve met who can fit inside, and the mouse crawls freely without offending.

“If you permit this, I could see what only the mouse has seen and tell you.” She knows she could sneak inside, but what good would it do? If I found anything useful, I’d need to explain how I knew.

8,501 to 8,550 of 11,207 << first < prev | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Boston Theoretical PbP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.