ADQ Table 2

Game Master chillblame

Raiding and destruction in Sterich. Heros are needed.
greyhawk gods
Sterich and Keoland
roll20 link


101 to 150 of 679 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Ranger2/Wizard5 Elf | Init:+8 | Per:+21 | F:+5 R:+8 W:+6 | HP 48/48 | AC:19 FF:15 T:14 CMD:20 |

Survival 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (7) + 17 = 24

Rommin dismounts and examines the scene. He moves gingerly as he examines the area, trying not to disturb anything until he's read the signs.

Can he tell how long ago it was, and if there were prisoners?

"We are heading that way anyway. We should see if we can catch up. If these marauders are from Nostra's lair, then slaying them out here will lower the numbers we face there. Also, it may just appear to them to be a militia retaliation, not a special strike force that they need to prepare for."

The others can see the eagerness in Rommin's face as he talks about slaying them.


Male Human (Keoland - Fo)| HP 66/66| w/ shield: AC: 24, T: 14, FF: 23// w/o shield AC: 21, T: 14, FF: 20 | Spd: 30ft/ 20ft w/armor | Paladin (Divine Defender) 7 | Init +5, Normal vision; Percept: +9, Sense Motive: +11 | +2 Keen Greyflame Longsword 1d8+4 17-20/x2 S| Saves: F: +10, R: +7, W: +11 | CMB +2 / CMD 13

Fergus daily spells:

+2 Caster level = Magical Knack (6 level caster)

1st = 2, 2nd = 1
1st: Cure Light Wounds, Lesser Restoration
2nd: Weapon of Awe (6 min, +2 sacred bonus to damage, weapon scores a crit - shaken for 1 round (no save), range weapon applies it to it's ammunition


Male Human (Keoland - Fo)| HP 66/66| w/ shield: AC: 24, T: 14, FF: 23// w/o shield AC: 21, T: 14, FF: 20 | Spd: 30ft/ 20ft w/armor | Paladin (Divine Defender) 7 | Init +5, Normal vision; Percept: +9, Sense Motive: +11 | +2 Keen Greyflame Longsword 1d8+4 17-20/x2 S| Saves: F: +10, R: +7, W: +11 | CMB +2 / CMD 13

Fergus nods in agreement with Rommin.


Female Half-Elf Inquisitor (Sanctified Slayer) 7 | Initiative +9 |Perception +15 | Fort +9 Ref+8 Will +10 | HP 50 AC 20 CMD 20

Vrianna spends most of the early ride getting a feel for her horse and doing her best to learn to ride, confident that the horse could handle her novice self.

Travelling with the group is uneventful for the most part until they arrive, late in the day, at a ruined village. Dismounting so that she can get a better look she hears Vakmu's question but delays her answer as she slowly walks through the devastation.

Taking 10 for Survival +15 = 25

"We would have to be quick, but an ambush could be possible. We'd have to act now to have any real advantage."


M Half Orc| HP 67+8/67| w/ shield: AC: 19, T: 11, FF:18 | Spd: 30ft/ 20ft w/armor | Shaman 7 | Init +7, Darkvision 60; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +5 | Saves: F: +7, R: +7, W: +14 | CMB +6 / CMD 16

"I agree, Rommin's strategy is sound. Especially if we can take prisoners for interrogation. But it hinges on a being able to catch them before they get back to the lair...It all rests on can we catch them - and don't forget they will probably be marching at night and camping in the day, for they sake of their eyes....Also, who here is comfortable fighting in the dark? Yes Fergus, this question is really for you and your human eyes. A light will make you a pure target, and alert those we will be chasing long before we can hope to see them...

If the trackers need support, I can cast Commune With Birds and ask the local birds for answers.

Also for Fergus:
I don't think you need to train the warhorses, and I suspect you can say the same about the dogs, "Combat Training (DC 20) An animal trained to bear a rider into combat knows the tricks attack, come, defend, down, guard, and heel."


Male Halfling Acquisitionist - 7 | Init +6 | Perception: +11 (+3 vs traps, +2 to avoid being surprised) HP:67/67 8NL AC: 24* TCH: 18 FF: 17 CMD: 20* | F+6*, R+13*, W+4*

Brother Hawthorne, who had dismounted and was looking about for clues, answered the night fighting question, "I can do fine by moonlight, but in total darkness, my eyes are as weak as a human's."

After watching some of the company searching about, he offers, "I may not normally have muddy boots,"[b] he frowns looking at his soiled feet, [b]"and I don't have her other powers of etherealness, but scouting ahead and exploration are the way of the Lucky Ghost, so should my abilities be needed in that fashion, please do not hesitate to ask."

SEE! Handled in character!


Male Human (Keoland - Fo)| HP 66/66| w/ shield: AC: 24, T: 14, FF: 23// w/o shield AC: 21, T: 14, FF: 20 | Spd: 30ft/ 20ft w/armor | Paladin (Divine Defender) 7 | Init +5, Normal vision; Percept: +9, Sense Motive: +11 | +2 Keen Greyflame Longsword 1d8+4 17-20/x2 S| Saves: F: +10, R: +7, W: +11 | CMB +2 / CMD 13
Vakmu Blackhorse wrote:

"I agree, Rommin's strategy is sound. Especially if we can take prisoners for interrogation. But it hinges on a being able to catch them before they get back to the lair...It all rests on can we catch them - and don't forget they will probably be marching at night and camping in the day, for they sake of their eyes....Also, who here is comfortable fighting in the dark? Yes Fergus, this question is really for you and your human eyes. A light will make you a pure target, and alert those we will be chasing long before we can hope to see them...

If the trackers need support, I can cast Commune With Birds and ask the local birds for answers.

** spoiler omitted **

I overlooked the warhorse. I saw riding dog and some how it clicked that they were riding horse.

EDIT TO LAST POST ABOUT CAMP:

Fergus will focus on training the riding dogs for combat.

We are making a lot of assumptions until we know how old this raid was on this village. Which is why I asked the questions I did prior to jumping to conclusions that it was fresh. I would assume that if it was fresh or recent we would have seen smoke rising (even just grey or white smoke meaning the remnants of a fire... Right now I just want to figure out how long ago this happened and then base our next move after we figure that out.

This comment by the DM: "find your first village that has been burnt out. Any survivors have left days ago. Ther are many dead bodies, the people here did not go down without a ferocious fight." Leads me to believe it happened at least a few days ago if not more. Which means trying to catch them is pointless. The burnt out part means past tense...


Male Human (Keoland - Fo)| HP 66/66| w/ shield: AC: 24, T: 14, FF: 23// w/o shield AC: 21, T: 14, FF: 20 | Spd: 30ft/ 20ft w/armor | Paladin (Divine Defender) 7 | Init +5, Normal vision; Percept: +9, Sense Motive: +11 | +2 Keen Greyflame Longsword 1d8+4 17-20/x2 S| Saves: F: +10, R: +7, W: +11 | CMB +2 / CMD 13

Fergus looks around the place and seeing that all the buildings are no longer burning it appears it has been days since this happened.

"I doubt we can catch them even with wagons and it is almost night fall. This appears to have happened days ago. As Hawthrone stated...in moonlight, dusk, dawn I can fight and hold my own. I have the means to gain the ability to see better in darkness but I would need a morning of prayers to do so. Traveling by darkness is fine as long as I have someone to guide me."

He looks around the sky..."Darkness will be upon us soon so best we check this place and move on before nightfall."


M Half Orc| HP 67+8/67| w/ shield: AC: 19, T: 11, FF:18 | Spd: 30ft/ 20ft w/armor | Shaman 7 | Init +7, Darkvision 60; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +5 | Saves: F: +7, R: +7, W: +14 | CMB +6 / CMD 16
Brother Hawthorne wrote:

SEE! Handled in character!

Well done Brother


M Half Orc| HP 67+8/67| w/ shield: AC: 19, T: 11, FF:18 | Spd: 30ft/ 20ft w/armor | Shaman 7 | Init +7, Darkvision 60; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +5 | Saves: F: +7, R: +7, W: +14 | CMB +6 / CMD 16
Fergus DraganCara wrote:

Fergus looks around the place and seeing that all the buildings are no longer burning it appears it has been days since this happened.

"I doubt we can catch them even with wagons and it is almost night fall. This appears to have happened days ago. As Hawthrone stated...in moonlight, dusk, dawn I can fight and hold my own. I have the means to gain the ability to see better in darkness but I would need a morning of prayers to do so. Traveling by darkness is fine as long as I have someone to guide me."

He looks around the sky..."Darkness will be upon us soon so best we check this place and move on before nightfall."

"Aye, let us search the remains for any clues, and then move off following the tracks. When night falls, we will camp as usual. If we are days behind, there is no value in pushing the horses"

Perception searching for clues: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (17) + 17 = 34


Vrianna and Rommin carefully examine the ground.

vrianna and rommin:
you see the trail clearly, heading mostly south. Seven ogres and twenty orcs, plus four wagons. The wagons are being pulled by dire boars, and at least half the orcs are mounted on them as well. That makes them from the gut ripper tribe of orcs, who ride those instead of dire wolves. An unsavory lot, even by orc standards. Some blood indicates some are wounded. And lastly, it does seem as if some live prisoners were taken. The evil party is moving quickly, and left here about six hours ago.

It is now evening. Also, if you pursue, you have about four hours until force March fatigue rolls (due to the late start you had) I should note that the initial description I made was an immediate look, not a detailed look. Which has now been done


Assuming you are moving on

After giving the dead their rest, the party mounts up and continues.

Designate the main tracker with other people aiding if they want. I need eight tracking rolls. Also assuming you don't stop, I need four Constitution rolls, DC's 10, 11, 12, 13. If you fail you take damage (see below) This damage is subdual, recovered if you rest. Some magic will counter the damage

force march hour one: 1d6 ⇒ 2

force march hour two: 1d6 ⇒ 6

force march hour three: 1d6 ⇒ 3

force march hour four: 1d6 ⇒ 6


Male Halfling Acquisitionist - 7 | Init +6 | Perception: +11 (+3 vs traps, +2 to avoid being surprised) HP:67/67 8NL AC: 24* TCH: 18 FF: 17 CMD: 20* | F+6*, R+13*, W+4*

With my +0 on Survival, I should just be an aider, on tracking, so here are my 8 tracking rolls.

Survival 1: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (10) + 0 = 10 Success
Survival 2: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (4) + 0 = 4 Fail
Survival 3: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (16) + 0 = 16 Success
Survival 4: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (8) + 0 = 8 Fail
Survival 5: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (3) + 0 = 3 Fail
Survival 6: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (9) + 0 = 9 Fail
Survival 7: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (9) + 0 = 9 Fail
Survival 8: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (12) + 0 = 12 Success

Constitution 1: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 Fail
Constitution 2: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11 Success
Constitution 3: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12 Success
Constitution 4: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 Fail

So I'm down 8 NL damage.

I'm getting my bad rolls out of the way early in this game!


I forgot. Your mounts need to make the same rolls. They have a +2 bonus


M Half Orc| HP 67+8/67| w/ shield: AC: 19, T: 11, FF:18 | Spd: 30ft/ 20ft w/armor | Shaman 7 | Init +7, Darkvision 60; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +5 | Saves: F: +7, R: +7, W: +14 | CMB +6 / CMD 16

1)Did I find any clues when I searched? 2) Not too sure that we are forced marching after the raiders; I thought our discussions were saying if we were way behind we wouldn't be pushing to catch up. With that said, I will make the rolls in case we need them. Vakmu will aid another on the tracking rolls...

Survival rolls for tracking
survival 1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19 (no ranks, +5 from wisdom)
survival 2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
survival 3: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
survival 4: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
survival 5: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
survival 6: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
survival 7: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
survival 8: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Constitution checks (Vakmu)
Constitution 1: 1d20 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 2 + 4 = 16 (+2 from con, +4 from endurance)
Constitution 2: 1d20 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 4 = 11
Constitution 3: 1d20 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 2 + 4 = 18
Constitution 4: 1d20 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 2 + 4 = 13

No non-lethal for Vakmu

Constitution Check (Vakmu's horse)
Horsestitution 1: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Horsestitution 2: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Horsestitution 3: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Horsestitution 4: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

The poor horse on the other hand, would take 6.


To explain time. This is the same day you left istivin. You have already travelled 4 hours to this village. If you pursue, which you have indicated, it will take time to catch the bad guys. Assuming you don't lose the tracks of course. it will take an estimated 8 hours to catch them. That is why you are force marching four hours. 12 hours total travel.


Male Halfling Acquisitionist - 7 | Init +6 | Perception: +11 (+3 vs traps, +2 to avoid being surprised) HP:67/67 8NL AC: 24* TCH: 18 FF: 17 CMD: 20* | F+6*, R+13*, W+4*

Constitution 1: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 + 2 = 13
Constitution 2: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 + 2 = 22
Constitution 3: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 + 2 = 13
Constitution 4: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 + 2 = 22

Lucky lives up to his name and succeeds on all of those!

"Good boy Lucky!"


Vakmu@ no real clues are left. The orcs are using javelin as you found several broken ones. The village was well looted, even barrels of ale from the inn's cellar. The battle was quick, and fierce. It does look pike they were in a hurry


Ranger2/Wizard5 Elf | Init:+8 | Per:+21 | F:+5 R:+8 W:+6 | HP 48/48 | AC:19 FF:15 T:14 CMD:20 |

Dismounted, Rommin says ”Gut Rippers. He discards the broken piece of javelin he had been examining. ”A nasty lot, even by orcish standards. And ogres, too. I count seven ogres and a score of orcs. And four wagons.” He crouches and touches a patch of blood, and brings his fingers to his nose. Rubbing his fingertips together he says ”Some of them were wounded, but live prisoners were taken. They were loaded on wagons here” he says, pointing ”And here. Four wagons in total.” He tests the tackiness of some of the blood with his boot. ”They left six hours ago. We can catch them!” He mounts up and starts off.

Eight tracking rolls (counting favored enemy since there are ogres amongst them).
1 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (13) + 19 = 32
2 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (9) + 19 = 28
3 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (1) + 19 = 20
4 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (20) + 19 = 39
5 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (9) + 19 = 28
6 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (5) + 19 = 24
7 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (10) + 19 = 29
8 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (3) + 19 = 22

Wisp aid another rolls for tracking.
1 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20
2 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
3 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
4 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
5 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14
6 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23
7 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26
8 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11

Rommin forced march
DC 10 Forced March 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
DC 11 Forced March 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
DC 12 Forced March 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
DC 13 Forced March 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Wisp forced march
DC 10 Forced March 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (15) - 2 = 13
DC 11 Forced March 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (10) - 2 = 8
DC 12 Forced March 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (2) - 2 = 0
DC 13 Forced March 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (13) - 2 = 11

Rommin’s mount forced march
DC 10 Forced March 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
DC 11 Forced March 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
DC 12 Forced March 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
DC 13 Forced March 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6


Female Half-Elf Inquisitor (Sanctified Slayer) 7 | Initiative +9 |Perception +15 | Fort +9 Ref+8 Will +10 | HP 50 AC 20 CMD 20

Vrianna nods to confirm Rommin's assessment.

"Gut Rippers. I do not look forward to this." she says nothing about the ogres or the wagons, but feels nothing needs to be said - their prey had a six hour head start, they needed to move as fast as possible.

Tracking Rolls
1 - 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (5) + 15 = 20
2 - 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (6) + 15 = 21
3 - 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (2) + 15 = 17
4 - 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (11) + 15 = 26
5 - 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (19) + 15 = 34
6 - 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (10) + 15 = 25
7 - 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (5) + 15 = 20
8 - 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (20) + 15 = 35

Vrianna Con Checks
DC 10 - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
DC 11 - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
DC 12 - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
DC 13 - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Mount Con Checks
DC 10 - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
DC 11 - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
DC 12 - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
DC 13 - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Oof. My fragile self.


M Half Orc| HP 67+8/67| w/ shield: AC: 19, T: 11, FF:18 | Spd: 30ft/ 20ft w/armor | Shaman 7 | Init +7, Darkvision 60; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +5 | Saves: F: +7, R: +7, W: +14 | CMB +6 / CMD 16

" Rommin, Vrianna, can you tell if the raiding force is forced marching or hustling ? I am noodling in the discussion thread, and I think Chill should chip in too


M Half Orc| HP 67+8/67| w/ shield: AC: 19, T: 11, FF:18 | Spd: 30ft/ 20ft w/armor | Shaman 7 | Init +7, Darkvision 60; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +5 | Saves: F: +7, R: +7, W: +14 | CMB +6 / CMD 16

A question for Chillblame - is there enough ambient light for the players with Low-light vision to see (ie. is the moon up and visible).


M Half Orc| HP 67+8/67| w/ shield: AC: 19, T: 11, FF:18 | Spd: 30ft/ 20ft w/armor | Shaman 7 | Init +7, Darkvision 60; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +5 | Saves: F: +7, R: +7, W: +14 | CMB +6 / CMD 16

Brainwave: Chill, can I repeatedly use the Virtue cantrip ( 1 temp HP, 1 minute duration (10 rounds), on our mounts as we travel, to suck up the damage from the forced march and the hustle? We have less than 10 mounts - 6 pc's and ?1? packhorse... Thus I can cycle through the mounts every minute.


M Half Orc| HP 67+8/67| w/ shield: AC: 19, T: 11, FF:18 | Spd: 30ft/ 20ft w/armor | Shaman 7 | Init +7, Darkvision 60; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +5 | Saves: F: +7, R: +7, W: +14 | CMB +6 / CMD 16

Finally, any caster with the Message cantrip, please hook us all into the "tactical radio net"


Female NG Gnome Arcanist (Brown Fur Transmuter) 7 | HP 59/59 | AC 23 T 14 FF 21 | CMB +1, CMD 14 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +2 | Perc: +14, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Arcane Reservoir: 6/10 | Spells: 1st 4/5 2nd 4/5 3rd 2/3 | Active conditions: None.

Fenla saw her riding dog "You look like a little scrapper don't you? Oh... That's just what I'll call you. Scrapper!

Fenla Con checks
Con DC 10: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Con DC 11: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Con DC 12: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Con DC 13: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Having made long trips to Istivin before Fenla has no problem staying awake the extra hours as their pursuit continued.

Scrapper con Checks
Con DC 10: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Con DC 11: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7 *6 NL Damage*
Con DC 12: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Con DC 13: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 *6 NL Damage*
12 NL damage.
Carrying the small Gnome seems to take it's toll on Scrapper, he seems very tired after a few hours.

Fenla scratched Scrapper behind the ear "It's ok Scrapper... We will stop soon enough."

Fenla Daily Spells:
Mage Armor (10 hours duration with Arcane Point)


Female NG Gnome Arcanist (Brown Fur Transmuter) 7 | HP 59/59 | AC 23 T 14 FF 21 | CMB +1, CMD 14 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +2 | Perc: +14, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Arcane Reservoir: 6/10 | Spells: 1st 4/5 2nd 4/5 3rd 2/3 | Active conditions: None.

*Casts Message*
Vakmu hears a small familiar voice in his head. "I can communicate with speaking aloud, if that's what you are wondering... So... do you like... stuff?"

She just read your mind!! Ok not really but I wanted to answer your question that way. And that's a simpson's reference if you didn't get it. Ralph


M Half Orc| HP 67+8/67| w/ shield: AC: 19, T: 11, FF:18 | Spd: 30ft/ 20ft w/armor | Shaman 7 | Init +7, Darkvision 60; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +5 | Saves: F: +7, R: +7, W: +14 | CMB +6 / CMD 16

Spelldraft to ID a spell: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32


M Half Orc| HP 67+8/67| w/ shield: AC: 19, T: 11, FF:18 | Spd: 30ft/ 20ft w/armor | Shaman 7 | Init +7, Darkvision 60; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +5 | Saves: F: +7, R: +7, W: +14 | CMB +6 / CMD 16
Vakmu Blackhorse wrote:
[dice=Spelldraft to ID a spell] 1d20+12

DC is 15 for a cantrip

Vakmu whispers back "Hello Fenla, I am familiar with the message cantrip. It is a very good tactical tool, allowing us to communicate almost silently. If you are the only caster with it, you will have to be our communications hub, as the recipients can only whisper to you, not to each other."

Am I being flirted with by a gnome? Oh dearie me!


lordy!


Male Halfling Acquisitionist - 7 | Init +6 | Perception: +11 (+3 vs traps, +2 to avoid being surprised) HP:67/67 8NL AC: 24* TCH: 18 FF: 17 CMD: 20* | F+6*, R+13*, W+4*

"What sorcery is this? I can hear Fenla right in my ear, as if she were standing right next to me, and yet there she stands, several human-lengths away."


As the party travels the trackers notice that the numbers of the creatures seem to be growing a bit, as other parties unite with it. You press on.

The night passes as you move on, supported by magic and endurance, despite the dangers. The trail is easy to follow, and the moon has risen. Finally, you cross a ridge and see fires in the distance. A slight drizzle of rain mists the area, but the enemy encampment is clear. It looks like perhaps thirty orcs now, with an equivalent number of dire boar mounts. And ten ogres. But towering over them is a taller figure, wielding a great axe of tremendous size.

DC 19 know local:
a frost giant

Most of the ogres and orcs seem to be sleeping, while the giant is drinking from a huge flagon with another couple of ogres.

A huge creature is nearby. It looks like an elephant, but bigger. And hairier.

DC 21 know nature:
A Mammoth

With the hairy elephant are a collection of cattle, horses and sheep, obviously captures. Also with them are two wagons, with five tied captives.

You are about 200 feet away, in good cover. The raiders are not aware of you.


Male Halfling Acquisitionist - 7 | Init +6 | Perception: +11 (+3 vs traps, +2 to avoid being surprised) HP:67/67 8NL AC: 24* TCH: 18 FF: 17 CMD: 20* | F+6*, R+13*, W+4*

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18

”Think we can sneak the captives out? I’d hate for them to get killed accidentally in the kerfuffle.”


M Half Orc| HP 67+8/67| w/ shield: AC: 19, T: 11, FF:18 | Spd: 30ft/ 20ft w/armor | Shaman 7 | Init +7, Darkvision 60; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +5 | Saves: F: +7, R: +7, W: +14 | CMB +6 / CMD 16

1) K Nature: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
2) I hope I have been able to keep the horses from dying through enthusiastic use of the virtue cantrip...


M Half Orc| HP 67+8/67| w/ shield: AC: 19, T: 11, FF:18 | Spd: 30ft/ 20ft w/armor | Shaman 7 | Init +7, Darkvision 60; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +5 | Saves: F: +7, R: +7, W: +14 | CMB +6 / CMD 16

Vakmu speaks in a low voice: "Gather in tight here, and keep the discussion quiet. We wouldn't want to spoil the surprise party...

"I don't know how practical sneaking the captives out is, but I can lock down the area they are in without killing anyone. I can also wipe out a large portion of the encampment. Stragglers will be an issue...By the by, the hairy elephant is a mammoth."

It's obviously going to depend on the map that Chill's going to post on Rolld20, but I could drop a Sickening Entanglement centered on the captives, which would lock them in the middle of 40' of terrible terrain, and won't kill them (it only does damage if there are thorny plants in the area, and even then, if you stop fighting the entanglement, you won't take damage). With regards to the rest of the encampment, I have a Thorny Entanglement and 2 Thirsting Entanglements, which will kill anything that doesn't get out of them - which between the entanglement effect, and being large areas of difficult terrain is difficult.


Female NG Gnome Arcanist (Brown Fur Transmuter) 7 | HP 59/59 | AC 23 T 14 FF 21 | CMB +1, CMD 14 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +2 | Perc: +14, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | Arcane Reservoir: 6/10 | Spells: 1st 4/5 2nd 4/5 3rd 2/3 | Active conditions: None.

Knowledge(Local): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
Knowledge(Nature): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

Fenla's Eyes widened at the sight of the camp. "Wow... I have never been this close to an actual Frost Giant before, and will you look at the size of that mammoth!..." Snapping out her fascination with the large creatures, Fenla added "Well I think protecting the prisoner's is key, and although we could probably sneak in there, I don't know that they could sneak out without alerting attention."

The sickening entanglement idea sounds bizarrely good, but the idea of them just sitting there throwing up in reality might not work.
If that were me I would be trying to get as far away from the plants as possible.
I can create an obscuring mist around myself for 20', or create 10x10 30 ft deep pits for some of our foes to fall into.


M Half Orc| HP 67+8/67| w/ shield: AC: 19, T: 11, FF:18 | Spd: 30ft/ 20ft w/armor | Shaman 7 | Init +7, Darkvision 60; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +5 | Saves: F: +7, R: +7, W: +14 | CMB +6 / CMD 16
Fenla Welci wrote:

The sickening entanglement idea sounds bizarrely good, but the idea of them just sitting there throwing up in reality might not work.
If that were me I would be trying to get as far away from the plants as possible.

Yes, but the point is no-one is going to run into a sickening Entanglement; the tied-up prisoners are in the middle of it, an no-one is going to charge into it (with any success at least) to hurt them/hold them hostage...And the prisoners themselves are tied up, so they aren't running around to get out...


M Half Orc| HP 67+8/67| w/ shield: AC: 19, T: 11, FF:18 | Spd: 30ft/ 20ft w/armor | Shaman 7 | Init +7, Darkvision 60; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +5 | Saves: F: +7, R: +7, W: +14 | CMB +6 / CMD 16

Ok, we have a map! I can see it. A question for Chillblame, how much cover does the rock formation just above us on the map provide? (it looks like a smile, as you have observed...

Vakmu whispers, Well my fellow adventurers, it's time to serve the red wine... If we start from here, we can take advantage of our ranged weapons and spells. Further, it will guarantee us a surprise round. I propose starting with a thorny entanglement hitting as much of the camp as I can (in the surprise round , and then a sickening entanglement to lock down and protect the prisoners.(in the first round

I have drawn on the map to show what I am proposing. The green circle is the sickening entanglement, the red circle is the thorny entanglement, and the yellow is the attack radius of the thorny entanglement.

Also, is anyone experienced with Roll20? I think I am missing something. There has to be a tool to draw a circle from the center and going out radius X, but I can only find one that needs the opposite corners...


The rock formation gives total cover. It is about 10 to 12 foot high


Male Halfling Acquisitionist - 7 | Init +6 | Perception: +11 (+3 vs traps, +2 to avoid being surprised) HP:67/67 8NL AC: 24* TCH: 18 FF: 17 CMD: 20* | F+6*, R+13*, W+4*

I know if you click and hold, you’ll ping a spot, say a corner, but only if someone is on and watching will they see where you pinged. That’s the height of my expertise.


Female Half-Elf Inquisitor (Sanctified Slayer) 7 | Initiative +9 |Perception +15 | Fort +9 Ref+8 Will +10 | HP 50 AC 20 CMD 20

Vrianna peaks out from the cover of the rocks as much as she dares to get as much of a lay of heir enimies as possible and exhales heavily. It was one thing to know the number of enemies that awaited them from tracking. To see it, however...

She was not a tactician by any means, but she knew her strengths to have faith they would be useful as Vakmu began talking tactics. "Surprise will be our best chance to alter the odds to our favor. If you will forgive my bluntness, Vakmu, I can move unseen and position myself to strike an unexpected blow; perhaps as a distraction for your entanglement plan?"


M Half Orc| HP 67+8/67| w/ shield: AC: 19, T: 11, FF:18 | Spd: 30ft/ 20ft w/armor | Shaman 7 | Init +7, Darkvision 60; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +5 | Saves: F: +7, R: +7, W: +14 | CMB +6 / CMD 16

"Brother Hawthorne says scouting ahead is part of the way of the lucky ghost. How bold are you and he, Vrianna? I see 2 possibilities...

"The first is to simply push you and he forward and to the left. My entanglement spell will block the right side of the battlefield, and you two will wait in ambush for the rush forwards on the left - you will need to time your attack carefully, because there will be reinforcements coming quickly, as they shift from the right side of the battle, to avoid the entangled area.

Good thing about this is it gives you a position you can retreat from, falling back to the main body. But if also puts the 2 of you out front, in melee with a bunch of ogres by the look of things. Also, if the cavalry is quick to get mounted (or even just un-leash the dire boars), you may get swarmed before you can fall back..

"But how confident are you two at being sneaky? You could circle the camp on the left, take the lone watchman at the fire besides the prisoners, and then lets your blades drink among the sleepers...

Sneak up the far leftmost part of the map, bypassing the forward sentry. Take out the awake one at the fire beside the wagons (and the prisoners), and then start knifing the sleepers. Work your way back towards the main body of the party (down that left hand side of the map), keep killing until you either get back to us or you get detected. Note that cluster of 8 ogres is all asleep...Downside is, if the balloon goes up, you are cut off... I will going to drop the thorny entanglement when the alarm sounds, and the rest of us will try and draw their attention, but you don't have much support after that - except me nuking the area, you guys included (you do have decent reflex saves), with sickening entanglement, which might buy you enough time for the rest of us to bail you out, if we can ... high risk, high reward


Ranger2/Wizard5 Elf | Init:+8 | Per:+21 | F:+5 R:+8 W:+6 | HP 48/48 | AC:19 FF:15 T:14 CMD:20 |

"If you are going to try and get that close to the camp, I can lend one of you my cloak. It is of the finest elven weave, and it can help one blend with the shadows or the background." Cloak of elvenkind.


Male Halfling Acquisitionist - 7 | Init +6 | Perception: +11 (+3 vs traps, +2 to avoid being surprised) HP:67/67 8NL AC: 24* TCH: 18 FF: 17 CMD: 20* | F+6*, R+13*, W+4*

”I would not be opposed to sneaking in with Vrianna and taking out some of the sleepers before the fight gets started. Nor am I opposed to any assistance, magical or mundane that you all can provide. Charmalaine doesn’t expect worshippers to be prideful and stupid.”


M Half Orc| HP 67+8/67| w/ shield: AC: 19, T: 11, FF:18 | Spd: 30ft/ 20ft w/armor | Shaman 7 | Init +7, Darkvision 60; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +5 | Saves: F: +7, R: +7, W: +14 | CMB +6 / CMD 16

Vakmu digs into his pack, "Ok everyone, the spirits don't see mortals the way we do - they have a hard time telling us apart - to help them out, I have these " . Vakmu passes out a set of 12 necklaces (sized for large creatures - double them or wear them as a belt as appropriate), each marked with 3 symbols.

DC 15 K Religion:
One symbol is for Boccob, and another if for Celestian

DC 15 K Arcana:
The third is a personalized arcane mark

"With These, the spirits can tell you're my allies. Don't forget to put one on your mounts as well"

As mentioned before, I have symbols (and symbol-ish) spells pre-prepared, in a fashion that will only negatively effect those who aren't wearing that symbol combination

That done, once everyone has their necklaces on, digs further and pulls out a planchette (think piece of wood the size of a big playing card/thin paperback book), with it's face wrapped in paper. "Take this, Brother Hawthorne, when you go forward. Place it on the ground 30 or more feet from anyone but you or Vrianna, and uncover it's face. If you and Vrianna have to run, run past it. It's a magical trap that will create a 30' radius of heavy underbrush, slowing your pursuit. It won't trigger on you because of the necklaces..."

It's a Woodland Rune. Hawthorne and Vrianna can run right past it because of the necklaces. Anyone else getting within 30' triggers the heavy underbrush and the associated effect on movement. The vegetation is real, so once it is triggered, you guys will have to deal with the effects of the vegetation as well. PS. If you plant it within 30' of someone, it will go off as soon as it is uncovered...


Male Halfling Acquisitionist - 7 | Init +6 | Perception: +11 (+3 vs traps, +2 to avoid being surprised) HP:67/67 8NL AC: 24* TCH: 18 FF: 17 CMD: 20* | F+6*, R+13*, W+4*

Brother Hawthorne takes the proffered items and looks then over with reverence and appreciation. He is able to loop the necklace around his waste and neck 4 times in a bandolier looking fashion.

Hawthorne queries, [b]”will it go off while being carried? Can I drop it while running and have it go off? Either way, this is exactly the sort of luck I appreciate!”[b]


Ranger2/Wizard5 Elf | Init:+8 | Per:+21 | F:+5 R:+8 W:+6 | HP 48/48 | AC:19 FF:15 T:14 CMD:20 |

"If it it too far for the spell to relay our voices, we can have Wisp relay messages." His thrush familiar can speak common. "And I can help you move around more quickly." Longstrider from a wand.

For self buffing, Rommin would add shield, blur, mirror image, bulls strength and gravity bow.

I am okay with the suicide mission, since it is others doing it. :P


Female Half-Elf Inquisitor (Sanctified Slayer) 7 | Initiative +9 |Perception +15 | Fort +9 Ref+8 Will +10 | HP 50 AC 20 CMD 20

Vrianna takes the offered necklaces with gentle gratitude and carefully puts them and tucks them under her cloak before taking some calming breaths while she checks her equipment and especially her sword. While it was not the first time she had infiltrated a dangerous enemy, there was certainly more than she would admit to feeling comfortable about.

But they were here. And she was ready.

With a quick but simple prayer to Mayaheime she stretches out and limbers up in preparation and faces the others. "The plan seems simple enough. I will have The Shieldmaiden bless us before we enact it. Is there anything else we can do to finalize preparations?" She asks, hoping to downplay the touch of nerves in her voice.

I'll have Vri's self buff list ready once we have the plan fully ready to go.


Male Halfling Acquisitionist - 7 | Init +6 | Perception: +11 (+3 vs traps, +2 to avoid being surprised) HP:67/67 8NL AC: 24* TCH: 18 FF: 17 CMD: 20* | F+6*, R+13*, W+4*

Longstrider won’t help, it’s a self only spell.


M Half Orc| HP 67+8/67| w/ shield: AC: 19, T: 11, FF:18 | Spd: 30ft/ 20ft w/armor | Shaman 7 | Init +7, Darkvision 60; Percept: +15, Sense Motive: +5 | Saves: F: +7, R: +7, W: +14 | CMB +6 / CMD 16
Brother Hawthorne wrote:

Brother Hawthorne takes the proffered items and looks then over with reverence and appreciation. He is able to loop the necklace around his waste and neck 4 times in a bandolier looking fashion.

Hawthorne queries, ”will it go off while being carried? Can I drop it while running and have it go off? Either way, this is exactly the sort of luck I appreciate!”

"The magic is in the rune drawn on the planchette. You must expose the rune, by taking off the paper cover. The planchette must be the face exposed, not face down... "

"Actually, before you go off, I will give you 2 more planchettes - can you plant them off to the right hand side, without being seen?

2 more Woodland Runes - lets secure that right flank. Brother H should have no problem planting them, given his superlative stealth, and the distance penalty on perception (-1 per 10'). I will mark the squares on the map with P1 and P2. You should mark the point on the map where you are going to put the one you are taking with you with P3 .


Male Halfling Acquisitionist - 7 | Init +6 | Perception: +11 (+3 vs traps, +2 to avoid being surprised) HP:67/67 8NL AC: 24* TCH: 18 FF: 17 CMD: 20* | F+6*, R+13*, W+4*

”I see no reason why I can’t get that done.”

101 to 150 of 679 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / ADQ table 2 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.