DM Lament Configuration's Carrion Hill

Game Master electricjokecascade

“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H. P. Lovercraft, The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories

[Loot] | [Maps]


301 to 350 of 436 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

Male Human Wizard | HP 22/22 |AC 17 (Tch 13, FF 14) | Fort 0, Ref +3, Will +7|Init +1 Perception +1
Quote:
She shifts uncomfortably. "Do we knock? I'm not really sure how to go about this." By 'this' she means 'breaking into a man's place to kill him.' It's not exactly something she's ever done before.

Sense Motive 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20 <-- Hey, it's Walter's only face skill. One whole rank!

The wizard seems to sense what is left unspoken. "Don't think of it as murder. That's... not morally correct. This is a man who has already caused the deaths of dozens, and whose actions could kill hundreds more." Walter's voice is still strained, but you have the impression he understands your unease, and is trying to reach out. "Through his... stupid... arrogance and folly. Come the moment, I do not think you will find it hard to strike. You shouldn't. I won't. I've done it before. He deserved it." There's a pause, then the wizard begins to sing softly to himself:

We all... deserve... to die...
Look at you... Look at I...
Because the lives of the wicked... should be made brief
For the rest of us... death will be a relief
We all... deserve... to die...

Okay, the moment of reaching out didn't last that long. Walter's still not right, I'm afraid.


Female Human Lepidstadt Inspector 5 | Initiative +3 | Perception +10 | Fort +3 Ref +8 Will +7 | HP 45 AC 18

The irony of leaving the safety and light of Heggry's manor to march (foolishly) back into the drizzling gloom was not lost on Maritine, nor was she surprised when Jarvis led them through the aptly named Filth district (This was why she invested in quality boots) and could only tiredly curse the perpetual drizzle.

She feels like she knew the terrible truth about middenstone but being reminded of it didn't improve her mood any, abd by the time they all arrive at Myre's foundry she's already considering arson again. The fact that the foundry is still in use tempers her urge with suspicion.

"We avoid the front door. No sense announcing ourselves if we can avoid it." She watches Miheala begin her scouting for a second then turns to the rest, ideas coming to her. "Word about what's happened has clearly spread - if we can get to Myre undetected, his death can be blamed on the madness he bought forth. It may buy us time when we finish here and track the others."

Giving Mihaela time to scout ahead and staying close enough to keep Walter under watch, Maritine gives the immediate area a thorough going over.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17


Female Human Gunslinger (Bolt Ace) 5 | HP:43/43 | Grit 4/4 |
Stats:
|AC 21, Touch 17, FlatFoot 14, CMD 21 | Fort +7, Ref +12, Will +5| Init +8 | Perception +13

Wiping her brow under the hat, Lys glances at Walter. "Okay, Walter. Soon as this is done, we'll teach you some real drinking songs...", she chips in, drawing her crossbow. A necromancer... Has been a while. Though I wonder what horrors would the necromancer do with the beast of the Dark Tapestry. She shudders, readying a bolt. "True, true. And I'm sure that nobody will miss the man. I don't plan to, at least.", she chirps, eye darting up at the chimney. "If he's a necromancer, then whoever's running the forges might not be amongst the living."


Female Human Psychic (Esoteric Starseeker) 5 | HP 22/27 | AC: 18 (T: 11, FF: 17) | Saves: F:+7, R:+5, W:+9 (+2 vs fear effects) | Init: +6 | Perc. +10
More Info:
BAB: +2, CMB: 1, CMD: +12 | Spells: (1st) 3/8, (2nd) 3/6, (Bonus) 1/0 | Phrenic Pool 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

Yelena nods. Of course knocking would be foolish. She knows that. She's just...very much out of her depth.

"You're right of course. I'll follow your lead. Just let me know what you need me to do." She forces a strained smile. "If nothing else I'm very good at interrogation. It's hard to lie to someone who can pull the thoughts out of your head."

She shivers in the rain while waiting for Mihaela to come back.


[Loot] | [Maps] Toilsday the 13th of Pharast, around 11:30 p.m.

Mihaela returns shortly, having found no magical countermeasures or windows on the lower levels. Indeed, looking up at the windows higher up, it's clear they're of very poor quality glass; virtually opaque with whorls, bubbles and filth, they might let in light, but little else.

There appear to be but four entrances into the building: the sluice gates that pour effluvium out into the river; the large double doors directly to the east, which look to be more of a cargo bay; another set of double doors to the north, beside the river, which lead both to a small dock and to the main road; and a smaller door to the south-west.

The doors are uniformly built of middenstone, and look to be securely shut.


Female Half-elf {conditions: none} Inquisitor 5 | HP 15/28 | AC 22 (Tch 16 FF 16) | F +5 R +8 W +9 (+2 vs. ench.) | Init +10 | Perc +12, low-light vision, scent (vs. aberr.)
Elize 'Lys' Brokenshield wrote:
"If he's a necromancer, then whoever's running the forges might not be amongst the living."

"Count on a madman to take an all-too-literal interpretation of graveyard shift" Mihaela's voice emerges from the watery wall of rain surrounding the party, followed closely by the Varisian's petite silhouette. "Jokes aside; place seems to be shut tight — Myre must have barricaded himself in."

Looks like it just come down to to plan B: "throw Kolthis at them". On that note: does anyone have silence prepared?


Male Human Wizard | HP 22/22 |AC 17 (Tch 13, FF 14) | Fort 0, Ref +3, Will +7|Init +1 Perception +1
Mihaela Stellamaris wrote:


Looks like it just come down to to plan B: "throw Kolthis at them". On that note: does anyone have silence prepared?

Sadly, no. And none of us took the greatest feat ever, which would have come in very handy just now...

Walter stops singing, frowns thoughtfully for a moment, then reaches into his complicated vest and pulls out a small metal wand. Mage Armor, one hour. He then reaches in and pulls out a second wand -- this one more delicate looking, made of ivory.

"I can provide a few moments of protection against magical evil. But the duration is short. So, best I cast it on someone who is about to enter a threatened area." Walter seems noticeably more coherent when there's an immediate task at hand. "I would suggest the large doors, if we have someone who can deal with the lock."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M CG Dwarf Fighter 2/Cleric of Desna 3 | HP: 45/50 | AC: 21, T: 12, FF: 17) | CMB: +9, CMD: 21 | F: +10, R: +5, W: +7 (+1 against Fear Effects) | Init: +7 | Darkvision 60ft, Perc: +10, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 1/4 2nd 2/3 | Active conditions: None
Mihaela Stellamaris wrote:
Looks like it just come down to to plan B: "throw Kolthis at them". On that note: does anyone have silence prepared?

Unfortunately no, but I am prepared to cast permanent silence on anyone inside!

Walking through the rain on the corpses of mangled insects doesn't do much to help the feeling in the air around the group as they headed towards their first objective. "At the least they found some way to not be wasteful. I suppose that's worth something." he mutters to himself, ignoring the phantom sounds of crunching exoskeleton reverberating in his head with each step.

Now waiting for Mihaela to return from her scouting, Kolthis turned the handle of his hammer in his hand, listening to the others talk. "Don't fret, Yelena. It's different than tracking down some beasties or such into their lairs, that's for sure. Most people, even the adventuring sort, don't get too accustomed to this. Hells, it even took Lucy here quite a while longer than you might expect." He says the last bit, hefting his hammer up on his shoulder with a small, tight smile - his attempt at some defusing humor.

With Mihaela coming back with news of no easy point of ingress, Kolthis couldn't quite say he was surprised. Managing to make it out of the underground after knowing what Myre had his hand in summoning, hell, Kolthis would have barricaded himself too. Unfortunately for the necromancer, it was not going to be good enough.

"If one of you can pick that thing, wonderful. If not, I'm ready to get this started, hammer swinging. As far as that protection goes, who's to say where in here Myre will be. Up to you when you want to use it."


[Loot] | [Maps] Toilsday the 13th of Pharast, around 11:30 p.m.

Kolthis steps up to the middenstone door and makes short work of it; the sound is slightly muffled by the rainfall, but there's no denying the thunderous thwok and crunch as Lucy pounds the door apart.

In short order, the dwarf is able to sweep his hammer from side to side, knocking the remaining chunks of middenstone aside, and reveal the interior of the room beyond.

The air in this room is hot, humid, and foul smelling. A mix of acrid chemicals, burning refuse, and bitter smoke taints the air. The room itself is cavernous, with a forty-foot-high ceiling supported by a tangle of wooden beams and walkways. A large square table covered with bricks and tools sits in the center of the room, and a network of chains, ropes, and pulleys runs through the timbers above. Two flights of stairs lead up to the north to a long room filled with fumes and wisps of smoke.

A number of carrion roaches scuttle across the walls and ceiling - large enough to be disconcerting, but seeming to lack any signs of aggression.

Knowledge Nature DC 15:
These carrion roaches no doubt are the key ingredient in the creation of middenstone itself.


Male Human Wizard | HP 22/22 |AC 17 (Tch 13, FF 14) | Fort 0, Ref +3, Will +7|Init +1 Perception +1

Autopass on the Knowledge check-- with the spell, I'm at +19.

"The roaches are harmless," the wizard says softly. "They're... feedstock."


Male Human Wizard | HP 22/22 |AC 17 (Tch 13, FF 14) | Fort 0, Ref +3, Will +7|Init +1 Perception +1

Walter knows he should just let it go.

The Visualization of the Mind is a spell that priests and clerics use. They claim it as a boon from the divine power of their god. Walter, through years of study, is able to run this spell as an an emulation, without calling on anything but himself. Very few wizards can do this. Of those who can, many eventually go insane.

Walter can banish the spell at any time. It'll give one final flash of insight and then simply cease. Otherwise, it will last for many hours.

While it lasts, Walter's brain is running hotter and brighter and faster. He understands things. It's so wonderful. This is how the Great Sages of Old must have felt. Or at least, how they must have felt before their brains burnt out into madness.

He should just let it go. But... morally. His enhanced mind is useful, useful. The others may need it. It could save lives. Keeping the spell on is the only logical, moral choice. He'll let it go when the danger is past. Until then, not. Logic.

Walter realizes that the spell may be affecting him beyond just giving him better memory and understanding. He did just speed-read several hundred pages of mind-blasting cosmic blasphemy with his brain turned up to "maximum intake" and "Puree". Ha ha! Yes. It may be causing... behavioral issues. But those are acceptable. They're... collateral damage.

Walter has no trouble thinking of himself as collateral damage.


Female Half-elf {conditions: none} Inquisitor 5 | HP 15/28 | AC 22 (Tch 16 FF 16) | F +5 R +8 W +9 (+2 vs. ench.) | Init +10 | Perc +12, low-light vision, scent (vs. aberr.)

Mihaela instinctively cringes at the sight of the walls and ceiling swarming with engorged insects, yet she forces her mind to focus on more pressing concerns.

Concerns such as the door lying on the floor in splinters.

So much for subtlety. Still, there's a subconscious part of her which was actually itching for for this turn of events, the same part that restlessly stirred with impatience as she sat cross-legged browsing through delirious ramblings and knowledge better left unearthed. All in all, the physicality of straight, direct combat seemed a welcome respite from the afternoon's dullness.

"Once again, let me be your eyes and ears" she says, and disappears from sight.

Casting returning weapon on Mihaela's starknife, then invisibility (as her spell-like ability, 5/day, lasting 5 rounds). Then moving up the stairs.

Stealth (invisible): 1d20 + 14 + 20 ⇒ (4) + 14 + 20 = 38


Female Human Lepidstadt Inspector 5 | Initiative +3 | Perception +10 | Fort +3 Ref +8 Will +7 | HP 45 AC 18

It isn't the approach she would have gone with but Maritine cannot deny the sheer effectiveness of Kolthis and his hammer; the door might have well been open.

With a quick pat down of her coat to count the numerous vials and tinctures within, Maritine subtly secures a concoction into her empty wrist sheath and waits a moment for Mihaela to invisibly slip into the foundry before following behind both as support and potential lure - It had worked in Ravengro, it should work again.

Stealth: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18


Female Human Psychic (Esoteric Starseeker) 5 | HP 22/27 | AC: 18 (T: 11, FF: 17) | Saves: F:+7, R:+5, W:+9 (+2 vs fear effects) | Init: +6 | Perc. +10
More Info:
BAB: +2, CMB: 1, CMD: +12 | Spells: (1st) 3/8, (2nd) 3/6, (Bonus) 1/0 | Phrenic Pool 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

Before Mihaela and Maritine sneak off, Yelena pauses. "Wait just a second, let me cast a spell so we can still communicate with each other." She quickly casts Message, much like Walter had underneath the Slipper Market.

While she could connect to everyone, it's easy to be distracted if multiple people are talking at once. For now she focuses it solely on Mihaela and Maritine. She can always recast it later if needed.

"Good luck." The words echo slightly in their ears.

While waiting for them to report back, she also casts Heightened Awareness.. It's too useful of a spell to not have active, and she still has several others.


Female Half-elf {conditions: none} Inquisitor 5 | HP 15/28 | AC 22 (Tch 16 FF 16) | F +5 R +8 W +9 (+2 vs. ench.) | Init +10 | Perc +12, low-light vision, scent (vs. aberr.)

"Thanks" Mihaela's simple answer comes in a whisper, carried by aethereal winds.

Then, the hunt begins. It was like slipping in an old, yet still sublimely comfortable pair of gloves: Maritine and her, stalking their prey, each woman watching the other's back. As for storming to the other's rescue, it was still three to two in Maritine's favor, and there's a part of Mihaela which is itching to get even.


M CG Dwarf Fighter 2/Cleric of Desna 3 | HP: 45/50 | AC: 21, T: 12, FF: 17) | CMB: +9, CMD: 21 | F: +10, R: +5, W: +7 (+1 against Fear Effects) | Init: +7 | Darkvision 60ft, Perc: +10, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 1/4 2nd 2/3 | Active conditions: None

Kolthis looks around at the empty room, only slightly upset that it was empty. He supposed running into Myre right away and getting it over with immediately would have been just too convenient.

"Best of luck. Don't come back undead yourself." he wishes to both Mihaela and Maritine as they sneak off to investigate.

In the meantime, Kolthis passed the time examining the room, following the movements of the massive roaches. "You know, I had the...opportunity, once, to eat roasted giant insect. Surprisingly, not terrible. Tasted like sour apples. Got a rather large amount of the shell stuck in my teeth though - that was the worst part, to be honest. Once you get past the fact you're eating bugs, at least."


[Loot] | [Maps] Toilsday the 13th of Pharast, around 11:30 p.m.

The stench and humidity in the air here is cloying and choking. There is no proper floor in this room, only a series of five-footwide middenstone walkways passing along and over a series of pits ten feet below. The ground is obscured by a layer of foul-smelling, bubbling water through which a tangle of violet middenstone pipes weave. Numerous huge metal cauldrons containing a nasty, bubbling violet sludge simmer in the pits, each vat cradled in a nest of steaming pipes.

Above, the open ceiling is a tangle of timbers, ropes, chains, and pulleys, many bearing hooks sized for the rings around the cauldron
rims below. Ropes and slippery ladders descend into the morass below every five feet along the edges of the slippery walkways, while to the north is a warehouse containing bins of coal, barrels, cages, and other supplies. Beyond this, a huge steaming furnace churns and roars under an upraised observation deck.

A steep flight of middenstone steps leads up to a platform above the furnace below on the far side of the room. A thick leather curtain hangs along the edge, shielding the area beyond from the worst of the stink and humidity.

Mihaela Fort Check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Maritine Fort Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

The fumes here are sufficiently noxious to cause Maritine's gorge to rise, her eyes to burn, and she can barely keep the food served at the Mayor's manor from swarming up her gullet. Maritine is sickened while in this room.

Eight individuals toil in this room, minding the vats, hauling on chains, and stirring the contents below with long, gleaming poles. They move slowly, with fixed intensity, and it is clear at once that they no longer walk in the land of the living; their eyes are milky white and sunken, their skin waxen here, or reduced to leathery strips there. Lips are permanently pulled back from yellowed teeth, and they work with the mindless fixation of automatons.

Four of them work to the west of the room, two feeding coal into the great furnace, the other two working the pumps, while the remaining four work amongst the middenstone cauldrons below.


Female Half-elf {conditions: none} Inquisitor 5 | HP 15/28 | AC 22 (Tch 16 FF 16) | F +5 R +8 W +9 (+2 vs. ench.) | Init +10 | Perc +12, low-light vision, scent (vs. aberr.)

Mihaela's stomach churns at the putrid smell, and had she partaken of any of the offered food, she'd probably be regurgitating it by now. Suddenly, she feels grateful for her earlier lack of appetite.

"Eight undead — simple zombies by the looks of it. Fumes are nauseating, so plan accordingly. Stay put, checking for less obvious threats."

Her keen elven eyes scan the room while she holds her breath, lingering on the pits.

Perception (guidance): 1d20 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 12 + 1 = 29


Female Human Lepidstadt Inspector 5 | Initiative +3 | Perception +10 | Fort +3 Ref +8 Will +7 | HP 45 AC 18

Maritine hurriedly dug into her pockets for a large square of cloth she normally used in her alchemical practice and hastily turned it into an impromptu face covering, her stomach threatening to violently expel its contents in protest. By the Gods that was vile. How was she not used to the smell of such terrible things?

Ducking down to keep herself out of view before her knees can give out, she grits her teeth hard and fights against the nausea as Mihaela's words whisper in her mind. Satisfied that she won't at least throw up for the time being, she peers out from her hiding spot to see what she can gather while attempting to organize the others waiting for them.

"Yelena, if Lys can shoot far enough, we may lure some zombies out for her. And anyone else."

She fumbles through her pockets and curses her lack of smelling salts again.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 10 - 2 = 20
Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
Knowledge Engineering: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10


Female Human Psychic (Esoteric Starseeker) 5 | HP 22/27 | AC: 18 (T: 11, FF: 17) | Saves: F:+7, R:+5, W:+9 (+2 vs fear effects) | Init: +6 | Perc. +10
More Info:
BAB: +2, CMB: 1, CMD: +12 | Spells: (1st) 3/8, (2nd) 3/6, (Bonus) 1/0 | Phrenic Pool 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

Outside the room Yelena nods and quickly shares the information. "Seems the mayor was correct about Myre's use of necromancy. There are eight zombies in there. It apparently stinks even worse in there; if you have smelling salts or the like you'll want to use them before going in." She herself does not, but she wraps her scarf around her face to hopefully filter out at least some of the smell.

Voice now slightly muffled, she continues. "Maritine is suggesting maybe we could lure the zombies out for Lys to shoot." This is said both aloud and through the message spell; without knowing exactly how close the two women are to one another she wants to make sure that everyone is being apprised of possible plans. "It would be better to not fight in there if we can manage it, although we don't want to risk Myre fleeing while we're otherwise occupied."


[Loot] | [Maps] Toilsday the 13th of Pharast, around 11:30 p.m.

Using scarves or the like gives you a +4 situational bonus to the Fort save. Alas, Maritine is already sickened.

Mihaela and Maritine study the scene before them with great care and deliberation. It's clear upon further study that the walkways over the vats are precarious; they gleam as if mildly greased, either with the ambient humidity and noxious foulness in the air, or by the zombie's very tread. The vats below are bubbling, but it appears that the fires have been reduced to keep them barely at a simmer, as if Myre has placed the whole place on standby.

The thick leather curtain at the far end of the hall hangs immobile. The doorway to its left appears to be made of the same middenstone construction as the others.


Female Human Gunslinger (Bolt Ace) 5 | HP:43/43 | Grit 4/4 |
Stats:
|AC 21, Touch 17, FlatFoot 14, CMD 21 | Fort +7, Ref +12, Will +5| Init +8 | Perception +13

"Of course. Has to be the rancid underground... Nobody has the sense of hiding in a damn forest...", Lys mutters as the results from the scounds come out. "That could work.", she tilts her head at Yelena, tapping her crossbow. "Zombies are slow. I can hit them from a quarter mile away, if need be.", a prideful smile spreads across her face, before she adds. "If it wasn't pitch black and full of ferns." Staring at the house, she points towards the lake.

"If we're worried about him escaping. We should go around and find what other exits Myre might have, before committin-." That's a vile necromancer, Lys. As if they'd ever go above ground if they had the choice... One slips away, and the town is doomed... Taking off her hat and wiping her brow, Lys shakes her head. "We should go around. Bar or jam any doors we can find. Then lure them out through the front door and go inside to take care of Myre, face to face." Her tone is determined. "That door. If it's heading to the outside, we should get in through there, then go up to the room with the leather curtain. Stairs are easily defensible, and I have a feeling that even a necromancer would prefer to stay out of that stench, so he's probably up there." A determined look spreads across her face as she nods at the side of the building. "Let's see if we can go through there."

Rolls/OoC:

GM - Lys would be making her way towards the door on the left, assuming that it's on ground level, and I suggest that we all go through there, then hold the stairs against the zombies.

Stealth getting there: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (5) + 16 = 21
Picking the Lock, if necessary: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (8) + 16 = 24


Female Human Psychic (Esoteric Starseeker) 5 | HP 22/27 | AC: 18 (T: 11, FF: 17) | Saves: F:+7, R:+5, W:+9 (+2 vs fear effects) | Init: +6 | Perc. +10
More Info:
BAB: +2, CMB: 1, CMD: +12 | Spells: (1st) 3/8, (2nd) 3/6, (Bonus) 1/0 | Phrenic Pool 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

Yelena glances at the pile of splinters behind them. "We're certainly not going to be able to bar that one." She frowns, considering. "He might be up there. He might be in some random hidey hole elsewhere in the building. He might not even be here at all; these Keepers could very well have other, less obvious places to hide."

Information. We need it.

"If Mihaela could make me invisible, I could find out." Yelena is speaking slowly as she turns her latest idea over in her mind. "Or, well, I could try without being invisible, but I'm not the stealthiest person." She looks up, eyes glinting slightly in the dim light. "I don't need to see someone to pull information from their mind. Just being close enough will do. If I could get halfway into that large room, I could tell you for sure whether Myre is behind the curtain or not. And quite possibly everything he's thinking or planning to boot."


Male Human Wizard | HP 22/22 |AC 17 (Tch 13, FF 14) | Fort 0, Ref +3, Will +7|Init +1 Perception +1

All right then:

The two scouts move quietly back to the antechamber. After a whispered consultation, Walter reaches into his vest and pulls out a sachet of coarse white powder, which he mixes with a liquid from another vial. The resulting combination immediately turns a violent, shocking, luminous pink. "Drink this," he says curtly, handing it to Maritine.

Peptus Salix, alchemical reagent -- 30 gp a pop, gives a second save against sickness. Since Maritine is posting intermittently, I'll roll her second Fort save.

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19 <-- woo, Maritine is no longer sickened.

Walter will fashion a crude scarf to wrap around the lower part of his face. That'll give him +4 on his save. Of course, Fort is not Walter's strong save, at all...

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10 <-- dang, Walter only had one dose. So basically we paid 30 gp to move the Sickened condition from Maritine to me. Well, better the non-combat wizard than the character who might go into melee.

Yelena, make your Fort save and let's start this happy fun ball rolling!


[Loot] | [Maps] Toilsday the 13th of Pharast, around 11:30 p.m.

With the plan determined, the group moves into place. (Map updated!)

Walter covers his face with a scarf to guard against the fumes, but it's no good; his eyes immediately begin to water as he climbs the step, causing his vision to waver, and the top of his mouth and gullet sear with the noxious vapors. Gut rebelling, gag reflex besieging him, he follows after the other two, doing his level best not to simply bend over and vomit on top of the zombies.

Yelena Stealth: 1d20 + 1 + 20 ⇒ (15) + 1 + 20 = 36
Maritine Stealth: 1d20 + 10 + 20 ⇒ (13) + 10 + 20 = 43
Walter Stealth: 1d20 + 11 + 20 - 2 ⇒ (8) + 11 + 20 - 2 = 37

DM Screen:

Zombie Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (4) + 0 = 4
Zombie Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (16) + 0 = 16
Zombie Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11
Zombie Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (10) + 0 = 10
Zombie Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (12) + 0 = 12
Zombie Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (19) + 0 = 19
Zombie Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (15) + 0 = 15
Zombie Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (7) + 0 = 7

The trio pads over the greasy walkways, moving very slowly so as to not endanger themselves (moving at half-speed negates the need for checks) and finally draw close to the far side of the room. Taking a shallow breath, Yelena casts Detect Thoughts and focuses intently on the thick, leather curtain.

Yelena:

Almost immediately you sense the thoughts of an individual on the far size of the curtain. Just the one.

Will Save: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

A few moments later this resolves itself actual thoughts: ...of course I'll need to stock up on more bottles, by the gods, enough to bathe in, a sea of whisky with which to wash away these days, enough to weather the week, and then - oh please, by the fates and the cursed old ones, and then surely it will turn its attentions elsewhere, perhaps it will be sated by devouring a few thousand souls, how many live in Carrion Hill? Thirty thousand? Forty? Please let that be enough, it has to be, why bother with me if I'm just the one, my soul is meager and besotted with booze, oh, let it break into a nice large house, or a hundred, or that blasted Crove's orphanage... are souls all the sweeter for being innocent? Or is a soul but a soul, like coin's worth is the same as any other's, regardless if it's newly minted or battered and worn? If so there's a veritable dragon's horde out there for it to fatten on, enough to sate even a being such as it, enough that it'll overlook me here...


Male Human Wizard | HP 22/22 |AC 17 (Tch 13, FF 14) | Fort 0, Ref +3, Will +7|Init +1 Perception +1

Nausea is an old acquaintance to Walter. He used to have stomach ulcers. They got worse under his second master, and much worse under his third. They're mostly better now. Still: he curses the apothecary who wouldn't compose a second dose of peptus salix.

Mind sparkling, stomach churning, the wizard breathes shallowly and tries to stay focused.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Psychic (Esoteric Starseeker) 5 | HP 22/27 | AC: 18 (T: 11, FF: 17) | Saves: F:+7, R:+5, W:+9 (+2 vs fear effects) | Init: +6 | Perc. +10
More Info:
BAB: +2, CMB: 1, CMD: +12 | Spells: (1st) 3/8, (2nd) 3/6, (Bonus) 1/0 | Phrenic Pool 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

Fort: 1d20 + 7 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 7 + 4 = 31

Yelena is unbothered by the smell. She's seen, and smelt, worse than some ground-up roaches.

The thoughts, however...those cause her gorge to rise.

"He's there, behind the curtain" she whispers through the Message spell. "Praying that the monster will slaughter every soul in Carrion Hill so long as it overlooks his."

She's no stranger to cowardice. But this, to pray for the deaths of thousands of innocents just for the slimmest chance of escaping the consequences of your own actions...that's not just cowardice. It's evil.

And she should feel no more guilty for slaying the mind behind those thoughts than she should for killing the ghoul earlier.

"He's alone, or at least unaccompanied by anything intelligent, he's drunk, and he doesn't suspect our presence." She takes a deep breath, heedless of the stench. "Let's go. If we can catch him off guard...I have a spell in mind that might make it impossible for him to cast any of his own."


Male Human Wizard | HP 22/22 |AC 17 (Tch 13, FF 14) | Fort 0, Ref +3, Will +7|Init +1 Perception +1
Yelena Stanescu wrote:

[

"He's there, behind the curtain" she whispers through the Message spell. "Praying that the monster will slaughter every soul in Carrion Hill so long as it overlooks his."

"Excellent!" Everyone is invisible, but you can hear the smile in Walter's whisper. The wide, slightly insane smile. "All deserve to die, die, die, die, but... bad people first! It's morality!"

Quote:
"He's alone, or at least unaccompanied by anything intelligent, he's drunk, and he doesn't suspect our presence." She takes a deep breath, heedless of the stench. "Let's go. If we can catch him off guard...I have a spell in mind that might make it impossible for him to cast any of his own."

"Ha ha yes. I also have a spell. A simple, simple spell. The classics. Are classics for a reason. It will make it difficult for him to walk. We don't want him escaping. No."


[Loot] | [Maps] Toilsday the 13th of Pharast, around 11:30 p.m.

Myre Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

Yelena creeps up the stairs to the massive, fetid leather curtain. It hangs with a heaviness that indicates its thickness, but its easy to find the part in the center and press her face through to peer beyond.

Numerous tables, cabinets, and chairs in this area make it apparent that this is where much of the business and paperwork for the Vat occurs, although the disarray of the furniture makes it look as if someone’s made a not-too-subtle search of the area recently.

Rupman Myre stands hunched over a table, shaking a bottle fitfully as if seeking to wring more whisky from its glassine sides. Unaware of Yelena, he scowls at the bottle and holds it up to the lantern light.

Yelena Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25

Yelena quickly takes in the contents of the room, and finds nothing of note or concern beyond the Keeper himself. Tall, gangly, and clad in filthy beige robes, Myre has clearly seen better days. His dreds hang almost to his waist, their black lengths beringed and beaded, while a staff of gnarled wood is clutched even now in his left hand. With his cowl pulled over his face and his shoulders hunched as if in expectation of a blow, he seems, on some level, to already have been defeated.


Female Human Gunslinger (Bolt Ace) 5 | HP:43/43 | Grit 4/4 |
Stats:
|AC 21, Touch 17, FlatFoot 14, CMD 21 | Fort +7, Ref +12, Will +5| Init +8 | Perception +13

Reaching into her coat, Lys draws a set of finely crafted picks from a pocket. If they didn't want me to get in, they would've gotten better locks., she thinks to herself as she sets to work the door. I just hope I don't get stranded here while the rest..., she swallows nervously as the pick dances in the keyhole, imagining a horde of zombies pouncing on her allies.

Rolls/OoC:

Disable Device: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (7) + 16 = 23
Stealth: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (6) + 15 = 21


Male Human Wizard | HP 22/22 |AC 17 (Tch 13, FF 14) | Fort 0, Ref +3, Will +7|Init +1 Perception +1

Yelena gives Walter a hard nudge. "Go!"

Yelena drops Heightened Awareness, gaining +4 on her upcoming Initiative roll.

Walter steps forward, reaches into his vest, and pulls out several components. With a few soft hissing words, he makes a complex gesture that ends with one hand outspread.

Burning one dose of Alchemical Grease as a reagent to give +1 on the spell DC -- it's now a DC 18 Reflex save.


Female Human Psychic (Esoteric Starseeker) 5 | HP 22/27 | AC: 18 (T: 11, FF: 17) | Saves: F:+7, R:+5, W:+9 (+2 vs fear effects) | Init: +6 | Perc. +10
More Info:
BAB: +2, CMB: 1, CMD: +12 | Spells: (1st) 3/8, (2nd) 3/6, (Bonus) 1/0 | Phrenic Pool 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

Seeing Myre standing there, Yelena feels a brief instant of pity. An instant which is immediately supplanted by the memory of the vile thoughts she'd witnessed. No man who would throw an entire city to that creature is deserving of pity.

Through the Message spell, she merely whispers, "Now."

Yelena steps into the room, dismissing both her previous spell and her invisibility as she prepares to cast something more...distressing. "The Starsong's blessings are not upon you this night, Myre."

OOC:
Casting Ill Omen. The next two d20 rolls Myre makes must be rolled twice and the less favorable result taken. No save.

Yelena's initiative is +10 for this combat.


Female Human Lepidstadt Inspector 5 | Initiative +3 | Perception +10 | Fort +3 Ref +8 Will +7 | HP 45 AC 18

Maritine takes the concoction from Walter and forcefully swallows it, caught between that terrible moment when she isn't sure if she'll be better or worse off for taking it, and nodding in appreciation once her stomach settles enough for her to cough and spit to steel herself, re-wrapping her face covering and drawing her rapier. Everybody had moved into position and their luck had held for the moment - Myre was unaware they were here.

He'd certainly know soon enough.

"Yes...Morality." She says as Walter's bloodlust bothers her for a brief moment, but not enough to put doubt into her resolve as she stalks forward to join Yelena in confronting Myre - If she was lucky and fast enough, perhaps she'd be able to interrogate the miserable man before the inevitable.

OOC:
Drawing Rapier, moving to Yelena? Assuming I'm reading the map right.


[Loot] | [Maps] Toilsday the 13th of Pharast, around 11:30 p.m.

Surprise Round

The air before Yelena shears with potent magics that form a vortex around Myre's head. Even as he whips around in shock to glare at her, the shimmering power sluices down into his being, absorbed in an instant, and to Yelena's eye she can now see how the fates will conspire against him.

Walter thumbs a wad of butter, and Myre's staff immediately takes on an oily hue, its wooden whorls glistening oleaginously.

Reflex #1: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Reflex #2: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

The staff slips from his grasp. Myre fumbles for it, batting it about for a second or two, before it falls clear to rattle upon the floor.

The subdued groans of the zombies behind them cut short as both casters appear before the leather curtain, catching their attention.

Outside, Lys works the lock on the door for a few feverish seconds, but immediately realizes the mechanism is too complex for her.

Maritine, Mihaela, and Kolthis, you can act during this surprise round. Either move into position or otherwise tell me what you do. Lys, since it seems kind of rough to leave you locked outside, we can say you figured out the lock was too complex earlier on, and moved back into the building to get into position in the rear.


M CG Dwarf Fighter 2/Cleric of Desna 3 | HP: 45/50 | AC: 21, T: 12, FF: 17) | CMB: +9, CMD: 21 | F: +10, R: +5, W: +7 (+1 against Fear Effects) | Init: +7 | Darkvision 60ft, Perc: +10, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 1/4 2nd 2/3 | Active conditions: None

Looking past the empty space where he figured his companions would be at, Kolthis surveyed the room. Gods, this place was a mess. And no wonder, with the undead roaming and working here. Any place with undead was cursed. It was unnatural - people should stay dead. As much as you wanted them to come back, and he knew how bad that longing got, it was better than being a mindless husk. But no matter. He would soon remedy their unlife. "Starsong da ponere istum omne malum benedicere." With a hand around his holy hammer, he said a prayer to his Goddess, and felt her presence course through him. Just as he did, he heard Yelena and the invisible crew start their work with Myre, surprising him. Guess that's the signal. "Oy, you mangy, rotting carcasses of filth! Lemme introduce you to someone who wants to get to know you's real well." he shouted with a laugh, hoisting Lucy up, and preparing for the undead. He wouldn't let his party get hurt. Not again. Not ever again.

Dice/OoC:

Casting Divine Favor for a +2 to atk/damage.

AoO 1: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18
AoO 1 Damage: 1d12 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17
AoO 2: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13
AoO 2 Damage: 1d12 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 18

Fort Save: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21
Also, in case I need it.


Female Human Lepidstadt Inspector 5 | Initiative +3 | Perception +10 | Fort +3 Ref +8 Will +7 | HP 45 AC 18

Rapier drawn and nerves steeled Maritine waited for the right moment, tension coiled within her like a viper. She did not have to wait long, with both Walter and Yelena twisting the miserable Myre's fate - as was deserved.

She felt no need to announce herself or her intentions; they had precious few moments of advantage, why waste them? With clear intent she stalks forward and scrutinizes Myre for the best place to pierce with her rapier; her stance of a veteran Lepidstadt duelist as the blade thrusts forth.

Dice/OOC:

Studied Combat - Myre (+2 Insight bonus to attack and damage rolls)
Rapier Attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14
Inspiration Buff to attack roll: 1d6 ⇒ 1
Rapier Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Burned through 2 Inspiration points, 4 remaining.


Female Half-elf {conditions: none} Inquisitor 5 | HP 15/28 | AC 22 (Tch 16 FF 16) | F +5 R +8 W +9 (+2 vs. ench.) | Init +10 | Perc +12, low-light vision, scent (vs. aberr.)

Mihaela watches in awe as Yelena concentrates and Myre's mind is flung wide open, all the while with the Keeper being none the wiser. She can't help but feel a modicum of pity for the hapless soul who dabbled with things he could not understand, and is now unknowingly living his very last moments courtesy of people he cannot even see.

Still, morality. Death has come for him, not the one he expected, yet the one he deserved nonetheless. A death which could help save the countless citizens he would so gladly sacrifice in his stead.

At Yelena's signal, Mihaela springs into action.

Mihaela would use her surprise action to attack from range with her returning Starknife if she has a clear trajectory, or maneuver into position is she does not.


[Loot] | [Maps] Toilsday the 13th of Pharast, around 11:30 p.m.

During the Surprise round, you can either take a standard or a move action, but not both. As such, Maritine and Mihaela can move past the leather curtain, but not attack. I'll rule that Maritine charges into position but doesn't attack, and have moved Mihaela into the far room as well so that she can attack during the first round.

Kolthis steps into view and gives his defiant roar; immediately the closest four zombies orient on him, and without any show of emotion or surprise begin shambling directly to where he stands.

Only to be hit by a blast of divine energy that reduces them to bones and sinew, the skin ablated right off their skulls, smoke and the stench of burnt flesh rising to compete with the stench of the middenstone vats. Yet still they come, only to be felled by his second wave of power, collapsing into piles of dessicated bones mere yards from where he stands.

Mihaela and Maritine burst through the leather curtain, Maritine surging right up to where the stupefied Myre stands, Mihaela hugging the wall as she draws back her starknife.

Myre's eyes bulge forth in outrage. "What - this is private property - thieves! Die! You're all going to die, and I'll raise your bodies and force you to do unspeakable things to each other -"

Round One

Mihaela: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30
Walter: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
Lys: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Martine: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Kolthis: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
Yelena: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Myre: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Zombies: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19

Mihaela and Yelena are up.


Female Human Psychic (Esoteric Starseeker) 5 | HP 22/27 | AC: 18 (T: 11, FF: 17) | Saves: F:+7, R:+5, W:+9 (+2 vs fear effects) | Init: +6 | Perc. +10
More Info:
BAB: +2, CMB: 1, CMD: +12 | Spells: (1st) 3/8, (2nd) 3/6, (Bonus) 1/0 | Phrenic Pool 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

"Thieves? We have no interest in stealing from you. We're here to ensure you face the consequences of your actions. Although the creature isn't going to kill you." Yelena smiles, a strangely predatory expression that seems out of place on her face. "We will."

A twist of thought seeks out certain specific memories in Myre's mind and locks them behind a barrier of Yelena's creation. Unfortunately doing so requires her to enmesh herself even more thoroughly in Myre's mind. To see the world through his eyes, the way he experiences it. For a fraction of a second she feels it, his hunger for...

Knowledge, dark knowledge, forbidden knowledge, arcane secrets that will allow Myre/Yelena to shape the world to his/her will...

She breaks free with a gasp, but she can still feel the taint staining her soul. That hunger.

The Starsong's gifts always have a price.

OOC:
Casting Mental Block, Will DC18 to negate. On a failure the target loses all skill ranks, spells known, spells prepared, and activated feats, as well as its extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities. This lasts for five rounds, with the target getting another save at the end of his turn each round.


Male Human Wizard | HP 22/22 |AC 17 (Tch 13, FF 14) | Fort 0, Ref +3, Will +7|Init +1 Perception +1

"If you can leave a space around the target for a moment more? Please do," says Walter calmly.

Burning Hands coming up in Round 1. So unless you have Evasion, maybe don't crowd around him for a flank right away -- I can avoid hitting one adjacent person, but not two. TBC if you want to flank him, that's fine! Just delay until after Walter's initiative...


Female Human Gunslinger (Bolt Ace) 5 | HP:43/43 | Grit 4/4 |
Stats:
|AC 21, Touch 17, FlatFoot 14, CMD 21 | Fort +7, Ref +12, Will +5| Init +8 | Perception +13

Giving up on the door, but not before giving it a scathing tirade in Dwarven, Lys runs back to the door just in time to intercept Kolthis' warcry. "Right behind you. Just don't jump too high.", she quips, pointing her crossbow towards the zombies. Here's hoping we don't get overrun by an entire horde..., she thinks to herself as the stench of the place pierces her nostrils.


Female Half-elf {conditions: none} Inquisitor 5 | HP 15/28 | AC 22 (Tch 16 FF 16) | F +5 R +8 W +9 (+2 vs. ench.) | Init +10 | Perc +12, low-light vision, scent (vs. aberr.)

Mihalea doesn't even wait for Myre to complete his hollow threat. Instead, she strives to make sure his words die in his throat: he's not even halfway through his blathering that her starknife if already flying in the direction of his neck.

Rolls:

Move Action: study target

Swift Action: activate bane

Standard Action: throw Starknife at Myre
   Thrown Starknife (bane, studied target): 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (20) + 15 = 35 confirm critical?: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (16) + 15 = 31 I'll go ahead and assume it confirms...
   Damage (bane, studied target, sneak attack, critical): 3d4 + 2d6 + 1d6 + 33 ⇒ (3, 3, 4) + (6, 2) + (3) + 33 = 54

"Sorry. Unlike you, I don't have the patience to deal with the dead."

54 damage, let's keep up the pressure guys...


[Loot] | [Maps] Toilsday the 13th of Pharast, around 11:30 p.m.

It all happens so fast.

One moment Myre is muttering to himself and peering through a whiskey bottle as if it were a lens; the next the leather curtain parts, a few words are exchanged, and then Mihaela steps into view.

Her starknife flies at his neck. While it doesn't quite sever his head, it does cleave through the majority of it; muscle, tendon, windpipe, arteries - all are severed by the terrible blow, and the Keeper doesn't even have time to so much as croak before he collapses to the ground in a welter of gore.

Outside, in the main chamber, the remaining zombies collapse, their magical strings severed, their low moans no more.

On Myre:
The dead Keeper has a dagger, a potion of cure moderate wounds, ring of counterspells (contained spell unknown), a gold ring of protection +2 (careful evaluation reveals it to be a bonded item, nonfunctional for anyone but him), scrolls of gentle repose (3), keys to all doors in Rupman’s Vat, key to area D8, 100 gp worth of item crafting supplies, 35 gp in a pouch.

There is nothing of value on the observation platform; using Myre's keys, you gain entrance to the sole remaining room.

A small cot lies in one corner of this room, opposite a desk and rickety wooden chair. A door to the north hangs ajar, revealing a small water closet in the alcove beyond.

The desk contains Myre's journal.

Journal:
This describes his experiences exploring the catacombs under Carrion Hill, and has some pretty wild observations about just how much is left to be uncovered. A sample excerpt reads “The Numerians were keen to be away after ransacking the Hill, as the scale of the tunnels below daunted them. They kept finding more and more parts of the old libraries behind false doors and secret rooms. Eventually they decided simply to flood the tunnels, but this failed them too, for the ancients were keen intellects, and their tunnels do not flood easily. It is possible that whole series of chambers such as the Sunless Grove lie waiting to be uncovered.”

The journal goes on to detail the discovery of the incantation in the Pnakotic Manuscripts to open the portal at the Sunless Grove, as well as Myre’s obvious excitement at the prospect of using the portal to contact “keen intellects beyond the human shell.” The last entry is from a few days ago, and simply says “Tomorrow the Old Gods shall speak once more, and we Keepers shall be in attendance to learn from them.”

Rest of desk:
The desk also contains some ledgers of customers, a bag of 100 gp, and some fine writing implements worth 100 gp. Myre’s spellbooks are kept on a shelf built into the side of the desk—they contain the following spells:

4th-enervation, black tentacles
3rd—hold person, vampiric touch
2nd—acid arrow, darkvision, false life, ghoul touch, see invisibility
1st—cause fear, charm person, feather fall, mage armor, unseen servant
0-acid splash, detect magic, light, read magic, touch of fatigue


Male Human Wizard | HP 22/22 |AC 17 (Tch 13, FF 14) | Fort 0, Ref +3, Will +7|Init +1 Perception +1

Key to Area D8: noted!

What was that staff?


Male Human Wizard | HP 22/22 |AC 17 (Tch 13, FF 14) | Fort 0, Ref +3, Will +7|Init +1 Perception +1

AW YEAH SPELLBOOK

Walter ignores everything else and grabs the book. He begins flipping through it, muttering to himself.

It takes one hour / spell level to learn a spell from a spell book, and the DC is 15 + the spell level. So, not going to happen right away. Also, the only spells here that I'm really intrigued by are the two fourth level spells, which I can't use yet. Still!


[Loot] | [Maps] Toilsday the 13th of Pharast, around 11:30 p.m.

Apparently the staff was non-magical.


Female Human Gunslinger (Bolt Ace) 5 | HP:43/43 | Grit 4/4 |
Stats:
|AC 21, Touch 17, FlatFoot 14, CMD 21 | Fort +7, Ref +12, Will +5| Init +8 | Perception +13

One second Lys is staring at a horde of zombies, ready to fight a horde alongside Kolthis. The second, she sees them drop like flies with an incredulous look on her face. Oh, Desna... They've killed him already?, she gasps, surprised at the alacrity of her companions, the faint warmth of victory's peace rising across her spine. "Good job, Kolthis. We really taught them, didn't we.", she mutters a moment later, chuckling exaltedly at the end. Taking a few cautious steps towards the room, Lys glanced down at a zombie suspiciously, smashing her crossbow's hilt into the rotting beast's face. Putrid flesh covers the weapon and the ground. "Ugh. Well. Better safe than s-", she says, holding down a retch as she gestures to clean the viscera and maggots off.

Walking up into the office, Lys glances down at Myre's corpse. Whistling with disturbed approval at the wound, an uneasy expression crawls on her face. What if he knew where the others were, and our actions powered the beast? To leap for the kill like a rabid beast, wanting nothing to learn of their... I sound like Walter, unreasonable Walter, too. Shrugging theatrically, she sheathes her crossbow. "Good riddance. If that's insufficient evidence of necromancy for the Crown, I know where I'm starting my criminal empire." Putting her hands in her pockets, she shrugs. "So, where do we feel about going next? I'd say the poisoner, but if someone is really itching to go to the asylum, I'm not stopping them!"


Female Human Psychic (Esoteric Starseeker) 5 | HP 22/27 | AC: 18 (T: 11, FF: 17) | Saves: F:+7, R:+5, W:+9 (+2 vs fear effects) | Init: +6 | Perc. +10
More Info:
BAB: +2, CMB: 1, CMD: +12 | Spells: (1st) 3/8, (2nd) 3/6, (Bonus) 1/0 | Phrenic Pool 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

For a long moment Yelena stares at Myre's corpse, face blank. Fool. That he died so easily proves him unworthy of the knowledge he wished to claim...

She blinks, and seems to shake herself.

"Well. That went...well." She steps to a corner of the room while the others search Myre's body; at the moment she doesn't want to be any closer to the corpse than absolutely necessary.

As the door opens into Myre's study, Walter is drawn to the spellbooks. Yelena is drawn to the journal. She (reluctantly) picks it up and quickly skims the last few passages. "Nothing written since before the summoning. It seems afterwards Myre wished more to drink than to write." Her eyes lock onto the last sentence, 'we Keepers shall be in attendance to learn from them,' and she shudders. She understands, she can't cast that spell on someone and not understand, and she wishes she didn't.

And we have to do this twice more, hoping that it's enough.

"I agree that the poisoner should be next. He's closer to us, closer to where the creature was last, and easier to get to. Crove won't be alone at the asylum; we won't be able to simply walk in" and murder him "the way we did here."


M CG Dwarf Fighter 2/Cleric of Desna 3 | HP: 45/50 | AC: 21, T: 12, FF: 17) | CMB: +9, CMD: 21 | F: +10, R: +5, W: +7 (+1 against Fear Effects) | Init: +7 | Darkvision 60ft, Perc: +10, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 1/4 2nd 2/3 | Active conditions: None

One moment, Kolthis was staring down the room of zombies, blessings of Desna coursing through his veins, ready to explode justice upon the evils of the accursed hellhole they had found themselves in...

And the next, it was all quiet, zombies turned into dust, and necromancer shredded.

Kolthis blinked in surprise, slowly lowering Lucy. "Well that was...anticlimactic. I suppose we scared them off real good, eh Lys?"
He chuckled along with her, walking back to the room while avoiding the stinking flesh on the ground. He scrunched his nose, looking around at the necromancer's abode.

"Well, this place is certainly...charming." He looked around at the man's notes and junk on the desk in disdain.

"I agree with that, Lys and Yelena. Speed is key, and the faster we get to the next destination, the better. We can only hope it would be as easy as this - though I sincerely doubt it."


Female Human Lepidstadt Inspector 5 | Initiative +3 | Perception +10 | Fort +3 Ref +8 Will +7 | HP 45 AC 18

Rapier ready, stance perfect, a dozen perfect duels and their movements etched into her memory, she lunges expertly with her rapier's point aligned with Myre's jugular and almost falls flat on her face as she trips over Myre's corpse.

Steadying herself she whips around, eyes wide and ablaze; she looks about ready to launch into a vicious tirade (she's almost pointing) and almost immediatly she stops, huffs, sheathes her rapier and collects herself; she is a professional if nothing else.

"Excellent throw." She tells Mihaela; she's still huffy, but it's an honest compliment. Her hackles are almost risen again as Walter practically snatches Myre's book before the man's hit the ground but she lets it go and instead refocuses on the task at hand and the investigation thereof.

Maritine follows Yelena into the study and takes it in; Ledgers, spellbooks, materials, trinkets and junk. It was theirs to disect, and disect she would. She lets Yelena have the journal and leaves Walter to the spellbooks, hoping to sift anything inside that might be of use to them.

perception?: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

301 to 350 of 436 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Carrion Hill All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.