[PFS2 / GMGlyn] 1-06 Lost on The Spirit Road / Table one (Inactive)

Game Master GHembree

Table One Map


1 to 50 of 243 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Please post/dot to register character.

Grand Archive

NG female human rogue scholar HP 17/17; hero 3/3; AC 18; F +4; R +9; W +5; P +5; Stealth +9; 25'; Conditions: none

A young woman sits down at the briefing. At first glance she is a bit of a contradiction. She has the height and face bones of the Khelid of the north. However her movement is that of a dancer, and her dress that of a scholar.

Taking out a pen, she prepares to make notes.

Grand Lodge

Adventuring in Tian Xia each of you arrived in Minkai within the past few months. Since then you have been working with Venture-Captain Amara Li to help lay the groundwork for a lodge in Minkai, performing a variety of tasks that are well-suited to your individual skills.

You know that Amara Li has been collecting relics from across the world to house in the new museum with a focus on relics from Minkaian history that have been kept in other nations. To this end, she has been traveling all over the nation to pursue leads. These relics have come from a combination of purchases and donations, and she has occasionally called on local Pathfinders to guard the relics.

Your group has currently working in Sakakabe, a prosperous city famous for its trade in silver and pearls when Venture-Captain Li summoned you to meet with her in one of the gardens of the Kiniro Kyomai teahouse, a famous teahouse run by geisha. The quality of the Kiniro Kyomai’s tea, food, and samisen music makes it a popular destination for locals and travelers alike. She waits for everyone to arrive and enjoy their tea before turning their attention to more serious matters.

Envoy's Alliance

NG female halfling (twilight halfling) Cleric of Desna level 1| HP 15/15 | AC 16* | F +4 R +5 W +9 | Perc +7 (+9 for hidden foes and secret doors) | Stealth +2 | speed 25 | focus 1/1 | spells cantrip 4/5; 1st 2/2+4 (heal) | Active Conditions: Shield

The female halfling, adorned in a spun-silk robe obviously recently purchased, wanders the teahouse, her mouth agape at the new sights and sounds. She particularly marvels at the birds squawking from within the towering bamboo shafts.

"What are they called again, Venture-Captain Li?" Orla asks. "They sure don't have birds that look like that in Absalom, or Cheliax for that matter. Desna blesses us with the gift of travel - I intend to make the most of it!"

She sips at her porcelain cup with her pinky extended, only sitting down once everyone gathers and the business at hand seems to be at hand.

Grand Archive

NG female human rogue scholar HP 17/17; hero 3/3; AC 18; F +4; R +9; W +5; P +5; Stealth +9; 25'; Conditions: none

The other, slightly odder looking lady nods her head at Orla. "It must be the wandering nature of my father. But I too love to travel. To stay in one place and not see with my own eyes all the world has to offer. That would be a great shame."

She sips the cup of tea delicately. Which to be fair is quite the sight, her large fingers clutching at the delicate handle of the cup, looking as if they might break it with a careless clench.

"I am Teja. Born in the far north, I have travelled far trying to find my father. I'm told he is a scholar with the Society, but have yet to actually meet him.."

Grand Archive

NG Male Half-Orc Bard 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 18 | F +3 R +6 W +5 | Perc +5 (low-light vision) | Stealth +6 | 25 ft. | Active Conditions: ---

As Teja and Orla begins to converse and sip on their tea a sound of a new bird can be heard. It is somehow similar to the ones heard before but somehow different. And the same way as it brought your attention the birds started to respond to its call by chirping more frequently.

After couple of minutes, the new bird that you couldn't see but could have sworn to be somewhere on the ground turns silent. And few moments later a new pathfinder joins you in the room.

He is a rather tall human, from the color of his skin you can assume that he is somewhere from Mwangi region as it is almost black. As you look at a bit closer it is very dark green falling into black. His eyes are almost yellow and his teeth even that white are a bit different then from the other humans. He must have had some Orcish blood in his ancestry.

The man holds a flute in his hands and smiles broadly. First, he bows to Venture-Captain Li:

"Good Morning Lady Li, my name is Xun Saburo and I came here just yesterday to Sakakabe and was honored by a proposition to join this mission."

Then he turns towards the halfling:

"It is a pleasure to meet you, I am not proficient in religious matters but you look like a cleric of some deity, am I correct? My name is Xun and I am a storyteller."

Then he takes a cup and turns towards human:

"You look like a northwoman, but I can see a more complex story that led you here. I would likely hear it and possibly use it as an inspiration for a song."

Aerondor - always good to play with you, dinketry - I don't think I ever played with you so it's a pleasure to meet you. I was in Dunedin and loved the city

Vigilant Seal

43870-2001 | Human M (Garundi) Ranger 1 | ePerc +7 | tAC 18 | | HP 19/19| eF +6 eR +9 tW +5 | tAcro +6 tAthletics +4 tCraft +3 tDip +3 tScout L/Undgrn L +3 tNature +5 tStealth +6 tSurvival + 5 tThievery +6 Human Ranger 1

Anjo has takene some time to arrive by way of Absalom. He greats the other Pathfinders and informs them of his talents (or lack there of) and his skills that may be helpfu. 1st lvl Archery Ranger

Anjo is dark-skinned Garundi male with surprising white hair.

Envoy's Alliance

NG female halfling (twilight halfling) Cleric of Desna level 1| HP 15/15 | AC 16* | F +4 R +5 W +9 | Perc +7 (+9 for hidden foes and secret doors) | Stealth +2 | speed 25 | focus 1/1 | spells cantrip 4/5; 1st 2/2+4 (heal) | Active Conditions: Shield

GM, Orla will have spent 2gp from her purse to purchase a fine silk robe of Minkaian creation.

Orla smiles at Teja, Xun, and Anjo in turn, showing her third-most charming smile. "My love of travel didn't give me away, did it?" she winks at Xun. "I'm a priest of Desna; I bring blessings for all."

She smiles at Xun's flute. "And I'm not too bad on the mouth harp, sweets, in case we need something to pass the time. I've been known to collaborate."

Horizon Hunters

CN male razortooth goblin ranger 1 | HP 17/18 | AC 18 | F +7 R +9 W +4 | Perc +6 | Stealth +7 | speed 25

Raznik sits quietly eating and drinking in as polite a way as a goblin who has lived most of his life in the woods knows how. He pokes at some of the different food and curiously unravels the carefully crafted rolls before chewing on them with some razorsharp teeth. He smacks his tongue as the seaweed sticks to his mouth. "Dis kinda weird...but tasty." He grins at the others somewhat charmingly.

"My name Raznik. I come to Sakakabe following flock of birds. Find some pretty shells and rocks to sell. They like birds to eat too." He grins with the mouthful of sharp teeth again, very proudly.

Envoy's Alliance

NG female halfling (twilight halfling) Cleric of Desna level 1| HP 15/15 | AC 16* | F +4 R +5 W +9 | Perc +7 (+9 for hidden foes and secret doors) | Stealth +2 | speed 25 | focus 1/1 | spells cantrip 4/5; 1st 2/2+4 (heal) | Active Conditions: Shield

"Hello, Raznik!" Orla says brightly. "I'm Orla. A pleasure to meet you. You sure do have sharp teeth."

Grand Lodge

Teja is first to arrive taking a seat with pen and paper ready.

Orla Pfeffenpfoffer a halfling priestess of Desna adorned in a fine silk robe of the Minkaian style is second to arrive asking about the proper title for Venture-Captain Li and talking about the gift of travel.

Teja agrees with Orla as they sip tea and chat before they are joined by Xun Saburo a Half-Orc Bard who introduces himself to the ladies.

A Garundi human arrives next he introduces himself as Anjo Aroh a skilled Archer.

As the group chats and sips tea, you notice a goblin appeared at some point and is messily eating some of the rolls. After commenting about the food he introduces himself as Raznik as he smiles showing off a mouthful of sharp teeth.

The sixth member of your party arrives, a male half-elf he gives a bow and introduces himself as Junior Peppers a Sorcerer.

With the group assembled Amara Li sets down her teacup, ”It is time to turn our attention to more serious matters. I fear that misfortune may have struck some of your fellow agents. I hope that you can help them return here to safety, but I fear the task I have to request of you may instead center around recovering what you can from your missing allies and, if it is safe to do so, completing the mission in their stead.”

After a brief pause where Amara Li looks at each Pathfinder to ensure that they are agreeable to the idea of a recovery mission.

The venture-captain continues “Last year, I received a donation of relics from Taldor. The route is lengthy and complicated, so I will spare you unnecessary details. A caravan carrying the relics safely arrived in Hongal to the north, where it met up with a pair of Pathfinder agents, Lin Po and Ti Lan. These agents inspected the cargo, sent me a missive indicating that all was in order, and joined a second caravan to take the Spirit Road through the Forest of Spirits. The journey is understandably long, taking over two months to complete. Still, the caravan is late, and I fear that they may have run into trouble along the way. They were supposed to reach Sakakabe two weeks ago.”

“While it’s possible that they were waylaid in the northernmost parts of Minkai, I believe it’s far more likely that they ran into trouble in the Forest of Spirits, a mystical place that shelters departed souls and most of the world’s kami. Kami are spiritual guardians with a deep connection to certain living locations or living things. The locals pay great respect to the kami, never intruding further into the forest than their one coastal road, the Spirit Road, and a number of small settlements built around shrines. This should make tracking the caravan simple since there’s only a single road along which they should have had to rest or resupply at some point. I need you to check each of the roadside settlements until you find the last one to have seen the caravan, then track it from there and figure out what happened.”

“Be sure to respect the kami and the local traditions honoring them; I don’t want you to come to harm in your journey. The kami are mostly benevolent, so long as they receive the proper respect, but there are some dangers that might have harried the caravan. Bandits, hobgoblins, and giants, among other creatures, dwell within the forest. The forest also hosts some aggressive plants and animals, not to mention malign spirits such as the oni, the sworn enemies of the kami. The locals will know more than I of what perils to expect.”

Amara looks at your group, ”Do you have any questions?”

Orla, Raznik, Xun, J.P.:
You both recall general information about the Forest of Spirits, including its dense population of Kami and mostly benign spirits that can possess living creatures to share memories but exert little control over their host.

DM Screen:

6d20 ⇒ (3, 11, 14, 20, 16, 5) = 69

Grand Archive

NG female human rogue scholar HP 17/17; hero 3/3; AC 18; F +4; R +9; W +5; P +5; Stealth +9; 25'; Conditions: none

"What langauges to the locals here mostly speak? My own Tien... is pretty dreadful." admits the young scholar.

"Also, are there protocols that one should follow when interacting with the Kami? Lastly, will you provide us some type of identification or letter, so that the pathfidners, should we meet them, will know us for genuine people acting on your behalf?"

She then picks up her tea, and sips again.

"We should probably discuss our various strengths. I'm more a scholar than anything else, but from my time in Ossirani have picked up a bit of a sense for the nearness of traps.."

Horizon Hunters

CN male razortooth goblin ranger 1 | HP 17/18 | AC 18 | F +7 R +9 W +4 | Perc +6 | Stealth +7 | speed 25

"Hello, Orla!" The goblin waves and seems overly enthusiastic at her friendliness. At her request, he grins again to show a mouthful of daggerlike teeth. "Not all goblins have teeth like this. But very good to eat birds or rabbits or fish!"

As the venture-captain explains her concerns, Raznik nods. "Raznik know forests. This one sound...different than other ones. But Raznik can look for tracks to find them. Hobgoblins bad news. They mean to goblins. I no like them." He pauses. "You know anybody in the villages?"

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half Elf | Elemental Water Sorcerer 1 HP 16/16 | AC15 | F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +2 | Speed 25|Focus 1/1 | Spells 1 3/3 | Hero Points 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

Very sorry. I was dotted in but still didn't get any 'new' post indicators.

Junior sits quietly and listens to VC Li as she gives her opening statement to the group. He too takes notes in a journal and sips his tea. You can tell he's quite intrigued with the mixture, smelling it repeatedly as if trying to figure out the blend.

Recall Knowledge: Herbalism Lore: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16

"I've spent most of my life in and around the forest. My skills likely won't match Jaws over here but it got us through the skeeter invested woods last month ok." He absentmindedly scratches the back of his neck at the memory.

"I've learned the arts of herbalism from my Mother, and inherited some blood magic from my father, Peppers Senor." He rolls his eyes a bit at the mention of his father. Did you really have to give me your name sake? Its like a target I can't be rid of!

When the topic of languages comes up he gets a bit nervous "Oh I never really thought of a language barrier. I'm afraid if they don't speak Taldane or Elven I'm out of luck."

I just need to make a few last minute purchases tomorrow when I've got more time and I'll be ready. I'll also be choosing my consumables.

Envoy's Alliance

NG female halfling (twilight halfling) Cleric of Desna level 1| HP 15/15 | AC 16* | F +4 R +5 W +9 | Perc +7 (+9 for hidden foes and secret doors) | Stealth +2 | speed 25 | focus 1/1 | spells cantrip 4/5; 1st 2/2+4 (heal) | Active Conditions: Shield

”What kinds of relics are we seeking, Venture Captain?” Orla asks. ”Any idea of who might be interested in waylaying people to get at something specific?”

She then offers a more severe expression. ”Please tell us of our fellow Pathfinders - Lin Po and Ti Lan. What do they look like?”

Orla will take a lesser eagle’s eye elixir and a lesser antiplague as consumable items.

Grand Archive

NG Male Half-Orc Bard 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 18 | F +3 R +6 W +5 | Perc +5 (low-light vision) | Stealth +6 | 25 ft. | Active Conditions: ---
Orla wrote:
"And I'm not too bad on the mouth harp, sweets, in case we need something to pass the time. I've been known to collaborate."

Xun bows hearing that

"I always appreciate fellow musicians."

He listens to the briefing drinking the tea saying:
"Kami and oni. They sound like loas from my part which can be useful, dangerous, mischievous and all of that at once. Can you tell us something about the caravan? Who was leading it? How big was it?"

Xun thinks for a bit responding to a question about strengths:

"I can talk Teja that is my main strength. Given my heritage, I understand the world of spirits and I can ask them for help which sometimes is unpredictable but mostly, useful. With regards to languages, I speak Mwangi, Orcish and Common."

After the briefing Xun can go to gather some more information about Spirit Road and the forests. It is a secret roll my Diplomacy is +7. Are you making secret rolls GM?

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Teja asks what language is mostly spoken, the protocols for interacting with the Kami, and pathfinder identification letters.

Amara Li smiles, ”Tien is the most common language spoken, there may be some villages where that is the only language used. Each village has their own local traditions for honoring the kami, it would be best for you inquire how best to show respect at the village. Wayfinders are generally sufficient used as identification.”

Showing off his teeth to Orla, Raznik ask if the venture caption knows anybody in the villages.

Amara Li shakes her head, ”While I have traveled the Spirit Road once or twice, I do not have any contacts to give you. Most of the villages are small just a few families that tend the shrines and maintain the road.”

Lost in the enjoyment of the tea and Herbs, Junior Pepper mentally identifies the type of tea used. Returning to the conversation at hand he list forestry, herbalism, and blood magic as his skills.

Orla asks about the type of relics, who would be interested in waylaying people and for detailed descriptions of Lin Po and Ti Lan.

The Venture Captain takes a moment to sip her tea before replying, ”The list is quite extensive which is one reason it’s being shipped by wagons, but we will provide a manifest and detailed descriptions of Lin Po and Ti Lan. There could be bandits waylaying travelers.”

Xun Saburo ask about the caravan and who was leading it.

Amara Li response without having to consult notes ”I believe the caravan is three wagons, Pathfinders Lin Po and Ti Lan are leading it.”

Yes I made secret rolls for knowledge about the Spirit Road, but you can spend more time trying to gather more information.

After leaving the gardens of the Kiniro Kyomai teahouse, Xun Saburo spends a few hours chatting with locals for information about the Spirit Road and forests. Unfortunately he doesn't learn any new information.

The group has time to make final purchases before being expected to head out.

GM Screen:

1d20 ⇒ 5

Grand Archive

NG Male Half-Orc Bard 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 18 | F +3 R +6 W +5 | Perc +5 (low-light vision) | Stealth +6 | 25 ft. | Active Conditions: ---

After his failure with gathering information, Xun is ready to move out.

Grand Archive

NG female human rogue scholar HP 17/17; hero 3/3; AC 18; F +4; R +9; W +5; P +5; Stealth +9; 25'; Conditions: none

"Sounds like we will need to be careful. And I need to brush up on my Tien!" smiles Teja.

"And there is no time like the present!"

She looks around at the rest of the team. "Not sure how much use I will be on this mission, but sooner we are on the road, the sooner we will find out."

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half Elf | Elemental Water Sorcerer 1 HP 16/16 | AC15 | F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +2 | Speed 25|Focus 1/1 | Spells 1 3/3 | Hero Points 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

JR listens on, jotting down the answers to the group's questions and enjoying his tea. Its nice to see these agents taking a more active roll in things. That last mission really took a lot out of me.

As they do any last minute shopping JR will ask around the market for any gossip about the Spirit Road. Surely many of these people, or their suppliers have made the trek. +7 Diplomacy

"I'll take a scroll of heal and a scroll of burning hands if you don't mind. 8 gold, yes, thank you." He makes some purchases along the way as well.

Grand Lodge

Xun is ready to move on.

Teja suggest brushing up on her Tien and is ready to hit the road.

JR listens and takes notes.

Amara Li bows to your group as the meeting comes to a close, ”Ah, I almost forgot. A sturdy wagon with provisions for a month and a pair of horses to pull it has been prepared for your mission. May the winds of fate blow favorably upon you.”

While shopping Peppers speaks to an old shopkeeper who tells him a tale from his younger days when he was a traveling merchant, ”The Spirit Forest is so full of Kami it takes an extra day just from having to bow and make offering of rice or Sake. There was this one time when a Kami touched me and I had a vision of the bridge ahead. In this vision I saw Its supports being washed out by the rushing waters. With out that warning I’m sure the bridge would have collapsed as my wagon crossed it.”

GM Screen:

1d20 ⇒ 10

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half Elf | Elemental Water Sorcerer 1 HP 16/16 | AC15 | F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +2 | Speed 25|Focus 1/1 | Spells 1 3/3 | Hero Points 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

"You don't say?" The young Peppers replies, bowing politely. "Thanks very much. I'll be sure we offer up some appropriate gifts to the spirits on our way through. Could you point me to some sake and rice?" He asks.

Unless we already have some included in our provisions, I'll pick up some for offerings.

Grand Lodge

JR adds more rice and sake to the wagons provisions.

After completing any purchase in Sakakabe, the group sets off with horse powered wagon down the long load follow the caravan’s path in reverse. Although Sakakabe is the closest city to the forest of Spirits, it still takes several weeks of travel on a winding road through the Osogen Grasslands just to reach the Forest of Spirits.

Along the way, your group crosses paths with travelers heading south into Minkai, as well as the nomadic herders who call the rolling plains home. Unfortunately, no one the group meets in the grasslands has seen the caravan or people you’re looking for.

When you finally enter the Forest of Spirits, the atmosphere changes. The forest is cool and damp, and profoundly alive. Snow blankets the ground and clings to the branches of the towering pine and spruce trees. Birds, rodents, foxes, deer , bears, and numerous other creatures roam through the woods, keeping their distance from the road.

The density of the trees suggest that logging is almost unheard of in this forest. Animals are not the only creatures moving out in the woods; You occasionally see unexplained movement in the trees and rocks or feel like someone is watching you.

As your group progress through the forest, you visit several small villages, none of which have seen the caravan you're looking for. You do find signs of passage from several caravans and groups that travelled on foot, and the remains of campsites right next to the trail. However, there are no indications that any of these groups came to harm.

As the sun starts to descend from upon high and a light snow is falling, your group comes to another small village that is adjacent to a well keep roadside shrine. There are a hand full of villagers going about daily task of sweeping or weaving baskets. There is one old woman who is telling a story to a group of entranced children listening to her every word.

As you wagon pulls up, the old woman stands up and hobbles forward on an obviously painful leg. Approaching with a friendly smile she bows respectively, speaking common ”Welcome to Basaru, we are but a humble village and you honor us with your presence. Please stop and rest this evening as our guest! There is fresh water and food for you and your horses.”

Vigilant Seal

43870-2001 | Human M (Garundi) Ranger 1 | ePerc +7 | tAC 18 | | HP 19/19| eF +6 eR +9 tW +5 | tAcro +6 tAthletics +4 tCraft +3 tDip +3 tScout L/Undgrn L +3 tNature +5 tStealth +6 tSurvival + 5 tThievery +6 Human Ranger 1

Anjo has ben doing his best to apply what skills he has to assessing the situation as the party travels along the road.
Surprise surprise tracking, foraging, Wildife Survey hasn't been of any use in an outdoor scenario.

Anjo gives the woman a once over Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23. Anjo then turns his attention the rest of the village, looking for any indication that there is something different.

However, Anjo says nothing and let's those more adept at greetings do the talking.

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half Elf | Elemental Water Sorcerer 1 HP 16/16 | AC15 | F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +2 | Speed 25|Focus 1/1 | Spells 1 3/3 | Hero Points 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

Over the weeks on the road its become obvious that he's got good social skills, usually they are friendly but once or twice he's gotten frustrated and let his temper boil over. This was not one of those times.

"Good evening." He returns the bow and smiles, introducing himself and the others. "I am Junior, and these are my companions. We appreciate your hospitality, as do our horses."

He offers her a hand "Here let me help. Your leg looks very uncomfortable. You do well to greet travelers with it. What happened?" JR spends some time helping the woman and thanking her for the invitation. Doing his best to make a good impression. Diplomacy +7

Envoy's Alliance

NG female halfling (twilight halfling) Cleric of Desna level 1| HP 15/15 | AC 16* | F +4 R +5 W +9 | Perc +7 (+9 for hidden foes and secret doors) | Stealth +2 | speed 25 | focus 1/1 | spells cantrip 4/5; 1st 2/2+4 (heal) | Active Conditions: Shield

Orla has noted to the team her fluency in Halfling, Infernal, and Shadowtongue in addition to Common.

Orla bows herself and comes up alongside Junior, having established herself on the long journey as someone with a keen interest in the healing arts.

"I am Orla Pfeffenpfoffer. It is a pleasure to be greeted to Basaru - and in our native language as well! I see that you may need some attention to your leg. I have studied the healing arts and might be able to give you a hand....er, with your leg."

She smiles her second-best smile.

Medicine Check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20 To see what ails the old woman's leg.

Grand Archive

NG female human rogue scholar HP 17/17; hero 3/3; AC 18; F +4; R +9; W +5; P +5; Stealth +9; 25'; Conditions: none

Teja, who has been trying to learn Tien for the last few weeks tries out some of her poor language skills on the old woman.

"We are being very grateful for your kindnesses"

She gestures to the nearby shrine. "Which kami is being honored here? And how must be be showing our respectfulness?"

Horizon Hunters

CN male razortooth goblin ranger 1 | HP 17/18 | AC 18 | F +7 R +9 W +4 | Perc +6 | Stealth +7 | speed 25

Raznik only speaks Common and Goblin.

Raznik enjoys the walk through the forest. He carefully watches all the birds and other small creatures.

When they reach the village, he grins at the old woman. "Hello! This a nice village. My name Raznik. What's yours?" He looks around at the children roughly his own size. He waves at them.

Grand Archive

NG Male Half-Orc Bard 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 18 | F +3 R +6 W +5 | Perc +5 (low-light vision) | Stealth +6 | 25 ft. | Active Conditions: ---

During the trip

Xun spends the trip on playing instruments, as beside flute he also plays on his drum. He practice playing a lot during the days. Alternatively, he spends time taking care of his weapons, talking or looking at the trees and animals.

Every morning you can spot him leaving small offerings to the spirits, that he summons by playing on a drum and chanting in Mwangi. From time to time you might swear that you see some small animals or mist gathering as a result of that.

During supper, when agents gather around the fire Xun sometimes entertains them by weaving tales of heroes and their adventures playing on a drum. You are observing that whenever Xun describes fighting the rhythm of the drums is fast and you feel an urge to join the fight.

In the village

Xun is glad to find a settlement. A break from interacting with the same set of people would be a nice change.

Grand Lodge

Looking the old woman over, Anjo notices she is favoring a poorly bandaged leg. As for the friendly village it looks well cared for and inviting especially with the snow falling.

Returning the bow and smile, Jr warmly greets the old woman as he accepts their hospitality and offering a helping hand.

She smiles and pats JR on the shoulder, ”You very nice boy you make you mother proud!”

Joining JR and the Lady, Orla offers her to use her healing arts to take a look at the old woman’s injured leg.

The woman looks embarrassed ”I do not wish to trouble you good people, but if you insist. I fell a few days ago and cut my leg on a rock. We do not have a healer here and I bandaged it as best I could but is seems to be getting worst.”

Orla sits the old woman down and removes the old bandages to see to the red inflamed wound. The halfling Cleric quickly cleans and applies an ointment before expertly bandaging the wound. It looks like it will heal correctly, and you can see an immediately improvement her walk.

The old woman smiles fondly with a small tear in her eye ”Thank you my dear! It is as I ways say ‘Greet other with hospitality and they will return the gift’. Now about food and water, you must be tired after a day of travel.” Several of the other villagers are setting up tables under a covered pavilion of food and water for a shared meal. Buckets of water are brought out for the horses.

Teja thanks them for their kindness and ask how to honor the local kami.

The old woman smiles at Teja ”The local spirits like to be entertained with stories, song, or dance. Are you a storyteller by chance or play music? “ Glancing around at everyone she states ”We would all enjoy and benefit from the sharing of any performance.”

Raznik steps up and introduces himself to the old woman with a grin asking here name.

The woman grins back ”Greetings Raznik, I am called Wind Lu.” The village children giggle as they return the goblins’ wave.

Xun is relieved to get off the wagon and spend time with the locals.

(For the rest of this RP encounter feel free to roll your own skill checks if any.)

GM Screen:

JR diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17 one Success
Orla Medicine check 20. Second Success.

Vigilant Seal

43870-2001 | Human M (Garundi) Ranger 1 | ePerc +7 | tAC 18 | | HP 19/19| eF +6 eR +9 tW +5 | tAcro +6 tAthletics +4 tCraft +3 tDip +3 tScout L/Undgrn L +3 tNature +5 tStealth +6 tSurvival + 5 tThievery +6 Human Ranger 1

While not talented in the arts of entertainment, Anjo attempts to carve some wooden figures for the children

Craft: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

Envoy's Alliance

NG female halfling (twilight halfling) Cleric of Desna level 1| HP 15/15 | AC 16* | F +4 R +5 W +9 | Perc +7 (+9 for hidden foes and secret doors) | Stealth +2 | speed 25 | focus 1/1 | spells cantrip 4/5; 1st 2/2+4 (heal) | Active Conditions: Shield

Orla brings out her harmonica and attempts to embellish the inevitable performance of Xun the bard.

Aid Another, Performance: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

Sadly, the enthusiastic Desnan does not have as much skill in performance as others.

Grand Archive

NG female human rogue scholar HP 17/17; hero 3/3; AC 18; F +4; R +9; W +5; P +5; Stealth +9; 25'; Conditions: none

After the group is settled in, and as the others bring out musical instruments, Teja vanishes into a shelter for a few minutes with one of her packs. When she comes out she is dressed in a traditional Varisian dancer outfit.

To the rhythm of the drums she starts to show off her Varasian heritage in some of their more traditional dances.

perform: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

However the cold snow, and uncertain footing puts her performance off, and it is perhaps not how madam "Glitterwing" Ysandre would have her do them, but it is not a total embarrassment.

"Have you had many caravans through recently?" she asks Wind Lu at the end of it.

Grand Archive

NG Male Half-Orc Bard 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 18 | F +3 R +6 W +5 | Perc +5 (low-light vision) | Stealth +6 | 25 ft. | Active Conditions: ---

Xun is glad seeing such a turn of events. He takes his drum and a flute to the stage and begins to beat up the rhythm.

Perform: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

At the beginning, it does not go so well. He is tired and his joints are stiff from the travel.

I will use Hero Point to reroll it.
Perform: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

Here we go...

But soon he pulls himself together and he begins to play on the expected level.
As he does so he uses his music to call for loas.

Xun will spend his time playing at first to cast Guidance to Orla and Teja, others as well if they are within 30 ft. They can use one +1 to any skill check.

As he begins to incorporate other rhythms into his play a semi-translucent bird flies and sits on Orlas arm as she begins to play. From the back of the stage, a mist gathers surrounding Teja as she dances.

Xun makes his best to let Orla and Teja shine on the stage, knowing well that rhythm is to set the tone, create the background.

When they finish their performance Xun begins telling a story to entertain the villagers. The tale is about a hunter crossing jungle and dealing with spirits to find his way out.

After telling the story, Xun continues playing allowing others to talk and gather information.

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half Elf | Elemental Water Sorcerer 1 HP 16/16 | AC15 | F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +2 | Speed 25|Focus 1/1 | Spells 1 3/3 | Hero Points 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

Once they've fixed up the woman JR focuses on enjoying the evening and getting to know the small community, maybe they'll be the key to figuring out where the lost caravan is.

He offers up some helpful sound effects to the performance, not being a trained artist like some of the others. Aid Performance: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

Once the food, drink and entertainment wind down he does work to broach the topic of the lost caravan, as Teja has started. "This is a long and lonely road for a caravan. It must take months to travel the length. Have there been any obstacles lately? Bandits we should worry about? Or maybe angry spirits?"

Horizon Hunters

CN male razortooth goblin ranger 1 | HP 17/18 | AC 18 | F +7 R +9 W +4 | Perc +6 | Stealth +7 | speed 25

"Wind Lu. We be friends, ok?" Raznik grins at the old woman. "Raznik can hunt for food. Will spirits mind? Raznik can try to hunt to help the village!" He shows the woman his shortbow.

When the others begin playing music, Raznik sits with the children (who are roughly his size) and begins clapping loudly. "Yayy!"

If Wind Lu agrees to allow him to hunt, Raznik can try to provide food for the group.

Grand Lodge

As the meal is set, Anjo entertains the children by carving some wooden figures. They are rough and hastily done, but the children enjoy them.

Orla brings out her harmonica to play a tune or two to accompany Teja’s varisian dance. The children are amused as Teja slips in the snow.

Xun entertains the group after the shared meal with both his drum and flute he starts of with a weak performance, but then puts real effort into it his playing and produces a real inspiring concert that leaves everyone wanting more.

Smiling Wind Lu claps enthusiastically, ”I’m sure the spirits enjoyed your performance as much as we did master Xun!”

JR uses his magic to create helpful sound effects for Orla’s and Teja’s performance. Later after the meal he inquires about the road and obstacles that caravans run into along the way such as Bandits and angry spirits.

Taja questions Wind Lu about recent caravans.

Wind Lu looks thoughtful before answering, ”Generally as long as caravans stick to the road and are respectful to the spirits the forest protects travers from harm. Bandits find life bitter when woods are against them. Occasionally there are fearful monsters that can attack caravans, but I’ve not heard of any such occurrences in months. The trick is to stay on the Road. From time to time the forest may open a new path for the road and close off an older one much like a river changes how it flows. About a half dozen weeks ago there was a caravan that stopped overnight they were insistent on taking an old path despite my warnings to stay on the road. I believe the leaders were called Lin Po and Ti Lan.”

Raznik asks i the spirits mind him hunting some.

Wind Lu nods ”The spirits understand our need to forage as long as we take no more than we need and be respectful. I would suggest you not stray far from the road.”

Sharing in the Villagers’ hospital the group feels envigored Once per encounter you may reroll a single saving through once for the reminder of the adventure. Unfortunately the snow falling has increased and is imposing a -2 circumstance penalty to perception checks.

Suddenly a villager screams, and everyone sees the tiny blue sadistic humanoid creature sneaking into the village along the road. The villages bolt for their homes and buildings.

Orla and Anjo see two more creatures sneaking in from the other direction one is a tiny Green sadistic humanoid creature and the other is a small yellow pitiful looking humanoid with a big head.

Everyone who rolls higher than a 15 on their initiative (perception w/-2 snow by default) can go first before the monsters, otherwise it's after. Rannik can use survival or perception for initiative since he was starting to hunt.

GM Screen:

Xun playing music third success.
Xun used 1 hero point

blue stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
green stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
yellow stealth: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
orange stealth: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Average

Blue seen by everyone
Green & yellow are seen only by Orla & Anjo
Note - if perception is rolled for initiative it doesn't change what the PC observed. PC has to use a seek action. Vs DC to Observe Undetected.

Status: Snow fall -2 perception.
Blue tiny humanoid: Observed
Green tiny humanoid: Undetected; Observed DC15 by Orla & Anjo
Yellow tiny humanoid: Undetected; Observed DC15 by Orla & Anjo

Vigilant Seal

43870-2001 | Human M (Garundi) Ranger 1 | ePerc +7 | tAC 18 | | HP 19/19| eF +6 eR +9 tW +5 | tAcro +6 tAthletics +4 tCraft +3 tDip +3 tScout L/Undgrn L +3 tNature +5 tStealth +6 tSurvival + 5 tThievery +6 Human Ranger 1

Can Anjo use Hunt Target when he first sees Green to designate that as his target?

Perception (with -2): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

Anjo, upon spotting the creatures cries out to the others, "We have a threat on the right." This is not a Point Out action Anjo pulls out his bow. Designates the blue-looking (Yellow) creature as his target,

Recall Knowledge (Add +3 for Wisdom based skill): 1d20 ⇒ 8

And uses his Hunted Shot technique

Strike 1: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Strike 2: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

If he can use Hunt Target before Init, then he uses a Point out Action.

Investigator test:

Inv Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Grand Lodge

Anjo Aroh wrote:

Can Anjo use Hunt Target when he first sees Green to designate that as his target?

...

You can use the Hunt Prey action during you turn. I would only allow it to be used as an explorer action if you were tracking or hunting at the time.

Note Recall knowledge now takes and action too.

Vigilant Seal

43870-2001 | Human M (Garundi) Ranger 1 | ePerc +7 | tAC 18 | | HP 19/19| eF +6 eR +9 tW +5 | tAcro +6 tAthletics +4 tCraft +3 tDip +3 tScout L/Undgrn L +3 tNature +5 tStealth +6 tSurvival + 5 tThievery +6 Human Ranger 1

Recall is free with Monster Hunter/Hunt Target

Grand Archive

NG female human rogue scholar HP 17/17; hero 3/3; AC 18; F +4; R +9; W +5; P +5; Stealth +9; 25'; Conditions: none

init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Reacting quickly, the dancing scholar draws a long thin blade. "It would seem these bandits have bothered the villages before.." she summises as she strides forward, albeit not too far forward.

At the last moment she does a series of complex cuts and thrusts with her rapier, designed to intimidate as much as threaten the approaching figure.

Draw and stride action, followed by feint
feint: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18 Effective if their perception is +8 or less. If so they are flat footed against me until the end of my next round.

Vigilant Seal

43870-2001 | Human M (Garundi) Ranger 1 | ePerc +7 | tAC 18 | | HP 19/19| eF +6 eR +9 tW +5 | tAcro +6 tAthletics +4 tCraft +3 tDip +3 tScout L/Undgrn L +3 tNature +5 tStealth +6 tSurvival + 5 tThievery +6 Human Ranger 1

Ya know...I keep forgetting that Recall Knowledge is "Secret" so I don't get to roll it.

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half Elf | Elemental Water Sorcerer 1 HP 16/16 | AC15 | F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +2 | Speed 25|Focus 1/1 | Spells 1 3/3 | Hero Points 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

JR listens on as the elder mentions the caravan they've been searching for. Before he can follow up on it he nearly falls off his seat from the screams. "What's going on? Where?" He looks around, totally not prepared for an attack.

Perception, Snow: 1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (7) + 4 - 2 = 9

Envoy's Alliance

NG female halfling (twilight halfling) Cleric of Desna level 1| HP 15/15 | AC 16* | F +4 R +5 W +9 | Perc +7 (+9 for hidden foes and secret doors) | Stealth +2 | speed 25 | focus 1/1 | spells cantrip 4/5; 1st 2/2+4 (heal) | Active Conditions: Shield

"Those are just the very people we are looking for!" Orla remarks just as the villager screams. Quickly scanning the scene, Orla spies three enemies, two of whom are sneaking with no small skill up on the party.

"We have two more sneaky fiends off here to the right!" the cleric calls out.

Perception, Snow: 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (18) + 7 - 2 = 23

Orla begins praying aloud to Desna, her voice somehow amplified.

"Oh hear me, Mother of Stars and patron of travellers! Bless these brave souls who vie to protect the innocent and weary. Shield their bodies from the harsh cruelties of depravity and wickedness! In Desna's name!"

Action Economy: two actions to cast Bless; one action to cast Shield. Orla's AC is now 16 and she has the 'Shield Block' reaction available to her.

Horizon Hunters

CN male razortooth goblin ranger 1 | HP 17/18 | AC 18 | F +7 R +9 W +4 | Perc +6 | Stealth +7 | speed 25

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

Raznik crouches down, looking at a track that might be from a rabbit. The commotion makes him look up. He frowns at the yelling.

Grand Archive

NG Male Half-Orc Bard 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 18 | F +3 R +6 W +5 | Perc +5 (low-light vision) | Stealth +6 | 25 ft. | Active Conditions: ---

Perception, snow: 1d20 + 5 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 5 - 2 = 15

15 beats DC 15 right?

Xun listens to the old lady, happy that luck shined on them. The ghosts seem happy now which makes him calmer, even that he is cold out in the open, he is used to higher temperatures than that. Just as he was drinking some hot beverage he hears the commotion. He observes for a moment the development of the situation.

He stands up and reaches for his ... drum.

Immediately he begins to play, the beats are similar to those that he used while telling the stories. You feel motivated to do heroic deeds

Action economy:
1st action: grab a drum
2nd action: move
3rd action: Inspire courage. All allies within 60ft get +1 to attack rolls, +1 to damage and +1 to fear effects for 1 round[/url]

Grand Lodge

(Friday hero point award goes to Xun for his entertaining music performance during the meal!)

Anjo draws his bow as he zeros in on his Fey Jinkins target firing two arrows the first hits the creature causing it to yep and curse in an unknown language.

Recall:
Green is a Tiny Fey Gremlin - Jinkins they are Weak to cold iron and have sneak attack. Thanks for reminding me, I’m still getting using secret rolls too.

investigator:
success

Teja draws her sword as she moves towards the blue humanoid. She tries to feints with her rapier but is not within melee reach.

Orla calls out the two fiends on the right as she cast bless and shield

Xun grabs his drum as he moves forward and begins an inspiring battle beat.

The tiny blue humanoid moves forward taking a swipe at Teja but misses.

The tiny green humanoid gives up on stealth to rush up and swing at Anjo, fortunately for Anjo, he misses.

The small yellow creature climbs the fence for cover as he moves forward and casts magic.

A small creature can be heard by everyone sneaking up on the left.

GM rolls:

Anjo Recall Knowledge: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

Blue vs Teja
shortsword: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15 to hit
piercing damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4

Gren vs Anjo
shortsword: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10 to hit
piercing damage: 1d4 ⇒ 2

Orange Stealth: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

Blue, Green, & Yellow are seen by everyone. Orange has been detected by everyone

Status: Bold my act (Bless 5” on Orla +1 status to attack rolls 10r, Xun - Inspire Courage +1 tohit, dam, & fear 1r)
Anjo: (hunt target - Green)
Teja:
Orla:
Xun:
Junior:
Raznik:

Blue tiny humanoid:
Green tiny humanoid: +5 dam;
Yellow small humanoid:
Orange Small Humanoid:

Everyone is up!

Grand Archive

NG Male Half-Orc Bard 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 18 | F +3 R +6 W +5 | Perc +5 (low-light vision) | Stealth +6 | 25 ft. | Active Conditions: ---

Thanks for the Hero Point! Appreciated

Xun tried to keep all the enemies in his sight, but it proved to be too hard. They have the number advantage, but they are the ones surrounded. Xun keeps playing, he knows how big of an impact have morale on the fight. He tries to excel at it and make the music last longer.

Performance, DC15: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

But the frozen hands go in the way. The music is still inspiring and keeps everyone's spirit up.

Then he adds additional beat, with spirits support he calls for help. In the nearest proximity of Xun a small mist is gathering covering bearly his ankles. A stone flies towards the closest enemy.

Telekinetic projectile@blue, +1 bard: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 7 + 1 = 26
Damage, bludgeoning, +1 bard: 1d6 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 1 = 10

Action economy:
1st action: Inspire Courage and attempting Lingering Composition to make inspire last longer for 1 focus point. The highest level PC is 1 => DC15. Failure means that linger composition does nothing and does not cost me a focus point.
2nd & 3d Action: Casting Telekinetic Projectile

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
43870-2001 | Human M (Garundi) Ranger 1 | ePerc +7 | tAC 18 | | HP 19/19| eF +6 eR +9 tW +5 | tAcro +6 tAthletics +4 tCraft +3 tDip +3 tScout L/Undgrn L +3 tNature +5 tStealth +6 tSurvival + 5 tThievery +6 Human Ranger 1

As an FYI, I think Inspire and Bless do not stack as both are "Status" bonuses

"These creatures are Fey, use cold iron if you have it and do not let them flank you.

I actually was targeting "yellow" in my original attack, but we can just go with green
Anjo uses his superior mobility to put some distance between he and his prey, where upon he turns and fires three more arrows.

2nd Action
Hunted Shot 1+ Inspire: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Damage+STR+Inspire: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Hunted Shot 2 + Inspire: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Damage+STR+Inspire: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

whoa! double 20s!
Deadly Bonus for 1&2: 2d10 ⇒ (2, 10) = 12

So that's 26 points total and any Resistance is applied once

3rd Action
I'm going to assume that kills it and switch my Hunted Target to Yellow and trigger another Recall Knowledge. If jinkin is not dead, I'll shoot it again at -6, feel free to roll.

Grand Archive

NG Male Half-Orc Bard 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 18 | F +3 R +6 W +5 | Perc +5 (low-light vision) | Stealth +6 | 25 ft. | Active Conditions: ---

@Anjo I think you missed the +1 to damage from Inspire. Your str is +2. Yeah and two 20's wow.

1 to 50 of 243 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PFS2 / GMGlyn] 1-06 Lost on The Spirit Road - Table one All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.