GM XaveTheNerd's Murder's Mark (Inactive)

Game Master X Hums

Slides


1 to 50 of 442 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

Emerald Spire - Slides | Extinction Curse - Slides | Blooming Catastrophe - Slides

Welcome to the Umbra Carnival!


Emerald Spire - Slides | Extinction Curse - Slides | Blooming Catastrophe - Slides

You're each individually found by a grey skinned individual in fine blue robes while within the Grand Lodge one windy morning. She explains tursley that a newly appointed Venture-Captain wishes to speak with each of you promptly. She says no more words as she walks away.

"You've all been working hard," says a tall, finely dressed Taldan male with a viola on his hip. You don't recognize this man, but he seems to be the new Venture-Captain the individual from earlier told you about. "Some of you have become official Pathfinders, but that doesn't change the amount of work you've all been putting into this! To reward your efforts, we'll be sending you all out to the Umbra Carnival. We've got tickets for each of you to attend while it's stopped outside the small town of Ilsurian, an independent town within Varisia. As the town is just north of Lake Syrantula, we've organized a boat that will bring you to Korvosa, at which point you'll join a caravan headed north. You should arrive the night before the carnival is to begin. Please, take this time to eschew any prejudices you have against the people of the world, and explore. After all, it's important for Pathfinders to have a sense of duty to all peoples, not just our own. So go, experience the world, and return when you feel you've had enough."

With that, the man places six pieces of parchment onto the table in the room and strolls out proudly, not allowing for questions (or ignoring them if they're asked).

You all now sit alone in a briefing room within the Grand Lodge, a carnival in your shared futures.

The Concordance

Male Samsaran M Samsaran Magus (Mindblade)1st, Occultist (Battlehost)1st [HP 15/15, AC 21 /ff 19 /t 13, Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +4, Init +2, Per +0, Spd 30' (20’ in armor)

A slender, fit man with pale blue skin, Shenzen Ni Sokune is of only average height but seems taller. This is no doubt partially because he always has his chin and sparkling blue eyes up in an imperious stance. His hair and beard are both long and thick but carefully groomed and in complex braids.

Though he is wearing a breastplate, his only armaments are a dagger at his hip and a bow on his back.

His arms are crossed over his chest, his chin held high. "It is my duty and honor to serve the Pathfinders on this turn of my wheel. While it is most important to do good and do well, it is also important to take time to reflect and explore. Learning about other peoples can only help me perform my duties better."

Grand Lodge

M Skinwalker Alchemist (Beastmorph) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 17/11/16 | F+4 R+3 W+1 | Perc +7 Low-light | Init +1 | Active Conditions: STR Mutagen

Looking at Barrabas you'd think he a human. If you watch long enough you notice his features change occasionally, a nose to a snout, legs change shape, teeth grow to husks. Most of the chance is subtle and small but has potential for more permanence. He is mostly clad in a simple chain shirt and a small bag for a few items.

Barrabas rummages around his bag for a paper and something to mark with. Explore, sure. But is the mission to go have fun at a carnival?

Barrabas's legs thicken and hooves grow from his feet.
Change Shape: Hooves and +10 speed.

Liberty's Edge

Wulthur the Bold | Male CG Medium Human Fighter 2 | HP 10/22 | AC 18, T 13, FF 15 | CMD 18| F +4 R +2 W +3; | Init +4 | Perception +1, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 20ft (in armor) | Active Conditions: None.
Skills:
Climb +6 *+3 in armor), Knowledge (dungeoneering) +6, Profession (farmer) +4, Swim +6*+3 in armor)

Wulthur nods to the fellow Pathfinders in his presence. "I, for one, welcome an opportunity to enjoy a more leisurely pursuit for a change." The man's prematurely white hair, scarred face, and calloused hands suggest that he is well-acquainted with more dangerous pursuits.

The warrior and gentleman farmer extends one of his thick, well-worn hands in greeting. "I do not believe that we have had the pleasure of having previously met. I am Wulthur Jorbrinder. When the Society calls, I do my best to answer."

The Concordance

Male Samsaran M Samsaran Magus (Mindblade)1st, Occultist (Battlehost)1st [HP 15/15, AC 21 /ff 19 /t 13, Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +4, Init +2, Per +0, Spd 30' (20’ in armor)

"I am Shenzen Ni Sokune, the Ever Rising Spirit," the Samsaran replies, bowing slightly with his hands pressed together before him before shaking the other man's calloused hand.

Though his grip is firm, Wulthur may question his skill...his own hand does not have the callouses one would expect from someone who has spent time training in wielding weapons.

Dark Archive

Male N Half-Elf Arcanist (Occultist) 1 | HP 7/7 | AC:15 T:13 FF:12 | CMD 11 | F+0 R+3 W+2 | Init +3 | Perc +4 SM+2, Low-Light Vision | 1st: 5/5 | Arcane Reservoir 3/3 | Conditions: None

”A reward for jobs yet undone. A most curious first assignment.” Joining the group was a half-elf of many years, his expression guarded by a pair of opaque black sunglasses as he introduces himself. ”I am Herod, I pray you will help me survive this dangerous maiden expedition.”

Grand Lodge

M Skinwalker Alchemist (Beastmorph) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 17/11/16 | F+4 R+3 W+1 | Perc +7 Low-light | Init +1 | Active Conditions: STR Mutagen

Barrabas. Pleasure to make your acquaintance. He gives a short bow.

Grand Lodge

N Grippli Shaman 3 | HP 21/21 | AC 18 T 14 FF 15 | CMB -1, CMD 12 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +8 | Init: +7 | Perc: +13, SM: +13, Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 3/3 2nd 2/2 | Spirit Magic 1st 1/1 2nd 1/1 | Teamwork 3/3 | Active conditions: None

”Goodness, the anticipation in the air is so thick you can almost taste it!”

A wizened form stands behind the other Pathfinders, leaning heavily on a walking stick with hands covered in damp, molted purple and brown skin. Only the tip of an amphibious nose and mouth protrude past a heavy hood of tanned leather as the figure shuffles forward, pausing only a moment to snag one of the pieces of parchment with a long pink tongue and place it in a waiting hand. ”I have never been to one of these carnivals, but I’ve heard there are delicious things found only within their confines. Ears of elephants, cobbed corns, fey floss - oh, my stomach’s rumbling just thinking about it!”

Silver Crusade

male Shackleborn Tiefling Paladin 2
Spoiler:
|AC 19, T 10, FF 19|HP: 20/20|F +9, R +4, W +5|Init 0, Perc -2|CMB +4 CMD 14|5/5 Lay on Hands, 1/1 Smite Evil, 1/1 web

"'A different perspective can bring both fulfillment and pain'," Says a gentle yet steely voice, as though reciting from memory. "I suppose it is wise of the Society to remind us of the more...frivolous...side of life, lest we allow death and pain to assume primacy in our hearts."

The voice belongs to the last to arrive: At first glance a Tian Human, such a mundane impression flies straight out the window as he approaches closer, and you can plainly see his glowing red eyes, the metallic spikes jutting out from his skin in eldritch patterns...and most disquieting of all, the length of chain snaking across his dark, sturdy clothing and armor, and about his fearsome array of weapons, as though it were alive.

He introduces himself with a deep bow.

"Allow me to introduce myself: I am Ao Shoku, sacred servant to Lord Tsukiyo," He declares as he presents, in startling contrast to his unholy appearance, a beautiful silver icon in the shape of a crescent moon and inlaid with jade.

Knowledge (Religion) DC 19, characters from Tian Xia gain a +2 bonus:
His cryptic first statement makes more sense, now; it is a small excerpt from the Code of Tsukiyo, sacred creed of the Moon Prince's Paladins.


Emerald Spire - Slides | Extinction Curse - Slides | Blooming Catastrophe - Slides

The journey to Ilsurian is uneventful, aside from the stray rabid dog easily dispatched by the caravan's guards. The day you all arrive coincides with the day the carnival arrives, and as you arrive from the southeast path into town, the carnival rolls in from the west with colorful carts, eccentric people, and a host of attractions.

The town is already abuzz with information of the circus: a contingent of carnival folk dressed in all manner of colors scatter posters for the carnival as you arrive. A circus clown quickly puts the final nail into the posting board outside your inn for the week. As you settle yourselves in your 3 shared rooms, the townsfolk begin meandering over towards the carnival. Large tents have begun to go up about the premises, but a rather protective circus gnome appears to be spouting enough nonsense to keep any wandering eyes from entering the carnival grounds. With nothing left to do for the evening, you all take your leave and "sleep" the night away. Some of you don't have to sleep, so, uhh, meditate!

The following day, you're awoken to the sounds of loud music and cheers. As you quickly rush outside, you're greeted by colorful confetti flying through the air. A firework goes off a few feet above the inn, rattling the dishes inside. Loud, finely rehearsed music follows a multitude of carnies through the street with drums emphasizing the off-beats. Some carnies dance, some walk high on stilts almost 10 feet in the air, and others quickly hand out fresh sweets and colorful beads to onlookers. Loud voices echo from the parade saying "...Thrills chills and delights for all ages...", "...your fortune told from the lovely All-Seeing Hajeck, her Harrow Cards...", "...travelling zoo complete with a baby dragon...", and "...the mysterious Jherizhana, a sphynx from the lands of...". As one barker passes, another becomes prevalent. Without following the parade, it's difficult to hear any of the full barks.

The parade turns through town, back towards the west before leading any curious onlookers into the carnival's grounds. One line offers tickets for a few copper pieces, the other line accepts the tickets.

The curtain is drawn. The story is ready to go. Pathfinders: what do you do?

Grand Lodge

M Skinwalker Alchemist (Beastmorph) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 17/11/16 | F+4 R+3 W+1 | Perc +7 Low-light | Init +1 | Active Conditions: STR Mutagen

Barrabas marvels at the show, This is quite the treat. We should get some tickets. Barrabas gets in line for some tickets.

Liberty's Edge

Wulthur the Bold | Male CG Medium Human Fighter 2 | HP 10/22 | AC 18, T 13, FF 15 | CMD 18| F +4 R +2 W +3; | Init +4 | Perception +1, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 20ft (in armor) | Active Conditions: None.
Skills:
Climb +6 *+3 in armor), Knowledge (dungeoneering) +6, Profession (farmer) +4, Swim +6*+3 in armor)

"Quite the festivities, I should say." notes Wulthur. "The confetti almost resembles bombs, bursting in the air. Reminds me a bit of my home in Andoran."

The white-haired warrior dons his regular clothing, grabs a few coppers, and heads to buy some tickets and take in the sights.

The Concordance

Male Samsaran M Samsaran Magus (Mindblade)1st, Occultist (Battlehost)1st [HP 15/15, AC 21 /ff 19 /t 13, Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +4, Init +2, Per +0, Spd 30' (20’ in armor)

Shenzen both meditates AND sleeps. He is a fairly good roommate though he insists on sleeping on the floor and is up early doing tai chi and sipping chai tea.

He hurries out with everyone else, as drawn in by spectacle as anyone. He makes a grab for a sweet as it flies through the air but then hands the waxpapered flavored sugar to a pouting little boy standing at his feet.

Everything they say interests Shenzen so he is quick to fall in line behind the parade as it heads back to the carnival and just as quick to get into line to buy a ticket.

Dark Archive

Male N Half-Elf Arcanist (Occultist) 1 | HP 7/7 | AC:15 T:13 FF:12 | CMD 11 | F+0 R+3 W+2 | Init +3 | Perc +4 SM+2, Low-Light Vision | 1st: 5/5 | Arcane Reservoir 3/3 | Conditions: None

Spell Preparation:
0 Level Spells: Detect Magic, Read Magic, Ghost Sound, Prestidigitation
1st Level Spells: Vanish, Silent Image

Herod's expression is stern as he steps into the street, observing the parade with a frown. He brings his hands in front of himself and begins forming symbols with his fingers while muttering arcane chants, and in a sudden flash of light the confetti around him begins swirling through the air, forming itself into the shape of a great dragon before flying high into the air and exploding into a shower of confetti. Casting Prestidigitation. A small smile spreads across Herod's face at the laughter of onlookers, and he joins the rest of the group in purchasing a ticket for the carnival.

Silver Crusade

male Shackleborn Tiefling Paladin 2
Spoiler:
|AC 19, T 10, FF 19|HP: 20/20|F +9, R +4, W +5|Init 0, Perc -2|CMB +4 CMD 14|5/5 Lay on Hands, 1/1 Smite Evil, 1/1 web

Ao Shoku is also a good roommate, impeccably tidy and keeping to his corner of the room; he spends much of the night in study of his holy scrolls, but also finds time to entertain with his fine Tien-style flute.

At the parade, he keeps to the outskirts and is content to watch; while he does not make an effort to catch any sweets or beads, several of them manage to 'catch' in his spikes just the same. That eerie little chain of his makes a few attempts to pick a few candies out and feed them to him, a gesture he initially resists but eventually relents to when the damned thing won't give up.


Emerald Spire - Slides | Extinction Curse - Slides | Blooming Catastrophe - Slides

After a few copper pieces (don't worry about marking it), the Pathfinders find their way into the carnival. Though the area is remarkably dusty, the place smells of various fried sweetbreads, smoking meat, and warm sugary drink. Faint fiddle music echoes through the grounds from a central tent lifting the spirits of those dancing in the vicinity. Several colorful carnival clowns lounge about on the various stools placed aside attractions, and the air has an overall hum of excitement and anticipation.

A map of the carnival has appeared on the slides. Please indicate where you'd like to go, the places of at least moderate importance are labeled.

The Concordance

Male Samsaran M Samsaran Magus (Mindblade)1st, Occultist (Battlehost)1st [HP 15/15, AC 21 /ff 19 /t 13, Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +4, Init +2, Per +0, Spd 30' (20’ in armor)

Shenzen was most curious about getting his fortune told as he entered the carnival. But, as he wandered looking for the fortune teller's booth, he found a big pool of water. That was far more interesting than anything else he'd seen along the way.

He moves over to where the pool is to see what this particular spectacle is going to be. He looks around at the crowds and the workers, fascinated by both but eager to see a show particularly designed to fascinate him.

Shenzen is going over to area 3.

Silver Crusade

male Shackleborn Tiefling Paladin 2
Spoiler:
|AC 19, T 10, FF 19|HP: 20/20|F +9, R +4, W +5|Init 0, Perc -2|CMB +4 CMD 14|5/5 Lay on Hands, 1/1 Smite Evil, 1/1 web

Ao is drawn to the sacred darkness and friendly madness that likely awaits underneath the Big-Top (Area 2).

Grand Lodge

M Skinwalker Alchemist (Beastmorph) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 17/11/16 | F+4 R+3 W+1 | Perc +7 Low-light | Init +1 | Active Conditions: STR Mutagen

Barrabas's body changes more as a snout emerges and his legs thicken. He looks around and heads over to where the smells are best. He's a bit hungry. Anyone fancy a snack?

Grand Lodge

N Grippli Shaman 3 | HP 21/21 | AC 18 T 14 FF 15 | CMB -1, CMD 12 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +8 | Init: +7 | Perc: +13, SM: +13, Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 3/3 2nd 2/2 | Spirit Magic 1st 1/1 2nd 1/1 | Teamwork 3/3 | Active conditions: None

"I like the way you think!" the Grandfrogger responds, rubbing two clammy hands together eagerly before gesturing at the stalls and tables in front of the large tent. "Perhaps we can start our search over there?"

Area 7!

Liberty's Edge

Wulthur the Bold | Male CG Medium Human Fighter 2 | HP 10/22 | AC 18, T 13, FF 15 | CMD 18| F +4 R +2 W +3; | Init +4 | Perception +1, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 20ft (in armor) | Active Conditions: None.
Skills:
Climb +6 *+3 in armor), Knowledge (dungeoneering) +6, Profession (farmer) +4, Swim +6*+3 in armor)

"As good a suggestion as any, my amphibious friend." Wulthur replies with a smile. "I am most interested in seeing what sort of fare this carnival has to offer."

To Area 7

Dark Archive

Male N Half-Elf Arcanist (Occultist) 1 | HP 7/7 | AC:15 T:13 FF:12 | CMD 11 | F+0 R+3 W+2 | Init +3 | Perc +4 SM+2, Low-Light Vision | 1st: 5/5 | Arcane Reservoir 3/3 | Conditions: None

Herod listens to his allies plans before breaking off to explore on his own without even a goodbye, shuffling his way into a crowd of people making their way towards a red and white tent.

Area 6

Grand Lodge

M Skinwalker Alchemist (Beastmorph) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 17/11/16 | F+4 R+3 W+1 | Perc +7 Low-light | Init +1 | Active Conditions: STR Mutagen

3rd vote for 7.


Emerald Spire - Slides | Extinction Curse - Slides | Blooming Catastrophe - Slides

Wulthur, Grandfrogger, and Barrabas to 7. Herod to 6. Ao to 2. Shenzen to 3.

In order of number:

Ao in the Big Top
Ao finds the large tent to have only one entrance, luckily from the main open area he's entering from. A small standee says "Current Showing: Untak and The Poisonous Snake", with a smaller agenda next to it. Below, standing proudly for all to see is a poster featuring a perfectly censored Sphinx with a fancy script "Jherizhana" at the top. The bottom features "The ferocious performing sphinx only barely held under the ringmaster's magical control." It also features a set of showtimes in the evening.

As Ao enters the area, he finds himself surrounded by a small crowd in the standing room area. For the price of a few copper, he makes it up into the bleachers, and carefully watches a well rehearsed performance between a tan Varisian man and a large constrictor snake. The crowd oohs and ahhs as the snake gets dangerously close to chomping down on the man before he deftly jumps out of the way. The performance continues for over 20 minutes.

Shenzen in the Midway
A path runs east here from the midway toward the traveling zoo. To the south are booths with vabilion tent tops that provide shade for the games of skill and chance played beneath. Behind them are circus wagons, some clearly only for transportation and equipment, while others are attractions and portable shops for merchants. to the north is a gigantic tent erected on tall poles with a strange curtain pulled shut across its front.

The area here smells of animals, due to the travelling zoo Shenzen passes on his right. He spots the small pool of water, filled with small fish, and darts past his original reason for coming. Shouts echo out from various stalls "Prove your strength! Make this lion ROAR!", "Prove your perception with The Lovely Madame Masque's show of trickery and woe!", and "Be careful visitors. The Sphinx Jerizhana sleeps within a cart right here. Don't be too loud or you could wake her!".

OOC talk: The Midway is the area the adventure starts in. Good job Shenzen!

Herod in The Sideshow
Herod finds himself waiting in a long line, posters all around advertise "See the mouse as large as a gnome", "A woman with more hair than an ape", "The mystical Jericho and his stomach of steel", "A tamed orc from afar", "The Fire Giant", "a Choker", and most importantly, scattered everywhere among the small posters, "The elusive Saggy Man, a classic Varisian Cryptid kept captive in his cage". Admission is 1 sp.

The Rest in the Winding Market
This snaggled, disorganized knot of tents and walkways are filled with various smells (that aren't getting along), sounds (that also aren't getting along), and sights (that literally assault your eyes). Anything you could want from a carnival can be purchased here, from charicatures to foodstuffs to custom performances. Performers, diviners, merchants, and prostitutes that travel with the circus are given space here, and while the Winding Market isn't an official part of the carnival, the carnival makes a substantial amount of money from the almost egregious taxes taken of the Market.

Whew. Now what?

Grand Lodge

M Skinwalker Alchemist (Beastmorph) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 17/11/16 | F+4 R+3 W+1 | Perc +7 Low-light | Init +1 | Active Conditions: STR Mutagen

Barrabas makes his way to the food vendors to look over their wares. Turkey leg, where's that turkey leg?

The Concordance

Male Samsaran M Samsaran Magus (Mindblade)1st, Occultist (Battlehost)1st [HP 15/15, AC 21 /ff 19 /t 13, Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +4, Init +2, Per +0, Spd 30' (20’ in armor)

Although it is not in the least bit true, Shenzen considers himself quite perceptive. He goes to visit Madame Masque first, a supercilious look on his face as he plays her game.

Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (8) + 0 = 8

He gapes when he utterly fails at the task and mutters about it being rigged.

But he's quite strong! So he moves on to the test of strength.

Strength Test: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

And does much better. He preens for only a moment though before remembering the transitory nature of life and glory and putting on a much more somber air.

No idea if dice rolls are allowed or have any effect but it helps me figure out what he does, at least.

If nothing else interesting has happened and his fellows have not joined him, he wanders to the Sphinx's enclosure.

The Concordance

Male Samsaran M Samsaran Magus (Mindblade)1st, Occultist (Battlehost)1st [HP 15/15, AC 21 /ff 19 /t 13, Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +4, Init +2, Per +0, Spd 30' (20’ in armor)

The Sphinx is not very interesting...or at least the tarp covering her cage is not. Shenzen stands for a minute or so waiting for something to happen but then grows bored.

The big top is tempting but his stomach is rumbling and he has a taste for something fried so he wanders to the market and buys something sizzling hot from the grease.

He wonders if it really is dog wrapped inside that corn coating.

He nods to his fellow Pathfinders as he joins them.

"There are some entertaining things in the Midway," he reports. "But stay away from Madame Masque. Her show is clearly a hoax."


Emerald Spire - Slides | Extinction Curse - Slides | Blooming Catastrophe - Slides

Masque's show is actually quite interesting, and I've got a full description of how it works when/if the whole party wishes to participate! Shenzen most certainly failed, though!

The Pathfinders gather up again with their findings before deciding where to move next.

Area 3 has the most to do for a group of adventurers, everything else appears to be "come look at this". The Midway has tests of skill.

Where to?

Grand Lodge

M Skinwalker Alchemist (Beastmorph) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 17/11/16 | F+4 R+3 W+1 | Perc +7 Low-light | Init +1 | Active Conditions: STR Mutagen

Barrabas is content to have found his turkey leg but the notion of a ?corned dog? sounds pretty interesting. Let's two-hand some food and go play some games.

Liberty's Edge

Wulthur the Bold | Male CG Medium Human Fighter 2 | HP 10/22 | AC 18, T 13, FF 15 | CMD 18| F +4 R +2 W +3; | Init +4 | Perception +1, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 20ft (in armor) | Active Conditions: None.
Skills:
Climb +6 *+3 in armor), Knowledge (dungeoneering) +6, Profession (farmer) +4, Swim +6*+3 in armor)
Barrabas wrote:
Barrabas is content to have found his turkey leg but the notion of a ?corned dog? sounds pretty interesting. Let's two-hand some food and go play some games.

"A fine idea." chimes Wulthur. "Perhaps, we could even engaged in a little friendly competition?"

Grand Lodge

M Skinwalker Alchemist (Beastmorph) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 17/11/16 | F+4 R+3 W+1 | Perc +7 Low-light | Init +1 | Active Conditions: STR Mutagen
Wulthur the Bold wrote:
Barrabas wrote:
Barrabas is content to have found his turkey leg but the notion of a ?corned dog? sounds pretty interesting. Let's two-hand some food and go play some games.
"A fine idea." chimes Wulthur. "Perhaps, we could even engaged in a little friendly competition?"

HaHA, as you like. Time for some fun!


Emerald Spire - Slides | Extinction Curse - Slides | Blooming Catastrophe - Slides

The Pathfinders proceed, led by Shenzen, to the Midway. He points out the "King of the Carnival competition", showing off his paper crown he won for striking so hard with is mallet that the whole carnival could hear. He also points out Madame Masque's show, explaining that the goal is to notice a similarity between two outfits. He didn't notice anything when he tried himself, but it was fun nonetheless. When Shenzen tried to see the Sphinx, he was told that Jherizhana wasn't taking any visitors at this time since she needed her beauty sleep. It seems that now, though, there's a line, and a small trickle of people are entering the area. There also appears to be a Harrow Card reader set up nearby, along with a few other tests of skill and luck including a moving archery rig, some kind of mechanical dart-based game, and a few tables of dice games.

Some friendly competition never hurts! What's the plan?

The Concordance

Male Samsaran M Samsaran Magus (Mindblade)1st, Occultist (Battlehost)1st [HP 15/15, AC 21 /ff 19 /t 13, Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +4, Init +2, Per +0, Spd 30' (20’ in armor)

Shenzen is tempted to actually see the sphinx but even a man who knows that he's literally got all of eternity ahead of him feels the tension of spending each life valuably. Waiting in line does not fit that goal so he decides to try something else while waiting.

He's also very curious about his future for the same reason. He has lots of lives ahead of him and he's interested in learning about them, if possible.

To that end, he heads to the Harrow Reader.

Grand Lodge

M Skinwalker Alchemist (Beastmorph) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 17/11/16 | F+4 R+3 W+1 | Perc +7 Low-light | Init +1 | Active Conditions: STR Mutagen

Barrabas will check out the Madame Masque show.

Liberty's Edge

Wulthur the Bold | Male CG Medium Human Fighter 2 | HP 10/22 | AC 18, T 13, FF 15 | CMD 18| F +4 R +2 W +3; | Init +4 | Perception +1, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 20ft (in armor) | Active Conditions: None.
Skills:
Climb +6 *+3 in armor), Knowledge (dungeoneering) +6, Profession (farmer) +4, Swim +6*+3 in armor)

Wulthur tries to steer Barrabas towards the mallet, but then seeing the skinwalker's interest in the Madame Masque show, follows him there.

"I suspect that I will spot the similarity sooner." he boasts in the spirit of competition.
Perception?: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

Grand Lodge

M Skinwalker Alchemist (Beastmorph) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 17/11/16 | F+4 R+3 W+1 | Perc +7 Low-light | Init +1 | Active Conditions: STR Mutagen

Barrabas peers at the images.

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

Silver Crusade

male Shackleborn Tiefling Paladin 2
Spoiler:
|AC 19, T 10, FF 19|HP: 20/20|F +9, R +4, W +5|Init 0, Perc -2|CMB +4 CMD 14|5/5 Lay on Hands, 1/1 Smite Evil, 1/1 web

Watching a man wrestle his python in the dark soon loses Ao's interest, so he exits the Big-Top, buys a pear pie, and spots his comrades at the Midway.

Ever one for self-betterment, he decides he'll try his skill with either the archery rig or mechanical-dart game (pending further investigation of both).


Emerald Spire - Slides | Extinction Curse - Slides | Blooming Catastrophe - Slides

With the party reassembled, the group heads first, via vote, to Madame Masque's show. Three raised runways meet at a point like an arrow beneath a brightly colored pavilion tent. Where the runways meet sits a tall, rectangular box covered in mirrors. Off to one side is a raised speaker's podium. Posters on makeshift signs depict an attractive woman in a provocative gown and silver mask, with the words "The Lovely Madame Masque" in bold print.

Shenzen explains the show: The self-proclaimed Madame Masque struts down the center runway and poses for 1 minute, flirting silently with the crowd. She then saunters to the mirrored cabinet, steps inside, and closes it behind her. After a flourish from the barker, the cabinet is opened to reveal three different Madame Masques. Each figure walks down a different runway, while four guards prevent anyone from grasping at them. Each Madame Masque wears an entirely different costume from the original, but one wears a single piece of jewelry, item of clothing, or flower only the original wore. The crowd has 1 minute to call out the matching item, and the first to correctly guess wins--or the players run out of time and the house keeps the pot.

As the show begins, Madame Masque is dressed in a provocative Varisian gown, with a fox mask across her face. She's adorned in tens of ribbons, rings, and necklaces. She blows kisses to the audience as cat-calls ring out. With a quick turn, she heads back to the chamber, climbs inside, and the barker announces the rules. With a flash, the chamber falls and three Masques walk out, one dressed in a flowery sundress, another dressed in pirate garb, and the last covered head to toe in a poofy lace dress. As they begins walking down the runway, Barrabas ISNTANTLY calls out "The pirate's left earring is the same." Not even allowing the Masques to take position. And like that, the game is over. Cheers, jeers, and boos ring out from the crowd as the original Madame Masque walks on stage with a scarf around her neck. She quickly makes her way to the end of the runway, where Madame Masque blows the alchemist a kiss before throwing her scarf. The barker declares him the winner, walking over to him and handing him half of the betting pot, a whole silver piece! Barrabas is also told the scarf is his, and should be warn throughout the carnival to show his observational prowess.

Taking votes for where to go next!

Liberty's Edge

Wulthur the Bold | Male CG Medium Human Fighter 2 | HP 10/22 | AC 18, T 13, FF 15 | CMD 18| F +4 R +2 W +3; | Init +4 | Perception +1, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 20ft (in armor) | Active Conditions: None.
Skills:
Climb +6 *+3 in armor), Knowledge (dungeoneering) +6, Profession (farmer) +4, Swim +6*+3 in armor)

"Not a bad showing, Barrabas, though the game was perhaps more one of luck than skill."says Wulthur before suggesting, "Shall we see who can take home the most paper crowns?"

The Concordance

Male Samsaran M Samsaran Magus (Mindblade)1st, Occultist (Battlehost)1st [HP 15/15, AC 21 /ff 19 /t 13, Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +4, Init +2, Per +0, Spd 30' (20’ in armor)

Shenzen scowls at Barrabas, not at all sure how he could have had superior skills at perception.

"Paper crowns are of no more or less truly long term value than any others," he comments to Wulthur's suggestion. And not exactly answering the question.

He directs his path toward the Harrow Card reader, again, though likely only goes a few steps before falling in line with his fellow agents to head for the games.

Grand Lodge

M Skinwalker Alchemist (Beastmorph) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 17/11/16 | F+4 R+3 W+1 | Perc +7 Low-light | Init +1 | Active Conditions: STR Mutagen

I'm interested in more scarves. He smiles at Wulthur.

Area 4?

Liberty's Edge

Wulthur the Bold | Male CG Medium Human Fighter 2 | HP 10/22 | AC 18, T 13, FF 15 | CMD 18| F +4 R +2 W +3; | Init +4 | Perception +1, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 20ft (in armor) | Active Conditions: None.
Skills:
Climb +6 *+3 in armor), Knowledge (dungeoneering) +6, Profession (farmer) +4, Swim +6*+3 in armor)

"You realize that you are outmatched then?" Golthwur Wulthur replies. "Very well, I'll follow."

Grand Lodge

M Skinwalker Alchemist (Beastmorph) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 17/11/16 | F+4 R+3 W+1 | Perc +7 Low-light | Init +1 | Active Conditions: STR Mutagen

Golthwur? That crazy old goat? ;)

Dark Archive

Male N Human Wizard 2
Spells Remaining:
1st color spray, comprehend languages, magic missile, sleep| 0—detect magic, ghost sound, mage hand, prestidigitation
| HP 4/15 AC 12 13 T 13 FF 11 | CMB +0, CMD 12| F: +1, R: +1+2, W: +3 | Init: +8 | Perc: +5, SM: +5 | Speed 30 ft.| Spells: 1st- 4/4 Active conditions: mage armor, -8 WIS
Skills:
Knowledge (arcana, dungeoneering, local, nature, planes, religion) +10, Spellcraft +11
Barrabas wrote:
Golthwur? That crazy old goat? ;)

Corrected above. (And good thing too, as wherever Golthwur goes he unleashes trouble and unrest! Not to mention that "old man" smell.)


Emerald Spire - Slides | Extinction Curse - Slides | Blooming Catastrophe - Slides

Content with is paper crown, Shenzen explains how this game works too. It's simple, slam the plate with a lot of force, and instead of hitting a bell, it animates a lion head atop the pole. The more force is used, the louder the lion roars.

Just some strength checks. Let's see some good attempts! You're each allowed one, aside from Shenzen, who already almost blew his own eardrums out with the force he applied.

The Concordance

Male Samsaran M Samsaran Magus (Mindblade)1st, Occultist (Battlehost)1st [HP 15/15, AC 21 /ff 19 /t 13, Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +4, Init +2, Per +0, Spd 30' (20’ in armor)

After Shenzen explains the way the game works, he invites the others to try.

He stands nearby with his arms crossed over his chest. Somehow, the placid, faintly bemused expression on his face also comes off smug and overly self-assured.

Grand Lodge

M Skinwalker Alchemist (Beastmorph) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 17/11/16 | F+4 R+3 W+1 | Perc +7 Low-light | Init +1 | Active Conditions: STR Mutagen

Barrabas walks over and picks up the mallet. He brings it over his head and comes down after a short hop.

str: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Liberty's Edge

Wulthur the Bold | Male CG Medium Human Fighter 2 | HP 10/22 | AC 18, T 13, FF 15 | CMD 18| F +4 R +2 W +3; | Init +4 | Perception +1, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 20ft (in armor) | Active Conditions: None.
Skills:
Climb +6 *+3 in armor), Knowledge (dungeoneering) +6, Profession (farmer) +4, Swim +6*+3 in armor)

Wulthur picks the hammer up in his hand, giving it a quick twirl. Then, placing a firm grip upon it, he drives it downward.
Strength: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

Looking pleased with the result of his strike, he hands the hammer over to his fellow adventurers without a satisfied grin, but in a manner otherwise free of gloating.

The Concordance

Male Samsaran M Samsaran Magus (Mindblade)1st, Occultist (Battlehost)1st [HP 15/15, AC 21 /ff 19 /t 13, Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +4, Init +2, Per +0, Spd 30' (20’ in armor)

The placid, smug expression turns to a gape of surprised disappointment and his arms drop to his side as Shenzen hears the furious, almost painful roar of the lion after Wulthur's blow.

He bows his head, which makes it easier to take the crown off. He hands it over to the other man.

"Well struck," he says, quietly.

1 to 50 of 442 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM XaveTheNerd's Murder's Mark All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.