The Fall of Plaguestone

Game Master Kevin O'Rourke 440

Current Map


501 to 550 of 748 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Barbarian 2 (Giant Instinct) | HP: 38/44 | Non-lethal: 0 |Temp HP : 6/6| AC: 17 (19 not raging), TAC: 11 (13 not raging) | F: +8, R: +3, W: +5 | Perc: +5 Athletics +6 Intimidation +1 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/2 | | Active conditions:

Throkk shakes off the remnants of a cheese-fuelled dream where he was a lizard who walked like a man.

"I'd like the healing potion.", notes Throkk.


Strong-Blooded Dwarf Tinker Rogue 2 | Perc +8 | AC 19 | F +6, R +9, W +8 | HP 31/31

Morsun whistles at the kukri.

"Maybe I should use a second weapon instead of this useless shield."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Map | Female | Neutral Good | Versatile Human Missionary Cleric 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 17 | Fort +3 / Ref +6 / Will +9 | Class DC 17 | Perception +6 | Spells 1L 3/3 / Divine Font 2/2

When Sazen wakes up after getting her night's rest, she heals everyone up enough at least to get back to the inn.

Heal: 1d10 ⇒ 1

This game hates me.

Not having much success, she tries again, targeting everyone.

Heal: 1d10 ⇒ 9

She takes the strongbox key, and looks around to see if there is one in this area.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


| HP: 21/28 | AC 20 | F:+8 R:+10 W:+8 | Class DC: 18 | Hero Points: 0/3 | | Focus Points: 1/1 | Speed 25 ft. | Perc +6 (+2 vs. undetected)| Deception +1, Diplomacy +1, Intimidation +5 | Acrobatics +8, Athletics +4, Stealth +8 | Active Conditions: Resistance 2 (bludgeoning and piercing), Weakness (fire) (10 min)

"Thanks, Sazen!" Emri says, hopping to her feet. "Find anything?"


Searching the cave system Sazen finds a strongbox back under Hallods cot.

Inside the chest is a batch of fourteen receipts, as well as a scrap of parchment that lists each transaction. Over the last five years Hallod has been giving large sums of gold in exchange for various alchemical items. These deliveries are numbered, starting with one and ending with delivery number fourteen... fourteen is dated recently, the day you arrived in town.

The chest still contains 21 gp and 37 sp.

Finally, on the back of the transaction list is a crude map. It depicts a cave helpfully labeled “HIDEOUT,” next to a shape that might be a pond; from there, a winding path passes through a strange V-shaped chamber before ending at what appears to be a clearing with a tree stump labeled “DROP POINT.”


Human Barbarian 2 (Giant Instinct) | HP: 38/44 | Non-lethal: 0 |Temp HP : 6/6| AC: 17 (19 not raging), TAC: 11 (13 not raging) | F: +8, R: +3, W: +5 | Perc: +5 Athletics +6 Intimidation +1 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/2 | | Active conditions:

"Thanks, Sazen."

Throkk wanders over to see what's been revealed in the strongbox.

"Gold and a map. That's handy! Let's go find the stuff Hallod bought!"

Grand Archive

M Elf (Seer) Enchanter 2 | HP: 16 | Init +1|AC 14 | F+3 R+5 W+8 | Perc +6 | Class DC 18 |

Sool takes some interest in the map.

"Well, clearly the place we found Hallod hiding out was 'The Hideout'. This along with the receipts, the note we found in his pocket and the corpse blood vials should more than prove our case to the local authorities."

"So we're now cleared of any wrongdoing. Our job is done. But I suspect you will ignore the lessons of your near death experience and insist we go after Hallod's accomplice?


Strong-Blooded Dwarf Tinker Rogue 2 | Perc +8 | AC 19 | F +6, R +9, W +8 | HP 31/31

"Not really.

"However, if Sheriff Garley wants to hire us to go after Hallod's accomplice, that could help offset the fact that we won't get paid for guarding the caravan to Elidir."

Turning back to the mess of documents they'd found.

"Why anyone would keep documentation of the shady stuff they're into is beyond me."

Grand Archive

M Elf (Seer) Enchanter 2 | HP: 16 | Init +1|AC 14 | F+3 R+5 W+8 | Perc +6 | Class DC 18 |

Sool shrugs. "I suspect for the same reason anyone keeps ledgers and receipts. He probably fully expected 'V' or Bort to try and cheat him, and he wanted records to confront them with. It's ever that way with the criminal element. They never expect to be caught, and they never fully trust their accomplices, because they expect them to be just as treacherous as themselves."

Sool pulls on his beard. "Getting paid would be nice." he admits.


| HP: 21/28 | AC 20 | F:+8 R:+10 W:+8 | Class DC: 18 | Hero Points: 0/3 | | Focus Points: 1/1 | Speed 25 ft. | Perc +6 (+2 vs. undetected)| Deception +1, Diplomacy +1, Intimidation +5 | Acrobatics +8, Athletics +4, Stealth +8 | Active Conditions: Resistance 2 (bludgeoning and piercing), Weakness (fire) (10 min)

"Of course we're going to help! The person he's working for is a murderer! We have to help! Otherwise they won't get punished at all. The local sheriff's not exactly a clever fellow..."

Grand Archive

M Elf (Seer) Enchanter 2 | HP: 16 | Init +1|AC 14 | F+3 R+5 W+8 | Perc +6 | Class DC 18 |

Sool considers this.

"He was clever enough to get us to do his work for him." observes Sool.


Strong-Blooded Dwarf Tinker Rogue 2 | Perc +8 | AC 19 | F +6, R +9, W +8 | HP 31/31

"Don't have to be clever if you're the law," Morsun grumbles. He looks to Sazen and Throkk for their opinions.


Human Barbarian 2 (Giant Instinct) | HP: 38/44 | Non-lethal: 0 |Temp HP : 6/6| AC: 17 (19 not raging), TAC: 11 (13 not raging) | F: +8, R: +3, W: +5 | Perc: +5 Athletics +6 Intimidation +1 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/2 | | Active conditions:

"They killed Bort. They got us blamed for it. We hunt them back."

Grand Archive

M Elf (Seer) Enchanter 2 | HP: 16 | Init +1|AC 14 | F+3 R+5 W+8 | Perc +6 | Class DC 18 |

"Ah, perhaps you didn't hear. Bort was supplying the materials for the very poisons that killed him. Hallod was his partner. I feel there's a certain poetry to his fate."


Map | Female | Neutral Good | Versatile Human Missionary Cleric 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 17 | Fort +3 / Ref +6 / Will +9 | Class DC 17 | Perception +6 | Spells 1L 3/3 / Divine Font 2/2

You guys, no point in arguing about it right now. We aren't even healed all the way. We are DEFINITELY not doing this today. Let's go and report to the Sheriff, and if he wants our help, then maybe tomorrow. Today we rest up and we'll get some supplies so we can get everyone's wounds treated. We'll have a low-stress day if possible, and then I'll magically heal you some more before bed if no one attacks us between now and then.

Assuming I can get Healer's Tools in town? That's a requirement to be able to Treat Wounds, in addition to the training I just got at level up.


Human Barbarian 2 (Giant Instinct) | HP: 38/44 | Non-lethal: 0 |Temp HP : 6/6| AC: 17 (19 not raging), TAC: 11 (13 not raging) | F: +8, R: +3, W: +5 | Perc: +5 Athletics +6 Intimidation +1 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/2 | | Active conditions:

"Still killed him.", replies Throkk.

"Yeah, I'm still sore. We can rest a bit."


After you rest you're able to return to Plaguestone and acquire a few supplies.

The sheriff has a few questions but with all of the evidence you've gathered he seems satisfied. "Good work, you're free to leave with the rest of the caravan when it's ready." Looking over the letter he adds "And as for this mysterious V they wont escape the magistrate..."


Human Barbarian 2 (Giant Instinct) | HP: 38/44 | Non-lethal: 0 |Temp HP : 6/6| AC: 17 (19 not raging), TAC: 11 (13 not raging) | F: +8, R: +3, W: +5 | Perc: +5 Athletics +6 Intimidation +1 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/2 | | Active conditions:

"Magistrate need help with V?"


2 people marked this as a favorite.
| HP: 21/28 | AC 20 | F:+8 R:+10 W:+8 | Class DC: 18 | Hero Points: 0/3 | | Focus Points: 1/1 | Speed 25 ft. | Perc +6 (+2 vs. undetected)| Deception +1, Diplomacy +1, Intimidation +5 | Acrobatics +8, Athletics +4, Stealth +8 | Active Conditions: Resistance 2 (bludgeoning and piercing), Weakness (fire) (10 min)

"Yeah, we'd be willing to track them down for you, if you like. After all, you seem super busy. Wouldn't want you overburdened or anything..."

Grand Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
M Elf (Seer) Enchanter 2 | HP: 16 | Init +1|AC 14 | F+3 R+5 W+8 | Perc +6 | Class DC 18 |

"Sherriff, you may be missing the key point here." says Sool. "V isn't trying to escape. Killing Bort was just to clear the decks of people who knew about their true plan. Hallod and V are planning something much bigger. Look at how much poison they were making. They intended to kill a LOT of people, probably very soon. If I had to guess, I suspect V will try and do something against the people of this town. And once V knows Hallod is dead, they will move swiftly to carry out their plan."


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Map | Female | Neutral Good | Versatile Human Missionary Cleric 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 17 | Fort +3 / Ref +6 / Will +9 | Class DC 17 | Perception +6 | Spells 1L 3/3 / Divine Font 2/2

Sazen uses 5 gold from the group's loot to buy healer's tools, since she didn't have enough to afford the tools herself. She justifies it because they are needed for everyone, but hopes that no one gets angry at her for using the money.


"The magistrate will be here in a month... I'll do what I can but to be blunt whoever this person is they have access to far more resources than we alone can deal with."

How much time do you guys want to craft?


Human Barbarian 2 (Giant Instinct) | HP: 38/44 | Non-lethal: 0 |Temp HP : 6/6| AC: 17 (19 not raging), TAC: 11 (13 not raging) | F: +8, R: +3, W: +5 | Perc: +5 Athletics +6 Intimidation +1 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/2 | | Active conditions:

"We hit harder."

Grand Archive

M Elf (Seer) Enchanter 2 | HP: 16 | Init +1|AC 14 | F+3 R+5 W+8 | Perc +6 | Class DC 18 |

"Mmhmm. Meaning we can forget about being paid to do any more digging. And now that we're aren't under house arrest, I imagine our free room and board just dried up as well?" grouses Sool. "I hope when your magistrate arrives in a month, he doesn't find a town full of corpses."


"I'm- I could- if you find something I might be able to get some money together but we're not a rich village but I'm sure I could persuade Delma to extend further hospitality."


Strong-Blooded Dwarf Tinker Rogue 2 | Perc +8 | AC 19 | F +6, R +9, W +8 | HP 31/31

"Do you know who this V person could be?" Morsun asks suspiciously.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

Grand Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Elf (Seer) Enchanter 2 | HP: 16 | Init +1|AC 14 | F+3 R+5 W+8 | Perc +6 | Class DC 18 |

"Oh I don't need your charity. I think perhaps I'll take up a new hobby. I think there's about to be a large demand for antitoxins in this town. Alchemy doesn't seem like a terribly difficult craft to master -- it seems to be rather like cooking, actually. With the proper recipes and materials and equipment, a modicum of care is all one requires to succeed."

"Yes. A fellow could become quite rich selling antidotes to a desperate and frightened populace. And it will be a much better use of my time than tramping about abandoned huts and overgrown thickets."

"Oh, Sheriff, one other thing... did you know there are a pair of dwarves living up at the old shrine? A father and a son, or so they claimed?"

GM, I don't want to hold up the game with a lot of crafting down time. Perhaps a day or two so he can make his first item? Sool would like to claim the alchemical materials we found in the hideout.


Morsun Morsun wrote:

"Do you know who this V person could be?" Morsun asks suspiciously.

"There's Vincent... there name does start with a V but he's far too busy to be involved in anything aside from farming." It seems like the Sheriff is being honest though as Sool begins to speak the man's jaw drops and his eyes fill with dread and dispair until he latches onto an idea.

Sool wrote:

"Oh I don't need your charity. I think perhaps I'll take up a new hobby. I think there's about to be a large demand for antitoxins in this town. Alchemy doesn't seem like a terribly difficult craft to master -- it seems to be rather like cooking, actually. With the proper recipes and materials and equipment, a modicum of care is all one requires to succeed."

"Yes. A fellow could become quite rich selling antidotes to a desperate and frightened populace. And it will be a much better use of my time than tramping about abandoned huts and overgrown thickets."

"Oh, Sheriff, one other thing... did you know there are a pair of dwarves living up at the old shrine? A father and a son, or so they claimed?"

[b]"B-but we're a poor village, you'll not get rich off us but obviously this V is of extensive means. If it's coin you are after foiling them would be the best route for you. And you're asking about Metmon and Edfur, the old shrine is on their land."[b]


Human Barbarian 2 (Giant Instinct) | HP: 38/44 | Non-lethal: 0 |Temp HP : 6/6| AC: 17 (19 not raging), TAC: 11 (13 not raging) | F: +8, R: +3, W: +5 | Perc: +5 Athletics +6 Intimidation +1 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/2 | | Active conditions:

"Sheriff has a point, Sool. V has gold. Sheriff has no problem with us getting that gold if we stop V. I understood that."


| HP: 21/28 | AC 20 | F:+8 R:+10 W:+8 | Class DC: 18 | Hero Points: 0/3 | | Focus Points: 1/1 | Speed 25 ft. | Perc +6 (+2 vs. undetected)| Deception +1, Diplomacy +1, Intimidation +5 | Acrobatics +8, Athletics +4, Stealth +8 | Active Conditions: Resistance 2 (bludgeoning and piercing), Weakness (fire) (10 min)

"Come on, fellas!" Emri exclaims, putting her hands on her hips. "We've gotta do right by Bort! Besides, which among you could honestly say they're alright with letting some shady jerk kill a lot of townsfolk? People who sheltered us? If we do nothing, when we're capable of doing so much, those deaths are on our hands." She looks at her companions, one by one, and shakes her head as if she's absolutely ashamed in them. "How many deaths are you alright with? Five? Ten? Fifty? What if they're kids? Friends?" She crosses her arms. "I'm not alright with any. If you want to wait for pay or pack up and go -- fine. Go. But I won't let folks die. I'm going after V."

"Who's with me?"


Human Barbarian 2 (Giant Instinct) | HP: 38/44 | Non-lethal: 0 |Temp HP : 6/6| AC: 17 (19 not raging), TAC: 11 (13 not raging) | F: +8, R: +3, W: +5 | Perc: +5 Athletics +6 Intimidation +1 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/2 | | Active conditions:

"Yah.", replies Throkk, already inclined towards wreaking bloody havoc upon V.


Strong-Blooded Dwarf Tinker Rogue 2 | Perc +8 | AC 19 | F +6, R +9, W +8 | HP 31/31
Emri wrote:
"Who's with me?"

Morsun closes his eyes and sighs deeply. He nods.


Map | Female | Neutral Good | Versatile Human Missionary Cleric 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 17 | Fort +3 / Ref +6 / Will +9 | Class DC 17 | Perception +6 | Spells 1L 3/3 / Divine Font 2/2

I'm with you, but not doing it for Bort, who seems to have been in on it, and had no problem with harming the town. Sool got that part right. I'm doing it for Erastil, and to help the innocent hardworking citizens.


| HP: 21/28 | AC 20 | F:+8 R:+10 W:+8 | Class DC: 18 | Hero Points: 0/3 | | Focus Points: 1/1 | Speed 25 ft. | Perc +6 (+2 vs. undetected)| Deception +1, Diplomacy +1, Intimidation +5 | Acrobatics +8, Athletics +4, Stealth +8 | Active Conditions: Resistance 2 (bludgeoning and piercing), Weakness (fire) (10 min)

"That's the spirit!"

Emri turns to Sool and waggles her eyebrows. "Come on. Join us. You know you want to."

Grand Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
M Elf (Seer) Enchanter 2 | HP: 16 | Init +1|AC 14 | F+3 R+5 W+8 | Perc +6 | Class DC 18 |

"I truly don't." says Sool stubbornly. "But I suppose we aren't going anywhere for a while. I'm willing to help if you actually come up with a lead of some sort, otherwise I'll be at work developing antitoxins."

Sool takes over one of the abandoned buildings in town, a small 2 room hovel that still has a table. He spends a good part of the day setting up his materials and doing calculations, working diligently on his newest hobby. He hangs a makeshift sign near the door that reads 'El-Deschitado' which he huffily explains to anyone who asks is a Khelish word for a sort of rumpus room, although its slang connotations are more racy. Perhaps this was an attempt at ironic humor.

Periodically, while waiting for a reaction to complete, or while allowing a reagent to evaporate, he sits outside and sketches the townsfolk in various poses and attitudes. His work is good, if a trifle clinical, like the sketches of a naturalist rendering a beetle for his notebook.

He puts his bedroll and blanket in the smaller room, but seems to sleep very little. Magical light illuminates the small hut most of the night, and he can be seen either monitoring his beakers or reading some thick nondescript book.

This is flavor. Sool will of course still be part of the party and go about on whatever hunt they undertake.


Map | Female | Neutral Good | Versatile Human Missionary Cleric 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 17 | Fort +3 / Ref +6 / Will +9 | Class DC 17 | Perception +6 | Spells 1L 3/3 / Divine Font 2/2

After Sool walks out, Sazen says

We need to give it a day or two before we get into another battle anyway. I'm sure he'll come with us when we have someplace to go.

Emri, did you have an idea of where to go to begin?


Strong-Blooded Dwarf Tinker Rogue 2 | Perc +8 | AC 19 | F +6, R +9, W +8 | HP 31/31

"We can see if there's any clues at the drop point," Morsun says, pointing to whoever is carrying the map.


| HP: 21/28 | AC 20 | F:+8 R:+10 W:+8 | Class DC: 18 | Hero Points: 0/3 | | Focus Points: 1/1 | Speed 25 ft. | Perc +6 (+2 vs. undetected)| Deception +1, Diplomacy +1, Intimidation +5 | Acrobatics +8, Athletics +4, Stealth +8 | Active Conditions: Resistance 2 (bludgeoning and piercing), Weakness (fire) (10 min)

"We've got a map to the drop point, of course! Let's examine it! Maybe the locals can give us some advice, too. I wonder if anyone around here goes out into the woods much. They'd probably know the area best." She thinks a moment, then shrugs. "Maybe there's a clue at the drop point that will lead us to V."


Map | Female | Neutral Good | Versatile Human Missionary Cleric 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 17 | Fort +3 / Ref +6 / Will +9 | Class DC 17 | Perception +6 | Spells 1L 3/3 / Divine Font 2/2

Sazen agrees, but only after everyone is healed up.

Also just flavor. I think we're ready for the next step.


Unfortunately the drop points doesn't turn up any leads but as you return to town a woman wearing a green cloak with the hood up approaches you. She is pulling a sled with a blanket covering it's cargo.

"From what I've heard since returning to the village this is your groups handywork most likely." She pulls back the blanket to reveal the forms of the corrupted wolves that attacked you several days ago just before you entered Plaguestone. "My name is Noala and I think we can help each other. As you've revealed Hallod was working with the architect of some scheme but we can't rule out others for sure. I'd like to discuss some details in private."


Strong-Blooded Dwarf Tinker Rogue 2 | Perc +8 | AC 19 | F +6, R +9, W +8 | HP 31/31

"Are you from here? Where would you be comfortable talking?"

Grand Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Elf (Seer) Enchanter 2 | HP: 16 | Init +1|AC 14 | F+3 R+5 W+8 | Perc +6 | Class DC 18 |

Sool frowns and looks cooly at Noala.

"You seem well informed." he says.


Map | Female | Neutral Good | Versatile Human Missionary Cleric 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 17 | Fort +3 / Ref +6 / Will +9 | Class DC 17 | Perception +6 | Spells 1L 3/3 / Divine Font 2/2

Sazen thinks caution is wise... anyone could be the mysterious V, but she also wants to hear what the woman has to say, so she waits for her to answer Morsun's questions.


Human Barbarian 2 (Giant Instinct) | HP: 38/44 | Non-lethal: 0 |Temp HP : 6/6| AC: 17 (19 not raging), TAC: 11 (13 not raging) | F: +8, R: +3, W: +5 | Perc: +5 Athletics +6 Intimidation +1 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/2 | | Active conditions:

Throkk looks at the woman curiously.


"In the forest, and I do try to be."

The mysterious woman leads you to a clearing in the woods, not far from the town itself, where a small fire is already burning in a carefully kept fire pit. She tosses back her hood to reveal long, elven ears and deep, emerald eyes. With one hand, she begins to drag the wolf corpses to the flame. She avoids the use of her right hand, which is entirely covered in an oddly shaped leather gauntlet.

“These wolves aren’t the first, and I am afraid they won’t be the last. Worse still,” she grunts, as she begins to drag the body of the caustic wolf to the fire, “the forest itself is turning sour.
Plants and trees are withering, bearing bitter fruit that sickens and kills those who eat it. If you’ve been out to the old orchard, you’ve seen it. The blight is growing, and I need your help to stop it."

Grand Archive

M Elf (Seer) Enchanter 2 | HP: 16 | Init +1|AC 14 | F+3 R+5 W+8 | Perc +6 | Class DC 18 |

"You're a druid?" asks Sool blandly.


Strong-Blooded Dwarf Tinker Rogue 2 | Perc +8 | AC 19 | F +6, R +9, W +8 | HP 31/31

Making sure he has his own gloves on, Morsun grabs a wolf and starts to drag it to the fire.


Human Barbarian 2 (Giant Instinct) | HP: 38/44 | Non-lethal: 0 |Temp HP : 6/6| AC: 17 (19 not raging), TAC: 11 (13 not raging) | F: +8, R: +3, W: +5 | Perc: +5 Athletics +6 Intimidation +1 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/2 | | Active conditions:

Taking the hint, Throkk finds some rags, wraps them about his own hands, then starts hauling wolf corpses for the fire.


"No but I know these woods. There's been parts deep in the woods that have been corrupted for years but I've been unable to get to the bottom of it. It's cropping up more often now and it's clear I wont be able to get a handle on this again just by myself."

"The basic outline of the first steps of a plan I have is to lead you to an area that is corrupted. I range around the outside setting up snares and with my bow ready in case of strays while you go in and investigate the core of the issue... and if necessary purge corrupted creatures."


Map | Female | Neutral Good | Versatile Human Missionary Cleric 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 17 | Fort +3 / Ref +6 / Will +9 | Class DC 17 | Perception +6 | Spells 1L 3/3 / Divine Font 2/2

Sazen pulls her scarf up over her nose and mouth, not wanting to breathe in diseased wolf smoke.

Her words are somewhat muffled therefore when she says

Hmm, interesting plan. I'm willing to try it.

501 to 550 of 748 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Fall of Plaguestone All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.