Tales of a Dying World: Dragoncat's AD&D DARK SUN Campaign

Game Master Dragoncat

An AD&D 2nd Edition campaign set in the dying world of Athas!

Current Date: Day 2, Year of Priest's Defiance, 170th King's Age

The Captain's Map


51 to 100 of 201 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

Laurelin

Your wandering through the argosy's corridors brings you around a corner to what looks like a crude kitchen. Several wooden stools are scattered about in disarray, with a few recently-abandoned plates of pasty grey-white gruel left behind. A couple of barrels against one wall contain more gruel, but there's also a large cask with a stone spigot sitting against the far wall. The end of the spigot is dripping.

Several waterskins are hung up on pegs mounted to the kitchen's wall.

You are in Room E.


Male Athenian Elf Preserver (arena mage) 2/psion (mercenary psion)2
Stats:
AC 6 Hp 20 Saves paralyzation, poison, death magic, 13 rod/staff/wand 11 petrification/polymorph 10 breath weapon 15 spell 12 +2 on all saves vs mind affecting effect

Cale grabs an obsidian shortsword and sighs in relief before heading to the magical paraphernalia room. If he could find a spell component pouch he'd be happy


Gladiator 3 | HP 64/69 | AC 8 | Vs Par, Poi, Death 13 | Vs Rod, Staff, Wand 15 | Vs Petri, Poly 14 | Vs Breath Weapon 16 | Vs Spells 16 | Init +2 | THAC0 - 15 | Two Handed Sword - 14 | Punching - 14 | Long Spear - 15

Picking up the largest sword he could find, Crow grunted as the weapon looked more like a toothpick in his vast hand. Still, it would do. The gladiator began to hunt for bags, satchels, and other containers. Apparently, they weren't taking the vehicle? Maybe the animals were already dead. That would be some meat.


Female Human Psionicist (Beastmaster) 3 | 24/24 HP | 50/50 PSPs | AC 10 | Reaction Adj. +5 (+3 with city-dwellers)

The orange-eyed woman grabs two waterskins and fills them from the barrel with the spigot, always looking over her shoulder in case someone else comes in.

"Hey!" she shouts back down the hallway to her companions. "I found some food and water! Everyone should grab some to take with us, we don't know how far we are out in the desert!"


Male Athenian Elf Preserver (arena mage) 2/psion (mercenary psion)2
Stats:
AC 6 Hp 20 Saves paralyzation, poison, death magic, 13 rod/staff/wand 11 petrification/polymorph 10 breath weapon 15 spell 12 +2 on all saves vs mind affecting effect

I love how we have abandoned stealth here. it amuses me


Female Human Psionicist (Beastmaster) 3 | 24/24 HP | 50/50 PSPs | AC 10 | Reaction Adj. +5 (+3 with city-dwellers)

Desperation in the middle of a battle eh?


N Male Mul Gladiator3 | HP 34/39| AC 8 | DA -2 MDA +1 | PPD 13 RSW 15 PP 14 BW 16 MS 16 | Reaction Adj +1|
Status:
None.

Khar doesn't know any better yet, lol. In matters other than gladiator fights, he is like a child.

Khar hears Laurelin and spins about to find her and assist gathering water.


NG F Ranger 2/Fire Cleric 2/Tribal Psionicist 2 | HP 21/24 | PSP 83/93 | AC 2 | PPD 10 RSW 14 PP 10 BW 16 S 15 | Reaction Adj +0| Status: none

Ick-tk-chk-ka grabs one of each of the unfamiliar weapons and stows them in scabbards and the like. She keeps a peery eye out for enemies. When called over to gather food and water she asks, "Why are you taking so much water? One skin should last a week or more." She said this not quite understanding humanoid physiology.


Cale

You stop and enter the room next to the kitchen.

The interior of this room is decorated with elaborate bone carvings of strange monsters. The bed next to the far wall has a couple of pillows in white cloth bags, green-dyed sheets and a thick brown blanket. There's a large, square safe made of dark stone sitting next to the bed. Lying on a desk by the room's western wall is a well-made red and blue robe with a matching scarf. It looks like it's been recently worn. A small leather pouch sits underneath the pile of clothes--along with what looks like a hollowed-out femur with a fracture at one end. A piece of parchment is poking out of a crack in the bone.

Cale:
So. That's where the captain took your spellbook. He'd better not have soiled it while you were imprisoned.


Female Human Psionicist (Beastmaster) 3 | 24/24 HP | 50/50 PSPs | AC 10 | Reaction Adj. +5 (+3 with city-dwellers)
Ick-tk-chk-ka wrote:
Ick-tk-chk-ka grabs one of each of the unfamiliar weapons and stows them in scabbards and the like. She keeps a peery eye out for enemies. When called over to gather food and water she asks, "Why are you taking so much water? One skin should last a week or more." She said this not quite understanding humanoid physiology.

"We need more than you," explains Laurelin. "Just like a crodlu needs more than a kank." She references the bird-reptile mounts and the insectoid mounts for comparison, though thri-kreen usually don't keep domesticated animals so she's not sure if the idea will get across. "The big one needs even more, like an inix," she adds, extending the comparison to Crow, gesturing with her hands to indicate the towering half-giant.


Gladiator 3 | HP 64/69 | AC 8 | Vs Par, Poi, Death 13 | Vs Rod, Staff, Wand 15 | Vs Petri, Poly 14 | Vs Breath Weapon 16 | Vs Spells 16 | Init +2 | THAC0 - 15 | Two Handed Sword - 14 | Punching - 14 | Long Spear - 15

Crow considered. "Could do with more. Don't need it. Learned to do with less." He shrugged. "Good with the heat."


NG F Ranger 2/Fire Cleric 2/Tribal Psionicist 2 | HP 21/24 | PSP 83/93 | AC 2 | PPD 10 RSW 14 PP 10 BW 16 S 15 | Reaction Adj +0| Status: none

Ick-tk-chk-ka cocks her head skeptically, she was much larger than all of them except for Crow so Laurelin's explanation didn't make sense to her. On the other claw she had very little practical experience with humanoid mammals and a good chief listens to their tribes-mates, "I think I understand." After helping the party load up on supplies she heads to the captains quarters to assist searching there.

I assume I don't have a holy symbol to use. Unless I can use a chunk of obsidian.


Male Athenian Elf Preserver (arena mage) 2/psion (mercenary psion)2
Stats:
AC 6 Hp 20 Saves paralyzation, poison, death magic, 13 rod/staff/wand 11 petrification/polymorph 10 breath weapon 15 spell 12 +2 on all saves vs mind affecting effect

Cale puts on his outfit with a sigh of relief before shouting to the others "does anybody know how to open a safe? or feel strong enough to carry one?" He also grabs the bone and the bag, planning to examine them later.
combination safe or pin/tumblr?


The safe is a lock-and-key one, and it can be carried out.

@Ick-tk-chk-ka: A chunk of obsidian should suffice as a replacement holy symbol.

As the party is rummaging through the argosy, gathering the resources they need to survive in the desert, a sudden *crackling* fills the air, followed by a *BOOM!*

An entire section of the wagon-fortress' south wall comes crashing down, taking the driver deck with it. A large hole opens up in the wall, revealing the argosy's mekillots ambling away from the fight. The wagon-fortress lurches and dips forward, and a panicked cry goes up from the defenders. The sounds of fighting dwindle and stop.

"Those of you still within, leave now or be put to the torch! These are NO LONGER Hamanu's roads!" An elven voice bellows from the hole in the wall. The source of the voice is the warchief--and he has sparks of energy flying from his fingertips. A ring of dead grey ash surrounds him.

At this point, everyone has gathered at least 2 units of food & water per person.


Male Athenian Elf Preserver (arena mage) 2/psion (mercenary psion)2
Stats:
AC 6 Hp 20 Saves paralyzation, poison, death magic, 13 rod/staff/wand 11 petrification/polymorph 10 breath weapon 15 spell 12 +2 on all saves vs mind affecting effect

We bear no alegiance to he who previously ran this vehicle. if you permit us to leave with what little we have managed to claim in order for us to leave and survive we will be grateful for your magnanimousness." he bows as he makes himself visible to them
Could Cale have passed the safe off to one of our stronger people just before the explosion happened?


@Cale: Sure.


Male Athenian Elf Preserver (arena mage) 2/psion (mercenary psion)2
Stats:
AC 6 Hp 20 Saves paralyzation, poison, death magic, 13 rod/staff/wand 11 petrification/polymorph 10 breath weapon 15 spell 12 +2 on all saves vs mind affecting effect

good good, doing "please don't kill us" diplomacy while holding a safe they might want probably wouldn't have gone over great 14 charisma don't fail me now!


NG F Ranger 2/Fire Cleric 2/Tribal Psionicist 2 | HP 21/24 | PSP 83/93 | AC 2 | PPD 10 RSW 14 PP 10 BW 16 S 15 | Reaction Adj +0| Status: none

better than me talking to them I get something like a -8 reaction adj vs elves!


Female Human Psionicist (Beastmaster) 3 | 24/24 HP | 50/50 PSPs | AC 10 | Reaction Adj. +5 (+3 with city-dwellers)

The orange-eyed woman comes out of the storage area carrying a pair of waterskins and a satchet of dried erdlu meat and eggs, sees the standoff, and carefully tries to stay in the shade of the argosy while Cale does his negotiations.


GM Rolls:
Reaction *Cale*: 2d10 ⇒ (3, 6) = 9

There's a pause as Cale replies to the warchief's command.

"Leave, then. And do so quickly."

Surrounding the warchief are several dozen elves in ragged desert leathers, some of whom are bearing lit torches and preparing to enter the wagon-fortress by the side entrances. The warchief's metal helmet looks like it's taken a couple of hits. His notched metal sword is coated in fresh blood--as is the rest of his leathers. His bare chest is heavily tattooed, bearing images of arrows flying through the desert wind.

Surrounded by Elves


Male Athenian Elf Preserver (arena mage) 2/psion (mercenary psion)2
Stats:
AC 6 Hp 20 Saves paralyzation, poison, death magic, 13 rod/staff/wand 11 petrification/polymorph 10 breath weapon 15 spell 12 +2 on all saves vs mind affecting effect

Cale bows again and looks to the others "let's get out of here" he says, immediately following the orders of this elven warlord,.


Gladiator 3 | HP 64/69 | AC 8 | Vs Par, Poi, Death 13 | Vs Rod, Staff, Wand 15 | Vs Petri, Poly 14 | Vs Breath Weapon 16 | Vs Spells 16 | Init +2 | THAC0 - 15 | Two Handed Sword - 14 | Punching - 14 | Long Spear - 15

Moving out and standing up straight for the first time in an age, Crow looked around at the small army of Elves. It didn't seem to click that they were a danger, as the Half-Giant simply nodded at Cale before reaching over to the vehicle and tore off a long section, preferably a handrail or the like. He had plans.

1d100 ⇒ 33


NG F Ranger 2/Fire Cleric 2/Tribal Psionicist 2 | HP 21/24 | PSP 83/93 | AC 2 | PPD 10 RSW 14 PP 10 BW 16 S 15 | Reaction Adj +0| Status: none

Ick-tk-chk-ka exited the vehicle following Crow. She counted the number of potentially hostile elves noting how well armed and organized they were. She also tried to assess the warchief's capabilities.


N Male Mul Gladiator3 | HP 34/39| AC 8 | DA -2 MDA +1 | PPD 13 RSW 15 PP 14 BW 16 MS 16 | Reaction Adj +1|
Status:
None.

Khar follows the others. Seeing the elves surrounding the argosy, he can't help but think of the crowds of the arena. He stands there raising both his swords up to his side and bows his head. He lowers them and follows the the others. "Where can we go? Will they not try to find us?"


Male Athenian Elf Preserver (arena mage) 2/psion (mercenary psion)2
Stats:
AC 6 Hp 20 Saves paralyzation, poison, death magic, 13 rod/staff/wand 11 petrification/polymorph 10 breath weapon 15 spell 12 +2 on all saves vs mind affecting effect

"the elves or the slavers? If the elves wanted to find us they could have stopped us from leaving. and the slavers are either dead or think we are dead. we should be in the clear for now


N Male Mul Gladiator3 | HP 34/39| AC 8 | DA -2 MDA +1 | PPD 13 RSW 15 PP 14 BW 16 MS 16 | Reaction Adj +1|
Status:
None.

Khar stops and furrows his brow. He glances back at the elves swarming over the remains of the Urikites then looks at Cale. He opens his mouth but shuts it quickly and picks his pace back up. Staring straight ahead at the wasteland before them he repeats his initial question, "Where can we go?"

Do we have a rough idea of where we are in the Tablelands?


@Khar: You've spent at least seven days in the caravan, leaving Urik along the trade roads. The caravan resupplied at an oasis three days ago. However, it appears the caravan left the trade roads since the oasis.

As the group leaves the argosy, there's a roar of anger when Ick-tk-chk-ka emerges. They start hurling insults and obscene gestures at the mantis warrior, but don't move to attack. The warlord glares at the party (and the thri-kreen in particular) as they leave. "This is the last charity the Jura-Dai will ever show you."

Within minutes, the ruined argosy is engulfed in flames. The elven tribe turns and runs into the desert wastes, leaving a cloud of churning sand in their wake.

Cale:
Now that you've had a chance to get away and take stock of your situation, you have a chance to look through the cloth bag and examine the human femur in more detail.

The bag is filled with strange knickknacks--bits of differently-coloured sand, pieces of etched leather, tiny bits of what appear to be giant hair, and other things of that nature. It's a spell component bag.

The top of the femur has a fracture in it. Popping it open reveals a piece of weathered parchment--and it has a crudely sketched map on it.


Male Athenian Elf Preserver (arena mage) 2/psion (mercenary psion)2
Stats:
AC 6 Hp 20 Saves paralyzation, poison, death magic, 13 rod/staff/wand 11 petrification/polymorph 10 breath weapon 15 spell 12 +2 on all saves vs mind affecting effect

After the tribe leave Cale feels a pang of homesickness, but he pushes it down to turn to the others "I found a map, sadly it is incredibly basic" he shows the others


N Male Mul Gladiator3 | HP 34/39| AC 8 | DA -2 MDA +1 | PPD 13 RSW 15 PP 14 BW 16 MS 16 | Reaction Adj +1|
Status:
None.

Khar looks at the map. "What is it? What does it do?"


NG F Ranger 2/Fire Cleric 2/Tribal Psionicist 2 | HP 21/24 | PSP 83/93 | AC 2 | PPD 10 RSW 14 PP 10 BW 16 S 15 | Reaction Adj +0| Status: none

The thri-kreen watches the elves go not saying anything. Not looking at the map Ick-tk-chk-ka tried to orient herself.

Know Direction vs 20: 1d20 ⇒ 14

She points in a direction, "That way is the oasis we resupplied several days ago. If we head there we'll be able to get more water and there should be game animals to hunt."


Gladiator 3 | HP 64/69 | AC 8 | Vs Par, Poi, Death 13 | Vs Rod, Staff, Wand 15 | Vs Petri, Poly 14 | Vs Breath Weapon 16 | Vs Spells 16 | Init +2 | THAC0 - 15 | Two Handed Sword - 14 | Punching - 14 | Long Spear - 15

Crow frowned for a moment, looking confused. "Who is the Master now?" It was clear that the idea that there was no Master had yet to occur to him. And probably wouldn't.


N Male Mul Gladiator3 | HP 34/39| AC 8 | DA -2 MDA +1 | PPD 13 RSW 15 PP 14 BW 16 MS 16 | Reaction Adj +1|
Status:
None.

With a look towards the human woman, then staring at the thri-kreen, Khar gradually responds to Crow. "I think...we are our own masters? But also...each other's? The thri-kreen is an arena boss, directing his stable for a day's bouts. The human and elf both know how to survive on their own. We, my large friend, can deal with whatever threats may come.

"I once witnessed some Jazst take on some massive beast. They killed it with a thousand small wounds, as such entertainers are supposed to do, but it was the way they fought together to distract and harass the creature that makes me think of them now. One would distract it as another would move into an attack position. Meanwhile a third was preparing to launch yet another into the air to thrill the crowd and land a blow from above. They called it, 'teamwork.'"


Male Athenian Elf Preserver (arena mage) 2/psion (mercenary psion)2
Stats:
AC 6 Hp 20 Saves paralyzation, poison, death magic, 13 rod/staff/wand 11 petrification/polymorph 10 breath weapon 15 spell 12 +2 on all saves vs mind affecting effect

Cale frowns at this "have you no clan, no tribe, I home to call your own?


Female Human Psionicist (Beastmaster) 3 | 24/24 HP | 50/50 PSPs | AC 10 | Reaction Adj. +5 (+3 with city-dwellers)

”For now we must rely on each other,” says the orange-eyed woman. ”My name is Laurelin. I am a herdswoman by trade. I have some knowledge of the Way.”

She glances at the map, then says, ”I can’t read, but if this shows how to get to an oasis, that’s as good an idea as any.”

”But know, we are all invested, and we all have a say, because this is about all of our lives.”


Male Athenian Elf Preserver (arena mage) 2/psion (mercenary psion)2
Stats:
AC 6 Hp 20 Saves paralyzation, poison, death magic, 13 rod/staff/wand 11 petrification/polymorph 10 breath weapon 15 spell 12 +2 on all saves vs mind affecting effect

Cale smiles "I too am a student of the way, predominantly clariescence. Perhaps we can learn from one another once we are in a position of security. The oasis seems like a good first place to check out, though we must be wary of predators. Many monsters stalk the oasises for an easy meal, I believe our bug friend here pointed out a direction to orient our map, a heading to follow"


NG F Ranger 2/Fire Cleric 2/Tribal Psionicist 2 | HP 21/24 | PSP 83/93 | AC 2 | PPD 10 RSW 14 PP 10 BW 16 S 15 | Reaction Adj +0| Status: none

Ick-tk-chk-ka made the series of clicks that is her name, "Elf we will be those predators."


Male Athenian Elf Preserver (arena mage) 2/psion (mercenary psion)2
Stats:
AC 6 Hp 20 Saves paralyzation, poison, death magic, 13 rod/staff/wand 11 petrification/polymorph 10 breath weapon 15 spell 12 +2 on all saves vs mind affecting effect

He nods "we won't be the only ones"


Gladiator 3 | HP 64/69 | AC 8 | Vs Par, Poi, Death 13 | Vs Rod, Staff, Wand 15 | Vs Petri, Poly 14 | Vs Breath Weapon 16 | Vs Spells 16 | Init +2 | THAC0 - 15 | Two Handed Sword - 14 | Punching - 14 | Long Spear - 15

Crow looked confused by all this. The world was simple. Slave's had masters. He was a slave. Therefore, he had a master. A master was supposed to provide what he needed. If there was no master, who provided what he needed? "Been on teams, yeah. Can work together." He'd work out which one was the master eventually.


N Male Mul Gladiator3 | HP 34/39| AC 8 | DA -2 MDA +1 | PPD 13 RSW 15 PP 14 BW 16 MS 16 | Reaction Adj +1|
Status:
None.

"I used to belong to someone. His household was my household. That time is passed." The mul tells Cale.

In response to Laurelin's introduction, the mul says, "My name is Khar."


Male Athenian Elf Preserver (arena mage) 2/psion (mercenary psion)2
Stats:
AC 6 Hp 20 Saves paralyzation, poison, death magic, 13 rod/staff/wand 11 petrification/polymorph 10 breath weapon 15 spell 12 +2 on all saves vs mind affecting effect

Cale smiles at them "Cale'Anon Vaty of the Skysingers clan, former arena psion. Emphasis on former, I'm not going through that again, and I'll try to keep you lot out of it too."
I wonder who our large friend will eventually think of as the master. That thought amuses me


N Male Mul Gladiator3 | HP 34/39| AC 8 | DA -2 MDA +1 | PPD 13 RSW 15 PP 14 BW 16 MS 16 | Reaction Adj +1|
Status:
None.

Khar favors the decisiveness and directness of Ick so far. He's also unused to being around a woman who isn't a warrior type, and is trying to make his mind up about her.


Gladiator 3 | HP 64/69 | AC 8 | Vs Par, Poi, Death 13 | Vs Rod, Staff, Wand 15 | Vs Petri, Poly 14 | Vs Breath Weapon 16 | Vs Spells 16 | Init +2 | THAC0 - 15 | Two Handed Sword - 14 | Punching - 14 | Long Spear - 15

Probably whoever takes the most active role bossing him around. It's a double edged sword, however - eventually he will start to understand he's free and change accordingly. If, you know, the setting does kill him first.

"Crow," the Half-Giant said, his obsidian eyes giving a clear reason for the name. "Some called me Irontouched, 'cos I'm tougher than most." He shrugged, neither bragging nor dismissive of the idea. He started to fiddle with the length of wood he'd torn off before leaving, looking to see which end would best suit the sword to form a spear. He was good with spears.


I would also like to point out that thanks to Ick's Know Direction roll, she knows the way back to the oasis the party passed is also in the direction of Urik.

There is another oasis indicated to the southwest of the map.


NG F Ranger 2/Fire Cleric 2/Tribal Psionicist 2 | HP 21/24 | PSP 83/93 | AC 2 | PPD 10 RSW 14 PP 10 BW 16 S 15 | Reaction Adj +0| Status: none

Ick would like to think of herself as a good chief but she's also a 6 year old with no experience in leadership. Someone should eventually knock her down a peg.

Also I didn't catch that the oases were different thanks for clarifing

Ick-tk-chk-ka shifted indecisively the oasis backwards would lead back to the slavers that caught her. She asked, [b]"Are you saying it's a different oasis?"[/ooc] She tried to look at the map and also guage which direction Jura-Dai went.


That'll be a Direction Sense roll, please.


NG F Ranger 2/Fire Cleric 2/Tribal Psionicist 2 | HP 21/24 | PSP 83/93 | AC 2 | PPD 10 RSW 14 PP 10 BW 16 S 15 | Reaction Adj +0| Status: none

lol sure

know direction vs 20: 1d20 ⇒ 7


Ick-tk-chk-ka's Direction Sense:
Judging by your position relative to the burnt remains of the argosy and comparing it to where you last saw the elf tribe running, they appear to have gone in a south-southwesterly direction. The oasis on the map appears to be to the southwest of the last X on the map.


NG F Ranger 2/Fire Cleric 2/Tribal Psionicist 2 | HP 21/24 | PSP 83/93 | AC 2 | PPD 10 RSW 14 PP 10 BW 16 S 15 | Reaction Adj +0| Status: none

Ick chirps in a vocalization indicating that she's thinking. "Jura-Dai went that way," she points south south west. "The oasis is that way," she points south west. "We should be ready for a fight as we may need to carve some territory from them."


Female Human Psionicist (Beastmaster) 3 | 24/24 HP | 50/50 PSPs | AC 10 | Reaction Adj. +5 (+3 with city-dwellers)

"We could try our luck in Urik, but without much in the way of money it's a big risk... the templars would probably also just peg us as escaped slaves and try to capture us again," says Laurelin. "The oasis seems like a good start. At the very least we might be able to survive there for a while, as we figure out where to go next."


Gladiator 3 | HP 64/69 | AC 8 | Vs Par, Poi, Death 13 | Vs Rod, Staff, Wand 15 | Vs Petri, Poly 14 | Vs Breath Weapon 16 | Vs Spells 16 | Init +2 | THAC0 - 15 | Two Handed Sword - 14 | Punching - 14 | Long Spear - 15

"Need clothes," Crow chipped in. He gestured to his own, mostly bare, form by way of explanation. "Sunburn. Dehyd-dehi...loose water, too. Sun will kill us before we run out of water like this."

51 to 100 of 201 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Tales of a Dying World: Dragoncat's AD&D DARK SUN Campaign Gameplay Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.