GM Valen's SFS 1-20 The Duskmire Accord 9 (PbP) (Tier 3-4)

Game Master Lysle

Started

Slides & Maps


151 to 200 of 252 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma
Kat5e wrote:
Kat begins to speak, but pauses and turns back to the drones. "Thank youuuuu" She says to them with her vocal modulator set to maximum sass and gives them a dismissive wave away.

The drones turn northward and fly off toward he horizon in the direction of a waterfall in the distance.

After several more hours heading north by land, you find yourselves among the hills at the north end of the cavern, near the river.

A small village is built atop a low hill in the distance. A swift river borders the village to the west, its waters flowing from north to south. Fields of rice and substantial clusters of mushrooms grow from the hillsides around the town, and several figures are at work tending to the crops, their backs bent and hunched. The village itself has a short wall of piled dirt around its perimeter, and scraggly growth on top shows the beginnings of a protective hedge.

Quickly, you realize the figures in the fields have hyena-like heads and fur-covered bodies. They are clearly gnolls, although this behavior is quite unusual for them. Gnolls are notorious carnivores and slavers, and they usually view manual labor to be a sign of weakness and subservience. An agrarian society of gnolls is practically unheard of.

Wayfinders

Male CG halfling ace pilot operative (explorer) 2 | SP 12/12 HP 14/14 | RP 4/4 | EAC 14; KAC 15 | Fort +1; Ref +7; Will +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10, SM: +8 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None

Junior Ambassador Calvon darts forward, raising his otter body to full height as he speaks. "Greetings. We are new to this region, and look to speak with the leader of your people." He motions toward Brookwillow. "May I introduce Brookwillow."

Diomacy(assist Brookwillow): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Or not ...

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Elf Mechanic 4 EAC14 - KAC15 | SP20/20 28/28 RP6/6 | Init +3 | Perc +11 SM +1| F +3, R +7, W +2

Making her couch following her comrades, Gil-Oloth is quite impatient to see by herself these agrarian gnolls as she's never heard of such thing.

From her couch she tries to help Hi, what a feat to transform this place in such well maintained fields.

Diplomacy (Aid): 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (14) + 0 = 14

Wayfinders

| sp 32/32 | hp 32/32 | rp 45/5 | EAC 16 KAC 17 | fort +5 ref +4, will +6 | init +7 | Perc 1 (LL/DV)/ Android cyberborn Soldier(Bombard) 4

Shelldrake looks at the fields, and looks at any high ground, wondering if that is where any ambush might come from and whether she needs to cover that area with fire - and from what vantage point.


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma
Ashtif Cloudskipper wrote:
"May I introduce Brookwillow."

Upon hearing the halfling and noticing the Starfinders, the immediately gnolls drop the grain stems that they were cutting.

"What's a brookwillow?" one of them asks hesitantly.

Gil-Oloth wrote:
From her couch she tries to help Hi, what a feat to transform this place in such well maintained fields.

"Oh?" the other gnoll replies, rather pleased with his work. "Thank you. We do what we must to survive."

He bends down to pick up some of the stems of grain that he dropped, then pauses and stands upright, looking towards the Starfinders with concern. "You're not thinking of taking them, are you?"

The android spies fields of rice and substantial clusters of mushrooms growing from the nearby hillsides.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Elf Mechanic 4 EAC14 - KAC15 | SP20/20 28/28 RP6/6 | Init +3 | Perc +11 SM +1| F +3, R +7, W +2

Taking them? From you? Why will we do that. No we are here to understand what’s going on here. How you came here, how you adapt and what do you think you could do to get out of this place.

Says Gil-Oloth from her couch before adding I’m also quite impressed to see what you have done here. Your specie is not known to behave like that.

Wayfinders

Male Ghoran (Oakling) Mystic 2 SP 14/14 HP 18/18 RP 4/4 PER +10 INIT +0 EAC 12 KAC 13 FORT +1 REF +1 WILL +6

Brookwillow gives a friendly laugh, and replies to the gnoll. "I am a Brookwillow, and Brookwillow means me! Of course we aren't particularly interested in your fields of grains, though your work here is more than admirable. We are interested in talking though."

diplomacy with assist from Gil Oloth: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 9 + 2 = 24


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma

The two gnolls seem relieved, but all they say in response is, "Come, you should speak with Corev, our mayor."

Bidding you to follow, the gnolls head further into the village. As they do, a crowd of about two dozen gnolls begin to gather to see what the fuss is all about. Most of them keep their distance near the buildings, which are relatively low and squat and formed from stacked bricks of peat. Most of the roofs have vegetation growing upon them, creating a soft, fuzzy look that is enhanced by the perpetual mist.

One of the gnolls who led from the field enters one of the squat buildings in the center of the village and quickly returns with another gnoll bearing a decorative cone on her head, her light fur contrasting with dark spots.

"I am Corev, the Mayor of our village." the gnoll with the cone announces, somewhat standoffishly. "You are unknown to me, but I have been told that you have come to talk. Speak quickly if you want me to listen to what you have to say."

Picture of Corev now on Slides. Map of town now added to slides.

Acquisitives

Female Android Exocortex Mechanic 2| SP 15/15 : HP 16/16 : RP 3/3 | EAC 14: KAC 15 | F+3 : R+5 : W-0 | INIT+3 | Darkvision | Laser Rifle 20/20
Skills:
Acro +3 : Ath+6 : Bluff -2 : Comp +8 : Cult +3 : Dip -2 : Disg -2 : Eng +7 : Intim +2 : Med +2 : Perc +5 : Phy Sci +6 : Pilot +8 : Prof +4 : Se Mot -2 : Stealth +3 : Surv 0
GM Valen wrote:
The drones turn northward and fly off toward he horizon in the direction of a waterfall in the distance.

You know, for a security drone, they were awfully helpful, don't you think?

Upon reaching the gnoll settlement, Kat quietly observes the fields and structures. She tries to assess the buildings to determine how new they are, to determine how long the gnolls have been here since being displaced by the Yetis.

Engineering: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

She greets Corev with a smile, but looks to the more tactful of the group to see if they will continue being diplomatic.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Elf Mechanic 4 EAC14 - KAC15 | SP20/20 28/28 RP6/6 | Init +3 | Perc +11 SM +1| F +3, R +7, W +2

Greetings Corev, we are new here and we are trying to understand what is going on here. We’ve learned what you have created here and we went to understand how you’ve created such a place.
But I’m sure my friend Brookwillow will explain it to you far better than me Corev.

Diplomacy (aid): 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (19) + 0 = 19

Wayfinders

Male Ghoran (Oakling) Mystic 2 SP 14/14 HP 18/18 RP 4/4 PER +10 INIT +0 EAC 12 KAC 13 FORT +1 REF +1 WILL +6

"Corev, it is a pleasure to meet you and see your village in action in your fine fields. We are new here, and wish to ask you about some of the interesting things we have encountered here. For instance, we came across some yetis not far from here. Have you met them? What can you tell us about them?"

Diplomacy with aid from Gil-Oloth: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 8 + 2 = 29


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma
Kat5e wrote:
Upon reaching the gnoll settlement, Kat quietly observes the fields and structures. She tries to assess the buildings to determine how new they are, to determine how long the gnolls have been here since being displaced by the Yetis.

The structures look relatively new, suggesting that they were built shortly after the time the yetis describing coming to occupy the village to the south.

Brookwillow of Parkerdale wrote:
"For instance, we came across some yetis not far from here. Have you met them? What can you tell us about them?"

"We have indeed encountered the yetis, unfortunately." Corev nods knowingly. "They call themselves,'Muckfurs'. We were afraid, at first, that you were from among their tribe. Thankfully, that does not seem to be the case."

"We used to dwell several hours to the south from here, but we were pushed out of our original territory by the Muckfurs." she continues. "They took our homes. They took our food. We had no choice, but to leave."

"We hid among the hills in the north, hoping to avoid them when they next came after us. Eventually, we settled here, near the river. Now we forbid our tribesfolk from heading back into the village in the south. We do not wish any further conflict with the yetis." she sighs deeply. "Yet, as we fear their return, we do have border guards to keep an eye out for yeti raiders. I am certain that the yetis will arrive here eventually. Indeed, I have directed much of my efforts to building defenses to repel them."

"There has been much talk lately among our tribe about organizing an armed resistance to the inevitable attack." she notes. "Were you to help us protect our 'fine fields', as you called them, we would be happy to share some of their yield and harvest with you in return. Perhaps, you could remain with us a few days, try our food, and then make your decision?"

Wayfinders

| sp 32/32 | hp 32/32 | rp 45/5 | EAC 16 KAC 17 | fort +5 ref +4, will +6 | init +7 | Perc 1 (LL/DV)/ Android cyberborn Soldier(Bombard) 4

"You could organise and armed resistance, but the Muckfurs seem more interested in sitting around a smokehole and eating. They don't seem to have the capacity for subsistence farming and instead more inclined to rest - all that hot fur"

"Keep them fat, dumb, and happy, and you won't need to concern yourselves with an attack. You can then spend your efforts on your agriculture, and if you keep building I am thinking you could build a mill or something - I was going to suggest a small hydro-electrical set up, but you don't seem to have much in the way of cabling or electrical devices to run. Now I think about it, the river could probably turn a bunch of fans, and if we set up some evaporative cooling with wet cloth or like materials we could probably solve the cooling of some Yetis..."

Shelldrake gets lost in thought.

When Engineering skill and Profession (Electrician) combines

Wayfinders

Male CG halfling ace pilot operative (explorer) 2 | SP 12/12 HP 14/14 | RP 4/4 | EAC 14; KAC 15 | Fort +1; Ref +7; Will +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10, SM: +8 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None

"Yes, I think we'd be happy to stay with you for a time. But we're not interested in being in the center of a war between you and the yetis. Perhaps we could negotiate a truce of some kind ..." He turns to the side and says, more quietly, "although I'll admit, it's not like they have much to offer."

"Do you guys know anything about the swamp ghost?"

Acquisitives

Female Android Exocortex Mechanic 2| SP 15/15 : HP 16/16 : RP 3/3 | EAC 14: KAC 15 | F+3 : R+5 : W-0 | INIT+3 | Darkvision | Laser Rifle 20/20
Skills:
Acro +3 : Ath+6 : Bluff -2 : Comp +8 : Cult +3 : Dip -2 : Disg -2 : Eng +7 : Intim +2 : Med +2 : Perc +5 : Phy Sci +6 : Pilot +8 : Prof +4 : Se Mot -2 : Stealth +3 : Surv 0
Ashtif Cloudskipper wrote:
"Do you guys know anything about the swamp ghost?"

"Or silver metallic flying discs?" Kat adds, trying to gauge if the security drones keep clandestine to the inhabitants of this vault.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Elf Mechanic 4 EAC14 - KAC15 | SP20/20 28/28 RP6/6 | Init +3 | Perc +11 SM +1| F +3, R +7, W +2

You know, I’m sure you could live with the Yeti. They don’t look to me that belligerent to others. Have you talk to them? May be you could live in harmony?

Says Gil-Oloth from her couch.

Dataphiles

Male NG human scholar mechanic 4 | SP 24/24 HP 28/28 | RP 5/5 | EAC 19; KAC 20; CMD 28 | Fort +4; Ref +10; Will +1 | Init: +10 | Perc: +7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None.

Mobius, still partially covered with dirt, tries to back up his companions. "Yes. They're all right. They tend to get rowdy but they're mostly harmless."

Wayfinders

Male Ghoran (Oakling) Mystic 2 SP 14/14 HP 18/18 RP 4/4 PER +10 INIT +0 EAC 12 KAC 13 FORT +1 REF +1 WILL +6

"I agree with my friends. The Muckfurs seem quite harmless. My feeling is that an agreement with them could be forged bringing peace to both of your groups. It seems their main concern is having enough to eat. Is there a possibility your collective here would be open to trade with them for for some of the food you produce here?"

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Elf Mechanic 4 EAC14 - KAC15 | SP20/20 28/28 RP6/6 | Init +3 | Perc +11 SM +1| F +3, R +7, W +2

Except for their strength, I don’t think they have quite to offer. Says Gil-Oloth to her comrade.


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma
Shelldrake wrote:
"Keep them fat, dumb, and happy, and you won't need to concern yourselves with an attack...."

Corev appears prepared to dismiss this suggestion outright, her hairs standing upright at the mention of the party's apparent defense of the Muckfurs. However, she continues to listen to the Starfinders' words. She says nothing immediately on the subject, but instead addresses those other questions raised.

Ashtif Cloudskipper wrote:
"Do you guys know anything about the swamp ghost?"

"My tribefolk rarely venture into the swamps, and then, we only do so in order to harvest the rare herbs that grow solely in the lower lying swamplands. However, despite the need for the herbs, such ventures are infrequent as the 'swamp ghost' controls that land. With the 'swamp ghost' lurking in the bog, it is not safe to be there any longer than necessary. Some of our tribefolk have never returned from the bog. I fear they were taken, murdered by the 'swamp ghost'."

Kat5e wrote:
"Or silver metallic flying discs?" Kat adds, trying to gauge if the security drones keep clandestine to the inhabitants of this vault.

"These 'metallic flying discs' that you describe do not sound familiar, but when I first awoke within this land, along with my people a few months ago, I recall hearing some sort of voice, claiming to bid us 'welcome' and offering 'release' as some kind of prize for accessing the central temple and achieving domination over the other creatures here. But, I am a peaceful gardener. My tribefolk are simple farmers as well. Most of us have little desire to fight."

Gil-Oloth wrote:
You know, I’m sure you could live with the Yeti. They don’t look to me that belligerent to others. Have you talk to them? May be you could live in harmony?

"Do you not think we tried to talk when they raided our village? Stole our harvest? Drove us from our homes?" the gnoll replies.

Mobius Caslan wrote:
Mobius, still partially covered with dirt, tries to back up his companions. "Yes. They're all right. They tend to get rowdy but they're mostly harmless."
Brookwillow of Parkerdale wrote:
"I agree with my friends. The Muckfurs seem quite harmless. My feeling is that an agreement with them could be forged bringing peace to both of your groups. It seems their main concern is having enough to eat. Is there a possibility your collective here would be open to trade with them for some of the food you produce here?"

"Harmless?! Harmless?! the gnoll repeats in disbelief. Corev seethes for a few moments, before returning to a composure closer to calm and gathered disposition that she held earlier.

"I would, of course, prefer a peaceful resolution to the problems facing my tribe, but I have doubts that what you propose would result in any good as you claim." Corev espouses.

"Perhaps, if what the mechanical woman suggested could be done..." she ponders aloud, before dismissing the idea. "But, no, the Muckfur are too selfish, too confrontational to ever allow us enough piece to even complete construction of such a feat."

"Come, remain with us a few days. Stay in our village, share our food for a da or two. Let us demonstrate our goodwill and we will, in turn, listen to your case. However, I cannot guarantee that you will see things as we do." she proposes.

Convincing Corev to enter into some sort of agreement with the Muckfurs requires two successful Diplomacy checks on two consecutive days.

Wayfinders

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CG halfling ace pilot operative (explorer) 2 | SP 12/12 HP 14/14 | RP 4/4 | EAC 14; KAC 15 | Fort +1; Ref +7; Will +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10, SM: +8 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None

Ashtif nods. "You say that you have been here only a few months. So, you aren't from this vau -- from this land originally? You don't know anything about how you got here? Was the whole tribe brought at the same time?"

Meanwhile, Junior Ambassador Calvon assists Brookwillow with diplomatic efforts over the next couple of days.

Diplomacy (day 1 assist): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Diplomacy (day 2 assist): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

Wayfinders

Male CG halfling ace pilot operative (explorer) 2 | SP 12/12 HP 14/14 | RP 4/4 | EAC 14; KAC 15 | Fort +1; Ref +7; Will +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10, SM: +8 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None

Suspiciously consistent rolls. Well, at least they weren't both 1's. :)

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Elf Mechanic 4 EAC14 - KAC15 | SP20/20 28/28 RP6/6 | Init +3 | Perc +11 SM +1| F +3, R +7, W +2

Thank you for your offer, we will!

can we use our character knowledge, or profession (like Cook), to be of help in convincing the gnolls?

Gil-Oloth is quite happy to stay in the village as she’s quite interested in this tribe of gnolls. She tries to know more about them, from where they come from, which planet or world.
She also tries to learn how they manage their daily life and how they farm to provide food here.

Acquisitives

Female Android Exocortex Mechanic 2| SP 15/15 : HP 16/16 : RP 3/3 | EAC 14: KAC 15 | F+3 : R+5 : W-0 | INIT+3 | Darkvision | Laser Rifle 20/20
Skills:
Acro +3 : Ath+6 : Bluff -2 : Comp +8 : Cult +3 : Dip -2 : Disg -2 : Eng +7 : Intim +2 : Med +2 : Perc +5 : Phy Sci +6 : Pilot +8 : Prof +4 : Se Mot -2 : Stealth +3 : Surv 0

Kat, playing back her memory of the pre-recorded greeting they received when they entered the vault, listens keenly as Ashtif asks follow up questions.

Beat me to them!


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma
Ashtif Cloudskipper wrote:
Ashtif nods. "You say that you have been here only a few months. So, you aren't from this vau -- from this land originally? You don't know anything about how you got here? Was the whole tribe brought at the same time?"

"I know that we are not native to this cavern; we've been taken from our homeland and forced to adapt to this strange and unfamiliar environment." notes Corev. "But, where our homeland is, I cannot say. [b]"None of us have any memory of a time before we awoke in this land, a few months back. Nevertheless, we have tried to make the most of have situation and worked to try and develop a sustainable agricultural existence as game animals seem to be unknown here."

"Our entire tribe became aware of our presence here at the same time." she continues. "There were over four dozen of us then, most of us adults, though we have lost some to expeditions into the 'swamp ghost' territory."

"Our village here serves our current purposes save for the lack of medicinal herbs that can only be found in the swamp." she explains. "We have even discovered that we can harvest and dry the thick layer of peat found throughout the cavern to use as a fuel alternative to wood, a scare resource here."

Kat5e wrote:
Kat, playing back her memory of the pre-recorded greeting they received when they entered the vault, listens keenly as Ashtif asks follow up questions.

"The message you have played sounds very similar to that we heard after we awoke here." affirms Corev. "The voice is certainly the same."

"As for the central temple supposedly supposedly offering freedom from the cavern as some kind of prize for achieving domination over the other residents," she concedes, "I somehow get the feeling that that must be true, although I cannot pinpoint as to how or why."

Gil-Oloth wrote:
can we use our character knowledge, or profession (like Cook), to be of help in convincing the gnolls?

No, but between Brookwillow's initial check and the pair from Ashtif, the party thinks it could convince the gnolls to form an alliance.

Over the two days, Gil-Oloth sees that the gnolls do not live off of any game animals, but instead cultivate a variety of plants and mushrooms as a substitute. She also learns that the gnolls have stumbled across some unfamiliar technologies while preparing their fields, perhaps left behind by previous residents. A few they have found uses for, but they’ve piled the others in a storage room.

Among the piles of useless items are some truly valuable treasures, including a mk 1 null-space chamber, a laser microphone, 300 credits worth of gemstones, and enough rare high-tech parts to fetch 990 credits on the open market (the items total 3 bulk).

During the party's time with the gnolls, the creature seem receptive to some sort of alliance, as the party seems to propose. However, Corev makes it clear that the gnolls would only do so as long as party could provide assurances that the yetis will leave her people in peace to live their own lives. Corev speculates that her tribe would be willing to provide occasional food shipments to the yetis if Muckfurs agree to stay entirely out of the hills unless invited. Perhaps, she further speculates, the alliance might somehow deter the threat of the 'swamp ghost' and allow her tribe to obtain the rare herbs that grow in the swamp that it needs for medicinal purposes.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Elf Mechanic 4 EAC14 - KAC15 | SP20/20 28/28 RP6/6 | Init +3 | Perc +11 SM +1| F +3, R +7, W +2

Being knowledgeable with herbs, Gil-Oloth, asks for witch plants the knoll are looking for. When her and her comrades will go to the swamp, she will looking for them and came back to give them to the tribe.

She also asks how they learn to cultivate and if Corev is some sort of shaman.

Wayfinders

Male Ghoran (Oakling) Mystic 2 SP 14/14 HP 18/18 RP 4/4 PER +10 INIT +0 EAC 12 KAC 13 FORT +1 REF +1 WILL +6

Brookwillow enjoys a bit of a rest. He misses his new Muckfur tribe friends, but doesn't tell this to the gnolls.

He attempts to be helpful where he can, including work in the fields. He also considers how he might be helpful in brokering this peace between the Muckfurs and the gnolls.

Wayfinders

| sp 32/32 | hp 32/32 | rp 45/5 | EAC 16 KAC 17 | fort +5 ref +4, will +6 | init +7 | Perc 1 (LL/DV)/ Android cyberborn Soldier(Bombard) 4

Shelldrake appreciates the hospitality but is more interested in heading out to the swamp.

Wayfinders

Male CG halfling ace pilot operative (explorer) 2 | SP 12/12 HP 14/14 | RP 4/4 | EAC 14; KAC 15 | Fort +1; Ref +7; Will +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10, SM: +8 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None

Do we see any indication that this region has game animals, or even any type of natural fauna ecosystem?

Acquisitives

Female Android Exocortex Mechanic 2| SP 15/15 : HP 16/16 : RP 3/3 | EAC 14: KAC 15 | F+3 : R+5 : W-0 | INIT+3 | Darkvision | Laser Rifle 20/20
Skills:
Acro +3 : Ath+6 : Bluff -2 : Comp +8 : Cult +3 : Dip -2 : Disg -2 : Eng +7 : Intim +2 : Med +2 : Perc +5 : Phy Sci +6 : Pilot +8 : Prof +4 : Se Mot -2 : Stealth +3 : Surv 0

Kat agrees with Shelldrake. She is restless and eager to explore the larger mystery. Privately amongst the group, she explains her feelings. "It seems to me that there is an intelligence bringing people here against their will to compete, or be experimented on. The best solution to help these people long term might be to end the experiment at the source. Once we're all free to leave, we may be able to return them to where they belong. We should maybe stay for a meal, or stock up on rations though. We don't know how long we may be locked in here."

If they do stay for a day or two:
Kat will spend the time talking amongst the locals and try toblblearn anything she can from anyone who has ventured towards the temple or swamps.


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma
Gil-Oloth wrote:

Being knowledgeable with herbs, Gil-Oloth, asks for witch plants the knoll are looking for. When her and her comrades will go to the swamp, she will looking for them and came back to give them to the tribe.

She also asks how they learn to cultivate and if Corev is some sort of shaman.

The gnolls describe an unusual, glowing plant with orange flowers, which, the elf gathers, helps the gnolls with their digestion of the rice and other staples in their seemingly vegetarian diet. She also identifies the town's sheriff, Rasptooth, as a spellcaster of some ability--the closest townsfolk to a shaman.

Ashtif Cloudskipper wrote:
Do we see any indication that this region has game animals, or even any type of natural fauna ecosystem?

No such indications.

Shelldrake wrote:
Shelldrake appreciates the hospitality but is more interested in heading out to the swamp.

One vote to head to the swamp. If there is a second, then I will move us in the direction.

Otherwise, please decide where you would like to head next. You are welcome to roleplay out your stay at with the gnolls. They are now generally friendly to the party. Their town operates smoothly and effectively. There is, I think, little more information that the party can presently obtain from the gnoll village, but if there is something you'd like to know, feel free to ask.

Wayfinders

Male Ghoran (Oakling) Mystic 2 SP 14/14 HP 18/18 RP 4/4 PER +10 INIT +0 EAC 12 KAC 13 FORT +1 REF +1 WILL +6

"Corev, we are indebted to you for your hospitality. It nears time for us to explore the swamp. We know it may be dangerous, but we must go there. It is my hope that we can come back here and report to you our findings."

Brookwillow will watch for this unusual plant the gnolls use, and try to collect some for them.

Yeah. Let's head for the swamp.


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma

Departing the gnoll's village, the party makes its way southward toward the swamp. The trip takes hours, though the party makes good time until it reaches what is the wildest section of the cavern. Here the swampy morass is a mixture of tangled vegetation, mushroom forests, grasping mud, and twisted paths. It is now evident to the party that those who travel in this area could become lost quite readily and become easy prey for whatever threats may lurk within the thick growth.

In many ways, the swamp appears to be completely natural, but, at least initially, the complete lack of animal noises or insects hints at what is likely an engineered origin. Groves of massive, vibrantly colored mushrooms as tall as oak trees grow in several places in this part of the cavern, their spores thick in the air.
The terrain is considered trackless marsh.

From time to time, even through the growth, brief, sudden flashes of light, like dull, silent lightning can be seen a considerable distance away.

Perception checks:

Ashtif, Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11
Brookwillow, Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21
Gil-Oloth, Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18
Kat5e, Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Mobius, Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Shelldrake, Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Brookwillow, Gil-Oloth, Kat5e, Mobius:
As you walk through the swamp, you catch a glimpse of what appears to be a cluster of ight sources glowing five or six dozen feet away from you among the thick vegetation. Suddenly, the lights advance rapidly, deeper into the trees, moving nearly a dozen feet per second before suddenly winking out of view.

Brookwillow and Mobius:
You hear a faint series of predatory cries in the distance, coming from the direction of the lights.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Elf Mechanic 4 EAC14 - KAC15 | SP20/20 28/28 RP6/6 | Init +3 | Perc +11 SM +1| F +3, R +7, W +2

Happy to not have to walk into the mud, Gil-Oloth is interested in the different mushrooms that grew here.
Life Science (Library Chip to take 20): 20 + 5 = 25

When she see the lights coming towards them she says from her couch. Have you seen? What do you think are these lights?


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma
Gil-Oloth wrote:
Happy to not have to walk into the mud, Gil-Oloth is interested in the different mushrooms that grew here.

The elf concludes that the occasionally clouds of spores given off by these mushrooms emit flashes of light, which would explain the flashes that the party observed. However, it would not explain the cluster of light sources she saw advancing through the growth.

Acquisitives

Female Android Exocortex Mechanic 2| SP 15/15 : HP 16/16 : RP 3/3 | EAC 14: KAC 15 | F+3 : R+5 : W-0 | INIT+3 | Darkvision | Laser Rifle 20/20
Skills:
Acro +3 : Ath+6 : Bluff -2 : Comp +8 : Cult +3 : Dip -2 : Disg -2 : Eng +7 : Intim +2 : Med +2 : Perc +5 : Phy Sci +6 : Pilot +8 : Prof +4 : Se Mot -2 : Stealth +3 : Surv 0

When the lights dart at the party, Kat levels her rifle and begins trying to track the targets with her exocortex, but finds nothing.

Gil-Oloth wrote:
Have you seen? What do you think are these lights?

"Ghosts" Kat utters quietly as she scans the area for danger. The circuits across her face glow and pulsate as she remains on high alert. She keeps her rifle at the ready.

"For those of you that breathe, it might be safer to enable your armour's environmental protection. Who knows what effects inhaling these spores could have"

Wayfinders

| sp 32/32 | hp 32/32 | rp 45/5 | EAC 16 KAC 17 | fort +5 ref +4, will +6 | init +7 | Perc 1 (LL/DV)/ Android cyberborn Soldier(Bombard) 4

Shelldrake seals her suit "Could be contact as well"

"Walk gently, appear friendly, and be wary of an ambush"

Dataphiles

Male NG human scholar mechanic 4 | SP 24/24 HP 28/28 | RP 5/5 | EAC 19; KAC 20; CMD 28 | Fort +4; Ref +10; Will +1 | Init: +10 | Perc: +7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None.

Mobius draws his rifle and starts advancing cautiously towards the lights. "Ready your weapons! I can hear creatures from where the lights are. Sounds fierce and hungry. Not sure what they are, but they are there," he shares to the group.

Acquisitives

Female Android Exocortex Mechanic 2| SP 15/15 : HP 16/16 : RP 3/3 | EAC 14: KAC 15 | F+3 : R+5 : W-0 | INIT+3 | Darkvision | Laser Rifle 20/20
Skills:
Acro +3 : Ath+6 : Bluff -2 : Comp +8 : Cult +3 : Dip -2 : Disg -2 : Eng +7 : Intim +2 : Med +2 : Perc +5 : Phy Sci +6 : Pilot +8 : Prof +4 : Se Mot -2 : Stealth +3 : Surv 0

Kat peers into the dense swamp. As she speaks her self-installed vocal modulator glitches and she takes on an Australian accent from ancient golarion.

"We're being hunted"

Wayfinders

Male Ghoran (Oakling) Mystic 2 SP 14/14 HP 18/18 RP 4/4 PER +10 INIT +0 EAC 12 KAC 13 FORT +1 REF +1 WILL +6

Brookwillow whispers into his comms, "Let's not be the hunted. Let's be the hunters. I suggest we not walk directly toward these strange lights, but instead we could follow a parallel course and try to circle around."

Brookwillow grips his spear and cautiously advances.

Wayfinders

| sp 32/32 | hp 32/32 | rp 45/5 | EAC 16 KAC 17 | fort +5 ref +4, will +6 | init +7 | Perc 1 (LL/DV)/ Android cyberborn Soldier(Bombard) 4
Kat5e wrote:


"We're being hunted"

"We're prepared"

"Survival out here depends on keeping your wits about you, and always being ready for action"

Shelldrake keeps her eyes peeled and avoids any of the obvious mushrooms.


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma

As the party prepares for potential conflict, the fog rolling through the swamp begins to thicken, obscuring even some of the larger vegetation in the area.

Perception checks:

Ashtif, Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23
Brookwillow, Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25
Gil-Oloth, Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13
Kat5e, Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Mobius, Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Shelldrake, Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20

Ashtif, Brookwillow, Mobius, Shelldrake:
You now catch a glimpse of a second cluster of light sources glowing three to four dozen feet away from you, advancing toward you from the opposite direction than the first group of lights. Within a few moments, the lights vanish.

From the direction of these new lights, a louder, predatory cry can be heard as well as the sounds of creatures in pain.

Wayfinders

| sp 32/32 | hp 32/32 | rp 45/5 | EAC 16 KAC 17 | fort +5 ref +4, will +6 | init +7 | Perc 1 (LL/DV)/ Android cyberborn Soldier(Bombard) 4

"Sound of creatures in pain ahead, and some predatory sounds - reckon that could be a trap. These lights seem more like a diversion"

Dataphiles

Male NG human scholar mechanic 4 | SP 24/24 HP 28/28 | RP 5/5 | EAC 19; KAC 20; CMD 28 | Fort +4; Ref +10; Will +1 | Init: +10 | Perc: +7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None.

"Sounds like something or someone needs help. Let's head over there." Mobius tries his best to follow the sounds and avoid being distracted by the lights.

Wayfinders

Male Ghoran (Oakling) Mystic 2 SP 14/14 HP 18/18 RP 4/4 PER +10 INIT +0 EAC 12 KAC 13 FORT +1 REF +1 WILL +6

"Please wait, Mobius. It could be dangerous to simply wander toward these noises. I suspect a trap."

Brookwillow attempts to reckon the direction the cries could be coming from, and looks for tracks or signs of some sort of animal or humanoid passing through the area.

survival: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10


Duskmire Accord 9 | Beacon Code Dilemma

The swamp’s tangled vegetation gives way and opens into a wide clearing bordered by towering, mildly luminescent mushrooms that stand over twenty feet tall. The smell of rotten flesh pervades the area, lingering in the stillness as if trapped.

The dim green light from the massive fungi illuminates several figures sitting up against one of the mushroom’s stalks.

Upon closer inspection, you identify the figures as the bodies of four dead gnolls, their bodies laid out as a warning to other trespassers. Gruesome symbols of unknown meaning have been carved into the gnolls’ chests and faces.

Medicine (DC 12) re gnoll remains:
You determine the gnolls died approximately a week ago—two of them from lethal puncture wounds in their necks and chests, but the other two with signs of internal bruising and ruptured eardrums.

Survival (DC 13) re area around mushroom stalk:
You find signs that show the gnolls were dragged to the mushroom and mutilated post mortem. In addition, there are tracks of a hoofed creature throughout the area.

Life Science or Perception (DC 18) re surrounding mushrooms:
You notice several circles of lovingly tended mushrooms, including one that has been crushed by gnoll footprints. To avoid stepping on these mushrooms, one must walk through the muddiest parts of the swamp.

Wayfinders

Male Ghoran (Oakling) Mystic 2 SP 14/14 HP 18/18 RP 4/4 PER +10 INIT +0 EAC 12 KAC 13 FORT +1 REF +1 WILL +6

perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14

Wayfinders

| sp 32/32 | hp 32/32 | rp 45/5 | EAC 16 KAC 17 | fort +5 ref +4, will +6 | init +7 | Perc 1 (LL/DV)/ Android cyberborn Soldier(Bombard) 4

Medicine 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Survival (Untrained) 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Life Science 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

Shelldrake is paying attention to the mushrooms "Hey there are several circles of lovingly tended mushrooms, including this one that has been crushed by gnoll footprints. To avoid stepping on these mushrooms, we're going to have to walk through the muddiest parts of the swamp"

"Reckon the gnolls lack of care was what got them whacked?"

Acquisitives

Female Android Exocortex Mechanic 2| SP 15/15 : HP 16/16 : RP 3/3 | EAC 14: KAC 15 | F+3 : R+5 : W-0 | INIT+3 | Darkvision | Laser Rifle 20/20
Skills:
Acro +3 : Ath+6 : Bluff -2 : Comp +8 : Cult +3 : Dip -2 : Disg -2 : Eng +7 : Intim +2 : Med +2 : Perc +5 : Phy Sci +6 : Pilot +8 : Prof +4 : Se Mot -2 : Stealth +3 : Surv 0
Shelldrake wrote:
"Reckon the gnolls lack of care was what got them whacked?"

Medicine: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Kat kneels down by the corpses to have a closer look.

"I'd say they've been here for about a week. These two have puncture wounds all over their neck and chests. These two, however, don't have any real visible injuries. Well, except for the carved up faces. Looks more like internal bruising, and blown eardrums.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Elf Mechanic 4 EAC14 - KAC15 | SP20/20 28/28 RP6/6 | Init +3 | Perc +11 SM +1| F +3, R +7, W +2

Medicine: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24
Survival (untrained): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19

I agree. Says Gil-Oloth after examining herself the corpses and the surrounding area.
She adds I think this two have been killed by some sort of sonic weapon.
Nevertheless, no “Ghost” could have done such wounds to the others. There is creatures here.

Making her couch turning around itself she asks loudly Anybody here? We want to talk!
She repeats her message in all the language she knows. Elf, Castrovelian, Bethredan, Azlanti, Abyssal, Celestial, Infernal, Draconic, Aklo, Vesk

151 to 200 of 252 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Valen's SFS 1-20 The Duskmire Accord 9 (PbP) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.