GM Rinaldo's Midnight Mirror

Game Master The Great Rinaldo!

Maps and Images


351 to 400 of 534 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

The Midnight Mirror | The Mosquito Witch | The Elven Entanglement

The Baron stands and bows slightly as Laiashi steps out, then sits back down. He seems genuinely interested in Ushi's description of the society.

At Nino's comment, he smiles and comments, "But truly, who has? For if you shed their blood, at least in the moment you did not believe them innocent."

"The truth is, things have been odd here, and perhaps a fresh perspective would be helpful. You see, I've been trying to keep it quiet, but the very shadows have been coming to life lately. It has led to an uprising among the fetchlings - I even had to dismiss most of my staff because of it. The only fetchling I could truly trust was Gavril, my houndsman. And if you haven't been warned of the disease they are calling 'Tallowthroat' yet, let me tell you: it has been striking the human population. It is possible that it only affects humans, and the nagaji would be immune, but the rest of you should be careful in town. The disease isn't ordinary, you see, but has an intelligence to it. I think it means to wipe out not only my town, but my family in particular. Perhaps you might look around, if you are the investigative sort, and see what you might learn."

DC 18 Sense Motive vs Stepan:
He seems to have become rather manic on the topic, but still seems to be telling only part of the story.
DC 12 Sense Motive vs Anya:
She has clearly heard this before, and seems not to believe all of it, but is pointedly not saying so. She is, however, concerned for Stepan.

============

Laiasi steps out of the dining hall and quietly makes her way upstairs. She finds the study locked, but the baronial bedroom not.

Faded tapestries adorn the walls of this spacious chamber and threadbare rugs cover the floor; a four-poster bed dominates the room’s center. A spiral staircase leads up to the tower room, which has been converted into a nursery with a crib. The tower room has beautiful stained-glass windows large enough for a man to walk through without crouching.

The Exchange

Female Ifrit Rogue 4 | AC: 19/14/- | HP: 30/32 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +0 (+2 to all vs fire/light) | CMB +3, CMD 17 | Init +6 | Perc +5 (+1 vs surprise)

Laiashi takes a quick look around the bedroom, knowing she likely doesn't have a lot of time.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Then she goes back to the locked study door. Pulling out a hidden set of thieves' tools, she sets to work. Because what kind of rogue would she be otherwise :)

Disable Device: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26

Grand Lodge

”Nino” | Male CN Medium Half-Orc Warpriest of Gorum 4 | HP 39/39 | AC 17, T 11, FF 16 | CMD 18 | F +6 R +2 W +6 | Init +3 | Perc +2; darkvision | Speed 20ft | Spells 1st 3/4; 2nd 2/2 | Blessings 3/3 |Fervor 3/3| Active Conditions: +4 wis.

sense motive - Stepan: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
sense motive - Anya: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

"I will be direct here because I think that we don't have time. We have encountered Ilquiss and his helpers. They have done some very strange and dangerous things. They have told us that this was done by your orders. What can you tell us about that. If you Sir are in somekinde of trouble we are here to help you. You can trust us. You can share your secrets with us." says Nino to baron.

diplomacy - Stepan: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

"Barones can you help us with that?"

diplomacy - Anya: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22


The Midnight Mirror | The Mosquito Witch | The Elven Entanglement

"Ilquiss? I have no idea who that might be. As for trouble, I've told you what I know."

DC 21 Sense Motive on Stepan:
You think he does know who Ilquiss is, but maybe not what Ilquiss has been doing. You also suspect he hasn't shared everything.
DC 12 Sense Motive on Anya:
She does not seem to recognize the name, and seems troubled by Nino's statement.

======================

Laishi makes quick work of the lock on the Baron's study. This room features a long desk and wooden cabinets full of ledgers and correspondence; it is a mess. A locked cabinet falls easily to Laiashi's pick, and reveals a single book, entitled Book of Night without Moon. Other books on the desk and side table seem to be esoterica on the Plane of Shadow and the Dark Tapestry.

The Exchange

Female Ifrit Rogue 4 | AC: 19/14/- | HP: 30/32 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +0 (+2 to all vs fire/light) | CMB +3, CMD 17 | Init +6 | Perc +5 (+1 vs surprise)

Careful not to leave signs of tampering, Laiashi leafs through the papers and flips the book open to look for evidence.

Trying to find anything that might tie the baron to the tallowthroat epidemic or Ilquiss.
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Derp.

The Exchange

M Nagaji Oracle5 HP 41/41 AC22/TC13/FF19 F+4 R+6 W+6 (+2/mind-affecting&poison) CMB+4 CMD14 Spd20ft Init+7 Perc+3 Spell Slots: 1st-4/7|2nd-5/5 |Active Buffs: N/A

Sense Motive on Stephan: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Sense Motive on Anya: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Sense Motive on Stephan: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Sense Motive on Anya: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Ushi takes a moment to moisten his throat with the water provided with his meal, hopefully covering what he imagined was the expression of someone having swallowed a frog. "Perhaps Nino was a bit more direct than I would prefer, but we have learned of some unpleasant things being done around town. If you do not know this Ilquiss, then it is as I feared, they claimed your patronage falsely. Rest assured, we will be seeking them out again to ascertain their mischeif further. I do not doubt that this epidemic is directed, but I admit to not having evidence by whom."


The Midnight Mirror | The Mosquito Witch | The Elven Entanglement
Laiashi wrote:

Careful not to leave signs of tampering, Laiashi leafs through the papers and flips the book open to look for evidence.

Trying to find anything that might tie the baron to the tallowthroat epidemic or Ilquiss.
[Dice=Perception] 1d20+5
Derp.

Let's have a Sleight of Hand check for leaving it unnoticed.

====

I'll leave time for Patros and Nino to respond.

The Exchange

Female Ifrit Rogue 4 | AC: 19/14/- | HP: 30/32 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +0 (+2 to all vs fire/light) | CMB +3, CMD 17 | Init +6 | Perc +5 (+1 vs surprise)

Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (14) + 16 = 30

Laiashi spends so much careful effort making sure her snooping goes unnoticed, she forgets to actually look for information.

(Sleight of Hand is Laiashi's specialty-- I've added to my profile a breakdown of how I'm getting that number. When I'm hiding a weapon it's a +20!)

Grand Lodge

”Nino” | Male CN Medium Half-Orc Warpriest of Gorum 4 | HP 39/39 | AC 17, T 11, FF 16 | CMD 18 | F +6 R +2 W +6 | Init +3 | Perc +2; darkvision | Speed 20ft | Spells 1st 3/4; 2nd 2/2 | Blessings 3/3 |Fervor 3/3| Active Conditions: +4 wis.

sense motive - Stepan: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
sense motive - Anya: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

"Baron we know that you know who Ilquiss is, so don't lie to us! So it is better for you that you tell us everything you know! And do it now! The sooner we start solving the problem, the better for all of us. We can save lives if we respond in time. Think of yourself and your family."

diplomacy: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

Then he turns to Anya "Anya help us reason your husband to start talking."

Grand Lodge

Male Human Swashbuckler(rondelero)3, HP 28/28, AC 20, T 16; FF 15, F +2, R +7, W +3, Init +6(+8), Perc +7

[ooc]sorty guys...been suck and now laptop is acting stupid...[/b]

We assure you, we will look into this outbreak...diplonacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26


The Midnight Mirror | The Mosquito Witch | The Elven Entanglement
Nino the Green wrote:
"Baron we know that you know who Ilquiss is, so don't lie to us! So it is better for you that you tell us everything you know! And do it now! The sooner we start solving the problem, the better for all of us. We can save lives if we respond in time. Think of yourself and your family."

Nino, that felt more like an intimidate than a diplomacy (particularly the "Do it now" part). Did you intend to come off as threatening? If so, I'll take that roll and apply it to an Intimidate check. If not, I'll let you retcon the dialogue a bit to be diplomatic.

Grand Lodge

”Nino” | Male CN Medium Half-Orc Warpriest of Gorum 4 | HP 39/39 | AC 17, T 11, FF 16 | CMD 18 | F +6 R +2 W +6 | Init +3 | Perc +2; darkvision | Speed 20ft | Spells 1st 3/4; 2nd 2/2 | Blessings 3/3 |Fervor 3/3| Active Conditions: +4 wis.

just change to "You have to do it now." And you have diplomacy :)


The Midnight Mirror | The Mosquito Witch | The Elven Entanglement

Just wanted to be sure what your intent was. ;-)

"Alright, yes, I know Ilquiss. He is working on a way to ward the town from the powers of the Shadow Plane." He sighs. "I truly know better than to bargain with fey, but I was desperate, and ... may have used the phrase 'take any actions necessary' ... to ensure the safety of my family and town. What has he done?"

The Exchange

M Nagaji Oracle5 HP 41/41 AC22/TC13/FF19 F+4 R+6 W+6 (+2/mind-affecting&poison) CMB+4 CMD14 Spd20ft Init+7 Perc+3 Spell Slots: 1st-4/7|2nd-5/5 |Active Buffs: N/A

Ushi glances at the baroness, considering his words. ”Ritual sacrifices have been performed. At least one of your subjects so far.”


The Midnight Mirror | The Mosquito Witch | The Elven Entanglement

Anya and Stepan both look horrified at this. Anya gasps, and Stepan asks, "My gods ... who?"

The Exchange

M Nagaji Oracle5 HP 41/41 AC22/TC13/FF19 F+4 R+6 W+6 (+2/mind-affecting&poison) CMB+4 CMD14 Spd20ft Init+7 Perc+3 Spell Slots: 1st-4/7|2nd-5/5 |Active Buffs: N/A

”We were not able to confirm, but I believe it was Catalina, the candlemaker. I apologize for the upset at dinner, but now we know the seriousness of these events. We were assaulted by Ilquiss and two others but failed to apprehend them. It left Nino in terrible shape.”

Grand Lodge

”Nino” | Male CN Medium Half-Orc Warpriest of Gorum 4 | HP 39/39 | AC 17, T 11, FF 16 | CMD 18 | F +6 R +2 W +6 | Init +3 | Perc +2; darkvision | Speed 20ft | Spells 1st 3/4; 2nd 2/2 | Blessings 3/3 |Fervor 3/3| Active Conditions: +4 wis.

"Is that enough to help us, so that we can help you?"


The Midnight Mirror | The Mosquito Witch | The Elven Entanglement

There is a long pause as Baron Stepan Boroi considers what you have told him. He sighs, and the look he gives to Anya is one of regret.

"I have made some terrible mistakes. I can only hope Anya can forgive me, and that you can help me set them right."

He pauses, collecting his thoughts, then explains. "I was not content to see my eldest brother, Iozif, inherit the family lands. Searching around the manor one day, I discovered an ancient mirror; but when I looked into it, rather than my own reflection, I saw a dark figure, taller than a man, with a face covered in a white mask and eyes like distant stars."

"The figure called itself Nicasor, and told me it was a shae. It said it had been an advisor to my family nearly a thousand years ago, and was imprisoned in the mirror during a revolt. During what we call the Age of Darkness, a nightshade managed to break free of the prison, leaving a small gap in the magical wards holding it together. This allowed some of the essence of the prison to leak out into Karpad, and also allowed Nicosor to be able to see out of the mirror when I looked in. He recognized a desperate face, and offered me a dark bargain."

"He agreed to help me to succeed my father as baron, and in return I agreed to allow him to switch places with me through the small magical gap. Once a decade, for one year, Nicasor would take control of my body and I would take his in the mirror prison. During the first exchange, Nicasor bound both of my brothers into the mirror, so that when I returned, I was the sole heir. I claimed they perished of a sudden illness, and was crowned Baron of Karpad when my father passed away, in no small part from grief at losing two sons."

"Of course, when I made the bargain, I had no idea I would fall in love, or that my wife would bear a son mere months before I was due to give Nicasor his next year of control. I fear for what that creature might do to my wife and my son, so when the time came, I refused to enter the mirror."

"Now, shadow essence appears to be infecting the town, and a disease is killing my people horribly. Hoping to keep the treacherous shadows of night at bay, I made a deal with the fae, Ilquiss. He told me he could ward the town against the shadows. I wanted to believe him, and gave him permission to do whatever he needed in order to save Karpad and my family. That was clearly a mistake."

He looks at you with pleading eyes. "Will you help me find a way to end this nightmare? And maybe even free my brothers from the prison I sent them into?"

The Exchange

Female Ifrit Rogue 4 | AC: 19/14/- | HP: 30/32 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +0 (+2 to all vs fire/light) | CMB +3, CMD 17 | Init +6 | Perc +5 (+1 vs surprise)

Laiashi returns to the table mid-story, revealing nothing of what she may or may not have found. Clearly, she needn't have left. She raises her eyebrows more and more at these revelations. "So... so you are responsible for this. One way or another, anyway. We'll help, but... I don't know if I have the skillset for this. I don't do magic."

Grand Lodge

”Nino” | Male CN Medium Half-Orc Warpriest of Gorum 4 | HP 39/39 | AC 17, T 11, FF 16 | CMD 18 | F +6 R +2 W +6 | Init +3 | Perc +2; darkvision | Speed 20ft | Spells 1st 3/4; 2nd 2/2 | Blessings 3/3 |Fervor 3/3| Active Conditions: +4 wis.

"Before we do anything. I saw that you have a magical sword in the armory. May I borrow it for this mission? I'll get it back to you when we're done." asks Nino.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Swashbuckler(rondelero)3, HP 28/28, AC 20, T 16; FF 15, F +2, R +7, W +3, Init +6(+8), Perc +7

We will do what we can...pray that that is enough.

The Exchange

M Nagaji Oracle5 HP 41/41 AC22/TC13/FF19 F+4 R+6 W+6 (+2/mind-affecting&poison) CMB+4 CMD14 Spd20ft Init+7 Perc+3 Spell Slots: 1st-4/7|2nd-5/5 |Active Buffs: N/A

Ushi falls back in his seat at the revelation, placing his gloved hands together as reality is processed. "This is a grave situation. I can only hope my studies have prepared me to deal with such an artifact. I have utmost faith in my companions martial prowess, so we shall return to where Ilquiss was last known to be and see what can be found. Before that, I should like to examine the mirror. Where is it now?"


The Midnight Mirror | The Mosquito Witch | The Elven Entanglement

"My library and research materials are yours - I will share everything I know. And if you go into the mirror to end this, you may of course borrow my family sword."

The mirror itself is in one of the vaults under the manor. He uses his key to open it, passing by several other doors. The mirror sits in a ritual circle of silver runes, with an everburning torch at each cardinal direction. A picture of the mirror is now on the slideshow.

=====================

For agreeing to help, you successfully move from Part 1 to Part 2 of the module! ;-)

First thing is to learn what you can about the mirror. Each of you gets to make all four of the following knowledge checks (though only those you are trained in), gaining a +5 for making use of Stepan's library and his notes. I will consider all of the checks to determine what information you gain. The checks are: Arcana, History, Planes, and Religion.

The Exchange

M Nagaji Oracle5 HP 41/41 AC22/TC13/FF19 F+4 R+6 W+6 (+2/mind-affecting&poison) CMB+4 CMD14 Spd20ft Init+7 Perc+3 Spell Slots: 1st-4/7|2nd-5/5 |Active Buffs: N/A

Ushi delves into the notes with absolute relish, reading especially notable sections multiple times in his study. He inspects the mirror and its accoutrements as best he can with his limited divinations. Comprehend Languages and Identify as needed.

Knowledge Arcana: 1d20 + 11 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 11 + 5 = 28
Knowledge History: 1d20 + 11 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 11 + 5 = 35
Knowledge Planes: 1d20 + 11 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 11 + 5 = 17
Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 11 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 11 + 5 = 32

Relentless in his desire to know more, Ushi alters fate to better suit the party's need.

Knowledge Planes Folio Reroll: 1d20 + 11 + 5 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 11 + 5 + 5 = 36

Not the wisest idea, but it's in character for him. Hope he doesn't biff an important save!


The Midnight Mirror | The Mosquito Witch | The Elven Entanglement

I'll go ahead and let you know that the rolls all go toward the same knowledge, so that 35 on History was your score. Go ahead and keep your reroll.

And, in fact, that 35 completes the entire research section, so no other rolls are needed.

In his element, Ushi goes through the various books in the Boroi library with gusto. With everyone else bringing him notes and references as needed, he quickly puts together the available information:

"Midnight mirrors" are magical prisons used by the church of Zon-Kuthon to punish those who offend the church and its god. Each is an extraplanar prison within a mirror in which the prisoners never age and are trapped for an eternity of torment.

The midnight mirror in the Boroi family’s possession was broken centuries ago, and now functions differently than normal. The command word to retrieve a prisoner from the plane no longer works, and the mirror leaks shadow essence from the Plane of Shadow into the Material Plane.

Unlike a normal midnight mirror, the broken specimen in the basement of Boroi Manor allows two willing subjects on opposite sides of the mirror to trade bodies (as the magic jar spell) by simultaneously touching the mirror’s surface. Such a switch lasts indefinitely, or until the two subjects switch souls again through the same process.

The only way to destroy the midnight mirror is to enter it and kill the physical manifestation of the magic item’s consciousness with a shard of itself from the Material Plane. Doing so will cause the prison plane to break apart and disgorge all living creatures and items originally from the Material Plane through the shattered mirror back to their plane of origin.

The baron gives you a shard of the cracked mirror to take with you. The shard functions as an improvised light weapon dealing 1d4 damage. When used against the Heart, the shard instead functions as a +1 bane dagger, and the wielder takes no penalties for using an improvised weapon.

He also allows you to borrow the magic longsword and dagger from his armory. Both are +1 weapons with no other enchantments.

You give the mirror a final inspection as you make your preparations. Stepan says, "You understand that if I use the command to imprison you in the mirror, the only way out is for you to destroy the heart? I won't be able to retrieve you."

Since you haven't had any encounters today, I assume you are all prepared to go right in. Let me know if that is not the case.

Grand Lodge

”Nino” | Male CN Medium Half-Orc Warpriest of Gorum 4 | HP 39/39 | AC 17, T 11, FF 16 | CMD 18 | F +6 R +2 W +6 | Init +3 | Perc +2; darkvision | Speed 20ft | Spells 1st 3/4; 2nd 2/2 | Blessings 3/3 |Fervor 3/3| Active Conditions: +4 wis.

Nino is ready

The Exchange

M Nagaji Oracle5 HP 41/41 AC22/TC13/FF19 F+4 R+6 W+6 (+2/mind-affecting&poison) CMB+4 CMD14 Spd20ft Init+7 Perc+3 Spell Slots: 1st-4/7|2nd-5/5 |Active Buffs: N/A

Ilquiss is still a loose end, but dealing with the mirror is likely more important.

The Exchange

Female Ifrit Rogue 4 | AC: 19/14/- | HP: 30/32 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +0 (+2 to all vs fire/light) | CMB +3, CMD 17 | Init +6 | Perc +5 (+1 vs surprise)

"Oh. Killing a thing. That, I can do." Laiashi takes a deep breath. Once we go in, there's no coming out until we kill the thing. "I'm ready."

I'm good with daggers, but should we wield the shard openly in there, or keep it hidden it until it's needed? I'm really good at hiding things.


The Midnight Mirror | The Mosquito Witch | The Elven Entanglement
Ushi Goroshi wrote:
Ilquiss is still a loose end, but dealing with the mirror is likely more important.

There is also Gavril's request that you investigate the disappearance of his missing paramour, Irini. Anya actually offered to pay you to determine the cause of the disappearances in town.

Stepan is eager for you to go into the mirror, but you can decide whether that should come before or after you do the other tasks (if you intend to).

The Exchange

M Nagaji Oracle5 HP 41/41 AC22/TC13/FF19 F+4 R+6 W+6 (+2/mind-affecting&poison) CMB+4 CMD14 Spd20ft Init+7 Perc+3 Spell Slots: 1st-4/7|2nd-5/5 |Active Buffs: N/A

"Best to keep it hidden, lest it be targeted before we are aware of the enemy." Ushi advises Laiashi. "I cannot say which is the greater threat to the town, this darkness or Ilquiss and his agents. If we enter now, they may harm the townsfolk further. What do you think, Patros?"

Grand Lodge

”Nino” | Male CN Medium Half-Orc Warpriest of Gorum 4 | HP 39/39 | AC 17, T 11, FF 16 | CMD 18 | F +6 R +2 W +6 | Init +3 | Perc +2; darkvision | Speed 20ft | Spells 1st 3/4; 2nd 2/2 | Blessings 3/3 |Fervor 3/3| Active Conditions: +4 wis.

"If I may, I think tha mirror is greater threat so let's face it first."

The Exchange

M Nagaji Oracle5 HP 41/41 AC22/TC13/FF19 F+4 R+6 W+6 (+2/mind-affecting&poison) CMB+4 CMD14 Spd20ft Init+7 Perc+3 Spell Slots: 1st-4/7|2nd-5/5 |Active Buffs: N/A

"Very well." Ushi turns to the baron. "We will do our best to return your brothers safely. I cannot say what will happen to your estate if we do, as we will have to speak the truth. Whomever remains in charge of this land will have an opportunity to continue relations with our society. I hope they shall be good relations."


The Midnight Mirror | The Mosquito Witch | The Elven Entanglement

Once you all signal readiness, Stepan has you touch the mirror as he chants the words that activate its power. The surface of the glass suddenly becomes freezing to the touch, and before you can react, you are pulled in.

Once you get over the initial shock of the transition, you take in the room. A chain-bound mirror, identical to that in the basement vault of Boroi Manor, stands unsupported in a small, stone room. Looking back, you see the Boroi basement, Stepan and Anya looking at you with a mix of fear and hope.

The frigid air is thick with a near impenetrable darkness. The only source of light comes from within the mirror itself, the flickering flames from the ring of torches on the other side casting a pale silver, as though the illumination had to strain the color from itself to penetrate the darkness here.

Realizing that Patros will be unable to see without a light source, Ushi and Nino both try to cast a Light spell, and find that doing so is difficult, requiring a level of concentration they normally do not need for such a simple spell. Once they succeed, you find the spell much less effective than usual.

They then try to see any magic in the area. Casting Detect Magic is as easy as usual, and immediately reveals the problem: the entire area is suffused with shadow essence.

So you have entered what appears to be a demiplane pinched off from the Plane of Shadow. The effects are:
1. There is no natural light. All forms of light (magical or mundane) only penetrate half the usual distance. Darkvision functions normally. Even with light, there is no color, much as you would see with darkvision.
2. Magic with the "light" descriptor requires a concentration check (DC 20 + Spell Level) to cast. A failed check expends the spell with no effect. Obviously with cantrips you can retry until you succeed, which is why I handwaved it above.
3. Magic with the "shadow" descriptor or subschool are enhanced. If any of you have such spells, let me know.
4. The temperature hovers around freezing. For a short period this won't bother you, but if you stay here long enough you might start suffering penalties from the cold.

As you look around the chamber, you notice a slight movement in the walls ... they undulate slightly with a slow rhythm that reminds you of breathing. Examining the walls, they seem to have a moist, mealy texture. A short hall leads to a door, analogous to the door into the vault holding the Material Plane side of the mirror.

Grand Lodge

”Nino” | Male CN Medium Half-Orc Warpriest of Gorum 4 | HP 39/39 | AC 17, T 11, FF 16 | CMD 18 | F +6 R +2 W +6 | Init +3 | Perc +2; darkvision | Speed 20ft | Spells 1st 3/4; 2nd 2/2 | Blessings 3/3 |Fervor 3/3| Active Conditions: +4 wis.

"Guys, are we ready!?"
Nino takes his greatsword.
He approaches the door looks carefully and then if he sees no traps opens it.

perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

The Exchange

M Nagaji Oracle5 HP 41/41 AC22/TC13/FF19 F+4 R+6 W+6 (+2/mind-affecting&poison) CMB+4 CMD14 Spd20ft Init+7 Perc+3 Spell Slots: 1st-4/7|2nd-5/5 |Active Buffs: N/A

"Lead on, Nino. We should not waste time."

The Exchange

Female Ifrit Rogue 4 | AC: 19/14/- | HP: 30/32 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +0 (+2 to all vs fire/light) | CMB +3, CMD 17 | Init +6 | Perc +5 (+1 vs surprise)

Before entering:
Sleight of Hand (stash the mirror shard), take 10: 10 + 16 = 26
+4 if it's considered a weapon

Laiashi's extraplanar eyes adjust easily to the inky blackness, but she can feel that this darkness is somehow thicker than most. Seeing her allies' weakened light spells confirms this. The darkness is palpable-- and cold, so very cold. She hugs herself and shivers. I am NOT dressed for this at all.

She reaches behind her head, grabs the leather collar of her traveling clothes, and pulls it over her head, which stretches in her hands and becomes a heavy fur-lined hood. Her leathers thicken and elongate down her arms and legs, turning into a full suit of cold-weather clothing. "My kind," she says by way of explanation, "is not meant for the cold. Okay, ready."

Go, sleeves of many garments! Also, does anyone else want the +1 dagger? I'd certainly like it, but since I already have the shard I didn't want to hog all the toys.


The Midnight Mirror | The Mosquito Witch | The Elven Entanglement

Laiashi, Sleeves of Many Garments is an illusion, not a transmutation. It can make your clothes LOOK like cold-weather gear, but it doesn't add any protection.

Seeing no traps on the door, Nino opens it. The shelves of this disused room are full of empty bottles, bones, and implements of torture. Two doors stand in the center of the north and west walls, the former adjacent to a set of stairs leading up. An iron maiden stands in the eastern corner of the chamber.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Swashbuckler(rondelero)3, HP 28/28, AC 20, T 16; FF 15, F +2, R +7, W +3, Init +6(+8), Perc +7

I'll take the dagger as a backup...just in case

Patros fumbles in his pouch and brings out his glowing stone.ioun torch

Let's go...this cold is biting... he says, doing up his jacket a bit higher.

The Exchange

M Nagaji Oracle5 HP 41/41 AC22/TC13/FF19 F+4 R+6 W+6 (+2/mind-affecting&poison) CMB+4 CMD14 Spd20ft Init+7 Perc+3 Spell Slots: 1st-4/7|2nd-5/5 |Active Buffs: N/A

”The torture device makes me enjoy this place even less, if that is possible.” Ushi complains aloud, before weaving his detection cantrip to sweep for magic auras.

Detect magic through the room, in case something registers.

Grand Lodge

”Nino” | Male CN Medium Half-Orc Warpriest of Gorum 4 | HP 39/39 | AC 17, T 11, FF 16 | CMD 18 | F +6 R +2 W +6 | Init +3 | Perc +2; darkvision | Speed 20ft | Spells 1st 3/4; 2nd 2/2 | Blessings 3/3 |Fervor 3/3| Active Conditions: +4 wis.

Nino enters the room.
Looks around one more time and if nothing interesting is there he opens next door. when others are in the torture room

perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13


The Midnight Mirror | The Mosquito Witch | The Elven Entanglement

Opening the next door reveals a series of six five-foot-square alcoves branching off a thirty-foot hallway. Within each stands a six-foot tall sarcophagus of the same shadowy substance as the walls and floors of the chamber.

Staring back at Nino are a pair of skeletal snakes with humanoid heads. They make no noise and don't move other than to stare at him with their blank eye sockets.

You haven't entered the crypt yet and they haven't attacked, but you are all aware of each other. Nino moved himself to the door, everyone else is still back in the mirror chamber. To make the check below, you must enter the torture room so you can see into the crypt.

DC 13 Knowledge (arcana):
These are "necrophidiuses," and despite their appearance, are not undead but instead constructs. As such they have the usual construct traits and are resistant to physical damage that is not bludgeoning.
With a DC 18, you may pick one of the below spoilers. With DC 23 open both.
Special abilities:
Before attacking, a necrophidius will usually attempt to daze its opponents with a mesmerizing "dance of death".
Special attacks:
The bite of the necrophidius can paralyze you. This is a supernatural, not a poison effect.

The Exchange

M Nagaji Oracle5 HP 41/41 AC22/TC13/FF19 F+4 R+6 W+6 (+2/mind-affecting&poison) CMB+4 CMD14 Spd20ft Init+7 Perc+3 Spell Slots: 1st-4/7|2nd-5/5 |Active Buffs: N/A

Knowledge: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28

Ushi follows into the crypt, tilting his head curiously at the guardians. ”Careful Nino. They are necrophidius constructs, with paralyzing bites.” Waiting a moment to see if they advance, he makes sure not to appear threatening. ”It looks like they guard the room rather than the complex. Do you need to cast spells before engaging? Blunt weapons are most effective.”

The Exchange

Female Ifrit Rogue 4 | AC: 19/14/- | HP: 30/32 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +0 (+2 to all vs fire/light) | CMB +3, CMD 17 | Init +6 | Perc +5 (+1 vs surprise)

A bundled-up Laiashi raises her eyebrows. "You sure seem to know a lot about a lot," she says to Ushi. "It comes in handy, I'll say that." She draws a pair of daggers from-- it's not clear where-- which become red-hot in her hands. The familiar glow of them can barely be seen in the inky blackness, but she can feel their comforting heat. "Ready when you are."

Spending a swift action each round to use my Scorching Weapons feat.


The Midnight Mirror | The Mosquito Witch | The Elven Entanglement

Laiashi, did you intentionally leave your token in the mirror room, or did you intend to move into the torture room?

Ushi:
You didn't mention the other special ability, but your knowledge check was high enough to get both. Did you realize that?

The Exchange

M Nagaji Oracle5 HP 41/41 AC22/TC13/FF19 F+4 R+6 W+6 (+2/mind-affecting&poison) CMB+4 CMD14 Spd20ft Init+7 Perc+3 Spell Slots: 1st-4/7|2nd-5/5 |Active Buffs: N/A

”The greatest power in this world is knowledge. It brings you opportunity, wealth, and victory.” The pride in Ushi’ tone is evident to all. ”Fail to account for one detail, and your negotiation will fail or your enemy will have the crucial second needed to defeat you. I hope that my studies bring us safely out of this shadow realm, just as I hope that your sword arms bring down our foes. Preferably before they can scuff my armor.” Waiting for his allies to be prepared, he adds. ”One fact to remember, these constructs can enthrall with their movements. If you can avoid looking at them while you fight, it may help prevent you from falling victim.” Ushi closes his eyes to attempt to guard himself against the dance.

Good point GM, added that in.

The Exchange

Female Ifrit Rogue 4 | AC: 19/14/- | HP: 30/32 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +0 (+2 to all vs fire/light) | CMB +3, CMD 17 | Init +6 | Perc +5 (+1 vs surprise)

Nope, just hadn't moved myself. Map updated.


The Midnight Mirror | The Mosquito Witch | The Elven Entanglement

Need to hear from Patros, but what is your plan here?

Grand Lodge

Male Human Swashbuckler(rondelero)3, HP 28/28, AC 20, T 16; FF 15, F +2, R +7, W +3, Init +6(+8), Perc +7

It woukd be a tough fight in a small room. Maybe draw one out and tackle it that way? can someone move my token next to Nino? on phone right now

Grand Lodge

”Nino” | Male CN Medium Half-Orc Warpriest of Gorum 4 | HP 39/39 | AC 17, T 11, FF 16 | CMD 18 | F +6 R +2 W +6 | Init +3 | Perc +2; darkvision | Speed 20ft | Spells 1st 3/4; 2nd 2/2 | Blessings 3/3 |Fervor 3/3| Active Conditions: +4 wis.

"I don't have blunt weapon! What shall we do?"

Grand Lodge

”Nino” | Male CN Medium Half-Orc Warpriest of Gorum 4 | HP 39/39 | AC 17, T 11, FF 16 | CMD 18 | F +6 R +2 W +6 | Init +3 | Perc +2; darkvision | Speed 20ft | Spells 1st 3/4; 2nd 2/2 | Blessings 3/3 |Fervor 3/3| Active Conditions: +4 wis.

"I will attack and you cover me and hope that I will not be paralyzed!"

Nino holds firmly his greatsword, steps into the room and attacks the red snake.

mwk greatsword power attack, Furious Focus: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

damage: 2d6 + 6 + 6 ⇒ (3, 1) + 6 + 6 = 16

351 to 400 of 534 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Rinaldo's Midnight Mirror All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.