Flash's Fire Starters

Game Master AFlashInTime

Stepping into the Dawn of Flame Adventure Path


501 to 550 of 674 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

Female N korasha lashunta wild warden soldier (armor storm) 2 | SP 14/14 HP 18/18 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 18 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +2 | Init: +2 | Perc:-1, SM: -1 | Speed 25ft | Active conditions: none.

"Well, I hate to go through people's personal possessions, but we need to find out what happened here." Nomyra opens one of the footlockers.


Non-binary NG companion android scholar envoy 2 | SP 12/12 HP 16/16 | RP 3/3 | EAC 13; KAC 14 | Fort +0; Ref +5; Will +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5, SM: +3; darkvision (60ft), low-light vision | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: -

"It appears as though whoever these items might belong to is no longer able to make use of them." Puzzle joins Nomyra in searching the beds and footlockers.


Male Kasatha Ace Pilot Biohacker/2 | SP: 12/12 | HP: 16/16 | RP: 4/4 | EAC:13 KAC:14 | Fort +3/Ref +2/Will +3 | Init +2 | Perception +7

Vedrir uses his magnetic boots to keep steady and helps Nomyra to open the lockers.

"I would love to find some more detailed log. As at the moment it is very chaotic."

Says Kasatha looking through the holes in the hull at the vast space.

Wayfinders

Male Tiefling Witchwarper SP 12/14 HP 16/16 | RP 3/3 | EAC 12; KAC 13 | Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +3 | Init: +1 | Perc: +1 (Darkvision)

Seeing other people go for the lockers Wyrd sends out his senses to see if he can pick up anything out of the ordinary

Casting detect magic


Fire Starters Loot

The party rummages through the lockers.

Most are unlocked and empty, but a few are locked. After a few moments disabling the relatively simple locks, the party finds the following:

Locker 1: Several garments woven with metal and composite. A set of manacles. A holoskin.
Locker 2: A spell ampule of remove condition (that Wyrd finds). A bottle of aged azer fire brandy (worth 250 credits).
Locker 3: A small platinum pendant depicting a marid (a water genie) and a dolphin (worth 250 credits).

No logs, datapads, or records of any kind can be found in the room.


Non-binary NG companion android scholar envoy 2 | SP 12/12 HP 16/16 | RP 3/3 | EAC 13; KAC 14 | Fort +0; Ref +5; Will +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5, SM: +3; darkvision (60ft), low-light vision | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: -

Once the crew have finished rummaging through the crew quarters, Puzzle moves to open the next door.

Perception at door before opening: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Wayfinders

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Tiefling Witchwarper SP 12/14 HP 16/16 | RP 3/3 | EAC 12; KAC 13 | Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +3 | Init: +1 | Perc: +1 (Darkvision)

Holding up the pendant and the dolphin.

"This will look nice back on the ACN-1 and would make for a nice present for Alice"

"...at least until we sell it because we need the money for food...I'm sure Alice will understand...'


Fire Starters Loot

Puzzle doesn't hear anything at the door before they open it.

Rolls

Spoiler:

Vedrir Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Puzzle Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Wyrd Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18
Nomyra Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3
Kit Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Inside, the party finds a bathroom built to accomodate people sharing divided space. Toilets share stalls with sonic sinks, mirrors, and sonic showers to allow multipurpose use.

With Kit's knowledge of Engineering, he surmises this might have been designed by creatures lacking biological needs, due to the how all of the room's elements have been installed close together. Wyrd is aware that, given the context, the most likely candidate is an outsider.

A small, empty closet is in the back of the room.

Wayfinders

Male Tiefling Witchwarper SP 12/14 HP 16/16 | RP 3/3 | EAC 12; KAC 13 | Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +3 | Init: +1 | Perc: +1 (Darkvision)

"Well...this isn't ominous at all..." Wyrd mentions as he enters the tiny bath room and he can feel his skin stand up all over his body

He takes a big sigh before saying
"Well, it seems there's nothing left for us to investigate"
and looking more closely inside the empty closet (and the rest of the room)

Casting detect magic and taking a closer look around the room

"Shall we contact the Station and have them prepare for towing the ship to one of their docks?"


Fire Starters Loot

Wyrd doesn't detect any magic in the room.

Kit was able to get one functioning engine online through Engineering checks in the bridge. You can actually pilot the Breath of Embers, albeit slowly, back to the station yourselves.


Female N korasha lashunta wild warden soldier (armor storm) 2 | SP 14/14 HP 18/18 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 18 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +2 | Init: +2 | Perc:-1, SM: -1 | Speed 25ft | Active conditions: none.

"I wish we could have found out more. Something very strange was going on here."


CG male space goblin mechanic (exocortex) 2 | SP 14/14, HP 14/14, RP 4/4 | EAC 14, KAC 15 | F+4, R+6, W+0 | Speed 35 ft., Init +3 | Perc +5 (Darkvision), SM +0 | Rifle battery: 20/20, spare: 20/20, 20/20, 20/20 | Current conditions:

"Meh. Fancy ship fancy. Let's go back, get lunch! Dinner? Er...whatever time it is." Kit heads for the bridge, ready to baby the ship back to dock.


Non-binary NG companion android scholar envoy 2 | SP 12/12 HP 16/16 | RP 3/3 | EAC 13; KAC 14 | Fort +0; Ref +5; Will +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5, SM: +3; darkvision (60ft), low-light vision | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: -

"This is most peculiar. All this space on board and only a handful of crew. We must have missed something, but I have no idea what it is," the android says.

Puzzle looks around the room with the bunks, trying to find the damaged area/s that had caused the room to become depressurised amd any clues to what had caused the damage.

Perception if needed:

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

Should they fail to uncover anything further, Puzzle joins the others in the process of returning the ACN-1 and the Breath of Embers to the Station.


Fire Starters Loot

Kit and Puzzle (and anyone else who looked) would have noticed several small perforations running along the outer wall. Such perforations could have been caused by a coil gun or similar starship weapon, but you don't recall the fire whale having any such weapon - natural or otherwise - that would have made such a hole.

-----------------------------------------------

With some of the crew returning to the ACN-1 and others remaining on the Breath of Embers to pilot it back to Far Portal Station, the trip back is slow but uneventful. As you disembark back on the station, excitement and relief is in the air as the scientists on the station gather to hear your discoveries.

Stationmaster Jori greets you upon your return. "It's so good you're back safely! ALICE kept us informed of your wellbeing while you were on the ship, but there's nothing like hearing what happened first hand. What did you find? We're all so eagar to learn about this vessel!"

Rolls

Spoiler:

Culture: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Vedrir Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
Puzzle Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Wyrd Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
Nomyra Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (14) - 1 = 13
Kit Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Culture2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

Puzzle

Spoiler:

You remember from your cultural training that while your group agreed to bring the ship back to the station (along with any surviving crew members) for study, your agreement/discussion with Jori (way back on post #78) said nothing about ownership of the ship. If you were to press a claim on the Breath of Embers, the starship would be legally yours.


Non-binary NG companion android scholar envoy 2 | SP 12/12 HP 16/16 | RP 3/3 | EAC 13; KAC 14 | Fort +0; Ref +5; Will +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5, SM: +3; darkvision (60ft), low-light vision | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: -

"Kit, how much work would it take to get the Breath of Embers back in shape?" Puzzle asks the goblin during the return journey.

"I ask because, although we agreed to assist the Station scientists in gaining access to the ship for further study, by virtue of the edicts pertaining to the salvage of abandoned vessels we are technically the legal owners of the ship should we wish to press a claim." the android continues, now addressing the whole party,

Wayfinders

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Tiefling Witchwarper SP 12/14 HP 16/16 | RP 3/3 | EAC 12; KAC 13 | Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +3 | Init: +1 | Perc: +1 (Darkvision)

Wyrd eyes light up at the thought of being the owner of a (part of) a second ship

"Now..that would be a nice souvenir for Alice"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG male space goblin mechanic (exocortex) 2 | SP 14/14, HP 14/14, RP 4/4 | EAC 14, KAC 15 | F+4, R+6, W+0 | Speed 35 ft., Init +3 | Perc +5 (Darkvision), SM +0 | Rifle battery: 20/20, spare: 20/20, 20/20, 20/20 | Current conditions:

Lol. A pet ship for Alice.

"Um...Only weird jerks on board. Seems like everyone else ditched it or got turned to ash. It very pretty ship, though!"


CG male space goblin mechanic (exocortex) 2 | SP 14/14, HP 14/14, RP 4/4 | EAC 14, KAC 15 | F+4, R+6, W+0 | Speed 35 ft., Init +3 | Perc +5 (Darkvision), SM +0 | Rifle battery: 20/20, spare: 20/20, 20/20, 20/20 | Current conditions:
PU-34LE "Puzzle" wrote:

"Kit, how much work would it take to get the Breath of Embers back in shape?" Puzzle asks the goblin during the return journey.

"I ask because, although we agreed to assist the Station scientists in gaining access to the ship for further study, by virtue of the edicts pertaining to the salvage of abandoned vessels we are technically the legal owners of the ship should we wish to press a claim." the android continues, now addressing the whole party,

Kit shrugs. "It not too too bad. It take time, though. 'Specially the engines. Gotta see if any other mean jerks hiding in there, then gotta fix."


Female N korasha lashunta wild warden soldier (armor storm) 2 | SP 14/14 HP 18/18 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 18 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +2 | Init: +2 | Perc:-1, SM: -1 | Speed 25ft | Active conditions: none.

"A second ship would let us expand the business. We could do multiple jobs at once."

Wayfinders

Male Tiefling Witchwarper SP 12/14 HP 16/16 | RP 3/3 | EAC 12; KAC 13 | Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +3 | Init: +1 | Perc: +1 (Darkvision)

Wyrd seems to refocus himself

"..but you asked what we encountered inside. "

Wyrd ponders for a moment

"Mostly outsiders that either went crazy some time ago and couldn't be reasoned with or that got turned into a pile of ash. Very little information on why those things happened to them though..."


Non-binary NG companion android scholar envoy 2 | SP 12/12 HP 16/16 | RP 3/3 | EAC 13; KAC 14 | Fort +0; Ref +5; Will +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5, SM: +3; darkvision (60ft), low-light vision | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: -

"Unfortunately what we did discover answered very little and has only led to more questions," Puzzle adds to Wyrd's summary. "Particularly, why those we encountered seemed so unwilling to reason."

The android frowns. "Not to mention the structure of their civilisation - or perhaps the importance placed on their mission. On that note, please make sure that no one messes with the collars. Showing them the video message might prove particularly effective at tempering curiosity." At mention of the restraint, Puzzle's expression is one of clear distaste.


Fire Starters Loot

Jori nods upon hearing your explanation. "There's a lot here that doesn't make sense. Most of the scientific equipment here isn't designed for forensic work on a ship, but we can work on seeing if we can learn any more."

"What a day. Thank you for everything you've done for the Station. While you've certainly completed your initial delivery for us, I would ask that you stick around for another day while we do some initial analysis on the Breath of Embers. Everything will be on us, and we'll probably have another... let's call it a delivery job, for you tomorrow."

Jori smiles. "Get some rest. If you're still here, I'll see you in the Station's executive office tomorrow at 0700 Pact World Standard Time. I hope you can make it."

----End of Part 1, Book 1-----


Fire Starters Loot

Following Jori's instructions, you arrive at the Far Portal Stationmaster's executive office a few minutes before 0700. After conferring briefly with a male human assistant, you are buzzed into moderately sized office. You recognize the backdrop behind the desk from your previous communications with Far Portal Station onboard the ACN-1.

Inside the room, Jori stands and motions to a table large enough for six people with a variety of pastries and bagels in the middle with coffee and tea on a smaller table to the side. A broad-shouldered korasha lashunta woman with dark purple hair, wearing utilitarian gray coveralls with lots of pockets, is already seated at the larger table, sipping on a dark drink. See slides.

"Good morning, everyone," Jori says. "I'm glad you made it. Have a seat, and help yourselves. If there's one thing we do well here, other than science, it's coffee, and we go through a lot of it."

As you begin to walk toward the table, the lashunta stands. Jori continues, "I'd also like to introduce you to Dr. Taeress Suloro. Dr. Suloro is one of our researchers here, and she has an offer I thought you'd be interested in hearing."

The lashunta stands and approaches Nomyra, her hand extended for shaking.

"Good morning. I'm Dr. Taeress Suloro. I specialize in magnetosphere monitoring and solor weather prediction, with... well, let's just say I make sure nobody gets cooked."

After you all have time to make introductions and get seated, she continues, continuing to speak primarily to Nomyra.

"Remember about this time yesterday when that psychic wave of... like it felt like you were in an opening airlock without a suit?" She points to her antennae.

"Listen, lashuntas - and other psychic races - in the Burning Archipeligo feel similar psychic pressure all the time, but never anywhere near that strong, strong enough to be felt even by mute races. Combine that with the Far Portal going for a dip, and.." She grimaces. "And it's my professional opinion that things here have gotten deeply weird."

"I've already secured Jori's permission to serve as the Far Portal Station's representative to the scientific community based in Burning Archipeligo and present all of the data from both the Far Portal going under and this ship you all brought back, as they're able to exploit it."

"The catch is that my scientific contacts that aren't already on this station are based in Asanatown in the Burning Archipeligo, and it seems like yesterday - right after the big terror hit - the political situation in Asanatown went from unstable to very unstable. There're reports of riots, riot police, maybe even some organization trying to take control of the place. I haven't been able to reach any of my contacts to figure out what exactly is going on."

"I grew up in Asanatown, and I know that a lot of the lashuntas back home are... very stressed by the psychic pressure they've been feeling there. If they felt what we felt, that might've been enough to push some over the edge. But if what we felt means something, if it was caused by something, or maybe even someone, I mean who knows, but I don't think we can afford to wait any longer than we already have to put our heads together and figure out what's going on."

"So here's the deal. I hop a ride on your ship to the Burning Archipeligo. We go to Asanatown, and you help me figure out why none of the offices that I've contacted have anybody there to answer calls, and then how to find those people. If needed - and I stress if - I might also have to rely on you for personal safety. I hope things haven't gotten that bad, but if you were able to handle whatever was on the Breath of Embers you should be able to handle Asanatown."

"And of course, payment. I can offer you the rest of my department's budget - 500 credits - to get me there. Once we're there there's certainly the possibility of future work, depending onhow this goes."

"I can answer any questions you have. How soon can we leave?"


CG male space goblin mechanic (exocortex) 2 | SP 14/14, HP 14/14, RP 4/4 | EAC 14, KAC 15 | F+4, R+6, W+0 | Speed 35 ft., Init +3 | Perc +5 (Darkvision), SM +0 | Rifle battery: 20/20, spare: 20/20, 20/20, 20/20 | Current conditions:

"So...we not fixing new ship?"


Female N korasha lashunta wild warden soldier (armor storm) 2 | SP 14/14 HP 18/18 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 18 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +2 | Init: +2 | Perc:-1, SM: -1 | Speed 25ft | Active conditions: none.

Nomyra takes Dr. Suloro's words seriously. "Of course. We have to try to help the lashuntas in Asanatown. That was the most terrifying thing I've ever felt."


Fire Starters Loot

I should also mention that now that you're back on Far Portal Station you have access to a fully functioning infosphere, if you had wanted to do any research on topics from the ship (or otherwise) before arriving or before departure.

Jori responds to Kit, "We're planning to bring the Breath of Embers back online as we investigate the ship. Far Portal Station has plenty of capable mechanics and engineers, but the job will take several days at a minimum. We'll continue to work on the ship here if you choose to go to Asanatown."


Non-binary NG companion android scholar envoy 2 | SP 12/12 HP 16/16 | RP 3/3 | EAC 13; KAC 14 | Fort +0; Ref +5; Will +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5, SM: +3; darkvision (60ft), low-light vision | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: -

Puzzle listens carefully as Jiro and Suloro brief them. "The addage 'out of the frying pan and into the fire' seems appropriate," the android observes wryly.

"What can you tell us of Asanatown and the unrest?


CG male space goblin mechanic (exocortex) 2 | SP 14/14, HP 14/14, RP 4/4 | EAC 14, KAC 15 | F+4, R+6, W+0 | Speed 35 ft., Init +3 | Perc +5 (Darkvision), SM +0 | Rifle battery: 20/20, spare: 20/20, 20/20, 20/20 | Current conditions:

Kit shrugs. "Ok. Watch out for jerkfaces in the engines."

Wayfinders

Male Tiefling Witchwarper SP 12/14 HP 16/16 | RP 3/3 | EAC 12; KAC 13 | Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +3 | Init: +1 | Perc: +1 (Darkvision)

Wyrd suddenly cringes as he relives the pain he experienced yesterday when he was mentally assaulted as the portal plummeted into the sun.

A black haze of fire like substance but slightly chilly to the touch wafts up from every pore on his skin and after giving the impression that Wyrd will be consumed by black burning flames suddenly coalesce into a shimmering smooth oval shaped gem which hover in front of Wyrds brow

"..That surely was...a new experience" Wyrd mentions through clenched teeth as he composes himself once more and tries to focus his eyes on the gem in front of him

Wyrds revelation as a Solarion in character
-----------------------------------

"So 500 credits just to transport you from here to there? That would almost cover our fuel consumption and wear and tear of our engine, not to mention us not being able to take on another job...so we would be considering this an investment in acquiring you as a patron for future jobs by trying to keep you safe while we are there."

I have no clue what it would cost, but I feel it would be something a crew working transports for a living might bring up during a conversation to try to get more pay out of it


Fire Starters Loot

"Asanatown," Dr. Taeress begins, "isn't a very friendly place."

"There's a lot of history to it, but about 25 years ago all of the psychically attuned races in the Burning Archipeligo - mostly lashuntas with a military background retiring after the Peace Treaty - began to feel constantly under pressure, like some threat was looming just around the corner that we couldn't explain or place or really describe. What everybody felt a few days ago was a small part of what lashuntas in Asanatown have felt more or less constantly for over two decades. Long story short, most of the lashuntas in the Burning Archipeligo decided to settle in Asanatown after the fear started, where everybody else in the other bubble cities were happy to let them be.

"Today, Asanatown is a pretty tense place, even on a good day, and these last two days have not been good. Most people there are pretty insular and generally assume the worst about any situation. Lately there have been some more, well, militant groups that've pushed for a more aggressive approach to finding out the source of the psychic unrest, but nobody really knows where to start. Now with the Far Portal dropping into the sun and the terror blast happening even over here, not to mention the communications issues, I worry that Asanatown could be ready to boil over, if it hasn't already.

"So, a cheerful place. And yes, this job would come with the potential for future employment. I can't promise anything, but one of my old mentors is employed by an organization called the Deep Cultures Institute. Now don't laugh, but the DCI tries to find evidence of life, intelligent cultures even, living within the sun. They're a little bit outside what most scholars would call mainsteam opinion, but one of the crazy theories about why the psychic fear waves suddenly started affecting the Burning Archipeligo is that someone inside the sun turned them on for some reason. With the Far Portal dropping into the sun, maybe they'll have finally noticed something that our sensors didn't catch on this side of the Burning Mother. Depending on what they found and where, if anything, they might be needing private escorts to who-knows-where to take additional readings."


Female N korasha lashunta wild warden soldier (armor storm) 2 | SP 14/14 HP 18/18 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 18 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +2 | Init: +2 | Perc:-1, SM: -1 | Speed 25ft | Active conditions: none.

"Am I likely to experience the same effects as the Asanatown lashuntas?"


Fire Starters Loot

"You're a lashunta, aren't you?" Dr. Taeress replies. "It seems to affect every psychically sensitive individual that visits the Burning Archipelago. Not as bad as what happened two days ago, but a general sense of unease, like you're somewhere you shouldn't be or you're about to get a comms request with bad news. It's unpleasant, but not harmful, as far as anyone can tell."


Non-binary NG companion android scholar envoy 2 | SP 12/12 HP 16/16 | RP 3/3 | EAC 13; KAC 14 | Fort +0; Ref +5; Will +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5, SM: +3; darkvision (60ft), low-light vision | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: -

Puzzle nods as they listen to Dr Taeress explain recent events affecting Asanatown. The android tries to recall any information they have encountered relating to the Burning Archipeligo as a region, and politics within the factions of the area.

Culture (Burning Archipeligo/Asanatown politics): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27


Fire Starters Loot

Puzzle

Puzzle recalls the Burning Archipeligo see slides for a map is the closest known settlement to the sun. It consists of force bubbles of various sizes with cities or large platforms suspended within. Unknown mechanisms, which many believe to be powered by magic, maintain a habitable temperature and atmosphere within the bubbles while deflecting the constant solar radiation. The force bubbles are slightly polarized so that creatures within whose vision is based on sight aren’t immediately blinded by the sun’s brightness. The best minds of the Pact Worlds have thrown themselves into attempting to understand how the Burning Archipelago functions—mainly in case the bubbles ever begin to break down—to no avail. Dawnshore, stronghold of the church of Sarenrae, is the largest central bubble, but each bubble is generally in charge of their own affairs and governance.

The vast majority of Asanatown's population of about 5,300 (over 80%) are lashuntas, generally belonging to one of three groups: scientists, former military mostly originally from Castrovel, and devotees of Sarenrae (which often overlap with former military personnel). The bubble city is governed by an elected council, but in recent years various pseudo/paramilitary organizations have gained increasing popularity with some segments of the populace responding to living in psychic anxiety. This, combined with the large former military population, has made Asanatown a mini-hub for weapons trafficking and mercenary work. The most well known paramilitary organization at the moment is called the Sunrise Collective.


Non-binary NG companion android scholar envoy 2 | SP 12/12 HP 16/16 | RP 3/3 | EAC 13; KAC 14 | Fort +0; Ref +5; Will +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5, SM: +3; darkvision (60ft), low-light vision | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: -

Puzzle shares their knowledge of the Burning Archipelago and Asanatown [see above post), at length and in great detail, with their companions.

Turning back to Dr Taeress, the android asks, "Which treaty were you referring to?"


Fire Starters Loot

"Oh, the peace treaty with the formians on Castrovel. It ended generations of conflict," Dr. Taeress replies. "Once the wat ended, the military drawdown resulted in a lot of lashunta veterans with nothing left to do back home. Several thousand came here."

Any other requests before moving on from anyone?


Non-binary NG companion android scholar envoy 2 | SP 12/12 HP 16/16 | RP 3/3 | EAC 13; KAC 14 | Fort +0; Ref +5; Will +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5, SM: +3; darkvision (60ft), low-light vision | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: -

Puzzle contemplates a moment before nodding once. "I suppose that js logical given the connection; it was originally ambiguous in light of the context."

"Thank you. I think that is it for now. Since you will be with us, we can ask more on the way." Falling in beside the doctor, the android makes good on the suggestion right away. "Perhaps you can fill in the gaps in my knowledge of the Deep Cultures Institute..."

Culture: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25


CG male space goblin mechanic (exocortex) 2 | SP 14/14, HP 14/14, RP 4/4 | EAC 14, KAC 15 | F+4, R+6, W+0 | Speed 35 ft., Init +3 | Perc +5 (Darkvision), SM +0 | Rifle battery: 20/20, spare: 20/20, 20/20, 20/20 | Current conditions:

Kit rolls his eyes at the history lesson, then plops down on the floor and begins to disassemble his rifle once again, carefully inspecting each piece.


Female N korasha lashunta wild warden soldier (armor storm) 2 | SP 14/14 HP 18/18 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 18 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +2 | Init: +2 | Perc:-1, SM: -1 | Speed 25ft | Active conditions: none.

"Those poor lashuntas. We will absolutely help."

Wayfinders

Male Tiefling Witchwarper SP 12/14 HP 16/16 | RP 3/3 | EAC 12; KAC 13 | Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +3 | Init: +1 | Perc: +1 (Darkvision)

"Going there might be the weirdest place I've ever been....Let's go check it out"

Just wondering, do we have time for some shopping before we go? Everything I'd want to buy is too expensive but we do have at least 2 spare assault hammers we could sell and maybe get some more healing serums if we get (partly) payed up front. Unless someone has something specific they need that we might be able to afford


Fire Starters Loot

Puzzle

Spoiler:

The Deep Cultures Institute (DCI) is a small scientific institution in the Burning Archipeligo dedicated to the idea that intelligent life exists on a permanent basis within the sun. While the scientific cadre at the DCI is mostly made up of professional scientists with degrees from accredited institutions throughout the Pact Worlds, others in the scientific community often regard DCI "evidence" for life within the sun with skepticism. Some even accuse the DCI engages more in the realm of pseduoscience than actual science, like those claiming to find clues to the location of lost Golarian, or cryptozoologists in the jungles of Castrovel claiming to encounter (but seemingly never sufficiently document) various legendary animals.

"Thank you so much for agreeing to help!" Dr. Taeress exclaims after hearing your reactions. "I'm ready to leave as soon as you are."

Stationmaster Jori speaks up. "Before you leave, Far Portal Station would be happy to replenish your batteries and other consumables free of charge, in thanks for your actions to protect this station from the Fire Whale. Additionally, please keep the supplies we transferred to you while you were exploring the Breath of Embers as another token of our thanks."

Jori continues, "Unfortunately, we have little in the way of additional supplies outside of medicinals that could help you in Asanatown, if the situation there has turned violent. However, we would be happy to pay you fair market prices for any of the weapons or other artifacts you recovered on the Breath of Embers - some might even help us learn more about the ship's origin or mission."

Far Portal Station will buy (at 10% value for weapons but full value for artifacts - pieces of statue, etc.) anything you want to sell before departing to Asanatown. They generic supplies like medicines and tool kits available for sale but very little in the way of weapons or armor.

Dr. Taeress nods. "I'll be waiting in Mataras's Meals going over the Far Portal data again until you're ready to go. I think we're at the beginning of something that could be really, really big here."

Commense shopping to the extent you can, and let me know when you're ready to head to Asanatown.


Female N korasha lashunta wild warden soldier (armor storm) 2 | SP 14/14 HP 18/18 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 18 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +2 | Init: +2 | Perc:-1, SM: -1 | Speed 25ft | Active conditions: none.

I nabbed the light reaction cannon for Nomyra to have a better ranged weapon. When we know how much money we have, she'll buy some more serums of healing. Based on the way the beginning went, she'll need them!


Fire Starters Loot

-----Commence Part 2, Book 1!-----

After making last minute purchases, the party boards the ACN-1 with Dr. Taeress and departs for the Burning Archipelago!

Floating in mysterious bubbles of force within the sun's plasma seas, the structure is an island of habitability in astronomic fire, reachable only through special protective magical tunnels that extend out well beyond the sun's flames. The primary entrance tunnel leads to Dawnshore, the central, Sarenite-controlled bubble. The tunnel is guarded by Sunrise Station, a Sarenite military base that closely monitors all traffic in and out of the Burning Archipelago.

As the ACN-1 approaches, Sunrise Station comes into view, an ornate monitoring port, adorned to identify it as a Sarenite facility. Rings of dark metal float in the space beyond.

Dr. Taeress pipes up, "When we're hailed, let them know we have business in Asanatown with the Deep Culture Institute. If we're polite, that should be enough to get us in the door."

A moment later, the station hails the ACN-1.

A pleasant-looking man in gold clothing with blue trim nods a greeting and says, "Blessings of the Dawnflower be upon you, travelers. Please identify yourselves and state your business in the Burning Archipelago."


Female N korasha lashunta wild warden soldier (armor storm) 2 | SP 14/14 HP 18/18 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 18 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +2 | Init: +2 | Perc:-1, SM: -1 | Speed 25ft | Active conditions: none.

"I'm Nomyra Timan, and we're here to meet with the Deep Culture Institute in Asanatown."


Fire Starters Loot

"Just a second. This is the ACN-1? Enjoy your time in the Burning Archipelago." The man nods before cutting the connection.

As the ACN-1 moves toward the dark metalic ring, the mouth of the tunnel swirls into existance as a shimmering vortex in the ring of dark metal near Sunrise Station. It stretches down like a funnel into the stellar atmosphere. You reach Dawnshore without incident, but soaring down through the tunnel of solar flame is a surreal experience. At the other end, a ring of dark metal similar to the entrance opens on a view of the Burning Archipelago. The ACN-1 procedes to Dawnshore, the only spaceport in the Archipelago, and lands.

As the ACN-1 comes in for a landing, Dr. Taeress explains her plan. "Now that we're landing in Dawnshore, we'll take one of the linecrawlers - they're sort of a train - to go over to Asanatown. I'll see if I have any better luck contacting one of my... old contacts at the DCI on personal comms now that we're on the same side of the Burning Mother. In the meantime, now would be the time to buy anything you couldn't get back on Far Portal Station. Once we get to Asanatown, I'm not really sure what the situation is going to be."

Let me know when you're ready and we'll move over to Asanatown!


CG male space goblin mechanic (exocortex) 2 | SP 14/14, HP 14/14, RP 4/4 | EAC 14, KAC 15 | F+4, R+6, W+0 | Speed 35 ft., Init +3 | Perc +5 (Darkvision), SM +0 | Rifle battery: 20/20, spare: 20/20, 20/20, 20/20 | Current conditions:

"Ooh, neat!" Kit says, eyeing the tunnel of fire. "That a classy entrance!"

Wayfinders

Male Tiefling Witchwarper SP 12/14 HP 16/16 | RP 3/3 | EAC 12; KAC 13 | Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +3 | Init: +1 | Perc: +1 (Darkvision)

Wyrd is impressed by all the sights and anxious to continue with the mission.

"Any one else hope this will run smoothly" You are unsure if he means the train like linecrawler ride or something else


Non-binary NG companion android scholar envoy 2 | SP 12/12 HP 16/16 | RP 3/3 | EAC 13; KAC 14 | Fort +0; Ref +5; Will +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5, SM: +3; darkvision (60ft), low-light vision | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: -

Puzzle takes in the sights along the journey with rapt attention. The android never tires of the wondrous spectacle of the bubble islands nestled within the Sun's fiery surface.

"Yes," they agree with Wyrd. "Less excitement than our previous mission would be welcome."

Puzzle will purchase whatever healing serums are available from the Station and surface, as well as another batch of longarm rounds


Fire Starters Loot

Nomyra

Spoiler:
As the ACN-1 lands in Dawnshore, you feel an odd sensation affecting your antennae which moves down into your head. You feel a persistent sense that something is wrong or off about where you are and what you are doing. You can't place it or explain why, but you find yourself glancing behind you as you move through Dawnshore to make sure you're not being followed. When passersby approach you, you half-tense to enter a combat stance, but they always pass by without giving you or the group a second look.

After taking time to procure any additional supplies in Dawnshore, Dr. Taeress leads the way to the Dawnshore-Asanatown linecrawler station.

"I was finally able to get in touch with a personal... a former mentor of mine at the DCI: a ysoki named Nib," Dr. Taeress explains telepathically on the way through Dawnshore. "As I feared, things in Asanatown are going from bad to worse. The DCI, along with several businesses, have been shut down since the psychic event. There've been protests and probably riots around the Council Building in Clearlight right next door; Nib says the police have their hands full trying to keep everything under control."

The station looks much like a typical train or subway station on many of the Pact Worlds, save two features. First, like most of Dawnshore, Sarenite artwork and iconography cover the walls and ceilings. Second is the linecrawler itself, a specialized trainlike transport that rides the energetic tethers - lines - between the Burning Archipelago's impossible bubbles.

Nomyra

Spoiler:
You hear Dr. Taeress's voice in your head, speaking in Castrovelian. "You know the really sucky part about this feeling in our heads that started when we showed up here? It doesn't really go away until we leave the Burning Archipelago. You sort of get used to it, but it's rough, especially at the beginning. It's why my family doesn't live here anymore, and I spend months at a time working at Far Portal Station. I try to keep busy while I'm here, and remember everybody else like us is dealing with the same thing. It helps, a little bit."

Dr. Taeress electronically purchases the group passes. When you arrive at the platform for the crawler to Asanatown, the six of you are the only people on the platform.

Dr. Taeress continues, "Once we get into Asanatown we'll meet Nib at my apartment so I can begin to go over the data that we collected at Far Portal Station. I've asked Nib to reach out to any of her colleagues as well, so hopefully we'll be meeting more than just her. She also said the public transportation is iffy at best - lots of people not showing up to work to protest, or something like that - so we might be walking. It might be an hour or so by foot from the station."

Rolls

Spoiler:

Vedrir Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
Puzzle Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Wyrd Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Nomyra Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0
Kit Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

The windowless linecrawler arrives full of people, a few of which glance at you incredulously as they walk past you on the platform. After they all disembark, a pleasant, automated voice informs passengers - currently just you all - that it is time to board; the linecrawler will be departing shortly.

(bot)Vedrir, Puzzle, Kit, Wyrd

Spoiler:
Despite recalling lashuntas make up over 80% of Asanatown's residents, you notice the people departing the linecrawler are almost evenly split between lashuntas and a mix of other races, suggesting a disproportionate number of non-lashuntas were leaving Asanatown on this linecrawler.

The train electronically hmms away from the station along a line of energy several minutes later. Still alone in your car, Dr. Taeress speaks aloud, "Before we get to Asanatown, I want to thank you all for taking this job. I realize you typically do deliveries, not... riot protection, or whatever this is, but I really think this information from Far Portal Station could mean real breakthroughs for science, and... who knows, maybe even all of these people who are so on edge in Asanatown. They're good people, for the most part, but living under this psychic pressure... it's enough to put even good people on edge. So, again, thank you."

You barely notice the linecrawler accelerate. Without windows, it's hard to tell how fast you're going or where you are.

Dr. Taeress forces a smile. "Do you have any questions for me before we arrive?"


Female N korasha lashunta wild warden soldier (armor storm) 2 | SP 14/14 HP 18/18 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 18 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +2 | Init: +2 | Perc:-1, SM: -1 | Speed 25ft | Active conditions: none.

Nomyra keeps rubbing at her antennae and looking behind herself nervously as you walk. When one person approaches, she tenses up and balls her hands into fists, but the person simply passes by going the other direction.

"I couldn't turn my back on fellow lashuntas, even if this place is...odd. Is there any update on the situation there?"

501 to 550 of 674 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Flash's Fire Starters All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.