Terra Nova Campaign - Pilgrim's Progress by DM DoctorEvil

Game Master DM DoctorEvil

White Wolf Inn hub thread


1 to 50 of 127 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

In game adventure of the small group trying to stop an Ionian caravan of pilgrims from establishing a camp that would be detrimental to Valerian interests.


Female Human (Skilled) Bard 1 /\/\ Perc: +5 | HP: 16/16 | AC: 15 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +5 | Will: +5 | Spell DC: 17 | Hero Points: 1/3

Dot


Female Human CN F Human Rogue (Thief) 1/ HP 17/17/ AC 18/ Saves: Fort (T) +4/ Ref (E) +9/ Will (E) +6/ Perception (E) +6/ Ini +6

Ready


Male human abjurer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 15* | F +3 R +4 W +8 | Perc +6 | Stealth +4 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 1/3 | spells 1 hydraulic push, mage armor, magic missile | drain bonded item 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

Danalf wakes up the next morning and heads to the tavern common's room to look for his new companions. He sits at a table near the center and takes stock of the supplies in his pack.


Female Human (Skilled) Bard 1 /\/\ Perc: +5 | HP: 16/16 | AC: 15 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +5 | Will: +5 | Spell DC: 17 | Hero Points: 1/3

After heading back inside, up the stairs and selecting a bed in the dorm, the Bard crashed easily enough. Especially one the Dwarves arrived. Their snoring lulled her to sleep as it was similar to how the day shift on the Coral Spear.

When they started getting up before dawn to prepare for their workday, Divina was up as well. As with every morning she spent fifteen minutes melodically plucking the strings on her violin to keep it in tune. Divina then sent the next forty-five minutes with the rest of her daily routine, which to her was near meditative and she couldn't help but hum to a tune that only she could hear.

Once she finished up the Bard headed to the common room. Her eyes fell upon the stage, and again it seemed to be calling her. Shaking her head, Divina took a seat next to Danalf, "Good morning, sleep well?"


Male human abjurer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 15* | F +3 R +4 W +8 | Perc +6 | Stealth +4 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 1/3 | spells 1 hydraulic push, mage armor, magic missile | drain bonded item 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

Well enough. The sooner we head out, the better. Where is Tiny?


Female Human CN F Human Rogue (Thief) 1/ HP 17/17/ AC 18/ Saves: Fort (T) +4/ Ref (E) +9/ Will (E) +6/ Perception (E) +6/ Ini +6

Litsy took a certain pride in being a light sleeper. When you spent most of your day and night time on the streets, being on your guards became a second nature. You fell asleep clutching the stuff that you couldn't hide, and woke up at the slightest noise. Hells, she knew veterans street urchins that could slap away prying hands with their eyes closed and their heads still full of dreams.

All of these excellent habits, however, have a tendency to disappear when confronted with laziness and luxury. 'Tiny' did not make any sign of waking up while beds creaked and guests shuffled to their breakfast. Burrowed safely under the blankets, she was still snoring the morning away long after dawn, making a tremendous noise for such a small and frail girl. If it hadn't been for the unfortunate man next door that accidentally kicked his chamber pot over, and the copious swearing that ensued, she would not have stirred until the afternoon.

Her wide-awake teammates are already waiting for her when she appears at the doorframe.

"Morning," Litsy greets them, stifling a yawn. "You been up for long?"


Female Human (Skilled) Bard 1 /\/\ Perc: +5 | HP: 16/16 | AC: 15 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +5 | Will: +5 | Spell DC: 17 | Hero Points: 1/3

"Not long, I just got here myself," Divina answered, "Do you think we should stop at the local general store? You know, to get any last-minute supplies?"


Male human abjurer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 15* | F +3 R +4 W +8 | Perc +6 | Stealth +4 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 1/3 | spells 1 hydraulic push, mage armor, magic missile | drain bonded item 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

Yes. Better now before we head into the woods. Make it quick though.

Danalf had just finished assessing his own supplies and stuffing them back into his pack. He gets up and gestures for the ladies to lead the way to their store.


Female Human CN F Human Rogue (Thief) 1/ HP 17/17/ AC 18/ Saves: Fort (T) +4/ Ref (E) +9/ Will (E) +6/ Perception (E) +6/ Ini +6

"Without even a breakfast?" Litsy whines. Begrudgingly, she reaches for an apple in her backpack and puts her bag back on, following the group out the inn.

"What do you think we're gonna need?" she asks while she munches. "I can't carry much more stuff."


Female Human (Skilled) Bard 1 /\/\ Perc: +5 | HP: 16/16 | AC: 15 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +5 | Will: +5 | Spell DC: 17 | Hero Points: 1/3

As if on cue, Divina's stomach growled, "I have to agree with Litsy. We should get some breakfast first. It'll probably be the last hot meal we get for the next couple days."

Turning to the Rogue, "I only need to get some candles and twine."


Male human abjurer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 15* | F +3 R +4 W +8 | Perc +6 | Stealth +4 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 1/3 | spells 1 hydraulic push, mage armor, magic missile | drain bonded item 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

Okay okay, a quick breakfast, then candles and twine, then into the wilderness.

Danalf looks away from the table and raises his index finger to get the attention of one of the serving girls.


Female Human CN F Human Rogue (Thief) 1/ HP 17/17/ AC 18/ Saves: Fort (T) +4/ Ref (E) +9/ Will (E) +6/ Perception (E) +6/ Ini +6

"That's more like it!" Litsy smiles and sits back down. "So, what's it like being so far away from Iona?" she continues, directing her question at Divina. "Nothing serious taking place back home, I hope? You don't seem like you crossed the sea just to admire the landscapes and play a couple songs."


Female Human (Skilled) Bard 1 /\/\ Perc: +5 | HP: 16/16 | AC: 15 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +5 | Will: +5 | Spell DC: 17 | Hero Points: 1/3

Divina answered without missing a beat, "Being this far from Iona isn't really an issue for me. I was born and raised on the sea. As for why I'm here, landscapes and song playing sound perfectly fine to me. But adding a little spice to one's life never hurt."

What is she playing at? Does she know something? The Bard wondered.


Female Human CN F Human Rogue (Thief) 1/ HP 17/17/ AC 18/ Saves: Fort (T) +4/ Ref (E) +9/ Will (E) +6/ Perception (E) +6/ Ini +6

"I get why that it wouldn't be an issue. Lovely food, rubbish politics," Litsy replies. "Let's hope adding a little spice won't ruin the flavour."


Female Human (Skilled) Bard 1 /\/\ Perc: +5 | HP: 16/16 | AC: 15 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +5 | Will: +5 | Spell DC: 17 | Hero Points: 1/3

Yeah, politics. Divina thought to herself.

"And what about you Litsy? What brings you to this land?"


Male human abjurer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 15* | F +3 R +4 W +8 | Perc +6 | Stealth +4 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 1/3 | spells 1 hydraulic push, mage armor, magic missile | drain bonded item 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

Danalf listens intently while devouring biscuits and milk gravy.

Eat everything! We're going to need the energy today.


Female Human CN F Human Rogue (Thief) 1/ HP 17/17/ AC 18/ Saves: Fort (T) +4/ Ref (E) +9/ Will (E) +6/ Perception (E) +6/ Ini +6

"Business opportunities," Litsy replies merrily. "My career was stagnating. Variable payment, exhausting work schedules, more and more competitors entering the market-you know what I mean? Thought I'd be better off trying my luck in a budding economy. It'll be easier to acquire
capital and make investments."

She pauses when one of the waitresses brings her a bowl of porridge, and starts wolfing down the food.


Female Human (Skilled) Bard 1 /\/\ Perc: +5 | HP: 16/16 | AC: 15 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +5 | Will: +5 | Spell DC: 17 | Hero Points: 1/3

"I see," Divina replied before gobbling down her newly brought food with surprising speed.

After letting out a small belch, she then said, "Well, let's get to shopping."


Female Human CN F Human Rogue (Thief) 1/ HP 17/17/ AC 18/ Saves: Fort (T) +4/ Ref (E) +9/ Will (E) +6/ Perception (E) +6/ Ini +6

"Let's!" Litsy says after wiping her mouth.


Male human abjurer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 15* | F +3 R +4 W +8 | Perc +6 | Stealth +4 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 1/3 | spells 1 hydraulic push, mage armor, magic missile | drain bonded item 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

Danalf comfortable fits his hands into his cloak pockets and follows the ladies to the general store.


Sorry for the long delay, but it seems you entertained yourselves admirably in my absence.

The breakfast is hot and tasty, moreso perhaps because it might be the last warm one in some time. After the food is gone, the new-born team goes to the general store.

The store in Tanner's Crossing is called Bacon's and is run by Linus and Libby Bacon who are founding residents of Tanner's. The store is part grocery, part hardware, and part wilderness outfitter so many various and sundry items are available. Items not in stock can be retrieved from Redmont within the week.

These will all be at list price from the CRB. If it is an exotic or rare item you seek, let me know and I'll tell you if it is in stock. Don't forget that you may have to eat in the woods for a while.


Female Human CN F Human Rogue (Thief) 1/ HP 17/17/ AC 18/ Saves: Fort (T) +4/ Ref (E) +9/ Will (E) +6/ Perception (E) +6/ Ini +6

Letting Divina buy what she needs, Litsy wanders around the store, lingering on the available backpacks and trying to think of something useful to buy. She suddenly realizes that she hasn't brought a map, and starts looking for one that might depict where the pilgrims have set their camp.

A Survey Map might be useful. I also wondered if there was an equivalent to a Masterwork Backpack that Litsy could buy later? It would be great to increase her Bulk


Female Human (Skilled) Bard 1 /\/\ Perc: +5 | HP: 16/16 | AC: 15 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +5 | Will: +5 | Spell DC: 17 | Hero Points: 1/3

Divina looked about and found a couple of candles, some twine, and even some Tindertwig. Not sure who in this frontier town has the skills to make these, but that's not important right now. She even got a pint of oil.

GM - Would you say that some twine would cost about the same as a candle?


Male human abjurer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 15* | F +3 R +4 W +8 | Perc +6 | Stealth +4 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 1/3 | spells 1 hydraulic push, mage armor, magic missile | drain bonded item 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

Danalf wanders around the aisles looking for the basics for sets of rations.

Dried meat... cheese. Bread. It's not a warm meal at the tavern, but it gets us through.

Danalf will buy an additional 2 weeks of rations for 8sp, bringing him to 4 weeks worth on hand. Does that sound like "a while"?.

After the rations he looks around the wilderness supplies section.

Do they make tents big enough for three? I don't mind sleeping under the stars, but getting caught in the rain makes for miserable days afterward...

He finally spies what he's looking for.

Hmm, never mind. That's pricier than I'd hoped. Individual tents it is. We'll just have to be sure none of the three of us sets it up on lower or slanted ground...

Buying a "pup" tent for 8sp.


Tiny Litsy wrote:

Letting Divina buy what she needs, Litsy wanders around the store, lingering on the available backpacks and trying to think of something useful to buy. She suddenly realizes that she hasn't brought a map, and starts looking for one that might depict where the pilgrims have set their camp.

A Survey Map might be useful. I also wondered if there was an equivalent to a Masterwork Backpack that Litsy could buy later? It would be great to increase her Bulk

There are no maps of the area in question available at the General Store, the wilderness interior of Terra Nova is just too newly discovered to have such things for sale at this point. There is a basic map of the coastline of the new continent, but even the location of Tanner's Crossing is not shown.

The backpacks here are mundane and heavy duty, but they still hold the same amount of bulk as any other.

As far as MW backpack, I don't see the item in the CRB, so it must not yet exist in this ruleset. You can link it if you find it. Also recall that you will soon have a horse and tack, so you can offload some your bulk depending on immediate need.


Divina Plavix wrote:

Divina looked about and found a couple of candles, some twine, and even some Tindertwig. Not sure who in this frontier town has the skills to make these, but that's not important right now. She even got a pint of oil.

GM - Would you say that some twine would cost about the same as a candle?

The cost of twine would be neglible, depending on how much you were buying. Let's say a copper pinch. Fine for you to purchase the rest of these items at CRB values


After the shopping purchases are all made, the group stands back on the porch of Bacon's Goods, and considers what their next steps might be.


Female Human (Skilled) Bard 1 /\/\ Perc: +5 | HP: 16/16 | AC: 15 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +5 | Will: +5 | Spell DC: 17 | Hero Points: 1/3

*Slight Retcon* Seeing Danalf purchase a small tent, Divina turned to Tiny, "Hey, want to share a tent?"


Female Human CN F Human Rogue (Thief) 1/ HP 17/17/ AC 18/ Saves: Fort (T) +4/ Ref (E) +9/ Will (E) +6/ Perception (E) +6/ Ini +6

"If you don't mind the snoring!"

Litsy doesn't find any map, but she does purchase a compass.

Might be useful.


Female Human (Skilled) Bard 1 /\/\ Perc: +5 | HP: 16/16 | AC: 15 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +5 | Will: +5 | Spell DC: 17 | Hero Points: 1/3

The Bard gave her an impish smirk, "Please, if I can sleep through the snoring of thirty sailors, you wouldn't even come close to waking me up with that."

Turning to the shopkeep, Divina purchased the tent.

Picking it up she thought to herself, Oof, definitely keeping this strapped to the horse.

Purchased 4-person tent. I can carry it, but it puts me at 6 Bulk which is my Encumbered limit.


Male human abjurer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 15* | F +3 R +4 W +8 | Perc +6 | Stealth +4 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 1/3 | spells 1 hydraulic push, mage armor, magic missile | drain bonded item 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

As long as neither of you snore loud enough for our targets to find us, I don't care.

He chuckles to himself.

Okay, so if that's all, are we ready to hit the 'ol dusty trail?

He leads the way back to the barn where they met with the man, to pick their horses.


Female Human CN F Human Rogue (Thief) 1/ HP 17/17/ AC 18/ Saves: Fort (T) +4/ Ref (E) +9/ Will (E) +6/ Perception (E) +6/ Ini +6

I've got everything I need," Litsy nods.


Male human abjurer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 15* | F +3 R +4 W +8 | Perc +6 | Stealth +4 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 1/3 | spells 1 hydraulic push, mage armor, magic missile | drain bonded item 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

GM, how do we want to conduct our approach towards the encampment? A series of survival rolls to see how many days it takes?


Female Human (Skilled) Bard 1 /\/\ Perc: +5 | HP: 16/16 | AC: 15 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +5 | Will: +5 | Spell DC: 17 | Hero Points: 1/3

Divina was a little slower getting to the horses than she normally would have been. But once she arrived at hers, the Bard quickly secured the tent to the back of her saddle with a series of intricate knots. Much better, she thought.


Sorry didn't get to it tonight, but will post an update for you tomorrow. If you have a survival bonus, please list it.


Male human abjurer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 15* | F +3 R +4 W +8 | Perc +6 | Stealth +4 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 1/3 | spells 1 hydraulic push, mage armor, magic missile | drain bonded item 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

No worries. Survival +3


Female Human (Skilled) Bard 1 /\/\ Perc: +5 | HP: 16/16 | AC: 15 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +5 | Will: +5 | Spell DC: 17 | Hero Points: 1/3

A what bonus? Lol. +0


Female Human CN F Human Rogue (Thief) 1/ HP 17/17/ AC 18/ Saves: Fort (T) +4/ Ref (E) +9/ Will (E) +6/ Perception (E) +6/ Ini +6

+4


According to the map shown you by the hooded man, the pilgrim's camp is basically across the river and southwest, maybe 2 days travel, maybe a bit longer. The group was said to be camped there until some pre-arranged signal and then setting out up the river.

The village is called Tanner's Crossing for a reason. There is a hand-cranked ferry across the broad river just on the south side of town. The troop of dwarves is building a real bridge, but it is little more than initial pilings at this point. At the ferry, the man acknowledges you with a nod. He is an old-timer, his body lean from the work, and his face tanned and lined. "Nothing good happenin' south of this river, folks." He says after you've paid the silver sail per person for the ride. "Reckon I'd be real careful in the woods. Hear that the goblins of the south are a bit stirred up. A new leader raising a ruckus, it seems. Might want to steer clear of any of these little troublemakers more'n usual."

He gets you safely to the other bank and you don't even need Litsy's compass to steer you in the basically right direction.

You can ask the old-timer, Tanner you presume, questions if you'd like or just set off.

GM Screen:

Litsy DC 10 Survival: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Divnia DC 10 Survival: 1d20 ⇒ 15
Danalf DC 10 Survival: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22


Female Human CN F Human Rogue (Thief) 1/ HP 17/17/ AC 18/ Saves: Fort (T) +4/ Ref (E) +9/ Will (E) +6/ Perception (E) +6/ Ini +6

"Have there been attacks so far?" Litsy inquires. "I hope that no traveller has fallen into an ambush!"


"Aye, there have been attacks, but nothing so bold as to attack travelers...yet. From what I here it's been raids on livestock and spooking an occasional farmer or lone lumberjack. But bad's bad, and as they get bolder, those goblins'll be stormin' the village soon enough, 'less someone puts a stop to 'em." The old man shrugs as if to say 'who's that going to be' and continues cranking the ferry along.


Female Human CN F Human Rogue (Thief) 1/ HP 17/17/ AC 18/ Saves: Fort (T) +4/ Ref (E) +9/ Will (E) +6/ Perception (E) +6/ Ini +6

Litsy thanks the old man, and waits until they left the ferry and are out of earshot to turn to her companions.

"Looks like the pilgrims didn't stumble upon a group of goblins then," she says, sounding disappointed.


Male human abjurer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 15* | F +3 R +4 W +8 | Perc +6 | Stealth +4 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 1/3 | spells 1 hydraulic push, mage armor, magic missile | drain bonded item 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

Danalf nods politely at the old man as they board the ferry. He listens quietly as Tiny converses with him, finally remarking.

Hmm. Averting a goblin uprising is a good cause, but one thing at a time. We have immediate business to attend to. However, perhaps information about goblins we observe will end up in our reports, and we can gather help to deal with it after.

He lets this sit for several moments before deciding to go ahead and ask Tanner a more immediately relevant question.

What do you know of any Ionian folk cross west via the woods?


Female Human (Skilled) Bard 1 /\/\ Perc: +5 | HP: 16/16 | AC: 15 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +5 | Will: +5 | Spell DC: 17 | Hero Points: 1/3

Divina listened intently, especially when Danalf asked about the Ionians.


"Not many," says Tanner in an understated manner. "Few enough going west as it is. Most Ionians who cross here are coming north to the village. Not many going back into the Marches or beyond. More'n that, I cain't rightly say." He nods his cap to you once you are safely on the other side. "Be careful now, the woods is no place for civlized folk. Leave it to them durn Novans I say." Tanner waves dutifully, and starts pulling the raft back across the river, usually keeping it on the village side.

Tell me what your plan is at this point?


Male human abjurer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 15* | F +3 R +4 W +8 | Perc +6 | Stealth +4 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 1/3 | spells 1 hydraulic push, mage armor, magic missile | drain bonded item 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

From here we move towards the encampment. When we spot smoke in the sky from their fires, we pause and take a very quiet approach. Anything other thoughts?

Danalf looks back and forth at his two companions.


Female Human CN F Human Rogue (Thief) 1/ HP 17/17/ AC 18/ Saves: Fort (T) +4/ Ref (E) +9/ Will (E) +6/ Perception (E) +6/ Ini +6

"Probably stay hidden for now, and scout a little when we get there," Litsy suggests. [b]"We'll need to know how they travel, how many there are, and how the camp is guarded before we can act."[b]


Male human abjurer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 15* | F +3 R +4 W +8 | Perc +6 | Stealth +4 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 1/3 | spells 1 hydraulic push, mage armor, magic missile | drain bonded item 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

Danalf nods. Of course. No frontal assault. No announcing our presence. Divina? He looks to her for any final input before they head into the woods.

and then I think we're ready for survival navigation.


After some brief discussions about tactics, the group leads there mounts off into the unbroken wilderness in the general direction of the pilgrim's mustering camp as described by the hooded man's map.

After several hours of riding, Divina is totally turned aroudn as to direction, but both Litsy and Danalf are able to keep the course in a generally southwesterly direction they believe.

Just after taking a short break to consume some lunch and sip from our waterskins, you remount and head back in the same basic direction.

Litsy:
Just before you set off, you hear the sound of high-pitched singing come from off to your right. You can't make otu any of the words, but the sing is very pleasing and melodious

GM Screen:

Danalf DC 12: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Litsy DC 12: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Divina: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

1 to 50 of 127 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Terra Nova Campaign - Pilgrim's Progress by DM DoctorEvil All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.