[5e] Courts of the Shadow Fey

Game Master mishima


501 to 550 of 786 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>

character sheet

Last night
I'd have offered to heal Carnadine and Raseri (and Tim, if he came) over drinks. That's +73 HP divided between the two of you.
.
Of course, since I failed to get a long rest last night, that means I'm 100% out of spells...but I couldn't have known that last night.

Aura of Vitality: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 5) = 6
Aura of Vitality: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 3) = 6
Aura of Vitality: 2d6 ⇒ (6, 6) = 12
Aura of Vitality: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 3) = 5
Aura of Vitality: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 5) = 6
Aura of Vitality: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 6) = 9
Aura of Vitality: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 4) = 6
Aura of Vitality: 2d6 ⇒ (6, 1) = 7
Aura of Vitality: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 1) = 3
Aura of Vitality: 2d6 ⇒ (6, 6) = 12

Now

Kjeta looks over her aprons as though the thought that they weren't fancy enough hadn't ever occured to her. Well, perhaps they are a bit stained...

With a shrug, she says, "Alright, what kind of Servant of Ninkash would I be if I shied away from new experiences?"

As they leave, she leaves Weißbier the owl in the stable but brings Hops the donkey along, carrying a keg. "Perhaps better clothes might help us make a better impression with the council..but I'll wager even many uppity council members aren't as impressed by fine cloth as by fine ale...and of course mine's the finest!"

She follows gamely into the tailor's shop, but is shocked by the amount of money Raseri is considering to spend on clothing. Glancing into her (fairly empty) coin purse, she settles on a long, white silk quilted jacket with silver embroidery, plus boots and gloves made of kidskin.

She keeps her amulet of Ninkash displayed prominently around her neck.

Spreading her arms, she asks, "Well, what do you think?"

Looks like one can do pretty well for 15 GP (which is convenient, since Kjeta has little cash on hand after I invested in a brewery): fine clothes "This set of clothes is designed specifically to be expensive and to show it, including fancy, tailored clothes in whatever fashion happens to be the current style in the courts of the nobles. Precious metals and gems could be worked into the clothing."


Tracker Sheet

Weißbier doesn't give a hoot, being nocturnal...the giant owl is quite content to dream its dreamy dreams in the dark musty stable free of the braying of the giant ass.

---

The skinny girl getting her dress altered could do little but watch as the 2 new girls with huge sacks full of gold coins basically took over her favorite tailor's that morning. The first one, human, came out looking like she was wrapped in solid platinum...a fat emerald about the neck refracting rainbows from the slightest luminescence. The second, a dwarf, was obviously losing the battle despite purchasing vestments that would trump anything the girl might ever hope to own.

Dancy was smiling ear to ear, her little brown teeth poking every direction "I close shop now." she said happily.

"What?! My dress! You haven't fini-"

"I close now." the half orc reiterated, completely uncaring about customer satisfaction at a time like this. But no one noticed the 3rd dark haired woman, selecting choice fabrics from the top shelf...an ensemble that would nearly eat all the amazing profit the poor business woman thought she made that day.

---

Outside, the bored guys smoked pipe with a small cobble of street halflings, one of which had stopped to admire Hrungnir's armor. They were throwing dice against a brick step and taking bets.

Citadel post incoming in a few hours


Wounds (0) HP (75) AC (20) Saves (6/-1/6/2/1/0) lvl1 (3/4) lvl2 (0/2)

Sorry for my absence

Hrungnir had somehow managed to get lost. But he did (finally) manage to make it to The Hero of the Hops. He flung the door open, stomped in, and took a seat. Tilting his head back, he decided that as good as coffee was, what he really wanted was a cold ale. That, and the information promised to him.


Dhampir Knight Incoporeal | HP: 54/62 | HD 0/7 | Thirst 0/2 | Charm 1/1 | Wind 1/1 | Surge 1/1| Inspiration Yes!
Stats:
AC 19 | Str +6 Dex +0(+2) Con +5 Int +0 Wis +0 Cha +2 | Initiative +0 | Passive Perception 13, Darkvision
Deimus wrote:
He greets Carnadine with confused feelings. He saw Morgau as a potential invader, but this individual had clearly sided with Zobeck in this fight, so there was that.

"Well hello, master kobold. I am Carnadine of Bruvik, Captain of Arms in the Order of Knights Incorporeal. Who might you be?" This noble dhampir stands a little over six feet tall with alabaster skin and jet black hair pulled back in a fashionable short tail. He shoulder a shield emblazoned gules, a skull argent. And, his matching crimson tabard is decorated to announce his status as a noble within the Order of Knights Incorporeal and overlays splint armor which tapers to fit a slim build. His weapon’s belt carries a longsword and two handaxes.

After Deimus introduces himself, Carnadine asks, "There are two kobolds on the council, and kobolds played a key role in overthrowing the Stross family. And a kobold was in my dreams last night. Too many coincindences. Would you know anything more about the interest of the Faerie Queen quietly invading Zobeck?"

Will Carnadine get to the city archives before or after the council? Don't know if/when he was introduced to Hrungnir.


HP 29/29 | AC 15 | Acr +4 Dec +7 Ins +7 Int +5 Inv +1 Perc +2 Perf +7 Pers +10 Stea +6 | Saves: S -1, D* +6, C +0, I +0, W +1, Ch* +7; Imm Disease Poison (dam and cond) | Init +3 | PPerc 12; PInv 11; PIns 17 | Spd 30' | Insp: Yes! | HD 7/7 | Status: Normal | Spell slots: 4 3 3 1 | BrdIns 4x d8

Deimus is somehow taken aback by Carnadine's otherwise simple question: "Tzk. Who am I..? Wellz, I- I'm- I guess I'm Deimus... Deimus the Restored. I advocate for Kobold's rights in thisz city. And yes, I would like to know more about this so-called invasion. We've just heard the river has frozen over. The river! Now, temples get locked down, streets diszappear, and the Argent is frozen. Anything else?" As he speaks, as the words come out, he gets more comfortable, like speaking settles him.


HP: 43 (55) | AC: 17/18 | Saves: Str: +0; Dex: +7; Con: +2; Int: +3; Wis: +2; Cha: +0 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 18; Passive Insight: 15; Passive Investigation: 10 | Inspiration: [X] | Spells/Day: 1 (3)

Note that I feel bad about stealing, but Lexi wouldn't hesitate.


Dhampir Knight Incoporeal | HP: 54/62 | HD 0/7 | Thirst 0/2 | Charm 1/1 | Wind 1/1 | Surge 1/1| Inspiration Yes!
Stats:
AC 19 | Str +6 Dex +0(+2) Con +5 Int +0 Wis +0 Cha +2 | Initiative +0 | Passive Perception 13, Darkvision

"Well met, Deimus the Restored. Do you know the stories of the kobolds leading the charge against the Stross family who appears to be a key to the fey invasion? Do you have any connection with the kobolds on the city council?"

"The council just voted to release a guilty shadow fey, so we must be cautious openly opposing the invasion until we have enlisted enough city defenders." The noble dhampir replies wondering if the kobold is more clockwork than reptile.


CG Female Human(Variant) Cleric(Tempest Domain) 7 HP: 26/26 | AC: 10 | Saves: STR +3 DEX 0 CON +1 INT 0 WIS* +5 CHA* +3 | Perception: +5, Investigate: 0, Insight: +5 | Channel Divinity: 1/2 | Spells: 1st 0/4, 2nd 0/3, 3rd 0/3, 4th 0/1| Arrows: 20, Inspiration: 1, Status:

All I'm picturing is Raseri in a cocktail dress, and it's pretty funny.

Raseri comes out in a dress and jewelry fit for a noble, her stern expression marred by the discomfort that anyone studying her could see in her eyes.

"How is anyone supposed to move in this? I fear that if I should sneeze, the seams will split and I will be left naked with scraps of fabric around me," she complains to Kjeta as she follows the dwarf. Every now and then, the others could see her stumble a little as her new slippers twisted awkwardly. She walks to to Carnadine and looks him dead in the eyes.

"Well, Ulf, do you think I am more acceptable to those who live here now?"


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Dhampir Knight Incoporeal | HP: 54/62 | HD 0/7 | Thirst 0/2 | Charm 1/1 | Wind 1/1 | Surge 1/1| Inspiration Yes!
Stats:
AC 19 | Str +6 Dex +0(+2) Con +5 Int +0 Wis +0 Cha +2 | Initiative +0 | Passive Perception 13, Darkvision

Carnadine smiles wide showing his enlarged bright white canine teeth and replies, "Well, I found you acceptable before. Now, I think the Ulf name befits you more than me, as in a wolf-in-sheeps-clothing. And, where will you stow your maul in that attire?"


Tracker Sheet

Sorry for delay, internet issues.

Hru, I had you with the party on the way to the Citadel. You can surely come back later in the day to rendezvous with the contact.

Carn, I was planning council first then archives. Gamewise because the Council only has a public session for a certain time slot. They are in the same building just down the hall from each other.

Lexi, no worries, I won't judge. Stealing is fun and this is a game.

Whenever ready...

The white washed Citdel towers over the rest of Zobeck by 5 or 6 stories, a feat of romanesque architecture. Despite the appearance of a regal palace, it's purpose has always been to defend the river entrance from upstream threats before reaching the docks. Indeed unlike others, the wall within a wall is a military district, meaning the street order is tightly regulated. You must be careful not to loiter lest you risk suspicion from the many patrols.

The Citadel palace has one very distinctive feature, the Skywalk. Jutting out from its southern face is a buttress that slowly smooths into a horizontal bridge extending like a plank over the city. It is here the elite Order of the Griffon Knights train their beasts and sentinel. You certainly may catch a glimpse of their plate mailed griffons glistening in the sun far above.

Back on the ground, the street is remarkably clean and winds through a few other places of note. The White Rose is the go to tavern for knights of Sun and War...not a drinking hole for everyones tastes... prayers and battles replace the usual desired revelry. Also near is the King's Head, a timber and slate inn nearly as old as the Citadel itself, housing visiting diplomats and important merchants...the waiting list for booking is notorious. Somewhat comforting perhaps is the referenced King's head...the head of Stross in bas relief adorns the sign. Finally, the mysterious Blue House looms nearby, the headquarters of the secret police who drop their intelligence officers everywhere...both within the walls of Zobeck and its surrounding lands.

You feel vindicated in your purchases of finer garments...it is certain you have passed on from the browns and greys of peasantry and entered a realm of nobility. Still, it is public to an extent and bustling with the business of the day. Merchants with trade disputes wait for deliberation, families with crime issues go to court, representatives appeal to the council, historians delve the archives.

A certain delightful smell enters your senses just outside the King's Head. An orange skinned kobold is running a little street bistro with fine tables serving wine and curious fancy lizard tacos. "Come for a bit of meaty taco, m'lords?" he shouts as you pass.


HP: 43 (55) | AC: 17/18 | Saves: Str: +0; Dex: +7; Con: +2; Int: +3; Wis: +2; Cha: +0 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 18; Passive Insight: 15; Passive Investigation: 10 | Inspiration: [X] | Spells/Day: 1 (3)

Lexi shook her head no at the Kobold's offer and then continued moving towards the citadel, her master's voice running through her head:

walk like you belong and have somewhere to be, but not quickly. Imagine yourself taking a walk to a tavern to meet a friend. Don't look around too much, but keep an eye on where you're going.

Lexi was wearing a strapless blue sundress that extended down to mid-shin. She had a messenger bag over one shoulder, and to anyone watching her walk down the street looked like the student or the child of a wealthy merchant.


CG Female Human(Variant) Cleric(Tempest Domain) 7 HP: 26/26 | AC: 10 | Saves: STR +3 DEX 0 CON +1 INT 0 WIS* +5 CHA* +3 | Perception: +5, Investigate: 0, Insight: +5 | Channel Divinity: 1/2 | Spells: 1st 0/4, 2nd 0/3, 3rd 0/3, 4th 0/1| Arrows: 20, Inspiration: 1, Status:
Carnadine wrote:
Carnadine smiles wide showing his enlarged bright white canine teeth and replies, "Well, I found you acceptable before. Now, I think the Ulf name befits you more than me, as in a wolf-in-sheeps-clothing. And, where will you stow your maul in that attire?"

"I thought it best not to be armed. Southlanders get so fussy about weapons," Raseri explains, "and I believe you have a wolf confused with a lamb trussed up for the slaughter. I am afraid to take a deep breath lest the seams split."

She takes a hold of Carnadine's left arm, not trusting her balance in the heeled slippers. To her credit, she manages to not fall and only stumbles a couple more times on the way. She begins to turn her head when the Kobold calls out, but she stops herself and tries to think of what a southlander noble would do and finds she hasn't a clue.

"Have you any words for me to keep myself from not appearing as a fool," she asks him quietly.


HP 29/29 | AC 15 | Acr +4 Dec +7 Ins +7 Int +5 Inv +1 Perc +2 Perf +7 Pers +10 Stea +6 | Saves: S -1, D* +6, C +0, I +0, W +1, Ch* +7; Imm Disease Poison (dam and cond) | Init +3 | PPerc 12; PInv 11; PIns 17 | Spd 30' | Insp: Yes! | HD 7/7 | Status: Normal | Spell slots: 4 3 3 1 | BrdIns 4x d8

Deimus walks up to the Kobold and buys a taco and offers it to the others, then he say to the Kobold: "You know me? I'm Deimus the Restored, and I'm about to have a word with the Council. Tell me: you're happy with our Kobold representatives? They're good drakes? Honour their clutches? Tinker to their heart's content, and hthen more?"

Persuasion: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13


Tracker Sheet

The kobold plates it up with extra spice, his eyes shining the shine of servitude "Oh yes, Deimus...aha...you have me speak of Quetelmak? The King of Kings never lasts more than a few years, and he has had two I think! Many things I have heard...he is a Mharoti spy, a very small lizardfolk in disguise, he wishes the destruction of the Ghetto and the spread of us all throughout Zobeck..." he passes the salt. "When the other kings and queens of the Ghetto have a combined might to challenge him, they will...such is always the way of us." he quickly gets another taco ready for the next customer.

"The other...hmm... Me, I would not question Kekolina...touched by St. Piran, that one."

St. Piran is a local patron saint of miners. Deimus would probably know Kekolina is a cleric that draws power from St. Piran.


Dhampir Knight Incoporeal | HP: 54/62 | HD 0/7 | Thirst 0/2 | Charm 1/1 | Wind 1/1 | Surge 1/1| Inspiration Yes!
Stats:
AC 19 | Str +6 Dex +0(+2) Con +5 Int +0 Wis +0 Cha +2 | Initiative +0 | Passive Perception 13, Darkvision

Carnadine comfortably accepts Raseri's arm and whispers, "You are as welcome in these halls as anyone else. Act slowly. Think twice about your thoughts before voicing them. Remember that most weapons in these halls are slow and hidden."


Wounds (0) HP (75) AC (20) Saves (6/-1/6/2/1/0) lvl1 (3/4) lvl2 (0/2)

”Fookin’ fantastic. So these southerners don’t even have the courtesy to stab ye in the face? Good thing yer tongue be sharp enough to defend us. Right?”

He walked along, covered in his elaborate plate. His hammer and shield though had been left behind, leaving him conspicuously unarmed.


CG Female Human(Variant) Cleric(Tempest Domain) 7 HP: 26/26 | AC: 10 | Saves: STR +3 DEX 0 CON +1 INT 0 WIS* +5 CHA* +3 | Perception: +5, Investigate: 0, Insight: +5 | Channel Divinity: 1/2 | Spells: 1st 0/4, 2nd 0/3, 3rd 0/3, 4th 0/1| Arrows: 20, Inspiration: 1, Status:
Carnadine wrote:
Carnadine comfortably accepts Raseri's arm and whispers, "You are as welcome in these halls as anyone else. Act slowly. Think twice about your thoughts before voicing them. Remember that most weapons in these halls are slow and hidden."

"Perhaps I should be silent then. I am better at tempering steel than my words."


Tracker Sheet

As you climb towards the Citadel proper, the smooth white cobblestone steps turn to an even smoother glossy marble. The public hall is one of the larger rooms of the palace, designed for large assemblies of the populace. 6 great columns support a glass ceiling high overhead, ornately inset with silver...kobold silver...turned and modeled into leaves of ivy and other nature themes. A great clock also looms overhead, another relic of the rule of Stross.

*Boooong booong* the clock strikes, marking the beginning of the days public session. You quickly filter through the guarded gate with many others. There is some pushing and shoving but it soon gets a devils eye from the guard and proceeds more orderly. There are at least 100 people here.

As the party approaches, you hear the guard saying the same thing over and over to each person entering "Declare yourself unarmed and swear to peace..." There is a small gated armory just down the hall to check weapons.

So, you can declare and swear or try to hide some weapons. Sleight of hand roll


CG Female Human(Variant) Cleric(Tempest Domain) 7 HP: 26/26 | AC: 10 | Saves: STR +3 DEX 0 CON +1 INT 0 WIS* +5 CHA* +3 | Perception: +5, Investigate: 0, Insight: +5 | Channel Divinity: 1/2 | Spells: 1st 0/4, 2nd 0/3, 3rd 0/3, 4th 0/1| Arrows: 20, Inspiration: 1, Status:

"I give my oath that I shall not cause any violence and that I carry no arms," Raseri tells the guard.

As if I could carry anything that wouldn't be blatantly obvious, she thinks to herself.


Dhampir Knight Incoporeal | HP: 54/62 | HD 0/7 | Thirst 0/2 | Charm 1/1 | Wind 1/1 | Surge 1/1| Inspiration Yes!
Stats:
AC 19 | Str +6 Dex +0(+2) Con +5 Int +0 Wis +0 Cha +2 | Initiative +0 | Passive Perception 13, Darkvision

Carnadine checks his scabbarded longsword and two handaxes. He attempts to keep his shield shouldered on his back unless challenged, then he would surrender it to the law.

Then, to the guard he declares, "I enter unarmed and at peace."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Wounds (0) HP (75) AC (20) Saves (6/-1/6/2/1/0) lvl1 (3/4) lvl2 (0/2)

”Aye! Unarmed and at peace.” He held up his empty hands as proof. Leaving out the fact that his runes would let him summon his hammer and shield to his side regardless of where they were.


HP: 43 (55) | AC: 17/18 | Saves: Str: +0; Dex: +7; Con: +2; Int: +3; Wis: +2; Cha: +0 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 18; Passive Insight: 15; Passive Investigation: 10 | Inspiration: [X] | Spells/Day: 1 (3)

Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

Lexi cheerfully asks "Why would I carry weapons into a courthouse?"


Tracker Sheet

With the Council assembled and the audience settled to a quiet murmur, the day's business gets underway. It begins with a merchant of House Armanac, the dominant monopolists of Zobeck river trade...

A resplendent woman of perhaps 25 years approaches the dark-marked Speaking Circle, flanked by what appear to be lawyers and wisemen at 4 and 8 o'clock. She wears a feathered blouse of some red stirling, with a dark blue and almost black leggings of silk...bowing low "Honorable Council, it is Ardora Armanac, daughter of Zobeck that appeals to you on this dark day of our history. Never before has the Argent so halted before deep winter. Our humble house implores to the council steps must be taken to balance the losses incured by this natural disaster...and that-"

"Enough." Halsen Hrovitz abruptly halts the testimony. "The Council is very much aware of the peculiarities of the premature lengthening of days." his voice is nasal and almost sounds as if in song, despite lack of rhyme "The Armanac levies will be waived until Last Leaf, for none could argue the disaster on lesser houses and dependent industries if otherwise."

A majority of gasps, clapping and hails answers the Council's declaration on that score, settled only by the gavel from the dwarven mayoress. The lawyer and wisemen drag Ardora back to anonymity before she can jeopardize the deal (it certainly seems she had more to say), but she manages one last gracious bow.

And thus the order proceeds, another worried merchant house, another base point retailer voicing their concerns...all placated by the soothing words of the Council. It would be hard for any present to argue that their sympathy for the weather was lacking...

You can roll insight checks, but call out a specific Council member if so. Or you might bully your way through the queue to get within the Speaking Circle yourself. Or you could do something I cant imagine. Go.


CG Female Human(Variant) Cleric(Tempest Domain) 7 HP: 26/26 | AC: 10 | Saves: STR +3 DEX 0 CON +1 INT 0 WIS* +5 CHA* +3 | Perception: +5, Investigate: 0, Insight: +5 | Channel Divinity: 1/2 | Spells: 1st 0/4, 2nd 0/3, 3rd 0/3, 4th 0/1| Arrows: 20, Inspiration: 1, Status:

insight (Halsen Hrovitz): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
insight (Ser Jorun Haclav): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
insight (Melancha Vendemic): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
insight (Myzi I): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
insight (Lord Mayor Olleck): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

While it was difficult for her to remember all of the council members, Raseri does manage to remember a little about them and focuses her attention on the ones she felt would be key to any plots to take over the city through trickery and would be easy marks for fey magics.

"Do they not seem unconcerned? A frozen river this far south at this time of year is too strange to not be caused by magic, yes," she asks Carnadine, mainly because she could whisper to him without drawing attention to herself much more easily than she could to just about any of the others that had gathered.


Dhampir Knight Incoporeal | HP: 54/62 | HD 0/7 | Thirst 0/2 | Charm 1/1 | Wind 1/1 | Surge 1/1| Inspiration Yes!
Stats:
AC 19 | Str +6 Dex +0(+2) Con +5 Int +0 Wis +0 Cha +2 | Initiative +0 | Passive Perception 13, Darkvision

Insight vs. Ondil Firedrake: 1d20 ⇒ 5
Insight vs. Orlando: 1d20 ⇒ 4
Insight vs. Lector Strek: 1d20 ⇒ 7
Insight vs. Ser Jorun Haclav: 1d20 ⇒ 8
Insight vs. Quetelmak: 1d20 ⇒ 19
Insight vs. Melancha Vendemic: 1d20 ⇒ 4
Insight vs. Kekolina of the Derry Mine: 1d20 ⇒ 4
Insight vs. Myzi I: 1d20 ⇒ 16
Insight vs. Lady Wintesla Marack: 1d20 ⇒ 5
Insight vs. Halsen Hrovitz: 1d20 ⇒ 1
Insight vs. Selena Harbeck: 1d20 ⇒ 11
Insight vs. Lord Mayor Olleck: 1d20 ⇒ 6
those are some bad rolls. Hopefully, there's a quota or something

Carnadine surveys the room attempting to understand the court battlefield. He replies in a hushed voice to Raseri, "It seems that Halsen Hrovitz who has old ties to the Stross family attempts to placate Zobeck elite with city privileges and treasury due to the impact of the fey invasion. While ignoring at least in public the cause of the effects. Remember councilors would speak one thing in public and another in private."


HP: 43 (55) | AC: 17/18 | Saves: Str: +0; Dex: +7; Con: +2; Int: +3; Wis: +2; Cha: +0 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 18; Passive Insight: 15; Passive Investigation: 10 | Inspiration: [X] | Spells/Day: 1 (3)

Lexi didn't attempting to get into the queue; instead, she asked some of the other people in line about their requests, as well as their opinion of the various members of the council. Not concerned with any specific requests unless they seem particularly out of place Lexi instead is looking for trends on anything the group doesn't know about yet So nothing about the shadow fey or the river freezing.


HP 29/29 | AC 15 | Acr +4 Dec +7 Ins +7 Int +5 Inv +1 Perc +2 Perf +7 Pers +10 Stea +6 | Saves: S -1, D* +6, C +0, I +0, W +1, Ch* +7; Imm Disease Poison (dam and cond) | Init +3 | PPerc 12; PInv 11; PIns 17 | Spd 30' | Insp: Yes! | HD 7/7 | Status: Normal | Spell slots: 4 3 3 1 | BrdIns 4x d8

Deimus has left what little weapons he had with him.

Watching the scene, he cares little for any but the Kobolds.

Quetelmak: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

Kekolina: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11


Wounds (0) HP (75) AC (20) Saves (6/-1/6/2/1/0) lvl1 (3/4) lvl2 (0/2)

Insight Dwarven Mayoress: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Hrungnir listened...but knew that he didn’t have a head for human or kobold politics. He was practically relieved to see a dwarf. Perhaps she would be someone worth talking and listening to.


Tracker Sheet

Heh, I meant roll on one consul...not going to go through all 12 at once XD. Ill pick the highest that no one else picked I guess...still kind of a lot.

Raseri found herself drawn to Vendemic, the golden-voiced singer with seemingly an equally tuned ear...one tuned to the cries and complaints of Zobeckers. Although her emotional responses were larger than life (an exaggerated gasp here, a heart clutching whimper there) Raseri decided her concern for the people was genuine after all.

Only once did her presentation crumble, just for the slightest tick on the clock. It was during a tavern owner's complaint about a performer known as the Dawnbreaker...one whose songs had (reportedly) enchanted the audience and incited violence. There was just a moment of disbelief or incredulity on her face.

The Knight Incorporeal meanwhile was drawn to the little rat of a man known as Myzi I. His nose had an annoying twitch and his fingers were restless during others' oratory. It seemed plain to Carnadine that Myzi I was sniffing out opportunities in the stories and complaints of the people...finding ways to twist their fortune or ill fortune into gain for himself.

This comes into full view during the exposition of a member of the Arcane Collegium, a certain Exar the Thrice-Promised, representative of House Zeerghast. Exar purports to be some kind of astronomer, and fiddles about with charts and diagrams explaining "...these days of longer twilight simply should not be. We are still weeks from the winter solstice, which will conjunct with the new moon for the first time in 9,997 years. Auspicious indeed! Coming together with these new...partners..." If Exar was about to allude to the shadow fey, Myzi I cut and brushed him off "Darkness is good for Zeerghast candlemakers, am I wrong? Be thankful for what you were given. Aha, what fate has given you!" he corrects. Exar was hardly appeased and harumphed out of the Circle.

Lexi's different tact was turning up tales of disappearances and bleaching curses, all related to bad-mouthing or somehow going against the strange elven travelers. Curious however is that none seem to mention the shadow fey, as if the concept isn't in their vocabulary. Instead they lay blame on gangs known as the Cloven Nine and the Redcloaks. Lexi might imagine these powerful groups are using the chaos to settle scores undetected. The Cloven Nine are a thuggish cabal of tiefling warlocks, while the Redcloaks are a mysterious group of humans and kobolds with an ostensibly unlimited source of funding...funds they employ on ornate crossbows and elaborate traps in the pursuit of ransom kidnapping and banditry.

For Deimus, the King of Kings seemed quite hostile to all on the consul, always the one to offer a fiery counterpoint or attempt to soften and dismantle their strongest arguments. The kobolds in the audience ate it up, loving every minute. Those more astute however, such as yourself, could see through it as simple populism. More curious was how abruptly that behavior was cut short during a complaint of the fey incursion on the gates. The clockwork guardians disassembled atop the walls were certainly within the kobolds purview...it was always them who maintained the old sentinels...where was his passion on that front? Others on the Council assured the orator of a counter-strike being developed by the Griffon Knights...but again Quetelmak was evasive and not himself.

Hrungnir could see fear on the mayoress' face. The dwarven face was a grimace of wrinkles and hair to most, but Hrungnir recognized it clean as day. Her voice trembled and lacked authority, and she seemed distracted at a murder of crows settling on the glass-top roof above. You follow her gaze and notice it too...it starts with 3...then 3 more come...and 3 again. As such the glass roof slowly darkens and blocks the autumn sun from casting down into the chamber...


Dhampir Knight Incoporeal | HP: 54/62 | HD 0/7 | Thirst 0/2 | Charm 1/1 | Wind 1/1 | Surge 1/1| Inspiration Yes!
Stats:
AC 19 | Str +6 Dex +0(+2) Con +5 Int +0 Wis +0 Cha +2 | Initiative +0 | Passive Perception 13, Darkvision

The noble dhampir whispers to his entourage, "I don't think the small rat of man has been affected by the fey. Although, they are probably counting on his basic instinct to make the most of opportunities."


CG Female Human(Variant) Cleric(Tempest Domain) 7 HP: 26/26 | AC: 10 | Saves: STR +3 DEX 0 CON +1 INT 0 WIS* +5 CHA* +3 | Perception: +5, Investigate: 0, Insight: +5 | Channel Divinity: 1/2 | Spells: 1st 0/4, 2nd 0/3, 3rd 0/3, 4th 0/1| Arrows: 20, Inspiration: 1, Status:

Heh, Sorry about that. :)

"Nor do I think the golden-tongued skald is so ensorcelled. She appears to care for the people, and she is not at all happy about this one called Dawnbreaker using music and song to incite violence. Perhaps this is your lout with a lute from the theatre yestereve. Perhaps we could speak with her and see what she knows," Raseri suggests, "and perhaps we might earn some rings for our troubles."


HP: 43 (55) | AC: 17/18 | Saves: Str: +0; Dex: +7; Con: +2; Int: +3; Wis: +2; Cha: +0 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 18; Passive Insight: 15; Passive Investigation: 10 | Inspiration: [X] | Spells/Day: 1 (3)

Lexi nods along and offers words of encouragement and support as expected. She then makes her way back to the others and asks "So, who seems the most shady here?"


HP 29/29 | AC 15 | Acr +4 Dec +7 Ins +7 Int +5 Inv +1 Perc +2 Perf +7 Pers +10 Stea +6 | Saves: S -1, D* +6, C +0, I +0, W +1, Ch* +7; Imm Disease Poison (dam and cond) | Init +3 | PPerc 12; PInv 11; PIns 17 | Spd 30' | Insp: Yes! | HD 7/7 | Status: Normal | Spell slots: 4 3 3 1 | BrdIns 4x d8

"I hate to say it, but my representative, the King of Kings, seems too evasive with regards to the maintenance of those clockwork guardians. Certainly, I would like to have a conversation with him..."

Deimus might not have noticed, but the Zeerghast candlemaker was just about to mention the Shadow Elf, no?


Wounds (0) HP (75) AC (20) Saves (6/-1/6/2/1/0) lvl1 (3/4) lvl2 (0/2)

”The birds.” Hrungnir said. ”There’s trouble. I think the fey are watching.” He said, eyes never leaving the suspected spies.


HP: 43 (55) | AC: 17/18 | Saves: Str: +0; Dex: +7; Con: +2; Int: +3; Wis: +2; Cha: +0 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 18; Passive Insight: 15; Passive Investigation: 10 | Inspiration: [X] | Spells/Day: 1 (3)

"You're probably not wrong Lord Hrungnir."


CG Female Human(Variant) Cleric(Tempest Domain) 7 HP: 26/26 | AC: 10 | Saves: STR +3 DEX 0 CON +1 INT 0 WIS* +5 CHA* +3 | Perception: +5, Investigate: 0, Insight: +5 | Channel Divinity: 1/2 | Spells: 1st 0/4, 2nd 0/3, 3rd 0/3, 4th 0/1| Arrows: 20, Inspiration: 1, Status:

"Birds," Raseri asks before looking around for what may have caught Hrungir's attention.


Tracker Sheet

About an hour had passed since the proceedings began, many had come and gone to plead their concerns to the council...the public session was nearing an end for the day. As the crows gathered on the glass roof above, few noticed the light within the hall was slowly dimmer and dimmer...even darkening completely in some corners.

*bamf*

The familiar sound of fey teleportation came from one such corner, and a regal figure stepped forward with a large parchment in hand. He wore the darkest velvet you've ever seen, yet it shimmered with all the colors of the rainbow as he moved. His hat...a tall black nearly brimless spike that whispered and dripped the word 'fashion' had the crowd gasping almost as much as his mysterious appearance itself.

The audience murmured confusion bordering on chaos, but as the newcomer slowly and peacefully walked to the Circle the Council followed his steps with the beating order of the gavel.

He spoke a string of syllables in Elvish and bowed deeply, respectfully...then in Common proclaimed:

"The Moonlit King has spoken and upheld his claims, just and remembered. Once the longest night has passed, the king and queen of the Realm of Shadow shall rule the lands of Zobeck once more, appointing a statthalter as Their Royal Highnesses see fit."

The term is a bit obscure, but might be familiar to those with courtly experience or interest in history: a statthalter, or stadtholder typically acts as a de facto head of state...appointed by lords to rule in their absence. More powerful than a governer...a vassal himself in all but name. For all intents and purposes, this statthalter would be the new sole ruler of Zobeck.

"As Hidden Ambassador to the city now built upon those lands, I stand ready to arbitrate in the name of the Shadow Court, winter and summer, day and night. Let no scathsidhe be harmed or harassed in these lands, on pain of blindness. More Edicts will follow by herald. I await your full compliance; you may petition me if the need arises...in Winter's Kiss."

He bows low with a flourish before *bamf*-ing away again, and the crows above explode into flight sending light once more down upon all.

Feel free to act anywhere in there, just getting it all out.


CG Female Human(Variant) Cleric(Tempest Domain) 7 HP: 26/26 | AC: 10 | Saves: STR +3 DEX 0 CON +1 INT 0 WIS* +5 CHA* +3 | Perception: +5, Investigate: 0, Insight: +5 | Channel Divinity: 1/2 | Spells: 1st 0/4, 2nd 0/3, 3rd 0/3, 4th 0/1| Arrows: 20, Inspiration: 1, Status:

Raseri grows more and more nervous as she sees the crows. She can't exactly recall why, but she felt they had something to do with the silver eyes that haunted her nightmares. Her nerves vanish under the blaze of her rising ire when the herald appeared and made his pronouncement, but even as she opened her mouth, Carnadine's words remind her that it would be wise to hold her tongue. She slumps back into her seat, her head bowed and the fire gone from her eyes.

"Kannski hef ég dvalið of lengi," she says quietly to no one in particular.

Northern Tongue:

"Perhaps I have lingered overlong."


HP: 43 (55) | AC: 17/18 | Saves: Str: +0; Dex: +7; Con: +2; Int: +3; Wis: +2; Cha: +0 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 18; Passive Insight: 15; Passive Investigation: 10 | Inspiration: [X] | Spells/Day: 1 (3)

Lexi remained silent throughout the rather pompous entrance, speech, and exit. Once he was gone, Lexi turned to the others and said "We really need to read that treaty, leave the city, or be prepared to fight a war."


Wounds (0) HP (75) AC (20) Saves (6/-1/6/2/1/0) lvl1 (3/4) lvl2 (0/2)

”We’re not in charge of the city. So don’t do nothing rash. Let’s see how these heads of state respond to the windbag.”


Tracker Sheet

Will write up crowd/council reactions in an hour or so. Another option is party could step in the circle, or something else...but otherwise will move scene along today.


Tracker Sheet

Murmurs rumble from the crowd like the buzz of bees. Many of those had already complained of fey throughout the session and this further development was pushing them farther to frustration.

"...That hat, though. Can respect a man, wears a hat like that."

A few dunce nobles were daft enough to nod before a stunned moment of silence.

"Shut it, nitwit..." and guffaws roar until the beating of the gavel draws all to order once more.

"Did that horned faerie say they were sending someone to rule our Free City?" an armored knight shouted. The gavel boomed.

"Can send a statthalter to my arse..." a whitehaired old lady with wrinkly leather skin postulated. Gavel gavel gavel.

"Let him come, we'll string 'em up the Stross Clockworks as our second king!" one dared. A single, powerful gavel.

"Enough." it was Archwizard Orlando of the Collegium, his voice double that a normal mans "This court will have order or the session will retire behind the eyes of the public. It is clear we face a threat and that these claims, on the surface, are wild and bizarre. But negotiations always begin outlandish and flopped too far one way, that is their nature. With time perhaps this Ambassador will turn to reason..."

Guildmaster Streck echoed "Business is a fragile network assembled on a single lynchpin of regulation...if these fey disturb the pin with these...magic edicts..., the Houses will turn against each other, the Guilds will shatter..."

The priest and priestess of Rava were surprisingly quiet, worship of Rava had been prohibited and it seemed even now, they would not pray.

Vandemic spoke up "We've known the fey have worked from shadow, boiling slowly to scorch. Their threats are not empty, we have seen their curse begin what seems a reign of terror. You must spread the word..." the crowd was silent hanging on the beautiful woman's words, hopeful of the great inspiration she was about to deliver "...and obey for now." the energy evaporated in shock and sadness "There is no need to put yourselves at risk. The Free Council still fights for your protection, and it pleads with you now...do not instigate."

Some walked out. Others were so tired they didn't even know what to say anymore. It seemed the Free Council had no plan or power to enact any bulwark against the Courts of the Shadow Fey...


Dhampir Knight Incoporeal | HP: 54/62 | HD 0/7 | Thirst 0/2 | Charm 1/1 | Wind 1/1 | Surge 1/1| Inspiration Yes!
Stats:
AC 19 | Str +6 Dex +0(+2) Con +5 Int +0 Wis +0 Cha +2 | Initiative +0 | Passive Perception 13, Darkvision

Carnadine's mind turns at the words of the Hidden Ambassador. Always a clever trick they play. He waits the reaction of the city council.

After the wave of emotions pass, he pulls his new acquaintances together and offers some suggestions. "My new friends. If you be defenders of Zobeck, I believe the Hidden Ambassador gave us clues in his soliloquy, as all good villains do."

"First, he mentions the Moonlit King who I think is new to the scene, because the Master of Roads was a vassal of the Queen of Night. I thought they exchanged their throne of the Shadow Kingdom, so something has happened to allow them to coexist. He makes claims, probably from that deal with the Strosses. Do you remember that astronomer earlier today, he mentioned that the stars were out of alignment or that something will happen that hasn't happened in thousands of years, so he may know our timetable to make a difference in this plot."

"Second, even if the faerie invasion cannot be overturned, perhaps we could find a way to influence who would be the statthalter. If it was perhaps the city council itself, maybe things could on as they were, even if the Faerie Court rules. "

"Third, the Hidden Ambassador is ready to arbitrate, so we could potentially initiate contact with him when we're ready. But we have to find the teleporting bastard, unless we happen to know where this Winter's Kiss is. And, we cannot harm or harass a scathsidhe, which probably is a fey creature. So, we need to be circumspect."

"Did I miss anything?" The knight captain looks around his fashionably dressed acquaintances for consensus and a spark of ambition.


HP: 43 (55) | AC: 17/18 | Saves: Str: +0; Dex: +7; Con: +2; Int: +3; Wis: +2; Cha: +0 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 18; Passive Insight: 15; Passive Investigation: 10 | Inspiration: [X] | Spells/Day: 1 (3)

"Yes." said Lexi so quietly that people standing a few feet away could have easily missed it. "We do not want to be controlled by the Fey, nor any creatures who dwell in the shadow realm. That way leads to the loss of your soul." Small though she was, Lexi was fairly radiating menace.

"That way lies literal madness."

Raising her voice to a normal level and tone, she says "We should make our way out of here now and find a nice quiet spot to have a drink and talk things through no?"


CG Female Human(Variant) Cleric(Tempest Domain) 7 HP: 26/26 | AC: 10 | Saves: STR +3 DEX 0 CON +1 INT 0 WIS* +5 CHA* +3 | Perception: +5, Investigate: 0, Insight: +5 | Channel Divinity: 1/2 | Spells: 1st 0/4, 2nd 0/3, 3rd 0/3, 4th 0/1| Arrows: 20, Inspiration: 1, Status:

"Shadow speaks the truth, Ulf. Even I know that the old Jarl- nei, það er ekki rétt orð. The old king and his kin were strung up a lifetime ago. These people will not accept a ruler they did not chose. She is wrong, however. We should go talk to the Songstress. Her favor may prove to be a boon that aids our quest," Raseri says with a smile. "And bold of your to expect one of the Thorsdottir to be subtle, but I suppose even storms can be subtle in their dangers."

Without waiting for the others, she turns and makes her way to the Speaking Circle.

Going to give the others a chance to stop her.


Tracker Sheet

No NPC would try to stop the Thorsdottir ;)


CG Female Human(Variant) Cleric(Tempest Domain) 7 HP: 26/26 | AC: 10 | Saves: STR +3 DEX 0 CON +1 INT 0 WIS* +5 CHA* +3 | Perception: +5, Investigate: 0, Insight: +5 | Channel Divinity: 1/2 | Spells: 1st 0/4, 2nd 0/3, 3rd 0/3, 4th 0/1| Arrows: 20, Inspiration: 1, Status:

Oh I wasn't worried about the NPCs. With the bling, the do, and the dress, I'm sure she looks like a wealthy noble. Who's gonna tell a noblewoman she can't when she looks like she could buy you out of petty cash.
Figured it was only fair to give the PCs a chance though. :)


HP: 43 (55) | AC: 17/18 | Saves: Str: +0; Dex: +7; Con: +2; Int: +3; Wis: +2; Cha: +0 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 18; Passive Insight: 15; Passive Investigation: 10 | Inspiration: [X] | Spells/Day: 1 (3)

Lexi smiles, curious to see how this is going to play out.


Dhampir Knight Incoporeal | HP: 54/62 | HD 0/7 | Thirst 0/2 | Charm 1/1 | Wind 1/1 | Surge 1/1| Inspiration Yes!
Stats:
AC 19 | Str +6 Dex +0(+2) Con +5 Int +0 Wis +0 Cha +2 | Initiative +0 | Passive Perception 13, Darkvision

Carnadine smiles wide like a wolf and eagerly awaits to hear the thunder.


Wounds (0) HP (75) AC (20) Saves (6/-1/6/2/1/0) lvl1 (3/4) lvl2 (0/2)

Hrungnir crossed his arms and watched intently, though it likely looked like he was scowling. He wanted to see how this would unfold.

501 to 550 of 786 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [5e] Courts of the Shadow Fey Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.