GM ShadowLord's Jade Regent - Group 1

Game Master The Rising Phoenix

Loot!


51 to 100 of 644 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Human (Tian-Min) Monk (Zen Archer) 2 | HP 15/15 | AC 16, T 16, FF 10 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +6 | CMD 14 | Init +2 | Perception +8

Kaji nods to Ameiko and replies,

Minkaian:

”I understand. I will keep her safe, cousin.”

Kaji did understand. Ameiko still keenly felt the deaths of her parents, and possibly even Tsuto. She did not want to lose Ruka as well.

Of course, he would be unable to keep Ruka from any danger. Hopefully he would be able to keep her from too much harm, though.

—————————————————————————

The next morning, Kaji descended the stairs. Compared to the others, his pack seemed almost empty. The only things on the outside of his pack are a coiled rope and a grappling hook. His dagger was at his belt, and he carried his unstrung short bow and two full quivers.

GM, I decided to have Kaji buy a grappling hook during the previous evening.

Addressing the group, he says, ”Good morning, all. Is everyone well-rested? Are you prepared to head into the Marsh?”

Kaji sits down to eat his breakfast.


Challenge 1/1
Spells Remaining:
Spells/Effects Active:
Mage Armor
AC 18 T 14(18 vs incorp touch) FF 14| Current HP 20/20| F +4 R +3 W +1(+5 vs charm/compulsion)| Init +3| Perc +1 (-1 for sight) Low-light vision
Lor-Sinn Imass wrote:
She stops to cock her head at Asuka's unusual way of addressing Ameiko and Ruka. "Why do you call them that? Those are not their names - well, only half of their names as they are both named Kaijitsu. Are those other words extra names? Secret names? Are you writing a book about them and you named their characters San and Sensei? I think that would be confusing for readers, because those two words sound very alike."

Asuka is excited by the question, always happy to explain things about her home and her culture. It helps it not feel quite so far away. ”Oh! It’s considered very familiar and casual to address people by their given names back home. It’s more respectful to use family name and an honorific. ‘San’ is the standard honorific you use for most people, and ‘sensei’ means teacher or mentor, cause Kaijitsu-sensei is a cool hero who helped me out!” Asuka taps a talon against her beak. ”I suppose if any of you would prefer I use your given name, that would be okay. I want to respect your culture, so if that makes you more comfortable, I’m good with it. Not much point in trying to be respectful if it just makes people uncomfortable! That’s just basic rules of manners.”


Female Human Slayer 2 | HP 20/20 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) (+1 vs traps)| Saves: F:+5, R:+5, W:+2 (+1 vs traps)| BAB: +2, CMB: 6, CMD: +18, | Init: +3 | Perc. +6 | Active Conditions: None
More Info:
Oppressive Expectations: Perception

"I don't really mind either way. Most people address me as Ms. Kaijitsu, but then most people I talk to these days are employees. You're obviously not, so I'm fine with you using my given name." Ruka looks down at her hands, flushing slightly. "Um, I hope I didn't offend you by calling you Asuka. I can call you Narukami-san if you would prefer. It's been a long time since our family came here from Minkai...I wasn't really thinking."

Kajiwara Shogahiro wrote:
”Is everyone well-rested? Are you prepared to head into the Marsh?”

Ruka sits up straighter at the question. "Of course. I packed last night and am ready to leave at any time." The fact that she has to stifle a yawn partway through her sentence makes it obvious that while she might be ready, she's not as well-rested as she's trying to pretend. Hoping Kajiwara didn't notice, she quickly adds, "Is this everyone who's going, or did more people volunteer?"


Challenge 1/1
Spells Remaining:
Spells/Effects Active:
Mage Armor
AC 18 T 14(18 vs incorp touch) FF 14| Current HP 20/20| F +4 R +3 W +1(+5 vs charm/compulsion)| Init +3| Perc +1 (-1 for sight) Low-light vision

Asuka shakes her head vigorously. ”Oh not at all! I don’t mind in the slightest if people call me Asuka here since that’s how things are done, and that would be presumptuous for me to expect everyone to change their behavior for me. I’m just a silly bird from the other side of the world.” Asuka smiles her warmest smile at Ruka. Thoughtfulness always brightens her mood, and she’d always rather people be direct about what they are feeling and thinking, since she’s so bad at figuring it out herself. ”You’re really sweet for checking-in with me, though!”

Asuka finally regards Shogahiro-san. ”Oh yeah! I’m totally ready. Got all my gear I’ve been putting together and I aced my drills this morning.”


M Human Wiz 2 | HP 13/13 | AC 12/12/10 | CMD 12 | F+1 R+2 W+4 | Init +6 | Perc +1 |
Spells:
0: Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Read Magic | 1st: Infernal Healing, Mage Armor, PfE + Enlarge Person |
Ruka Kaijitsu wrote:
"Is this everyone who's going, or did more people volunteer?"

"Present!" said a young man who just entered the inn, his cheeks a bit red from exertion. Presumably he had hurried here. Samton had labored a good long while on what to bring along to the expedition, and longer still on what spells to prepare for the occasion. 'Goblin hunting' wasn't the studious wizard's best subject. In the end, he had decided to travel as light as he could manage, reasoning that he would be too great a burden, literally so, for the others on the climb ahead otherwise. Even so, the humble youngster still seemed to struggle with his meager backpack.

"Ms Imass, Ms Kaijitsu, Ms Narukami, Mr Shogahiro, Ms Cotton..." he nodded to everyone in turn, smiling a bit awkwardly. "I'm not late, am I?"

Sam didn't sit down to eat for fear of delaying the group - he didn't want to be an inconvenience. Last night had been a late one, as Mr Parooh the gnome had inundated his ward with advice on the dos and don'ts of adventuring. Romantic though he was, the gnome had clearly been deeply conflicted on his apprentice's sudden decision to join the expedition. Although happy that Samton the homebody would finally be seeing some travel, he was also fearful as a mother hen seeing its chick leave the nest. Despite making a career out of selling faux treasure maps and constantly touting the virtues of adventure! excitement! and danger!, it seemed the cartographer was still protective of his apprentice. Sam had honestly been rather touched.


Tiefling Paladin (hospitaler) 1/Oracle of Life 1 | HP 22/22 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | F +5 R +3 W +2 | CMD: 15 | Resist cold/electricity/fire 5 | Init +3 Per -1 | Darkvision 60 ft.

Lor-Sinn's gaze becomes unfocused as she stares at the ceiling, her lips moving. Then she claps once, the sound cutting through the hubbub of the slowly filling tavern.

"I have it! Narukami-san, Hemlock-sensei, Parooh-san, Zantus-san, Andosana-sensei!" She starts laughing. "It sounds so strange!"

The mention of drills brings her back to the matter at hand. "Right, the expedition. I'm all packed up and ready to go!"

She turns as the young wizard enters the inn. "Oh, hey Sam! I was just thinking about your master."


Female Gnome "Gingerbread" Witch | HP 9/9 | AC 12, T 11, FF 11 | Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +3 | CMD 11 | Init +3 | Perception +4

Poppy was NOT a morning person. Usually she prefers to live the more night-owl lifestyle, filling it with food prep, note taking or a little Flayleaf smoking. But she spent the evening halfway prepping her wagon, fitting it with boards to combat any mud but hit a snag. She had an epiphany, Do I REALLY want to drag my food cart through a damn Marsh and presumably back again? No, she realized, she didn't want to. It was too big and noisy and would only slow them down. One of her donkeys would have to suffice as she couldn't carry the cooking equipment by her lonesome. The rest of the evening was spent organizing into piles what should be brought, as well as securing a safe location for her carriage while she was away.

Her saving grace from the creeping crabbiness of insomnia was Ameiko's coffee. She had been meaning to buy more of her own stock, but there was always a cup waiting when she helped Ameiko out in the kitchen. This morning she'd had a couple cups to settle her nerves. She was a bit out of her comfort zone, but the group seemed in good spirits. But more importantly, they liked the food. That boded well for the journey ahead.
Poppy continued to listen to the group as she finished serving and cook food ready to leave at their say so.


Female Human Slayer 2 | HP 20/20 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) (+1 vs traps)| Saves: F:+5, R:+5, W:+2 (+1 vs traps)| BAB: +2, CMB: 6, CMD: +18, | Init: +3 | Perc. +6 | Active Conditions: None
More Info:
Oppressive Expectations: Perception

Ruka blinks in surprise at the young man joining them at the table. Isn't that the cartographer's apprentice? What is his name...Simeon, maybe? Fortunately Lor-Sinn addresses him by name so she doesn't have to ask. Sam. I was close.

As uncertain as always of what to say, she finishes her breakfast in silence. Once it seems like everyone else has finished as well, she stands and shoulders her pack. "We should probably get going. No telling how long it will take us to find these creatures."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Ameiko laughs at Lor-Sinn "Well done."

Ameiko makes her way around the room, starting with Asuka. She ruffles the tengu's feathers and asks "Ready for your big day today? You better bring some extra writing implements just case you lose yours. Don't want to be stuck out there without a way to capture the important information, do you?"

Moving to Poppy she remarks "Excellent job on the meal Poppy, I think everyone is satisfied. Would you like another cup of coffee before you go? Why don't we get you another cup." She signals to Bethana to fetch another cup for the gnome.

To Kajiwara she asks "All set for your trip? Do you want me to pack some extra food? It looks like you're traveling awfully light?"

When Ruka mentions leaving, Ameiko drops her good attitude. Without even acknowledging Ruka, she moves towards the counter and steps behind it before finally turning towards Ruka. Her face is void of expression now, a blank look on her face. She folds her hands across her stomach and somewhere between an order and a request, she speaks one word. "おいで"

Tian:
"Come."

About this time Shalelu pushes in through the front door with her pack on. She looks over the group and asks "You ready to go yet? I'm going to see you off to the edge of the swamp just to make sure you're going in the right direction. Hate to lose you all because you ran into the Sandpoint Devil before even getting to the swamp."


Female Human Slayer 2 | HP 20/20 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) (+1 vs traps)| Saves: F:+5, R:+5, W:+2 (+1 vs traps)| BAB: +2, CMB: 6, CMD: +18, | Init: +3 | Perc. +6 | Active Conditions: None
More Info:
Oppressive Expectations: Perception

Ruka is very, very tempted to ignore her sister. The distress she’s felt the night before has hardened into anger. Anger at Ameiko for publicly humiliating her. Anger at herself for running away. But...Ameiko is still the head of the family. Disobeying such a simple request would just make Ruka look like a petulant child.

”I’ll be with you all in just a second.” Face still impassive, she joins her sister behind the counter. I suppose I couldn’t put this off forever. But this time I won’t run away.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Once Ruka arrives, Ameiko reaches under the bar and pools out a beautiful darkly embossed curved blade with a a leather-wraped hilt. Extending up from the guard for the first foot of the blade is a thinly decorated dragon inset with gold, a cyan colored gem in its eye. She holds the blade out across both of her hands towards Ruka and explains.

"この刃は、ツトのもので、村雨丸と呼ばれていました。 その起源は定かではないが、彼はこの刃で誓った。"

She looks away from the sword, staring at the floor as she tries to wipe away a painful memory. After a deep breath she looks at Ruka and resumes talking.

"私はあなたがあなたの能力が成長し、彼が好きな同じ武器で練習しているのを見たので、私はこれがあなたのものになる運命にあることを知っていました。 あなたが準備ができたときにあなたにそれを与えるだろうと思って、私はあなたからこれを保ちました。 私は今、あなたが実実であるために、あなたは準備ができて生まれてきたことに気付きます。

村雨丸を取り、誇りを持ってそれを振るう。 私たちの名前にあなたが名誉をもたらすことを私は知っています。"

Tian:
"This blade belonged to Tsuto, he called it Murasamemaru. I'm not sure of it's origins, but he swore by this blade. He never let it leave his side, even until the bitter end.

As I've seen you grow in your abilities and when I saw you practicing with the same weapon Tsuto took a liking to, I knew this was destined to be yours. I have kept this from you thinking I would give it to you when you are ready, always telling myself that you were never going to be ready. I realize now that you have been born ready because you are a Kajitsu.

I want you to take Murasamemaru and wield it with pride. I know you will bring honor to our name."

She extends the blade to Ruka, bowing with respect.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Slayer 2 | HP 20/20 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) (+1 vs traps)| Saves: F:+5, R:+5, W:+2 (+1 vs traps)| BAB: +2, CMB: 6, CMD: +18, | Init: +3 | Perc. +6 | Active Conditions: None
More Info:
Oppressive Expectations: Perception

Ruka just stares at her sister for a moment. After the previous night, she had expected more recriminations. Lectures. Arguments. Not...this.

Tsuto's blade? A horrifying thought strikes her. Is this the blade that killed our father?!

She honestly isn't sure she wants anything to do with something that once belonged to Tsuto. Not after everything he had done. But...this is clearly important to Ameiko. Whatever Tsuto had become, he had still been their brother. Ameiko had loved him. And in his own twisted way...he had loved her too.

"この栄誉に感謝します。この刃で私を信じて"

She takes the sword solemnly and bows to her sister.

"私はそれをうまく使うと約束します"

The sword is beautiful. The hilt fits in her hand like it was made for her. She tries hard not to think about what that blade might have done.

I suppose I'm already using his lockpicks. How is using his sword any different?

She needs to not think about this right now. For Ameiko's sake. She carefully removes her other nodachi and offers it to her sister.

"この練習用ブレードは私にとても役立ちました。戻ってくるまで私のためにそれを保持しますか?"

She places Murasamemaru carefully into its sheath on her back. Bowing one last time, she offers Ameiko one of her rare smiles.

"妹、すぐに会いましょう。"

Tien:
"Thank you for this honor. For trusting me with this blade."

"I promise I will use it well.

"This practice blade has served me well. Will you hold it for me until my return?"

"I will see you soon, sister."


Female Gnome "Gingerbread" Witch | HP 9/9 | AC 12, T 11, FF 11 | Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +3 | CMD 11 | Init +3 | Perception +4

Poppy beams at Ameiko over the mention of more caffeine. This was her third cup for the day. Best things humans ever invented. Was there such a thing as too much coffee? Poppy hoped she'd never find out.

"Yes, keep spoiling me vith kind vords and free drinks. Zat vill SURELY get me to leave!"

She could feel the energy of the room peaking, everyone anxious to get to journeying. Perhaps, too nervous to move? She was about to make a playful joke about adventuring from the safety of their imaginations instead, when a minute later Shalelu's entrance provids the perfect tipping to the general mood.

She nods a quiet 'thank you' to Bethana before taking the fresh coffee. Addressing the recently arrived Elf, Poppy jumps out of her much too large seat, her chopins clacking against the wood floor suddenly. "Depends on how it tastes. Vhat kind of vine would pair best vith zis 'Sand Devil'. Maybe a Cabernet? "

Poppy moves towards the front entrance but is briefly distracted by the beautiful language shared between the Kaijitsu siblings, before managing to contain her curiosity and recognize it was a moment not meant for her. She would ask them about the intricacies of their words later, perhaps. She continues past Shalelu, pausing for a moment to say bluntly, "No, but in all seriousness, thank you for not letting us perish to horse demon. Vould be embarrassing if Poppy became cautionary tale." and exits The Rusty Dragon with a sip of her beverage, wincing at the morning sun.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

When Ruka takes Murasamemaru into her hands, a feeling of a fresh start washes over. Thoughts of making her own way dance in the back of her head. Perhaps she will be able to use this blade differently than Tsuto did, helping to right the wrongs and protect those that need it? The blade did not drive Tsuto do what he did, those crimes were of his own making. Possessing such a masterfully crafted weapon will certainly enable her to right those wrongs and make her own legacy for herself. Why, she could-

Ameiko snaps Ruka from her daydream as she takes Ruka's old blade with a nod and a bow, the smallest of smiles on her lips. "私はあなたがすることを知っています。 ご注意ください、無事に戻って来てください。"

Tien:
"I know you will. Please take caution with you and come back to me safe."

Ameiko takes the blade and turns to face the group "Good luck, everyone."

To Asuka she adds with a wink "Take good notes, I can't wait to hear your story when you return."

Shalelu grins "Only you would think about how to cook The Devil, Poppy.
Everyone else is worried about being eaten by it, and here you are thinking eating it!"

She chuckles once to herself before smirking to the gnome before saying "Alright, let's get going." and helping lead them out of the Dragon.

As expected, Shalelu’s expertise with the area allows for your group to travel towards the old fishing trail that leads into the swamp with relative ease. The weather is warm and the sky is clear as you make your last preparation and head out of town in search of a swamp and some goblin ears.

Following the Lost Coast Road south and staying close to the sea, you skirt the edge of the southern portion of the Ravenroost mountains. The roads continue to wind back and forth and it feels like you are traveling further east and west than you are south. After another mile you turn east through the farmlands of Ashen Moor and follow that for another mile and a half before the road turns south and eventually the swamp begins to appear on the horizon.

As you descend down the path the swamp starts to come into view. The Brinestump Marsh lies ahead of the group like a fog-shrouded terror. Twisted cypress and mangrove trees rise from low-lying ground fog, and the whole area is covered in reeds, thickets, and thorny bushes. The locale is rife with the noise of living things -- birds, frogs, insects, and perhaps larger beasts.

Shalelu calls a halt and turns back to face the group "Alright then, this is where I'll bid you farewell. Do please try to take care of yourselves, and Poppy-" she turns and points to the gnome "Please stay away from The Devil? Hmmm?"

She inclines her head and turns to head back up the trail, heading back to Sandpoint.


Human (Tian-Min) Monk (Zen Archer) 2 | HP 15/15 | AC 16, T 16, FF 10 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +6 | CMD 14 | Init +2 | Perception +8

Kaji answers Ameiko, ”No, I am fine. I have some rations, and can forage if needed.”

His eyes follow Ruka and Ameiko. Hopefully they are able to bury their hard feelings. He eats his breakfast, looking at Shalelu and saying, ”Thank you for guiding us. We appreciate your assistance.”

————————————————————————————

On the road, he walks next to Ruka and says, ”That looks like a fine blade. Does it have a name?”


Female Human Slayer 2 | HP 20/20 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) (+1 vs traps)| Saves: F:+5, R:+5, W:+2 (+1 vs traps)| BAB: +2, CMB: 6, CMD: +18, | Init: +3 | Perc. +6 | Active Conditions: None
More Info:
Oppressive Expectations: Perception
Kajiwara Shogahiro wrote:
”That looks like a fine blade. Does it have a name?”

"Murasamemaru, apparently." Her frown becomes more pronounced as she remembers the history of the blade. "It belonged to Tsuto. Ameiko had kept it...maybe as a memory of how he used to be? I'm not actually sure." She shudders slightly. Wielding the blade that may have killed father...how could Ameiko think this was a good idea?

It's just a sword. You can use it for a better purpose. Ruka is trying very, very hard to convince herself of that. "It is a fine blade." That's all it is. A better sword than the one you were using. Focus on that.

Once they actually reach the marsh, Ruka looks around with wide eyes. Before Lonjiku's death, she'd spent almost all her time in either the manor or the Glassworks. After...well, she'd spent more time in the Glassworks and less in the manor, but otherwise little had changed. She's never been out in the wilds like this.

It looks creepy. The croak of a nearby frog is enough to make her jump and instinctively reach for Murasamemaru. She doesn't actually draw the weapon, but merely having her hand on its hilt makes her feel calmer. If they are attacked, she'll be able to protect people. It won't be like before.

K. Geography: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Although she still doesn't know anything about the Brinestump or where to go.

"I guess we just keep following the trail?" She looks to the others to see if they have any better ideas.


M Human Wiz 2 | HP 13/13 | AC 12/12/10 | CMD 12 | F+1 R+2 W+4 | Init +6 | Perc +1 |
Spells:
0: Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Read Magic | 1st: Infernal Healing, Mage Armor, PfE + Enlarge Person |
GM ShadowLord wrote:
"Ready for your big day today? You better bring some extra writing implements just case you lose yours. Don't want to be stuck out there without a way to capture the important information, do you?"

Gulp. Sam was quick to swallow his mouthful of omelette at this. His favorite author caught without ink and paper? Not if he could help it.

"Oh, if it comes to that, Ms Narukami, you can have some of mine. I carry plenty of pen and paper for geographic survey. Would that do?"

Darn it. Was that too eager? The wizard had to remind himself that he didn't actually want to be ousted as a fan of the tengu's writings. He worried about what his two mentors would say - the headmaster Mr Gandethus wasn't likely to approve of such... fanciful literature, especially for his studious protege, while Mr Parooh... well, Mr Parooh would just tease him about it for the next year. Samton therefore added, as casually as he could:

"So, uh, you're a writer, Ms Narukami?"

Yup, that was him, Samton Verro, very clever and serious whiz kid of Sandpoint who only read very clever and serious books. Definitely not the type to enjoy the tengu's fantastical tales of ribaldry and awesomeness. Wasn't even aware of her work. Sigh. Why did things have to be so complicated? This was where Shalelu walked through the door and Sam nearly choked on his coffee. It was set to be a complicated day.

The youngster spent the rest of the meal staring into his plate, unable to speak or eat. How could he possibly swallow another bite with his stomach already full to bursting with butterflies? The only real movement seen from him while the others finished up was a raising of eyebrows at the tiny chef's assertion: eat the Sandpoint Devil? Sam couldn't help but admire her gumption, but if just half the stories about The Devil were true, then the tiny gnome represented nothing but an appetizer to the monster. Eventually the meal ended, however, after which the young man made sure to thank the elder Kaijitsu both politely and genuinely, and then... then they were off.

It was a spectacularly odd feeling, being out on your own adventure for the first time. Samton couldn't help but think on Asuka's heroes, their first act humble beginnings and draw comparisons to himself; would he ever be as... well, cool? He dismissed the idea with a little smirk, however. This was the real world, not one of those silly stories. No, it was best for Sam not to get any grand ideas, and simply do what he did best. And so he did, in pulling out his notebook and regularly jotting down every notable feature of the Lost Coast Road in walking. The area was already well documented, of course, but it would help him in his own map of Brinestump Marsh.

Know (geography): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Unfortunately, a certain someone had him rather distracted. It wasn't the elf's fault, obviously. Samton recognized that and blamed only himself. It was just that her, in her role as guide, walking in front of the group presented certain challenges. A teenager's eye tended to wander. Why had the gods made the flesh so strong and the mind so weak?
Still, he managed to make some decent notes (Man, Mr Parooh wouldn't even recognize these as mine), and surely enough, the group now stood before the true start of their challenge: Brinestump Marsh. The soggy landscape looked forbidding enough even without the knowledge that goblins waited for them within.

GM ShadowLord wrote:
"Alright then, this is where I'll bid you farewell."

"!" At the ranger's departure, Sam was immediately overcome with concern. Not for himself, mind you, nor even for the party, but for the elf now going alone. He couldn't help himself. He knew that she was infinitely more capable in the wild than any one of them, and yet - he worried.

"Ms Andosana..." What was there to say? "Just... Please take care of yourself."


Human (Tian-Min) Monk (Zen Archer) 2 | HP 15/15 | AC 16, T 16, FF 10 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +6 | CMD 14 | Init +2 | Perception +8

Kaji nods. ”Grandfather told me that in Minkaian culture, blades were often passed down in the family from one generation to the next. They are given names - sometimes by their creator, sometimes by the family. I am curious how such a fine blade came to Tsuto. I think you shall prove yourself a more capable wielder than he was.”

As Shalelu leaves them, Kaji bows. ”Thank you for your guidance. Your assistance in this is most appreciated.”

Kaji avoided looking at Samton - during the trip down, it became clear that the boy was smitten with the elf. The distraction of her joining them could get the boy killed if he wasn’t paying attention to his surroundings.

Once Shalelu was gone, Kaji knelt on the ground, looking for recent tracks, particularly those of goblins.

Survival: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21


2 people marked this as a favorite.
DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Shalelu turns back when Samton calls her name. After the awkward pause where he tells her to be safe?, she can't help but help but quirk a brow out of curiosity. If there was one person who could roam the nation by themselves and take care of themselves, it was Shalelu Andosana. "I will. Same to you uhm," She scatches her head while she tries to recall the name of the boy "Samwell." she concludes. Without waiting for a response she turns and continues back on her way.

Kajiwara picks up the trail that they are looking for. Though it doesn't immediately have any goblin tracks evident, it looks like the most well used and worn path in sight.

After the first six hundred yards the area begins to change from wide opens fields to an overgrown swamp with dead and dying foliage and soggy terrain that likely contains all manner of possible horrors. In the distance ahead of you appears to be a rickety old wooden bridge. As you continue to walk towards it, there is a large snap of a branch somewhere off to the left of the path, loud enough that the party freezes in its place.

In the direction of the noise of the branch something scuttles off in the underbrush out of sight. As you pivot around to look for the sound of the noise, it becomes painfully obvious how similar the terrain looks out here and how easy it would be to get lost. You all realize that without this path you are on, you would need to be very conscious of directions so as not to lose your way.


Female Human Slayer 2 | HP 20/20 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) (+1 vs traps)| Saves: F:+5, R:+5, W:+2 (+1 vs traps)| BAB: +2, CMB: 6, CMD: +18, | Init: +3 | Perc. +6 | Active Conditions: None
More Info:
Oppressive Expectations: Perception
Kajiwara Shogahiro wrote:
”Grandfather told me that in Minkaian culture, blades were often passed down in the family from one generation to the next. They are given names - sometimes by their creator, sometimes by the family. I am curious how such a fine blade came to Tsuto.”

"Mother might have given it to him. She was the one primarily interested in maintaining ties to Minkaian culture." Ruka looks slightly more cheerful at this thought. "Perhaps it belonged to her side of the family. I doubt Ameiko knows or she would have said something, but maybe there are some records-"

She's interrupted by the sound of a branch snapping. Again her hands flies to Murasamemaru's hilt as she whirls around to look for the source of the noise. I may be jumpy, but that was no frog!

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

"Um, did anyone see what made that noise?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tiefling Paladin (hospitaler) 1/Oracle of Life 1 | HP 22/22 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | F +5 R +3 W +2 | CMD: 15 | Resist cold/electricity/fire 5 | Init +3 Per -1 | Darkvision 60 ft.

As they leave Sandpoint behind, Lor-Sinn looks around wide-eyed, similar feelings as those of Samton stirring in her heart. So this was it! An assignment! The chance to prove herself! She hastens her steps until she draws even with Shalelu, fully intent on picking the ranger's brain about the area they were travelling through and Brinestump Marsh itself, but very soon diverging into completely unrelated topics. As usual.

It dawns on her that she hasn't actually learned anything useful just as the elf takes her leave from the group. "Oh, so which way now? Do we just..." She mimes walking with her fingers in the direction of the marsh. "Do we need to build a boat? A raft?"

Knowledge geography (untrained): 1d20 ⇒ 19

But her mentor continues walking without responding. Aha! A test! Fortunately, Ameiko's cousin seems to have found a path, so Lor-Sinn hurries to follow, staying at the back of the group (rearguard!) with her bow strung and half-drawn, swiveling her head from side to side every couple of seconds, trying to be as alert as possible.

"Ow. It doesn't take long for pain to develop in her neck at this rate, so she starts doing some stretching exercises that she had learned in basic training, tilting her head from side to side and causing her vertebrae to crack loudly.

Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (16) - 1 = 15

Ruka Kaijitsu wrote:
"Um, did anyone see what made that noise?"

"Sorry, that was my neck."


Challenge 1/1
Spells Remaining:
Spells/Effects Active:
Mage Armor
AC 18 T 14(18 vs incorp touch) FF 14| Current HP 20/20| F +4 R +3 W +1(+5 vs charm/compulsion)| Init +3| Perc +1 (-1 for sight) Low-light vision
Samton Varro wrote:

Gulp. Sam was quick to swallow his mouthful of omelette at this. His favorite author caught without ink and paper? Not if he could help it.

"Oh, if it comes to that, Ms Narukami, you can have some of mine. I carry plenty of pen and paper for geographic survey. Would that do?"

Darn it. Was that too eager? The wizard had to remind himself that he didn't actually want to be ousted as a fan of the tengu's writings. He worried about what his two mentors would say - the headmaster Mr Gandethus wasn't likely to approve of such... fanciful literature, especially for his studious protege, while Mr Parooh... well, Mr Parooh would just tease him about it for the next year. Samton therefore added, as casually as he could:

"So, uh, you're a writer, Ms Narukami?"

Asuka puffs up proudly. "I sure am! You might have seen my stories in the paper. I also like to tell the kids around town cause they get really into it. Oh, and I appreciate the extra writing stuff. I use my talons for writing so I basically just need the ink and paper. I gave up on pens cause I kept losing them."

Her brain finally realizes she doesn't actually know what "geographic survey" means. "What's a geographic survey?" Asuka knows the best way to determine a word's meaning is to break it down into its parts that you do know the meaning of. She heard the word "geode" used as another word for "rock," and "graphic" basically meant "really detailed pictures." She saw someone working for the mayor getting people to answer a survey, which was a bunch of questions about stuff. Something clicks and she's certain that she has figured it out. "Oh! Are you going to ask people to answer questions about rocks you draw? Like to teach them stuff?"

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15-2 if sight-based perception


Female Gnome "Gingerbread" Witch | HP 9/9 | AC 12, T 11, FF 11 | Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +3 | CMD 11 | Init +3 | Perception +4

Poppy's caffeine crash hit just as they were reaching the outskirts of the Marsh. She had spent the hours of travel chatting with the group alongside her mule, Arti, who carried her cooking kit, some prepped food, spices and a half dozen other sundries. She had left Choke behind due his namesake, believing he would live up to it and cough at the most inopportune time. Generally it wasn't a concern, but seeing this 'quest' might rely on some degree of stealth to catch Goblins unaware, she felt it best not to tempt fate and instead left him behind with her cart, in Ameiko's care.

Her mess of red hair tumbles about as she wakes with a start at Shalelu addressing her, drooling a little on the back of the saddlebag she had been using for a pillow. Sitting up in the saddle, she wipes her mouth and sighs. She didn't even realize she'd fallen asleep, it must have been for just a moment. Damn. Coffee 0. Sleep 1.

She turns to Shalelu shaking the grogginess from her head, "Poppy makes no promises!". Her reddened eyes clearing, Poppy notices the marsh and senses a tickle of fear run up her spin for the first time.

That tickle increases to a full on knot in her stomach as they make their way deeper and deeper into the swamp. The gnome huddles a little closer to Arti, smack dab in the midlle of their marching order. She jumps slightly at the noise, and squints out at the moody bog for any sign of what it might have been. She had been in fights before but this felt different, like walking into the mouth of some great beast. Trust your companions. This is their arena of expertise.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

"Might've been more than your neck, Horned-One." she replies quietly to her armored ally.


M Human Wiz 2 | HP 13/13 | AC 12/12/10 | CMD 12 | F+1 R+2 W+4 | Init +6 | Perc +1 |
Spells:
0: Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Read Magic | 1st: Infernal Healing, Mage Armor, PfE + Enlarge Person |
Asuka Narukami wrote:
"What's a geographic survey? Oh! Are you going to ask people to answer questions about rocks you draw? Like to teach them stuff?"

The young man gave her a stare blanker than the paper that was their shared medium. What?

"What? No, it's..." Hold on. He was a smart guy. He could reverse-engineer whatever logic had led the tengu to her conclusion. Questions... survey, yes. That followed. And then 'geographic' could... but then rocks... Geode! Got it! "Oh, no, I'm sorry, I meant, um... I draw maps. As in 'geography'. I'm a cartographer. Well, an apprentice cartographer. And to do so I examine land, as in I literally 'survey' it. Sorry. I should have been clearer."

Far from thinking less of the writer for the misinterpretation, Samton actually admired the way her mind had leapt at not-so-obvious connections. It spoke to a flexibility of thought. Perhaps it was that unconventional mindset that made her a great writer. He wondered if this was something shared between artists. It hadn't escaped him that his academic texts were written in a polar opposite, very rigid, frame of mind, and that he himself was similarly pretty rigid in thought. Sam thought so, anyway. It might be why the arcane suited him. They were different beasts, in so far as minds went. But this didn't mean that the owl couldn't admire the parrot.

Hm. If he wasn't much mistaken, Lor-Sinn was somewhat infamous in town for a similarly unconventional mindset.

----------

Samwell. Samwell.

Well. At least she could abbreviate his name right. And honestly, what had he expected? It had been at least a year since Sam had been able to maintain anything even approaching a conversation with the elf. And it wasn't as if he actually believed that the two would ever be an item in anything but his wildest fantasies. Samton knew all of this, and indeed told himself this a fair few times over as the group trudged through the mire. But none of it stopped his heart feeling like it had just been chewed by a wolf and then spat back out in rejection.

Fortunately some murderous swamp monstrosity arrived to help distract him. What the heck had that noise been? The wizard looked about the soggy landscape. Were they being pursued? Already? That was hardly the best omen for the party's expedition. This left the question, however, whether they should retaliate in kind.

"Guys?" he asked quietly. "Do we pursue?"

The cartographer was already scanning the immediate area for notable markers. The number of branches in the tallest tree. The placement of the moss on the funny-shaped rock. The angle of the uprooted logs. Yes, he felt fairly confident the group could find their way back to the trail should they decide to investigate.

Know (geography): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

Not sure if you were fishing for such a check with that last sentence, GM, but there it is.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Lor-Sinn looks around for notable signs or markers that would indiciate the direction based upon information they were provided. After a brief exchange with their resident cartographer, Samton 'Samwell' Verro announces that he knew exactly where the group was and which direction they needed to continuing traveling to likely run into the trail based on the local markers. What he didn't know however, was what the hell that noise just was.

Ruka did know what the noise was, catching sight of something moving away from them in a different direction from the trail, disappearing around a bend out of sight. Whatever she saw, it was a single creature and not multiple and it didn't quite look like a goblin, something a little bit bigger.

Follow the mysterious disappearing creature deeper into the swamp off the trail or continue to follow the fishing trail?


Female Human Slayer 2 | HP 20/20 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) (+1 vs traps)| Saves: F:+5, R:+5, W:+2 (+1 vs traps)| BAB: +2, CMB: 6, CMD: +18, | Init: +3 | Perc. +6 | Active Conditions: None
More Info:
Oppressive Expectations: Perception

"There was something in the bushes. Not sure what." Ruka grips the hilt a little tighter. "It wasn't a goblin; too big. Whatever it was went off in that direction." She points farther off the trail.

Samton Verro wrote:
""Guys?" he asked quietly. "Do we pursue?""

Ruka hesitates, then shakes her head. "I don't think we should. It was moving away from us; for all we know we'll never see it again. If we go running off after every strange swamp creature we'll never find what we're actually looking for. Just...keep an eye out I guess." Although part of her does want to pursue, find the creature and make sure it can never hurt anyone, make sure everyone is safe...

No. Not the time, she admonishes herself. It may not even be dangerous to people. Focus on the task at hand.

Seeing Sam making notes about their location reminds her of something else. "Oh!" She opens her belt pouch and pulls out a compass. "Would you like to hang onto this? Since you're the one drawing the map, it might be helpful for you to always know which way is north."

Voting to continue following the trail, if that wasn't obvious.


Tiefling Paladin (hospitaler) 1/Oracle of Life 1 | HP 22/22 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | F +5 R +3 W +2 | CMD: 15 | Resist cold/electricity/fire 5 | Init +3 Per -1 | Darkvision 60 ft.

Lor-Sinn looks relieved at Poppy's assessment. "Oh, phew, I mean I can usually crack it pretty good, and my spine too, but I thought that was a little too... er, cracky."

She looks around at the others' concerned expressions. "So! Some beastie in the marsh, eh? What could it be? Marsh-wolf? Marsh-bear? Marsh-moose?" She pats her longbow reassuringly. "Whatever it is, we can take care of it!"


Human (Tian-Min) Monk (Zen Archer) 2 | HP 15/15 | AC 16, T 16, FF 10 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +6 | CMD 14 | Init +2 | Perception +8

Kaji shakes his head. ”It was moving away from us, and may not even be hostile to us. We should stay on the trail - pursuit is unnecessary. Let’s keep moving - but also keep an eye out as we go.”

Once the group is ready, Kaji continues leading them down the trail, alert for any signs of ambush.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9


M Human Wiz 2 | HP 13/13 | AC 12/12/10 | CMD 12 | F+1 R+2 W+4 | Init +6 | Perc +1 |
Spells:
0: Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Read Magic | 1st: Infernal Healing, Mage Armor, PfE + Enlarge Person |

"I dunno, Ms Imass," Samton said at the paladin's enthusiasm, furrowing his brow as he stared into the dreary distance. "Ru... Ms Kaijitsu isn't wrong. If we're to investigate every funny noise we hear in a swamp, we're not likely to complete this trek within the year."

Not a goblin, huh? What then? It could have simply been an animal as the tiefling suggested, the wizard wondered, although he was fairly sure there was no such thing as a marsh-moose. He hoped there was no such thing. Actually, the fact that the mystery whatsit had retreated immediately upon realizing its cover was blown indicated something other than predatory behavior. It almost indicated intellect. A scout of some sort perhaps? A scout for what?

"How about..." the young man began, suggesting a middle ground between the two proposals posited, "... we just trust in our eyes and ears? We heard it approach once, whatever it was. We can continue on the trail. Should we suspect we're being followed again, then we know this creature won't leave us be and that we have to deal with it. If not, well, then it has given up on us and that's that."

It wasn't the most proactive of plans, but then it also wasn't in the group's interest to waste time and resources on wild, possibly unnecessary, goose chases. Heck, Samton hadn't even mentioned the very worst case scenario he envisioned: that this being was properly clever and had meant to be heard, intending to lure them further into some dank, treacherous part of the swamp before springing its trap on them. He preferred not thinking of predators that devious in the marsh.

Ruka Kaijitsu wrote:
"Would you like to hang onto this? Since you're the one drawing the map, it might be helpful for you to always know which way is north."

"A-are you sure? These are pretty costly. Gee, thanks! This'll help."

The young man was surprised and very happy at the younger Kaijitsu's offering. Although he felt confident in his ability to gauge directions by landmarks, it was in his academic nature to prefer double-checking any data. Sam looked very pleased indeed as he carefully placed the instrument in a secure pocket of his backpack. One should always take great care of anything lent to you.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Deciding to keep on the trail, the group continues to move farther away from the Lost Coast Road and after roughly fifteen hundred feet, the party moves over a soggy wooden bridge, careful not to step in the spots where the planks are missing. The entire area is eerily creepy and you have expect The Soggy River Monster to leap out from underneath the bridge when you cross it. Fortunately for you however, the party crosses completely uninterrupted.

Once Samton points it out, the path is relatively easy to follow and the party doesn't seem to wander from the trail. The cartographer dutifully maps the path the best he can and after another 1500 feet another soggy wooden bridge approaches.

More or less identical the previous one, this one is also in rough shape. Once more the party crosses without incident and another thousand feet sees a third wooden bridge. Ruka leads the party over followed by Lor-Sinn and then Samton. Samton just steps onto the other side when between one of the missing planks in the center of the bridge a large snake that has a thick, muscular body and dull green scales decorated with dirty brown stripes burst through between the wizard and witch behind him. Both Kajiwara and Ruka being on either end of the marching order are the slowest to react to the danger.

Knowledge Nature DC 12:
This is a swamp-dwelling python known as a constrictor snake, among the most deadly predatory animals of the tropical wilds.

I'll need a formalized marching order moving forward please.

R1: Poppy, Asuka, Samton, Lor-Sinn, Snake, Ruka, Kajiwara

GM:

1d100 ⇒ 54
1d100 ⇒ 70
1d100 ⇒ 11
Init: Ruka: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Init: Kajiwari: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Init: Poppy: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Init: Asuka: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Init: Lor-Sinn: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Init: Samton: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Init: Snake: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Init: Snake: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Init: Ruka: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16


Challenge 1/1
Spells Remaining:
Spells/Effects Active:
Mage Armor
AC 18 T 14(18 vs incorp touch) FF 14| Current HP 20/20| F +4 R +3 W +1(+5 vs charm/compulsion)| Init +3| Perc +1 (-1 for sight) Low-light vision

The notoriously oblivious Asuka is not entirely sure what just attacked the group, but she's jumpy and ready for action. "Step back from the thing, Poppy, I'll protect you!"

Assuming she moves back

Asuka leaps forward to the spot Poppy just left, drawing her sword on the move, preparing herself to strike as soon as an ally comes forward to flank with her.

Readied Attack for when she has a flank:

Attack with Cold Iron Katana (flank): 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 4 + 2 = 16
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11


Female Gnome "Gingerbread" Witch | HP 9/9 | AC 12, T 11, FF 11 | Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +3 | CMD 11 | Init +3 | Perception +4

Poppy pulls firmly on the reins of Arti, starting across the bridge, hoping he had gotten used to them by now when a massive splash followed quickly by the splintering of wood erupts mere steps before her. The huge viper launching from the middle of the bridge sends Poppy reeling, nearly collapsing onto the soggy earth. For a split second, she freezes, unsure whether to grab her crossbow or try and take cover behind a nearby rock. Asuka's command from behind breaks her from her adrenaline trance and she hops up, retreating to safety behind her battle ready feathered friend, near Kaji.

Poppy uses her whole turn to withdraw. Not today, Snek!


Tiefling Paladin (hospitaler) 1/Oracle of Life 1 | HP 22/22 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | F +5 R +3 W +2 | CMD: 15 | Resist cold/electricity/fire 5 | Init +3 Per -1 | Darkvision 60 ft.

"Marsh-snake!" Lor-Sinn already has her bow half drawn, so it's the work of a moment to draw it fully and aim the arrow at the snake. She looses just as Asuka leaps forward, just as eager as the tengu to protect the rest, especially the smaller Poppy.

Attack, bow: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 2

She is so excited that she releases too early, the arrow sailing off into the marsh and scaring off some frogs, and the bow string twanging and snapping painfully against her forearm.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human Wiz 2 | HP 13/13 | AC 12/12/10 | CMD 12 | F+1 R+2 W+4 | Init +6 | Perc +1 |
Spells:
0: Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Read Magic | 1st: Infernal Healing, Mage Armor, PfE + Enlarge Person |

If it seemed young Sam was oddly calm and collected at seeing a 9-odd ft. snake burst out of the ground directly in front of him, it was only because he was in utter shock with his heart lodged somewhere in his throat. Rest assured that if the wizard had been able to scream, he would have.

Know (nature): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

But sense and sensibility being used to overriding the young man's emotions, he regained some semblance of functionality as he realized he recognized the monstrosity. Was it from a book...? No, he remembered now. The elven ranger had told Samton about this reptile, years ago, when their relationship had been a lot simpler, back before adolescence put funny ideas in his head. Regardless, he had to tell the others.

"Constrictor snake! Get too close and it will try to strangle you to death!"

Thinking it best to follow his own advice, Sam backed away from the bridge. But not without trying his best to aid the group. Out of one pocket came a flask of virulent green something that the wizard held out towards the beast. This didn't result in much of anything, not before the incantation. With the arcane mutterings, however, the liquid within began to glow - within the second that same light shot out towards the snake as an emerald arrow.

Attack (Acid Splash): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Acid damage: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Move action to retrieve item, 5 ft. step back, and then Acid Splash with standard? Seems about right. Oh, and heads-up, GM: if anyone actually gets grabbed, I use the bonded item ability to cast Liberating Command as an immediate action.

EDIT: I'm getting grabbed, aren't I?


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

What’s that Samton?! Why would I attack the adjacent, harmless looking human? >.>

Lor-Sinn’s ranged attack misses, injuring the frogs and her own forearm more than the dangerous constrictor snake who has eyes for Samton. The huge snake slithers forward on the shoddy bridge, quickly closing the gap between it and the wizard. As it closes within striking range, it bursts forward in a flash of speed and opens its mouth to bare its rather sharp looking fangs. Samton doesn’t get to stare at the fangs too long however, as they streak toward his left thigh and bury deep into his flesh.

Bite: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

If this was a poisonous snake, Samton would be extremely worried right now about snake venom. He knows that this particular creator represents a different threat however, constriction. While holding on to Samton with its fangs buried in his thigh, it’s body quickly coils around and around him, slithering loops around his body until it’s large body has circled him no less than six times.

Free grab: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24
Damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

While holding the wizard in it’s grasp, it begins to tighten by constricting the human within. Tightening more each time he struggles or breathes, he quickly finds his chest collapsing in on him and his lungs unable to fill with oxygen. Gasping as his ribs begin to crack, the cartographer loses conscious and goes limp inside as he begins to die.

R1: Ruka, Kajiwara, R2: Poppy, Asuka, Samton, Lor-Sinn, Snake


Human (Tian-Min) Monk (Zen Archer) 2 | HP 15/15 | AC 16, T 16, FF 10 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +6 | CMD 14 | Init +2 | Perception +8

Kaji whips around as the snake bursts through the bridge, moving too slow to stop it from grabbing Samton. His bow came up, his other hand went to his quiver, and he looses two arrows at the snake.

Flurry, PBS: 1d20 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 + 1 = 8

Flurry, PBS: 1d20 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 + 1 = 14
Damage, PBS: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


Female Human Slayer 2 | HP 20/20 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) (+1 vs traps)| Saves: F:+5, R:+5, W:+2 (+1 vs traps)| BAB: +2, CMB: 6, CMD: +18, | Init: +3 | Perc. +6 | Active Conditions: None
More Info:
Oppressive Expectations: Perception

Peering ahead and trying to distinguish 'trail' from 'marsh,' Ruka doesn't notice the danger behind them until she hears Samton call out something about a constrictor snake. She whirls around just in time to see him being crushed in the snake's coils. "Sam!"

Cursing herself for not paying better attention, she draws Murasamemaru off her back and runs back to the bridge. "Don't worry, I've got you!"

Murasamemaru, PA: 1d20 + 6 - 1 ⇒ (6) + 6 - 1 = 11
S. Damage, PA: 1d10 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 6 + 3 = 19

Except she doesn't, because none of her training has prepared her for trying to slash at a creature who happens to be curled tightly around someone she doesn't want to hit. Just as she starts to strike, the snake moves in such a way that she has to redirect the blow off to the side or risk hitting Sam.

The perils of always training alone, she thinks wildly. I'll have to fix that.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Challenge 1/1
Spells Remaining:
Spells/Effects Active:
Mage Armor
AC 18 T 14(18 vs incorp touch) FF 14| Current HP 20/20| F +4 R +3 W +1(+5 vs charm/compulsion)| Init +3| Perc +1 (-1 for sight) Low-light vision

Asuka gasps as the snake wraps itself around the poor wizard. She struts forward towards the snake, her sword at the ready. She grins--as much as someone with a beak can anyways--and addresses the snake. "As far as I'm concerned, you are just a big worm. And I woke up early today." She then brings down a powerful slash aimed right at the snake's head.

Attack with Cold Iron Katana: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Asuka is of course aware that the snake has no idea what she is saying. But it was a good line, and a line is worthless if it's never used! Plus, she at least has an audience to appreciate just how cool that was.


M Human Wiz 2 | HP 13/13 | AC 12/12/10 | CMD 12 | F+1 R+2 W+4 | Init +6 | Perc +1 |
Spells:
0: Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Read Magic | 1st: Infernal Healing, Mage Armor, PfE + Enlarge Person |

It is a good line, Asuka.

There are a great many lessons that may only be learned outside the class room. Studious though he was, Samton Verro was perfectly aware of this and had hoped to learn a great deal on the swamp expedition. As the great serpent wheeled about to face him, scaly skin bubbling away in a patch where the wizard had struck it, Sam learned that snakes were really not fond of having acid splashed on them.

Uh-oh.

Everything that took place next happened too quickly for him to register. One second his vision was nothing but fangs, the next those same fangs had disappeared into his thigh, and the next again all he could see was plated muscle coiling around him. It was only then that the pain kicked in. Mercifully, however, what with all air being crushed out of his meager frame, the young man blacked out almost instantly. What a clever design by nature.

Dying Con check: 1d20 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (11) + 1 - 4 = 8

GM, does Asuka not get her AoO when the snake moves away from her?


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Look at that! Here you are dying and still so vigilant! Yes, she does. Oversight on my part I suppose. Asuka may take an AoO.


Challenge 1/1
Spells Remaining:
Spells/Effects Active:
Mage Armor
AC 18 T 14(18 vs incorp touch) FF 14| Current HP 20/20| F +4 R +3 W +1(+5 vs charm/compulsion)| Init +3| Perc +1 (-1 for sight) Low-light vision

AoO: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Crit Confirm: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Crit Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Asuka takes time to land the perfect strike, splitting three large sections of the snake and injuring it too much for it to retain consciousness. The snake uncoils and loosens it grip on Samton who slumps out and falls to the ground covered in snake blood and guts.

Out of combat!


Tiefling Paladin (hospitaler) 1/Oracle of Life 1 | HP 22/22 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | F +5 R +3 W +2 | CMD: 15 | Resist cold/electricity/fire 5 | Init +3 Per -1 | Darkvision 60 ft.

Lor-Sinn had nocked another arrow, but hesitated loosing it as the snake moved to coil around Samton. She cursed at herself as the opportunity was gone in the next split second. Fortunately, the others came to the rescue, chopping the serpent in bite-sized pieces.

I wonder if it's edible... the stray thought entered her mind at the same time as her stomach gurgled unhappily, reminding the tiefling that breakfast had been quite some time ago. What mundane things we are preoccupied with sometimes in the face of catastrophe and death.

"Uh." She just stands there, unsure about what to do, still in shock over the sudden turn of events. They had been joking just moments ago about the three magical bridges and marsh trolls. Now Sam was just lying lifeless on one of those bridges, and Lor-Sinn felt utterly useless. She wished with all her heart that she was like Koya, or like Father Zantus, able to heal people with a touch, bring them back from the brink of death.


Challenge 1/1
Spells Remaining:
Spells/Effects Active:
Mage Armor
AC 18 T 14(18 vs incorp touch) FF 14| Current HP 20/20| F +4 R +3 W +1(+5 vs charm/compulsion)| Init +3| Perc +1 (-1 for sight) Low-light vision

Asuka flicks the blood off her sword, then deftly returns the sword to her sheath. She beams proudly. The victorious tengu! Slew the beast with a single blow (after softening it up first)! Can leave that parenthetical out when she writes this in her book.

She takes a moment to realize that Samton is not only unconscious, but bleeding out quite noticeably.

"Hey, uh. He's bleeding. Do any of you know how to stop that?"


Human (Tian-Min) Monk (Zen Archer) 2 | HP 15/15 | AC 16, T 16, FF 10 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +6 | CMD 14 | Init +2 | Perception +8

Kaji moves past Ruka to the unconscious Samton, kneeling beside him. Taking out his dagger, he begins cutting strips from the bottom of the boy’s cloak and attempts to stanch the bleeding.

Heal, First Aid: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

If I get an Aid Another, he’ll be stabilized.


Challenge 1/1
Spells Remaining:
Spells/Effects Active:
Mage Armor
AC 18 T 14(18 vs incorp touch) FF 14| Current HP 20/20| F +4 R +3 W +1(+5 vs charm/compulsion)| Init +3| Perc +1 (-1 for sight) Low-light vision

Asuka follows along as best she can, trying her best to stay out of the way while still being helpful when she can. This is not her forte at all, and she knows it. But she is happy to do anything she can.

Heal Aid: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18


Female Gnome "Gingerbread" Witch | HP 9/9 | AC 12, T 11, FF 11 | Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +3 | CMD 11 | Init +3 | Perception +4

Poppy watches as the monstrous reptile inflicts it's horror before being expertly dispatched, just as quickly as it came. Asuka's blade flies through the air with impeccable control, leaving Poppy dumbstruck. It's over in seconds, but the horror the creature had left in its wake hardens her face. Sam's body lay in a crumpled mess betwixt the snake's corpse, half in the swamp. It chose him over me...

The gnome ignores the thought of any other potential scaled vermin lying in wait to ambush, and hops across the broken boards to where the wizard lay joining the others who hover over him. She shoves the invertebrate aside somewhat to get a better angle opposite her allies and bends down. Brushing some muck off of his face nervously, Poppy looks him over briefly. She can tell by his raspy breath that he yet still lives, Asuka and Kaji had done an admirable job stopping his decline. She had seen death in her 103 years, but it was always the saddest for someone so green.

Poppy squints leaning close to Sam's face and breathes into his open mouth, before placing a petite hand over it with the other pinching his nose closed. "You do not have permission to die yet, young man. There is FAR too much snake to eat."

Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Female Human Slayer 2 | HP 20/20 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) (+1 vs traps)| Saves: F:+5, R:+5, W:+2 (+1 vs traps)| BAB: +2, CMB: 6, CMD: +18, | Init: +3 | Perc. +6 | Active Conditions: None
More Info:
Oppressive Expectations: Perception

Ruka stares in shock as the snake virtually disintegrates under Asuka's masterful strike. In the end, she hadn't hurt it at all. Merely stood by and watched while it attacked Sam. Useless, couldn't do anything, couldn't protect anyone... She's still frozen as Kajiwara and Poppy start trying desperately to administer first aid, Murasamemaru held limply by her side.

Seeing Poppy cast a spell is what finally shakes her out of her stupor. A spell...didn't I see a potion in the basement? Honestly most of her time packing the previous night is a blur to her now, a vague montage of shoving things into her bag with very little consideration for what they actually were. But now that she thinks about it, she's pretty sure she remembers grabbing a potion labeled 'Heal.'

She shrugs off her backpack and starts hurriedly rifling through it. The shovel, a lantern, a grappling hook...there it is! She grabs the vial and rushes over to Sam's side. "Here, take this, it'll be okay." I hope.

CLW Potion: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


M Human Wiz 2 | HP 13/13 | AC 12/12/10 | CMD 12 | F+1 R+2 W+4 | Init +6 | Perc +1 |
Spells:
0: Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Read Magic | 1st: Infernal Healing, Mage Armor, PfE + Enlarge Person |

At Kajiwara and Asuka's ministration, the perforated leg stopped bleeding. At Poppy's curative magic, the chest expanded as shattered ribs beneath repaired themselves. At Ruka's potion, the open wounds stitched themselves together into little more than a scrape. And lo, the limp figure of Samton Verro was snatched out of Pharasma's waiting line with a start.

"*GASP COUGH COUGH* Ouh, wha... What's...? Are... are you guys OK? Did anyone get hurt?"

The wizard looked up at the faces above him, visibly confused and obviously concerned. Only after being reminded of those seconds his brain hadn't registered due to acute lack of oxygen, did his features sink into self-reproach.

"Aw geez, I'm sorry, everyone. Should've just... backed away or something... I'll try to do better. And, uh, thanks. For, um, saving my life and everything."

Samton was well and proper disappointed with himself. Appreciative as he was to the others, and not to mention glad to be alive, he didn't like being a burden on anyone. Perhaps it was a sentiment that came with being rather independently minded. Perhaps it came with being an orphan, always feeling that he owed his life to the charity of others. Whatever the case, Sam was not the happiest camper on the swamp excursion right now, even as he tried thanking everyone for helping him in turn.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

As Samton climbs to his feel, some strange animal calls out loudly in the distance and numerous birds take flight away from something on the ground. Coincidentally, this just happens to the direction you are headed.

Lucky you.

After the third bridge the trail turns sharply west, winding around inlets of the marsh. The muddy trail leads up to a swampy lagoon with a view of the open ocean visible just beyond these shallow waters. A an old two-story building roughly 30'x50', its walls soggy with moss and its roof sagging with age, sits on the lagoon’s eastern shore. The door is closed and there are no signs of anyone or anything outside.

51 to 100 of 644 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM ShadowLord's Jade Regent All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.