Hell's Rebels 2nd Edition

Game Master Arrannai

Maps and Info | Kintargo | Loot | Rebellion


451 to 500 of 508 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

Female Human Rogue 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | F: +6, R: +10, W: +7 | Perc: +7, Stealth: +10 | Speed 25ft |Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Pool: None | Reactions: Nimble Dodge | Conditions: None

Enara straightens up in her chair. "I don't know Celestial, but I do understand Elven and Strix! And I'm quite good at deciphering documents. You might call it a hobby," she says with a wry smile.

"As for running down our other leads, hmmm..." I remember hearing about a serial killer in the Devil's Nursery. Something about "excruciations" coming back, too. Better look into those.

So, there are a couple different feats I have that make things work differently. I have Streetwise, which lets me use Recall Knowledge with Society to get the same information as Gather Information with Diplomacy. It's a higher DC but doesn't take any time. I also have Dubious Knowledge, where if I fail a Recall Knowledge check I get a piece of true information and a piece of fake information, with nothing telling me which is which. I'd like to use it to see what I know about both of those rumors, and then I'll figure out what I'm doing with the day. If it's noon now and we need to be back at 9:30 for curfew, that gives us 4 blocks of downtime today, right?

Also, my Society is +7 and my Diplomacy is +5.


Male Human Druid 2 | HP: 26/26 | AC: 18 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +10 | Perc: +8 | Speed 20ft | Hero Points: 1 | Focus Pool: 2/2 | Reactions: Shield Block | Conditions: None

Hemdar thanks Laria and Rexus for the breakfast, then goes off to regain his magic. As sits down to meditate, Tictic tugs on his arm to gain his attention. As he looks down, Tictic flexes leafy wing-like appendages that protrude from their back. After showing them off for a while, Tictic uses them to take to the air, flying up to the roof of a nearby building. They land somewhat clumsily, though, and scare off a flock of nearby birds.
Changing around Tictic's familiar abilities from burrower to flier, granting them a 25 ft fly speed.
"I don't have any particular leads we should look in to. However, we can't be the only people with rebellion on our minds after all that the Thrunes have done. I think our top priority should be to find those people. We may have to say, as Jilvi put it, 'Greetings strangers, I've been watching you, wanna join a rebellion?'"


Experience 890/1000 | Level 2 | #097: In Hell's Bright Shadow | Part 2: Rebuilding the Ravens | Day 3 (Starday, 5 Rova 4715)

"Two out of three isn't bad! I could certainly use the help," Rexus says, his face brimming with gratitude.

GM Rolls:

Enara (society): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Enara (society): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Enara (society): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Enara (society): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

Enara: You're a pretty active member of society in one way or another, so a lot of information makes it way to you whether you try for it or not. One thing you know for sure, you remember some talk about Clenchjaw's tavern having gone bad. (see info table)
Otherwise you remember some tidbits here and there. Something about Barzillai planning on tearing down some livery in town. A bar burnt down some nights ago with something about a drunken professor. Last is something about an insane gang boss making the streets unsafe at night.

To Hemdar's comment, Rexus chuckles. "I don't know that such an approach works for anyone but Jilvi. Though I have heard some folks are looking to help whoever saved people from the dottari at Aria Park two days ago."

The assessment that you have about eight functional hours is correct. That is enough time to get in a day of crafting on something or do four blocks of either gathering information, selling items, or searching for a purchase.


CG fm gnome Cleric2 [Calistria] l 26hp l F +5, R +5, W +10 l Perc +8, Stealth +5 l Spd25 l Active Conditions: None l Hero Points: 1
Rexus wrote:
"Though I have heard some folks are looking to help whoever saved people from the dottari at Aria Park two days ago."

Jilvinirri frowns in concern at this pronouncement. "I think we should be very, very careful about trusting those folks," she says slowly after mulling it over for a minute. "If I were a Thrune agent, I'd be spreading similar rumors, and even sponsoring small groups of anti-Thrune partisans in the hopes of flushing out more genuine rebels." She sweeps a hand to encompass the group. "Not that we shouldn't recruit--we're going to have to, or this will just be the world's most dangerous social club--but we need to be really careful with who we talk to. Thrune's resources are enormous, and we won't be shown any mercy if caught."

GM, Jilvi would like to gather information about the power structures of the city. Do the nobles or the merchants have more power? Is Thrune divided between Army & Navy divisions in the city? Who leads the Chelish Citizens Group? Also looking for leaders of disaffecting populations, like the tieflings. Basically trying to see who all of our potential enemies and allies are.


Male Elf Wizard 2 | HP: 18/18 | AC: 17 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +8 | Perc: +6 | Speed 30ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | 2/4 1st lv. spells | 0/1 focus point | Spell DC: 18| Conditions: None

As Rexus stated his request for help, Emarel grabbed a stack of the papers and gave them a cursory glance. He paused at Enara's response, looking up at her. "You speak Elven, truly?" He smiled gladly. "ಎಂತಹ ಆಹ್ಲಾದಕರ ಆಶ್ಚರ್ಯ. ನಾನು ನಿಮ್ಮೊಂದಿಗೆ ಕೆಲಸ ಮಾಡಲು ಎದುರು ನೋಡುತ್ತಿದ್ದೇನೆ."

Putting the stack of papers back on the table, he turned to Rexus as well. "As you might expect, I do, of course, speak Elvish. I am also fluent in Celestial. Unfortunately, Strix is not something I have had the opportunity to learn, as of yet, but I believe I can still be of service. After all, reading is kind of what I do."

Emarel proceeded to listen to the rest of the conversation about recruitment, growing slightly more and more apprehensive as it went on. He was still getting used to how quickly this was turning into a massive scale revolution. Hell, he might have to talk to more new people. This is what he got for leaving his woods. "If it's all the same to you folks, I must be honest. I will leave the rumor gathering and recruiting to you, who seem much better suited to the task. For the time-being, I would prefer to work in a behind the scenes role. For example, perhaps looking over those runes we picked up earlier. If I'm right, I can use them to magically enhance some of our weapons, help I believe we could definitely use. Rexus, is there somewhere I could perhaps do my work that isn't putting the shop at risk during the day?"

Elvish:

"What a pleasant surprise. I look forward to working with you."


Experience 890/1000 | Level 2 | #097: In Hell's Bright Shadow | Part 2: Rebuilding the Ravens | Day 3 (Starday, 5 Rova 4715)

Rexus nods at Jilvi's suggestions. "I think that we should begin recruitment efforts very soon, but I must agree with your assessment," he says, obviously deep in thought. "Laria is a very good judge of character, and I'm sure the faithful among you are used to judging someone's honesty. Those are skills we will desperately need."

When Emarel speaks, Rexus visibly brightens. "Between you and Enara we should hopefully be able to get through these documents faster. I'll be working on them for most of my days, but if I could get a few hours out of the two of you at night it would make a vast difference. As for getting you a place to work on making supplies, I think that the Wasp's Nest would do best for now. If there are any tools that you need we could smuggle them in under the guise of supplies for the business."

I have downtime actions set for two of you:
Jilvi - Gather Information
Emarel - Transfer Rune

If the rest of you would like to chime in with questions or actions please do! If I don't have a response from somebody by about this time tomorrow I'll go ahead and assume they are also gathering information.


Female Human Rogue 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | F: +6, R: +10, W: +7 | Perc: +7, Stealth: +10 | Speed 25ft |Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Pool: None | Reactions: Nimble Dodge | Conditions: None

Enara smiles at Emarel, saying "నేను ఆశ్చర్యాలతో నిండి ఉన్నాను మిత్రమా."

Elven:
I'm just full of surprises, friend."

Addressing the rest of the group, Enara says "I'm going to head out and look into some rumors I've been hearing. There's been talk about Thrune bringing back excruciations, which don't sound pleasant, and there's something weird going on with Clenchjaw's." She stands and checks her knives as she continues. "Thing I'm really worried about, though, is there's apparently some serial killer preying on tieflings down in the Devil's Nursery. The tiefs ought to be our natural allies against the Thrunes, but they're hardly going to be joining our little rebellion if there's some Skinsaw cultist chopping up their families."

Finishing the buckle on her sword belt, Enara heads for the door. If nothing else, avenging the victims should please the Savored Sting.


CG fm gnome Cleric2 [Calistria] l 26hp l F +5, R +5, W +10 l Perc +8, Stealth +5 l Spd25 l Active Conditions: None l Hero Points: 1

"I'll go with you," Jilvi says, hopping out of her chair. "I've got a few inquiries of my own to make, and I can talk your out of any trouble you get into!"


Male Human Paladin 2 | HP: 32/32 | AC: 20 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +7 | Perc: +5 | Speed 20ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Pool: 1/1 | Reactions: Shield Block, Retributive Strike, Divine Grace | Conditions: None

While listening to the others as they spoke of next steps, Lucius sat down with his whetstone and applied it to his blade to pass the time. When Enara suddenly started to speak elvish, Lucius looked up momentarily with a look of both confusion and a hint of surprised admiration... if those around had to guess, Lucius was probably not multilingual.

Standing up, Lucius appears somewhat resolved as he finally spoke up "Maybe I should go with you both for some added protection if necessary? That said, I suppose I should lose this tabard." Removing his distinctive Order of the Godclaw Tabard over his armor, Lucius instead looked about for something less obvious "Laria, would you happen to have a plain cloak I can throw on? I need something to not draw attention to myself." Lucius was clearly annoyed at the prospect of having to hide in plain sight as a wanted man, but was nevertheless trying to be practical and sanguine about the situation.


CG fm gnome Cleric2 [Calistria] l 26hp l F +5, R +5, W +10 l Perc +8, Stealth +5 l Spd25 l Active Conditions: None l Hero Points: 1

"Oh Lucius, it's very brave of you to offer, but I'm afraid that handsome face of yours will draw far too much attention," Jilvinirri smiles innocently up at the paladin, producing a little wooden box containing rouge, lip paint, kohl, and powder. "Perhaps we can do something about that, hmm?"

Offering to use Deception to create a minor disguise for you--maybe darken your hair a bit, blacken a tooth, just generally help reduce your distinctiveness!


Experience 890/1000 | Level 2 | #097: In Hell's Bright Shadow | Part 2: Rebuilding the Ravens | Day 3 (Starday, 5 Rova 4715)

GM Rolls:

Gather Information (Enara): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Gather Information (Jilvi): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
Gather Information (Lucius): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
Gather Information (Tilorean): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

Laria does, in fact, have some cloaks and other such non-descript clothing items on hand from her days working with the Bellflower Network. Though she doesn't have much in Lucius's size, she manages to find one that a half-orc companion used to wear.

If Lucius agrees to being disguised, go ahead and give me a deception from the both of you. I believe Emarel will be moving a potency rune onto your sword, Lucius, so keep that in mind while you're out. For now I'm going to assume Tilorean is going along with you guys to gather information.

→ Day 3, 2:30 PM (Starday, 5 Rova 4715)

After a couple hours of talking to folks in the city, Enara and Lucius hear some interesting details. Enara hears the there have been four murders thus far, and that the most recent body was found by young tiefling woman by the name of Zea. Lucius catches some folks talking about a rumor:

“Been hearing strange noises around the old livery again. I hope Barzillai gets the government together enough to tear that old eyesore down.”

If you want to seek out Zea, you can try to use gather information again to find her. If you want to try for more rumors or try to get more information on an existing one indicate that instead. Also, buying and selling items can be done with downtime if that's more your speed.


CG fm gnome Cleric2 [Calistria] l 26hp l F +5, R +5, W +10 l Perc +8, Stealth +5 l Spd25 l Active Conditions: None l Hero Points: 1

Deception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18


Male Elf Wizard 2 | HP: 18/18 | AC: 17 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +8 | Perc: +6 | Speed 30ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | 2/4 1st lv. spells | 0/1 focus point | Spell DC: 18| Conditions: None

Emarel nods at the group deciding to go out and investigate. "Best of luck, friends. Be careful out there, and come back in one piece. Lucius, if you still want that upgrade, I can work on that but I would need to hold on to your sword while you go out, if you are comfortable with that. Hopefully you shan't need it. Though you still have your warhammer if you get into trouble. And thank you for that Rexus, the nest works perfectly fine. If I need anything, I will make it known."

Bidding the rest of the party adieu, Emarel took the rune, sword, and rest of his belongings to a room. He sat in the silence, examining the magic emanating from the runestone. As much as they were all quickly coming together, Emarel was glad to have some alone time, especially to do what he did best - studying magic. With a sigh of relief, he pulled out some parchment and dove into a new, exciting study.

Crafting check to transfer: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19


Experience 890/1000 | Level 2 | #097: In Hell's Bright Shadow | Part 2: Rebuilding the Ravens | Day 3 (Starday, 5 Rova 4715)

Eight hours after starting on the process, Emarel finds the transfer of the rune successful. It takes 35 silver of raw material, but looking at the longsword with its glowing rune makes it more than worth it.

Jilvi's disguise appears to work for Lucius, and you garner no unwanted attention while searching. For those that are not involved in activities at the Wasp's Nest, what would you like to do next?

@Emarel: You'll be busy until about 10:30 PM today, so unfortunately you'll be pretty much offstage until the meeting tonight. Though if you like you can chat up Rexus as he is also working down there.


CG fm gnome Cleric2 [Calistria] l 26hp l F +5, R +5, W +10 l Perc +8, Stealth +5 l Spd25 l Active Conditions: None l Hero Points: 1

Frustrated at her lack of success, Jilvi turns her focus to Enara's discoveries. "Want to go talk to this Zea, before bothering the others?" Jilvi asks her two human companions. "I wouldn't want to get the whole group riled over what might be a bum lead."


Female Human Rogue 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | F: +6, R: +10, W: +7 | Perc: +7, Stealth: +10 | Speed 25ft |Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Pool: None | Reactions: Nimble Dodge | Conditions: None

Enara nods. "Seems like our best lead right now anyway. Oh, and Lucius," she says, hand disappearing into the folds of her cloak and resurfacing with a sheathed dagger. "It's dangerous to go unarmed. Take this."


Male Human Paladin 2 | HP: 32/32 | AC: 20 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +7 | Perc: +5 | Speed 20ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Pool: 1/1 | Reactions: Shield Block, Retributive Strike, Divine Grace | Conditions: None

Taking the dagger with a nod, Lucius hides it away in his cloak. Not having his sword at his side made him uncomfortable, but the small blade was better than nothing.

Not used to skulking around, Lucius begins speaking in a normal voice "Thanks..." pausing a moment, Lucius shakes his head and matches the girls tone "I mean, thanks. By the way, heard some rumors about noises from the Livery again."


Experience 890/1000 | Level 2 | #097: In Hell's Bright Shadow | Part 2: Rebuilding the Ravens | Day 3 (Starday, 5 Rova 4715)

GM Rolls:

Gather Information (Hemdar): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Hemdar tries to gather some information before catching up with the group. Unfortunately for him, he does not manage to learn anything the rest didn't already know.

→ Day 3, 3:00 PM (Starday, 5 Rova 4715)

It only takes the group about half an hour more to find the woman you are looking for. Zea is a young tiefling woman with a tint of red to her skin, black hair, horns that curl and spiral from forehead toward the back of her head, and large yellow eyes that resemble those of a goat.

Zea opens the door to a small, rundown house that appears to be filled with many destitute folks of myriad ancestries. She does not look particularly surprised at your arrival—news travels fast in the slums. "I heard some folks wanted to investigate the murders here," Zea says, looking over the group with the scrutiny of one used to being betrayed by strangers. "I almost had my family pack up and run. But you..." She stops, flashing a pretty smile at Lucius. "Though you hide, some of our more discerning eyes and ears know exactly who you are. You could be with the Thrune, sure, but if we give up hope that of allies to strike back than we're the slaves that they want us to be."

Zea steps out of her home and closes the door behind her. "Unless you have any immediate questions, I can lead you to the site of the murder. Mayhaps the lot of you will spot something that we did not."


Female Human Rogue 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | F: +6, R: +10, W: +7 | Perc: +7, Stealth: +10 | Speed 25ft |Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Pool: None | Reactions: Nimble Dodge | Conditions: None

Smiling, Enara inclines her head to Zea. "I understand. The Thrunes do everything they can to make us suspicious and wary of one another. It serves their interests well, after all. Besides, striking back is our specialty."

Stepping outside with the others, she pulls her hood up and speaks quietly. "I think it best to examine the scene free of any preconception, but I am curious as to how long this has been going on for."


CG fm gnome Cleric2 [Calistria] l 26hp l F +5, R +5, W +10 l Perc +8, Stealth +5 l Spd25 l Active Conditions: None l Hero Points: 1

Jilvi nods gravely at Zea's explanation of the situation. "We'll do what we can to help--and we appreciate the risk you're taking in trusting us. Thank you." She follows the others, checking regularly to make sure the little group hasn't picked up a tail, humanoid or otherwise.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Stealth: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12


Male Human Paladin 2 | HP: 32/32 | AC: 20 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +7 | Perc: +5 | Speed 20ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Pool: 1/1 | Reactions: Shield Block, Retributive Strike, Divine Grace | Conditions: None

Raising his left brow curiously at Zea, Lucius grins lightly and responds "Our reputation proceeds us then, does it?" Making a motion towards the door, Lucius adds "Lead us the way then m'lady."


Experience 890/1000 | Level 2 | #097: In Hell's Bright Shadow | Part 2: Rebuilding the Ravens | Day 3 (Starday, 5 Rova 4715)

GM Rolls:

Random Encounter: 1d100 ⇒ 94

→ Day 3, 3:10 PM (Starday, 5 Rova 4715)

Zea smiles broadly at the group, signs of hope long sought brightening her face. She leads the group into an alley where the corpse of a tiefling man lay in his own blood. Zea stops rather far from the body, motioning for the group to continue. Jilvi thinks that she hears the flapping of small wings behind the group once or twice, but by the time they reach the corpse the noises have stopped.

"I knew Vel pretty well, so I'd rather stay back here," Zea says, propping herself against a dirty brick wall just in sight.

Examining the body is a Medicine or Perception check and examining the nearby area is a Perception check. Each check takes about ten minutes, so if everyone wants to attempt both it'll take 20 minutes.


CG fm gnome Cleric2 [Calistria] l 26hp l F +5, R +5, W +10 l Perc +8, Stealth +5 l Spd25 l Active Conditions: None l Hero Points: 1

Jilvi quietly nudges Lucius and Enara and lets them know about the unseen flier behind them. "My fear is it's an imp, so let's all be on our best behavior."

At the crime scene, the gnome takes a deep breath and starts to comb the area for clues.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12 welp!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Paladin 2 | HP: 32/32 | AC: 20 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +7 | Perc: +5 | Speed 20ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Pool: 1/1 | Reactions: Shield Block, Retributive Strike, Divine Grace | Conditions: None

Trying not to alert whatever is tailing them, Lucius nods lightly at Jilvi's warning and whispers back "Understood. The Thrune has eyes everywhere it seems."

Medicine: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

Moving towards the body, Lucius crouches down over the body to get a closer look. "Such a shame." His initial medical examination complete, Lucius lancing about the area trying to determine what may have occurred here, sussing out any clues potential clues.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

Wow, critical success! Lucius is a regular old Columbo with those roles XD


Experience 890/1000 | Level 2 | #097: In Hell's Bright Shadow | Part 2: Rebuilding the Ravens | Day 3 (Starday, 5 Rova 4715)

GM Rolls:

Hemdar (nature): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

→ Day 3, 3:30 PM (Starday, 5 Rova 4715)

Lucius takes note of many things at the scene of the crime: the victim is missing all of his teeth, there a small gouges of flesh in his chest, and there are bite marks from very small humanoid teeth on his neck.

Hemdar, alerted by the lack of any teeth on the corpse, thinks immediately to a particularly nasty fey creature: tooth faeries. The fluttering of wings Jilvi heard earlier makes the hypothesis all that much more solid.

If you would like to search about for tooth faeries, you could use either Survival or Gather Information. Either way it will take you about two hours to look about.


Male Human Druid 2 | HP: 26/26 | AC: 18 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +10 | Perc: +8 | Speed 20ft | Hero Points: 1 | Focus Pool: 2/2 | Reactions: Shield Block | Conditions: None

"Well, the good news is that the fluttering you heard probably wasn't an imp. The bad news is that it was a tooth fairy, or several. I know that sounds innocuous, but..." Hemdar indicates the man's toothless mouth and the tiny bite marks. "They're not exactly friendly. They're very small, so keep your eyes peeled."
Survival: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Hemdar will try to Recall Knowledge about what tooth faeries look like and what fey/magical abilities they have, and will relay that info to the rest of the group & Zea. His Nature bonus is +8.


Female Human Rogue 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | F: +6, R: +10, W: +7 | Perc: +7, Stealth: +10 | Speed 25ft |Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Pool: None | Reactions: Nimble Dodge | Conditions: None

Enara claps Lucius on the back, smiling. "Well done, big guy. We'll make a spy out of you yet." Hemdar's observation about tooth fairies causes her to turn her head to Zea. "Are tooth fairies usually a problem around here? Have the suddenly turned vicious?"

I'd like to use Society for Gather Information to see what rumors or sightings I might have heard of that suddenly make sense in light of this new information! My Society is a +7. If that doesn't turn up anything, I'll use my +5 to Diplomacy to try it the hard way.


Experience 890/1000 | Level 2 | #097: In Hell's Bright Shadow | Part 2: Rebuilding the Ravens | Day 3 (Starday, 5 Rova 4715)

Secret Checks:

Hemdar (nature): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Enara (society): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

→ Day 3, 3:30 PM (Starday, 5 Rova 4715)

Hemdar knows that tooth faeries carry magic pliers that they use to crush fingers and pull teeth. The pliers, for some reason or another, can cause paralysis. He also knows that they have a few innate spells, though he is not sure which exactly.

Enara remembers hearing something about an abandoned building nearby from which people have been hearing odd sounds in the night. That may be a lead.

"I hate to ask this of you," Zea says from her post some ways off. "But could you help me bury Vel? I can cover the costs and all, I just don't think I've got the strength to carry him out of here myself."


Male Human Paladin 2 | HP: 32/32 | AC: 20 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +7 | Perc: +5 | Speed 20ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Pool: 1/1 | Reactions: Shield Block, Retributive Strike, Divine Grace | Conditions: None

Shrugging, Lucius laughs at the thought of begin a spy "Instigator, spy... not exactly terms I ever thought would be applied to me. Strange days."

Standing up, Lucius brushes himself off and looks over at Hemdar somewhat incredulously "Tooth fairies? We really are living during strange times if that's the case." Glancing over at Zea with a nod, Lucius adds "I'd be happy to help." Moving towards the body, stretched out his upper body muscles as he prepared to carry Zel's away from the ally.


Female Human Rogue 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | F: +6, R: +10, W: +7 | Perc: +7, Stealth: +10 | Speed 25ft |Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Pool: None | Reactions: Nimble Dodge | Conditions: None

"Of course," Enara says, moving to help.


CG fm gnome Cleric2 [Calistria] l 26hp l F +5, R +5, W +10 l Perc +8, Stealth +5 l Spd25 l Active Conditions: None l Hero Points: 1

Content to supervise, Jilvinirri instead turns her attention to comforting Zea, if she can. "I think I speak for all of us," the gnome's arms sweeps out to include the others present. "...when I tell you that we'll work to get to the bottom of this, and spare your people any further suffering."

We should get the rest of the group before going to investigate the possible fairy hideout though!


Male Human Druid 2 | HP: 26/26 | AC: 18 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +10 | Perc: +8 | Speed 20ft | Hero Points: 1 | Focus Pool: 2/2 | Reactions: Shield Block | Conditions: None

"Well, tooth fairies are probably more strange and malicious than most fey, but they're all weird."
Hemdar also solemnly assists with burying Vel.
Agree that we should get the whole group before we go after some creepy fairy things.


Female Human Rogue 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | F: +6, R: +10, W: +7 | Perc: +7, Stealth: +10 | Speed 25ft |Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Pool: None | Reactions: Nimble Dodge | Conditions: None

Seco--thirded!


Male Human Paladin 2 | HP: 32/32 | AC: 20 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +7 | Perc: +5 | Speed 20ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Pool: 1/1 | Reactions: Shield Block, Retributive Strike, Divine Grace | Conditions: None

Agreed. I'd also like to have my blade back for that.


Experience 890/1000 | Level 2 | #097: In Hell's Bright Shadow | Part 2: Rebuilding the Ravens | Day 3 (Starday, 5 Rova 4715)

→ Day 3, 4:30 PM (Starday, 5 Rova 4715)

Taking the body to a nearby mortuary and having the body cremated (a rather common practice in a world with undead) takes the group about an hour. Zea handles most of the talking, being Vel's friend, though needed some backup glares from the group when the employee tried to charge her extra because "these damned Tieflings are so hard to burn."

"I'll make sure to spread the word about the tooth faeries and have people try and stay in their homes tonight," Zea says, her face a placid mask over her otherwise dour mood. "I'll make sure folks take in those that don't have homes, either. Gotta make sure we take care of our own."

The group has about five hours before heading back to meet Rexus and fetching Emarel. If you'd like to gather more information, buy or sell items, or anything else just let me know! Most things, due to the size of the city, will take two hours to accomplish.


Female Human Rogue 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | F: +6, R: +10, W: +7 | Perc: +7, Stealth: +10 | Speed 25ft |Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Pool: None | Reactions: Nimble Dodge | Conditions: None

I'd like to get a set of doubling rings, but I would need to draw on the party funds to do that and I've already got more than my share of the loot thanks to those boots we found. Anyone else's purchases should get precedence.


Experience 890/1000 | Level 2 | #097: In Hell's Bright Shadow | Part 2: Rebuilding the Ravens | Day 3 (Starday, 5 Rova 4715)

→ Day 3, 10:00 PM (Starday, 5 Rova 4715)

GM Rolls:

Gather Information (Enara): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Gather Information (Enara): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Gather Information (Hemdar): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Gather Information (Hemdar): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Gather Information (Jilvi): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Gather Information (Jilvi): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Gather Information (Lucius): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Gather Information (Lucius): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

The party spends the rest of their day before heading back to the Wasp's Nest gathering what information that they can in town. The group has a couple close calls with nearly alerting the dottari of their presence, but you manage to stay below their radar. Enara and Jilvi hear two new rumors:

“The Thrashing Badger burned down a few nights ago. They’re saying it was another bar fight gone too far, but they’re just a bunch of drunk old professors and barristers… Seems like a lot of places are burning down lately,between this, the Silver Star, and the Victocora estate.”

“Take care traveling alone at night in Redroof or Temple Hill. The gangs there are getting restless, and they say the Red Jills’ boss has gone some sort of crazy.”

Jilvi and Lucius hear some new details about rumors heard previously:

"Clenchjaw's used to be politics-free! Lately though, Clenchjaw has been getting sleepy and distracted in the evenings. So many fights have been breaking out that folks are worried the Thrune will shut it down!"

"I hear the Red Jills keep their hideout somewhere on the eastern slopes of Temple Hill. I sure as hell wouldn't want to get caught by those harpies!"

Waiting for the group back at the coffeehouse is plenty of good food and drink, and Laria leads you downstairs to speak with Rexus and the Fushi sisters. Emarel is wrapping up his work as the meeting starts, so he is able to contribute to the conversation just fine. Rexus leads the conversation at the start, seemingly in high spirits as usual.

"I figure it'd be best if we start a discussion about methods of organization tonight," he starts, a few loose sheets of paper in his hands. "Now I know not all of you are the most enthused about recreating the Silver Ravens, but adopting their legacy would do us a large favor in the direction of gaining the people of Kintargo's trust. Their leadership structure comprised of six primary members: a demagogue, a partisan, a recruiter, a sentinel, a spymaster and a strategist. The demagogue, tough and charismatic, a thought leader to inspire loyalty among our ranks, is a role that I think may be most suited to Jilvi here. The partisan, a strong and wise figure to maintain the security of our holdings and the safety of our member, is the role most suited to Hemdar, in my estimation. The recruiter, a position that explains itself, takes a person adept at navigating all levels of society. I feel Tilorean would be our best member to handle this. The spymaster, one who manages our more shadowy dealings with great discretion, is a perfect fit for Enara—no offense meant by the insinuation. The obvious pick for a strategist is Emarel, a man who's knowledge and expertise lasts many more years than my own. Last is the sentinel—a guardian of the organization who is ready to aid in whatever endeavors we struggle with the most. That is a role that, no doubt, best fits Lucius."

After speaking, Rexus waits a moment to gauge your reactions. "If there are any objections to this, please speak your mind."

So, Hell's Rebels has a whole system for managing the rebellion. In a face-to-face game, this would be a tedious endeavor. Via play-by-post it would be a nightmare. Thankfully, my specialty is doing tedious math. If it's alright with everyone, I will be taking a more descriptive approach to the rebellion mechanics while keeping track on the rebellion sheet that is linked up top. Please let me know if you have any questions, concerns, or objections to this approach.


Female Human Rogue 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | F: +6, R: +10, W: +7 | Perc: +7, Stealth: +10 | Speed 25ft |Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Pool: None | Reactions: Nimble Dodge | Conditions: None

Enara smirks and inclines her head slightly. "No offense taken, Rexus. It's always nice to be recognized and appreciated for what you're good at."

I don't have a problem with that, if you're up for it!


CG fm gnome Cleric2 [Calistria] l 26hp l F +5, R +5, W +10 l Perc +8, Stealth +5 l Spd25 l Active Conditions: None l Hero Points: 1

As the person taking point on the bookkeeping for an Ironfang Invasion campaign, a more abstract approach would be welcome.

"I'm no demagogue, I just want the people to get what they have a right to." Jilvi says with a wink at Enara.

"As for our next steps...well I think the obvious one is checking out this tooth fairy business. Solving the murders plaguing Zea's people will win us much-needed allies, assuming anyone needs a reason aside from it being the right thing to do." The gnome ticks off her fingers and reiterates the rumors the group had turned up.

"From where I'm sitting, what we need most is information, followed by money. Things like seems are messy at a tavern called Clenchjaw's, and more so in Temple Hill and Redroof districts. Apparently a gang called the Red Jills has been acting up? Not clear if either of these things have anything to do with Thrune's agents, or our goals in general. Thoughts?"


Experience 890/1000 | Level 2 | #097: In Hell's Bright Shadow | Part 2: Rebuilding the Ravens | Day 3 (Starday, 5 Rova 4715)

Korva Fushi sits forward in her seat, and what passes for a grin is visible on her beak. "If you need some money for the operation, that's a talent we've got plenty of practice handling. We're good at that and gathering information, but it sounds like you're doing pretty well on that front. I promise we'll only 'gather funds' from folks who look real well-off."

For now, you can either have the Fushi sisters gather information or funds for the operation. Given the state of the rebellion's finances (basically non-existent), that would be my recommendation.


Female Human Rogue 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | F: +6, R: +10, W: +7 | Perc: +7, Stealth: +10 | Speed 25ft |Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Pool: None | Reactions: Nimble Dodge | Conditions: None

"My preference is to finish our investigation into the murders. In my mind, that takes precedence over bar fights or whatever the Red Jills are up to."

Turning to Korva, Enara nods. "Agreed, we need money. You're new in town, but I can already tell you're quite clever. Let us know if you need any assistance."


Male Human Druid 2 | HP: 26/26 | AC: 18 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +10 | Perc: +8 | Speed 20ft | Hero Points: 1 | Focus Pool: 2/2 | Reactions: Shield Block | Conditions: None

Hemdar nods in agreement. "Agreed, the murders are the most important, especially since we have a lead."
Getting more funds for the rebellion sounds good, I think we have plenty of information to follow up on for the moment.


Male Elf Wizard 2 | HP: 18/18 | AC: 17 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +8 | Perc: +6 | Speed 30ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | 2/4 1st lv. spells | 0/1 focus point | Spell DC: 18| Conditions: None

And...done.

Emarel sat back in his chair with a loud exhale. Finally, the process was complete. It had been such a wonderful process, working with the weapon magics. The intricacies of the runes, the feeling of the etching process, the hum of magical energy literally in his grasp - it had been enrapturing.

As he sat reflecting over the process, the outside going group walked back in. He blinked in surprise. Was it curfew already? To be fair, he hadn't been keeping much track of the time at all, flying by as it had. Passionate work, it seemed, had its own sort of magic.

"Welcome back everyone. I hope your excursion proved fruitful. Lucius, good news - I finished up your sword. Thank you for the opportunity to work in such a process. Keep in mind, it's a magical work of art now - don't you dare go breaking it, or anything equally as crass, or else I shall be quite upset, understood?"

Sitting down at the table with the others, Emarel listened to Rexus and the recounting of events of the outside. "Strategist, you say? Hmm. Certainly, what you say is correct - longevity lends itself well to intellectual expertise. I must admit however, my knowledge of revolution and city takeover strategy is a tad...rusty. I shall be sure brush up on the topic." Another reason to not go looking for more trouble than necessary with the Chelaxian guards, and another fresh topic to study. Emarel couldn't complain at all.

On the topic of tooth faeries and murder, Emarel blanched slightly. His experience with fae in the past had never gone well, and this was surely not to be any different, tricksy folk that they were. Still, they were causing trouble to potential allies, and more than anything, Emarel did not want anyone to die if he could help it. "Dealing with murder does seem a tad bit more pressing, I must agree. Besides, it would be helpful to learn why Fae are around in the area causing trouble as they are. If there are more about, we need to find out." And perhaps this could be a chance to learn a little more about them, although Emarel doubted if any such information would be any that he really wanted to know.


Male Human Paladin 2 | HP: 32/32 | AC: 20 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +7 | Perc: +5 | Speed 20ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Pool: 1/1 | Reactions: Shield Block, Retributive Strike, Divine Grace | Conditions: None

Accepting the blade with a gracious nod to Emarel, Lucius drew the sword and to inspect the fine work. As the blade made the audible sound of drawing from its protective sheath, Lucius smiled "Excellent work Emarel! Thank-you for your efforts; and for the record, this blade will only break if I do."

Listening to Rexus breakdown the Silver Ravens and how they would be reborn in the companions gathered, Lucius raised one brow curiously before adding "Aye, well I suppose I've been a sentinel all my life as it were. Providing a shield for those who cannot defend themselves sounds like a natural fit to me."

Standing up, Lucius affixed his newly imbued blade to his belt while adding "Agreed, we deal with the murderers first... and if that means tearing the tooth fairy apart, so be it."


Male Human Druid 2 | HP: 26/26 | AC: 18 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +10 | Perc: +8 | Speed 20ft | Hero Points: 1 | Focus Pool: 2/2 | Reactions: Shield Block | Conditions: None

Seeing the consensus in the group to go after the tooth fairies, Hemdar relays what he knows of them to the rest of the group. 'They're small, stealthy, and unpredictable so we'll have to be vigilant, and prepared for ambushes. Their pliers can cause paralysis, so we'll need to be ready to ciover each other in case one or more of get paralyzed. They also have some fey magic at their disposal, though I'm not sure what exactly they can do with it."


Female Human Rogue 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | F: +6, R: +10, W: +7 | Perc: +7, Stealth: +10 | Speed 25ft |Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Pool: None | Reactions: Nimble Dodge | Conditions: None

"Our mission is settled, then. Tomorrow, we resume our search for the tooth fairies and put an end to their killing spree."

Not a sentence I ever expected to utter, Enara thinks to herself.


Experience 890/1000 | Level 2 | #097: In Hell's Bright Shadow | Part 2: Rebuilding the Ravens | Day 3 (Starday, 5 Rova 4715)

GM Rolls:

Society (Emarel): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Arcana(Emarel): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

Society (Enara): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Arcana (Enara): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

Perception (Emarel): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Perception (Enara): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
Perception (Rexus): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

The Fushi sisters agree to start gathering funds and Rexus seems delighted that the group is happy to accept their positions. Enara and Emarel help Rexus decipher the old Silver Raven's documents for a short while. Not long into the investigation, Emarel happens upon something strange. One of the pages, mostly in infernal, does not really appear to have any sort of meaning to it. A quick detect magic casting identifies that there is a very faint magic aura on the page, and by reading the aura he determines it is under the effect of a secret page spell.


Female Human Rogue 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | F: +6, R: +10, W: +7 | Perc: +7, Stealth: +10 | Speed 25ft |Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Pool: None | Reactions: Nimble Dodge | Conditions: None

Seeing Emarel stare intently at the same page for some time, Enara's curiosity is piqued. Standing up from her own seat, she wanders over to where he's working and looks down at it. "Find anything interesting?" she asks the elf.


Male Elf Wizard 2 | HP: 18/18 | AC: 17 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +8 | Perc: +6 | Speed 30ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | 2/4 1st lv. spells | 0/1 focus point | Spell DC: 18| Conditions: None

It takes a long moment before Emarel responds to Enara's question, as he spends the brainpower to instead confirm his thoughts are accurate. "Interesting...yes. Interesting indeed." he responds slowly. "Here, look. This page, it's nonsensical, completely different than the rest of what's written. Seems to me to be magically protected. I've seen the spell before - secret page - although I don't know it myself. If only I had a scroll of dispel magic, or someone around that already knew it. Hmm...translating it will do no good until the spell is lifted. Clearly, the contents are vital. I would endeavor to then ascertain a way to dispel the page as soon as possible. I wonder if there are more like this..." Emarel proceeds to continue to go through the rest of the documents with a renewed, almost fanatic, vigor, barely keeping half an ear open for Enara, or anyone else's, response.


Experience 890/1000 | Level 2 | #097: In Hell's Bright Shadow | Part 2: Rebuilding the Ravens | Day 3 (Starday, 5 Rova 4715)

GM Rolls:

Emarel (society): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Enara (society): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

1d6 ⇒ 61d5 ⇒ 4

→ Day 4, 9:00 AM (Sunday, 6 Rova 4715)

Emarel and Enara spent a couple hours working with Rexus, though due to their plans for the next day they have to make sure to get some rest. They are, thankfully, very skilled and are able to discern two very important things:

• The Silver Ravens were said to be able to use something called the “Song of Silver” to defend Kintargo when it was attacked by enemies, but sadly, no additional information as to what this mysterious song was can be found in these notes. Rexus implores the two researchers to keep an eye out for further clues as to this intriguing notation.

• The Silver Ravens defended Kintargo from being conquered no fewer than a dozen times during the Chelish Civil War: five times from power-hungry noble families, four times from agents of Thrune, once from an invasion of skum from the sea, once from a cabal of Nidalese vampires, and once from a blue dragon named Rivozair.

After making morning preparations, the group has plenty on its plate to deal with in the city. Their first order of business for the day is...

If you would like to head to the tooth faerie hideout straight away that is an option. Picking up a scroll of dispel magic would cost the group 12gp, or you could wait for Emarel to hit level 3 and he could learn the spell. If there is anything else the group would like to do just let me know!

451 to 500 of 508 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Hell's Rebels All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.