PBP GD VIII - The Jarlsblood Witch Saga - Regular (Inactive)

Game Master Helikon

Maps & Handouts


51 to 100 of 218 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

Vayon please roll a second will safe!

Grand Lodge

HP: 68/68 | AC 29 (t: 22/ff: 26) |F:+14, R:+10, W:+16 | Init: +10 | Perception: +28 | Sense Motive: +26 Ki Pool: 9/10 | Bane: 6/6 Rounds | CMB +6; CMD 27 (24 FF) | Speed: 60'

So, just to be clear, no saves needed if we are in the Linnorm´s Tale, 'the best Inn in town'.

Grand Lodge

m human (ulfen) Hydrokineticist/7 [hp: 73/87] [init: +3; perc: +11] [AC: 18(22)/T: 13/FF: 15(19)] [saves: 12/10/7] [CMB: +6/CMD: 19(16)] [burn taken: 1/8] [non-lethal taken: 8/56]

Will save vs. DC=16: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Will save vs. DC=16: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

Dark Archive

Elf Magus (staff magus) 6| HP 40/40| AC 20 T 14 FF 16| Fo +6 Re +5 Wi +4| Init +5| Percep +4

Will: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10 +2 v enchantment

Dark Archive

Elf Magus (staff magus) 6| HP 40/40| AC 20 T 14 FF 16| Fo +6 Re +5 Wi +4| Init +5| Percep +4

Second save.

1d20+4 +2 v enchantment


Only in the longhouse
Glorne and Vayon noted.

Liberty's Edge

Female Halfling Rogue 3 / Ranger 2 / Shadow Dancer 2| HP: 4/50 | AC: 24 21 Tch 16, Fl 16) | CMD: 19 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +4 | Init: +6 | Perc: +13/+14, SM: +5 | Active conditions: none

Will Save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Will Save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
+2 racial bonus on all saving throws against fear


All that fail the roll are now confused.


Do you want to check and verify at other places too?
What kind of leads do you have in your opinion?
Rumours know added to the hangouts

The Exchange

Human M Human Alchemist 7 |Current AC: 26 AC Base: 21 T 14 FF 20 | HP 52/52 | F +9 R +12 W +5| CMD 13 | Init +8 (12wHA)| Perc +19 | Spells: Level 1 5/6 Level 2 3/5 Level 3 1/2| Bombs 16/16 | Active Buffs: SeeInvis, Heroism, DrkVsn, BrkSkn, HgtAware, Cog

How long are we confused for? Have we learned all we can from here?

Grand Lodge

HP: 68/68 | AC 29 (t: 22/ff: 26) |F:+14, R:+10, W:+16 | Init: +10 | Perception: +28 | Sense Motive: +26 Ki Pool: 9/10 | Bane: 6/6 Rounds | CMB +6; CMD 27 (24 FF) | Speed: 60'
Longhouse team wrote:
All the while a heavily armored Ulfen man approaches with a hunting knife in hand, pushing the creatures in the area to their knees as if to execute them.

What happened to this guy?

Liberty's Edge

Female Halfling Rogue 3 / Ranger 2 / Shadow Dancer 2| HP: 4/50 | AC: 24 21 Tch 16, Fl 16) | CMD: 19 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +4 | Init: +6 | Perc: +13/+14, SM: +5 | Active conditions: none

I don't know if I passed the first check or not - was it fear based? If not, does "confused" prevent me from hiding in the shadows.


The haunt is not fear based, so you do experience the full brunt of this and you are all confused for a a few rounds.

There is still a lot to learn from the town. Maybe ask carefully for the next clues. Maybe for detailed information.

Dark Archive

Shaman 6 | AC 21+3 T 12 FF 20+3 | HP 36/45 | F +5 R +4 W +12 | Init +1 | Perc +5 | Active Buffs: Barkskin, Resist Energy (fire?) (familiar)
Pet Stats:
Pet AC 14 T 11 FF 14 | Pet HP 22/22 | Pet F +3 R -1 W +4 | Pet Init -3 | Pet Perc -2| Active Buffs: Endure Elements

Oria's will, despite tempering and testing throughout her adventures, fails utterly and completely to fight off the effects of the haunt. Surely, it's embarrassing her allies by simple proxy.

Confusion table, round one: 1d100 ⇒ 6

"What was that? what's happening?" she asks, unsure of the situation, knowing on some level that something went wrong despite her inability to determine the source.

Confusion table, round two: 1d100 ⇒ 69

"Oh. I understand now." she says with an distant stare and a strangely calm tone to her voice. Her hand, covered in a spiked gauntlet, flexes into a fist as she turns it around on herself. "It's all so simple. I've just got to beat it out of my head."

You really don't have to do that, Oria.

"Yes, I do!"

stabbing herself in the face, like a crazy person: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

The Exchange

Human M Human Alchemist 7 |Current AC: 26 AC Base: 21 T 14 FF 20 | HP 52/52 | F +9 R +12 W +5| CMD 13 | Init +8 (12wHA)| Perc +19 | Spells: Level 1 5/6 Level 2 3/5 Level 3 1/2| Bombs 16/16 | Active Buffs: SeeInvis, Heroism, DrkVsn, BrkSkn, HgtAware, Cog

GM, please correct me if I am wrong, but I think what happened is we triggered a haunt.

The scene the GM described played out with ghostly figures, then faded away. The effect of the haunt is the confusion. As we're not in combat, I don't think the haunt has much of an effect but we should be wary in case it triggers again. I think we are free to continue with our investigation now?


Correct. Fortunately the only person that did got effected by the haunt just injured herself. Not someone else. That could have different effects. Onwards with the investigation

The Exchange

Human M Human Alchemist 7 |Current AC: 26 AC Base: 21 T 14 FF 20 | HP 52/52 | F +9 R +12 W +5| CMD 13 | Init +8 (12wHA)| Perc +19 | Spells: Level 1 5/6 Level 2 3/5 Level 3 1/2| Bombs 16/16 | Active Buffs: SeeInvis, Heroism, DrkVsn, BrkSkn, HgtAware, Cog

So we just found that one tale with our efforts at the Longhouse (the one about Varmood Coalbraid)?

How did everyone else react to the haunt in the Longhouse? Are they confused / scared /surprised, or does it seem like this happens often?

If there is no more to learn here, lets head to the Coalbraid Longhouse.

I've tried to summarize what we have done and encountered in the town below, along with the places left to visit.

Summary of Investigation locations:

Coalbraid Longhouse (Knowledge [history] or Knowledge [local])

Gorum’s Anvil (Knowledge [religion])

Linnorm’s Tale Inn (Perform [oratory] or Profession [barkeep]): Learned the tale of Varmood Coalbraid and encountered a haunt

Stonefire’s Supplies (Knowledge [arcana] or Profession [merchant]):

The Troll’s Hide (Appraise or Profession [tanner or leatherworker]): Learned the Jarlsblood Witch was an ice-blooded Ulfen who murdered King Alvard the Wolf, Coalbraid-Trolltooth feud has been going on for generations - either side trying to wipe the other out would likely do enough damage to destroy the town

Trolltooth Longhouse (Knowledge [history] or Knowledge [local]):


You notice that the innkeeper resisted the haunt and seemed to have experienced it before.

The Exchange

Human M Human Alchemist 7 |Current AC: 26 AC Base: 21 T 14 FF 20 | HP 52/52 | F +9 R +12 W +5| CMD 13 | Init +8 (12wHA)| Perc +19 | Spells: Level 1 5/6 Level 2 3/5 Level 3 1/2| Bombs 16/16 | Active Buffs: SeeInvis, Heroism, DrkVsn, BrkSkn, HgtAware, Cog

Ridley will approach the inkeeper an ask a few questions.

Good sir! Quite the evening entertainment you have here! Does that happen often - and if so, what's the cause?

After he answers, lets move on to the Coalbraid Longhouse.

Grand Lodge

HP: 68/68 | AC 29 (t: 22/ff: 26) |F:+14, R:+10, W:+16 | Init: +10 | Perception: +28 | Sense Motive: +26 Ki Pool: 9/10 | Bane: 6/6 Rounds | CMB +6; CMD 27 (24 FF) | Speed: 60'

The monk listens intently to the innkeeper's answer before joining the others at the Coalbraid Longhouse.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (15) + 23 = 38


The innkeeper has fingered a talisman around his neck. You couldn´t see what it was as it was hidden through the fabric.
As you announce yourself at the trolltooth longhouse you are greeted by a fair maiden who keeps her right hand beyond sight in the door.
As you state that you want to meet the elder you are invited and offered bread, salt and mead.
The interior walls bear numerous feats of metalwork, celebrating the family’s proud tradition of blacksmithing, charcoal making, and fletching.
You are greeted by an elderly woman introducing herself as Nessa!
"What do you want?"


@ Ridley
The innkeeper shrugs and replies that it happens. But what place is utterly safe.

Grand Lodge

HP: 68/68 | AC 29 (t: 22/ff: 26) |F:+14, R:+10, W:+16 | Init: +10 | Perception: +28 | Sense Motive: +26 Ki Pool: 9/10 | Bane: 6/6 Rounds | CMB +6; CMD 27 (24 FF) | Speed: 60'

Seeing no one else responding, "Good day. We are from The Pathfinder Society, and we would like to ask you a few questions. It seems there was some controversy a few years back. Something about a witch? Can you help us?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (18) - 2 = 16
Sense Motive (her response): 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (14) + 23 = 37
Perception: 1d20 + 25 ⇒ (7) + 25 = 32


The woman looks at Bo and shrugs. "What do you mean?"
Bo you think she really doesn´t know.
The event was A LOT more than a few years back. More than a few centuries!
This is a very rich longhouse, the family is very well to do. You see loads of lush furs, good workmanship furniture.
A man joins the woman, the same age and looks at you.
"And why would we care about some scouts?"

The Exchange

Human M Human Alchemist 7 |Current AC: 26 AC Base: 21 T 14 FF 20 | HP 52/52 | F +9 R +12 W +5| CMD 13 | Init +8 (12wHA)| Perc +19 | Spells: Level 1 5/6 Level 2 3/5 Level 3 1/2| Bombs 16/16 | Active Buffs: SeeInvis, Heroism, DrkVsn, BrkSkn, HgtAware, Cog

Kn Local on what I can learn here: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (14) + 17 = 31

We're gatherers of history and lost lore. We're cataloging the tale of the Jarlsblood witch. We'd love to hear anything you have to tell us about the legend.


Ridley finds the important clue:
The people of Frostbreach turned the Jarlsblood Witch’s body into a bloody effigy to warn Irrisen’s witches from troubling the town anymore. The effigy stood about an hour east of Frostbreach—or it did, as it’s said the body disappeared almost as soon as it was put up.
"And damn her to hell!"

Grand Lodge

HP: 68/68 | AC 29 (t: 22/ff: 26) |F:+14, R:+10, W:+16 | Init: +10 | Perception: +28 | Sense Motive: +26 Ki Pool: 9/10 | Bane: 6/6 Rounds | CMB +6; CMD 27 (24 FF) | Speed: 60'

The simple-minded monk offers, "We should see if this site can still be found."

The Exchange

Human M Human Alchemist 7 |Current AC: 26 AC Base: 21 T 14 FF 20 | HP 52/52 | F +9 R +12 W +5| CMD 13 | Init +8 (12wHA)| Perc +19 | Spells: Level 1 5/6 Level 2 3/5 Level 3 1/2| Bombs 16/16 | Active Buffs: SeeInvis, Heroism, DrkVsn, BrkSkn, HgtAware, Cog

Seems like a reasonable course of investigation - it will be nice to have a solid lead to look into instead of just old legends and tales. Lets prepare and head into the wilderness!

Dark Archive

Elf Magus (staff magus) 6| HP 40/40| AC 20 T 14 FF 16| Fo +6 Re +5 Wi +4| Init +5| Percep +4

This has been so very hard for me to follow since we got to town for some reason. We came to town and met a nice lady at the leatherworkers. We then went to the inn and were affected by a haunt. Now the plan is to go into the wilderness to investigate the site where the witch was hung up as a warning?

The Exchange

Human M Human Alchemist 7 |Current AC: 26 AC Base: 21 T 14 FF 20 | HP 52/52 | F +9 R +12 W +5| CMD 13 | Init +8 (12wHA)| Perc +19 | Spells: Level 1 5/6 Level 2 3/5 Level 3 1/2| Bombs 16/16 | Active Buffs: SeeInvis, Heroism, DrkVsn, BrkSkn, HgtAware, Cog

@Vanyon

We were tasked to discover the truth of what happened with the Jarlsblood Witch. Thus far, all we have had to go on is asking around about local legends and tales, which won't let us get to the bottom of things. We just got a lead on an actual historical site where we can go investigate and discover something new. If we head out there, and it is a dead end we can always come back and ask around some more.

Dark Archive

Shaman 6 | AC 21+3 T 12 FF 20+3 | HP 36/45 | F +5 R +4 W +12 | Init +1 | Perc +5 | Active Buffs: Barkskin, Resist Energy (fire?) (familiar)
Pet Stats:
Pet AC 14 T 11 FF 14 | Pet HP 22/22 | Pet F +3 R -1 W +4 | Pet Init -3 | Pet Perc -2| Active Buffs: Endure Elements

Oria lets out a sigh, tired and dull, like she didn't just punch herself in the face with a spiked metal glove. So apparently this sort of thing just happens! "How delightful." she says, her voice just dripping with very heavy sarcasm.

Cure Light Wounds wand: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Cure Light Wounds wand: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

With the haunt gone and the scene eerily calm, the shaman pulls out a wand and sets it to her own skin, mending the results of her improvised piercing session.

"Alright. Let's go out there and see where the body used to be." Knowing her luck, there would be another haunt, or some snowbound monstrosity ready to tear the rest of her face off. "Or maybe we'll find an angry witch's vengeful ancestor."

Or maybe they'll find an angry witch's vengeful ancestor. But there's only one way to find out!


The leatherworker is just a person who is known to the VC, but not the clue itself!


Looking for the effigy?

Grand Lodge

HP: 68/68 | AC 29 (t: 22/ff: 26) |F:+14, R:+10, W:+16 | Init: +10 | Perception: +28 | Sense Motive: +26 Ki Pool: 9/10 | Bane: 6/6 Rounds | CMB +6; CMD 27 (24 FF) | Speed: 60'

I have played this before, so I leave my vote to the team.

The Exchange

Human M Human Alchemist 7 |Current AC: 26 AC Base: 21 T 14 FF 20 | HP 52/52 | F +9 R +12 W +5| CMD 13 | Init +8 (12wHA)| Perc +19 | Spells: Level 1 5/6 Level 2 3/5 Level 3 1/2| Bombs 16/16 | Active Buffs: SeeInvis, Heroism, DrkVsn, BrkSkn, HgtAware, Cog

Let's head to the effigy... Seems like where we need to go to keep things moving. If anyone really wants to stay and ask around town more, let us know where you want to go.

Dark Archive

Elf Magus (staff magus) 6| HP 40/40| AC 20 T 14 FF 16| Fo +6 Re +5 Wi +4| Init +5| Percep +4

Yeah. Let's head out there.


On the way please make a perception check

Perc24:
You have the feeling of beeing followed

A rocky clearing opens between the snow-laden trees, the oldest of which bear weathered slash marks and gashes as if they were scars from a terrible battle long ago. A frozen footpath winds in a circle around a rock outcropping, with a single, snowy tree residing on top. Atop the center outcropping, an elk with a pristine white coat and sharpened, red-tinged antlers grazes on moss.
KnowNat or Survival 18:
This marking are quite old and if you check for it, you can deduce they are about 200 years old

Dark Archive

Shaman 6 | AC 21+3 T 12 FF 20+3 | HP 36/45 | F +5 R +4 W +12 | Init +1 | Perc +5 | Active Buffs: Barkskin, Resist Energy (fire?) (familiar)
Pet Stats:
Pet AC 14 T 11 FF 14 | Pet HP 22/22 | Pet F +3 R -1 W +4 | Pet Init -3 | Pet Perc -2| Active Buffs: Endure Elements

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

Grand Lodge

m human (ulfen) Hydrokineticist/7 [hp: 73/87] [init: +3; perc: +11] [AC: 18(22)/T: 13/FF: 15(19)] [saves: 12/10/7] [CMB: +6/CMD: 19(16)] [burn taken: 1/8] [non-lethal taken: 8/56]

Perception vs. DC=24: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29

Knowledge(Nature) vs. DC=18: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17

"Don't look now, but I think we are being followed."

Grand Lodge

HP: 68/68 | AC 29 (t: 22/ff: 26) |F:+14, R:+10, W:+16 | Init: +10 | Perception: +28 | Sense Motive: +26 Ki Pool: 9/10 | Bane: 6/6 Rounds | CMB +6; CMD 27 (24 FF) | Speed: 60'

Can't fail that Perception.

Survival: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25

Noding toward the markings on the tree, "Been here quite a long time...centuries maybe."


As you search the area, you find to the south a much smaller clearing, at the center of which stands a charred wooden spike driven into the
ground. The earth around it is black and barren, as if the snow refuses to fall there. Just a few feet to the east stands a 4-foottall carved stone post that bears several inscriptions written in Skald

Grand Lodge

m human (ulfen) Hydrokineticist/7 [hp: 73/87] [init: +3; perc: +11] [AC: 18(22)/T: 13/FF: 15(19)] [saves: 12/10/7] [CMB: +6/CMD: 19(16)] [burn taken: 1/8] [non-lethal taken: 8/56]

Glorne approaches the stone post and reads the inscriptions, converting them into the Common language as best he can.


Anything else you all do?

Dark Archive

Shaman 6 | AC 21+3 T 12 FF 20+3 | HP 36/45 | F +5 R +4 W +12 | Init +1 | Perc +5 | Active Buffs: Barkskin, Resist Energy (fire?) (familiar)
Pet Stats:
Pet AC 14 T 11 FF 14 | Pet HP 22/22 | Pet F +3 R -1 W +4 | Pet Init -3 | Pet Perc -2| Active Buffs: Endure Elements

Oria approaches the charred wooden spike, running her bare fingers over the surface. The texture, the temperature, the thickness of the wood. Her imagination inevitably wanders towards the fated witch who suffered at this spot. She wonders, in a stray, dark thought, what it would be like to be in her position.

The shaman steps back, flinching at the mental image. Unfortunately, her imagination is most through.

"That's just wasting time." she mutters, quite rudely, before chanting to focus her mind and look at the scene with a new perspective.

Casting Detect Magic and looking over the charred spike, the earth around it, and then the stone post. May as well try to read it while she's at it.

Linguistics: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

The Exchange

Human M Human Alchemist 7 |Current AC: 26 AC Base: 21 T 14 FF 20 | HP 52/52 | F +9 R +12 W +5| CMD 13 | Init +8 (12wHA)| Perc +19 | Spells: Level 1 5/6 Level 2 3/5 Level 3 1/2| Bombs 16/16 | Active Buffs: SeeInvis, Heroism, DrkVsn, BrkSkn, HgtAware, Cog

If the inscriptions don't give any meaningful insight into the best course of action, Ridley will attempt the summoning ritual we learned of.


DC 20 Knowledge (arcana):
The reagents and techniques
are very unusual for a summoning ritual.

By exceeding the
DC 25Knowledge (arcana):
The ritual is unlikely to summon or commune with any spirit, much less Kolvi’s. Instead, the reagents and techniques are cobbled together from several different superstitions across different Ulfen kingdoms.

The Exchange

Human M Human Alchemist 7 |Current AC: 26 AC Base: 21 T 14 FF 20 | HP 52/52 | F +9 R +12 W +5| CMD 13 | Init +8 (12wHA)| Perc +19 | Spells: Level 1 5/6 Level 2 3/5 Level 3 1/2| Bombs 16/16 | Active Buffs: SeeInvis, Heroism, DrkVsn, BrkSkn, HgtAware, Cog

Kn Arcana: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (15) + 21 = 36

Hmmm, this is an odd ritual. Doesn't seem like it should do anything really. Nevertheless... unless we have another lead lets go ahead with it.

Unless someone else has another idea, Ridley will go ahead and do the ritual anyways.


Suddenly a small blizzard appears and a beautiful woman with a fox-tail appears. She looks at you and speaks.
"You, that come to the all-powerful Jarlsblood Witch, state your intentions are be gone!"

The Exchange

Human M Human Alchemist 7 |Current AC: 26 AC Base: 21 T 14 FF 20 | HP 52/52 | F +9 R +12 W +5| CMD 13 | Init +8 (12wHA)| Perc +19 | Spells: Level 1 5/6 Level 2 3/5 Level 3 1/2| Bombs 16/16 | Active Buffs: SeeInvis, Heroism, DrkVsn, BrkSkn, HgtAware, Cog

Ridley does his best to suppress his skepticism that this is indeed the Jarlsblood witch, and decides to humor the creature.

Um... oh, great Jarlsblood witch! We are here to discover the truth of your history! We believe you were unfairly executed and your name continues to be unfairly slandered! Please tell us the true story of your creation!


The jarlsblood witch raises an eyebrow at Ridley and replies.
"I was old when your ancestors were still cave monkeys. And I was never executed. But I think you mistake me for Kolvi the brave?"

51 to 100 of 218 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / PBP GD VIII - The Jarlsblood Witch Saga - Regular All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.