PFS2 01-01 The Absalom Initiation

Game Master Nevynxxx

A new era is beginning for the Pathfinder Society, with new recruits and new factions all excited to build connections and embark on grand adventures. Those recruits invited to attend a welcoming party can meet both the old guard as well as the up-and-coming leaders. But the party's not all talk; the PCs learn of four exciting escapades in Absalom, through which they can kick off their adventuring careers!


51 to 100 of 346 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Radiant Oath

Male Human, Half Elf Cleric-Warpriest AC 17/19 HP 17 Percep +6 Skills Diplomacy +6, Medicine +6, Religion +6, Warfare Lore +3

Having been nothing to say I say nothing preferring to just keep my mouth shut and listening to the details of the assigned mission. Despite the Venture Capatin's assurances afterwards, I still make my preparation and make sure my medical kit as well as my weapons and equipment are ready. Naga and Gorgon not seeming like something all that mundane and "safe" to deal with.

Fellow Pathfinders, if that is what we are, please let me know when you are ready and at the time and place to meet and I shall be there.


Titus Au Parthicus wrote:

Having been nothing to say I say nothing preferring to just keep my mouth shut and listening to the details of the assigned mission. Despite the Venture Capatin's assurances afterwards, I still make my preparation and make sure my medical kit as well as my weapons and equipment are ready. Naga and Gorgon not seeming like something all that mundane and "safe" to deal with.

Fellow Pathfinders, if that is what we are, please let me know when you are ready and at the time and place to meet and I shall be there.

Just so we don't jump ahead too soon. There are four faction heads to speak to. So you will get four "missions", then you can choose which order you do them in.

Vigilant Seal

Male Scholar Elf Bard(Muse) / 1 HP: 14 /14 | TEMPS: / AC: 18 | F:+3, R:+5, W:+6 | Perc: +6 Speed 30ft | Low-Light Vision | 1st Level Spells 2/2 | Focus Pool: 1/1 | Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions:Shield: +1 AC

Looking confused at the conversation happening between the Angelic woman and the persistent Elf, Wit shrugs and pockets the comments for further study and investigation. Instead he smiles at Valais and turns the conversation to something relevant to Janira's task set to them.

"I apologise for being out of touch my lady, but I am new here. Would you have any advice for a new initiate? Or perhaps a task that one could accomplish to improve their standing here in the lodge?" They enquire sweetly.

Radiant Oath

Male Human, Half Elf Cleric-Warpriest AC 17/19 HP 17 Percep +6 Skills Diplomacy +6, Medicine +6, Religion +6, Warfare Lore +3

Looking around at my compatriots, wondering if we should not mingle more and be more social, perhaps wondering what other opportunities might be out there for us and how to further show the way of the Dawnflower's mercies to those in need.

Radiant Oath

Perception +3; low-light vision AC 15; Fort +3; Ref +5; Will +5 HP 12 Focus Points 1 Hero Points 1

The elf gives the human a sly but innocent grin.

Envoy's Alliance

Male Half-Elf Ranger 2 | AC 19 | HP30/30 | F: 7, R: 7, W: 5 |Perc: +7 (+9 vs target)

Roumatha picks up on Titus' cue and politely bids farewell to the half-orc captain.
"That quiet group around the bearded man over there interests me, they look important. Perhaps we should see if they have some errands for us junior folks?"


'Wit' wrote:
"I apologise for being out of touch my lady, but I am new here. Would you have any advice for a new initiate? Or perhaps a task that one could accomplish to improve their standing here in the lodge?" They enquire sweetly.

"Advise for a new initiate, from what I can see you are already doing very well." she smiles, "I don't have any tasks at the moment, I will be sure to remember you when I do though."

The Pirate captain continues her jovial conversation for a while, but now that she has given you a mission, her interests turn to the others at the party. As you turn to leave she wishes you well.

Roumatha, do you mean Eando?

Horizon Hunters

Male Human (Kellid) Ranger/1 AC 17, | F 7 R 8 W 4, hp 20/20 Perception +6 Hero Points: 3

Kra'a is definitley feeling bolstered by the stout and starts to look around the room for anyone of interest.
(He is also scooping up some more of the food and dropping it into a belt pouch.)

Envoy's Alliance

Male halfling rogue (thief) 1 | AC 18, +1 vs atk by traps | F 4 R 9 W 7, +1 vs traps | hp 15/15 | Perc +7, +1 vs traps | Effects:

Boram nods agreeably at Roumatha's suggestion, "That sounds good. I guess we need to meet as many people as possible. No time like the present!"

Radiant Oath

Perception +3; low-light vision AC 15; Fort +3; Ref +5; Will +5 HP 12 Focus Points 1 Hero Points 1

Can you put a quick little list of who we have met and who we still need to meet, please?

Envoy's Alliance

Male Half-Elf Ranger 2 | AC 19 | HP30/30 | F: 7, R: 7, W: 5 |Perc: +7 (+9 vs target)

I guess it could be Eando, I'm not sure we ever had the names of the four conversation leaders - is there a check to recognize them on sight?


Sorry, absolutely will give you a bit of a run down. This, has the main four, I'll add in the other main people around tomorrow.

Radiant Oath

Male Human, Half Elf Cleric-Warpriest AC 17/19 HP 17 Percep +6 Skills Diplomacy +6, Medicine +6, Religion +6, Warfare Lore +3

I look around, seeing if there might be somebody to engage in conversation with that might provide us an opportunity within the lodge.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

More then likely unable to find anyone in the crowd and feeling a bit perplexed at not normally mixing it up despite my normal good social reputation I write it off as anyone can have a off day and look for Janira to see if she might have any advice to offer.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20 Asking Janira.... Pardon, but how does one break the proverbial ice around here...I feel a bit in over my head with such renowned Pathfinders and senior leadership present.


Janira smiles "Of course Titus! Everyone here knows that they are here to welcome initiates, so you shouldn't have any difficulty breaking the ice so to speak, but if you are looking for inspiration. Well, I noticed your group has already spoken to Calisro. I would suggest Eando Kline, Fola Barun or possibly even Gorm Greathammer would be good people of influence who could offer you advice."


There's a bit more information in the NPCs document now

Radiant Oath

Perception +3; low-light vision AC 15; Fort +3; Ref +5; Will +5 HP 12 Focus Points 1 Hero Points 1

The elf will approach the Greathammer Greetings, I understand that we might both have the desire for knowledge. I love to learn everything that I can about anything that I can/

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20 diplomacy

Radiant Oath

Male Human, Half Elf Cleric-Warpriest AC 17/19 HP 17 Percep +6 Skills Diplomacy +6, Medicine +6, Religion +6, Warfare Lore +3

Why thank you Janira, and I shall do so, now....I think I shall seek out Fola, can you assit me in finding her? I am afraid I do not know that many here when it comes to matching a face to a name.

I then set myself to looking to see if I can find Fola Barun looking for her and hoping the cute Halfling can assist me.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

If I were to find Fola I would approach with as good of a smile as I could create, seeking a moment when to politely introduce myself.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

Vigilant Seal

Male Scholar Elf Bard(Muse) / 1 HP: 14 /14 | TEMPS: / AC: 18 | F:+3, R:+5, W:+6 | Perc: +6 Speed 30ft | Low-Light Vision | 1st Level Spells 2/2 | Focus Pool: 1/1 | Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions:Shield: +1 AC

Bowing to Valias, Wit breaks off from the lady and makes their way back to the group of fated travellers, via the punch bowl for a cheeky refill of course. Spying Titus searching the painted Elf decides to follow the Warpriest and meet a new face.

"My my what a truly auspicious occasion to find ourselves in." The enigmatic Bard muses as they close in on Fola and Titus. "Excuse me My Lady, but we are new here and our good friend, the Head of Initiates bid us meet the movers and shakers of the Society and assist in whatever way we can!"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Envoy's Alliance

Male halfling rogue (thief) 1 | AC 18, +1 vs atk by traps | F 4 R 9 W 7, +1 vs traps | hp 15/15 | Perc +7, +1 vs traps | Effects:

Boram follows Roumatha to the small group about Eando. ”If I may say so, you folks seem very subdued for such a grand gala. Is there an issue an unknown initiate might be able to assist with?”

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16


Roumatha and anyone with him: Standing with Eando is Tamrin Credance a halfling man with brown hair. The two look at Boram, and Eando speaks "Yes, these things don't really tend to get going for a few hours. Though that Northerner by the punch seems to be having a good time with the stout!" He says, looking over at Kra'a.

Rodlas and anyone with him: Standing with The Greathammer is Kreighton Shane The Pathfinder Society’s Master of Scrolls. "Well met my friend! I always am ready to hear the stories of those who have been out in the world. Mr Shane here regails me with tails, but they are alweays second or third hand!"

Titus and anyone with him: Standing with Fola is Urwal, the mysterious lizardfolk. Fola looks at Wit with a smile, "I'm pleased you have identified me as such. It is a deep compliment. Or do you mean my friend Urwel here?" She grins. Urwel looks a little put out at the interruption.

If you have a look at the NPCs document I put with the images, there is a bit of detail on the skill checks you can use in there, to save typing them all out here. Remember, your aim is to get the faction leaders alone, rather than to make them friendly.

Envoy's Alliance

Male Half-Elf Ranger 2 | AC 19 | HP30/30 | F: 7, R: 7, W: 5 |Perc: +7 (+9 vs target)

Roumatha nods to Eando. "He has taken the Pathfinder tenets to heart, and is exploring his environment! One never knows where the next assignment takes them, so he's wise to use the opportunity."

Horizon Hunters

Male Human (Kellid) Ranger/1 AC 17, | F 7 R 8 W 4, hp 20/20 Perception +6 Hero Points: 3

Kra'a becomes aware that he is being looked at, so with a grin and a tip of the glass, he heads towards Roumatha and Eando.

Envoy's Alliance

Male halfling rogue (thief) 1 | AC 18, +1 vs atk by traps | F 4 R 9 W 7, +1 vs traps | hp 15/15 | Perc +7, +1 vs traps | Effects:

To verify what seems obvious - we are trying to distract their accompanying NPC. For Eando, we are trying to distract Tamrin? And yes, splitting up seems a poor choice.


Boram Keenbranch wrote:
To verify what seems obvious - we are trying to distract their accompanying NPC. For Eando, we are trying to distract Tamrin? And yes, splitting up seems a poor choice.

Yes, that is 100% correct.

So for each group, I need to know how you plan to distract the secondary NPC, and you need three successes to do that.

If you want to revise the "split up strategy" I'm happy to do that, which gives more of you a chance to roll, and a better chance of success. We can just pause the other two, and use to post above to decide the lead person for each interaction.

Radiant Oath

Male Human, Half Elf Cleric-Warpriest AC 17/19 HP 17 Percep +6 Skills Diplomacy +6, Medicine +6, Religion +6, Warfare Lore +3

Urwel, I hope you do not mind too much, but Wit and I were hoping to get a word with Fola here as we are relatively new to the Society here my goodman and are hoping that she might grant us some of her thoughts as well as perhaps where we might find a few suitable tasks to assist the Society.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Radiant Oath

Perception +3; low-light vision AC 15; Fort +3; Ref +5; Will +5 HP 12 Focus Points 1 Hero Points 1

I would love to tell you about Kyonin and the adventures I have had, both in the diplomatic core but also in some of the practical aspects of having demons right outside your door he replies to the Greathammer.

Envoy's Alliance

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male halfling rogue (thief) 1 | AC 18, +1 vs atk by traps | F 4 R 9 W 7, +1 vs traps | hp 15/15 | Perc +7, +1 vs traps | Effects:

Or we can ignore sensible tactics and GM largesse and continue as we were. Roumatha, Kra’a, would you be amenable to switching our attentions to freeing Fola from the enigmatic eruxi Urwel ?

Horizon Hunters

Male Human (Kellid) Ranger/1 AC 17, | F 7 R 8 W 4, hp 20/20 Perception +6 Hero Points: 3
Boram Keenbranch wrote:
Or we can ignore sensible tactics and GM largesse and continue as we were. Roumatha, Kra’a, would you be amenable to switching our attentions to freeing Fola from the enigmatic eruxi Urwel ?

Happy to do that.

As he starts to make his away across the room, Kra'a catches sight of Fola and is clearly captivated by her - so very different in appearance from hos own people.

Envoy's Alliance

Male halfling rogue (thief) 1 | AC 18, +1 vs atk by traps | F 4 R 9 W 7, +1 vs traps | hp 15/15 | Perc +7, +1 vs traps | Effects:

Retcon Realizing that Fola, his inspiration for joining the Pathfinders, is visiting with the enigmatic creature known as Urwel, Boram changes his course to enter her orbit.

Bowing to each of them in turn, Fola first, Boram offers, "Lady Barun, Master Urwel. I am quite new here, but I have heard so much of both of you. Master Urwel, I am told that you are a master of survival in the wilds of Garund, is that true? Have you any advice for a neophyte Pathfinder?"

Diplomacy to insert myself into the conversation, if necessary: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Survival to attempt to distract Urwel from Fola: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

That's an unfortunate way for the dice to roll...


Boram, that's a success on the diplomacy, you're only supposed to get one skill check per faction leader anyway. So no problem. More skill checks please!

Radiant Oath

Male Human, Half Elf Cleric-Warpriest AC 17/19 HP 17 Percep +6 Skills Diplomacy +6, Medicine +6, Religion +6, Warfare Lore +3

Urwel, I hope you do not mind, but meeting with Lady Fola, and seeking the advice of where new Pathfinders such as ourselves can best fit in and contribute as well as speaking with another person kissed with elven and human blood would be quite inspirational to me.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

Vigilant Seal

Male Scholar Elf Bard(Muse) / 1 HP: 14 /14 | TEMPS: / AC: 18 | F:+3, R:+5, W:+6 | Perc: +6 Speed 30ft | Low-Light Vision | 1st Level Spells 2/2 | Focus Pool: 1/1 | Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions:Shield: +1 AC

Terribly sorry Weekend sped away from me!

Wit listens intently to their comrade’s attempts at persuasion and keeps a smile on their face, deciding how best to flatter the Lizardfolk without causing undue offence. Sure they weren’t a leader of a major faction, but Urwal was clearly important and it never hurt to keep those in power sweet. Turning to Urwal, Wit gives them a deep bow.

”Alas, it is as my friends have so eloquently put. We would surely love to get to know you all and sure we will have time later. But as mere initiates, our task has been given to make ourselves available to certain individuals a d we can’t be seen to shirk out duties!” The enigmatic Elf keeps a smile upon their painted face to ensure Urwal understands they mean well.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


So far I have skill checks from:


  • Wit (Fail) and Titus (Succeed) for Urwel
  • Boram (Succeed), Titus (Fail) and Wit(Fail) for Fola

So not going too badly, but I need the extra skill checks please. Then I can get some more roleplay in, once I know how the NPCs will react.

Radiant Oath

Perception +3; low-light vision AC 15; Fort +3; Ref +5; Will +5 HP 12 Focus Points 1 Hero Points 1

Would he need a diplomacy check to tell a story or would that be a performance check?

Radiant Oath

Perception +3; low-light vision AC 15; Fort +3; Ref +5; Will +5 HP 12 Focus Points 1 Hero Points 1

Diplomacy 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Performance 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7


Rodlas Windracer wrote:

Diplomacy 1d20+6

Performance 1d20+6

With rolls like that it doesn't much matter ;) Always go for the most specific roll. In this case, each NPC has different interests and the skills you can use for each, are detailed in the doc on google drive.

Envoy's Alliance

Male halfling rogue (thief) 1 | AC 18, +1 vs atk by traps | F 4 R 9 W 7, +1 vs traps | hp 15/15 | Perc +7, +1 vs traps | Effects:

Was Titus' success a critical success since he rolled a nat 20?

Envoy's Alliance

Male Half-Elf Ranger 2 | AC 19 | HP30/30 | F: 7, R: 7, W: 5 |Perc: +7 (+9 vs target)

Happy that Boram recognized a familiar face in the crowd at last, Roumatha follows him to Fola and tiptoes impatiently waiting for Urwal to finish his conversation. Eventually, he tries to nonchalantly shift the topic towards the weather, noting the effect of the unique landscape of the Isle of Kortos on the wind and precipitation patterns.

Nature: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13


Boram Keenbranch wrote:
Was Titus' success a critical success since he rolled a nat 20?

Good catch, yes. That takes you past the threshold for the right successes.

At Boram and Titus' greeting Urwell nods "Indeed, this ball is in your honour young neophytes. I will not get in your way." With that, he nods to Fola, and moves off, he looks like he is going to stop to chat with Roumatha for a moment, as he mentioned the weather, but then thinks better of it, and continues off into the crowd.

Fola, greets you warmly, obviously happy to be here and to see new faces. "Welcome new Pathfinders, and congratulations! I wonder, could you tell me a little about why you joined us? What you are driven to achieve?"

Envoy's Alliance

Male halfling rogue (thief) 1 | AC 18, +1 vs atk by traps | F 4 R 9 W 7, +1 vs traps | hp 15/15 | Perc +7, +1 vs traps | Effects:

Boram is a little starstruck now that they have Fola's attention. "Well, ah, to tell the truth, I've been enamored of the tales of the exploits of the Pathfinders I've heard, but I'm not the explorer sort - I actually have joined because of your reputation. Er, ma'am. I mean, you are said to provide support to the agents in the field, especially when they are in over their head. That's more to my liking - I am not the tip of the spear, if you will, but perhaps the haft supporting it." He frowns and mutters to himself, "That didn't quite come out as good as it sounded in my head..." He trails off into silence hoping one of his silver-tongued allies will end this uncomfortable silence. (Which has lasted less than five seconds, but for the embarrassed, it seems so much longer...)

Envoy's Alliance

Male Half-Elf Ranger 2 | AC 19 | HP30/30 | F: 7, R: 7, W: 5 |Perc: +7 (+9 vs target)

"A lot of my family and friends suffered from the invasion by the Ironfang Hobgoblins. The local Pathfinders tried to put up resistance but have been crushed. Still, they haven't surrendered but went undercover, helping those in need. Pathfinders helped me and many others survive the invasion, and I decided that the best way to repay this debt would be to offer the same benefit to others through the Society service."


Fola smiles at Boram, and covers the silence that follows. "A spear is just a bad dagger without the haft. Each of us fits into the Society in our own way, and each contribution is valuable. Sometimes more so, for not being shiny and obvious."

Turning to Roumatha she says "It is a noble sacrifice to put others first, to help rather than seek wealth. We would do so much better if more followed your example. Thank You."

"Yes, I think you are just the people I need to run a little errand. There is a house which has suffered an gruesome history. Many unexplained deaths and strange happenings have occurred there over multiple generations. The house is slated for demolition in a few days. Unfortunately the friend of a Pathfinder Initiate decided to investigate the house, and hasn't been seen since. I am afraid the poor fool is dead, but I have promised the initiate that I would find the truth, and have the body retrieved to be properly buried if that is what has happened. Can you help?"

Radiant Oath

Male Human, Half Elf Cleric-Warpriest AC 17/19 HP 17 Percep +6 Skills Diplomacy +6, Medicine +6, Religion +6, Warfare Lore +3

Fola, I don't want to speak for everyone, but I would gladly help in such a task. Can you tell us any more details about this house and even rumors as to the cause of any of the deaths? ...Can you give us a name and description of the missing person? It might aid us as we look through the house or even in the local community and neighborhood.

Envoy's Alliance

Male halfling rogue (thief) 1 | AC 18, +1 vs atk by traps | F 4 R 9 W 7, +1 vs traps | hp 15/15 | Perc +7, +1 vs traps | Effects:

Boram nods eagerly, ”Of course!”

He’s in, because Fola.

Vigilant Seal

Male Scholar Elf Bard(Muse) / 1 HP: 14 /14 | TEMPS: / AC: 18 | F:+3, R:+5, W:+6 | Perc: +6 Speed 30ft | Low-Light Vision | 1st Level Spells 2/2 | Focus Pool: 1/1 | Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions:Shield: +1 AC

Wit listens to the tales given by their companions with interest, mentally filling them away to help build the legends of these unlikely heroes. The enigmatic bard bows deeply to Fola and smiles.

”Why my purpose for joining is just that, to follow heroes in the making and make them legendary in tale. A haunted House sounds like the perfect task to test our mettle and I do hope our fellow initiate still lives for a daring rescue is preferable to the sadness of losing someone of promise”

Horizon Hunters

Male Human (Kellid) Ranger/1 AC 17, | F 7 R 8 W 4, hp 20/20 Perception +6 Hero Points: 3

Kra'a is explorer. I have heard stories of Pathfinders. They btravel to many places and see many things. Stories of this city are told by many of the clans. Explorers but also help find the bodies of the fallen so they may be returned to the tribe, the Pathfinder Society, to be honoured. I am happy to help with that. So when I fall, there will be others ready to bring me back!


Fola smiles broadly. "Those are all nobel causes. I really do feel that this intake of Pathfinders is going to do great things!"

"As for the house, there isn't much of a discernible pattern, it's all rumour and hearsay. Talk of stealing children to bind them to puppets, and evil cults, and lone murderers. I don't believe there is any grave immediate threat, but the house is old, and has been abandoned for a lot time. You should take care."

"I often find, that words are the best weapon to solve a situation. With that in mind, here, take this." She offers Wit a small vial "It is what Alchemists refer to as a mutegen, and it will make one silver tounged for a short period."

Envoy's Alliance

Male Half-Elf Ranger 2 | AC 19 | HP30/30 | F: 7, R: 7, W: 5 |Perc: +7 (+9 vs target)

"Thank you, my lady. It is hard to imagine what can be negotiated with murderous kidnapping cultists, but one never knows when the right word can turn the tide. We will report back once the situation has been dealt with."
With that, Roumatha bows and joins the group in search of the next mission.

Radiant Oath

Perception +3; low-light vision AC 15; Fort +3; Ref +5; Will +5 HP 12 Focus Points 1 Hero Points 1

The elf listens intently, but falling back on his diplomatic training does not betray any thought or emotion on his face.


Ok, two down, two to go. Who's next?

51 to 100 of 346 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / PFS2 01-01 The Absalom Initiation All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.