GM SpiderBeard's Age of Ashes

Game Master Barvo Delancy

Chapter 1: Hellknight Hill

Campaign Maps


51 to 100 of 156 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

Male Half-Elf Bard 1 | AC 17 | HP 15/15 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +5 | Perception +5, low-light vision | Focus Points 2/2 |
Spells:
1st - 2/2
| Reactions: counterperformance

Aramil took in the room as he entered. The acoustics in this room must be fantastic.

Searching out a seat with the others, he sits and listens as Council President Gardenia welcomes them, and announces the...ambassador to the local goblin tribe? Isger was truly a strange place.

She began speaking, and then everything went crazy. The townsman runs into the room yelling about fire, and the Hugo panics.Well, that won’t help matters.

”Lenna, evacuating the building is a good idea. We should do what we can to keep it orderly. First, I think, we’ll need to find a safe place to get everyone to. I’ll go speak to the Council. Varook, Raff, Lenna, start trying to organize people to exit in an orderly fashion. Omari, could you see if Hugo is still close by and get him to help? I don’t want him to get hurt.”

Aramil gets up and heads towards the councilors, descending to the floor. ”Esteemed councilors, my name is Aramil Wellys, one of those adventurers who came to answer the Call for Heroes. We’re here to assist in dealing with this issue. Tell me, is there a safe place we could evacuate people to? How effective would those pumps be for getting water out quickly to fight the fire?”

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14


Male NG Halfling Fighter 1 | HP: 18/18| AC: 18 |F: +7, R: +9, W: +5| Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Active conditions: None

In a voice louder than one would think could come from such a small body, Varook shouts.

"Calm down everyone. Let's evacuate orderly before someone gets hurt. Lenna darling, please get the door and Raff why don't you assist the people outside and away from the structure. Now quickly, but orderly let's go!"

Not too sure what I might roll to get people's attention and have them follow Varook's directions


Human Monk| HP 20/20| AC 17| Fo +7 Re +7 Wi +6| Percep +4| Move 25'| Hero Points 1/1 Focus 1/1

Raff is not really listening to the already boring speech when the fellow comes in and announces the fire. He stands up and follows directions he was given. He bellows out as loud as he can in as authoritative a voice as he can muster. "EVERYONE STAY CALM! LET'S LEAVE QUICKLY AN IN GOOD ORDER. NO ONE PANIC AND WE'LL AL GET OUT ALIVE." He begins to motion to direct people to leave.

Raff Intimidation: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22


Half-Elf Champion 1 | AC 18 (19 w/shield) | HP 19/19 | Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +5 | Perception +3, low-light vision | Focus Points 1/1 |Reactions: Glimpse of Redemption, Shield Block|

Omari nods to Aramil as they stand "I'll make sure he is ok. Someone see if you can find any buckets. Once I've calmed him down we'll start pumping water. We need to put the fire out."

He dashes out the door trying to catch up with Hugo. "Hugo! Wait! These people need us." Once Hugo is located Omari will head to the pump and begin filling any buckets people bring.


NG Female Ranger 1 | AC 18 | F 6 R 9 W 4 | hp 17/17 | Perc +6, low-light | Hero Points 1 | Effects:

Lenna moves to the rearmost occupied rows and ushers those sitting there to the doors. ”Watch your step, we’ve plenty of time. Those closest to the door first, once you are outside you can move away from the building or help with the firefighting. First, out you go!”


.

When last we left our heroes...

You are in the nation of Isger, a troubled land recovering from the devastation of the Goblinblood Wars and now dealing with an influx of refugees from the north thanks to the return of the Whispering Tyrant and devastation of Lastwall. This brings you to Breachhill.

Breachhill is an odd outpost, settled into the foothills of the Five Kings around fifty miles from the border of the prophecy-obsessed merchants of Druma. Its residence have a reputation for being both brave community-minded. The most notable landmark is Hellknight Hill and Citadel Altaerein atop it. The Citadel was once the headquarters of the Hellknight Order of the Nail but has long-since been abandoned.

Today, you have come for your own reasons to Breachhill and to answer its monthly Call to Heroes. This month, a pleading goblin woman named Warbal is asking for the help of heroes to investigate the distress signal of the Bumblebrasher Tribe, who live within the Citadel.

However, something has interrupted the proceedings....

================
Part One: The Council's Chosen
================

"FIRE! EVERYONE FLEE !" the words ring out as flames burst forth from the western doorway. Almost immediately the townspeople lunge to their feet, tipping over the benches and creating pandemonium. Shrieking about a prophecy of a dragon god come to kill you all, Hugo bolts into the crowd and is lost within seconds.

The council before you look around in stunned panic. Doors don't just burst into flames on their own.

Initiative:

Something: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Amaril: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Varook: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
Raff: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Fire: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Omari: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Lenna: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

Round One:

Fire
----
Amaril
Varook
Omari
Lenna
Raff

Everyone is up! The fire is raging at the western door. If you wish to assist with leading spectators out you can move to adjacent spectators and spend three actions to command attention, calm them, and escort them one of the doors (north and south). There's also a fire to deal with in whatever way you think is best. I am receptive to clever ideas.


Human Monk| HP 20/20| AC 17| Fo +7 Re +7 Wi +6| Percep +4| Move 25'| Hero Points 1/1 Focus 1/1

So that's two rounds for each spectator? One round to move to them then a full round to effect them? Do our prior actions count (that was a good roll)?

Raff hurries to the stage and tries to help Warbal to the back door.


NG Female Ranger 1 | AC 18 | F 6 R 9 W 4 | hp 17/17 | Perc +6, low-light | Hero Points 1 | Effects:

Lenna has no water or fire magic, so she will focus on spectators.

Shouting to be heard above the panic, Lenna hustles to the center aisle and toward the doors to the main hall.

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, YOUR ATTENTION, PLEASE! WE NEED TO THE EXIT THE BUILDING NOW! AID YOUR NEIGHBOR AND MOVE TO THE BACK OF THE ROOM IN AN ORDERLY FASHION. CONTINUE OUT AND ACROSS THE STREET!" And she repeats this as necessary.

Spiderbeard, please roll as necessary - I am literally walking out the door when I press submit. I did move my token on the map for three move actions.


Half-Elf Champion 1 | AC 18 (19 w/shield) | HP 19/19 | Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +5 | Perception +3, low-light vision | Focus Points 1/1 |Reactions: Glimpse of Redemption, Shield Block|

Unable to find Hugo, Omari heads to the nearest townsperson to aid them in escaping. As Omari gets them out the door, they provide some instruction.

"You. Form a bucket brigade! As we get people out it is up to you to organize them to put out the fire itself. Lives are in your hands, do not let your fellows down."


Male Half-Elf Bard 1 | AC 17 | HP 15/15 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +5 | Perception +5, low-light vision | Focus Points 2/2 |
Spells:
1st - 2/2
| Reactions: counterperformance

I am slightly confused by the rules for this encounter. For instance, are we capable of commanding the attention of and calming the emotions of multiple people at a time, or does this have to be done one by one? I ask because if we have to go spectator by spectator, we might be better off fighting the fire. There's a lot more of them than there are of us. Still, I have something I'd like to try.

Grabbing his lute, Aramil runs for the stage ascending it quickly, he turns and begins playing an inspiring ballad, attempting to calm the fears of as much of the crowd as possible so they can gain control quickly. As he plays, the song seems to linger in the air, such that the notes can still be heard even if he stopped playing.

Two move actions to get up to the stage, a free action to activate my Lingering Composition focus power, and then a third action for my inspire courage cantrip. I'm trying to use inspire courage to calm the crowd. It affects all my allies within 60 feet, and I'm treating everyone in the room as my ally. That should get almost everyone.

Lingering Composition Performance: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

If that's a success, inspire courage lasts for 3 rounds. If Critical Success, 4 rounds.


.

@Raff you can keep that intimidate check.

GM Rolls:

Aramil Will Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

Raff stands and bellows for people to start getting out of the room, focusing on a couple near the exit. They manage to extricate themselves and make for the doorway.

Lenna's powerful voice rings out in the room as she makes her way to the southern door to start getting people out.

Omari starts calling for people to get a bucket brigade. The councilors all stand to their feet and start echoing Omari's calls. "Get to the fountain outside of the town hall! There's buckets near it!"

Finally Aramil stands up and begins playing. Lutes are not the loudest of instruments but there is a resonance to the song which spreads out over the room and you see people start to organize themselves a little better.

Two of the villagers manage to escape under Raff's commands while the councilors leap over their table and make for the southern door to start helping people escape. The fire spreads, but things start to get a little more orderly when...

eeeheheheheheheheheheheheeh

Racing from the fire is a small, bat-winged creature with bright orange skin, covered in flame. It flaps straight for Aramil and Raff. Aramil feels a sudden fiery shock in his head as he tries to play.

Recall knowledge: Arcana or Nature DC 15:

This creature is a fire mephit, conniving denizens of the plane of fire. They can both breathe fire and heal themselves if they bathe in flames.

Round Two:

Mephit
Fire
----
Amaril
Varook
Omari
Lenna
Raff
Villagers

Aramil takes two mental damage. Everyone is up!

Aramil your lingering composition is a crit success and will last for four rounds. While inspire courage is active, people can escort three villagers out at a time rather than two and the DC drops to use social skills.


Male Half-Elf Bard 1 | AC 17 | HP 15/15 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +5 | Perception +5, low-light vision | Focus Points 2/2 |
Spells:
1st - 2/2
| Reactions: counterperformance

Aramil didn't know what the flying thing was, but he was not dealing with it. Aramil changes the tune on his lute to something more discordant, creating a visual, olfactory, auditory, tactile display that assaults the flying creature's senses.

Two Actions to Cast a Spell. Casting daze, which deals 4 mental damage and allows a basic Will save of DC 17. If it critically fails, the creature is stunned 1.

Basic Saving Throw:

Sometimes you will be called on to attempt a basic saving throw. This type of saving throw works just like any other saving throw—the “basic” part refers to the effects. For a basic save, you’ll attempt the check and determine whether you critically succeed, succeed, fail, or critically fail like you would any other saving throw. Then one of the following outcomes applies based on your degree of success—no matter what caused the saving throw.

Critical Success You take no damage from the spell, hazard, or effect that caused you to attempt the save.
Success You take half the listed damage from the effect.
Failure You take the full damage listed from the effect.
Critical Failure You take double the listed damage from the effect.

Rules on the note included mostly for my benefit, since we're all learning the rules.

He then seamlessly transitions to another song, causing a glowing, floating shield to appear before him.

Using my third action to Cast a Spell. Casting Shield, AC is 18. I temporarily gain the Shield Block reaction.

Lingering Inspire Courage: 3/4 rounds remaining.


Half-Elf Champion 1 | AC 18 (19 w/shield) | HP 19/19 | Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +5 | Perception +3, low-light vision | Focus Points 1/1 |Reactions: Glimpse of Redemption, Shield Block|

Omari studies the creature for a brief moment before moving next to it. As they move they call out a warning to both their companions and the creature.

"Its a fire mephit! It can both breath and is healed by fire." he addresses the creature as he rushes towards it. "Creature! It is not to late to stand down. Surrender and help us put out this fire or face our wrath!"

Action 1: Recall Knowledge. Ung, its an action now.
Action 2: Move. If possible adjacent to the creature and within 15 feet of a townsfolk or ally in case it attacks one of them.
Action 3: Demoralize. I have intimidating glare so no penalty for it not knowing common

Arcana: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Intimidate: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Recall Knowledge:
You attempt a skill check to try to remember a bit of knowledge regarding a topic related to that skill. The GM determines the DCs for such checks and which skills apply.
Critical Success You recall the knowledge accurately and gain additional information or context.
Success You recall the knowledge accurately or gain a useful clue about your current situation.
Critical Failure You recall incorrect information or gain an erroneous or misleading clue..

Demoralize:
With a sudden shout, a well-timed taunt, or a cutting putdown, you can shake an enemy’s resolve. Choose a creature within 30 feet of you who you’re aware of. Attempt an Intimidation check against that target’s Will DC. If the target does not understand the language you are speaking, you’re not speaking a language, or they can’t hear you, you take a –4 circumstance penalty to the check. Regardless of your result, the target is temporarily immune to your attempts to Demoralize it for 10 minutes.
Critical Success The target becomes frightened 2.
Success The target becomes frightened 1.


Human Monk| HP 20/20| AC 17| Fo +7 Re +7 Wi +6| Percep +4| Move 25'| Hero Points 1/1 Focus 1/1

Raff moves over to confront the evil creature. "Get them out. I'll handle this." He readies his spear and strikes.

Longspear: reach, inspire courage
To Hit: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 7 + 1 = 11 Piercing: 1d8 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 4 + 1 = 6


Half-Elf Champion 1 | AC 18 (19 w/shield) | HP 19/19 | Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +5 | Perception +3, low-light vision | Focus Points 1/1 |Reactions: Glimpse of Redemption, Shield Block|

I just noticed the link to the map! I've moved my Icon!


Male NG Halfling Fighter 1 | HP: 18/18| AC: 18 |F: +7, R: +9, W: +5| Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Active conditions: None

Seeing that some of the others are working to get the commoners to safety, Varook first looks over to see that Lenna is safe before moving towards the fire itself. He is surprised when the odd creature flutters from the flames.

"What is that? A demon?"

He readies his weapons as the creature appraches them.


.

Back!

Varook can you specify what your actions were? Move and - did you ready an attack or just draw your sword?

GM rolls:

Will: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

While Aramil's performance continues to inspire the group he switches tactics and gets into a battle of magical zapping with the mephit. Unfortunately the mephit completely ignores his spell! The mephit also ignores the angry look from Omari and dodges Raff's attack as the quick little bastard moves in.

Lenna is up!


NG Female Ranger 1 | AC 18 | F 6 R 9 W 4 | hp 17/17 | Perc +6, low-light | Hero Points 1 | Effects:

Lenna's first priority is the spectators. She will spend as many of her three actions as she must to continue to shepherd them out the door.

Keeping her voice raised, Lenna continues to give directions.

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, YOU ARE DOING GREAT! CONTINUE OUT OF THE BUILDING AND TO THE WELL. AID YOUR NEIGHBOR AND MOVE TO THE BACK OF THE ROOM IN AN ORDERLY FASHION. CONTINUE OUT AND ACROSS THE STREET. IF YOU ARE ABLE, FORM A BUCKET BRIGADE AND GET THAT WATER COMING!"

If this does not consume her entire turn, she will use remaining actions thusly: 1) Draw her bow, 2) Hunt Prey vs. the mephit, 3) Make a Hunted Shot against the creature. However, I don't believe I get to do any of that this round.


.

Nope getting spectators out is the full action - I promise it makes a difference. Varook's action is moot since the mephit is just breathing fire and being awesome.

GM Rolls:

Raff: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26
Aramil: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Omaril: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Fire: 2d4 ⇒ (2, 3) = 5

Lenna continues escorting people out, grabbing them and pointing them to the exit. The effects of Aramil's song seem to help a great deal as she escorts a further three people out. The town council move as one while Lenna's commanding voice rings out, and more and more people pile into the streets, extricated from the chaos of the knocked over benches and trampled people. Outside, you see Greta ordering people around, trying to form a bucket brigade to follow up on Omari's idea. As more people get out, the good work shows that the room is now half empty.

The northern door suddenly explodes into flame as more fire pours into the room, and the existing fire spreads. The mephit doesn't help as it rears back, and breathes flame over the group. Raff manages to hit the dirt but Omari and Aramil are both set on fire!

Round Three:

Mephit
Fire
----
Amaril (-5) (1d4 persistent fire damage)
Varook
Omari (-5) (1d4 persistent fire damage)
Lenna
Raff
Villagers

Aramil and Omari take 5 damage, and gain 1d4 persistent fire damage!

Everyone is up!


Half-Elf Champion 1 | AC 18 (19 w/shield) | HP 19/19 | Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +5 | Perception +3, low-light vision | Focus Points 1/1 |Reactions: Glimpse of Redemption, Shield Block|

I would like to use my Glimpse of Redemption reaction on the damage that Aramil takes.

Glimpse of Redemption:

Trigger: An enemy damages your ally, and
both are within 15 feet of you.

Your foe hesitates under the weight of sin as
visions of redemption play in their mind’s eye. The
foe must choose one of the following options:
• The ally is unharmed by the triggering damage.
• The ally gains resistance to all damage against
the triggering damage equal to 2 + your level.
After the damaging effect is applied, the enemy
becomes enfeebled 2 until the end of its next turn.

"I gave you the opportunity to surrender creature. Now you shall pay the price."

With that Omari steps up swings their staff twice in a two handed grip.


Action 1: Step 5 feet
Action 2: Attack
Action 3: Attack

Attack 1, Inspire: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
Damage 1,: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Attack 2, Inspire: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Damage 2,: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

Persistent Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 1
End Persistent Damage, DC 15: 1d20 ⇒ 3

Still on fire


Human Monk| HP 20/20| AC 17| Fo +7 Re +7 Wi +6| Percep +4| Move 25'| Hero Points 1/1 Focus 1/1

"Keep them moving." Raff yells as he attacks the mephit.

1- Tiger Stance
2- Longspear: reach
To Hit: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10 Piercing: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
3- Longspear: reach
To Hit: 1d20 + 7 - 5 ⇒ (19) + 7 - 5 = 21 Piercing: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Male Half-Elf Bard 1 | AC 17 | HP 15/15 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +5 | Perception +5, low-light vision | Focus Points 2/2 |
Spells:
1st - 2/2
| Reactions: counterperformance

Am I able to take an action to put out the fire? I just want to know that before I take my turn.


Half-Elf Champion 1 | AC 18 (19 w/shield) | HP 19/19 | Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +5 | Perception +3, low-light vision | Focus Points 1/1 |Reactions: Glimpse of Redemption, Shield Block|

The section on persistent damage says its a 2 action activity to give yourself an extra check. If it is particularly appropriate (it specifically calls out dousing yourself in water to stop fire damage) then reduce the check DC to 10 instead of 15. As far as I can tell there isn't really a way to automatically end persistent damage. Page 621 if you want to read it. =)


NG Female Ranger 1 | AC 18 | F 6 R 9 W 4 | hp 17/17 | Perc +6, low-light | Hero Points 1 | Effects:

Keeping her voice raised, Lenna keeps encouraging the townsfolk to exit the premises.

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, YOU ARE DOING GREAT! PLEASE CONTINUE. IF YOU CAN GET IN THE BUCKET BRIGADE, WE NEED WATER! IF YOU CANNOT, PLEASE MOVE TO THE FAR SIDE OF THE STREET AND SAFETY!"


.

Omari meets the mephit's gaze and it quickly averts its breath, leaving Aramil unharmed. Omari and Raff then close in on the mephit and with great efficiency, cut the little bastard down with a whack from Omari's staff and Raff skewering it into the ground to make sure its dead.

Lenna continues ushering people out, which is a very good thing considering how much smoke is filling the room.

@Aramil - sure but you need to tell me how you're putting it out.

Aramil and Varook are up! The mephit is dead, but the fire is raging and there's still villagers to save.


Male Half-Elf Bard 1 | AC 17 | HP 15/15 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +5 | Perception +5, low-light vision | Focus Points 2/2 |
Spells:
1st - 2/2
| Reactions: counterperformance

Wait, an I still on fire? I was asking about putting out the fire on myself.


Male NG Halfling Fighter 1 | HP: 18/18| AC: 18 |F: +7, R: +9, W: +5| Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Active conditions: None

Varook moves to assist the remaining crowd in exiting the building. He stands on a chair in the hopes people will be able to see him better.


.

@Aramil whoops thought another player posted that but you take the persistent damage, then roll a DC 15 flat check which removes the damage if successful. You can take two actions to stop drop & roll to get another check.


Half-Elf Champion 1 | AC 18 (19 w/shield) | HP 19/19 | Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +5 | Perception +3, low-light vision | Focus Points 1/1 |Reactions: Glimpse of Redemption, Shield Block|

Shouldn't Amaril no have persistent damage since the Mephit aborted its attack on her due to my reaction? Sorry for the confusing ability, its all new =)


Male Half-Elf Bard 1 | AC 17 | HP 15/15 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +5 | Perception +5, low-light vision | Focus Points 2/2 |
Spells:
1st - 2/2
| Reactions: counterperformance

That's why I'm confused. Did Glimpse of Redemption avert the damage, thus I am not on fire? Or am I still on fire, and thus would like to stop, drop and roll to try and put the fire out?


.

... okay I'm blaming Monday. You are correct. No damage = no persistent damage. Aramil is not on fire and can act normally.


Male Half-Elf Bard 1 | AC 17 | HP 15/15 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +5 | Perception +5, low-light vision | Focus Points 2/2 |
Spells:
1st - 2/2
| Reactions: counterperformance

With the mephit dead, Aramil shouts from the dais, "Everyone, please keep moving towards the exit! Do not come this way to the fire! If you are able-bodied, please assist in forming a bucket brigade to fight the fire! Again, please move towards the exit in an orderly fashion!"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

Three actions trying to get people to move to the exit.


.

Going to hit fast-forward because there's no need to roleplay out several RL days of just battling the fire. Also, one round before smoke inhalation damage. Yay!

The rest of the villagers are ushered out just as the smoke becomes intolerable and thanks to Omari's earlier suggestion, a bucket brigade is already set up. Quickly, villagers begin the process of handing bucket from person to person to douse the flames inside. Although the two doorways are badly scorched, the chaos of the fire ends without any deaths beyond the mephit, which appears to have dissolved into nothing after being slain.

The townsfolk are clearly very happy with your efforts and you get a lot of backslaps and congratulations, along with the council who helped save a large number of people.

Greta Gardania looks around, hugging some of the townspeople next to her, while others wearily clap her on the back in thanks for their lives. "What manner of madness just happened? This can be no accident! Did anyone see anything?"

One of the guards who was stationed outside before the fire began raises his hand, then his voice. "Aye," says the wearied, uniformed man. “The clerks saw everything—it was Calmont, that cad of a bookseller’s apprentice. He lit the fires in the halls next to the chamber. He also set that fire monster loose on the crowd!”

A second guard, a grave but steely woman, shouts "Indeed!" in assent. "And witnesses outside the building saw him run toward Hellknight Hill!" A surprised and worried wave ripples through the crowd at this information, including Warbal’s distinct voice: "The citadel! My Bumblebrashers!”

Greta raises her hand authoritatively, and the crowd begins to calm. “Friends, we’ll get to the bottom of this," she assures them. “But we can’t do it alone. Who are the heroes in attendance today? Heroes, are you willing to investigate Hellknight Hill?”


Half-Elf Champion 1 | AC 18 (19 w/shield) | HP 19/19 | Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +5 | Perception +3, low-light vision | Focus Points 1/1 |Reactions: Glimpse of Redemption, Shield Block|

How much damage does Omari take before the fire goes out? They would focus more on putting out the building than themselves.

Omari will step forward at Greta's call. "I am Omari Oparal. Champion of Nethys. I had come to this town looking for knowledge and excitement. Now I see that there is duty to be had as well. I will aid you." They pause for a second and look around with concern. "Has anyone seen Hugo?"


Male Half-Elf Bard 1 | AC 17 | HP 15/15 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +5 | Perception +5, low-light vision | Focus Points 2/2 |
Spells:
1st - 2/2
| Reactions: counterperformance

Calmont, hmm? A Bookseller's Apprentice who unleashed the fire monster... Aramil looked to his companions, and at their nods, spoke up. "My name is Aramil Wellys, wandering minstrel who heard of the Call to Heroes and came to town with several others. I would be happy to investigate Hellknight Hill."


Human Monk| HP 20/20| AC 17| Fo +7 Re +7 Wi +6| Percep +4| Move 25'| Hero Points 1/1 Focus 1/1

"Of course we'll go. Warbal, is there anything else we need to know before we leave?"


NG Female Ranger 1 | AC 18 | F 6 R 9 W 4 | hp 17/17 | Perc +6, low-light | Hero Points 1 | Effects:

Lenna has been circulating among the crowd, chatting amiably and clucking over any injuries with townsfolk, downplaying her role in the episode as Varook stays near. "You folks saved the building - I couldn't handle such a large bucket! All I did was talk!"

When Varook gets her attention back and gestures to Greta, Lenna makes her apologies and hustles over. "Oh, yes! We are here to aid the town, also! Um, what exactly is Hellknight Hill? When do we start?"


.

One of the guards jerks her thumb over to a quivering wreck of a man hidden behind a fountain. The wide, soulful eyes of Hugo peek out. "... I... um. I think the Call to Heroes wasn't the best bet for me. Maybe we can have a drink Omari, I'm going to find some work in town."

The mayor sighs before looking to all of you. She has a deep voice and a straightforward, businesslike attitude. "Pleased to meet you all, I am Greta Gardania, mayor of Breachhill. You've all done this town a valuable service, I'll make sure you're outfitted with a reward and some equipment for your service already. Here is the mission we offer. Ten gold for contacting the Bumblebrashers, which is the first priority."

Warbal, already a nervous wreck, bursts into tears when she realizes her request has been accepted. Greta pats her on the shoulder. "The Bumblebrashers have been good allies to the town, of course we'll help friends in need. Ten more gold for that bastard Calmont alive if at all possible, we want to know why he set the damn town hall on fire."

Greta points to a ruined fortress that overlooks the town atop a hill. "Hellknight Hill is the nickname for the hill itself, but the true destination is Citadel Altaerin. It was the headquarters for the Order of the Nail for years but was abandoned when they relocated to Varisia. Since then various groups have tried to settle in it, such as the Bumblebrashers, but any number of dangerous monsters. As such we avoid it. I'll request you begin the mission tomorrow morning at the latest, but since you are responding to a distress call the sooner the better."

Let me know if you have questions or anything you wish to pursue within Breachhill itself or if you just want to push onto the Citadel immediately.


NG Female Ranger 1 | AC 18 | F 6 R 9 W 4 | hp 17/17 | Perc +6, low-light | Hero Points 1 | Effects:

Lenna is good with leaving immediately if the group so chooses.

Lenna looks around at her friends, new and old, with an excited grin. There’s no doubt, she’s ready to go now.


Half-Elf Champion 1 | AC 18 (19 w/shield) | HP 19/19 | Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +5 | Perception +3, low-light vision | Focus Points 1/1 |Reactions: Glimpse of Redemption, Shield Block|

"I don't see why we wouldn't head out right away. I would appreciate 10 minutes to rest and pray before we set out though." With that Omari lays hands upon them self, healing the damage caused by the fire. Given time to pray they will take the time to refocus and get their Focus point back.


Male Half-Elf Bard 1 | AC 17 | HP 15/15 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +5 | Perception +5, low-light vision | Focus Points 2/2 |
Spells:
1st - 2/2
| Reactions: counterperformance

Aramil nods in agreement. "We can go as soon as we are ready. While Omari prays, I would like top play something that will help calm the townsfolk."

Aramil begins playing his lute, a nice, soothing, calming melody to help the townsfolk feel less on edge after the fire.

Spending 10 minutes performing to refocus and recover my spent Focus point.


NG Female Ranger 1 | AC 18 | F 6 R 9 W 4 | hp 17/17 | Perc +6, low-light | Hero Points 1 | Effects:

Seeing her new friends aren't grabbing swords and charging up the hill, Lenna moves over to Warbal and puts a hand on her shoulder. If the goblin seems amenable, the halfling will give her a hug. "We'll do what we can. Tell me about the citadel. If someone is watching for us, where would they watch from? Is there a less obvious entrance, perhaps, that we could reach the building unseen?"

She just tries to gently pry as much information about their destination as the distraught goblin can share.


Male NG Halfling Fighter 1 | HP: 18/18| AC: 18 |F: +7, R: +9, W: +5| Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Active conditions: None

Varook gathers up his and Lenna's packs and moves over to the fountain.

"I agree we should help these people in discovering what is going on in the keep. Count me in!"


NG Female Ranger 1 | AC 18 | F 6 R 9 W 4 | hp 17/17 | Perc +6, low-light | Hero Points 1 | Effects:

Lenna sees Varook carrying her pack and gives him a big smile before turning back to Warbal, taking one of her hands in both of her own, listens intently to any clues the goblin woman can provide.


.

Before you go, Greta has you wait up a moment before returning with a reward for your work in the town hall.

- two minor healing potions
- lesser antidote
- lesser antiplague
- 50 sp each

The councilors all give you handshakes as you take off, muttering their words of encouragement. Warbal tearfully offers hugs, babbling her thanks about you helping her Bumblebrashers. With Breachhill at your back, you head to the northeast.

===================
Chapter 2: The Ruined Citadel
===================

Citadel Altaerein stands just over a mile northeast of Breachill, at the end of a rocky but well-demarcated path that leads up the gradually sloping sides of Hellknight Hill. The journey is a short one, and soon the citadel looms before you.

Rising from the hilltop above is a looming structure of crumbling stone and still-imposing battlements, though verdant nature is reclaiming the site. Plumes of red smoke—which ambassador Warbal believes to be distress signals from the Bumblebrasher goblins—rise from the roof of the keep’s central tower. This place can only be Citadel Altaerein, the infamous former home of the Order of the Nail Hellknights, now fallen into ruin. The gate-like doors in the center of the keep hang ajar—not surprising, since no one has maintained this facility in years.

Smoke pours from the battlements at the very top of the Citadel, obviously the distress signal Warbal indicated. As you approach, the main double doors stand ajar before you. The remainder of the citadel is crumbling with tall walls and overgrown brambles surrounding its perimeter.

Recall Knowledge: Crafting or DC 13 Architecture (or relevant Hellknight) Lore:

Keeps in the style of Citadel Altaerein are typically built with stairways that lead up to any lookout or battlement areas. Therefore, venturing inside is likely the best way to find the goblin.

Map is updated. Let me know how you wish to proceed. My presumed party order is Varook, Omari, Raff as melee and Aramil then Lenna as ranged but let me know if that should change.


Male Half-Elf Bard 1 | AC 17 | HP 15/15 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +5 | Perception +5, low-light vision | Focus Points 2/2 |
Spells:
1st - 2/2
| Reactions: counterperformance

Aramil thanks the council, and joins the others in moving off.

---------------------------------------------------

Crafting: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Aramil looks at the semi-ruined citadel and says, "We will likely need to move inside in order to look at the distress signal. Keeps in this style typically have stairways built to lead up to the lookouts or battlements."


Half-Elf Champion 1 | AC 18 (19 w/shield) | HP 19/19 | Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +5 | Perception +3, low-light vision | Focus Points 1/1 |Reactions: Glimpse of Redemption, Shield Block|

Omari thanks Gretta before heading off with their companions.

Craft: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Well, at least I didn't critically fail.

"No time like the present. I suppose we should just walk in the front door? What shall we use as standard operating procedure? Are any of you versed in searching for or disarming traps? Not that I think this place is trapped."


Male NG Halfling Fighter 1 | HP: 18/18| AC: 18 |F: +7, R: +9, W: +5| Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Active conditions: None

The halfling warrior listens to his teammates talk about the fortress. While they are talking he takes a good look at the portal before them.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19


NG Female Ranger 1 | AC 18 | F 6 R 9 W 4 | hp 17/17 | Perc +6, low-light | Hero Points 1 | Effects:
Omari Oparal wrote:
"No time like the present. I suppose we should just walk in the front door? What shall we use as standard operating procedure? Are any of you versed in searching for or disarming traps? Not that I think this place is trapped."

Perception during the approach: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

As they have approached the citadel, Lenna has gotten progressively more business-like. At Omari's question, she nods, "Well, I have a cousin that has a sixth sense about traps. Seems like if he gets close to one, it calls out to him. I'm not as good as he is, but he's showed me a thing or two. Let me get a bit ahead of the rest of you."

Mechanically, while she doesn't have the Trap Finder skill feat, she has decent Perception and is trained in Thievery. Her expectation is to take point. She will move slowly and stealthily as she scouts and will have a dagger readied as she moves. I presume her Perception and Stealth rolls will be secret rolls.


Male Half-Elf Bard 1 | AC 17 | HP 15/15 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +5 | Perception +5, low-light vision | Focus Points 2/2 |
Spells:
1st - 2/2
| Reactions: counterperformance

Aramil shifts a bit before he says, "I also know a thing or two about traps - knowledge that I've picked up here and there. I may be able to assist if Lenna feels she needs it."

Aramil is also trained in Thievery, although his Perception isn't quite as good.

"Perhaps our order should be Lenna taking point to look for any traps, followed by Varook, Raff, and yourself, Omari? I should be able to handle being the rear guard."

51 to 100 of 156 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Taban and the age of ashes gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.