Zirnakaynin: Blood and Darkness: The Gladiatrix Saga

Game Master Dragoncat

A campaign set in the drow city of Zirnakaynin, following a band of gladiators as they fight their way to gold, glory and the promise of freedom.

Performance Combat Rules
Maps!

CROWD ATTITUDES!
Anabel: Indifferent
Brevka: Helpful
Kaxatja: Friendly
Lilamma: Friendly
Lyra'an: Helpful

VICTORY POINTS: 2

Current Date: Starday, 7th of Sarenith, 4705 AR


151 to 200 of 440 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

Female Half-Orc Primal Spelleater 1 | HP 14/14(16) | AC 15 (13), T 11 (9), FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort +7(9), Ref +3, Will +4(6) | Init +1 | Perc +0 | SM +0 | Performance Combat +5 | Rage Rounds 7/7

"I think she's starting to like me."


Female Tiefling (Kiton Born) Skald 1 Init +2 Hp 10/10 AC 17 T 14 FF 15 Fort +4 Ref +2 Will +1 Spd 30 DR 2/Silver Perc +3 Pic

Lilamma,out of boredom, tries to get some fun with the knives, closing her eyes for a maximum thrill

Sleight of hand: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


Lilamma

You stab between your fingers with frightening alacrity and practice. In fact, your performance seems to have attracted the attention of a few of the other gladiators in the mess hall. One of them, a male drow with his stark white hair tied back in a ponytail, sits across from you.

"You know, you could lose a finger doing that. Then the First Daughter wouldn't be happy." He observes, but makes no move to stop you.
------------------
Anabel

Once you've made it back to the cells, Erevas pulls you into his and closes the door behind you.

"Is she always that... forward? Trying that on a drow, no matter their rank, is just asking for trouble."


Female Tiefling (Kiton Born) Skald 1 Init +2 Hp 10/10 AC 17 T 14 FF 15 Fort +4 Ref +2 Will +1 Spd 30 DR 2/Silver Perc +3 Pic

Got other fingers. Could lose the whole hand in the arena, and the First Daughter would maybe applaude. So what's the point?

Lilamma opens her eyes, and deliberatly plays with the tip of the knive on the back of her hand, opening small wounds

Let's say 2 Non Lethal dmg

Oh NOW I got the point... We're here to suffer for someone else enjoyment, not our own pleasure. Got it, really. Won't do it again soon, sir.

she smiles at the drow, in an eerie way

Could you be so kind as to pass the salt, dear?

Intimidate: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12


Anabel shrugs. "She is brazen, to be sure. I hope she doesn't bite off more than she can chew."


Lilamma

The drow arches his eyebrow at you as you start poking your hand with the knife before sliding a salt shaker your way. He seems to be more intrigued than unnerved by your desire to hurt yourself.


Female Neutral Drider HP 11/11 | AC: 14/T 12/ FF 13 | Fort: +3; Ref: +1; Will: +5 | Init: +2 | Per +6 ; SM: +2 | Spd 40 ft. , Climb 20 ft.| CMB: +2 CMD 13 (+25 vs. trip) | Darkvision 60ft | Performance Combat +6

Kaxatja smiles, her face taut in the poor light.

”Hmm. Yes. But my life plagues me more.

The drider makes no move to leave her nest, her head the only part of her to move as it shifts to one side.

”Kamala. You stopped here before. What is is that you want?


Female Tiefling (Kiton Born) Skald 1 Init +2 Hp 10/10 AC 17 T 14 FF 15 Fort +4 Ref +2 Will +1 Spd 30 DR 2/Silver Perc +3 Pic

Fearlessly, Lilamma pours salt on the wound, and rubs it in.

She Strokes her arm, the left and now wounded one, then the right one, sensually, rythmically, and to the sound of a song unsung, climbs on the table to dance, showing her legs and baring her feet.

She smashes a few glasses on the table, for good measure, and dance in and around the shards

There isn't too much discipline, only wildness, and the occasional self-cruelty, in the dance. But some wicked souls could enjoy its art and sensuality.

Dance: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

When she is finally exhausted from her dance, Lilamma calmly sits, and eats her meal, ravenously


Female Fetchling Knifemaster 1 | HP 10/10 | AC 16 (14), T 14 (12), FF 12(10) | CMD 14 | Fort +1 Ref +4, Will +0 | Init +10 | Perc +4 | SA +1d8
Brevka, Princess of the North wrote:
"I think she's starting to like me."

"What's not to like." Lyra'an says with a giggle as she slowly gets to her feet, eyes roaming Brevka's towering frame with a glint in her eyes.

"So cold first?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Half-Orc Primal Spelleater 1 | HP 14/14(16) | AC 15 (13), T 11 (9), FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort +7(9), Ref +3, Will +4(6) | Init +1 | Perc +0 | SM +0 | Performance Combat +5 | Rage Rounds 7/7

"Maybe she realizes how considerate I've been in having a battle of wills with her where her options aren't to break me or die." She was already looking down to talk to Lyra'an, and she found her gaze falling into the shadows that crept about the pale woman. Brevka was used to light bringing color to the world, and what was darkness to weaker eyes doing nothing more than draining away those hues. In some ways the darkness made things sharper, less distracting.

On Lyra'an though, almost all of her was black and white to begin with, and in the darkness the shadows that Brevka normally ignored seemed almost to bloom and stretch along her perfect, pale skin...

Hnngh. Been staring at her a while. Not that she seems to mind.

The corner of Brevka's mouth curved up into a smirk, her lip popping open to reveal that side's half-grown tusk. "If you'd been listening earlier like you should've, you'd know I want to start hot."

She let that sit for no more than half a second before she was moving, brushing past Lyra'an with a quick smack to her bottom, "Better keep up, Baby Blades, we're going to the Caldarum."


Brevka & Lyra'an

As you and Lyra'an get up to leave the Tepidarium, you open the door to see Nathrae standing in the doorway, a bottle of wine in her hands. "...I take it you're ready to move on, then."

"Keep in mind, the Caldarium's heat can play havoc with someone if they've been drinking."
-------------------
Kaxatja

Kamala takes a couple of steps into your cell, looking around at its furnishings before addressing you again. "I wished to offer you congratulations. You fought well."

"...and, perhaps, offer some condolences for your... predicament." She looks at your arachnid body, her expression softening slightly.
-------------------
Anabel

Erevas nervously swallows. "They have long memories... and more patience than many give them credit for."

He then shakes his head. "...thank you. For your words, and, well..." He gives you a shy smile as he clasps your hand in his.
-------------------
Lilamma

When you start pouring salt on your wound, the drow opposite you arches his eyebrows even further. Other gladiators in the mess hall--and some of the kitchen staff--stop what they're doing and turn to watch as you get up on the table after sensually grinding handfuls of salt into your arms. With a quick smash of a few glasses, you create a carpet of shards to dance upon. One of the kitchen staff raises a brief objection before stopping to stare.

The drow sitting across from you greedily drinks you in with his eyes as you dance, unhindered by the shards of glass pricking your legs and feet. The pain stings and shoots through your body--but it makes you tingle in such pleasurable ways.

Take 2 points of non-lethal damage.

When you finish, the gathered gladiators give you a round of applause. The drow stands up and offers you his hand.

"That was... sensational. Do you enjoy pain, then?"


"Any time. May the spirits protect you, Erevas," Anabel says. She stretches up on her tiptoes to kiss the other elf, then heads back to her cell.


Female Half-Orc Primal Spelleater 1 | HP 14/14(16) | AC 15 (13), T 11 (9), FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort +7(9), Ref +3, Will +4(6) | Init +1 | Perc +0 | SM +0 | Performance Combat +5 | Rage Rounds 7/7

She hadn't heard Nathrae coming, but a pulse of alarm from Kirpi had kept her from being completely caught off guard.

She smiled broadly as she saw the drow approach, and walked towards her in with an open unwary posture. "Excellent! You are a credit to your mistress." She reached back a bit behind her to slide her arm across Lyra'an and hustle her forward to stand at her side. "I am certain that an acolyte as loyal as you will see that there are no mishaps that would hurt us on the sands. I won't drink much," she reached out for the bottle with a conspiratorial smile, "I wouldn't want you to face discipline if I got dizzy and cracked open my head in the baths."

With a twist of her thumbnail she uncorked the bottle and after a toast, "To House Volatexia! And to Victory!" she tilted the bottle back in a long swig before passing it back to Nathrae. "We'll have to share since there are no glasses."

She was a big woman, but she hadn't eaten in a day- No, that was... It's been two days. Mortal food had lost its savor, and she only ate when her hunger pangs or some sort of obvious reason compelled her to do so. If I drink too much I really will have to keep my head. Even if it isn't poisoned.


Brevka & Lyra'an

Brevka wrote:
"I wouldn't want you to face discipline if I got dizzy and cracked open my head in the baths."

"Your concern is noted." Nathrae replies in a tone drier than sand.

She takes the bottle back after Brevka drinks from it and wipes its rim with a cloth. "This way, please."

The Caldarium, as it turns out, looks similar to the Tepidarium, with a few marked differences. The long, rectangular room is suffused with a warm red glow from three pits of burning coals along the north, east and south walls. Bathing supplies are on a shelf on the west wall, next to the door. The pool itself is a bit shallower than the Tepidarium's pool, with a stone 'bench' under the water around the pool's rim that allows bathers to sit.


Female Half-Orc Primal Spelleater 1 | HP 14/14(16) | AC 15 (13), T 11 (9), FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort +7(9), Ref +3, Will +4(6) | Init +1 | Perc +0 | SM +0 | Performance Combat +5 | Rage Rounds 7/7

She seizes the bottle, stopping Nathrae in her tracks unless she lets go, or fights. "Come on, drink with me! For the honor of the house and god you serve! This is not just a bath, Acolyte. This is an offering. Think of the blood still to be spilled and celebrate with us!"


Brevka & Lyra'an

Nathrae pauses, then takes a swig from the bottle.


Female Neutral Drider HP 11/11 | AC: 14/T 12/ FF 13 | Fort: +3; Ref: +1; Will: +5 | Init: +2 | Per +6 ; SM: +2 | Spd 40 ft. , Climb 20 ft.| CMB: +2 CMD 13 (+25 vs. trip) | Darkvision 60ft | Performance Combat +6

A dry laugh escapes the drider's throat.

"My thanks Kamala. A good throw, but the net is easy. If I were "good" I would have finished her off rather than let her spit me."

Kaxatja unfurls her legs and clambers out of her nest. She stretches and considers the ebon woman.

"You live to fight again, despite my best effort, so we share a predicament there." A pause, and the drider continues. "It is said you are favored by a demon lord." Kaxatja's eyes bore into Kamala's.

"Is it true? Which one?" she asks without a shadow of guile.


Female Tiefling (Kiton Born) Skald 1 Init +2 Hp 10/10 AC 17 T 14 FF 15 Fort +4 Ref +2 Will +1 Spd 30 DR 2/Silver Perc +3 Pic

Lilamma answers the drow

Let's say I'm not afraid to suffer, or to give someone else the pleasure of pain...which can be helpful in gladiatorial games, you'll admit. But you have to be careful, too much pain can kill someone, and the dead feel nothing. So it's really a matter of balance, of knowing when to stop, how much pain can someone endure.


Female Half-Orc Primal Spelleater 1 | HP 14/14(16) | AC 15 (13), T 11 (9), FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort +7(9), Ref +3, Will +4(6) | Init +1 | Perc +0 | SM +0 | Performance Combat +5 | Rage Rounds 7/7

Brevka beams and passes the bottle on to Lyra'an. "Drink up, Baby Blades! To Victory!"

Brevka gingerly lowered herself into the nearly scalding pool, a muffled grunt escaping her as she sat. "Just by itself, this is all I needed." Eyes barely slitted open, she peered up at Lyra'an and Nathrae. "Until it's time to towel off I won't need any assistance. You can take a break from serving me if you'd like to disrobe and bathe, or you can stand attendance if you'd prefer to stand ready for any whims I might have. I promise I won't send you for anything if you come in though."


Kaxatja

Kaxatja wrote:
"It is said you are favored by a demon lord. Is it true? Which one?"

Kamala arches an eyebrow at you. "...Demon lord? Hmm. I suppose that shouldn't surprise me."

"But, I suppose it took them long enough to figure out. The Razor Princess is my patron."

GM Rolls:
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

DC 18 Sense Motive:
You get the feeling she isn't being truthful...

-------------------
Lilamma

The drow leads you away from the mess hall as slaves emerge from the kitchen to tidy up the mess you left behind.

"Indeed. It's quite refreshing to meet someone else with such an interest on the subject." He looks you over with an interested eye.

"I don't believe I caught your name."
-------------------
Brevka & Lyra'an

Brevka wrote:
"Until it's time to towel off I won't need any assistance. You can take a break from serving me if you'd like to disrobe and bathe, or you can stand attendance if you'd prefer to stand ready for any whims I might have. I promise I won't send you for anything if you come in though."

Nathrae stares at Brevka, then sheds her acolyte's robe with a few quick motions.

She's wearing nothing at all underneath. Compared to Lyra'an and Brevka, she doesn't have nearly as much muscle (though with Brevka, that's really not saying much) as either gladiatrix, but she's fit, trim and graceful. She slides into the steaming water across from the half-orc, visibly relaxing as she does so.


Female Half-Orc Primal Spelleater 1 | HP 14/14(16) | AC 15 (13), T 11 (9), FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort +7(9), Ref +3, Will +4(6) | Init +1 | Perc +0 | SM +0 | Performance Combat +5 | Rage Rounds 7/7

Brevka's mouth quirks in honest appreciation while Nathrae disrobes, and she glances up at Lyra'an to see how she's responding to all this.
"Mmm... I wasn't really sure what you'd do, Acolyte. This is wonderful," she slouched against the rim of the pool, lowering more of her chest beneath the water's edge with a slow smile, "But I know some wouldn't want to enjoy the simple pleasures or companionship of a pair of gladiators. Of course, then you'd just be standing around and wondering if I'll have you rub my back or my calves, or find me a grape, or... Well, Baby Blades? Come on in and take a dip, all of us equals? Or stand in the steam and see what's asked of you?"


Female Neutral Drider HP 11/11 | AC: 14/T 12/ FF 13 | Fort: +3; Ref: +1; Will: +5 | Init: +2 | Per +6 ; SM: +2 | Spd 40 ft. , Climb 20 ft.| CMB: +2 CMD 13 (+25 vs. trip) | Darkvision 60ft | Performance Combat +6

Sense Motive, DC 18: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

"The Razor Princess. I am not familiar with that entity. I might ask Lilamma if she knows of this being."

Kaxatja stands still. "How can the Razor Princess help you? Or me? No matter, for now I wish nothing more than to be left alone again."

The drider climbs, legs adroitly finding purchase on the wall.

"Fare thee well Kamala. And may you strike true, should we meet on the sands."


Female Tiefling (Kiton Born) Skald 1 Init +2 Hp 10/10 AC 17 T 14 FF 15 Fort +4 Ref +2 Will +1 Spd 30 DR 2/Silver Perc +3 Pic

Lilamma Malphé is my name. Maybe I should carve my name in the flesh of my fallen foes, one letter at a time?

She smiles brightly


Kaxatja

Kamala bows once. "Good evening."

She then turns and leaves without another word.
-------------------
Lilamma

"A name to remember. I... am Mordak." The drow looks between you and his cell. "How often do you indulge in pain?"


Female Fetchling Knifemaster 1 | HP 10/10 | AC 16 (14), T 14 (12), FF 12(10) | CMD 14 | Fort +1 Ref +4, Will +0 | Init +10 | Perc +4 | SA +1d8

Taking the bottle from Brevka, Lyra'an takes a good swig of the wine, sighing as it flows down her throat, savoring the taste. She watches with appreciation as the half-orc lowers her powerful body into the hot water, eyes shifting to study Nathrae, smiling even more broadly as she disrobes.

In her time in the brothels, Lyra'an had developed quite the affinity for drow women, the sleek elven perfection coupled with the unique predatory quality they all had, was definitely a source of excitement. Nathrae's trim grace, alongside Brevka's raw physicality was a feast for the eyes.

Taking another healthy swig of the wine, she walks over to the steaming water, the shadows playing across her face, the faint glow of her eyes seeming a bit brighter as she slips into the water, letting out a little hiss at it's initial welcome sting, followed by an appreciative sigh. "Ooohhh this is good!


Brevka & Lyra'an

Nathrae looks between the half-orc and the shadow-clad gladiatrix, beginning with furtive glances but gradually transitioning to full-on appraisal of their bodies.

A hint of a smile appears on her face as her tongue runs along her lips. "Savour it while you can."


Female Half-Orc Primal Spelleater 1 | HP 14/14(16) | AC 15 (13), T 11 (9), FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort +7(9), Ref +3, Will +4(6) | Init +1 | Perc +0 | SM +0 | Performance Combat +5 | Rage Rounds 7/7

Brevka raised an eyebrow, "Do you know what lies before us then? Death or Glory, I know, but do you know more of what's to come tomorrow?"

She took the bottle from Lyra'an, and walked across the pool to hold it out to Nathrae, the shallow pool lapping at her thighs while she waited for her Acolyte to drink. Holding a bottle to allow someone else to drink from it could have been subservient, perhaps Nathrae might even lie to herself that it was, but Brevka's posture made it quite clear that this was barely a request. "Before you answer, just one more drink? I wouldn't risk more in this heat, but what's life without its pleasures?"


Brevka & Lyra'an

Nathrae takes the bottle from Brevka and takes a brief sip before handing it back to her. She doesn't seem at all fazed by Brevka's posture.

"You will continue to train--until First Daughter Alaunirra lends you out to one of her noble 'friends'. At least, that's what she'd like her warriors to think."

"But I did overhear her talking with her brother about the Week of Carnage..."


Female Half-Orc Primal Spelleater 1 | HP 14/14(16) | AC 15 (13), T 11 (9), FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort +7(9), Ref +3, Will +4(6) | Init +1 | Perc +0 | SM +0 | Performance Combat +5 | Rage Rounds 7/7

"The Week of Carnage? Some holy festival?"


Brevka & Lyra'an

"Of a sort." Nathrae stretches back in the pool.

"I understand it's a tournament House Volatexia and House Sardavic are sponsoring. It's being held in the Cyclic Sublime. An entire week of gladiatorial combat, and the final team at the end will be offered a contract with one of Zirnakaynin's other noble houses--I think it's House Misraria."

"Normally, noble houses wouldn't be able to get away with such a blatantly obvious attempt at forging an alliance." She snorts.

DC 10 Knowledge (Local): The Cyclic Sublime:
The Cyclic Sublime is Zirnakaynin's largest entertainment venue--a blend of amphitheatre, coliseum and opera house.

DC 10 Knowledge (Nobility/Local): House Sardavic:
House Sardavic is a drow noble house on about the same level as House Volatexia. They're responsible for most of Zirnakaynin's artistic ventures, and revere Socothbenoth as a demonic patron.

DC 10 Knowledge (Nobility/Local): House Misraria:
House Misraria is a drow noble house that's a bit higher in standing than Volatexia. They're reputed to be the best information brokers in the city. Their demonic patron is Nocticula.


Female Half-Orc Primal Spelleater 1 | HP 14/14(16) | AC 15 (13), T 11 (9), FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort +7(9), Ref +3, Will +4(6) | Init +1 | Perc +0 | SM +0 | Performance Combat +5 | Rage Rounds 7/7

Team? That's good.

Knowledge (local): 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3
Knowledge (local): 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18
Knowledge (local): 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (18) - 1 = 17

Brevka nodded gingerly at Nathrae's explanation, particularly reticent at the names.

"Well. If your mistress decides to put us on the sands, we'll fight. If we can, we'll win."

She settled back down onto the bench, her leg casually sprawling atop Lyra'an's pale thigh. "No winning means no more wine, hot baths, or acolytes," she said through a warm grin.


Female Fetchling Knifemaster 1 | HP 10/10 | AC 16 (14), T 14 (12), FF 12(10) | CMD 14 | Fort +1 Ref +4, Will +0 | Init +10 | Perc +4 | SA +1d8

"And that would be the last thing any of us would want." Lyra'an says with a smile as she considers the information about the plans of the houses. As she does, her hand idly begins to massage Brevka's leg.

Knowledge (Local) The Cyclic Sublime: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Knowledge (Local) House Sardavic: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Knowledge (Local) House Misraria: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14


Female Tiefling (Kiton Born) Skald 1 Init +2 Hp 10/10 AC 17 T 14 FF 15 Fort +4 Ref +2 Will +1 Spd 30 DR 2/Silver Perc +3 Pic

As often as I can, even if you wisely suggested that I keep it to a minimum, as I have pain to share in the arena. But I don't only indulge in pain. I crave giving it too, Mordak.


Female Half-Orc Primal Spelleater 1 | HP 14/14(16) | AC 15 (13), T 11 (9), FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort +7(9), Ref +3, Will +4(6) | Init +1 | Perc +0 | SM +0 | Performance Combat +5 | Rage Rounds 7/7

Brevka gives Lyra'an an amused glance out of the corner of her eye, but doesn't comment on the massage.


Lilamma

Mordak arches an eyebrow. ”Oh?”

”Do tell.” He pushes the door to his cell open and invites you inside.
——————————
Brevka & Lyra’an

Nathrae pulls herself up from the water and sits on the edge of the steaming pool. ”I thought so.”

”Now, are you ready to visit the Frigidarium, or would you like to… soak… some more?” The draw acolyte leans back on her elbows with a slight smile.


Female Half-Orc Primal Spelleater 1 | HP 14/14(16) | AC 15 (13), T 11 (9), FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort +7(9), Ref +3, Will +4(6) | Init +1 | Perc +0 | SM +0 | Performance Combat +5 | Rage Rounds 7/7

"Tomorrow comes just as fast in the hot springs or the cold. Time for the plunge."


Gah! Autocorrect stabbed me in the back!

Brevka & Lyra'an

Nathrae stands up and moves to towel herself off, gathering up her discarded robes and holy symbol.

The Frigidarium has a blue glow to it that seems to draw heat from the gladiators' bodies. Otherwise, it looks similar to the other two baths.

Nathrae strides into the water first, hissing as the chill hits her. Her eyes are wide.


Female Fetchling Knifemaster 1 | HP 10/10 | AC 16 (14), T 14 (12), FF 12(10) | CMD 14 | Fort +1 Ref +4, Will +0 | Init +10 | Perc +4 | SA +1d8

Lyra'an lets out a bit of a giggle as Nathrae reacts to the cold of the Frigidarium. "If your body's reaction is any indication, it must be quite the shock, guess it's my turn to find out."

With a grin the raven-haired gladiatrix makes her way to the pool, her walk mesmerizingly fluid, drawing the eyes of both women as she enters the pool, giving an involuntary shudder from the cold, complete with an enjoyable ripple of flesh. "Oooohh this IS cold!@"


Doesn't Lyra'an have cold resistance?

Brevka & Lyra'an

Nathrae makes her way to a stone bench in the pool and sits down before dunking herself in completely. She comes up after a couple of seconds, cold water clinging to her and matting her silver hair against her neck and shoulders.


Anyway, I'll continue with Brevka's & Lyra'an's escapades in spoilers. Same for Lilamma's, if she'd like to continue. Otherwise, I'd like to move things along.
------------------------
Fireday, 6th of Sarenith, 4705 AR

When morning (or a reasonable approximation of it) comes, the gladiators are fed and equipped before being assembled in the Exhibition Grounds once more. The large arena’s grounds have been filled with several devices and obstacle courses, ranging from a circle drawn in the dirt with chalk to several dummies equipped with practice weapons and even a smaller wooden arena. A guttural snarling is coming from the wooden arena.

Aside from the newest crop of gladiators, there are three other teams assembled in the arena today—one team composed entirely of ratfolk, another made up of four drow (three male and one female in chains) and a single purple-scaled kobold, and the last team: a band of four half-orc men who answer to an especially massive orc with an axe the size of a man.

The grizzled form of Doctore Corazen begins to pace up and down the line of gladiators before stopping in front of the new blood. ”As of today, you are no longer the worthless scum that House Volatexia, in their endless charity, allowed to train in their arena, under my watch. You are gladiators—your worth has been proven in blood.”

”But do not think to rest upon your laurels.” He continues, his eyes narrowing as he starts to address the rest of the assembled stable. ”Whether you are freshly blooded—“ He looks at Lyra’an in particular. ”—or a proven champion—“ His eyes snap back to the team of orcish warriors, staring at the axe-wielder specifically. ”—your training is of paramount importance. In three weeks’ time, the Week of Carnage will begin.”

”For those of you who don’t know, the Week of Carnage is a week-long tournament held to glorify the Shining Scourge. Five days of combat against beasts, challengers, and champions—and the winners receive gold and glory.” He pauses. ”Sometimes, the winning team is approached by one of Zirnakaynin’s oldest Houses and offered a contract. A chance to rise to greater heights of prestige.”

”But that day is a long way off yet.” He points two fingers at Anabel & Lyra’an. ”You two—report to the missile range.” He points at the southern wall of the arena, where a rack of bows and arrows await. He then points at Lilamma and Kamala. ”You two will spar in that circle.” He points to the northern wall, where a chalk circle has been drawn in the dirt. Finally, he points at Brevka & Kaxatja. ”You—you will come with me to the beast pit.”

He turns and begins to walk to the improvised wooden arena.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Half-Orc Primal Spelleater 1 | HP 14/14(16) | AC 15 (13), T 11 (9), FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort +7(9), Ref +3, Will +4(6) | Init +1 | Perc +0 | SM +0 | Performance Combat +5 | Rage Rounds 7/7

Oh weird! I definitely didn't get notifications for the last few posts :-/

She looked at the other orc-bloods with a challenging glint in her eyes, trying to suss out if they were from any tribes she knew.

"Doctore? Should we come armed?"

The Cold Plunge:
Brevka didn't lower herself in gingerly, instead, she leapt, drawing her legs up beneath her to plunge entirely into the water. She stood, shaking the water from herself with a fierce grin. "Ahh! Wonderful!"

She dunked back below, swimming in powerful strokes over towards Lyra'an and hoisting her out of the water in a damsel carry. "Water like this isn't for soaking. It's for thriving!"


Female Neutral Drider HP 11/11 | AC: 14/T 12/ FF 13 | Fort: +3; Ref: +1; Will: +5 | Init: +2 | Per +6 ; SM: +2 | Spd 40 ft. , Climb 20 ft.| CMB: +2 CMD 13 (+25 vs. trip) | Darkvision 60ft | Performance Combat +6

[We've been "fed and equipped", so I'm going with armed and armored...]

Kaxatja looks the other teams over with estimation, then shrugs and skitters off after Brevka and Corazen. Having found no time to mention to Lilamma the "Razor Princess" Kamala mentioned, the drider hopes to question the kytonic tiefling before too long.

The adherent of the Razor Princess faces off with a razor princess...


Anabel looks over the new gladiators, swallowing a bit nervously when she sees the massive orc. She definitely doesn't want to face off against him in the arena.

The petite elf does as she is asked, walking over to the missile range and selecting a bow and a quiver, ready to train.


Female Tiefling (Kiton Born) Skald 1 Init +2 Hp 10/10 AC 17 T 14 FF 15 Fort +4 Ref +2 Will +1 Spd 30 DR 2/Silver Perc +3 Pic

Lilamma follows the orders, hoping for more pain to receive and to dish

Do we have opponents or shall we fight each other?


Female Half-Orc Primal Spelleater 1 | HP 14/14(16) | AC 15 (13), T 11 (9), FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort +7(9), Ref +3, Will +4(6) | Init +1 | Perc +0 | SM +0 | Performance Combat +5 | Rage Rounds 7/7

Ah, but equipped for what? ;-)


Female Fetchling Knifemaster 1 | HP 10/10 | AC 16 (14), T 14 (12), FF 12(10) | CMD 14 | Fort +1 Ref +4, Will +0 | Init +10 | Perc +4 | SA +1d8

The Cold Plunge:
Lyra'an let's out a surprised squeal as Brevka scoops her up off of her feet, the explosion of icy cold water almost as much a delight as the mighty gladiatrix's powerful body holding her against herself. " Oh hells yes!" she says with genuine glee looking to see Nathrae's reaction.

Eyes widening at the contingent of orcs, Lyra'an looks over the other assembled warriors, nodding at the command and heading over with Anabel to the missile range. While the bow was far from her personal weapon of choice, she could use one well enough. The fetchling gives the dark skinned elf a shrug and a smile. " This looks to be in your favor"


Anabel smiles back at Lyra'an. "A wager, perhaps, to keep things lively? The person who scores the lowest points pays a forfeit to the winner."

The mongoose perched on the elf's shoulder chitters at the fetchling.


Female Fetchling Knifemaster 1 | HP 10/10 | AC 16 (14), T 14 (12), FF 12(10) | CMD 14 | Fort +1 Ref +4, Will +0 | Init +10 | Perc +4 | SA +1d8

"Sure, why not?" Lyra'an replies with a grin. "I seem to be making a habit of bets anyway"


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Whoo! Back in for now!

The Cold Plunge:
Nathrae watches as Brevka scoops Lyra'an out of the water for a moment. She then dunks herself in the water before springing out--and jumping on the half-orc's muscular back with a small grin.

She doesn't weigh much.

Brevka & Kaxatja

"You'll get your weapons shortly." The doctore replies.

He leads the two of you to the smaller wooden arena--it's really more of an impromptu cage, to be honest--and points to its occupants.

The source of the snarling becomes evident. Standing in the arena, tied to a wooden stake in the wall, is a withered corpse of a drow female clad in the decaying clerical vestments of Nurgal's faithful. Her milky white eyes blaze with hateful red light.

"A pathetic creature, is it not?" Corazen sneers at the thing that was once a drow. "This one's faith in the Shining Scourge failed before she met her end, and now she has been reduced to this."

"You two will work as a team to slay it. Succeed, and there will be another challenge." Corazen turns to the two of you. "Are you ready?"
----------------
Anabel & Lyra'an

Manning the ranged weapon rack is a tall female drow clad in decidedly more modest armour than any of the gladiators here. Her silvery hair is tied up in a military bun that contrasts with the devil-may-care smile on her face. She twirls a pair of hand crossbows as you approach, spinning them around with such finesse that it's obvious she's done so thousands of times before.

"You two, eh? Right--grab your bows and line up." She twirls one hand crossbow before pointing it at the rack. "Once you've equipped yourselves, take aim at the targets. Best of five shots wins the first round."

Lyra'an:
The trainer looks virtually identical to Nathrae. Were it not for the different hairstyle and attitude, she'd be her spitting image.

----------------
Lilamma

Lilamma wrote:
"Do we have opponents or shall we fight each other?"

"You'll be sparring with each other." Corazen says before leaving with the half-orc and drider.

Standing off to the side of the chalk circle is a male drow with an immaculately-kept ponytail. He's dressed in leather leggings and a manica with a couple of daggers at his side.

Kamala follows you over to the chalk circle and its nearby weapon rack, picking out a shield and a blunted spear. "The rules are the same as always, I trust?"

"Indeed. Practice weapons only, no killing. First to fall or be forced from the circle loses." The trainer points at the weapon rack. "Arm yourselves and prepare to fight."


Anabel choose one of the longbows on the rack, testing the pull on its string. Once satisfied, she lines up on the mark and fires five arrows in succession at the targets.

Shot 1: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Shot 2: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Shot 3: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
Shot 4: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Shot 5: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

151 to 200 of 440 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Zirnakaynin: Blood and Darkness: The Gladiatrix Saga Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.