GD8|Vamp's 7–22: Bid for Alabastrine

Game Master Vampaerus

The entire Drumish city of Alabastrine is up for auction for Golarion's elitist elites. Including an Aspis agent of great interest. Society agents are sent to thwart her plans. Let the bidding war begin!

Maps


1 to 50 of 507 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Venture-Captain Brackett sits at a narrow table in the grand
entryway at the Pathfinder Society’s lodge in Almas...

Dark Archive

Human Investigator 5 (HP 38/38 | AC 21, Tch 12, FF 18 | CMD 18 | Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +5; +2 vs illusions | Init +2 | Perc +15 | Inspiration 5/5 | Current Buffs: Heightened Awareness )

A tall, world-weary looking man in a leather duster with a worn, wide-brimmed hat, enters the room where the Venture-Captain sits, and gives him a nod.

"Got your note." He says, his voice gravely. "Was on my way back from Korvosa, so easy enough to divert to here."

He glances around the office, then shrugs off the dusty pack on his back, and places it against the wall near the door.

"Heard tell of library you've managed to assemble here." He adds. "Don't suppose we'll get a chance to peruse it?"

The Exchange

Male N Dwarf - usually talking business or about the past | Heaven Spirit Shaman (Speaker for the Past) 4 | HP 44/44 | AC 20 T 10 FF 20 | CMB 1, CMD 11 (15 vs. Bull Rush or Trip) | F: +6, R: +2, W: +11 | Init: +0 | Perc: +13, SM: +6, Dipl.: +15 | Stardust 1/1 | Reroll 1/1 | Chaldira trait reroll 1/1 | Darkvision | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: None.

Toral is a young Dwarf from a Kelish merchant family. He always felt the pull of the heavens and stars.

Toral embraces the lessons of the past as the heavens have watched over this world since the beginning of time.

He is a stoic negotiator but has an empathic approach. He is very perceptive and understands people's motives which is very important as a merchant.

He typically walks around in his full plate and during battle tries not to attack but use spells and hexes instead.

Toral's family has deep roots in the Exchange faction of the Pathfinder Society.

Thus, the Kargar brothers Almaas, Jangafzaar, Toral and Sadaf are all members of the Pathfinder Society.

The Exchange

Male N Dwarf - usually talking business or about the past | Heaven Spirit Shaman (Speaker for the Past) 4 | HP 44/44 | AC 20 T 10 FF 20 | CMB 1, CMD 11 (15 vs. Bull Rush or Trip) | F: +6, R: +2, W: +11 | Init: +0 | Perc: +13, SM: +6, Dipl.: +15 | Stardust 1/1 | Reroll 1/1 | Chaldira trait reroll 1/1 | Darkvision | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: None.

Toral raises an eyebrow.

”Again ... again one of these missions awaits me! The Exchange sometimes forgets that I have a business to run! A business! The only reason for dragging my body to these Pathfinder events is the good pay ... and obviously the contacts and relationships ... ha ha ha!" he suddenly starts laughing.

"Well, I should complain less and work harder to get back to my enterprise ASAP! So to answer your question captain... my name is Toral of the Kargar merchant family!"

Dark Archive

Tengu Shadow Caller Spiritualist 1 Sensei Monk 2 S. Slayer Inquisitor 2| HP31/31 | AC21 T21 FF11| CMD 21 | Fort 9 Ref 7 Will 15 | Speed 30ft | Initiative +11|Advice Remaining 8 Rounds

A Tengu with brown feathers and a curved beak sits in one of the chairs present. A weaponized fan floating from his face appears to be held only by the shadow of this Tengu, and it creates a gentle breeze that cools the robed bird man.

"Mr. Graves, I head an unfortunate incident befell a gnome you adventured with. Is this true? I will have to pay my respects some time."

Dark Archive

Human Investigator 5 (HP 38/38 | AC 21, Tch 12, FF 18 | CMD 18 | Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +5; +2 vs illusions | Init +2 | Perc +15 | Inspiration 5/5 | Current Buffs: Heightened Awareness )

"Just Graves is fine." The man responds, to Kaepora's comment.

"Yes, we lost one of ours on my last mission... just outside a dusty little city called Qaharid, in Qadira." He frowns slightly, at the recollection. "When a giant lizard swallows a small gnome, there is a limited window to aid."

"We were not quick enough." He adds. It is hard to tell his thoughts on the matter from his tone.

Dark Archive

Tengu Shadow Caller Spiritualist 1 Sensei Monk 2 S. Slayer Inquisitor 2| HP31/31 | AC21 T21 FF11| CMD 21 | Fort 9 Ref 7 Will 15 | Speed 30ft | Initiative +11|Advice Remaining 8 Rounds

"Fear not, Graves. Pharasma will overlook his final judgement. He will get to play on Cayden's court in no time." The tengu bows its head, and the shadow seems to reflect this sentimentality by tracing the symbol of Pharasma's Spiral.

The Exchange

"Did I hear someone say 'business'?"

The Exchange

Female NG Elf Spellslinger 2 | HP 10/10 | AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB-1 CMD 12 | F-1 R+3 W+3 | Init+5 | Low-light Vision; Perc+2 SM+0 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st-burning hands, ear-piercing scream, ray of enfeeblement, shield | Active conditions: shield (2m)

A young girl, if human no more than twelve or thirteen years, sits in the corner seemingly avoiding interaction. Her long, chestnut hair frames a youthful, round face that is constantly projecting a determined expression.

She only half pays attention to the chatter and introductions around her while she fidgets with her pistol, polishing and cleaning it. She sometimes glares at its details as she navigates them with her scrap of cleaning rag.

You notice that she suddenly perks up, with a hint of worry, at Graves' mention of a lost agent on his last mission. She interjects, meekly and possibly not heard or acknowledged by the larger group.

Is... is that common? That somebody not make it back from a mission? I've not been on very many yet... Even as she seeks an answer she actively avoids eye contact with those who might provide it.

it would be very natural for some of your characters to wonder why there is a kid in the room right now :D

Dark Archive

Human Investigator 5 (HP 38/38 | AC 21, Tch 12, FF 18 | CMD 18 | Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +5; +2 vs illusions | Init +2 | Perc +15 | Inspiration 5/5 | Current Buffs: Heightened Awareness )

Graves turns at the young girl's quiet comment, and eyes her thoughtfully for a moment.

"I can only assume they try not to send us too far in over our heads... wouldn't make sense to do otherwise." He says, his voice a raspy growl. "But you can't know everything... so sometimes you can end up there anyway. It happens."

"I used to work in the Gray District of Korvosa." He adds, one hand going to the handle of a well-used shovel at his side. "Have put many a body in the ground there... sending them on their way to the Boneyard. What sent them to me covering the entire gamut... looked at the wrong person, mixed up with the right one... bad shiver, good shiver... lover's spats, blood feuds, the cruel hand of fate, or the cold will of the gods."

He shrugs slightly. "Lots of ways to die out there, girl. Worrying about it won't keep the thread from getting cut when the time comes. So best to try to make what you do in this world mean something, 'cause you can't hide from the Lady of Graves."

He pauses, continuing to eye Ela, then glances over at Venture-Captain Brackett. "Ain't this one a bit young?"

Liberty's Edge

"Mysteries are all around my friend. There is much that you do not...yet...know. Miss Kukai was selected for the team by Aaqir."

Dark Archive

Tengu Shadow Caller Spiritualist 1 Sensei Monk 2 S. Slayer Inquisitor 2| HP31/31 | AC21 T21 FF11| CMD 21 | Fort 9 Ref 7 Will 15 | Speed 30ft | Initiative +11|Advice Remaining 8 Rounds
Ela Kukai wrote:
it would be very natural for some of your characters to wonder why there is a kid in the room right now :D

While Kaepora looks calmly down at the child, you notice shadow looks taken aback and seems to be somewhat confused.

"My... You are quite a young one to be a Pathfinder. This is a bit unexpected." The shadow swoops forward, clearly curious. "Now now, lets not terrify her." Kaepora interjects, and then the shadow returns to its place at Kaepora's back.

The Exchange

M Wayang AC20/FF13/T15 Perception +11 HP 44/44 Hunter 5 Boris AC 27/T16/FF21 HP25/25

A flapping sound could be heard as a human sized bird flew over the building with a small sized creature riding on it, landing outside in the courtyard. The figure, wearing dark woodland clothes, clambered out of his saddle and started to scratch under the roc's beak. Taking a few moments to work out the kinks of sitting for a few hours, he lead the Roc to a stable. "Please don't bite the groom like you did the last time. If you have to feed Boris, I would suggest that you use a pail and long pole if you wish to keep all of your fingers." Shi said to the groom as they approached.

Making his way to the main building, the Wayang approached the Pathfinders, bowing to the assembled. "Greetings Venture-Captain Brackett, I am Shi no Kage, the Exchange sends its regards." he said, before greeting the others.

The Exchange

Female NG Elf Spellslinger 2 | HP 10/10 | AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB-1 CMD 12 | F-1 R+3 W+3 | Init+5 | Low-light Vision; Perc+2 SM+0 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st-burning hands, ear-piercing scream, ray of enfeeblement, shield | Active conditions: shield (2m)

Ela gets an indignant look as they all reason about her presence.

I'm not terrified! I've been on a mission, I just haven't seen an ally die. I have had to kill things before...

She nods at Graves' explanation, reality sinking in a bit deeper.

I suppose you're right. Such possibilities are inevitable. It's still just a bit new to me... not being a student full-time anymore.

The Exchange

Male N Dwarf - usually talking business or about the past | Heaven Spirit Shaman (Speaker for the Past) 4 | HP 44/44 | AC 20 T 10 FF 20 | CMB 1, CMD 11 (15 vs. Bull Rush or Trip) | F: +6, R: +2, W: +11 | Init: +0 | Perc: +13, SM: +6, Dipl.: +15 | Stardust 1/1 | Reroll 1/1 | Chaldira trait reroll 1/1 | Darkvision | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: None.
VC Aaqir al'Hakam wrote:
"Did I hear someone say 'business'?"

Toral's eyes open wide and he smiles.

"It a pleasure to meet you again dear Aaqir! Ahhh, seeing you here means that this mission will have some opportunities for profit! I am relieved!" Toral says.

Liberty's Edge

Brackett grabs a clipboard off his desk. He scans the room, then glances back at the clipboard.

"I was expecting a couple more agents. Perhaps they are waiting for the appointed time?"

The Exchange

Male CG Half-Orc Mesmerist 2 | HP: 15/15 | AC: 15 (12 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +0, CMD: 12 (10 Fl) | F: +3, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +3, SM +2 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: none

"I'm here; I'm here" a Shoanti says as he enters the room. "I think the homonculus took me to the wrong room at the start?"

Though dressed in the primitive skins and feathers of most Shoanti, Jon Rooi's manner and speech is consistent with any Absalonain. "I'm Jon Rooi, sorry I'm late, I guess, but it's really not on me."

Liberty's Edge

"Haha, no worries. You're not late, just less early than the others.

That leaves one more...a 'Katswiri'. Anyone seen her wandering the halls?"

Scarab Sages

female | human | oracle 5 | HP 33/33 | AC 21, FF 18, T 13 | CMB +4, CMD 12 | Init -4 | Perception +10, -4 Opposed, Auto Fail Hearing | F +3, R +8, W +11 | Focused Trance 1/3 | Natural Divination 2/2 | Spells: 7/7 1st, 5/5 2nd|

A deeply tanned Garundi woman dressed in traveler's garb and a breastplate wanders in just as her name is mentioned. She takes off her hat and places in her backpack before waving to the assembled group with a warm smile on her face. "Hello everyone! I think I just saw my name mentioned. Apologies, I got distracted admiring the architecture on my way in here. Cathedrals are always excellent specimens of design and construction, even when they're originally built with a more austere aesthetic in mind."

She pushes her silver framed glasses up the bridge of her nose and smoothes her ponytail back before continuing. "I'm Katswiri, and I'm looking forward to working with all of you. The gods took my hearing when they gave me my second sight, and while my glasses can see the words people speak, I do apologize in advance if I might need to ask for some of you to repeat things at times."

The Exchange

Female NG Elf Spellslinger 2 | HP 10/10 | AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB-1 CMD 12 | F-1 R+3 W+3 | Init+5 | Low-light Vision; Perc+2 SM+0 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st-burning hands, ear-piercing scream, ray of enfeeblement, shield | Active conditions: shield (2m)

Ela listens to the Garundi woman explain her condition with rapt interest, looking up and leaving her pistol cleaning alone for several moments.

She returns to it, concluding to herself, hmm, at least the noise from my pistol shouldn't bother her.

Grand Lodge

Please be aware the launch of GamedayVIII is being postponed by 2 weeks. Head on over to Discussion.


Alabastrine Maps

just gonna restart this from the beginning...

Venture-Captain Brackett sits at a narrow table in the grand
entryway at the Pathfinder Society’s lodge in Almas. This
resplendent marble chamber, once the vestibule of a cathedral
of Aroden, is now a well-stocked library. Carvings on the walls
depict Pathfinder agents exploring forgotten ruins and facing
fearsome beasts. Trade Prince Aaqir al’Hakam, seated opposite
the venture-captain, reviews a stack of papers.

The Exchange

“Welcome, Pathfinders. Take a seat.” He turns toward several vacant chairs.

“You will be departing for Druma tomorrow morning. I’ve arranged for all of your travel expenses. The journey will take you from Almas up through the foothills of southeastern Isger, and then from the settlement of Dustspawn into the borders of Druma.”

He glances at the stack of papers in his hands. “These documents will handle any issues with your lodgings or questions from local government officials.”

Liberty's Edge

“Yes, the trade prince has seen to your travel, and for that the Society is appreciative. Your mission involves entering the nation of Druma, specifically its capital city of Kerse. There, you’ll meet up with an acquaintance of the Society who has offered to assist us in executing this unique mission. As you may be aware, terrorists from the Aspis Consortium attacked the Society’s annual Convocation. An anonymous but reliable informant within the Consortium that we’ve taken to calling Three Rings has pointed us in the direction of the financier for this dastardly attack—a Consortium silver agent named Myrosype.”

“The city of Alabastrine is the epitome of Drumish wealth. It was built to accommodate an influx of refugees that never came to Druma in the wake of Aroden’s death. The resident Kalistocrats maintain the city in perfect condition, even its empty properties. Even Alabastrine’s method of selecting leaders revolves around wealth. Every five years, Druma sets up an auction for control of each of the city’s five districts. The latest cycle of bidding is about to commence, and Myrosype has positioned herself to claim a majority of Alabastrine’s districts. She may very well have the resources to claim the entire city for herself.”

The Exchange

“We want you to attend the auction, which has been arranged by the best contact we could find for the job. Some of you may know him. His name is Temel Passad, and he can provide you with more information when you arrive in Kerse. Once there, do your best to convince the participants in the auction to overtake Myrosype’s bids. Your actions in this event may not be a direct recompense for her participation in the attack against the Society, but trust me when I say that striking her in the wallet will be a precise and worthwhile blow.”


Alabastrine Maps

GM.K(Noble/Relig):

Kae: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Kat: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20
MrG: 1d20 + 1d6 + 12 ⇒ (20) + (5) + 12 = 37(* Insp)

Kaepora, Katswiri, Graves::

The presiding state philosophy of Druma is the Prophecies of Kalistrade. This philosophy promotes the acquisition of material wealth and the avoidance of physical contact. Its adherents, called Kalistocrats, wear white clothing, with a strong affinity for long gloves to prevent physical contact with others.

The actual government of Druma is an organization known as the Resplendent Bureaucracy. This group handles the day-to-day Administration of the nation. Druma’s military force is called the Mercenary League. Its members are known as ‘Blackjackets’ in honor of the black uniforms they wear.

Graves:

The capital of Druma is the city of Kerse, perhaps the most opulent city in the Inner Sea. Secret stations of spellcasters provide constant magical scrying across the breadth of the city. Individual estates maintain their own hired spellcasters for similar purposes. The widespread presence of magical wards, along with the rapid response times from Mercenary League forces, ensures that there is almost no crime within the borders of Kerse.

When High Prophet Kelldor purchased the abandoned city of Alabastrine, he crafted an entirely new district in the otherwise unfinished center of the city. This district is known as Prophet’s Burg, and ever since the bidding process for Alabastrine started, this area has been considered the most prized territory. Those seeking political affluence in Druma would do well to purchase this significant district.


Alabastrine Maps

GM.SnsMot:

Ela: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (12) + 0 = 12
Jon: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (8) + 0 = 8
Kae: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
Kat: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
MrG: 1d20 + 1d6 + 15 ⇒ (6) + (4) + 15 = 25(* Insp)
Shi: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20

Kaepora, Graves, Shi no Kage:
You notice a faint hesitation when Aaqir mentions 'Temel Passad'. There may be some history between the two men, and you sense it may not be pleasant.

The Exchange

anyone may ask questions of either VC at this time.

After the briefing and Q&A, Aaqir asks some of you to meet with him in a private room upstairs:

Ela, Jon, Shi no kage:
Trade Prince Aaqir al’Hakam speaks in hushed tones, “Some of you may already be familiar with Temel Passad. He was once interested in becoming an associate of our organization. However, when we formed an agreement with a diplomat from the Five Kings Mountains, Passad was unable to put his own personal dislike of the emissary aside for the sake of business. He has borne a grudge against the Exchange ever since. Now, he obstructs our attempts to develop connections within Druma. His decision to invite a junior agent to the auction instead of inviting me personally is but the latest in a string of slights."

“While I cannot attend the festivities myself, I trust that you can pursue our mutual interests in my place. While you are certainly welcome to express your displeasure to Passad, I have no interest in engaging the merchant in a war of petty vengeance. The auction provides you with a rare opportunity to speak to members of Druman society with higher social station than Passad himself. If you convince one of these people to work with the Exchange, you will set the groundwork for brushing aside Passad’s further attempts to stand in our way. Passad may not believe that you are capable of making such inroads, but I do. Since your own personal clout is not yet significant, I expect that you will need to prove yourself first by making a positive impression. Do not rush to create a trade deal before you know what your potential partner seeks. Finally, remember, a honeyed tongue is like gold: it can reliably earn you favor, but it is rarely the most valuable commodity. The surest route to success is to engage with a person’s interests and desires.”

“One very important reminder, do not spend so much effort seeking a new ally that you neglect your mission to hamper Myrosype’s rise. If Myrosype becomes a rising star in Druman politics, her interference promises to outweigh any benefit we could gain from a new alliance.”

you may ask additional Q's of Aaqir. If you wish to do so at this private location, please use spoiler tags.

The Exchange

Male CG Half-Orc Mesmerist 2 | HP: 15/15 | AC: 15 (12 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +0, CMD: 12 (10 Fl) | F: +3, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +3, SM +2 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: none

Jon scratches his chin briefly, trying to understand the scope of their task. "So we're not to bid for control of the city ourselves, just ensure that another bidder wins enough districts so that this Myrosype doesn't gain control?"

Dark Archive

Tengu Shadow Caller Spiritualist 1 Sensei Monk 2 S. Slayer Inquisitor 2| HP31/31 | AC21 T21 FF11| CMD 21 | Fort 9 Ref 7 Will 15 | Speed 30ft | Initiative +11|Advice Remaining 8 Rounds

"Do we know much about the other attendants of the auction?"

Scarab Sages

female | human | oracle 5 | HP 33/33 | AC 21, FF 18, T 13 | CMB +4, CMD 12 | Init -4 | Perception +10, -4 Opposed, Auto Fail Hearing | F +3, R +8, W +11 | Focused Trance 1/3 | Natural Divination 2/2 | Spells: 7/7 1st, 5/5 2nd|

Katswiri lights up at the mention of Temel Passad. "It will be good to see Temel again. Hopefully, this will be somewhat less exciting than the last time we met, though with the Aspis Consortium in attendance that may be wishful thinking."

Her forehead crinkles in concentration as she takes on a pensive frown as she ponders the task ahead.
"Hm. It makes some sense that we would not bid on the behalf of the Society or ourselves if we do not have a case to earn a return on the investment. Surely, it must be expensive to purchase control of a city, and it would be much more cost effective to convince a third party to pay than to do it ourselves. How much do we know about the districts? Do we know what the five districts are? How much was paid for their control during the last cycle? And is there possibly a business case to be made for the society to bid for control of any of them?"

Liberty's Edge

Jon Rooi wrote:
Jon scratches his chin briefly, trying to understand the scope of their task. "So we're not to bid for control of the city ourselves, just ensure that another bidder wins enough districts so that this Myrosype doesn't gain control?"

Dear Aroden, no! Please don't make any bids in the Society's name. I honestly have no idea what an entire city goes for at auction, but I have no doubt we'd be hard pressed to cover that check. Even if we could afford it, tying up so much resources just to thwart one Aspis would leave us strapped to deal with every other front."

"Also, remember the Drumans take these things VERY seriously. Be careful what you agree to. While they tend to favor clearly written contracts whenever feasible, and oral agreement can still be held binding."

Dark Archive

Human Investigator 5 (HP 38/38 | AC 21, Tch 12, FF 18 | CMD 18 | Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +5; +2 vs illusions | Init +2 | Perc +15 | Inspiration 5/5 | Current Buffs: Heightened Awareness )

GM, you seem to have Graves' sense motive wrong... you had a +15 (should only be +8). His perception is the +15 one =)

Graves frowns, as he ponders the task at hand. "If the Aspis are set to gain control of most of the city... it makes sense that the they'd focus on the Prophet's Burg district, in the center of the city. It is the most prestigious, and those who control it have the most political influence in Druma as a whole."

He scratches his weathered chin. "Though how hard could this hit their pockets, beyond future earnings. They will still have the coins they came with."

"Well, unless they lost those too, I suppose." He adds.

"Is there some benefit to owning control of a majority of the districts? Should we be trying to ensure they don't have a majority, just certain districts, or that they be completely skunked?"

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kaepora The Shadowcaller wrote:
"Do we know much about the other attendants of the auction?"

"I can tell you I recognize the names. The list of who's who in city-sized purchasing is not long. However, I don't know much of their personal lives. That is why Temel's involvement is undeniably fortuitous. He can give you better insights on the other attendees when you meet with him."

"An interesting note, Temel is himself a registered bidder. Last I knew of his enterprises, this strikes me as a lofty pursuit for someone of his standing. But I must admit, he has...surprised...me before."

"One thing I do know for certain, each bidder must have some interest in one or more districts or they would not be willing to accept the costs associated with being a bidder. Again, Temel is best suited to explain the mechanisms at least. I expect he'll be less forthcoming on the motivation. But that is exactly what you'll need to focus on. Discover each bidders' motives and which district suits those ambitions best. You can use that to convince them they need it more than Myrosype does."

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Katswiri wrote:
"...How much do we know about the districts? Do we know what the five districts are? How much was paid for their control during the last cycle? And is there possibly a business case to be made for the society to bid for control of any of them?"

"Bidding is done in secret, so exact amounts are not known. I believe one of the bidders, Namazamo, won a majority in the previous auction five years ago. She would know, but I stress that it is considered very rude to speak of exact figures of anything other than a contract which you are a party in."

"I can give you the basics on each district. Bear in mind, the reality is that most are largely, if not completely, vacant. But the intentions were as follows:

1) Courts of Abstinence. This area is a housing project of massive scale. The Drumans expected a flood of people seeking a new way of life after Aroden's death proved the frailty of divine beings. Expecting these religious 'refugees' to be rather poor, the apartment complexes here are tightly packed efficiencies to keep rent low.

2) Luminous Wharf. Situated on the Profits Flow river Alabastrine was, and for many still is, expected to be a major trade hub with Isger, if the nation can ever escape its past.

3) Prophets Burg. The initial intention is unknown as this was left incomplete when the refugees did not arrive as expected. Later a man named High Profit Kelldor personally funded the redesign that it is today, an unashamed homage to himself. But the city council presides from 'Kelldor's Spire', the defacto city hall of Alabastrine.

4) Scriptorum. This district is an entire series of libraries. Each dedicated to an existing religion. Within each can be found histories of the given religion, but most importantly, secular treatises that peel back the hypocrisies inherent in divine worship. At the center of the Scriptorum district is the Scriptorum library itself, which provides every known text on the Prophecies of Kalistrade for those seeking a new path after learning of their religions' falsehoods.

5) Working End. Much as the name implies, this is for the 'everything else' that makes a municipal city function.

Liberty's Edge

Mr. Graves wrote:

GM, you seem to have Graves' sense motive wrong...

...
"Is there some benefit to owning control of a majority of the districts? Should we be trying to ensure they don't have a majority, just certain districts, or that they be completely skunked?"

fixed. thx

"We don't know what Myrosype's grand plan is. It just seems safe to assume it's bad for us. I have no doubt she'll grab the whole city if it can be had 'cheap enough'. whatever that is. That would allow her, and by-extension the Consortium, to do as they please in near total secrecy. But most importantly, is even just a majority. The city's council runs on One District equals One Vote. So even with just 3 districts she could strongarm the council on any matter. While there would theoretically be 'witnesses' vis-a-vis the 2 other districts, the Consortium is not known to worry much about that. So this is unacceptable."

"You are correct that letting her win 1 or 2 districts would in many ways be the 'ideal' situation. Tying up both her financial resources and her time having to play politics in a council she can't just hand-wave. However, I will caution you against playing that game. Like most Aspis, Myrosype is a slippery snake with many tricks up her sleeves. I wouldn't put it past her to 'play dead' and then pull a rabbit out of her hat last minute. I advise that you leave no stone unturned and not take any chances. If you accidently 'skunk' her that's far less problematic than if you accidentally underestimate her."

Scarab Sages

female | human | oracle 5 | HP 33/33 | AC 21, FF 18, T 13 | CMB +4, CMD 12 | Init -4 | Perception +10, -4 Opposed, Auto Fail Hearing | F +3, R +8, W +11 | Focused Trance 1/3 | Natural Divination 2/2 | Spells: 7/7 1st, 5/5 2nd|

"Oo. The Scriptorum sounds delightful. I will need to make sure to visit, after our duties are complete if we don't have a chance during the negotiations."

"It sounds like we'll have at least a short journey to reach our destination. How long might we expect to be on the road, and will we need to rough it or will there be inns and other civilized accommodations along our route?"

Liberty's Edge

Katswiri wrote:
"It sounds like we'll have at least a short journey to reach our destination. How long might we expect to be on the road, and will we need to rough it or will there be inns and other civilized accommodations along our route?"

"You'll be crossing some fairly undeveloped territory. Roads are a rare commodity, but the Andoshen, Cornerica, and Profit's Flow Rivers connect most of the dots. I believe you have one overnight stay in Dustpawn, but otherwise whatever caravan or boat you're on will provide shelter. Aaqir has kindly made all the arrangements for you. It should be a fairly relaxing trip, albeit slow. It's not everyday I get to assign agents to a vacation in the wealthiest nation in the known world! The auction is in Kerse and begins in ten days. You'll actually need to leave early tomorrow morn if you want time enough to meet up with Temel first."

The Exchange

"Ahem? Druma is not necessarily 'the wealthiest nation in the known world'. Qadira is no slouch. It is difficult to tally the coppers when BOTH nations are built upon mountains of gold."

Liberty's Edge

Trade Prince Aaqir al'Hakam wrote:
"Ahem? Druma is not necessarily 'the wealthiest nation in the known world'. Qadira is no slouch. It is difficult to tally the coppers when BOTH nations are built upon mountains of gold."

Yes, of course. '...one of the wealthiest nations...' etcetera."

The Exchange

Female NG Elf Spellslinger 2 | HP 10/10 | AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB-1 CMD 12 | F-1 R+3 W+3 | Init+5 | Low-light Vision; Perc+2 SM+0 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st-burning hands, ear-piercing scream, ray of enfeeblement, shield | Active conditions: shield (2m)

For most of the discussion, Ela started by staying silent in the back but then attempting to speak up, unsuccessfully, several times.

Finally, she squeaks out a concern at the end of the conversation.

So, even those people who we'll be convincing to oppose Myrosype are likely of the same mindset and prone to looking down on others. Pardon me, but why would they be convinced to listen to the likes of us? Won't we stick out like sore thumbs there?

She focuses on her polished pistol a moment, and thinks some more.

I guess this is where Mr. Passad can help us, but it seems he would need to outfit us so that we seem to belong among their ilk, no? And we have to behave a certain way so we don't give ourselves away? We really have our work cut out for us.

The Exchange

M Wayang AC20/FF13/T15 Perception +11 HP 44/44 Hunter 5 Boris AC 27/T16/FF21 HP25/25

"It sounds like we will need to figure out those that are good at gathering intelligence about the auction and good at schmoozing with people to gather what we can before it starts." Shi said, keeping in mind what Aaqir al'Hakam had said.

The Exchange

Male CG Half-Orc Mesmerist 2 | HP: 15/15 | AC: 15 (12 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +0, CMD: 12 (10 Fl) | F: +3, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +3, SM +2 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: none

Jon bursts into laughter when Ela points out their need to mix in with wealthy donors. "And I stand here in feathers and rags. I can handle myself with anyone, but I hope this Temel has plans for new clothing! Or should I go shopping here before we head out?"

The Exchange

Male CG Half-Orc Mesmerist 2 | HP: 15/15 | AC: 15 (12 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +0, CMD: 12 (10 Fl) | F: +3, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +3, SM +2 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: none
Venture-Captain Brackett wrote:
Mr. Graves wrote:

GM, you seem to have Graves' sense motive wrong...

...
fixed. thx

It appears that Jon's modifiers under the "Campaign Info" spoilers are still from before his level 2 rebuild.

The Exchange

I know the Bid for Alabastrine has some unique rules, but events I have attended half as prestigious drew quite a crowd of spectators. Many will be merchants of varying social status but all walks of life will be present. You needn't worry about blending or mingling with the crowd. Do be polite when approaching the actual bidders, but I feel any Exchange member need not be reminded of that.

The Exchange

Female NG Elf Spellslinger 2 | HP 10/10 | AC 17* T 13 FF 14* | CMB-1 CMD 12 | F-1 R+3 W+3 | Init+5 | Low-light Vision; Perc+2 SM+0 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st-burning hands, ear-piercing scream, ray of enfeeblement, shield | Active conditions: shield (2m)

Aaqir’s explanation puts Ela a bit at ease.

Okay! We won’t let you down.

Dark Archive

Tengu Shadow Caller Spiritualist 1 Sensei Monk 2 S. Slayer Inquisitor 2| HP31/31 | AC21 T21 FF11| CMD 21 | Fort 9 Ref 7 Will 15 | Speed 30ft | Initiative +11|Advice Remaining 8 Rounds

"I suppose what little else we can do now is get started." Kaepora says, satisfied with the info they have learned.

Liberty's Edge

I can think of nothing else to add unless there are further questions. You'll leave from the docks in the morn. If you think of any supplies you need, here in Almas we have vendors of every description. There won't be much else in that regard until you arrive in Kerse.

Scarab Sages

female | human | oracle 5 | HP 33/33 | AC 21, FF 18, T 13 | CMB +4, CMD 12 | Init -4 | Perception +10, -4 Opposed, Auto Fail Hearing | F +3, R +8, W +11 | Focused Trance 1/3 | Natural Divination 2/2 | Spells: 7/7 1st, 5/5 2nd|

Katswiri nods along in agreement. "This seems like it has the potential to be a rather pleasant mission. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you better during our journey to the auction." She turns, smiling and nodding at Shi no Kage. "Shi no Kage, was it? You're correct that we'll want to take the opportunity to share our own strengths and weaknesses, and talk about how we might want to work together to make sure Myrosype doesn't succeed. Some of us are likely stronger in certain areas than others, and I'm sure we all have our own tricks up our sleeve, so to speak."

"But first, before we break to do any last minute shopping, allow me to deploy one of those tricks of my own. I will just need a minute, and I will check the future to see if we will encounter any difficulties on our way that we might wish to specially prepare for."

Katswiri gets a glassy eyed look as she summons visions of the first week of the trip, examining the near future for dangers that might befall the group during their travels.

Katswiri will activate her Gift of Prophecy, with the Question: Will we encounter any significant dangers on the first leg of our trip?

Gift of Prophecy:
Gift of Prophecy (Su): Once per day, you can enter a trance to gain a glimpse of the future. This trance lasts for 1 minute, which must be uninterrupted and during which you can take no other actions. At 3rd level, you gain the benefits of an augury spell with 90% effectiveness. At 5th level, you gain the benefits of a divination spell with 90% effectiveness. At 9th level, the knowledge you gain is equivalent to a commune spell. None of these spell effects require material components. You must take this revelation at 3rd level.

Divination:
Similar to augury but more powerful, a divination spell can provide you with a useful piece of advice in reply to a question concerning a specific goal, event, or activity that is to occur within 1 week. The advice granted by the spell can be as simple as a short phrase, or it might take the form of a cryptic rhyme or omen. If your party doesn’t act on the information, the conditions may change so that the information is no longer useful. The base chance for a correct divination is 70% + 1% per caster level, to a maximum of 90%. If the die roll fails, you know the spell failed, unless specific magic yielding false information is at work.

As with augury, multiple divinations about the same topic by the same caster use the same dice result as the first divination spell and yield the same answer each time.


Alabastrine Maps

90 or less = success:
Divination90%: 1d100 ⇒ 26

Katswiri:
The answer to your inquiry comes in the form of a vision, vivid but silent, as you are all too accustomed. You see the jagged peak of a mighty mountain. It is shrouded in thick mist that flickers with the orange energy of a...rising?...sun. Through the mist you spot a simple wooden caravan coach making its way up a winding pass. The coach lurches forward slowly, tho you can sense neither horse nor driver. A wheel on the carriage breaks, and it lists precariously towards the open air side of the trail. Just then a cloaked humanoid figure rushes forward, not to aid, but rather delivering a powerful blow ensuring the caravan's topple into the void...

1 to 50 of 507 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GD8|Vamp's 7–22: Bid for Alabastrine All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.