Strength and Fear: An Ustalavic Kingmaker Campaign

Game Master vayelan

Kingdom Building Rules
Rulership Tracker
Map: Canterwall and Neighbors

Map: The Town of Ravengro
Map: Harrowstone Grounds

Current Encounter: Catacombs, Oldest Level


2,301 to 2,350 of 2,364 << first < prev | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Thanks to the party's efforts at tending and welcoming the orc refugees, Leta finds fertile ground for sowing the seeds of an impromptu information network. Although they remain taciturn, what little they say is direct and truthful.

Leta learns that this group chose the Flood Truce as their time to travel to minimize the chances of being preyed upon by other tribes and bands in the Belkzen, since the vast majority of them would be considered vulnerable prey back in their wild homeland. They remain proud, but they recognize that there was little future for them in the Belkzen.

One individual in particular who characterizes the sort of motivations that have driven the orc group, Leta meets a matronly orc woman with thickly knotted arms. She acknowledges that nature favors the strong, and this is not exclusive to the Belkzen, but she is sick of burying children who were not big or strong enough.

Furthermore, Leta also finds a small handful of the refugees have also heard about agents of the Whispering Way entering the Belkzen. This has further encouraged their flight, since they rightfully fear that the death worshipers would see them only as fodder.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/2/3 HP 47/47 AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +1 | R +8 | W +6 | Init +2 | Per +8

Valeska nods. A valid point... she pauses.

I would hope that our peaceful actions overcome the misconception regarding aggression. Let them, a doting mother must also bare her teeth to protect that which she loves.

Canterwall will be that mother.

As discussions proceed, Valeska asks that the council start to prepare for her absence and the group's mission and sortee into the Belzken.


NG Human Witch (hedge witch) 7 | hp 41/41| Init +2 | Perception +1/+3 | AC 21 (17)/T 14/FF 17(13) | CMD 15 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +7 |

As Valeska makes the mother metaphor, something crystallizes in Nadiya's eyes. It strikes a particularly resonant chord with her. She nods resolutely.

I've got not much else to add at the moment, happy to hang back as others RP or move on when others are ready.


Gargan interrupts the poignant moment by loudly clearing his throat.

"Anyhow, you should count yourself quite fortunate, Countess, because you have a man readily at hand who has repeatedly made the trip to Freedom Town," the guide says, his posture practically bursting at the seams with boastfulness. "Sounds like a good first test of our new professional arrangement, no? My men and I will just need some time to prepare, too. You know, rest, have some food, rest some more, and so forth."


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/2/3 HP 47/47 AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +1 | R +8 | W +6 | Init +2 | Per +8

Valeska graciously chuckles. It's good to know I'm in quite capable hands... She bows around ...gentleman.

But, first... Valorforge. And, as I've said, room, board and provisions are on the county.


NG Female Human Inquisitor (Ravener Hunter) of Sarenrae 7 | 55/55 HP | AC22 T16 FF17 | CMD21 | F +8 R +8 W +8 | Init +7 | Perc +12 | Climb +4, Dance +1, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +7, Geography +8, Heal +15, Intimidate +12, Linguistics +3, Nature +9, Planes +11, Religion +11, Ride +11, Sense Motive +15, Survival +6, Swim +4 | Spells: 3rd 1/1 2nd 4/4 1st 5/5 | Bane 7/7 | Judgment 3/3 | Conditions: None
Valeska Talanova wrote:

I would hope that our peaceful actions overcome the misconception regarding aggression. Let them, a doting mother must also bare her teeth to protect that which she loves.

Canterwall will be that mother.

"Well said, Countess," Miruna says with a nod. "The Dawnflower teaches her followers similarly."


NG Human Witch (hedge witch) 7 | hp 41/41| Init +2 | Perception +1/+3 | AC 21 (17)/T 14/FF 17(13) | CMD 15 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +7 |

Nadiya does a final check on all travelers in need before being ready to mount her magical mount and move on. She has trouble separating Mishka from several orc and human children who are being trained expertly in the art of ear-scritching.


M Cavalier Cavalier 7 HP: 37/65| AC:22(25)| T: 12| FF:21(24)| Fort:+9 | Ref: +5 | Will: +10| Init: +4| Perception: +13

Gargan, I'd like to spar with you one of these days. If you'd be willing. We could use that time to talk as well.

Kain would like to Ask Gargan if he knows anything about the warband that destroyed his home town, and who might have lead it and if they were still alive. I don't want to hold up advancing the plot, so we could do it in a spoiler fashion alongside the main plot, since it won't really change anything in the immediate if you would like.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Gargan eagerly accepts Kain's offer. You aren't sure whether he wants to show off, or if he sees this as a networking opportunity of sorts. When the true intent is revealed, though, Gargan is equally eager to collect details from Kain's account to potentially identify the culprits.

"Oh, I really hope it was someone I hate. It would be spectacular to point you in their direction and let you have at them!"

...

Meanwhile, the night before your departure, you are approached by your councilor Lenora.

"Before you leave, we need official approval on resettling the orc immigrants. A few proposals have been made: bequeathing some of the abandoned farmsteads and empty parcels of land located to the west and south beyond Ravengro, leasing out parcels of land on the northern outskirts of town, or allowing them to resettle the parts of Clover's Crossing where the former residents have, sadly, met bad ends."


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/2/3 HP 47/47 AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +1 | R +8 | W +6 | Init +2 | Per +8

Valeska takes Lenora's hands fondly, in greeting. Thank you, Lenora. Besides a little more administrative work, please recruit the help you need...

Is there any reason we could not extend to them the choice? I feel if they have a hand in the decision making, it would install more self confidence and ownership.

They will work to pay the county for any property provided, but assure them this is not indentured servitude of any sort. They are and remain free people.

She considers.

Bashuk, Kain and Miruna... have you need of soldiers, militia or enforcers. Nadiya, healers and midwives? Some among them may have untapped skills.


NG Human Witch (hedge witch) 7 | hp 41/41| Init +2 | Perception +1/+3 | AC 21 (17)/T 14/FF 17(13) | CMD 15 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +7 |

"Not many of them I spoke to volunteered a lot of healing knowledge, but I'd be willing to train anyone willing to learn, human, orc, or otherwise. A town benefits well from having more than one midwife, as very often there is more than one pregnant woman in the region. Also, Perhaps the apothecary could use an apprentice... if she is willing."

She considers. "I've been thinking on the long term the country's magesterial duties might include getting a scribe or two to help start recording histories and relics and things found here, and perhaps I am falling prey to stereotype, but I'd be surprised if any orc were interested. Nonetheless I would certainly be open to anyone."

"Otherwise I agree with your call that they should be willing to settle where they choose, and there's many abandoned farmsteads that would be better filled by those willing to work the land."


"We'll speak with the newcomers while you're on your expedition," Lenora resolves. "We'll see where they would prefer to settle in the county, as well as what talents and inclinations they may have. Based upon the number of women who came with children, there's gotta be at least one midwife among them.

"More importantly, in the short term, just having this official pronouncement that they are under the countess' protection and hospitality should be enough to keep any locals from acting stupidly towards them while you're away."


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/2/3 HP 47/47 AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +1 | R +8 | W +6 | Init +2 | Per +8

Canterwall Decree

Canterwall is a Sanctuary for ALL.

Any and all individuals seeking asylum, coming in peace and willing to abide by Canterwall laws shall have the right to live unmolested and in peace.

They are entitled to and will be offered assistance in their relocation and acclimation, this is to include but not be limited to food, shelter, healing, training, education and worship.

Having an influx of people with various background and lineages can help Canterwall grow, help business grow, help us become stronger.

Any who would harass such individuals seeking asylum or refuse them any publicly available goods or services shall answer to the authority of Canterwall at every level.

All who would like to assist in helping by providing goods or services in need are appreciated and shall be paid a fair compensation. Please see Councilor Lenora.

Countess Valeska Talanova

She stops reading, and looks at the others. How does that sound?


NG Human Witch (hedge witch) 7 | hp 41/41| Init +2 | Perception +1/+3 | AC 21 (17)/T 14/FF 17(13) | CMD 15 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +7 |

Nadiya supports the proclamation.

After talking to Lenora, an idea comes to Nadiya and she uses the opportunity at this discussion to bring it to the Council (i.e., the PCs and NPC advisors).

"Especially with an influx of newcomers--not just the orcs, but others hearing of what we have to offer and our growing holdings--I wonder if we should conduct a census. Something very simple: how many in your residence, who is householder if any, ages, and what are their occupations. We could pay citizens to help conduct it. It would help us see where the populace's skills are, and if many are seeking work. For myself I could also see how many, say, midwives are really needed, specifically, but could also help us identify those available to work on capital improvements or might serve in the militia, and young folk needing apprenticeships---and so on. And speaking as someone who has lived much of her life itinerant, we also need to find a way to assess those who are not settled but consider themselves part of the community."

She sighs. "Innocent surveys like this are always deeply distrusted by commonfolk who are used to government working against them, or at least have reason to suspect it. So we'd need to be clear and honest about our purposes, and no one should be forced to answer. But it could be very helpful. Lenora and Mirta could perhaps assemble the questions and recruit census takers while we are gone."


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/2/3 HP 47/47 AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +1 | R +8 | W +6 | Init +2 | Per +8

Valeska smiles. The idea has merit, I like it.

But, we must be watching lest administration turns bureaucracy. This should work even moreso once the Town Hall is rebuilt.


M Cavalier Cavalier 7 HP: 37/65| AC:22(25)| T: 12| FF:21(24)| Fort:+9 | Ref: +5 | Will: +10| Init: +4| Perception: +13

Kain nods. I hope its someone you have a grudge or similar against as well, it would make things easier. Of course, its been several years, they may have already perished..

as far as who it is etc, that's all up to you. I made it vague enough you could fit it into most things, whether a bigger bad, or merely a pawn of a big bad etc.

----

the only worry I have is, what constitutes fair compensation to one, is not the same to another. It may cause more trouble than it fixes. Kain says, after hearing the decree.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/2/3 HP 47/47 AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +1 | R +8 | W +6 | Init +2 | Per +8

I suppose I mean that merchants will be paid what is fair, perhaps some discount for an increase in volume... negotiable of course.

I wish to allay any fears that business will be asked to provide goods and services for free. Obviously, we will not curtail any charitable sentiment by those offering it.


Female Humanoid (Dhampir) Bard 7 | HP 42/43 | AC: 19/14/15 | Fort: +3, Ref: +9, Will: +6 | BAB: +5, Melee +9, Ranged +9, CMB: +6, CMD: 19, | Init: +3 | Perception: +11

"Countess, I do have one concern, if I may be so bold. With all these people about rambling through the land in large numbers, do you have druids in your land? Or other such stewards of the woods? I have yet to fully explore these lands, but such unique beauty as each woodland in the wide world provides, once destroyed, cannot be replaced."


NG Female Human Inquisitor (Ravener Hunter) of Sarenrae 7 | 55/55 HP | AC22 T16 FF17 | CMD21 | F +8 R +8 W +8 | Init +7 | Perc +12 | Climb +4, Dance +1, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +7, Geography +8, Heal +15, Intimidate +12, Linguistics +3, Nature +9, Planes +11, Religion +11, Ride +11, Sense Motive +15, Survival +6, Swim +4 | Spells: 3rd 1/1 2nd 4/4 1st 5/5 | Bane 7/7 | Judgment 3/3 | Conditions: None
Valeska Talanova wrote:
Bashuk, Kain and Miruna... have you need of soldiers, militia or enforcers. Nadiya, healers and midwives? Some among them may have untapped skills.

Miruna frowns, thinking.

"I'm no barrister, Countess, nor am I a constable, but I think we'd do well to avoid anyone who likes to think of themselves as an enforcer, as opposed to a keeper of the peace."


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/2/3 HP 47/47 AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +1 | R +8 | W +6 | Init +2 | Per +8

Valeska actively listens.

To Leta she replies, Faunlara Daedys oversees the Cathedral and things spiritual for the time being. She is a Druid. Have you noticed her young treant friend... remarkable, really, But no, we do not have such a team.

She smiles as she looks at Miruna. I suppose you're right. Vim and vigor got the best of me. Enforcers might be a bit strong. Peacekeepers, certainly. I was think of the enforcement by statute and ordinance, but you have a very good point. Thank you.

No brute squads. She chuckles.


Female Humanoid (Dhampir) Bard 7 | HP 42/43 | AC: 19/14/15 | Fort: +3, Ref: +9, Will: +6 | BAB: +5, Melee +9, Ranged +9, CMB: +6, CMD: 19, | Init: +3 | Perception: +11
Valeska Talanova wrote:

To Leta she replies, Faunlara Daedys oversees the Cathedral and things spiritual for the time being. She is a Druid. Have you noticed her young treant friend... remarkable, really, But no, we do not have such a team.

"Thankyou, I'll speak with her. I'd like to also discuss with Sir Brandt the possibility of devoting a small number of the militia toward protecting the woodlands. Men training in woodcraft or who could acquire such training."


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/2/3 HP 47/47 AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +1 | R +8 | W +6 | Init +2 | Per +8

Valeska nods, pleased. By all means. Please feel free.

I am the Countess by appointment, but truly... I am only first among equals.

All ideas should considered, those accepted by us will face another hurdle. Implementation.

How long they may take to implement with our resource constraints as we grow. Both people resources, minds, bodies... as well as financial resources.


NG Female Human Inquisitor (Ravener Hunter) of Sarenrae 7 | 55/55 HP | AC22 T16 FF17 | CMD21 | F +8 R +8 W +8 | Init +7 | Perc +12 | Climb +4, Dance +1, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +7, Geography +8, Heal +15, Intimidate +12, Linguistics +3, Nature +9, Planes +11, Religion +11, Ride +11, Sense Motive +15, Survival +6, Swim +4 | Spells: 3rd 1/1 2nd 4/4 1st 5/5 | Bane 7/7 | Judgment 3/3 | Conditions: None
Valeska Talanova wrote:
No brute squads. She chuckles.

Miruna smiles at this. "We haven't known each other long, but you didn't seem the type."


1 person marked this as a favorite.

After all the final preparations are made - packing supplies for your expedition, disseminating instructions to your councilors and subordinates - you again set out westward towards your land's border with the Belkzen. You are more heavily provisioned this time, since your destination lies further from Ravengro and Canterwall than any of your prior expeditions.

Gargan and his band, as well as Igaz the goblin, accompany you as guides and extra muscle. For the first leg of the journey, though, this is unnecessary as you cross the leagues of your land that you have already tamed. There is no shortage of citizens - both longtime Canterwall residents, as well as more recent transplants - who come out to excitedly greet the countess' coterie as you pass by their fences and fieldstone walls.

The second day of the journey brings you into the wilder reaches of Canterwall, although you see the foundations being laid for a handful of homesteads that are new sights since the last time you passed this way. You spot some fairly benign critters out in the rolling fields and hills: deer, foxes, wild dogs, raccoons, feral hogs, and many flights of birds. Some occasionally cross your path, but for the most part they keep a distance. Nothing dangerous hatches out from the gorse and shrubs to threaten you.

By the second day's end, you've reached the ruins of the Bleakwall, which divides Ustalav and the Belkzen.

"Dusk comes quickly, no?" Gargan says. "While the night is no trouble for me and my men, I must be considerate of my employers, eh? We should make camp here. Better to pass the night in your own territory, after all."


Female Humanoid (Dhampir) Bard 7 | HP 42/43 | AC: 19/14/15 | Fort: +3, Ref: +9, Will: +6 | BAB: +5, Melee +9, Ranged +9, CMB: +6, CMD: 19, | Init: +3 | Perception: +11

Leta has noted the locations of woods and forests as they traveled. No matter how small. Some day she'd like to explore them all, but right now there was business at hand.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/2/3 HP 47/47 AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +1 | R +8 | W +6 | Init +2 | Per +8

I tend to agree but, will let Kain and Bashuk have the final say... as they may have insight.


CG Kineticist7 l 80hp, Burn 0/8 l F +11, R +10, W +6, Ini +3 l AC19, Touch14, FF16, CMB +6, CMD20 l Perc +11 l Darkvision 60ft l Spd30

Surveying the rolling terrain with puzzled amusement--shouldn't there be, y'know, a wall at the Bleakwall?--Bashuk turns her attention to the other orc.

"Sure, we can camp here. People tell ghost stories about some of the old Bleakwall ruins, but this place doesn't look too dangerous to me."


NG Human Witch (hedge witch) 7 | hp 41/41| Init +2 | Perception +1/+3 | AC 21 (17)/T 14/FF 17(13) | CMD 15 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +7 |

Does Nadiya know any of thse "ghost stories"?

Knowledge History: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (15) + 13 = 28

Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (3) + 17 = 20


Nadiya know much of the sorry history of the Bleakwall.

When the Sunwall fell in 4237, the nations of Lastwall and Ustalav constructed subsequent fortification lines to hold back the orc tribes. Lastwall built Harchist's Blockade, and then the Hordeline, which each of those also falling in time.

Valorforge was once the northernmost anchor of the Sunwall. When that cathedral-like citadel fell, the Ustalavic defenders fell back to where the Bleakwall was constructed as their own land's replacement for the Sunwall. The Bleakwall fell in a cycle of conquest and reclamation repeated many times over the centuries, leaving them in their current state.

The remnants of ages of war and destruction, an uneven wall of stones and fallen fortresses spans the roughly 90-mile border between Ustalav and Belkzen. Formed from the scattered barricades and bulwarks of felled fortresses, the expanse is a wall in name only, generally rising no more than 2 to 4 feet high and sometimes breaking for spans of a quarter-mile or more. While a scattered number of surviving turrets still occasionally serve as watch posts for the county’s militia, only the brooding ruins of Tower Valballus and Castle Andachi bear enough of their original architecture to be identifiable as the citadels they once were. Even these fastnesses are shunned, though, as tales tell of creatures worse than orcs lurking amid the shattered stones.

Nadiya:
Most folks assume that, at any given time, the Tower and the Castle are held by orc tribes or small warbands.

Other rumors claim that at least one of them are held by Dark Folk, although since the party has learned that the Caligni actually claim the lower levels of Valorforge, people might be confusing the two sites.

There are also nebulous rumors about foul cults using the surviving strongholds as lairs, although the folks telling the stories are never very definite on the nature of the cults. Of course, considering that the party has learned about Whispering Way agents operating in the region means there might be some legitimacy to these rumors - even if merely by coincidence.


M Cavalier Cavalier 7 HP: 37/65| AC:22(25)| T: 12| FF:21(24)| Fort:+9 | Ref: +5 | Will: +10| Init: +4| Perception: +13

Night is no problem? What about something standing beyond the range of your night vision?

Kain quips to Gargan, in a more friendly rather than confrontational manner. Kain looks over the place.

I've had my fair share of undead recently, but, at least there are enough of us that we can take two to a watch.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/2/3 HP 47/47 AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +1 | R +8 | W +6 | Init +2 | Per +8

So, it's settled... we make camp.

Sasha more feline than anything else, slinks about the perimeter yet never too far from the Countess. Valeska herself moves about, checking everyone's mood.


NG Human Witch (hedge witch) 7 | hp 41/41| Init +2 | Perception +1/+3 | AC 21 (17)/T 14/FF 17(13) | CMD 15 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +7 |

"Sometimes we name things for what once was," Nadiya says to Bashuk, and relates what she knows of Bleakwall's history. After she finishes telling it, she adds, "I expect the rumors of cults in the region have some grain of truth, given what we learned about the Whispering Way in the catacombs. Even if the rumors were once unfounded, more recent groups might have settled here, figuring most would not seek them out indeed because they were likely to dismiss any news of their presence as more rumor."

She nods at Kain. "We may depend on how strong our watch is. I wish I were a better guard myself but I will help as I can. I can always try to whip up something fortifying... or something that helps keep our watch awake."


Female Humanoid (Dhampir) Bard 7 | HP 42/43 | AC: 19/14/15 | Fort: +3, Ref: +9, Will: +6 | BAB: +5, Melee +9, Ranged +9, CMB: +6, CMD: 19, | Init: +3 | Perception: +11

Leta listens. She embraces the night, the pain in here eyes receding then. To her the night feels like home, a warm blanket for her soul. And she doubts the discernment of any cultists that would attack a group such as this. However, that said, the potential strength of the undead is something she understands all too well. They would be wise to be cautious.

"I'll take second watch," Leta offers.


Everyone on watch duty should make Perception checks.


CG Kineticist7 l 80hp, Burn 0/8 l F +11, R +10, W +6, Ini +3 l AC19, Touch14, FF16, CMB +6, CMD20 l Perc +11 l Darkvision 60ft l Spd30

Watch Shift #3: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15 sigh


NG Human Witch (hedge witch) 7 | hp 41/41| Init +2 | Perception +1/+3 | AC 21 (17)/T 14/FF 17(13) | CMD 15 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +7 |

If I can still get away with this... Looking to make a mildly stimulating beverage a la coffee or energy drink. Something that would lightly improve saving throws to avoid falling asleep or something. If there's a gp cost I can try to make it, she does have her cauldron feature and her crafting kit

As camp is set up, Nadia sets up her cauldron and her.alchemy ingredients (which for Nadiya are more likely to be things like herbal decoctions and tinctures over reagents) and attempts to make a beverage that will help the watch stay awake.

Craft Alchemy: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (18) + 17 = 35


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/2/3 HP 47/47 AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +1 | R +8 | W +6 | Init +2 | Per +8

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Perception, Sasha, darkvision: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20


M Cavalier Cavalier 7 HP: 37/65| AC:22(25)| T: 12| FF:21(24)| Fort:+9 | Ref: +5 | Will: +10| Init: +4| Perception: +13

Kain perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30

Valere perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20

He would prefer last shift.


Female Humanoid (Dhampir) Bard 7 | HP 42/43 | AC: 19/14/15 | Fort: +3, Ref: +9, Will: +6 | BAB: +5, Melee +9, Ranged +9, CMB: +6, CMD: 19, | Init: +3 | Perception: +11

Leta perception (darkvision, low light vision):
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12

pooed the bed on that roll.


Nadiya again demonstrates brilliance with her cauldron, producing a curious drink that not only invigorates the expedition members on watch duty, but also manages to taste quite palatable.

On the final watch rotation, a few hours before dawn, Kain and Valere spot some odd movement around the Tower Valballus in its place among the Bleakwall ruins. The distance makes it hard to gauge their size, but the general definitely sees a pair of winged creatures lurking around the tower's peak. It's equally difficult to discern whether they are watching or have even noticed the party's campsite.

One of them spreads its wings and takes flight, moving northward - towards the mountains and away from the party. As it flies, Kain notices that the creature looks very draconic in nature.


NG Female Human Inquisitor (Ravener Hunter) of Sarenrae 7 | 55/55 HP | AC22 T16 FF17 | CMD21 | F +8 R +8 W +8 | Init +7 | Perc +12 | Climb +4, Dance +1, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +7, Geography +8, Heal +15, Intimidate +12, Linguistics +3, Nature +9, Planes +11, Religion +11, Ride +11, Sense Motive +15, Survival +6, Swim +4 | Spells: 3rd 1/1 2nd 4/4 1st 5/5 | Bane 7/7 | Judgment 3/3 | Conditions: None

Miruna stirs in her bedroll, placing a hand on her blade's scabbard as she sits up.

"Bad dreams," she says, making a face. "Anything of note to report?"


CG Kineticist7 l 80hp, Burn 0/8 l F +11, R +10, W +6, Ini +3 l AC19, Touch14, FF16, CMB +6, CMD20 l Perc +11 l Darkvision 60ft l Spd30

"Nothing on my shift," Bashuk stretches as her back lets out a series of pops.


NG Human Witch (hedge witch) 7 | hp 41/41| Init +2 | Perception +1/+3 | AC 21 (17)/T 14/FF 17(13) | CMD 15 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +7 |

Presuming Kain describes what he saw, Nadiya asks, "Draconic? How big?"

Mishka stops "helping" Nadiya make breakfast, and goes an helps the rest of the party wake up by inviting them to scritch her, which should obviously be the most invigorating thing one should do (she does not bother anyone who does not want to be bothered, however).


You carefully discuss the details of the sightings from the last watch rotation whilst making your morning preparations. Your first conclusion is that if these were dragons, they must be rather young - well below the adult phase - based upon rough size comparisons with the top of the tower, better seen in the dawning daylight, as well as the fact that there were two of them dwelling in the tower. As dragons age, they become far less likely to cohabitate with their clutch-mates or other kin.

Your second conclusion is one of uncertainty. The wan light of predawn meant that Kain did not get a good sense of their coloration, so it remains unknown whether they might be chromatic or metallic dragons.


NG Human Witch (hedge witch) 7 | hp 41/41| Init +2 | Perception +1/+3 | AC 21 (17)/T 14/FF 17(13) | CMD 15 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +7 |

Dawn is good critter hunting time. Nadiya asks her cat, "I don't suppose you saw them, or were you too busy stalking that vole?"


CG Kineticist7 l 80hp, Burn 0/8 l F +11, R +10, W +6, Ini +3 l AC19, Touch14, FF16, CMB +6, CMD20 l Perc +11 l Darkvision 60ft l Spd30

"So--we going to check it out, or is it a problem for another time? Not like Ardax Whitehair is expecting us, but getting sidetracked so soon after setting out seems a little silly."


NG Human Witch (hedge witch) 7 | hp 41/41| Init +2 | Perception +1/+3 | AC 21 (17)/T 14/FF 17(13) | CMD 15 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +7 |

"I think we should head to our intended destination, but if these creatures go out hunting, we need to be prepared to defend ourselves."


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/2/3 HP 47/47 AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +1 | R +8 | W +6 | Init +2 | Per +8

And should we investigate, we will be encroaching upon their nest.
We will get to the bottom of that mystery, soon enough.


Female Humanoid (Dhampir) Bard 7 | HP 42/43 | AC: 19/14/15 | Fort: +3, Ref: +9, Will: +6 | BAB: +5, Melee +9, Ranged +9, CMB: +6, CMD: 19, | Init: +3 | Perception: +11

Leta blinked. She'd once seen a green dragon in the forest eat an entire goat in one swallow. Ghouls is one thing; something like that? That was truly the raw power of nature.


Dawn finally breaks, bringing no dragon attacks swooping down from the tower. Your coterie, including your orc guides, readies up and marches and rides forward.

Once you cross the border into the Belkzen, Valorforge provides a safe haven after the first day of travel beyond Ustalav. Beyond that, though, you have 70 miles of unfamiliar territory between you and Freedom Town, where you can purchase tokens that will grant you safe passage into Urgir.

The badlands of the Belkzen seem less inhospitable with the first thaw up north bringing water and nutrients to the land. Of course, the land seems much more empty and abandoned with all the tribes converging on Urgir and the Flood Road.

Nevertheless, there may be other dangers to watch out for.

Please make Survival or Knowledge (Geography) checks to make your way safely to Freedom Town. You can get +4 for assistance from Gargan and his band.

2,301 to 2,350 of 2,364 << first < prev | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Strength and Fear: An Ustalavic Kingmaker Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.