Gods of Earth and Sea

Game Master Nikolaus de'Shade


151 to 200 of 213 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

Cyanea draws on the dampness of the underground cavern and the sweat from her own brow, multiplying and shaping it; Ambrus' call for help is punctuated by a loud whoosh as a stream of water rushes past him to barrage the "pot".

Water blast with Elemental Overflow: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 8 + 2 = 133d6 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (6, 1, 3) + 6 + 2 = 18


Cyanea's water jet smashes a number of pots, just unfortunately not the one she was aiming for...

Ambrus meanwhile lands a solid blow with his club and has the presence of mind to wrench it clear again before the creature's adhesive skin can stick it fast. He doesn't know exactly what the creature is, obviously some sort of shapechanging ambush predator but nothing more specific than the obvious.

The creature continues to tighten its grip, intent on crushing the tasty prey it holds. Ambrus is able to continue fighting, just!

Ambrus Ref: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Grapple to Pin: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21 Missed by 1!
Constrict: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

14 more damage to Ambrus, good guys up!


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 43/75 hp (5 nonlethal) | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

CMB to break grapple: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20

After his club nearly sticks to the creature and the monster tries to pin him, Ambrus realizes that staying in its grasp puts him in a bad position. He musters his strength to break free of the grapple. If able to get free, he quickly moves back 15 feet away.

HP: 35/75


Clearly a god is smiling on Ambrus as he manages, barely, to pull himself from the creature's grasp and retreat across the now thoroughly wrecked shop.


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

Thankfully Ambrus was free - now to make sure that thing didn't have a chance to recover its grip. "Iroas, go!" she calls out, loosing another burst of water as her companion bolts forward to bite at the monster. But the force of her torrent threatens to overpower her ability to hold it on course, and Iroas ducks an errant splash and misses his attack entirely.

Water blast with Elemental Overflow: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 8 + 2 = 153d6 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (5, 4, 4) + 6 + 2 = 21
Iroas bite: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 61d6 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


The creature is apparently not very discerning and lashes out at the large, black and white furred meal that has politely wandered into range.

Slap!: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23 Damage+Constrict: 2d8 + 12 ⇒ (4, 1) + 12 = 17

Iroas roars in anger and pain as the creature latches on and begins to crush him.

Good guys up! CMD is 20 if Iroas tries to escape.

It amuses me that this CR4 monster is doing considerably better than the CR7 monster you fought last time!


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 43/75 hp (5 nonlethal) | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

Longbow: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 7 + 1 = 20 (w/ point black shot)
Damage: 1d8 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 3 + 1 = 12

Ambrus draws his longbow and fires a shot at the aberration. Move action to draw longbow, standard action to shoot.

Now that he isn't restrained, Ambrus quickly glances around the room to see what the father and son are doing. Are they still in the room? Did they flee?


The room is completely empty apart from the mimic, its as though the father and son simply vanished...

Ambrus' arrow strikes true with a dull thud.

Mimic -26 hp.


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

As Iroas bellows and struggles against his new-found bonds, his eyes become hard as the stones surrounding the cavern, and foam begins to form at his mouth from the exertion. Activating rage. I can use regular or unchained, whichever you prefer - in his case it's mostly the same. Cyanea, seeing her companion struggling, draws on her own reserves of energy, digging deep and pouring every bit of power she can muster into her next burst of energy.

Iroas activates rage, then tries to break the grapple. I can use regular or unchained rage, whichever you prefer - in Iroas' case it doesn't make much difference since he isn't using any Dex-based attacks. Cyanea takes one point of burn to empower her next kinetic blast, which puts her at +2/+4 Elemental Overflow (I realized I had it incorrect before, but I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn even with the accidental extra point of help).

Iroas - breaking grapple with rage: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 6 + 2 = 18
Cyanea - empowered water blast with Elemental Overflow: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 8 + 2 = 243d6 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (1, 3, 6) + 6 + 2 = 18 +50%=27 damage.


Iroas thrashes ineffectively but the danger to her companion has a salutatory effect on Cyanea's aim and she blasts the mimic into the far wall with a sickeningly wet smack.

The thing stops moving and after a minute or so the adhesive dissolves, allowing Iroas to pull himself away.

As silence falls in the store it becomes clear once again just how quiet the place is. The man and his son have vanished into thin air, as though they were never there and the only clue you have to go on is what the man said - to look for the Necropolis.

Perception, DC20:
After some searching amongst the smashed pottery you find a small box with an owl on the lid. Inside is a silver ring which detects as magical.

SPELLCRAFT DC16

Spoiler:
A ring of Mind Shielding.

@Cyanea: any preference on the rage front? I'm not bothered. Also you did get a holy symbol as well. In silver. :)


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 43/75 hp (5 nonlethal) | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

"Well, I'm certainly not trusting anything I encounter down here after that. Even if it bears a symbol of Athena, we best be wary. The man mentioned the Necropolis. But can we trust that he's not just leading us into another trap? It's not like we have any better lead though. He said it was south of here. I'm not great at telling directions underground but I'll take a guess."

Survival to determine South: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

"I suppose before we leave we should see if there is anything of use in this shop. Perhaps the visit won't be a complete waste. Be careful. There could be more of those disguised creatures for all we know." Ambrus takes a few minutes to search the area.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26

When he finds the ring, he presents it to Cyanea. "This looks fancy. The box it was in bore an owl on the lid. Can you tell if it is magical?"

Ambrus also goes outside to the front of the shop and attempts to remove the bull's head above the store front. If he is able to, he'll check if there is anything inside, and also if it's possible to wear... I know, strange, but possibly a useful disguise? Shrug.

Finally Ambrus finds a non-smashed stool or chair in the shop and sits down on it. He breaks out his healer's kit and starts bandaging his wounds. "I hope you don't mind if I take some time to tend to my injuries. We aren't facing any time restraints down here."

Heal (Treat Deadly Wounds): 1d20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 1 + 2 = 22

Takes 1 hour. Ambrus heals 5 hp. Better than nothing.

"Perhaps we should also consider staying the night here before moving to our next destination. I'm still injured and so is Iroas. Who knows when the next time we'll be able to rest with a roof over our heads and walls to hide behind. Resting in the Necropolis does not sound at all appealing."


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

"Here, let me," Cyanea answers as Ambrus pulls out his healer's kit. "My father's gift does let me soothe wounds. It's different from herbal remedies or truly magical healing, more tiring, but I can take the brunt of it, or you can if you choose." I have Kinetic Healer as a talent - one of us will take a point of burn, but I can heal for 3d6 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (6, 4, 5) + 6 + 2 = 23 damage. After Ambrus is seen to, she tends to Iroas' wounds as well, visibly sagging slightly as she draws water over his wounds to close them. Healing Iroas for 3d6 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (4, 2, 1) + 6 + 2 = 15 damage.

"I wouldn't say no to staying here for the night...as you say, sleeping in a place called the Necropolis doesn't sound like the best idea." Pulling a bedroll from her bag, she sets it against the wall and sits, using the wall as a backrest as she examines the ring. "Sometimes I do wish I was learned in proper magic, so I could examine this sort of thing...I have a feeling I've been scammed more than once because I couldn't confirm a piece's magic on my own. I suppose there'd be only one way to figure it out, and that'd be to put it on."


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 43/75 hp (5 nonlethal) | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

"I don't mind being the guinea pig." Ambrus puts on the ring. The ring probably doesn't provide any indication of what it does by wearing it, but a magic ring would resize to fit my finger, so I could tell if it is magical that way. Ambrus shrugs. "Well it didn't kill me. Any interest in wearing it?"

"While this house is probably safer than a necropolis, I don't think anywhere is safe in this labyrinth. And where did the father and son go? They could very well return. The boy felt solid but if they are some sort of evil spirit, they could be difficult to guard against. And I doubt they'll be happy about us squatting in their home. Screw them though. I'd gladly give them some payback if they show their cowardly faces again. However, we should focus on what we can defend ourselves from. I suggest we spend the rest of the day boarding up the windows and doors to keep any wandering monsters out. It looks like there is enough wood in here to accomplish the task. And we should sleep in shifts. Someone should always be on watch down here."

What's the surrounding area like? Is it like a village with other shops and houses around us? Do they all look abandoned?


The ring does resize to fit Ambrus's hand and he has the brief sensation of shutters slamming down around his... mind? It doesn't hurt him at least.

Some cursory examination of the surrounding area reveals that, apart from the smithy next door, all the buildings are sealed tightly. The street returns to the town agora in one direction and seems to stretch on as far as the eye can see in the other. The word 'Labyrinth' suddenly takes on a new, and far more sinister meaning. A return to the city square seems inevitable.

-------------------------
Next Day.

Cyanea Will: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

Over night Ambrus sleeps soundly but Cyanea is haunted by dreams of running in terror down dark passages, while thundering footfalls pursue her.

Damage: 1d10 ⇒ 8 and you are fatigued for 1d4 ⇒ 4 hours.

With no other options you return to the town square and choose a new path, hoping that it will lead to the Necropolis.

There's a flat 20% chance of getting this sort of decision right. Each person wearing a HS of Athena bumps this 10% and invoking either Athena or Theseus bumps it another 10%.

Direction: 1d100 ⇒ 99

After some contemplation, and feeling the hand of a god on their backs, the heroes turn left and after a seemingly short walk find themselves facing a great dark wall, with a wrought iron gate twice the size of a man.

From the gatehouse above comes a cry.

"Halt? What is your purpose in the City of the Dead?"


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 43/75 hp (5 nonlethal) | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

When Cyanea wakes up.

"You don't look so good. Bad dreams? You were tossing and turning all night."

When we arrive at the gatehouse.

Ambrus looks at the guard with distrust.

"Hail, goodsir! I am Ambrus and this is Cyanea. We are holy warriors here in the name of Athena." Ambrus presents his holy symbol. "We seek the spear of Theseus which we believe is currently being wielded by the minotaur who lords over this labyrinth. We have no specific business with the necropolis other than to pass through towards our destination."


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

The circles under Cyanea's eyes are deep, and she rises to her feet with far less than her usual vigor, letting out a soft moan as she comes to her feet. "Yeah," she answers briefly, almost curtly. "Lost in a dark maze, pursued by unknown horrors - oh, wait, that's real life. The only difference in the dream was I knew where the monster was coming from." Carefully, she flexes her arms and winces, drawing her sweat in complex patterns around her skin. Taking one point of burn to heal 3d6 + 1 ⇒ (4, 3, 5) + 1 = 13 damage. "I've slept on floors plenty before, and I've had plenty of bad dreams...but nothing like this. Come on - the sooner we go, the sooner we can get out of this place."

----------

Still dragging from her restless night, Cyanea is in ill humor as the guard blocks her way. She elects to let Ambrus lead the conversation - her words would have been far less kind. My purpose is to get in, get the Spear, and get the f%!* out. Move out of my way or I swear to all the gods I will move you.


"You lie!" The voice calls from above, sounding both surprised and shocked. "Lord Theseus rules from his palace in the city! We are his sworn men, the Golden Spears, ordered to protect this approach from the monsters that despoil our home. Stand back from the gates!"

A minute or so later there is a sound of bolts being shot and a small sallyport opens to a wall of spears. Six figures emerge, old old armour and high plumed helms of the sort Ambrus recognises from some of the ancient history plays. Beneath their helmets there are no eyes or faces - these ancient suits seem animated by will power, or something darker.

"Now what is this you say of a minotaur?" One figure, with an especially large plume asks.


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 43/75 hp (5 nonlethal) | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

Ambrus crosses his arms and looks sternly. "I see the City of the Dead is literally populated with the dead. So what are you? Some form of ghost? Or perhaps just a mindless construct not worth me wasting my breathe on? From your comments, I can tell you are just as lost in time as the last creature we encountered; your information is extremely out of date. Theseus has been dead for quite some time. Although if there is some form of undead version of him ruling down here, I'd be interested in an audience. As for the minotaur, you know...cow head, human body, 'moo moo'. This particular one has been haunting our dreams. But I don't suppose you have those, not being alive and all."


The soldiers growl and the commander levels his pike at Abrus.

"If you will not speak to the Golden Spears with a civil tongue then by the Gods sir I will teach you a lesson in manners! Apologise, or draw your weapon and defend yourself!"

Sense Motive, DC10:
It doesn't take much to realise that these beings certainly do not see each other as dead. They seem utterly immersed in their own perception of reality - which is several thousand years out of date. Coaxing them to recognise reality might help... or it might destroy them... Either way, the best way to get them on side is probably to play along.


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

"Ambrus, wait...just wait a second." Flexing every bit of patience she possesses after her sleepless night, Cyanea steps forward. "I apologize for my companion - we have had a trying journey. We came because we heard rumor that there had been monsters seen here, as you said, including the minotaur my friend speaks of. We wished to help to defend against them in any way we could. What do we need to do to seek an audience with King Theseus, that we may enter his service?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 43/75 hp (5 nonlethal) | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

Ambrus almost draws his weapon but Cyanea's words hold his action.

Ambrus grumbles, "I apologize. It has been a long journey. Cyanea speaks truth. I have no desire to butt heads with the guards of this city."


The 'soldiers' nod in recognition of Cyanea's fair words and their spears rise almost as one.

"Well spoken." The Captain says, approval clear in his tone. "One of the Gods in high Olympus must surely have lent happy inspiration to your words. Come, we will take you to the city road, that you might continue on and speak with the King."

The soldiers surround you both and after ushering you through the gateway, form up and begin marching into the vast graveyard that looms before you. Huge mausoleums the size of houses stand either side of the roadway, which is broad, unnaturally flat and completely deserted.

Roll perception checks as you march. 3 each please :)


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

Perception #1: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18
Perception #2: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25
Perception #3: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31

Thankful that diplomacy worked where aggression had not, Cyanea falls into line behind the soldiers, her head swiveling around rapidly to take in the sights of the necropolis - or the city, according to her hosts. This should be interesting.


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 43/75 hp (5 nonlethal) | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16
Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20
Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

Ambrus follows but doesn't trust the soldiers for one second.

"I expected many things on this quest, but time travel was not one of them. Still, a chance at meeting an ancient hero-god could be a unique boon."


As they march in the middle of the soldier formation the landscape begins to blur around them. Either they are travelling remarkably fast, so fast that the terrain blurs around them, or something else about the labyrinth is going on.

Cyrene hears it first, a beautiful melody which wafts along with the wind and weaves its way into her ears.

Cyrene, DC16 will save. If you fail you veer off from the group, attempting to chase down the song.


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

Will save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

"Ambrus...do you hear that?" But she doesn't wait to hear the answer. The melody was too compelling...she had to know what kind of incredible creature could be responsible for such a song.


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 43/75 hp (5 nonlethal) | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

Ambrus takes note of the blurring landscape and assumes more magical misdirection, but me is no mage and the exact nature is yet to be revealed.

Ambrus hears Cyanea and sees her wandering off. "I don't. Where are you going. This is not a place to get lost." Ambrus quickly puts in his earplugs (+2 on saves that require hearing) and chases after Cyanea.

He also calls back to the guards, "Soldiers, my partner, Cyanea, may be bewitched. Do not try to stop me going after he. I do not yet trust you, but any assistance will be accepted. I know not what we are up against."


Ambrus Will: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 3 + 2 = 10

Ambrus gets his earplugs in but, as he follows Cyanea, can't help but catch the melody that Cyanea is pursuing. Its beauty sneaks into his mind and without conscious thought his feet hurry until he is practically racing Cyanea towards the trees and the song. Behind the soldiers pull up and look amongst themselves, seemingly confused.

Through the trees is another tomb, large and overgrown with ivy. Sitting on top of it is a large hawk, with the head of a beautiful woman, singing a plaintive song that tugs at the heart strings.

From the trees around comes another voice.

"Look sister, two morsels."

"Mortals you mean." The first one replies, as the second one takes up the song. "Do you think these are the ones? They don't look like mighty heroes to me. Perhaps we should eat them now?"

"Do we have to?" A third voice comes from behind. "They look so pretty... and its been such a long time since we had any fun!"

Ambrus Will: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 3 + 2 = 20
Cyanea Will: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

As the creatures bicker back and forth Ambrus gradually finds his mind clearing as his earplugs blunt the effects of the song. Cyanea seems completely fascinated however, even as one of the creatures flutters down to drag a talon carressingly across her face.


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

Cyanea stares into the face of the songstress, her hand rising to meet the caress with one of her own. I could listen to this forever...


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 43/75 hp (5 nonlethal) | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

"Get away from her you filthy crow!" Ambrus shouts and brings his halberd down on the creature (harpy?) scratching Cyanea. (since that one should be close enough to melee).

+1 Halberd w/Power Attack: 1d20 + 12 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 12 - 2 = 29 I wish I had improved critical
Damage: 1d10 + 9 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 9 + 6 = 23

I'm assuming Initiative after that. Also, I think this is the first time fighting multiple foes, so my flaw comes into play. -2 AC until a drop an opponent. So AC 18 instead of 20 for now.

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14


Ambrus slams his halberd into the creature and it jerks away, trying desprately to take to the air with one of its wings near severed. It fails and crashes into the ground as it's sisters squawk unmusically and leap into the attack!

A Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
C Init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Sirens: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15

The two sirens swoop down on Ambrus from both sides, their claws raking at his eyes! Between them, their sharp claws tear bloody furrows across his face!

Claw, Flanking: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 11 + 2 = 25 Damage: 3d6 ⇒ (2, 4, 4) = 10
Claw, Flanking: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 11 + 2 = 22 Damage: 3d6 ⇒ (1, 2, 4) = 7

The badly wounded one hops along the ground and shouts. "Sleep, damn you!" Ambrus is in mortal peril however and easily throws off the spell!

AmbrusWill: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 3 + 2 = 23

Ambrus up. Cyanea, you remain entranced this round, but will regain control next turn.

HP:
Ambrus -17
S1 -23
S2 - full
S3 - full


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

Wait...what? What's happening?


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 43/75 hp (5 nonlethal) | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

"Snap out of it, Cyanea. We're surrounded!"

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13 Can I tell if Cyanea is still entranced by looking?

Ambrus five-foot steps diagonally towards one siren and away from the other to escape their flanking and attacks the one adjacent to him.

From (S)(A)(S) to (A)
_________________(S)___(S)

+1 Halberd w/Power Attack: 1d20 + 12 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 12 - 2 = 25
Damage: 1d10 + 9 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 9 + 6 = 23

Also, I was looking at my character sheet and I noticed that I have a +1 bonus on Will saves vs. mind-affecting effects, which I'm guessing the song and sleep might be. Not that I failed. Just a note, for future saves.

HP 46/75


Cyanea hasn't moved so its a good bet Ambrus...

Ambrus steps back and hacks into another siren with his halberd, cutting a swathe through feathers and flesh. The siren squawks piercingly and lashes out at Ambrus again as her sister circles to strike his unprotected back! The third siren is still making its painfully slow get away with its crippled wing tucked to its breast.

AOO vs. S3 for Ambrus

S2 Claw, Flanking: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 11 + 2 = 27 Damage: 3d6 ⇒ (1, 5, 6) = 12
S2 Claw, Flanking: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 11 + 2 = 24 Damage: 3d6 ⇒ (1, 4, 6) = 11

S3 Claw, Flanking: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 11 + 2 = 15 Damage: 3d6 ⇒ (3, 3, 6) = 12

HP:
Ambrus -40
S1 -23
S2 -23
S3 - full

Both of you go!


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

I don't...wait! It's the monsters! Berating herself for neglecting her earplugs and falling victim to the siren song, Cyanea bolts to her feet, attempting to step backward and get a clear shot at one of Ambrus' assailants. Iroas, with Cyanea out of the sirens' thrall, moves to face Ambrus with one of the sirens in between them, biting hard and attempting to pull the beast to the ground.

Move action to get up (if I'm sitting), five-foot step to somewhere that I'm not in melee range of any sirens, water blast at the target I have the clearest shot at. Iroas will move to flank one of the sirens with Ambrus.

Water blast attack, damage: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 263d6 + 6 ⇒ (3, 3, 6) + 6 = 18

Acrobatics if needed to avoid AoO: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
Bite attack, damage: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 201d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Free trip attempt if attack hits: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 43/75 hp (5 nonlethal) | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

AoO vs. S3: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16
Damage: 1d10 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17

Ambrus attacks the enemy flanked with Iroas then 5-ft. steps towards the badger out of flanking from the sirens.

+1 Halberd w/Power Attack and Flanking: 1d20 + 12 - 2 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 12 - 2 + 2 = 30
Damage: 1d10 + 9 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 9 + 6 = 20

"Glad to see you back to your senses. These avian creatures are tearing me to shreds."

23/75 hp


From:
(I) (S) (A) (S)

To:
__(A)
(I) (S)___(S)


Ambrus and Iroas tear one siren to bloody shreds while Cyanea blasts the other into the sky on a great burst of water. Badly wounded it flaps slowly away, clearly unwilling to continue the fight any longer.

2 is dead, 3 is fleeing. Cyanea can take a shot if she wants.

The first injured siren has fluttered into the shadow of a gravestone and pipes up if confronted.

"Don't hurt me! Don't hurt me! There's no need for us to fight!"

DC19 Will saves or be affected by Suggestion and not attack it. Earplugs will help. :)


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 43/75 hp (5 nonlethal) | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

Will DC 19: 1d20 + 3 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 3 + 1 + 2 = 20

Ambrus is unswayed. "Oh but there is. I don't take threats of being played with and eaten lightly. I will make sure you cannot harm anyone ever again. Lay prone and submit to binding and perhaps I won't need to sever your head from your neck."

Ambrus moves as close as he can get to the remaining siren and intimidates. I don't know how far it is from me, but I'm guessing more than 30 feet (double move). So move action 15 feet closer and standard action intimidate.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

Also, if I killed siren 2, I have the Cleaving Finish feat, which let's me take another melee attack against an opponent within reach if I drop an enemy to 0 hp. I'll roll it, if it applies. Also, killing the siren will end my flaw penalty to AC.

Cleaving Finish: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24
Damage: 1d10 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

Will save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10 I swear, am I going to fail every Will save this game? My modifier's not that bad!

"No...Ambrus, no! Let her be. She's no threat to us." There was nothing to fear from this creature, separated from her allies, broken wing curled against her chest, cowering behind the rough stone...


Minor retconn: Ambrus cleaves through one siren and the backswing catches the other creature as it is blasted upwards by Cyanea's blast. The first and final siren cowers from the man that killed its flock-mates and seems practically immune to its magic.

"I'll tell you anything you want to know." It cries, clearly panicked by Ambrus's bloodthirsty prowess. "Anything at all!"


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 43/75 hp (5 nonlethal) | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

"Don't be fooled, Cyanea. Ever word that comes from these creatures' mouths are manipulation. If we let down our guard, it will not hesitate to claw at our throat."

To the siren, "Yes, I have questions. You will answer them and maybe you will live. If I detect lies or attempts to affect our minds and I will kill you on the spot. I am going to bind you. If you refuse, we will do this the hard way."

If the siren lets me bind it with my silk rope, I will do so. I will make sure it is gagged as well. (If I'm reading it right, it would be DC 30 to escape.)

If not, I will attack it again but try to deal nonlethal to knock it out.

+1 Halberd (nonlethal): 1d20 + 12 - 4 ⇒ (12) + 12 - 4 = 20
Damage: 1d10 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13


The creature submits to binding, although it screams pitiably as Ambrus trusses its injured wing. It even submits to the gag - although answering questions is likely to be a problem now...


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 43/75 hp (5 nonlethal) | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

Ambrus turns to Cyanea. "I hope you are back to your senses. I don't trust letting this creature speak. I know not the extent of its powers but from what I've seen, all of its words are laced with magical manipulation."

Ambrus returns his attention to the siren. He holds the end of the rope binding it like a leash and boots the avian woman in the rump. "Lead us to where the one who escaped would have retreated to. She must be dealt with. And know that I have some skill in tracking myself. If I sense you are attempting to lead us astray, I will kill you and track down your ally myself."

Back to Cyanea, "I'm hurt pretty badly. Do you think you could spare a healing touch? I don't think I could survive another fight like that without some restoration."

Survival: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

Ambrus keeps an eye out for his own clues that the escaped siren passed this way. Tracks, drops of blood, disturbed rocks, etc.

As long as this course is okay with Cyanea too. Feel free to input.

Also, are there any sign of the suit-of-armor guards that were escorting us prior? Did they follow us or did we loose them? Can we find our way back?


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

Still visibly uncomfortable with Ambrus' harsh words and treatment, Cyanea nevertheless lets him continue, although the pitiable screech of pain almost breaks her will. He did have a point - they knew the sirens' words carried a mystical power. This one was harmless, a friend even, but his mistrust of her was understandable, even if unwarranted. "Of course - here, let me attend to that," she replies at Ambrus' request for healing, moving and multiplying the sweat from his skin to cool and bind together his wounds. Ok if I pass one point of burn to you? Take 5 points of non-lethal damage to heal 3d6 + 6 ⇒ (4, 4, 6) + 6 = 20.

She moves to do the same for the bound siren as well, setting a hand as gently as possible on the broken wing. If Ambrus doesn't stop her, she'll heal the siren as well, passing the burn to the siren. 5 points of nonlethal, 3d6 + 6 ⇒ (1, 5, 2) + 6 = 14 healing. "I'm sorry," she murmurs as she draws close. "Your friends were trying to hurt us - I understand why he's suspicious, even if you've done nothing to deserve such ire. I'll keep him in check, and see that you're released when this is over."


The siren nods its head at Cyanea, apparently pleased at the attention she's receiving. With her wing fixed, if not completely mended, she hops awkwardly off towards a broken tower perhaps half a mile away.

Once there it is the work of moments to slay the badly wounded siren and find the small stash of jewelry that the sirens have collected. A magical belt and a silver figurine.

Just the one siren left to deal with. The warriors never left the road when you guys did, but finding your way back will be easy enough once you've dealt with your prisoner.


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 43/75 hp (5 nonlethal) | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

Ambrus asks Cyanea, "We cannot release this remaining creature. But it has been "cooperative". What would you have us do with it? My thought it to bring it to the guards escorting us and have it face their justice."

"These items seem valuable. Perhaps someone in the city can identify them for us? We should return to the soldiers as quickly as possible. I don't want to get lost here."


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

"Why can't we let her go? She's proven to be a friend to us. There's no need for us to fight." The last words are strangely inflected, with just a hint of shrillness to them vastly different from Cyanea's usual deep alto. "Let her go back to her tower - the fight was her companions' choice, but she isn't a threat to us." With 1 hour/level duration, I'm under suggestion for a while yet. ;)

She takes the figurine in her hands, turning it over several times. "I always wished I'd had some ability to examine magic auras. It would have saved me a world of trouble over the years getting shorted on items. But I agree the city is probably our best bet...still a long shot, but if there isn't a person with the ability to examine them then perhaps we can get some sort of item to help. Does that sort of thing exist?"


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 43/75 hp (5 nonlethal) | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10
Cyanea wrote:
Does that sort of thing exist?

"The extent of what magic can accomplish seems limitless. It likely does exist. The next time we come across a magic shop we can ask around."

Cyanea wrote:
Why can't we let her go?

"It would seem you are still under its influence. I dislike slaying a helpless beast, but I also cannot in good consciousness let this creature roam free to murder others who may pass by. Let your head clear and if you still feel that way later, we can discuss." Being Lawful Good can sometimes be a pain in the ass.

In order to move more quickly, Ambrus bashes the siren over the back of its head with the pommel of his halberd to knock it unconscious. He then slings the limp body over his shoulder and makes his way back to the path with the guards.


The guards are waiting on the roadway, formed up tightly with their shields presented and empty helmets facing all directions. As the heroes emerge from the graveyard surrounding them one guard lets out a call and the rest take it up, yelling a cry of victory in their strange voices.

The commander nods to you both, with noticeably more respect than before. "Well done. We feared the worst when you followed the voices, but clearly you are strong warriors. Is this your trophy? Lord Theseus will be most impressed!" The warriors reform their group around you and the march continues, once again blurring your surroundings as time and distance passes seemingly without concern for mortal concerns such as speed or thirst.

Suddenly, a city appears from the grey mist - abruptly as though it was simply willed into being. Building pass by in a blur until the guards slow and halt, before a fine hall - with high columns of dark wood. Before the door stand sentinels, thewed with mighty bronze and wielding spears much like the warriors who accompanied you.

"Sentinels, we bring warriors from afar, they journey to see the great King Theseus and bring him tribute!" The two sentinels nod and the Golden Spears part to allow free passage into the hall. Inside the room is lit with torches, and spectres flit at the edge of sight, grey shades of women carrying baskets and men engaged in deep conversation.

At the far end of the hall a great chair looms and upon it, chained with fetters of iron and silver, sits the bowed shape of a man. His arms are pinned to the throne with what look like bulls horns, and a pool of wine-dark blood flows from his legs, which are shattered like trees in the wake of a storm.

The figure looks up, weary eyes examining the newcomers.

"Long ages past since mortals traversed my labyrinth. Speak, living ones, what do you ask from crippled Theseus, once great King of the Labyrinth?"


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 43/75 hp (5 nonlethal) | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

Ambrus gives Theseus a look over before he kneels down and bows. "Your Majesty, I was not sure what to expect coming here, but I must say that I am surprised. What has happened to you, and why to you remain bound in this way?"

"I am Ambrus and this is Cyanea. We come from Aelysos seeking a spear said to have been wielded by you. We were told that it is now in the possession of a minotaur who lairs in the center of the labyrinth. We do not seek to intrude in your kingdom or affairs. Our path has simply led us here as we have no way of navigating the maze properly."

151 to 200 of 213 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Hero God's of Earth and Sea All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.