Gods of Earth and Sea

Game Master Nikolaus de'Shade


101 to 150 of 182 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

LG Oread Fighter 5 | 63/75 hp | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

"It sounds like there could be trouble. Quickly, boy! Lead us to this inner sanctum. Fear not, help has arrived!"

Ambrus shifts his body slightly to best catch the afternoon light and strikes a shining heroic pose. He pushes his way into the entrance but let's the boy show the way. Along the way, Ambrus continues conversation to alleviate the boy's fear and to gain more information.

"What is your name, boy? Do you know what kind of ritual the priests were attempting to enact? What were they intending to do? What have you been doing these past few hours? Have you heard anything unusual? Is there anyone else in the library, like you who didn't go to perform the ritual? Any other acolytes or guests? Or is everyone else in the sanctum?"

Ambrus readies his weapon and expects the worst.


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

Cyanea was accustomed to being the one taking the lead...but if she'd spoken first, she'd have said the same as her newfound companion. As the words emerge from Ambrus' mouth, her hands tense in readiness, and the sheen of water on her skin begins to dance anew. Beside her, Iroas picks up on the newfound tension and growls slightly, the sound rumbling in his chest. "You may be scared, but we aren't. Lead the way."

My Water Shroud and Elemental Overflow should still be active from the fight on the beach, as I don't believe we've yet rested. I'm good to go.


Ruins of an Empire ||

The boy leads the way through the temple, which appears to be a library of rather impressive stature rather than an obvious place of worship. There are tables of strategy games and much other paraphernalia dedicated to the study of war and strategy but the boy ignores it all and heads for a set of large doors emblazoned with owls. The owl's large eyes seem to follow the heroes as they approach but the boy holds up something in his hand and speaks in an ancient tongue that Ambrus vaguely recognises as cyclopean.

The doors crack apart slightly and the boy falls back. "Please, help them." He says, his anxiety oozing out of every pore.

Inside is a huge space, with books shelves forming graceful sweeps like the radiating petals of a flower. The central section is dominated by a great statue of a woman bearing a long spear and a large shield with a fierce-some visage carved on it. Around the statue in a circle are a group of slumped bodies, one or two twitching feebly - clearly whatever ritual was enacted here has gone horribly wrong. The nearest bookshelves are blasted backwards and in front of the statue stands a semi-corporeal figure who turns to face Cyanea and Ambrus with a maniacal grin on its face.

"Free! After so long!" It says, venom dripping from every word. "So much to do - statues to destroy, books to burn, blood to bathe in!"

Ambrus Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Cyanea Init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
???: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

Kn Rel, DC17:
This is a spectre, the undead remnant of a particularly evil humanoid. They are vulnerable to sunlight and resurrection magics but emit an aura of fear which drives animals away and those slain by their attacks rise as their spawn in short order. Fortunately it seems not to have slain any of the priests... yet.

Iroas growls, all his hackles going up, but refuses to go any closer to the creature. DC25 HA check to make him go closer Cyanea.

It's used its turn monologuing, so Go Heroes!


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 63/75 hp | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

Thank goodness I have a magical weapon.
I don't have Knowledge (religion)...yet to make that check.

Ambrus looks to the boy, "A conjuring gone wrong?"

Then he turns to the spectre, "I don't know much about ghosts but can you even interact with statues or books? I think you are all bluster. A minor spirit that can hurt only the frail. But that won't matter for long because you'll be returning to whatever afterlife you came from." Ambrus is attempting to insult the spectre to draw its anger towards himself.

+1 Halberd w/ Power Attack w/Charge: 1d20 + 12 - 2 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 12 - 2 + 2 = 19
Damage: 1d10 + 9 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 9 + 6 = 18 OOC knowledge of incorporeal but halved to 9

If Ambrus can reach the spectre in a charge (40 ft. move), he charges and attacks. If he cannot, he moves 20 ft. and readies an attack if the spectre moves within range. In that case, you can use the roll above (minus the +2 for charge).
If I can charge, -2 AC for charging.


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

As Ambrus steadies himself, Cyanea rushes into the fray, drawing the water on her skin and multiplying it until a torrent rushes from her fingers to strike at the...whatever it was. She needed no scholarly research or wisdom of experience with the supernatural to know that it needed to go - now. "Iroas, go - go!" She tries to goad her companion forward, but he struggles, clearly wary of the strange being.

I did train the double-attack trick so that unnatural creatures shouldn't freak him out, but if this is weird enough that it overcomes that that's fine.

Water blast: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 123d6 + 6 ⇒ (3, 6, 6) + 6 = 21
Handle Animal: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


Ruins of an Empire ||

Double attack means that he will attack things like Zombies etc. The Spectre has a particular ability which forces animals to stay back so it overrides the usual use of the skill. :)

Iroas doesn't move, his hackles still firmly up and teeth bared. Distracted by her companions recalcitrance Cyanea's water blast flies over the spectre and douses Athena in water. Ambrus on the other hand lands a solid blow - or would if the creature was practically insubstantial... still he hit something!

In retaliation the spectre moves forward with unnatural speed and plunges its ghostly hand into Ambrus' chest. As it does so Ambrus' mind clouds over with a terrible rage against all living things!

Touch: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22 Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 8 Ambrus, make a DC16 fort save or suffer 2 levels energy drain.

Heroes up!

Spoiler:
Spectre -9HP


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 63/75 hp | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

I guess we haven't actually rested, so my hp was at 45 from before. Now 37.

Fort Save DC 16: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

+1 Halberd: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16
Damage: 1d10 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15 7 damage

Ambrus attacks again. "Pathetic! I'm going to cut through you faster than you can cut through me."

"Cyanea? Boy? Either of you know anything about this creature that we can turn to our advantage?"


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

"I wish I did." Grimly, Cyanea looses another burst of water, hoping her aim is better this time. Clearly, whatever this thing was, it had some power over her companion - she'd trained him to fear little. Even hags and harpies didn't usually throw him.

Water blast: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 133d6 + 6 ⇒ (5, 6, 3) + 6 = 20


Ruins of an Empire ||

Cyanea misses once again as the spectre ducks behind Ambrus. The halberd catches it however and leaves a rent in its smoky form that steadfastly refuses to heal.

It retaliates by grasping at Ambrus once, trying to stop his courageous heart in his chest.

Touch: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30 Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 2
Crit?: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16 Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 5
7 damage and DC16 fort save Ambrus.

Spoiler:
Spectre -16HP


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

"No!" Cyanea draws from the puddles of her previous efforts to conjure another globe of water to hurl at the ethereal form, watching Ambrus from the corner of her eye and assessing his injuries.

Water blast: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 8 + 2 = 283d6 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (4, 6, 3) + 6 + 4 = 23

It helps if I include my elemental overflow. XD


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 63/75 hp | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

Fort DC 16: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

+1 Halberd w/Power Attack: 1d20 + 12 - 2 ⇒ (18) + 12 - 2 = 28
Damage: 1d10 + 9 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 9 + 6 = 18 9 damage

"You think you hit hard? Try this!" Ambrus cleaves through the spectre again.

30/75 hp


Ruins of an Empire ||

Ambrus ducks back to slash at the spectre again, leaving it open to a devastating blast of elementally charged water from Cyanea. The creature lets out an ear-piercing scream as much of its essence is blasted away.

The creature darts past Ambrus, seemingly intent on Cyanea's life-force!

Ambrus gets an AOO. If it doesn't hit/kill the thing then...

Maybe Touch: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19 Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 1 DC16 Fort or 2 neg levels.


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

Cyanea steels herself as the ethereal being rushes toward her. At least we can share the harm between us. She sees Ambrus rush toward her foe, but it's hard to tell if he'll make it in time, or if his blade will be enough to stay its progress...

Fortitude save if needed: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 63/75 hp | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

+1 Halberd: 1d20 + 12 - 2 ⇒ (8) + 12 - 2 = 18
Damage: 1d10 + 9 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 9 + 6 = 17 8 damage

Ambrus swipes at the spectre as it tries to move away.


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 63/75 hp | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

That last post was my attack of opportunity. I just realized I should post my actual turn too.

"Where do you think you're going, you pathetic excuse for a ghost? Where's all your saber-rattling about destroying the library now? I banish you!"

+1 Halberd w/Power Attack: 1d20 + 12 - 2 ⇒ (18) + 12 - 2 = 28
Damage: 1d10 + 9 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 9 + 6 = 22 11 damage

Ambrus chases after the spectre and cleaves through it while its back is turned.


Ruins of an Empire ||

As the barely corporeal shade rushes past him, Ambrus jams his halberd through it and, with a piercing cry, the shade evaporates.

At the creature's death it is as though a spell has been lifted. A number of the bodies begin to stir and nurse damaged body parts, although one priest is apparently truly dead - the large pool of blood and heavy candlestick fallen from a table near their head suggests a mundane rather than supernatural death thankfully.

The acolyte rushes in and the next few minutes are filled with exclamations, explanations and justifications until the head priest, a stern-faced woman, approaches you both and nods her thanks. "Your aid is most timely heroes. We of the Bright-Eyed temple are most grateful. We will heal your wounds of course, but is there any other gift we might offer you?"

All HP damage is cured in short order!


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

Cyanea nods back, still shaking slightly from the fear that accompanied the spectre's charge. "Information," she replies, "that's what we need most. It's what brought us here in the first place, in fact. But first...what happened here? What were you trying to do, that summoned something like that?


Ruins of an Empire ||

"Athena is a goddess of protection amongst other things." The woman says, adopting a practised lecturing tone. "We were seeking to perform a ritual to ward our temple in case the beast should attack the city. Unfortunately we didn't take account of its corrupt nature - our magics were... for want of a better word twisted and our intent subverted. So instead of summoning one of Athena's servitors to aid us we awoke that thing instead. It was a traumatic experience for all of us in the ritual and many of my fellow priests blacked out from the strain." She pauses for a moment and takes a deep breath before continuing. "Without you - I don't know what we would have done. I was going to attack it by myself, it would have been suicide but I had to do something. Anyway." She clears her throat and stands straighter. "Access to our archives is yours for as long as you wish. The hospitality of the temple as well - I see that the sun is nearly set. You are welcome here unless you have other places you need to be this night?"


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 63/75 hp | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

"As Cyanea said. We came for access to the library. No monetary reward is necessary." Ambrus listens to the priest's words intently. "Interesting. So you are familiar with Ousmariku's corruption? In fact, one of the topics I seek more information on is just that. While battling with the titan in the harbor, we encountered a merfolk that was corrupted. My assumption is that Ousmariku somehow was the cause but so far, no one has been able to provide any answers. In addition, we also seek to research some monsters that we may encounter on our myth-reading quest. Our first stop is the tomb of Theseus. One group we spoke with mentioned encountering a woman with an enchanting voice that can bewitch those who hear it. And in my dream, I saw a vision of a minotaur. If you can direct us towards books on these topics, I would appreciate it. I do have my own place of rest but I think I will take up your offer to stay here as I'd like to complete our research as quickly as possible and be on our way."


Ruins of an Empire ||

"Then you will be shown to your rooms." The Priestess says in agreement. "Tomorrow I will show your our library myself and you can research whatever topics you desire."

Quick one tonight, I'll try and get the mechanics for the library together tomorrow.


Ruins of an Empire ||

During the night Cyanea finds herself sitting on the Marids Treasure, the sea rocking her gently. By her side sits a young girl in a fine white dress. Her eyes are a startling grey and she practically radiates a wisdom well beyond her years.

"You have served me well Cyanea Michailidis. Take my Aegis, that it may protect you from now on." The little girl hands Cyanea a small disk with an owl carved into it and then vanishes as the kineticist falls back into slumber.

Cyanea, the shield bonus from your elemental defense has been permanently increased by 1. Whenever it manifests a fearsome gorgon face appears on it.

The next morning the High Priestess shows both Heroes to the library. "You are welcome to read anything you wish, I have assigned Telo to assist you. In ten days the Temple closes so that we can prepare for the great festival of the city, but until then you are our honored guests." She nods and leaves you to it, with the acolyte you helped yesterday staring in something that approaches hero worship.

Library Statistics:

Checks (and bonus): Knw History (untrained), Knw Religion , Knw Geography. (Knw bonus +3)

Complexity: DC18.
Languages: Common, Azlanti.

KP: 20.
[b]Thresholds:[/i] 15, 10, 5, 0.

Full rules for research can be found here.

Go ahead and roll your checks. Telo has +5 in all the libraries knowledges and can roll as main or aid as you please. Feel free to roll for him.


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 63/75 hp | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

My current Knowledges are Dungeoneering and Engineering so I'll assist Telo. My first time doing this so I have some questions. I'm not clear, is it one KP of 20 that we can role History, Religion, or Geography. Or are we researching each and each has a KP of 20? And what would Telo's Int bonus be for KP damage? Also, which topics that we wanted to research fall under which knowledge checks?

Day 1
Telo (geography for +3?): 1d20 + 5 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 5 + 3 = 23
Ambrus (Aid): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10 Total Result 25
Damage: 1d12 ⇒ 11 Damage 11 + Telo's Int + 1 for beating DC 18 by 5. So 15ish?

Let me know if I did this right before rolling anymore.

Ambrus gets right down to researching but surrenders to Telo's superior knowledge and mainly assists with gathering books and taking notes as Telo pores through the texts. He starts by grabbing a handful of tomes and scrolls on the Tomb of Theseus.


Ruins of an Empire ||

You can roll His untrained, or Rel/Geo trained. All of those checks get a +3 bonus from the library itself. Telo isn't quite skilled enough to do a d12. His Int is +2 so he does d8+2 damage :) Sadly even with Cyanea's help you can't make DC28 so won't add an extra point of damage.

Telo Damage: 1d8 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 2 + 1 = 5

Telo, assisted by Ambrus once he simplifies his instructions, is able to locate an old map of the Iblydan pennisula. The location of the tomb of Theseus is clearly marked, although the notations near it are in a script that cannot be easily read.

Threshold 1 reached. You have an accurate location for the tomb of Theseus.

Libraries remaining KP - 15.

Anything else to do today after your eight hours of research or push on to another day?


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

Cyanea awakes with a start, moving her hand for a moment as if to trace the outline of something inside it. Another dream, then. But this was not like any dream she'd had before...except for the vision she'd had during Tyresias' myth-reading. It carried a weight, a sense of import to it that none of her other dreams did. She knew little of who the girl could have been, but the ageless eyes in the young face gave her hope.

-----------

The library's vast collection threatens to overwhelm Cyanea. She was far from unlearned, but most of her knowledge had been gained by doing, through action. She'd never been much of a scholar, and while she does her best to assist Ambrus and Telo with the research, she feels just a bit too slow to be of much help. "Do the books say much of anything about what might have been kept within this maze? Something with a voice that could harm intruders, or enchant them?"

Too late to assist?: 1d20 ⇒ 9 Too little even if it isn't too late!

Research is my main focus right now, I don't think there's anything else I need to do at the moment.


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 63/75 hp | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10
GM Nikolaus wrote:
Anything else to do today after your eight hours of research or push on to another day?

If given 10 days, I'll plan on primarily staying at the library and using it. The ways the research rules work, it seems like we could easily use all the time. But I'm going to make a quick trip out tonight to the barracks.

After Telo leaves from the day's research, Ambrus talks to Cyanea. "I'm going to make a quick trip out to the barracks. I'd like to report what's happened in the last day and explain about our quest. I do not want to be branded a deserter for leaving without explanation. I shouldn't be long, then I'll return here. You are welcome to come, but it is not necessary if you have other plans."


Ruins of an Empire ||

Ambrus heads back to the barracks easily and reports in, but finds his presence is almost wholly unnecessary.

"A message was sent." Captain Pythareus informs him. "From Hero-God Kelkiomides. You're assigned to detached duties after receiving a myth-reading." He eyes Ambrus up and down. "Now I know you were out on the barge when the behemoth came, but a myth-reading? Really? There hasn't been one for decades. What happened soldier?"

-----------------
Feel free to respond Ambrus then you can push on with another research check.


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 63/75 hp | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

Ambrus retells his experiences from his battle on the ship with Kelkiomides, to receiving his myth-reading, and then his latest meeting with Kelkiomides again. After his story-telling, he returns to the library to sleep.

The next day, Ambrus hits the books with Telo again. Since they've made some headway into the Tomb of Theseus, they continue from where they left off.

Telo - Knowledge (geography): 1d20 + 5 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 5 + 3 = 25
Ambrus - Assist: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Damage: 1d8 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 2 + 1 = 10

Telo makes good progress but Ambrus' head just spins trying to piece together the fragments of information. After a while, he gives up and just let's Telo retell what he's discovered at the day's end.


Ruins of an Empire ||

Telo has taken to the research with the gusto and spends the day travelling around the library like a minature whirlwind of knowledge. Ambrus's only role is to follow and carry the various texts that Telo keeps finding.

With the help of an ancient dictionary and other scrolls more information is uncovered about the Tomb.

KP 10: The Tomb of Theseus is actually an extra-dimensional maze of sorts in which the eponymous hero was able to imprison numerous monsters until they died. The legendary hero was a devotee of Athena, Goddess of Warfare and Strategy, and used his labyrinth as a way of defeating otherwise invincible monsters.

KP 5: In order to navigate the maze one needs either the legendary Spear of Theseus or to follow the signs of Athena. The clues are subtle, in order to be unnoticed by monsters, but those with the blessing of the goddess or of Theseus will find them with ease.

Libraries Remaining KP: 5 One more major piece of information available to you. But you have the location and a way to safely traverse the labyrinth - in theory at least!


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 63/75 hp | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

"The more I learn of this place, the more dangerous it sounds. And extra-dimensional maze filled with monsters...?"

The next day, Ambrus hopes to finish research on the geography to move onto another topic.

Day 3
Telo - Knowledge (geography): 1d20 + 5 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 5 + 3 + 2 = 23 I forgot the cumulative increase bonus last time (but should be +2 now)
Ambrus - Assist: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Damage: 1d8 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 1 = 8


Ruins of an Empire ||

There is little more to be found on the actual geography of the Labyrinth, but after a long search in the deeper stacks Telo returns with a journal written in cramped handwriting.

It speaks of a former explorer and devotee of Athena who was led to the labyrinth by divine visions of a great beast in the center of a maze. The prose is elaborate but speaks of a great beast with the body of a man and the horns of a beast which stalked the maze and wielded a spear that glowed with holy power.

The passage ends [i]"Pale-Eyed Athena shielded me from its gaze, but as long as I remained in the maze I felt as though it was right behind me. The very Labyrinth bent to its will through the spear - only by invoking Athena's name was I saved."[/b]

That concludes the library challenge! Top marks to Telo for his rolls and Ambrus for his assistance! I'll pause here to give Cyanea a chance to chip in.


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

"So this monster, whatever it is, has the Spear? No chance of sneaking in and out with it none the wiser, then." The days of research and reading were making her head spin, but Cyanea keeps the impatience in her voice to a minimum, a skill she'd spent a long time cultivating for her crew's benefit. "I wonder, was there some kind of rite or incantation the adventurer used to invoke Athena's protection, or this 'shielding from its gaze'? Or is a simple prayer or speaking of her name enough?"

Knowledge (religion): 1d20 ⇒ 2 She's thinking specifically about how the gods' power can be called upon, but she can only make checks up to DC 10 since she's untrained. And a 2 definitely won't cut it!


Ruins of an Empire ||

Cyanea doesn't know anything specific on the subject...

So, going to use the remaining week in the library or not? (I wasn't expecting you to do the whole thing in 3 days!) If so, what are you interested in?


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 63/75 hp | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

"Well I'm glad we did this research. It seems Athena is going to play a big part in our success. It also sounds we'll need to confront the minotaur in my vision in order to retrieve our goal, the spear."

"Although, I'm sure it isn't going to be this simple, it couldn't hurt to curry a little favor. I'm heading to the markets."

Ambrus goes to the markets to search for a holy symbol.

Let me know if I can purchase a wooden holy symbol of Athena (1 gp).


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

Sorry, thought I'd responded!

"I know little of Iblydos' gods, but carrying her holy symbol surely couldn't hurt. Can you get one for me as well?" As Ambrus leaves, carrying Cyanea's coin with him, Cyanea remains behind, scouring the library for any information she can find on Athena - priesthood, symbology, anything that could be of use.

Can I use the library to research basic information about Athena? Maybe even enough to recognize a certain vision she's had of late? ;)


Ruins of an Empire ||

Telo is happy to direct Cyanea to the basic texts on Athena's faith, and she reads a reasonably interesting book of parable and stories dealing with the faith in which Athena regularly appears as an owl, a warrior woman or a little girl - united in all appearances by her piercing grey eyes which, according to one passage 'sparkle like ice in winter sun'. The origin of her name 'Bright-Eyed Athena' seems self explanatory.

Ambrus spends some time in the floating markets, noting with pleasure that life in the city has rapidly returned to normal. Ousmariku never returns twice in a year, and with the Festival of the Sea approaching people are more open minded and gay than they had been in previous weeks.

Finding purveyors of holy symbols is not difficult, and he negotiates for a symbol without difficulty, only to have it unceremoniously confiscated as her returns to the temple. "We cannot have our savior walking around with this cheap piece of wood!" The priest says, scandalised. He removes his own holy symbol, intricately made of silver, and insists on Ambrus taking it instead. "It is a small gift, the smallest in fact. I insist that you take it!"

-----------------------
After two more days of work in the library Telo confirms that he hasn't been able to find anything else on the subjects Ambrus requested. There is a fairly comprehensive bestiary which covers minotaurs in some detail. Unfortunately the clue of 'enchants men with their voices' turns up two or three possibilities, including the story of the ancient hero-god of Cunning Odysseus, who ascended to mythic power after surviving the impossible 'Siren's Gauntlet'. The best method seems to be simply blocking the sound out altogether - it worked for Odysseus at least!

With preparations made, only one thing remains. To set off for the Labyrinth of Theseus!

Any last minute preparations? Checking up on the Marid's Treasure etc? If not we'll move on to the Labyrinth next post!


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 63/75 hp | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

Ambrus accepts the holy symbol from the priest and puts it around his neck. "I am honored to accept this gift. Thank you. I am not a holy man but perhaps it will provide some measure of protection on the journey ahead."

Cyanea wanted one too. Does she get one or can take the wood one?

With little else to learn from the library, Ambrus is ready to begin their quest. He'll leave the musty library to spend one last night in his own bed before meeting back up with Cyanea to use the magic item that will teleport them to their destination.

I'd probably have a room in the military barracks, I guess. I don't have other family in this city so probably wouldn't have a house.


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

But that means...no, it couldn't mean... Cyanea holds her hand before her, tracing with her finger the image of a wooden owl that had rested in it, once upon a dream. Though the import of the experience increases tenfold, she can't help but smile slightly. Well, it's good to properly make your acquaintance, Athena.

With preparations made, Cyanea waits for Ambrus' errand to finish. Her crew weighs heavily on her mind, but tracking down every sailor would prove impossible - there were a hundred inns in the city, and she'd already done everything she could to see that they were provided for. She settles for writing a long message to Mara, detailing the inventory that still needs to be liquidated from her ship's final cargo and how the proceeds would need to be distributed. She's more than capable, Cyanea reminds herself. If anything happens...she's got this.

I'm ready!


Ruins of an Empire ||

Kelkiomides is as good as his word, and the fruit he provided does as he says it would. When it is crushed and the flesh spread around the two of them in a circle, it glows brightly for a second before a warm breeze blows from nowhere and when Cyanea and Ambrus open their eyes they are somewhere else.

Half-way up a bare hillside they are miles from the coast. No hint of salt lies in the air but far away the sunlight glints on what appears to be a ruined city. In front of them however the ground falls into a huge ravine, as though a mighty creature had struck the ground with an axe.

The only point of interest nearby is a doorway into the hillside, formed of three large slabs of rock with a large owl carved into the lintel.

-------------------------
The cave descends into darkness so deep that even light sources barely show more than a couple of feet in front of ones nose. After nearly an hour of cautious travel the cave suddenly opens up into a large open square - an agora much like the ones found in Aelysos. Roads open up in five different directions, but strangely the entire place is utterly and completely empty. The stalls stand empty, the collonades at the edge of the agora have chairs but no-one to sit in them and the streets are devoid of all life.

Welcome to the Labyrinth.


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 63/75 hp | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

Ambrus and Cyanea both have darkvision. As long as Cyanea agrees, we'd probably not use a light source unless needed for some reason. No need to draw extra attention to ourselves.

"I'd be more surprised if someone was waiting here. The emptiness is rather comforting. I guess we should start looking for clues. We can spread out in this agora but don't venture down any pathways without me. For all we know, this place could be full of traps and magical transposition and I don't want to become separated."

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24

Ambrus will search for any signs of Athena along the five branches as well as if anything of note is left behind in the stalls.


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

Yeah, I don't see much point in carrying a light unless we need it for some reason. Darkvision in Pathfinder still works for reading, right? I know in earlier versions when it was more infrared vision it didn't.

"Agreed. The minotaur is not going to be the only thing we have to worry about." The silence is unsettling - even in the middle of an empty ocean, there was a small sound of lapping waves, the distant cry of sea birds, the hubbub of a crew a few rooms away. Now, her light footfalls, Ambrus' heavy steps, and Iroas' clicking claws are all that echoes in the vastness of the agora. Keeping Ambrus close and Iroas closer, she begins to examine the stalls, searching for any kind of clue as to which direction the Spear might lie.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27 Written/drawn clues are most likely what she'd focus on finding. Any chance of a neon sign saying "Theseus' Tomb this way"? ;)


Ruins of an Empire ||

After a close examination of the stalls only one appears to be of any significance - a potters stall, with plates and mugs of good glazed clay. On the wheel, as though the potter had simply stepped away for a moment was a wide pot, with a delicate edging of small owls - their large round eyes staring .

"I can help you Sir? My lady?" The voice comes completely out of the blue and is horribly unexpected. A small boy, perhaps ten years old and missing a front tooth, appears from behind the stall. "You want to buy the pot? A fine piece, my father's work. He will be finished here shortly. Or I can take you to his workshop? Many more fine pieces there!"


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 63/75 hp | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

Ambrus is surprised to hear a boy's voice in the presumably empty square. He quickly makes his way over to where Cyanea is standing and sees her engaged with a "boy" selling a pot. Since the boy addressed Cyanea, Ambrus allows her to answer, but he unabashedly shifts behind the stall and pokes the boy with a finger, curious if the boy is indeed as solid as he appears or if he is more incorporeal in nature.


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

The boy's appearance had been sudden and startling...but he had appeared along with the owl-edged pot on the wheel, and it was the only hint that had appeared so far. "It is beautiful," she replies with as much smile as she can muster. "Your dad did a good job on it. Where is your dad? I'd like to ask him how much longer it will be before the pot will be fired and ready for me to take home if I buy it." She turns back quickly toward Ambrus and mouths a few words silently, still smiling for the boy's benefit. Be ready.


Ruins of an Empire ||

"This way, fine lady!" The boy says with a gap-toothed grin and scampers off down one of the streets.

After a turn or two he leaves you outside as he darts into a potters shop. Next door is a smithy, empty except for the ringing noise of metal being hammered. The potters has a bull's head mounted above the door and a voice comes from inside.

"New clients? Excellent! My boy says you want one of my pots. Come in and you can choose any design you please!"

Inside the Shop:
A pleasant looking man sits at a wheel with a clay-stained apron on. "So? Any design in particular?"

There is a wide range of pots around the walls, featuring almost every imaginable creature and design, including an owl, heroes in various poses, and assorted mythological beasts.

"Any pot for five gold pieces." The potter offers.


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 63/75 hp | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

Was I able to touch the boy earlier? Was he solid or not?

Ambrus wanders around the shop almost absentmindedly browsing but actually looking for clues of abnormalities; signs of life or lack thereof. (Cobwebs, dust on the floor, or deterioration in the construction that could indicate disuse). (Footprints, clutter, or fresh food that could indicate life).

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13

"The one Cyanea was looking at on your stall was quite pleasing. We've taken a liking to owls as of recently." Ambrus holds up his holy symbol and presents it to the potter. "Something bearing this design would be perfect."

Ambrus also engages in some small talk, "So, we've noticed this place is quite dead. You two are the only inhabitants that we've encountered in this whole complex thus far. In fact, what do you call this place? We came to explore Theseus' Tomb, but perhaps you have another name for it? How long have you been down here? Are there others? Or perhaps you realize none of this and believe you are living in a sprawling city? And that too would be quite telling."


Female Undine Kineticist 5 | 55/55 hp, 10 NL | AC 23, T 16, FF 23 | +8 F, +10 R, +5 W | CMD 17 | Init +5, Perc +11 | Burn 2/6 | Active: Shroud (+3 shield), Elemental Overflow (+2 atk/+4 dmg)

Cautiously Cyanea enters, motioning to Iroas to stay outside; he complies, though not entirely happily, dropping to his haunches huffily just outside the door. As Ambrus questions the man, she takes in her surroundings, looking for any detail that could explain the strangeness of this man and his son alone in such a strange place.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17


Ruins of an Empire ||

He was solid.

"Ahh, owls." The man says with a sage nod. "I have a lovely selection. Try the one in the corner, to see if you like it." He seems perfectly normal although his shop is remarkably clean, no sign of dust or dirt at all.

"You have only seen us?" He seems quite surprised. "Perhaps the town is quiet today. Lisoras is a busy town normally. Anyway, my son was at the stall at least! So, a tomb hey? You would need to head south... to the Necropolis!"

1d20 + 30 ⇒ (13) + 30 = 43


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 63/75 hp | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

"Necropolis? I don't particularly like the sound of that but I suppose if that's where the signs take us..."

Ambrus examines the pot in the corner that the potter recommended. "How much?"

"I also noticed you have an impressive bull's head above your door. Is it from an ordinary bull or a more extraordinary minotaur? How did you come about acquiring that? Are you perhaps also a hunter?"

Knowledge (local) (untrained) on Lisoras: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 Derp


Ruins of an Empire ||

As Ambrus leans in to examine the pot more closely it sprouts tentacles and attempts to ensnare him in its grip! It hits with considerable force and Ambrus feels his ribs crack under the blow as the tentacles smash into his chest and stick to him!

Surprise Slam!: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29 Damage: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

Before he can move the tentacles constrict, squeezing his battered body even further!

Constrict: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

26 damages to Ambrus and he is grappled. Heroes up!

A Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
C Init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Mimic: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22


LG Oread Fighter 5 | 63/75 hp | AC 20, T 13, FF 18 | F +7, R +4, W +3 | CMD 22 |Init +2, Perc + 10

Knowledge (dungeoneering): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16 Ambrus tries to recall what this creature is.

Darkwood Club (Power Attack): 1d20 + 11 - 2 ⇒ (14) + 11 - 2 = 23
Damage: 1d6 + 5 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 5 + 4 = 14

Unable to use his halberd properly while grappled, he draws his club and starts battering the sticky foe.

"Whoa! I was not expecting this! What is the meaning of this deception? Cyanea, help me!"

HP: 49/75

101 to 150 of 182 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Hero God's of Earth and Sea All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.