GM supervillan's 9-01 High Cost of Enlightenment [PFS] (Inactive)

Game Master supervillan

High tier maps and slides


1 to 50 of 331 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

Named high tier players please dot and delete.


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

You have been despatched from the Pathfinder Society lodge in Katheer, to a large mining city in the Qadiran interior.

Somewhat unusually, the Venture-Captain who despatched you has done so by letter. You may all open this spoiler.

VC ibn Qaradi's letter:

Pathfinders,
I regret that business has forced me away from the lodge, and so I must settle for a simple letter instead of providing you with a proper greeting.
An unusual pair of cults—The White Feather and the Roidirans—has taken root in the Qadiran mining town of Qaharid. The White Feather are ascetics who believe enlightenment comes from giving away all worldly possessions and status, while the Roidirans follow the goddess Roidira, the Dark Sister of Knowledge. To Roidirans, nothing matters more than following their goddess’ example and rejecting established wisdom to uncover universal truth. Recently, Roidirans have been returning from forays outside of Qaharid in the throes of grief and causing quite a few disturbances. Whatever knowledge the Roidirans have found in their pilgrimage must be significant, and so I’m asking you to investigate it further.

This mission requires poking your noses in affairs that Qadirans might deem embarrassing. For that you’ll need a properly powerful patron, and one well-versed in matters of faith. No patron would be better for this situation than High Priestess Amal al Sahba, who not only oversees Sarenite activities in all Maharev, but has the ear of the satrap himself as one of the exalted Peerless—his handpicked council of elite advisors. If anyone can help you, she can. When you meet with the high priestess, be sure to put your best effort into impressing her. Represent yourselves well, and she could prove a powerful ally in the future.

I’ve enclosed a sealed letter of recommendation, but it won’t be enough to just go up to al-Sahba and hand her the letter; she’s a busy woman with a province to run. Fortunately, by the time you arrive, there will be an ongoing festival celebrating the invincibility of the sun and Sarenrae’s eternal light. Like most religious festivals, it is open to foreigners; perhaps you can get her attention there.

If you can’t reach her directly, however, try her wife, Lorah Meriwether. She’s not quite at her spouse’s level of prestige, but she heads a local trading guild, has plenty of connections, and—of course—has direct access to al-Sahba. On top of all that, she’s foreign, and may be more sympathetic to your situation. If your attempts to gain the high priestess’s attention at the festival fail, find Meriwether during her office hours in the Customs House and talk to her.

When you have finished your business in Qaharid, I invite you to join me for a full-course dinner at the Katheer Lodge.

I look forward to hearing your report over spiced cake and tea.

May Shade Never Be Far,

Venture-Captain Esmayl ibn Qaradi

Your boat journey from Katheer to Qaharid gives you ample time to introduce yourselves to each other, and to discuss your mission. Please go ahead and give your in-character introductions...

The Exchange

Dead Dead

A gnome who dresses in a brown vest and slacks, black boots and a white dress shirt, steps along in tow playing a drum covered in shingles and chimes like a tambourine.

"Oh my name is Uncle Julius and from Taldor I did come,
To play in this jolly band with my jingle-drum,
And when I march along the street the ladies think I'm grand.
They shout, there's Uncle Julius playing his jingle-drum again!
"

The Exchange

PFS #76925-46 Male Nagaji Paladin 1/Oracle 2 | HP:30/30| AC: 17/10/17|Init: -4| Perc: +3| Fort: +5| Ref: +1| Will: +6| Scimitar: +5;1d6+4| L.Bow: +2;1d8| CMB: +5| CMD: 15|Channel 30ft 4x/day 1d6+1
Skills:
Acro: -3| Bluff:+3| Climb: -1| Diplo: +9| E.A: -4| Fly: -4| H.A: +3| Heal: +0| Inti: +3| K.(Nob/His/Plan): +5|K.(Reli): +6| Ling:+3| Stealth: -4| Spellcraft: +1| Survival: +1|

Dressed in a well polished breastplate, this Nagaji's eyes never blinks. Turning his head to take in the sights slowly, the longbow on slung on his back and the scimitar sheathed at his side gives the impression of one used to the desert environments.

Turning to the first one who approaches him, he speaks though his voice is low it is clear.
"Greetingss I am Tsschas Blackfang. One in service to the Dawnflower. May her light guide your way."


Grippli Haunted Spiritualist 4| AC17 T13 F15 | HP 31/31 | CMD:14 | F:+7 R:+4 W:+10 | Init:+2 | Perception: +13 | Spells: 2nd:2/2 1st-3/5, Bonded Senses 3/3 | Active Effects: endure elements

A timid grippli comes to stand beside the singing gnome. "I like your song. Did you make it?"

Grand Lodge

Outsider (phantom)| AC19 T11 F18 DR 5/slashing | HP 19/19 | CMD:17 | F:+4 R:+2 W:+3 | Init:+1 | Perception: +0 | usurp manifestation 2/7 | Active Effects: Ectoplasmic Form, endure elements, mage armor

Following the grippli onto the boat is the ectoplasmic phantom of a half-orc armored in full plate. "Salutations battle sibling Blackfang. And to you also Julius, although you are no uncle to me."

Glancing at the grippli with distaste, he continues. "Don't mind the anchor, it is my burden."

Dark Archive

Female Dwarf Inquisitor (Iconoclast) 4 HP 32/39 | AC 17, T 10, FF 17 | Fort +8, Ref +2, Will +8 (+3 vs poison, +5 vs spells/SLA's, +2 vs magic items) | Init +3 | Perception +10, Darkvision 60 ft. Judgement: 2/2. Spells: 1st 2/4, 2nd 2/2. Recall 2/3. Active conditions: none.

Yndra is quick to earn a reputation among the sailors of the boat to Qaharid. She's a dwarven woman that has seen quite some years, judging by her wrinkles and graying hair, kept in a simple braid usually worn over one shoulder. However, the years haven't made her kinder, if she ever were kind to begin with. She's seen prowling the deck, scowling at no one in particular and waving her staff around, a stout length of wood carved and dyed to look like two intertwined asps, one black and one white. It proclaims her of Nethys' faith, as does the hold symbol around her neck. She has an articulated breastplate and several melee weapons among her stowed luggage, which seems to speak against her being an arcane spellcaster.

The most prominent feature on Yndra's face is a burn scar on her right cheek and temple. Whatever caused that also seems to have impacted her eye on that side, which has trouble staying in alignment with her left. She frowns her eyebrows as Julius introduces himself with a song, and her twitching right eye makes it clear how she feels about such merriment. "Pah! If he thinks I'm calling him Uncle, he's sorely mistaken. Young enough to be my nephew..." she mutters under her breath.

She turns away from the gnome to speak with the Nagaji, who seems better company. "Greeting, Tsjas," making a small effort to correctly pronounce his name. "It's good to meet a fellow faithful, even if our paths differ. My name is Yndra Marthaun, sent out in the world by Nethys. It is my mission to keep magic from harming people who would tinker with it recklessly." She looks quite severe as she states this, and for once both of her eyes are in focus.

--

She retrieves the letter from the Venture-Captain, speaking to Tsschas and any other of their group who might be willing to discuss. "What do we feel about our assignment? I've got the impression these are groups meddling with things they don't understand, reason enough to investigate. But it seems like we'll have to make some 'friends' before we can do our actual work. It seems you might be well-suited to navigate Qadiran society?"

The Exchange

Dead Dead

"Oh-ho ho! I am an Uncle to everyone but parent to none, for no child bears my name! Only my songs may be my children, as by me they are made. For I am partially dead as well, don't you know? The curse of aging gripped me long ago, and a lichborne I will become, to outlast the fiery explosion of the sun!"

---

"Most interesting, I dare do say. The firs step of our quest is a follower of Sarenrae." Julius muses. "There may be much I know of sandy Qadira, that I might."

I have all knowledges at +10, which should be rolled? :)
Also let me know if the rhyming gets on anyone's nerves, and I can either tone it down or stop it.


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

No knowledge checks are specifically called for at this point Julius, but feel free to roll Religion for details about Sarenrae, and Geography for details about Qadira.

The Exchange

Dead Dead

Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18
Knowledge Geography: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

What Uncle Julius knows:

Sarenrae:
Sarenrae the Dawnflower is the Goddess of the Sun. Her symbol is an angelic ankh. The dove is her sacred animal.

Sarenrae is a Kelishite goddess, but her worship is common all over the Inner Sea region. In addition to being goddess of the Sun, Sarenrae is concerned with honesty, healing and redemption. She teaches that all creatures, whatever evil they may have committed, have the possibility of being redeemed: the only exception is Rovagug, the Rough Beast, whom Sarenrae helped the other gods to imprison in the centre of the world.

The church of Sarenrae is mostly composed of altruistic priests who are also ready to be stern should it be warranted. The church is known for blessing crops, healing the sick, and reforming criminals and evil doers. They are often consulted to solve feuds and disputes among neighbours and families. The Empire of Kelesh holds her as their patron deity and is responsible for spreading her faith throughout the Inner Sea region.

The Cult of the Dawnflower is a militant sect of the church that is popular and influential in Osirion and Qadira.

Knights of Sarenrae identify themselves by wearing white scarves around their helms and wielding the scimitar. They are willing to offer mercy to those enemies who seek absolution and renounce evil.

Qadira:
Qadira, Gateway to the East, Outpost of the Keleshite Empire. An ancient kingdom of arid deserts and exotic cities, Qadira is the westernmost satrapy of the Padishah Empire of Kelesh. All along the seacoasts, the ships of Qadira ply their trade, carrying goods brought by camel, caravan, and f lying carpet from lands farther east: silks, spices, and salt, as well as the exotic magical luxuries for which Qadira is so well known. Qadira is not the wealthiest of lands in the Keleshite empire, but even its relatively enormous frontier cities possess marvels that much of Avistan can only wonder at, from its peacocks and flowering trees to its animated siege engines and well-disciplined elemental mercenaries.

Taldor and other nations on the Inner Sea and Obari Ocean fear the ambitions of the current satrap of Qadira, young Xerbystes II. He works as the hand of Kelesh’s emperor, given free rein over local affairs in exchange for an annual tribute of 13 golden bulls and 300 concubines for the vast pleasure palaces of the imperial heartland. Because of Qadira’s strategic importance, however, Xerbystes bows to the imperial will on matters outside his borders, such as piracy, trade, and war with Taldor. In those matters, his vizier Hebizid Vraj serves as the emperor’s hand. Since Qadira’s generals also follow orders from Kelesh, Xerbystes cannot have the war with Taldor he craves. He makes do by giving his heroes—a group of nobles and advisers called the Peerless—ever more difficult tasks in his service.

The arrival of new ideas and cults from the east is almost as common as the arrival of camel trains and silks. A small group calling itself the White Feather Monks recently arrived with such a caravan, teaching peace and serenity to any who would listen. The monks are closely watched by the satrap, who fears any new faith or idea as potentially dangerous. As pacifists, the White Feather Monks face a long struggle to win the satrap’s good graces, for he has little use for those who cannot feed his war machine as he prepares his desired offensive against Taldor. The traditionalists in the church of Sarenrae see these pacifist priests as possible allies, yet they too are suspicious of the secrecy that the White Feather Monks maintain regarding their background and true motives.

The Exchange

PFS #76925-46 Male Nagaji Paladin 1/Oracle 2 | HP:30/30| AC: 17/10/17|Init: -4| Perc: +3| Fort: +5| Ref: +1| Will: +6| Scimitar: +5;1d6+4| L.Bow: +2;1d8| CMB: +5| CMD: 15|Channel 30ft 4x/day 1d6+1
Skills:
Acro: -3| Bluff:+3| Climb: -1| Diplo: +9| E.A: -4| Fly: -4| H.A: +3| Heal: +0| Inti: +3| K.(Nob/His/Plan): +5|K.(Reli): +6| Ling:+3| Stealth: -4| Spellcraft: +1| Survival: +1|

"The healing sun Shine upon you as well Yndra Marthaunsss" Tsschas responds with a small bow as well.

"It is rare for one not of the tribe to make the effort to speak my name properlyss. Our tongue though improved over the years of trading still has no proper translationss at timesss. I am both warrior and healer in the Service of Sarenrae and I am well pleassed to make your aquaintance."

"I have had training in how to speak to the peoplesss in citiesss but I have had to follow your lead for I am both Blind and deaf....however the light of Sarenrae has granted me a vision of sorts. I must face you to understand what you are saying...."

Dark Archive

Human Investigator 5 (HP 38/38 | AC 17, Tch 12, FF 14 | CMD 18 | Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +5; +2 vs illusions | Init +2 | Perc +15 | Inspiration 5/5)

The final member of the group arrives a little after the others in simple sturdy work clothes and a serious demeanor.

"Graves." He says, by way of introduction, his accent distinctly Varisian. "Samuel Graves. Special investigator for the Heidmarch's lodge in Varisia."

He is a large, solumn-looking, man of middle age who looks like he's spent much of his years outdoors. He does not bear any obvious weapons, though has a number of tools, the most prominent of which is a sturdy well-used shovel.

Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 12 + 1d6 ⇒ (8) + 12 + (6) = 26
Knowledge (geography): 1d20 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (11) + 8 + (6) = 25


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

Still waiting on 'Fate' to join us, but I'll get things moving now...

What Mr Graves adds:

Sarenrae:
Sarenrae’s clergy are devoted to serving their communities, administering to their flocks with a gentle hand and wise words. They provide healing and counsel to those who need it, listen to the confessions of those who wish to bare the wounds of their souls to Sarenrae’s healing light, expose injustice where they find it, arbitrate disputes, and rehabilitate criminals. They promote law and order as long as these benefit everyone, but are not afraid to help organize communities against unjust rulers. Priests view casual cruelty or thoughtlessness as genuinely harmful, and if they accidentally engage in one of these behaviors themselves, they seek out the wronged person and attempt to obtain his forgiveness. They understand that goodness takes practice, and regular daily acts of kindness and virtue aid one in building the moral strength to do what is right when one’s goodness is challenged in more serious ways.

The summer solstice celebration, called the Sunwrought Festival, honours the longest day of the year. Worshipers dance, give each other small gifts, light fireworks, and sell or trade their finest crafts in a market-like gathering. Fireworks, paper streamers, and simple kites are popular amusements. Many celebrations feature a reenactment of the battle between Sarenrae and Rovagug, with the goddess represented by a young woman and the evil god represented as a large frame-and-cloth costume that can exceed 20 feet in length and require four or more people to operate.

Qadira:
Qadira, and the Padishah Empire, has a long history of war. During the Age of Enthronement, Qadira’s satraps again sought to expand the power of the Padishah Empire. This led to the conquest of the mountain settlement of Gurat, further skirmishes with the Taldans, and eventually one of Qadira’s most legendary achievement —the subjugation of the nation of Osirion. With this incredible addition to Qadira’s growing power, Satrap Xerbystes I struck a nowancient bargain: he would rule Qadira and its new holdings in Osirion as a hereditary (rather than appointed) satrap and have absolute control over the nation’s interior, but the Padishah Emperor would install a vizier to advise Xerbystes and his successors, communicating the imperial will on matters of expansion, war, and trade.

The Exchange

Dead Dead

Uncle Julius goes over everything he knows about Sarenrae and Qadira to the rest of his team.

Feel free to read my spoilers. :)


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

Qaharid, the Turquoise City, spreads out from its docks at the vertex of the Maharev and Meraz Rivers, its forest of minarets and spires proudly flaunting the lustrous copper mined from the surrounding hills. Though far from the cosmopolitan coasts your journey was by riverboat, the city rises from its perch with an eagle’s pride that sports every colour of the rainbow, as though it were itself a district of the grand metropolis of Katheer.

Fifty thousand souls call the city home, and it shows. People of every description hustle through the docks, and a cacophony of accents and languages mingle with the music of charming street buskers. A rich market street lined with bright awnings and tents leads straight from the docks to the customs house, beyond which rise the golden spires of the Sarenite temple. No doubt the prospective patron in Venture-Captain Esmayl ibn Qaradi’s letter might be found there in the Temple Ward.

Freshly painted signs announce, in several languages, the entrance to Coppersmith Lane, a place whose workaday name belies the expensive temptations that beckon to passersby from its countless tables and stalls. Here and there, almost like blank spaces in the crowd, are the unadorned, crisp white cloaks and shifts of White Feather adherents.

Walking through the marketplace invites an education in Qadiran culture. Here the worship of the Keleshite sun goddess is at its absolute zenith. Children dressed as Sarenrae and her paladins run laughing through the streets playing little war games, a smiling priestess doles out blessings to passersby, cheerfully intoning “The dawn brings new light!” with each, while glittering devices celebrating the goddess dangle from most stalls. Buntings and banners announce the annual solstice festival, which is no doubt contributing to the religious colour flooding the streets.

Perception DC13:

There are an unusual number of guards on duty, even for so crowded a place, including Sarenite paladins.

Keleshite language, OR Linguistics DC19:

You notice amidst the chatter concerned whispers about the growing strength of the Roidirans. “Will they do what they did yesterday?” one woman asks.

Dark Archive

Human Shaman~4 | HP: 28/28 | AC:16 {F:+2|R:+1|W:+8} Perception: +10 | Initiative: +8

Sorry all, life ambushed me. Headed out the door to a function, but will post more tonight upon my return.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

The Exchange

Dead Dead

Linguistics: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

Uncle Julius, shifting his eyes back and forth to see if he can hear any more of this Roidirans concern, opens his vest to reveal he has a wide collection of tobacco pipes. He plucks one out, and stuff its full of his favorite burnt oak chocolate flavored tobacco.

"Seems the locals are concerned, that they are, of Roidirans and Sarenites clashing in public." He lights the pipe, giving a gentle puff or two before contemplating further.

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 18

Spotting the guards and paladins of Sarenrae, he gives himself a knowing smile. "Ah yes, proof." Julius takes the pipe from his mouth and points them out with to his allies, the pipe as a pointer. "Looks like they have been at it just long enough that heavier guard duty was requested, or required."

Dark Archive

Female Dwarf Inquisitor (Iconoclast) 4 HP 32/39 | AC 17, T 10, FF 17 | Fort +8, Ref +2, Will +8 (+3 vs poison, +5 vs spells/SLA's, +2 vs magic items) | Init +3 | Perception +10, Darkvision 60 ft. Judgement: 2/2. Spells: 1st 2/4, 2nd 2/2. Recall 2/3. Active conditions: none.
Tsschas Blackfang wrote:
"I have had training in how to speak to the peoplesss in citiesss but I have had to follow your lead for I am both Blind and deaf....however the light of Sarenrae has granted me a vision of sorts. I must face you to understand what you are saying...."

Yndra seems puzzled by this. "A... vision of sorts. Well, I am sure the Venture-Captains consider you fit for duty, despite your sensory challenges." She still has her doubts. Unconsciously she's started speaking a bit louder and slower now, falling in the trap that many probably do, to better articulate her speech for the benefit of Tsschas.

--

Yndra pays close attention as Julius brief them on Qadira. She nods in gruff approval. Well, for all his jolly song, at least he knows his stuff. That's important.

--

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11

Upon entering the city, Yndra quickly decides that she doesn't like it. She sweats heavily from the heat and finds herself jostled in the crowd, almost stumbling once as she tries to look everywhere at once. There's quite a number of these White Feathers. More than I expected, I must say..." The sound of Kelish all around her is a distraction, and she fails to notice anything out of the ordinary until Julius points it out. "Yes, yes," she concedes, before adding a question that had been bugging her. "These Roidirans, are they as many of the White Feathers? Less visible, in that case..." She looks all around while dabbing her forehead with a handkerchief. "Which way to the Temple quarter? Let's get this over with."

The Exchange

Dead Dead

Julius considers that question with a puff from his pipe.
Knowledge Religion Roidira: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
Will that let U.J know anything about Roidira or followers?

The Exchange

PFS #76925-46 Male Nagaji Paladin 1/Oracle 2 | HP:30/30| AC: 17/10/17|Init: -4| Perc: +3| Fort: +5| Ref: +1| Will: +6| Scimitar: +5;1d6+4| L.Bow: +2;1d8| CMB: +5| CMD: 15|Channel 30ft 4x/day 1d6+1
Skills:
Acro: -3| Bluff:+3| Climb: -1| Diplo: +9| E.A: -4| Fly: -4| H.A: +3| Heal: +0| Inti: +3| K.(Nob/His/Plan): +5|K.(Reli): +6| Ling:+3| Stealth: -4| Spellcraft: +1| Survival: +1|

The nagaji senses that he has made his companions discomforted and hastens to allay their fears.
"Fear not. I have being cleared for duty and I do have the means to take caress of myself. So do not worryss on my account."

Perception 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Linguistics 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22

"I do not sensess any changes so I must trust to all of you. I do make out the words of the crowd though they seem confusing. Whatss have the Rodians done?"

The Exchange

Dead Dead

"According to our Captain, got into a public spit and possible brawl against the Whitefeathers of Sarenrae. They are a bit more forceful in faith, that they are, and seem to be ready to create problems." Julius says to Tsschas, but still is just thinking and smoking from his pipe.

The Exchange

Dead Dead

"Regardless, the festival is about to start. We either can try to find our hope-to-be informat al-Sahba. According to the letter, we will need to sweet-talk her a bit." He blows out a big puff of smoke into the shape of a heart. "Or, if we can't reach her directly, we can ask her wife Lorah Meriwether." He puffs another smoke cloud, and it forms into an arrow that shoots through the heart cloud.

"Lets get to it then, shall we?"

Dark Archive

Human Shaman~4 | HP: 28/28 | AC:16 {F:+2|R:+1|W:+8} Perception: +10 | Initiative: +8

Back on the boat

A man of Mwangian descent walks up the gangplank. Save for a breastplate, loin-cloth, belt pouch and sandals, the man is naked. Strapped to his side is a mace, with a skull shaped top. However, it looks like the man, who is all skin and bones, would struggle to effectively wield in in combat. Sitting on the man's shoulder is a small scorpion.

In a heavy accent, "My apologies for my tardiness. Among my peoples, I am Mkono wa Hatima. However, those I travel with have found it easier to call me Fate." He refers to the arachnid on his shoulder. "This is Mwongozo wa Roho, though I doubt you will see very much of him." The shaman makes certain to greet each member of the team.

On the journey, everyone on the ship sees Fate with an egg shaped piece of clay. He seems very adapt with it, working it to the shapes of items and animals alike.

******************************************************

PRESENT DAY

Fate nods his agreement. "Better to aim for the stars and hit the moon."


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

Uncle Julius on Roidira:
Little is known about Roidira, apart from her title as the 'Dark Sister of Knowledge'. Some scholars maintain she is a candidate for being the mysterious entity known as White Feather, though this is disputed by others who see White Feather as Irori or the Peacock Spirit. Apart from these scholars relating her to White Feather, Roidira is practically unknown.

You easily obtain directions to the Temple Square. The place is flooded with festivalgoers who’ve made a secondary marketplace of the holy district. Brightly coloured kites soar above the stalls that sell them, barely dodging the fireworks set off by gaggles of excited teenagers.

It’s noontide on the longest day of the year, and yet the dry heat has done nothing to still the clamour of religious devotion. For all the schisms and debates within the Qadiran Sarenite church, today they are all one in her service.

Unfolding on a canopied stage is the final scene of the Qadiran ballet, “The Dance of the Golden Veils,” depicting the remarkable triumph of Sarenite paladins against impossible odds, all to the melismatic strains of an orchestra performing beneath a sea of colorful parasols. In the opposite corner of the square lies a large, inert machine some 30 feet in height depicting the evil god Rovagug and a worried priest pacing around it. A sign saying “See Sarenrae defeat the mighty Rovagug! Noon Today!” sits beside it, but it is past noon, the ballet is about to end, and there are no actors in sight to operate the clockwork monstrosity.

Dark Archive

Human Investigator 5 (HP 38/38 | AC 17, Tch 12, FF 14 | CMD 18 | Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +5; +2 vs illusions | Init +2 | Perc +15 | Inspiration 5/5)

Perception: 1d20 + 15 + 1d6 ⇒ (19) + 15 + (1) = 35
Linguistics: 1d20 + 11 + 1d6 ⇒ (11) + 11 + (5) = 27

"If you want to know what they've done... simplest to just ask." Graves says, when Tssach mentions the whispered conversations.

Can he just ask one of the people, or a guard?

As they come closer to the Temple Square, he eyes the festivities and crowds equally, observing more out of curiosity than any desire to participate or be entertained.

"Amazed they don't burn the whole place down." He mutters as the children run past shooting off fireworks with little supervision.

He points out the giant machine. "That's part of their big reenactment, for the festival." He explains. "The machine being Rough Beast of course, and usually some young woman playing the part of the Dawnflower."

He looks around with a puzzled expression. "Though pretty sure they should have started by now."

He pushes his way through some of the crowds, approaching the worried-looking fellow by the Robogug. "Pardon, but shouldn't the show have started by now? Figured there'd already be a whole platoon of people gearing up to get that contraption moving."

A lead in to see what's worrying him!

The Exchange

PFS #76925-46 Male Nagaji Paladin 1/Oracle 2 | HP:30/30| AC: 17/10/17|Init: -4| Perc: +3| Fort: +5| Ref: +1| Will: +6| Scimitar: +5;1d6+4| L.Bow: +2;1d8| CMB: +5| CMD: 15|Channel 30ft 4x/day 1d6+1
Skills:
Acro: -3| Bluff:+3| Climb: -1| Diplo: +9| E.A: -4| Fly: -4| H.A: +3| Heal: +0| Inti: +3| K.(Nob/His/Plan): +5|K.(Reli): +6| Ling:+3| Stealth: -4| Spellcraft: +1| Survival: +1|

"Perhapss they need help?" Tsschas muses.
Having being informed of the situation, he looks at the contraption.

"It seemss like no one is here."

Dark Archive

Female Dwarf Inquisitor (Iconoclast) 4 HP 32/39 | AC 17, T 10, FF 17 | Fort +8, Ref +2, Will +8 (+3 vs poison, +5 vs spells/SLA's, +2 vs magic items) | Init +3 | Perception +10, Darkvision 60 ft. Judgement: 2/2. Spells: 1st 2/4, 2nd 2/2. Recall 2/3. Active conditions: none.

The crowd at Temple Square does little to ease Yndra's mood. "Right you are," she concurs with Mr. Graves, wagging her staff at the teenagers setting off fireworks. She would have given them a stern lecture, if it weren't too damn hot to go chasing after them.

Ballet holds little interest for her, but the machine resembling Rovagug seems interesting. She follows Mr. Graves and Tsschas to that corner of the square. "I don't know," she muses. "Maybe it's an automaton, acting on its own? And the priest over there will fill on the rest with illusions? He does look worried, though..." She chimes in and addresses the priest directly. "Sir, will your show be starting shortly?"


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

Mr Graves gets a variety of responses from the gathered populace when mentioning the Roidirans.

Mr G diplo: 1d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (9) + 7 + (3) = 19

Some folks scoff, others look fearful, but none wish to discuss the matter.

The worried priest next to the Rovagug contraption sees your approach. "Oh, Sarenrae help me! My actors haven't shown up! They're probably drunk, or lying oblivious in some pesh-den!" He looks over your group. "Could - could you help? We need a Sarenrae, and a crew for the Rovagug-machine. It normally needs six, but five should be sufficient. I have props, and I can fill you in on the choreography and show you how the machinery works! Please? The High Priestess will have me scrubbing the temple floors until next year's festival if I can't do the one thing she asked of me!"

He looks at you imploringly. The crowd is beginning to gather.

Dark Archive

Human Shaman~4 | HP: 28/28 | AC:16 {F:+2|R:+1|W:+8} Perception: +10 | Initiative: +8

Fate smiles slightly as he looks over at the team's only "maiden". She is going to hate this. It should be amusing to see. Fate nods his assent. "It would be an honor to assist you." He turns towards the others and adds, "Perhaps we have been presented with the means to earn our way to have an audience with the patron we seek. Much to be gained."

The Exchange

Dead Dead

Uncle Julius listens to Fate, then nods in agreement. "Not a bad idea."

Dark Archive

Human Investigator 5 (HP 38/38 | AC 17, Tch 12, FF 14 | CMD 18 | Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +5; +2 vs illusions | Init +2 | Perc +15 | Inspiration 5/5)

Mr. Graves is already looking at the contraption curiosity peaked.

"I think I can figure this out." He mutters absently. "That bit there pulls that part, this thing here adjusts the height of that..."

"Sure, I'll help." He finally says, glancing towards the priest.

"If you give me a few minutes, I could probably concoct an elixir that could make anyone look like a proper maiden... if Yndra doesn't wish the job."

Have an empty first level formula slot, so could whip up a disguise self that anyone can use. Would last nearly an hour... not sure how long this takes.

The Exchange

Dead Dead

3 Act Opera with 2 intermissions and a 12 minute song and dance routine.


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

A disguise self infusion would last long enough Mr G.

Dark Archive

Human Investigator 5 (HP 38/38 | AC 17, Tch 12, FF 14 | CMD 18 | Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +5; +2 vs illusions | Init +2 | Perc +15 | Inspiration 5/5)

Consider it an available option then, if anyone wishes to play the part of Sarenrae!

The Exchange

PFS #76925-46 Male Nagaji Paladin 1/Oracle 2 | HP:30/30| AC: 17/10/17|Init: -4| Perc: +3| Fort: +5| Ref: +1| Will: +6| Scimitar: +5;1d6+4| L.Bow: +2;1d8| CMB: +5| CMD: 15|Channel 30ft 4x/day 1d6+1
Skills:
Acro: -3| Bluff:+3| Climb: -1| Diplo: +9| E.A: -4| Fly: -4| H.A: +3| Heal: +0| Inti: +3| K.(Nob/His/Plan): +5|K.(Reli): +6| Ling:+3| Stealth: -4| Spellcraft: +1| Survival: +1|

"I can aid in working that contraption since thiss is a festival meant for the Blessed Dawn." Tsschas is more then willing to help.


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

It seems we have a consensus.

You agree to help the Sarenite initiate, Khair, to put on the traditional show.

As you may have gathered, this is a skill challenge. Your 'Sarenrae' can impress the audience by attempting an Acrobatics check to dance away from the Rovagug puppet’s attacks, a Knowledge (religion) check to precisely recite divine litanies, or a Perform (act, dance, oratory, or sing) check to charm the onlookers with her performance.

The rest of you can work together to portray Rovagug. Whoever is at the head can attempt an Acrobatics, Intimidate, Knowledge (engineering), or Perform (act or dance) check to put on an impressive display. Everyone else within the machine can attempt an aid another check using any of these skills to grant a bonus.

If you have a creative alternative skill or ability use feel free to propose it.

So who will be your Sarenrae, and who will be the head of Rovagug?

Dark Archive

Human Investigator 5 (HP 38/38 | AC 17, Tch 12, FF 14 | CMD 18 | Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +5; +2 vs illusions | Init +2 | Perc +15 | Inspiration 5/5)

Graves wouldn't mind heading up the contraption... though it will mostly be acrobatics and engineering. Suck at the Intimidate and two Perform options =)
The main issue is, that in order to aid another, you have to make the same check as the guy you're aiding... so no one would be able to help with a K: Engineering check... at least typically, not sure if this has modified rules

Not sure who's best for playing the Dawnflower... though will reitterate the option of him providing a Disguise Self elixir that will allow even the guys to crossdress for a bit. Probably won't help with the phantom, as you'd have to stay an outsider (and not sure an angry performance will be received well)... Julius' height might be an issue, as you can only gain a foot in height. Though I suppose a 4' Sarenrae would just make Rovagug look even bigger! =)

Grand Lodge

Outsider (phantom)| AC19 T11 F18 DR 5/slashing | HP 19/19 | CMD:17 | F:+4 R:+2 W:+3 | Init:+1 | Perception: +0 | usurp manifestation 2/7 | Active Effects: Ectoplasmic Form, endure elements, mage armor

"Strange tasks that being a Pathfinder leads to... I can operate the head. I've carried a war-banner before, but another is welcome to... This is far different that waving a banner.

Tem and Poe will aid with the machine. Tem has +8 intimidate but I believe others have better.

The Exchange

Dead Dead

How I benefit the Sarenite; Acrobatics is only +2, but Knowledge Religion is +10. Perform Oratory is +4, Perform Percussion is +12. If the GM will let me use Julius rhyming talent and Perform Percussion, I can totally roleplay a performance without hesitation!

How I benefit Rovagug; I have a strong Intimidate +12, and Knowledge Engineering at +10.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

You can aid with different skills in this specific challenge.

You can use Percussion if suitably roleplayed Uncle Julius :)

Dark Archive

Female Dwarf Inquisitor (Iconoclast) 4 HP 32/39 | AC 17, T 10, FF 17 | Fort +8, Ref +2, Will +8 (+3 vs poison, +5 vs spells/SLA's, +2 vs magic items) | Init +3 | Perception +10, Darkvision 60 ft. Judgement: 2/2. Spells: 1st 2/4, 2nd 2/2. Recall 2/3. Active conditions: none.

Yndra sees Fate and Mr. Graves look at her. "What?" she dares them. "Don't you think I could pull off playing a maiden?" Her right eye chooses to twitch heavily at that moment. She dabs some more sweat from her face, which is suddenly starting to show red blotches from stress. "All right, I'll admit that Sarenrae would probably have been more agile in her days, but don't think I can't wave a sword around for effect." She making some mock blows with her quarterstaff, demonstrating that she has indeed never swung an actual sword, much less a scimitar. "Fine, fine. At least I know the words! I've studied - quite extensively - the teachings of various faiths, including Sarenrae. I could make a good speech, I'm sure." Of this, she sounds more confident. And she won't stand for anyone questioning her knowledge.

"Or we could hoist Julius in a dress," she says with a thin smile. "I'm sure he'd love to be the center of attention." Yndra just might seem a little relieved not to be in the spotlight up on stage, even if she'd never admit it.

Yndra hasn't done a really good job of convincing anyone, much less herself. As a player, I'd be fine with Yndra being Sarenrae and would make the best of it. It could provide some entertainment. :) She has Knowledge religion +7, and I have a weapon of awe spell, which could be used on a scimitar for dramatic effect. But I think Julius might still be the better fit. If Yndra's on Rovagug, she has Intimidate +9 to assist. Weapon of awe might work as well here, make its jaws more fearsome and create some red glow and smoke, or something.

The Exchange

PFS #76925-46 Male Nagaji Paladin 1/Oracle 2 | HP:30/30| AC: 17/10/17|Init: -4| Perc: +3| Fort: +5| Ref: +1| Will: +6| Scimitar: +5;1d6+4| L.Bow: +2;1d8| CMB: +5| CMD: 15|Channel 30ft 4x/day 1d6+1
Skills:
Acro: -3| Bluff:+3| Climb: -1| Diplo: +9| E.A: -4| Fly: -4| H.A: +3| Heal: +0| Inti: +3| K.(Nob/His/Plan): +5|K.(Reli): +6| Ling:+3| Stealth: -4| Spellcraft: +1| Survival: +1|

"It would most helpful of youss to take on the role of Sarenae. Most of us despite magical means might have problems with portraying her." Tsschas points out.

"Also performance is not a strong suit for one with my particular disabilitiess. I'll be better served taking the lead of the others...."

The Exchange

Dead Dead

Julius takes his pipe and bats it against the back of his boot to clear it out, then stuffs it away with the rest of his collection in his vest.

"Aye, fair maiden Sarenrae I can portray. A disguise will be all that is needed, and the rest, well, I can just beat it!" Julius gives a beat to his jingle-drum.


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

So, who's your Sarenrae? Uncle Julius, or Yndra? And who's your lead actor for Rovagug?

Dark Archive

Human Shaman~4 | HP: 28/28 | AC:16 {F:+2|R:+1|W:+8} Perception: +10 | Initiative: +8

I think either option for Sarenrae opens up some great role playing possibilities.

Dark Archive

Female Dwarf Inquisitor (Iconoclast) 4 HP 32/39 | AC 17, T 10, FF 17 | Fort +8, Ref +2, Will +8 (+3 vs poison, +5 vs spells/SLA's, +2 vs magic items) | Init +3 | Perception +10, Darkvision 60 ft. Judgement: 2/2. Spells: 1st 2/4, 2nd 2/2. Recall 2/3. Active conditions: none.

In the interest of moving this along, I'll push forward Julius to play Sarenrae, and would nominate Mr. Graves to lead the group on Rovagug with his +10 Acrobatics. He was also the first to approach the contraption and demonstrated insight into its workings.

"Right, that's settled then," Yndra is eager to proclaim when Julius asserts his ability to portray Sarenrae in the performance. "Just try to be properly respectful, not just jolly. Remember, this isn't a comedy, it's an important religious event for these people." She gives the halfling a stern look.

She looks around the group. "Mr. Graves seemed to have a quick understanding of the contraption. I think he should coordinate our efforts on the beast. I will control its front claws, they should look suitable intimidating. Tsjas should maybe operate the tail? That's fitting, isn't it?"

Dark Archive

Human Investigator 5 (HP 38/38 | AC 17, Tch 12, FF 14 | CMD 18 | Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +5; +2 vs illusions | Init +2 | Perc +15 | Inspiration 5/5)

OK! Elixer of Disguise Self to Julius! Duration: 50 minutes

"Try not to touch anyone." He adds. "You'll still feel like you.... and your voice will be the same. Hopefully you can modulate it a bit."


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

With the lead roles settled, the priest hands Uncle Julius a costume complete with a painted wooden sword. A deep frown creases his brow: "I hope you know what you're doing."

He then shows the rest of you into the Rovagug-machine.

"Ahem. Ladies and Gentlemen, Pilgrims of all ages, it is noon on the Summer Solstice - and it is time to bear witness! I present - our divine Lady Sarenrae oh Goddess help me in terrible battle with Rovagug the Rough Beast!"

The cleric introduces the scene, and the crowd look on expectantly...

Go ahead and post your skill checks with appropriate descriptions. Bonuses for roleplay :)

Grand Lodge

Outsider (phantom)| AC19 T11 F18 DR 5/slashing | HP 19/19 | CMD:17 | F:+4 R:+2 W:+3 | Init:+1 | Perception: +0 | usurp manifestation 2/7 | Active Effects: Ectoplasmic Form, endure elements, mage armor

Taking a turn with the back claws Tem moves the back feet in big heavy movements, mimicking great warbeasts he had heard of but never seen.

intimidate: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

1 to 50 of 331 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PFS] GM supervillan's 9-01 High Cost of Enlightenment All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.