GM Lorenzo's PFS-Sanctioned Module: Gallows of Madness

Game Master Lawrence Smith 2

Maps, Handouts, and More!


251 to 300 of 725 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
The Concordance

Male Hawk N Tiny magical beast (animal) Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +14 AC 16, touch 15, flat-footed 13 (+3 Dex, +1 natural, +2 size) hp 7 Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +5

Tydyn will do as Annea asks... but the hawk is unhappy about being left behind... even it is only a few feet away.

The Exchange

Male N Human (Mwangi) Shifter (Adaptive Shifter) 2 | HP 19/20 | AC 16 Touch 16 Flat Footed 13 | CMB +4, CMD 20 | Fort: +4, Ref: +6, Will: +4 | Init: +4| Perc: +8 | Speed 30ft | Reactive Aspect: 3/8 | Active Forms: None. |

As the door opens and a faint hint of odor hits the party you see a small change come upon Quinn’s nose, to something more lizard like, for a brief moment
Immediate action activate Adaptive Defense to get Wis bonus to any save.

Fortitude Save: 1d20 + 3 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 + 3 = 9

”Wow, that reminds me of a shoveling zoo dung during a Katapesh summer." Quinn starts but then begins to gag on his vomit. "Even now that smell makes me retch!”

Quinn quickly puts his hand over his mouth and nose to try and help with the stench as he quickly looks about the room.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

But the young man makes it one step into the room before he blows chunks all over and barely notices the contents of the room.

Sovereign Court

Male LN Gnome Kineticist 1 | HP: 12/13| AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: -4, CMD: 9 | F: +6, R: +5, W: +0 | Init: +4 | Perc: +4, Stealth: +11 | Speed 20ft | Burn 0/7 | Gnome Magic 1/1 | Fey Fortitude +2 vs Death Effects | Nosophobia +4 vs Disease/Poison | Bond to the Land +2 Dodge AC in Urban Terrain | Illusion Resistance: +2 vs Illusion Effects

As the gnome squeezes in to look around.. His face goes white at the sight, and begins too...

Fort Save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

Breath a little heavier, but is fine as he begins to investigate around the room.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

"My word... It might smell in here, but it is a MESS, I mean.... LOOK AT THIS PLACE! Gosh I don't think I will be able to find ANYTHING in here!"

Grand Lodge

The Hao Jin Cataclysm | Gallows of Madness

Almost everyone is sickened by the foul stench wafting off the large bowl filled with chewed and spat-out food floating in thick, bloody water in the sink.

A search of the ransacked kitchen and pantry doesn't turn up anything of further interest.

It takes a minute, but eventually your stomachs settle, and then you proceed cautiously up the stairs.

The second floor is quiet, a T-shaped hallway with three closed doors.

Map & Images

Which door first? Rule of Two.

Grand Lodge

Male AC:14 (T:14) (FF:11) | F:6 R:5 W:4 |HP:22/22 | Per. +8 Half-Elf Ki Mystic Monk 2

Fortitude Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

When the smell of the room hits Bellisir's nostrils, it's all he can do to keep from gagging as his face turns a pale, sickly color. Ever stoic, he backs out of the kitchen and nonchalantly walks over to the window through which the group gained access to the house. Once there, he leans over the window sill like a sailor leaning over the rail of a galleon ship and empties the contents of his stomach out onto the ground below.

After retching, he stands up and wipes his mouth with the back of his hand. He staggers a little as he rejoins the group. When the party ascends the stairs to the upper floor, the monk has to use a hand to brace himself against the stairwell wall as he concentrates on putting one foot in front of the other.

With his focus, the half-elf doesn't even notice that he's moved out in front of everyone else. He sees a door to his left at the end of the big hallway and a smaller hallway to his right with a door on each side.

"We should check the door in this hallway first," he suggests, his voice low but sounding oddly strained.

Depending on which direction the group decides to go, Bellisir will listen at the first door they decide to check to see if he can hear anything on the other side.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Comment: The dice have been trying to kill me the last two days.

The Concordance

HP: 24/24 l AC: 15, T 13, FF 13 l CMD 13 l F +5, R +5, W +4 l Seedpods (8/8), L1: 2/4 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +9, Darkvision 60 ft., Low-Light Vision
Skills:
Diplomacy +7, Heal +9, Kn. Arcana +6, Kn. Nature +7, Profession: Herbalist +9
Female NG Vine Leshy Alchemist (Herbalist) 3 l Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Lucky #4

Fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

"Ewwwwwwwwwwwww!"

Even Soddy is affected by the sights and the smells inside the kitchen, quickly backing out of the room. You'd think that if it were possible for her to turn even greener, she should.

"Disgusting! Maybe it was good that Garlmak didn't surrender..."

Once the group finally files upstairs, Soddy begins to feel a little bit better again and looks around warily.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

"That makes sense," she nods to Bellisir. "Take one at a time!"

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 25/25 | AC 18, T 12, F 16 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +6, R +6, W +3 | Init. +4 | Percep +6, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 20ft | Active Conditions: none

“I think we should try the door to the western room beside the staircase first.”

Gervase moves up to the door to check for traps and threats inside. “Is this the one you meant, Bellisir?”

take 10 perception: 10 + 6 = 16

“I don’t like the idea of opening one door in the narrow corridor, and then having the other one open -- leaving one 'front' person to face Garlmak’s pets in such a confined space.”

The Concordance

CG Human (Varisian),Init +2; Perc +3 (+6 in bright light) Level -2 Witch (hex channeler) AC 12, touch 11, flat-footed 11 (+1 armor, +1 Dex) hp 14 Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4; +1 trait bonus vs. charm and compulsion

Annea nods at Gervase's suggestion- obviously impressed with her tactical knowledge, "That's a really good idea... have you done a lot of adventuring before? It sure seems like you have."

Annea will position herself at the rear of group, renewing her light spell before the group enters the room. Casting light on her dagger and holding it above her head like a torch.

"Just remember, I have to be able to touch you in order to invoke the blessing of the Goddess upon you if you are wounded."

Annea's face is a mercurial mix of fear and excitement.

Taking a deep breath...

"Blessed be."

RULE OF TWO- Annea votes for western door.

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 25/25 | AC 18, T 12, F 16 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +6, R +6, W +3 | Init. +4 | Percep +6, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 20ft | Active Conditions: none

“Well, I did have the opportunity to visit a Rahadoumi auction on Society business recently. I had been told a lot of horror stories about the country, but I had fun!”

Gervase smiles. “Didn’t hurt that the VC-in-charge was great.” ;)

“In truth most of my knowledge is book learning, Annea. My father is a big tactical wargamer, but I don’t know how much of that transfers over to the real world.”

Grand Lodge

The Hao Jin Cataclysm | Gallows of Madness

C4. Storeroom and Washroom

Soddy doesn't see anything in the halls upstairs, and Bellisir doesn't hear anything inside. Gervase doesn't detect any traps on the door or hear anything either.

Annea hangs back, keeping her light spell active on her dagger, and illuminating the room once everyone's inside.

The shelves in this storeroom have been ripped off the wall and lie in a heap on the floor, along with their now-wrecked former contents—bloody linens, a broken broom, and other ruined household supplies.

Past the storeroom is a tidy washroom that appears oddly untouched by the surrounding messy chaos.

Taking point, Bellisir enters the washroom. As soon as he steps inside, the mirror falls off the wall, revealing a nasty, scrawled message written in blood in a childlike hand: 'You know nothing! You ruined everything! Your friends hate you! I HATE YOU!'

The monk realizes that this message likely represents the homunculus's own deep-seated feelings toward himself.

You find nothing else of interest in either the storeroom or the washroom.

Which door next? Rule of Two.

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 25/25 | AC 18, T 12, F 16 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +6, R +6, W +3 | Init. +4 | Percep +6, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 20ft | Active Conditions: none

“I think we should try the closest door first. We’d get trapped in the corridor if we tried the farthest door, and the nearest door opened.”

Gervase peers down the corridor and thinks. “We know Garlmak liked traps. We should check the corridor and the first door for traps before we open it.”

“Also, if Bellisir and Quinn go through the door first, I can station myself to watch the other door while everyone goes inside.”

“Soddy, what do you think about placing marbles in front of the second door to potentially slow anything coming out of there while we’re in the first room(s)?”

take 10 perception: 10 + 6 = 16

The Exchange

Male N Human (Mwangi) Shifter (Adaptive Shifter) 2 | HP 19/20 | AC 16 Touch 16 Flat Footed 13 | CMB +4, CMD 20 | Fort: +4, Ref: +6, Will: +4 | Init: +4| Perc: +8 | Speed 30ft | Reactive Aspect: 3/8 | Active Forms: None. |

”That sounds like a good plan to me Gervase.”

Quinn moves down the hallway to be next to Bellisir when he opens the door. Before the door is opened Quinn puts his ear up to it to listen for movement.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

”Okay, I am ready and in position,” Quinn whispers

The Concordance

HP: 24/24 l AC: 15, T 13, FF 13 l CMD 13 l F +5, R +5, W +4 l Seedpods (8/8), L1: 2/4 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +9, Darkvision 60 ft., Low-Light Vision
Skills:
Diplomacy +7, Heal +9, Kn. Arcana +6, Kn. Nature +7, Profession: Herbalist +9
Female NG Vine Leshy Alchemist (Herbalist) 3 l Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Lucky #4

"Can do!"

Soddy toddles over to the second door that's farther up the hallway and, presuming nothing leaps out at her, begins to place marbles on the floor in front of it. Her task done, she rejoins the group, hanging near the back of the pack.

"Who would have thought marbles had so many uses? I just bought them because I like pretty stones."

The Concordance

CG Human (Varisian),Init +2; Perc +3 (+6 in bright light) Level -2 Witch (hex channeler) AC 12, touch 11, flat-footed 11 (+1 armor, +1 Dex) hp 14 Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4; +1 trait bonus vs. charm and compulsion

"Again, I will follow behind, in case you need any healing."

Annea follows behind her companions renewing her light spell as necessary to maintain proper illumination.

"I also want to inform you that if we come across any 'people' we need to bypass or otherwise influence in our favor... I do have some magic that could help with that... just let me know first... and please don't attack them before giving me a chance to try."

Grand Lodge

The Hao Jin Cataclysm | Gallows of Madness

C6. Master Bedroom

At Gervase's urging, Soddy Daisy places her bag of marbles before the easternmost door, a hasty obstacle that might slow down anyone or anything entering the hallway from the room behind the closed door.

Bellisir and Gervase hear nothing on the other side of the closest door, so Bellisir opens it.

Annea continues to illuminate your search from the rear of the formation.

This large bedroom is full of upturned furniture and decorations knocked from the shelves and walls. Every painting has been smashed from its frame and torn to pieces. Sitting on the otherwise-undisturbed master bed is a single journal.

The journal belongs to Gellion’s mother. Its contents are quite mundane—simply a record of the family’s life from day to day—but every page has the message 'Our
son is an awful disappointment
' written over it in blood, in the same childlike handwriting as that behind the mirror in the washroom, obviously Garlmak’s doing as well.

After spending several minutes looking over the journal, you discover in the most recent entries that Beldonna was concerned about her son’s well-being: he was spending too much time on his experiments, was not eating well, and seemed distant from his friends and parents.

One more door...

The Concordance

CG Human (Varisian),Init +2; Perc +3 (+6 in bright light) Level -2 Witch (hex channeler) AC 12, touch 11, flat-footed 11 (+1 armor, +1 Dex) hp 14 Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4; +1 trait bonus vs. charm and compulsion

"Oh my goodness... I am so glad that we killed that creature,"

Annea will attempt to peice together the journal's contents.

The Concordance

HP: 24/24 l AC: 15, T 13, FF 13 l CMD 13 l F +5, R +5, W +4 l Seedpods (8/8), L1: 2/4 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +9, Darkvision 60 ft., Low-Light Vision
Skills:
Diplomacy +7, Heal +9, Kn. Arcana +6, Kn. Nature +7, Profession: Herbalist +9
Female NG Vine Leshy Alchemist (Herbalist) 3 l Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Lucky #4

"This is strange. No one else has said anything about Sprout Gellion conducting experiments on his own time," Soddy remarks as the group pore over the journal. "Or seeming ill. Or being distant from the other sprouts. At least not that I remember."

She turns her attention towards the remaining door and carefully moves to retrieve her marbles. While she's right there outside the door, she can't help but try to have a listen...

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

...before falling back to rejoin her companions.

"Only one room left. It must be Sprout Gellion's so maybe we'll find some answers there. But be careful when you open the door, okay?" Soddy states, tugging on both Gervase and Bellisir's sleeves for emphasis.

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 25/25 | AC 18, T 12, F 16 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +6, R +6, W +3 | Init. +4 | Percep +6, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 20ft | Active Conditions: none

“Could Gellion have some kind of split-personality?”

Gervase shrugs and heads back to the end of the hallway. “Gotcha, Soddy.”

take 10 perception for traps or threats inside: 10 + 6 = 16

With her longspear pointed in the direction she intends to advance and the wayfinder at her hip *glowing* with light, the ranger waits for Bellisir and Quinn to open the door.

The Exchange

Male N Human (Mwangi) Shifter (Adaptive Shifter) 2 | HP 19/20 | AC 16 Touch 16 Flat Footed 13 | CMB +4, CMD 20 | Fort: +4, Ref: +6, Will: +4 | Init: +4| Perc: +8 | Speed 30ft | Reactive Aspect: 3/8 | Active Forms: None. |

With just one door left to open, Quinn is starting to get excited. The young man however takes a deep breath to help focus himself and moves up to the door to listen inside.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

After listening at the door, he moves behind Bellisir to be ready when the door is opened by the monk.

”We still haven’t found out what happened to his parents,” Quinn begins quietly. ”If this room is as bad as the Kitchen I will try and do better than downstairs.

Grand Lodge

Male AC:14 (T:14) (FF:11) | F:6 R:5 W:4 |HP:22/22 | Per. +8 Half-Elf Ki Mystic Monk 2

"This is the only door that remains," Bellisir states, pointing what should already be obvious. He moves his way through the group to stand in front of the door. Before he opens it, he looks around. "Do we wish to draw it out into the hallway and surround it? If so, everyone behind me needs to back up a bit so I will not block the doorway."

Bellisir will wait until everyone except Gervase moves or if the group wants to opt for the direct approach and charge in like gangbusters.

"Get ready," the monk cautions to everyone. With a stoic look on his face, he takes a deep breath and opens the door and either steps back down the hallway or enters the room, looking for an enemy.

The Concordance

HP: 24/24 l AC: 15, T 13, FF 13 l CMD 13 l F +5, R +5, W +4 l Seedpods (8/8), L1: 2/4 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +9, Darkvision 60 ft., Low-Light Vision
Skills:
Diplomacy +7, Heal +9, Kn. Arcana +6, Kn. Nature +7, Profession: Herbalist +9
Female NG Vine Leshy Alchemist (Herbalist) 3 l Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Lucky #4

"Ooh, good point. Okay, I'll move back," Soddy nods and backs up a bit, back to the open landing. "You and Gervase and Quinn should be in front anyway since you seem less squishy!"

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 25/25 | AC 18, T 12, F 16 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +6, R +6, W +3 | Init. +4 | Percep +6, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 20ft | Active Conditions: none

"Sounds good, Bellisir."

Gervase tightens the grip on her longspear. "Ready here."

Grand Lodge

The Hao Jin Cataclysm | Gallows of Madness

C5. Gellion’s Room

Soddy Daisy retrieves her marbles, and you listen at the door and check for traps, but hear and see nothing extraordinary.

Once everyone is set in their chosen position, Bellisir opens the door.

This small room contains a simple bed, desk, and chair. Thick webs cover the west end of the room, where the bed sits—and two humanoid forms appear trapped within. A 5-foot-by-10-foot square of sticky, purplish-black strands of demon bile cling to the desk and chair on the east side of the room, except in one spot where the strange filaments have left a clear space around a small piece of metal.

In the dim light provided by Annea's spell, Bellisir sees a spider the size of a man crawl silently from the depths of its funnel-shaped web between the south wall of the room and the web-covered bed.

Before the monk can react, the giant spider points its spinnerets at him and launches a web at the half-elf.
RT attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

By some miracle, the web misses Bellisir, adhering to the wall next to him with a loud *splat*.

Once you can see into the room, Knowledge (planes) DC11:
This is a fiendish giant spider. For every 5 you exceed the DC, you may ask one question from this list.

Initiative:

Kyklónas: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Soddy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Gervase: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Bellisir: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Quinn: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Annea: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Tyndyn Hawk: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Spider?: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19

Map & Images

Round 1
Bold
may act.

Spider
---
Bellisir
Quinn
Gervase
Soddy Daisy
Annea & Tyndyn
Kyklóna

Everybody, you're up!

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 25/25 | AC 18, T 12, F 16 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +6, R +6, W +3 | Init. +4 | Percep +6, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 20ft | Active Conditions: none

Round #1: AC 18

“At least it’s not undead Mom and Dad.”

Gervase doesn’t hesitate. She rushes past Bellisir 15’ to engage spidey with her longspear.

longspear + PA: 1d20 + 6 - 1 ⇒ (19) + 6 - 1 = 24
piercing damage: 1d8 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 6 + 3 = 10

The Exchange

Male N Human (Mwangi) Shifter (Adaptive Shifter) 2 | HP 19/20 | AC 16 Touch 16 Flat Footed 13 | CMB +4, CMD 20 | Fort: +4, Ref: +6, Will: +4 | Init: +4| Perc: +8 | Speed 30ft | Reactive Aspect: 3/8 | Active Forms: None. |

Quinn appears slightly relieved when it appears to be a spider and not humanoid.

”Again with the large insects, does anybody see any of that black slime?”

Quinn rushes into the room adjacent move action to the spider and takes a swipe at it with his claws. melee attack action

Claws: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Claws (pierce/slash): 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Possible crit

Claws roll to confirm critical: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Claws critical damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

The Concordance

CG Human (Varisian),Init +2; Perc +3 (+6 in bright light) Level -2 Witch (hex channeler) AC 12, touch 11, flat-footed 11 (+1 armor, +1 Dex) hp 14 Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4; +1 trait bonus vs. charm and compulsion

Knowledge (planes): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

"Oh my goodness! Look out its a FIENDISH spider!"

Annea will delay until someone needs healing or she can see some other way find herself useful.

Grand Lodge

The Hao Jin Cataclysm | Gallows of Madness

Gervase rushes into the room, and stepping dangerously near the demon bile, she impales the fiendish giant spider on her longspear.

Quinn follows the witch into the bedchamber, and with a swipe of his claw, the shifter severs the creature's chelicerae from its cephalothorax. The spider tumbles onto its back, its eight legs curling as it dies.

Victory!

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 25/25 | AC 18, T 12, F 16 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +6, R +6, W +3 | Init. +4 | Percep +6, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 20ft | Active Conditions: none

“You da man, Quinn!”

Gervase pauses for a moment to *bump* fists with the Shifter and Bellisir.

She then draws the cold iron morningstar and attempts to ‘rub out’ any demon slime she spots, making it safe for everyone to enter. “Gotta admit, I was expecting a wizard’s lab type setup.”

“This is fairly normal teen male –– apart from the giant Abyssal spider of course.”

take 10 perception: 10 + 6 = 16

“What’s that bit of metal the webby filaments don’t like? Is it more cold iron?”

The Concordance

HP: 24/24 l AC: 15, T 13, FF 13 l CMD 13 l F +5, R +5, W +4 l Seedpods (8/8), L1: 2/4 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +9, Darkvision 60 ft., Low-Light Vision
Skills:
Diplomacy +7, Heal +9, Kn. Arcana +6, Kn. Nature +7, Profession: Herbalist +9
Female NG Vine Leshy Alchemist (Herbalist) 3 l Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Lucky #4

Soddy trundles forward into the room and makes for where the two humanoid forms can be seen in the depths of the web. "Fire would clear the webs. It would also burn the home down."

"Cold iron? I have a dagger of cold iron," she continues in response to Gervase, drawing said dagger. "I will try and see if it works!"

And she'll attempt to start cutting through the webbing with it, if she can.

Grand Lodge

The Hao Jin Cataclysm | Gallows of Madness

Gervase searches the room.

A cold iron arrowhead sits in the center of the space free of the massive mound of demon’s bile.

She finds some scribbled notes on the desk underneath the vile corruption. They read, 'Adverse reaction to cold iron. What about magic? Fire? Cold? Further trials are required.'

A small chest next to the desk contains six flasks of acid, two flasks of alchemist’s fire, two tanglefoot bags and several vials, all labeled: a potion of remove disease, a potion of lesser restoration, and three potions of cure light wounds.

The fearless Soddy Daisy marches past her companions who still stand in the short hallway, brushes past the shifter near the door, and moves to the bed.

She tells Gervase all that the team has learned about demon's bile.

Demon’s Bile:

The demon’s bile is a unique Abyssal substance that can act as an ingested disease as well as a special environmental hazard, depending on the circumstance. The following details describe the demon’s bile hazard and disease, respectively.

Demon’s bile is biological in nature, and if left in an open area unchecked, even a small amount of it can begin growing until, in 1 to 4 months, the substance takes up a 10-foot-by-10-foot area of filth.
Demon’s bile that covers an area of that size or larger then begins growing in earnest, expanding at a rate of about 5 feet per day. Demon’s bile attracts vermin, and those that wallow in it (as well as some other creatures exposed to it) often grow in size, gain the fiendish template, or both.
Additionally, demon’s bile that covers a 10-foot-by-10-foot area or greater has a 50% chance to spew forth fiendish vermin every 1 to 4 days.
Any good-aligned damage, damage from cold iron weapons, or positive energy damage applied to any 5-foot square of bile destroys it.

Additionally, anyone who ingests demon’s bile is exposed to the following disease.
DEMON’S BILE
Type disease, ingested; Save Fortitude DC 18
Onset 1d4 days; Frequency 1/day
Effect 1 Wisdom damage, gain 1 Strength, shift one alignment step toward chaotic evil, see below; Cure 2 consecutive saves
Special In addition to suffering the effects above, creatures under the effects of the demon’s bile disease hear a constant buzzing in their heads that, along with their shifting alignment, prompts them to undertake tasks that most would consider madness. This madness manifests in different ways for each creature, but it often involves delusions.

The demon’s bile comes across as the will of the Abyss made manifest.

As Soddy Daisy speaks, she saws through the webbing and reveals the two unconscious figures. Gellion’s parents are both suffering from numerous spider bites.

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 25/25 | AC 18, T 12, F 16 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +6, R +6, W +3 | Init. +4 | Percep +6, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 20ft | Active Conditions: none
Scribbled notes wrote:
‘Adverse reaction to cold iron. What about magic? Fire? Cold? Further trials are required.’

Gervase passes the note on to Quinn. I’m getting a weird Sorcerer’s Apprentice vibe from this situation.

She then hands her CLW wand to Soddy as the two unconscious forms are released from the web cocoons.

“Are Mr and Mrs Vazarro still alive, Soddy? If we want to save the healing potions, by all means use my wand to bring them around.”

The dive-ranger listens carefully to the explanation of demon bile, but is afraid of messing things up.

“Annea, do you want me to destroy the demon slobber with the cold iron morningstar to save your resources?”

“Will I end up leaving dents in the walls and floor and demolishing the furniture? If I do, does it really matter?”

The Concordance

HP: 24/24 l AC: 15, T 13, FF 13 l CMD 13 l F +5, R +5, W +4 l Seedpods (8/8), L1: 2/4 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +9, Darkvision 60 ft., Low-Light Vision
Skills:
Diplomacy +7, Heal +9, Kn. Arcana +6, Kn. Nature +7, Profession: Herbalist +9
Female NG Vine Leshy Alchemist (Herbalist) 3 l Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Lucky #4

"Oh! Sprout Gellion's parents are alive!"

Soddy finishes cutting the pair free and does what she can to lay them down on the floor, clear of the demon bile.

"Lots of spider bites..." she remarks, a frown in her tone. "I don't have any antitoxin on me but maybe I can still help them fight off the poison if Annea wants to use her magical hair to heal them!"

Heal Check #1: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Heal Check #2: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

And if Annea's hair happens to have run out of juice for the day Soddy will make use of Gervase's wand to bring the man and woman around.

Grand Lodge

Male AC:14 (T:14) (FF:11) | F:6 R:5 W:4 |HP:22/22 | Per. +8 Half-Elf Ki Mystic Monk 2

Bellisir steps into the room, standing just back of Soddy and Annea, letting them take what medicinal steps they need to help the couple trapped in the web.

"If they are poisoned and none among us have a solution for it, we should take them to the temple. High Priest Ruvarra could help them."

Sovereign Court

Male LN Gnome Kineticist 1 | HP: 12/13| AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: -4, CMD: 9 | F: +6, R: +5, W: +0 | Init: +4 | Perc: +4, Stealth: +11 | Speed 20ft | Burn 0/7 | Gnome Magic 1/1 | Fey Fortitude +2 vs Death Effects | Nosophobia +4 vs Disease/Poison | Bond to the Land +2 Dodge AC in Urban Terrain | Illusion Resistance: +2 vs Illusion Effects

He will come up after the group, only to find that there is a dead spider in the room, and two people hurt. "Are they alright? I am not good with that healing thing you all do, but we can't leave poor citizens like this."

Sorry for being away for so long. Vacation + Con does that lol. Though I did retire my sorcerer at Play-On Con.

Grand Lodge

The Hao Jin Cataclysm | Gallows of Madness

With several blows of the cold iron morningstar, Gervase destroys the large volume of demon's bile.

Realizing Gellion's parents are still alive, Soddy Daisy uses two charges of Gervase's wand of cure light wounds to heal the spider bites, but the couple remains unconscious. She determines they also suffer from significant damage to their strength.

Bellisir suggests you take the unconscious couple to the Temple of Erastil and seek the aid of the head priest Ildris Ruvarra. Lacking the skill to treat them himself, Kyklónas concurs.

I'll advance play further in a bit.

Grand Lodge

The Hao Jin Cataclysm | Gallows of Madness

6. Temple of Erastil

"Oh, dear," says Ildris Ruvarra at the church of Erastil. "Please, help me get these poor folks onto some available cots. Tell me what happened."

You describe the course of your investigation into the missing apprentices, the demon's bile and fiendish giant fire beetle and ant vermin you encountered at the orchard and at the graveyard, and how everything led you to the home of the missing Gellion, where you saved Altius and Beldonna Vazarro from a misshapen homunculus and a fiendish giant spider and found even more demon's bile in Gellion's bedroom.

"Oh, my, it's even worse than I feared. Look, why don't you all get some rest," the head priest suggests, but still worried that you haven't found his adopted daughter and apprentice Nolaria Wintren. "Don't worry about Altius and Beldonna. I'll take care of them. Come back tomorrow morning, and they should both be fit to answer any questions you have."

~*~

10. Witch's End Tavern

After a night's rest and recovery, you rise for quick breakfast. The locals and a few other visitors give you a wide berth, hoping to avoid guilt and suspicion by association with obvious strangers like yourselves. Alcie Kruptin is her usual imposing self, still in a foul mood over her own missing apprentice, Morvinarr Albusin, and none too pleased that you haven't yet found him.

The innkeeper serves you a breakfast of porridge and scrambled eggs, garnished with some spiced sausage. Asking for anything else garners you a stern look.

"Best be off now, outlanders. Finish your investigation, but don't leave town without paying your tab, mind you."

Grand Lodge

The Hao Jin Cataclysm | Gallows of Madness

6. Temple of Erastil

You return to the temple, and Ildris Ruvarra leads you to the Vazarros, conscious now but still weakened.

"Altius and Beldonna, these are the outlanders who rescued you last night and brought you here. You owe them your lives," says the head priest of Erastil. "By the Stag God, you better answer any questions they have."

Ildris turns to you. "Don't tax their strength too much, but ask what you will."

Grand Lodge

Male AC:14 (T:14) (FF:11) | F:6 R:5 W:4 |HP:22/22 | Per. +8 Half-Elf Ki Mystic Monk 2

"Altius and Beldonna," Bellisir says, his voice warm with compassion. "I am Bellisir. It is nice to meet the two of you and my companions and I wish for both of you to have a quick and full recovery," he says.

He takes a seat next to where the couple are convalescing. "What I am about to convey is not good. Your son Gellion has gone missing. So have his friends. Mayor Trinelli asked us to look into their disappearance. Our inquiries led us to your home. We found you in distress and brought you here," he said, giving a quick summary of the group's investigation.

"We think that missing youths stumbled upon something that they weren't supposed to find," he states. "Was there anything unusual about the way he was acting when you last saw him?"

Grand Lodge

The Hao Jin Cataclysm | Gallows of Madness

Altius and Beldonna struggle to sit up in their cots, wiping their red-rimmed eyes and running hands through their disheveled hair.

At Bellisir's question, Altius exchanges a glance with Beldonna.

"Gellion has been acting quite oddly lately," Beldonna says. "He's consumed by some sort of strange alchemical experiments."

"We recently heard him ranting about a warehouse, and I saw him heading in the direction of our acquaintance Marcuccio Bravoni’s warehouse with one of his friends, Morvinarr," Altius says.

"The tavern-keeper’s apprentice appeared quite drunk, which I found unusual," Beldonna adds. "I thought he was straight-edge, a teetotaler."

"When we went to confront Gellion after we heard a terrible racket in his room, we discovered the spiders within, along with a horrible little blood-stained man not much smaller than her there," Altius points at Soddy Daisy.

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 25/25 | AC 18, T 12, F 16 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +6, R +6, W +3 | Init. +4 | Percep +6, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 20ft | Active Conditions: none
Alcie Kruptin wrote:
"Best be off now, outlanders. Finish your investigation, but don't leave town without paying your tab, mind you."

“Yes, ma’am. Thank-you for breakfast and I wish you a pleasant day.”

Gervase wipes her mouth daintily and rises. “And there’s no need to worry about gold flow. An Andoran always pays her debts.”

Beldonna Vazarro wrote:
“… Marcuccio Bravoni …”

That name sounds Chelish. Well, I suppose we are in Isger.

“Man, you are good at this, Bellisir! Have you come across Signor Bravoni before, Pathfinders? What’s he like?”

Altius Vazarro pointed and wrote:
“… a horrible little blood-stained man not much smaller than her there,” Altius points at Soddy Daisy.

“Welp, there's an idea for your next Night of the Pale costume, Soddy.”

Gervase pats Papa Vazarro’s hand. “You don’t have to worry about that thing anymore, signor. But it did trap the southern bookshelf in your ground floor sitting room.”

“So pleeease have a locksmith or trapper deal with it before you begin tidying up. Meanwhile, it seems we have a warehouse to investigate.”

Grand Lodge

The Hao Jin Cataclysm | Gallows of Madness

Gellion’s parents give you clear directions to the abandoned warehouse that Gellion referred to in his mad ravings.

Having learned what you can from the Vazarros, and with a new lead to pursue at the warehouse, Ildris Ruvarra escorts you to the door of the temple. Mayor Sandra Trinelli meets you as you're taking your leave of the priest.

"Thank you for your assistance, Ildris. Here's 50 gold. Consider it a donation toward any healing this group of outlanders might require."

The priest accepts the contribution with a nod and returns to his parishioners.

~*~

The mayor walks with you some distance from the temple and asks what you've discovered so far.

When she learns that your next stop is an abandoned warehouse near the Conerica Docks, she promises, "I'll have my guards clear the streets nearby on some innocuous pretext, so that no innocents are harmed in any conflict that occurs."

Anything else, or proceed to the abandoned warehouse?

The Concordance

HP: 24/24 l AC: 15, T 13, FF 13 l CMD 13 l F +5, R +5, W +4 l Seedpods (8/8), L1: 2/4 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +9, Darkvision 60 ft., Low-Light Vision
Skills:
Diplomacy +7, Heal +9, Kn. Arcana +6, Kn. Nature +7, Profession: Herbalist +9
Female NG Vine Leshy Alchemist (Herbalist) 3 l Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Lucky #4

Soddy tugs at the mayor's sleeve. "Who is Marcuccio Bravoni? What does he do? I think Sprout Gellion's parents were still a bit foggy in the head and missed when Gervase asked about him."

Grand Lodge

The Hao Jin Cataclysm | Gallows of Madness

The mayor looks down at Soddy Daisy. "Marcuccio Bravoni’s warehouse once stored all manner of mundane supplies and trade goods, but it's abandoned now. He up and took off about a month ago. I expect he's looking to purchase more wares and transport them here for his business."

The Concordance

HP: 24/24 l AC: 15, T 13, FF 13 l CMD 13 l F +5, R +5, W +4 l Seedpods (8/8), L1: 2/4 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +9, Darkvision 60 ft., Low-Light Vision
Skills:
Diplomacy +7, Heal +9, Kn. Arcana +6, Kn. Nature +7, Profession: Herbalist +9
Female NG Vine Leshy Alchemist (Herbalist) 3 l Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Lucky #4

"Oh. Then maybe that is why Sprout Gellion decided to use it, because Marcuccio Bravoni is away. Good to know!"

She looks to her companions. "Do we need anything before we go? I don't think I do. I think I'm ready to go if everyone else is!"

The Concordance

CG Human (Varisian),Init +2; Perc +3 (+6 in bright light) Level -2 Witch (hex channeler) AC 12, touch 11, flat-footed 11 (+1 armor, +1 Dex) hp 14 Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4; +1 trait bonus vs. charm and compulsion

"It looks like we are nearing the answer to this investigation. I fear this will end in some form of violence."

Annea begins preparing her equipment and getting ready for the upcoming investigation at the warehouse.

Annea turns to Soddy,"I am ready."

Annea will cast Mage Armor (from a scroll) as she nears the warehouse.

"I know I have already said this, but I can heal your wounds only if I can get to you... if there is a fight, I will be behind you... just let me know if you are wounded and need help... if we are attacked."

"Blessed be..."

The Exchange

Male N Human (Mwangi) Shifter (Adaptive Shifter) 2 | HP 19/20 | AC 16 Touch 16 Flat Footed 13 | CMB +4, CMD 20 | Fort: +4, Ref: +6, Will: +4 | Init: +4| Perc: +8 | Speed 30ft | Reactive Aspect: 3/8 | Active Forms: None. |

Quinn has been oddly quiet since the discovery of the injured parents. But discovering that they will make a full recovery in time seems to put the young man at ease and he begins to show signs of ‘perking’ up.

Wow, what kind of relationship did Gellion and his parents have if he seemingly left them at the mercy of that terrible spider

”Well that night of sleep did help, but our best lead is pointing to this warehouse and I suggest we don’t waste too much time getting there.” Quinn begins hopping in place seemingly full of energy ready to begin the day. ”Oh, how much cold iron do we have in this party? Would it be okay if I were to carry that arrowhead we found yesterday?”

I wonder what could have changed Gellion so much…

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Human Ranger (Abendego diver) 2 | HP 25/25 | AC 18, T 12, F 16 | CMB +6, CMD 18 | F +6, R +6, W +3 | Init. +4 | Percep +6, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 20ft | Active Conditions: none

"It's OK with me, Quinn. I also have a cold iron dagger and spiked gauntlet if you'd like one of those as well."

The shifter's enquiries jog Gervase's memory. "Did someone mention you guys had found a high-end sap before I joined you?"

"Do you mind if I carry that? If any of the kids are ... out of control ... the option to knock them out might be handy."

Sovereign Court

Male LN Gnome Kineticist 1 | HP: 12/13| AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: -4, CMD: 9 | F: +6, R: +5, W: +0 | Init: +4 | Perc: +4, Stealth: +11 | Speed 20ft | Burn 0/7 | Gnome Magic 1/1 | Fey Fortitude +2 vs Death Effects | Nosophobia +4 vs Disease/Poison | Bond to the Land +2 Dodge AC in Urban Terrain | Illusion Resistance: +2 vs Illusion Effects

He will walk behind his team, keeping a close eye out for any thing else that may have been mutated by the bile. "Well, I think that might be a good idea. Can't have the little ones being brought back in a coffin now can we? I will try to only hit things that aren't him, so I don't accidentally kill him."

Grand Lodge

Male AC:14 (T:14) (FF:11) | F:6 R:5 W:4 |HP:22/22 | Per. +8 Half-Elf Ki Mystic Monk 2

"My Uncle Fu once told me that the right words can break through one's current fears in life. Finding the right words..." the half-elf trails off as he speaks to Gervase. "Finding them is never easy because no two people are the same, nor are their fears."

When the question of cold iron is brought up, Bellisir shakes his head. "I have none. One day, there may come a time in my life's journey where I reach a standard of enlightenment where my body can achieve the attunement of cold iron, but that day is not one that soon approaches. It requires much more study."

"I am ready to go see what we may discover at this warehouse," the monk says. "We are now closer to finding the missing apprentices."

Grand Lodge

The Hao Jin Cataclysm | Gallows of Madness

GM Screen:
Perception vs Stealth, Invisible DC53 1d20 + 16 + 20 ⇒ (17) + 16 + 20 = 53
Kyklónas: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Soddy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Gervase: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Bellisir: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Quinn: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Annea: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4(+3 in bright light)
Tyndyn Hawk: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (19) + 14 = 33

True to the mayor’s word, the streets surrounding the warehouse district are clear. An eerie quiet has settled over the neighborhood. The abandoned warehouse lies several blocks away.

The low sounds of chanting break the silence, as a tiny winged creature suddenly appears, flying about 5ft above the wooden platform ahead of you. Ram horns curl back from its twisted head, and its little body is thin and wiry. It's about a foot and a half tall, and probably weighs no more than 8 pounds.

Spellcraft DC16:
The creature's using a spell-like ability to cast cause fear.

Knowledge (planes) DC12:
It's a quasit demon, a Tiny outsider with the chaotic, demon, evil, and extraplanar subtypes. For every 5 you exceed the DC, you may ask one question from this list.

DC11 Will Saves vs Fear Effect:

Kyklónas: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (1) + 0 = 1
Soddy: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Gervase: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Bellisir: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Quinn: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Annea: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Tyndyn Hawk: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

Frightened, Kyklónas and Annea flee from the creature. Everyone else holds their ground, merely shaken.

"Hehe, Kzzrekz scary, no?" The tiny winged monster chortles, watching the gnome and the female human run away. "Kill you, curry favor with strong servants of Abyss. Kzzrekz plan is destroy you, find way back home, and take credit for Abyssal corruption descending on Saringallow. Kzzrekz oh so cunning, no?"

Initiative:

Kyklónas: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Soddy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Gervase: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Bellisir: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Quinn: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Annea: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Tyndyn Hawk: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Kzzrekz: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

Map & Images

Round 1
Bold
may act.

Kyklónas (frightened)
Quinn (shaken)
---
Kzzrekz
---
Bellisir (shaken)
Soddy Daisy (shaken)
Gervase (shaken)
Annea (frightened)
Tyndyn (shaken)

Kyklónas and Quinn, you're up!

251 to 300 of 725 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Lorenzo's PFS-Sanctioned Module: Gallows of Madness All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.