Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords

Game Master Simmyish

Welcome to Varisia, and to Sandpoint - a small coastal town located to the west of the region. For the last forty-two years, there hasn't been much trouble in this small coastal town, but that is all about to change.


301 to 334 of 334 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

Masdok stands over Grulyn's shoulder, spear at the ready.


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Simflay steps up behind the two men, ready to support them with her magic if needed.


Looking down into the small hole, it looks like it was an enclosed crawlspace under the house, it was rather small and maybe could only just barely fit the goblin that jumped out. There are also a couple of rat carcasses that have goblin bite marks which the goblin was probably eating to survive. Apart from that, there is nothing else in the small crawlspace.


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Simflay stares down into the hole briefly, noting the lack of space and the gnawed rat carcasses. "What a weird and wretched existence these things have."

She moves back to the body of the man and rolls him over so that he is not lying face down in his own blood. Then she grabs a sheet or blanket to cover him. This done, she glances back across at the goblin.

Heal check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18 - is the goblin still alive?

If yes...
"It looks like the goblin is still alive. Should we be taking it to the sheriff?"

If no...
"It's almost a shame the creature is not still alive. I'm sure the sheriff would have liked to question it about why it came here."


The goblin has passed by the time you look at it. It was underfed having stayed under the floorboards for the past few days.


Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

"Go tell your sherriff, Grulyn. I'll go with Simflay to tell the widow and her kid." Masdok says as he heads out.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

Grulyn nods
"You might want the town priest with you when you tell the widow."
And heads for the sheriff.


The sheriff was seen last at the town hall going into the mayors office, Father Zantus is at the temple, the woman and her children are out in the street near the tavern.

Going to the town hall, the Mayor, the Sheriff and the elvan woman are all inside the hallway. Sheriff Hemlock says to you "ah, we've been waiting for you, we have some news that might be of intereset to you and your companions. Are the rest able to join us?" Sheriff Hemlock asks.

Meanwhile, Simflay and Masdok can visit the priest, or head back to the Rusty Dragon immediately to speak to the woman and her children.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

"The others are dealing with Amele Barett at the Rusty Dragon tavern, a gobbi hid under their house and popped up attacking her little boy Aeren. That young whelp will be ok but her husband tried to fight it, but the little bugger I guess was two quick and killed him before we could get there and help. But I promise you that gobbi will not hurt anyone else. You might have everyone check their homes for anymore. Look where missing dogs and cats are."


"That is a worry," Hemlock replies. "Well, then I'll leave it to you to pass this on unless they join us in time. The sheriff, with the elvan woman yet to be introduced, leads you upstairs to the second floor, into a rather nice office that is rather comfortable. On the way up, he says "This is Shelelu Andosana, she's... an unofficial member of the town gard" the sheriff tells Grulyn.

"A pleasure to meet you," Shalelu says with a smirk at the comment, and continues into the office, where a woman sits behind a desk in a large comfortable chair.

"Grulyn, this is Mayor Kendra Deverin. Mayor, Shalelu, Grulyn here is one of Sandpoint's newest crop of goblinslayers."

"A pleasure to meet you, Grulyn was it?" the Mayor asks.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

"Ye be right Mayor, me name is Grulyn Ironfoot a champion of Togar, may his forge always be hot.
It be good to meet ye. But I no can be taking all credit for smashing the gobbi's. Togar has seemed to have started to forge me with others.
There be Brydan who is wicked with a bow, but I have no seen him in a few days.
There be an Elfling, Simflay is her name. Was not sure what she was aboot in the beginning, but she has a good hart and tries to help those that are in need. A spell caster for a god I think, like a cleric but I am not quite sure.
Then there be a nasty spear fighter named Masdok. That one ye be glad to have fight by your side, He is a true hunter and one for the wilds. But I think being in a civilized town like this make him be feeling like he is caged and becomes somewhat angry."

Sizing up Shalelu
"So lass, what do you do exactly? And what need do you have of me?
I can no speak for the others but I am happy to pass on any information."
looking from the sheriff to the mayor.


"As I mentioned before," Hemlock replies. "She's an unofficial guard of Sandpoint," at which Shalelu replies "You keep telling yourself that darlin'."

Hemlock looks over and they give a playful smirk at each other. "Well, Shalelu has been a thorn in the goblin tribes in the area for years now, and if anybody knows about the goblins - it's her. You see, Sandpoint isn't the only place that has been subjected to these raids recently. There's actually been an increasd in goblin-related raids all along the Lost Coast, but especially in the dale between Nettlewood and Mosswood. In fact, a farm south of Mosswood was burnt to the ground yesterday," Sheriff Hemlock goes on to describe.

"That's right, thankfully I was nearby. I couldn't save the farm, unfortunately, but the family were saved and the goblins driven away. They managed to find a nearby farm to stay in, but it's not the end of the goblin problems by a longshot," Shalelu goes on to say.

"Why don't you tell them what you told me, Shalelu?" the sheriff asks.

"Well, Belor has told me of your work against the goblins - well done. I've dedicated the last several years of my life to keeping them from causing too much trouble around these parts, but they're tenacious and fecund little runts. Like weeds that bite." Shalelu begins, a tone of frustration in her voice that just talking about goblins seems to get her worked up.

"There are five major goblin tribes in the region, and, traditionally, they're pretty good at keeping each other in line with intertribal squabbles and the like. Yet from what I've been able to piece together, members of all five tribes were involved in the raid on Sandpoint. A fair number of Mosswood goblins I dealt with yesterday were already pretty beat up, and there was a lot of chatter about the 'longshanks' who killed so many of them. Now that I've met you, it seems obvious from their descriptions that you were one of the ones they were talking about, and from what you tell me of the others - seems like they were also described. Seems like you have all made an impression," Shalalu continues with a smile, one that has a hint of pride behind it, considering her views on the goblin kin.

"In any event, the fact that the five tribes are working together disturbs me. Goblin tribes don't get along unless they've got something big planned, and big plans require big bosses. I'm afraid that someone's moved in on the goblins and organized them. And judging by these recent raids, what they're organizing seems like bad news for all of us." Shalelu concludes her report before turning back to Hemlock.

"Well, me and a few of my guards are going to be heading south to Magnimar to see if we can get additional soldiers, after we lost some during the raid the other day, at least until we can determine the actual threat these goblins pose. Shalelu, do me a favor and have a look around Shank's Wood, Brinestump, Mosswood, Devil's Platter and the other places you know goblins live and see if you can find out any more information about what's going on here. Grulyn, if you and your group could hang around for a few days - The locals seem to have taken to you since the Swallowtail Festival and seeing you around town will do a lot for keeping worries down over the next few days, apart from that, I'm going to be headed out so won't be around for a few days," Sheriff Hemlock says and gives his instructions before looking around, the Mayor not saying much but nodding and listening.

Once the Sheriff has given his report, the Mayor simply says "OK, sounds good to me - I trust your judgements Sheriff, and Shalelu your intelligence has always been valuable to us. Grulyn, you and yours are welcome to Sandpoint, unfortunately I cannot offer too much in the way of reward with all of this going on right now, but I do appreciate the help you have given so far. If there's no questions for Sheriff Hemlock I'll call this meeting adjurned.

Meanwhile, outside, Amele, with her two children, await news outside regarding the goblin that was hiding in her child's room.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

"That's some troubling news that the gobbi clans working together."
Grulyn ponders what is being said and what is being asked of him and the group.
"I will pass along your request. I dun't know what the others will say, but like I said, I think Togar is forging us together for some reason. Regardless, me axe is your if you need gobbi's pounded back inline.
What is going to happen to Amele and her young?"


"You mean the ones you were with before? Has something happened to her?" Belor asks, not knowing if the incident with the goblin or the things the group found there.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2
Grulyn wrote:
"The others are dealing with Amele Barett at the Rusty Dragon tavern, a gobbi hid under their house and popped up attacking her little boy Aeren. That young whelp will be ok but her husband tried to fight it, but the little bugger I guess was too quick and killed him before we could get there and help. But I promise you that gobbi will not hurt anyone else. You might have everyone check their homes for anymore. Look where missing dogs and cats are."

Grulyn goes over what he remembers


"Unfortunately, I'll be headed to Magnimar with a few of the town guard to see if we can get some reinforcements," Sheriff Hemlock replies to Grulyn's report. "Especially with this latest news with the clans getting together, we'll need to be prepared for another attack and we lost some good watchmen during the last attack. If we are attacked again, with our current militia I don't think we'll be able to hold onto the town. I'll be gone for a few days - and the people of Sandpoint have come to seeing you and your group around as a comfort, I would request that you continue to do so," says the Sheriff. "And hopefully, I'll see you when I return," Belor says before heading out the door.

Shalelu then turns to speak to Grulyn "Before I head back out, I'd like to meet the rest of the goblin-slayers. I have some information I can share with you all that you might find useful. How about over some food at the Rusty Dragon? Ameiko always makes a good salmon dishes," Shalelu says to you after the Sheriff takes his leave.


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Simflay stares at the body of the slain man for a moment, almost as if reluctant to leave it lying alone on the floor, but then shakes her head and follows Masdok out the door.

As they make their way to deliver the grim news, she asks Masdok "Have... have you had to do this before? Tell someone that their husband or wife is dead?"


Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

"No. And I don't plan to start today." Masdok says gruffly. "Let's go get that priest and let him handle it." he then does exactly that.

--

After asking the priest to tell the woman what happened, Masdok will happily join Shalelu and the others for a meal. However, once he hears today the sheriff will be out of town with some of his guards he is sure to pass that information along to Jubrayl. This connection is payin' off already. He thinks to himself, eagerly expecting a little something in return.


As the priest walks over, Amele breaks down in tears and just looks over to you with a sorry look in his eyes, as he then comforts the woman. Finding out that the sheriff will be out of town does interest Jubrayl, and he gives you two gold pieces for the information.

When you all gather with Shalelu, she begins by introducing herself to the rest of you. "So your all with Grulyn right?" she asks the group of you.


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Thoroughly downcast, Simflay follows Masdok back to the Rusty Dragon, almost on autopilot. She can't get the scene of Amele weeping in front of the priest out of her head and really pays attention to nothing else during the walk.

Upon arrival and finding Grulyn with an elf, her focus shifts to the newcomer, though she remains somewhat quiet initially.


"I'm a friend of Sheriff Hemlock, as Grulyn is aware, he'll be out of town for a few days - I'll be heading back out to find out more about this goblin thing. But first, I'm hungry, mind if I join you all for a meal? Ameiko, my usual will do," Shalelu says as the rest of you join Grulyn. "No worries, Shalelu, in for long this time?" Ameiko asks "Not this time, will be heading back out soon though," she replies. "So, back to the goblins," Shalelu says, turning back to you all.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

Grulyn takes a seat at the table

"Ay, These be them, that I told ye aboot."

Grulyn make the introductions and when he is done he takes a long drink from his mug waiting to here what this information is.


"Well, looks like I'll share the bad news," Shalelu says before reporting the same information that she did to the Sheriff.

"But I can give you some information that might help, starting with the tribes. In the Sandpoint region, there are five major tribes. The closest to the town are the Birdcrunchers. They live in a network of caves along the western edge of Devil's Platter, but out of the five clans, these are typically the least aggressive," she begins as she takes a sip of the ale now placed in front of her by Ameiko, who places another down in front of each of you.

"To the south, you have the Licktoad goblins of the Brinestump Marsh, excellent swimmers but pests none the less. To the east are the Seven Tooth goblins of Shank's Wood. They secured their place by raiding the town's junkyard and using the junk they find there to make armor and weapons. Going either farther east, you'll find the Mosswood goblins, probably the largest tribe. It's hard to tell as families of that clan seem to be feuding with themselves more often than not.

Finally, there are the Thistletop goblins. They live on the Nettlewood coast atop a small island that some say holds a passing resemblance to a decapitated head," Shelelu goes onto explain. "And currently, there are six goblins that would be considered "heroes" among their kin, which is very rare due to their short and violent lives," she adds before taking a moment for any questions.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

Hearing the words "Goblin Hero's", Grulyn almost spits what he was drinking all over the table.
"Gobbi, Hero's? Baa, that's a joke. What made them a hero, killing some dog that had only two legs, with no teeth and was aboot to die anyway ?"

Shaking his head at the thought.


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Simflay leaves the drink in front of her untouched as she listens to Shalelu.

At Grulyn's outburst she wonders "Heroes? How could they be heroes? ... but then ..."

Quietly, she says "Perhaps 'heroes' is the wrong word, but ... we have seen that some among the goblins that attacked the town were more ... dangerous, than the others. The ones that rode the dogs for example. It is not too great a leap to think that there might be some, stronger even than those, that the goblins might think of as heroes."


"The ones that attacked may have been stronger, but they aren't these so-called heroes. I say "heroes" but I don't mean good ones. Heroes to their fellow goblins. Some of the goblins that have done some terrible actions, or survived for longer than most, but usually have earned respect among their kin," Shelelu begins to explain.

"There are currently only six that have been named heroes by their kin. First is Big Gugmut, an unusually muscular and tall goblin from Mosswood. The goblins say that he had a hobgoblin for a father and a wild boar for a mother - and his attitude definitely suggests such things," Shelelu begins, speaking of these special goblins.

"Koruvus would be the second, if his still around. He was the champion of the Seven Tooth tribe, as well known for his short temper as he was his prized possession - a magic longsword sized for a human that he would never let go of, even though it was far too big for him to use. He vanished a few months ago, but the chatter among the Seven Tooth suggests that he's still out there somewhere, either as a ghost or something worse, waiting to murder any other goblin that finds his secret hideout.

"Vorka is another one of the goblin's that most others know. A cannibal who lives in the Brinestump marsh, though the Licktoad Tribe don't like him, his considered a hero by the rest of his goblinkin.

"Rendwattle Gutward is the obese chieftan of the Brinestump goblins, a corpulent monster who, they say, never leaves his throne. Managed to build an entire tribe, all from the laziness of royalty - and a lot of goblins think that an accomplishment. Personally, it makes me sick," Shalelu says with a significant amount of distaste in her voice about it.

"Finally, there's Bruthazmus, an infamous bugbear ranger in the northern Nettlewood. You'll usually finding him trading with the five tribes items that his managed to steal from caravans for alcohol, news or magical arrows. He has a particular hatred of elves, and I've had more than one run-in with him. So far, none of us have managed to get the upper hand, but I swear that I will not be the one to fall first between us. Out of all of them, his the one I don't like the most," she says with a scornful voice.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

"So what is it ye what us to do?"


"Me? Nothing, Hemlock already has given you something, hang about - I'm going to scout and see if I can find something so that you don't have to search five individual goblin tribes to find out where their all gathering. That's what I'll be doing while Belor is away, your job is to keep the townspeople calm during this time - after all, without a sheriff in town all sorts of things could happen," Shelelu tells you all simply.


As Shelelu finishes her meal and bows her head, she excuses herself and makes her way out of the tavern. About an hour passes before you are interuptted again.

This time, by a young woman who approaches Masdok directly.

"You were in the group that dealt with the goblins the other day right? I'm Shayliss, daughter of the propritor of the general store here. Unfortunately, my father has been a bit distracted recently.

My sister, Katrine has shacked up with one of the workers at the lumber mill, and so his been ignoring our pest problem. You see, we have a bit of a rat problem, just one, but it's a big one. Size of a goblin it is.

My father hasn't been listening to me, so maybe someone with a weapon like yours and the skill you showed during the festival, you can come back with me to kill the rat? I don't want to intrude on all of your time, as there's only a singular rat - nothing more than one person is needed for," she says.


Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

Masdok shrugs and stands up. "Sure, I can take care of a few rats fer ye."


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

"I will go wit you. If there be one rat there be more."
Grulyn finishes his drink and grabs his ax to fallow Masdok.


"Oh, I only need one of you," the young woman says. "It's a singular rat, I'm sure he can handle it himself," she says, getting in Grulyn's way.


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Simflay raises an eyebrow at the young woman's insistence and keeps a carefully straight face.

"Perhaps you should stay here then Grulyn," she says... "There's a beer here still that needs to be drunk." And with that she slides across the beer that has been sitting untouched in front of her all this time.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

Looking back and forth between Masdok and Simflay. Then shrugs his shoulders and starts on the beer.

301 to 334 of 334 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.