Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords

Game Master Simmyish

Welcome to Varisia, and to Sandpoint - a small coastal town located to the west of the region. For the last forty-two years, there hasn't been much trouble in this small coastal town, but that is all about to change.


251 to 300 of 328 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

"Anything for you, Ameiko." Masdok says, smiling and a little for eyed. The look seems very out of place on the rough man's face.

"Besides, the man insulted me to my face."


"Well, that's nobles for you" Ameiko replies with a shrug.

The next few days go by without anything too exciting happening, and the town starts to become more like a regular town again.

So, the next four in-game days are going to be pretty quiet, giving you all time to do things you wish to do - let me know and then we'll pick things up from after you've had some downtime


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Simflay spends the first of the four days in or around the Rusty Dragon, concerned that more attacks might be coming and wanting to be somewhere relatively safe and also where she might be able to be of help if an attack does come.

When nothing eventuates she spends the next day wandering about the town, exploring the streets and alleys more in pursuit of improving the fine details on the map she is making.

She does not really do much shopping as having spent most of her money on the crossbow she is aware that she needs to marshal her funds somewhat. The one exception to this is that after a slightly alarming conversation with the man she bought the crossbow from, about the perils of other-worldly monsters, she is talked into buying 5 cold iron crossbow bolts.

Once the map is done, she starts to think seriously about the next steps in her journey. She makes inquiries about the road to Magnimar and how long it will take to get there.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

The next few days Grulyn continues to help repair the damage that the goblin did during their attack. He also talk to other about Ameiko's father and if his behavior is normal and why such contempt for his child.
When he is not working he visits with the blacksmith, talking about different way to forge items and what metals work best, and that can be locally gotten. And spends his nights at the in drinking and talking to the locals of what are the dangers that plague the town.
He also tries to get to know more about the others that stood by his side during the goblin attack.

I might have been wrong about the elfling Simflay, Baa elf name, I wonder what her story be? Me don't think she is a petty thief, than what is she? And that human, Masdok, he be right handy with that spear of his. Then here is the archer, what was his name again, oh ya Brydan.


Simflay manages to get quite a lot of Sandpoint mapped, asking about Magnimar, it's about a two and a half day journey by foot, by horseback you can make it in a day if you leave at dawn and ride into the night for a couple of hours. But as your asking about this, your actions during the Swallowtail Festival have attracted many, but a sobbing woman comes up to you and says "please, you have to help us. We should have believed little Aeren when he told us," she sobs.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

"What's wrong, what did the welp have to say?" Grulyn having concern that evil might be about.


"Aeren hasn't been the same since the festival a few days ago. Ever since the goblin attack, he would cry out, sending our dog, Petal, into a barking fit. Every time we came to look, he claimed that he saw a Goblin come out of his closet. My husband Alergast, he... he checked, every time, but found nothing. And in the end, we thought the 'closet goblin' was just Aeren trying to get attention. Well, yesterday - Alergat, my husband, threatened to make him sleep in the woodshed if he couldn't learn to "be a man" and sleep through an entire night without crying and telling stories.

Well, last night, we decided to try ignoring the cries, because every time... no goblin... but... but..." and as she burst into tears again, gesturing to the boy that's with her to show you something. The little boy shows you his arm. There is blood pouring out of it, with lots of bite marks as if something had tried to chew it off. The woman takes a breath before continuing "well... now Petal is dead, Alergast attacked it and chased it back to the closet, and then he flew into a rage, tossing everything out of the closet. I know you guys have dealt with goblins before, so I feel like you would know how to deal with this. Please help us, his just a boy," she says, and then holds her baby closer to her chest.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

"Let me take a look at that arm boy, you got nothing to fear."
Heal check to see if it is goblin bite: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
While looking over the arm
"Can ye tell me boy what did the gobbi look like? What color was it?"
After hearing the boys story
"And of you have healing skills, I just can't quite tell on the bite. If it was a gobbi, he was having a real bad day."


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Simflay will also look at the wound...

Heal: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

"Umm, well I'm no expert, but it does look very similar to the wounds that others took during the attack on the festival. If I had to guess I'd say he really has been attacked by a goblin."

With that, she reaches out gently and takes the boy's hand. Muttering quietly under her breath for a moment, she blows cool air down on the wound and it begins to heal up, the pain fading with the worst of the damage.

Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 Minimum, curse it all. Still I suppose he can't have taken more than 1 or 2 points or his mother would be carrying a body rather than a boy.

She looks across at Grulyn ... "Perhaps we should investigate, and quickly, before any others come to harm."


The wound definitely does look like a goblin bite.

"My husband stayed behind to fight the little bugger, but we rushed out to see if we can find help," the woman says. Aeren is appreciative as he watches with amazement as the wounds close before his eyes, even if not fully. He then quickly cuddles into his mother.

"His a shy boy, our house is just down the street if you want to have a look," she says.


Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

I am back from my conference. Had a pretty busy weekend trying to get the house in order and also running a game for my f2f group last night. I actually tried to post last night but the site was down.

Masdok loiters about the inn, enjoying his meals and drinks (perhaps occasionally one too many). He is friendly to Ameiko but doesn't say much.

He avoids going to see Jubrayl, not wanting to blow his cover with the sheriff.

At the woman's tale he shakes his head. "Another goblin? We'll take care of it." He says, glad to have something, anything, to do.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

Yes lass, we should take a look. Have you or ye husband gone and talk to the sheriff aboot this? I do not want to step over any legal bounds, the sheriff should be told what we are going to do."

Placing his hand on the boy.
"Ye not worry, we will find what bit ye and make sure it will never happen again."

If the sheriff has not been told about the attack, I will go to the sheriff first before going to the family's home.


Heading to the Sheriff's office, you see him heading to the town hall with an elven woman you don't recognise as you walk past. Your about to let him deal with his business as he turns and notices you, gesturing for you all to come over.


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Simflay stops with the rest of the group, though she is clearly restless and uneasy at the delay.

"We should make haste, if there is one goblin, there could be more. The boy's father could be unknowingly putting himself in harm's way."


Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

Masdok makes an annoyed sound at the idea of checking with the sheriff first. He ignores Grulyn and follows the lady's directions to her house, where he enters, spear at the ready, and goes looking for the husband.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

"Sheriff I think ye have still some gobbi troubles." Grulyn relays the story of the child.
"Ye want us to have a look?"


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

As Masdok splits from the group, Simflay looks a bit startled, but after a brief moment of consideration, she mutters to herself "Yes!" and turns and hustles after him.


"Please, make it quick - We have some... troubling news. I want to speak with you all before I leave for Magnimar to get some reinforcements, so come back here when your done - the town mayor also wishes to be present for this discussion and has asked for each of you to be present personally," Sheriff Hemlock says quickly before heading into the town hall.

The woman introduces herself as Amele Barett, as you hurry to the family's house. The little boy doesn't get too close and Amele says "I think it best to stay here, little Aeren has been through more than any boy should. Please, his bedroom is on the second floor, the second door on the right," she says to the group of you.

Following the directions, you enter the house which has an eerie silence about it. As you approach the room, one of the stairs lets of a small creak, and you approach the door to Aeran's room. A plain door without anything special adorning it.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

Moving as fast as his stubby legs will go. Grulyn catches up to the group at the house.
"Th' sheriff gave us his blessing to to what we need to. And when we are done here he wants te see us with the mayor fur some discussion, tis town could be in more trouble."

At the boy's door, Grulyn whispers "Should we call out, so we don't put a fright in the husband?"


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Simflay is standing outside the house, loading her crossbow as Grulyn catches up. Looking aghast she mutters "More trouble? ..." before following him and Masdok into the house.

At Grulyn's whispered question, she looks uncertain... "I don't know ... if we do that it will also alert the goblins."


Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

Masdok opens the door and strides in, looking ever direction for the goblin or the husband.


You open the door, and inside you find the legs of a man hanging out the closet, in a position to look like they crawled in. The figure doesn't move as you open the door and enter.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

"Are ye Amele's husband? Amele and the sheriff wanted us to take a look at your gobbi problem."
Grulyn calls out to the man.


Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

Masdok curses under his breath and rushes forward to look in the closet.


The man doesn't move or answer as you call out, but there is some sort of scratching sound coming from underneath the floors. The torso of the man goes into the closet, and down some sort of hole in the floor, which his waist completley fills.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

Grulyn makes a grab for the man/corps to drag him back into the room.
"Let him go, he's no lunch of yours."


You drag out the body of a middle-aged man, which as you do you notice has been sliced in the throat with a jagged blade of some kind. Jumping out of the crawlspace that you pulled the body from is a Goblin, similar to the one riding on the back of the goblin dog yesterday, who jumps out towards you and attacks.

Goblin Commando Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Initiative: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

Standing ready with her crossbow just inside the door as Grulyn pulls the corpse out of the closet, Simflay gasps in horror at the sight of the goblin leaping forth. However, being ready, she fires the crossbow as soon as she sees the creature.

Shoot!: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
On a hit: 1d8 ⇒ 6


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

Initiative: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (14) - 1 = 13

With hopes that the man can be saved, Grulyn pulls on the man away from the goblin and says a small prayer to heal the mans wounds.

Cure light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6


Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13

Masdok swears at the sight of the man's slit throat.

thanks to combat reflexes he is not flat footed and still gets AoOs


Simflay acts quickly as she pulls out her bow as the goblin jumps out of the hatch, unfotunately, she releases just a second to early as the arrow travels just over the Goblin's head.

The Goblin screams and comes jumping towards Grulyn as he pounces towards the body.

Goblin Attack Roll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16

The goblin stabs into Grulyn as he cuts into him with a dagger.

Goblin Damage: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 piercing damage.

Masdok is up next: Initiative Order is Simflay, goblin, Masdok then Grulyn


Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

Masdok steps into position (if necessary), studies the goblin's movements, and then stabs at it.

longspear, power attack, studied target: 1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (12) + 5 - 1 = 16
cold iron, piercing: 1d8 + 6 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 6 + 3 + 1 = 11


Trying to predict the movements, the Goblin is acting out of a primal need to eat, and manages to just avoid the longspear attack. Grulyn attempts to heal the figure, but unfortunately it's too late as the healing doesn't go through, the man is dead.

Simflay is up next


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Seeing how difficult the goblin is to hit and how her aim is made more difficult by allies being in close to the creature, Simflay decides to help in a different way. Reaching out she touches Masdok on the back and casts a spell.

Cast Guidance on Masdok. He gets a +1 competence bonus on a single attack roll, saving throw, or skill check taken in the next minute.


As Simflay casts the spell, the Goblin responds by attacking Grulyn once more with it's makeshift dagger.

Goblin Attack roll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15

This time however, it brushes up against Grulyn's scale armor and screeches and clicks as it scratches the metalic scales.

Only the one of them this time, over to you guys


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

See that his healing magic was too late for the husband, anger swells in Grulyn. That poor boy and his mother, they have a great loss in their family all because of this grubby little goblin.

Grabbing his war ax Grulyn not caring about his wounds, swings his ax at the goblin for all it's worth.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 4 + 1 = 14
dice+bace+goblin
damage: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

But becomes off balanced when his foot slipped on some blood.


Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

longspear, power attack, studied target: 1d20 + 5 - 1 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 5 - 1 + 1 = 18
cold iron, piercing: 1d8 + 6 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 6 + 3 + 1 = 11

Masdok stabs at the goblin again.


Masdok takes a stab at the Goblin as it scowls, this time managing to pierce it's flesh, causing significant damage. The Goblin is severely hurt by the longspear attack, and Grulyn takes a swing at the goblin with his axe, inadvertently stepping into some slippery blood as he does so, so the axe doesn't make contact with its target.

Still waiting on Simflay


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Seeing that it seems that her magic helped, Simflay will cast Guidance on Masdok again, being careful not to be within reach of the goblin as she does so.

She will take a 5 foot step to keep Masdok between her and the goblin if needed


Once again, the goblin takes a stab with its makeshift dagger at Grulyn.

Goblin Commando attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

This time, the Grulyn pierces into Grulyn's side as the goblin slashes with it.

Goblin Commando damage to Grulyn: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

The rest of you are all up, the goblin is looking real bad


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

Wincing in pain from the goblin strike. Grulyn strikes back at the goblin.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 4 + 1 = 17
dice+bace+goblin
damage: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


Just bareley making it past it's armor, Grulyn strikes one more time at the goblin, hitting it square in the face as it falls unconscious to the ground.

With the goblin incapacitated, the room once again goes quiet, with the dead man lying on the floor with a slit across his throat from the goblin's dagger.


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Staring down at the dead man, Simflay speaks quietly, seemingly to herself, but audible in the sudden quiet of the room...
"Too late ... too late ... we were too late ..."

Suddenly unable to bear the sight of the dead man, she hangs her head and covers her eyes with her hand, the other hand hanging limp at her side, holding her crossbow.


Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

Masdok swears under his breath. "Better run and get yer sherrif, Grulyn."


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

At Masdok's mention of the Sheriff, Simflay looks up sharply, her hand dropping away from eyes welling with unshed tears.
"Oh ... oh ... could it be. Please, gods please say it isn't so..."

Moving up to the slain man, she leans down and looks closely at his wound.

Health check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17

DM: Checking to see if she can tell how recently he died. Specifically, her concern is whether or not he died while the group was detouring to talk to the Sheriff.


Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

seems unlikely. Masdok went straight to the house and didn't wait for y'all to catch up before entering


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Oh I agree it's unlikely... but it's the sort of thing that would worry at Simflay. She was already a little concerned by the detour anyway, so it makes sense to me that she would jump to this.


Looking over the body, the man died just before the woman arrived to tell you about the attack. The cause of death was a blade to the throat.


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Simflay sags slightly in relief as she looks at the wounds on the body and concludes that he was probably dead by the time the group were hearing about the goblin from his wife. Then she grimaces slightly as she realizes what she is thinking.

"How awful ... thinking about the poor man's death like that. Have I really seen so much death in the last few days that I'm suddenly concerned about a stranger's death in terms of how it might affect me? Is the rest of the world going to be like this? If so, perhaps I was wrong to leave home."

With a sigh, she stands up.

"He's been dead for a while now. I don't think there's anything we could have done to have saved him. His poor family."

Then, with a glance towards the hole in the floor she continues, "Do you think there might be more down there?"


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

Grulyn makes his way to the hole to see where it leads to.

251 to 300 of 328 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.