Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords

Game Master Simmyish

Welcome to Varisia, and to Sandpoint - a small coastal town located to the west of the region. For the last forty-two years, there hasn't been much trouble in this small coastal town, but that is all about to change.


1 to 50 of 294 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

Been trying for 40 minutes to create the recruitment thread through the campaign page, but it doesn't wanna work, so - feel free to message me directly with the info

Welcome to Varisia. Scarred by the depravity of ancient wizards and reclaimed by a wilderness of beasts and savages, only in the past few hundred years have the steps of civilized men again trod the wondrous and mysterious lands of Varisia.

Within the region, we begin this adventure in the coastal town of Sandpoint. The town has faced few trials and dangers over the course of its forty-two-year history, but unfortunately, that is all about to change.

Welcome to Play by post Pathfinder - for those interested - feel free to roll up a character and provide some background here, will let you all know when we're ready to go :)

As for me as a GM - I got into Roleplaying games over ten years ago using play by post style similar to this, so in a way, it is where it all started for me. I've played multiple systems (including others designed originally for tabletop play) in this format, so if you have any questions, I'm open to answering them. I have also of course played both pathfinder and starfinder at an actual tabletop, and know the differences in tabletop play, and PbP.

Of course, everyone is in different time zones when playing PbP, so for that reason, there is a posting limit of once per week, to help keep the flow going, and you can expect to get back within 3 days maximum (though usually quicker if it's something that doesn't move things terribly forward). With that in mind, those interested, please show interest below along with your character.


Five years ago, the religious folk of Sandpoint suffered the loss of their temple and their religious leader in a devastating fire. The religious folk have been having to attend gatherings in temporary buildings since then. The new religious leader was kind, wise and helpful, but things were not the same.

Today, a big step in restoring the faith in the town takes place. The construction of the new cathedral in its place has finally been completed. All that is left to do is to renew the site's blessings from the gods at the Swallowtail Festival, and the city can finally close that chapter of their history for good.

And today is the Autumn Equinox, the day the Swallowtail Festival is observed. There's always a buzz of activity on these days, but this year is much bigger with many of the townsfolk excited about the day ahead. And, the city's taverns are giving lunch on the house to all festival-goers. The whole town is in attendance.

The day is scheduled to begin with some speeches, and we begin a few minutes before that, as the six of you arrive in the square outside the new cathedral, where a stage has been set up, and various local merchants are finalizing their stores before the start of the festival.


Male Ragebred Skinwalker Alchemist (Beastmorph/Skinwalker) 1

As the sun begins to rise in the sky, Werner Krieger takes a look at his home.

Much has changed over the last several years. The cathedral had been burnt to cinders when he was last a full time resident of Sandpoint, and now... look at it. He smiled to himself, whistling an odd tune as he idly considered how much it must have cost to rebuild the cathedral.

Krieger takes a look around. He vaguely considers seeing if there's any free merchant space in which he may ply his trade as an alchemist. Also, he keeps an eye out for his old mentor, Ilsoari Gandethus, hoping to catch his face in the crowd.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

Walking in to the city square, his worn armor making a creak at every step. Grulyn takes a look around at the town that has grown up.

"This toun haes grown up sin th' lest time ah wis 'ere." Talking to his traveling companions.

Grulyn walks over to get a better look at the New Cathedral.


Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

Masdok strides up High Street to the festival. "Go enjoy the festival; there will be plenty of work for you later. For now, settle in and get to know all this fine town has to offer." Jubrayl had said to him earlier that day upon his arrival in town.

He looks around, unsure what to make of the scene at first. He makes his way to where he can get some hot food and a cold drink.


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Trailing along towards the back of whatever crowd is making it's way to the square is a figure in a hooded cloak. The cloak is drawn closed around the figure and the hood is pulled forward over their head. A gloved hand can be seen emerging from the cloak, holding a plain wooden quarterstaff. An observant watcher might note that the form under the cloak is not especially tall and seems to be quite slight.

As she wanders along with the crowd, Simflay is caught between trying to look at every new thing that presents itself before her and at the same time, trying very desperately not to draw attention to herself by staring at every new thing.

"Relax! Just, relax," she thinks to herself, "Yes, you are a bit stuck in the crowd for a while. Everyone is heading the same way and you'll get noticed if you try to leave now. But on the other hand, everyone is mostly paying attention to that new ... church? I wonder if that is what... err why ... Oh dear ... it really is hard to think straight with so many people about. How do they put up with it? The church does look very new though... I wonder what god it is for?"

She continues to move towards the cathedral square.


Male N Noble Drow Conjurer 1 | HP 9 | AC 15 T 14 FF 11 | CMB +4, CMD 15 | F: +2, R: +4, W: +5 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5 Speed 30 ft | Active Conditions: Detect Magic

Anomander walks out of the inn he stayed the night at, shielding his eyes from the sun for a few moments while his eyes adapt. Why do these surface dwellers always have to do everything during the day? That accursed sun is painful.

Having just arrived in town, he decides to head in the direction the majority of people seem to be going. He keeps the hood on his cloak up, trying to keep his eyes in the shade as best he can.

Arriving in the cathedral square, Anomander takes a good look around, trying to find someplace in the shade he can observe what is going on. Seems this festival the innkeeper was talking about is a big deal. Nice looking church they built. Well, might as well see what is going on, maybe opportunity with rear its head.


Male Human Inquisitor (Monster Tactician, Tactical Leader) HP 9/9 | AC 18 T 15 FF 13 | CMB +5, CMD 18 | F: +2, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +5 | Perc: +7, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None.

Brydan made his way through the town. It was a shame that Jubrayl didn't have much time at the moment. He had hoped to get a word in to find a better encampment for the troop.

Still, there was much to rejoice on today. The community was in celebration and the last time he went through this area with the famil the cathedral was still in construction. He had seen the remnants of the old church and spend some time with the town's militia finding out that it had burned more than year prior.

Brydan smiled and waved his hand to the children as they played and made their way about. He hoped that today would be a day of rest for him, it was not a day he wished to have to offer his unique abilities as a guard.

He nodded at a few people as he made his way to the shade of a tree to sit and watch as the festival blooms into fruition.


As you all make your way to the square, the crowd begins to gather. The numbers for the opening speeches being made this morning is quite respectable. As the crowd gathers, the mayor of the city - Mayor Deverin, a female human with short brown hair, steps onto the temporary stage set-up. A nearby bard casts a spell which makes it so that the mayor is audible to the gathered crowd.

"To those who are visiting us on this fine day, welcome to Sandpoint. To those that pass their time here, it's good to see you here on this wonderful occasion. We hope that these celebrations will bring great cheer to everyone here. In fact, our local tanner, Larz, even managed to pull himself away from the tanning bench to join us. A rare sight indeed!" he said with a smile. It garnered a chuckle from most of the locals in the crowd, except for the tanner that goes red from embarrassment.

"I don't want to hold up the celebration too long, so I'll invite the Sherrif up to say a few words on the housekeeping of the festival," she finishes as another human steps up to the stage.

Those from Sandpoint would recognise this as Sheriff Belor Hemlock, and he has a serious look on his face. "OK, remember not to overdo the drink, it may be free, but you still need to look after yourselves. We will be having a bonfire this evening, so anyone that needs a reminder in fire safety make sure your at least 100 feet away when that begins. Now, remember why we are all gathered today. Five years ago, the fire killed some of our family, our closest friends. Let us all remember them with a moment of silence for those that lost their lives that day," he concluded his speech after bowing his head in silence, the rest of the crowd doing likewise, even though there are some yawns from those that want the festival to begin so they could get to the drinking and the eating.

After a couple of minutes, the Sheriff invited up the next guest "Now we have one of the people that has made this event possible with the funding he has given the town of Sandpoint. It only be fair he get the opportunity to say a few words, so Lonjiku, come on up."

A few moments pass, and nobody turns up. A halfling approaches with a piece of paper that the Sheriff quickly reads, before clearing his throat and speaking once more. "It appears Mr. Kaijitsu has been taken ill and is unable to join us,"

One of the locals in the crowd shout out "Surprise, Surprise, Lonjiku hates these things anyways, he was never going to come. You were stupid to get your hopes up."

"Now Now everyone," says a rather jovial sounding voice, as everyone turns their attention to the stage once more. The owner of the local theatre, Cyrdak Drokkus has taken the stage and says "before we begin the festivities, we should start by taking to heart what the sheriff said, we all know he can be a sour-puss sometimes, don't we sheriff" he says the last part in a cooey voice, to the amusement of the crowd.

"Remember how much we had to do to raise money for this new temple, 'ey? All the work that we all put in, all the donations we gave. It's finally paying off. And to celebrate this new success, I have an announcement!" he says, which brings the entire crowd to silence. This was what was being gossiped about during the last few days. Cyrdak was about to announce something that he had been teasing for some time.

"We are doing a run of The Harpy's Curse at the Sandpoint Theatre. And I can finally announce, that playing the lead role of Avisera the harpy queen will be played by the Magnimarian Diva herself, Allishanda! She was unable to reach Sandpoint in time for the festival, but she sends her deepest regards to the town and looks forward to entertaining you all. Just don't get too close to her while she's here." He says, which attracts amazement from the crowd. This would be the most famous actress the theatre had ever been able to hire, and some wondered how Cyrdak managed to persuade such an icon to work at such a small time theatre as his.

Finally, Father Zantus, the new leader of the temple here, steps up onto the stage. "We have heard great things from all our speakers, I want to thank you all for the joy it brings to see you as excited as I am to see this day finally arrive. With that, I declare that the Swallowtail Festival has officially begun! Enjoy yourselves, lunch will be free for all today, and don't forget to have a look around the town while your at it. We'll see you all this evening for the bonfire and fireworks display." The priest saus simply, and with that, the crowd begins to disperse around the city.

In the morning, there are multiple events being held, including sack races, games of hide-and-seek, weight-lifting challenges, balance beam contests, tug-of-war events, and a baking competition. There's also some ring-toss stalls, and various other fairground games.

The taverns aren't open just yet but are expected to open for lunch in about an hour, in the meantime, you have time to mingle and explore the town.


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Simflay stands quiet and very still throughout the speeches. She watches avidly as the various speakers get up on stage and say their piece.

"Amazing," she thinks. "I can't imagine doing what they are doing. Standing up in front of everyone like that... all those eyes looking at you... judging you... how can they just do that?"

As the speeches end and the crowd begins to disperse, Simflay feels a wash of relief pass through her. "At last, people are moving away now. I can too now, without drawing too much attention." With that she begins to drift along with a knot of townsfolk.

But then, as she gets to the exit from the square that will lead her back to the town gate she entered through, she pauses and sighs. "You know... if you keep avoiding people and places like this, you will never manage to get anywhere. You've got to get used to being around people. Almost everywhere is bigger than Wolf's Ear after all. Sandpoint seems like a safe and friendly place. What could be better for getting used to these crowds. I don't imagine Magnimar is going to be any smaller than this. Besides..." she smiles quietly to herself inside her hood, "...those pies smell delicious."


Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

all this fine town has to offer Jubrayl's greasy grin played in Masdok's head as the speeches wound down. What a lot of words they had he says to himself. He decides to have some hot food and some free beer, then try some of the various physical games; feats of strength, balance beam, and tug of war.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

Grulyn gives one last look at the new church.
Not bad for non-dawarven work. he thinks to himself.

And walks over to some of the games. He watches as some kids race in the potato sack race, and give a small smile as they go past.

As he looks around at the other contests none really peeking his interest until the taverns open and he can try the hag fish challenge. The challenge since the last time he was here, he has been making himself ready to take it for years. Drinking and eating things so fowl that a goblin wouldn't even touch. And now after all that time, today he gets to see if his Will and fortitude or his stomach is the stronger.

Then after the challenge with that coin purse he wins in hand he will try some of the local foods and drinks they have to offer.


As the group disperse, you attend the various games available. Stepping up to the strength test, you see a large pole that raises about 50 feet, made out of wood with a metal ball resting on a spring connected to a big button. "Come and try out your mettle, think your strong? Let's see if you can ring the bel"

Stepping up, the games have a free entry fee and are welcoming challengers. (Masdok: Make me a strengthe check)

Meanwhile, the taverns that are running the hag fish challenge will be opening early, and they are beginning the process of getting things set up. You see all sorts of ingredients that are going to be tough for even the foulest of creatures to stomach. Grulyn heads over to the rusty dragon, the venue known to provide the best contest experience.

The crowd is gathered and there are three others stepping up who think they can handle the competition. One of them is also a dwarf who looks over at Masdoce and says "So, ya think you can beat meh? I've been the town's champion for the last five years on this. And by my beard, I will not let some wanna-be take my title," and takes a seat at the table set up just outside the tavern.


Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

Masdok swings the hammer high overhead

strength: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5


Male Human Inquisitor (Monster Tactician, Tactical Leader) HP 9/9 | AC 18 T 15 FF 13 | CMB +5, CMD 18 | F: +2, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +5 | Perc: +7, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None.

Brydan smiles and waits a while just watching as the community comes together and waits for a bit to people watch. It was wonderful to see so many children and young adults.

He finally yawned and stretched, he himself was too young to be sitting on the sidelines. He got up and begin making his way around the festival. He spied another Shoanti man trying his hand at one of the games. Brydan smiled and got in line behind him to try his meddle, hoping the contest might give them a chance to strike up a conversation.

Strength test: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Simflay is standing at a stall, trying to decide which of the foods she will try. Although she initially thought she would have a pie, the variety of foods available has surprised her somewhat and she has been standing there, unable to choose for a couple of minutes. As she contemplates her options however, Grulyn wanders by and suddenly Simflay forgets all about food.

"Is that a dwarf? I've heard of them, but ... oh, this place is amazing!"

She begins following along behind the dwarf, keeping her distance and trying not to be noticed, drifting in and out between stalls. While focused on Grulyn, she shows no interest in any of the games or stalls except as cover to assist her in following the dwarf unnoticed.

Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Once he reaches the tavern however, she ceases following Grulyn and goes back to exploring the stalls in search of something nice to eat.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

Noticing he has a shadow, Grulyn heads to the tavern. "Weel that wull be yin theif wha wull be missing th' pairtie if she trys anythin' wi' me." he says under his breath .

Not sure if his shadow is some kind of elf or not he see her walk away when he arrives at the Rust Dragon. Then some dwarf starts to mouth off at him, and Grulyn forget all about the elfling.

Giving a small smile to the other dwarf
"That is th' thing, thare is aye someone better than ye. 'N' th'day, Torag willing, that wull be me. Good luck to ye and may ye keep your forge hot."

And finds his seat for the competition.


Male N Noble Drow Conjurer 1 | HP 9 | AC 15 T 14 FF 11 | CMB +4, CMD 15 | F: +2, R: +4, W: +5 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5 Speed 30 ft | Active Conditions: Detect Magic

Anomander listens to the speeches with some interest, always interested to learn about the past. How odd the person who paid for all this would avoid the celebration. Most people who do such things do it to prove how much better than everyone else they are. As the speeches wind down he finds himself wandering about, doing his best to look interested in the games and the people around him.

He looks at each stall with some interest, keeping an eye out for any games that rely more on his intellect than his physical prowess to win. He also keeps an eye out for others like him, the beings who don't seem to fit in, or look out of place. There has to be something here. Or someone. I have to find some way to keep myself fed, and research and exploration won't be cheap. I didn't risk running away to become a village wizard.


Masdok takes a swing with the hammer provided, and a small wooden ball that was resting on the button raises up about a quarter of the way up the long pole it is connected to.

Brydan then steps up and gives it a try. It travels slightly higher up the pole but doesn't reach the round bell at the top of the contraption. "Never mind, Never mind, just not your day today," the dwarf looking over the stall says to both of you.

Grulyn takes a seat down next to the dwarf, who smiles in his direction. "Then let the competition begin." says the dwarf. The first plate is set down by a group of waiters, they bring the dish covered in a silver platter, which the lid is raised off of when it arrives. Sitting on the plate is a goblin's ear. Picking up the ear, the dwarf eats it in one

Fortitude Save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

(OOC: Will also need a fortitude save from Grulyn if he eats the first dish of goblin ear).

Anomander, having a look for something less physical, you find yourself outside the General Store. The owners of the General Store, Ven Vinder and his wife, Solsta, are standing by a table near their shop, which has a large container full of their home-made pies.

On a piece of parchment, it reads "guess the correct amount of pies in the jar to win the jar."

(OOC: For the roll for this, you can either roll a profession (Baker or cook) check if you are proficient, being able to use the measurements of what you see by knowing the way the pies were made, a knowledge (local) check to know the information on how the pies are made and their sizing requirements, which will enable you to work out the number of pies able to fit in the space, or a straight perception check if you are proficient in neither of those.)


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

And so it begins He thinks to himself.

Grulyn takes an ear and downs it in one bite.

Fort: 1d20 + 4 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 4 + 2 + 2 = 21

"Just like how mom made them."


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Simflay continues to wander about the town, quietly enjoying the spectacle of the day without particularly involving herself in it. She buys herself a pie, and then later a sweet pastry but that is about the extent of it. She is content to watch people playing the games but does not get drawn into them.

Although she enjoys watching all the goings-on, after a time the press and the noise get a bit much for her and she wanders back up to the area near the new Cathedral, hoping to find a quieter spot nearby where she can take a seat and just watch people pass by.

"I don't know that I could ever get used to all this ... bustle ... but there are so many different people here. This place is so, so much bigger than home. There is so much to see!"


Male N Noble Drow Conjurer 1 | HP 9 | AC 15 T 14 FF 11 | CMB +4, CMD 15 | F: +2, R: +4, W: +5 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5 Speed 30 ft | Active Conditions: Detect Magic

What an odd game. I suppose it makes for an interesting game. Let's see here...

Anomander eyes the container, trying to guess the rough size of it and the pies inside.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

Well, it's a guess, but it should work out.


Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

Masdok frowns, glares at the hammer and pad, and asks to try again.

strength check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20


Male Human Inquisitor (Monster Tactician, Tactical Leader) HP 9/9 | AC 18 T 15 FF 13 | CMB +5, CMD 18 | F: +2, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +5 | Perc: +7, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None.

Brydan laughed a bit "Oh, I see you were taking it easy to let the kids feel impressive for managing to succeed where we failed. Hmm, well I can't let my pride take a hit after you've held back like that." he said laughing cordially and clapping the Shoanti man on the shoulder once he'd managed a significantly stronger showing the second time around.

He stepped up and paused for a moment, taking out his holy symbol and saying a small prayer before taking up the hammer again himself and gave a good slam.

Strength Check+Guidance: 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 3 + 1 = 20


Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

Masdok laughs along with Brydan, though in not quite as friendly or open a demeanor. He sneers a little at Brydan's prayer. "Need yer god to help ya, eh?" He shakes his head and tries it again.

strength check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Male Human Inquisitor (Monster Tactician, Tactical Leader) HP 9/9 | AC 18 T 15 FF 13 | CMB +5, CMD 18 | F: +2, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +5 | Perc: +7, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None.

Brydan chuckled a bit at the jape. "Not needed, but his help is always appreciated. Faith is a powerful ally, should one take the time to cultivate it." he said taking no offense.


Both Grulyn and the dwarf are able to keep the food down, though the dwarf seemed to struggle more. Within moments, another silver platter is bought to the table. This time, when the lid is lifted, sitting there is what looks like some fleshy, long dollop of meat, that has been well done. The announcer steps up and says "For round two of the competition, we've got some... delicious..." he says with trepidation "Giant Tongue! Good Luck," the announcer says and the platter is placed in front of both of you.

The Dwarf looks down with a certain look of disgust in his face, but picks up the tongue and pulls on the fleshy meet

Fort: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

The Tongue is too much for the dwarf, he wretches in response to the horrible taste in his mouth that is left behind.

As long as you make this save Grulyn, you'll win the competition - otherwise it will go through to the tie-breaker

Meanwhile, Anomander is inspecting the container containing the pies. He is pretty sure there are 27 pies in the jar, based on the size of the jar and how many he can see.

Brydan and Masdok are still at the test-o'-strength, looking angrily at the pad and hammer, and Masdok gives it another attempt. The man running the stall says "It's free - and nobody is waiting, so of course you can have another go. Good luck."

This time Brydan takes the hammer and manages to make the device hit the bell at the top of the pole. Brydan steps up and also manages to hit the bell also. When Masdok approaches the third time, however - he is unable to get the same purchase he had before.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

Grulyn tears into the meat with gusto. And give a harty laugh as the other dwarf walk away.

Fort: 1d20 + 4 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 4 + 2 + 2 = 28

"That wis pretty guid, juist needs a pinch o' garlic."

He then slides the other plate over and starts to eat that one as well.

Between mouth full he asks the the crowd.

"Ye all want some, it's good eats? Burp."


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

After a short while of sitting quietly, Simflay's attention is drawn by some sporadic cheering in the distance, as if people are watching some sort of contest. Intrigued, she stands and makes her way in the direction of the cheering.

Before long, she sees two Shoanti men taking turns with a large hammer trying to ring a bell at the top of a pole. For a moment she stops to watch, although the onlookers here do not seem enough to have made the noise she heard.

"Shoanti?" she thinks to herself, "I would not have expected such grim and ... and ... well, grim, men to be at such games."

With that, she continued to follow the noise and before long, found herself part of a larger crowd cheering on as not one, but two dwarves faced off in an eating contest. As she watched, one of the dwarves began retching in reaction to whatever it was he had just eaten. The second dwarf, who she suddenly realized was the same one she had been following earlier, ate down his helping with apparent ease and then raised his fists to the sky in victory as the crowd roared its approval.

A bit overwhelmed by the noise, Simflay moves to the back of the crowd to watch.


As noon comes creeping along, followed by a crowd of children is Father Zantus and his acolytes wheeling a large covered wagon into the square in front of the cathedral. The children are jumping with excitement and anticipation of what is underneath the blanket.

The father clears his throat and then nods to one of the magic users of the city who cast a quick spell that makes him able to be heard across the town.

"Visitors and residents of Sandpoint during this Swallowtail Festival. I would like to share with you a story. One regarding The Great Dreamer. It is said that when Desna fell to earth, she was very injured and sick from the journey from the heavens. Coming across this weakened form was a blind child, who cared for her and nursed her back to full health.

'This is a beautiful thing you have done for me, child," replied the Goddess of Fortune, "And for that, you deserve to be beautiful forever," and as her words came out, the young child turned into a resplendent and beautiful butterfly, and made her immortal to fly around and share her beauty with the world. So every year, on this day - we remember Desna's children," and with that, Father Zantus lifts off the sheet and thousands of Swallowtail butterflies fly out of the wagon in a spiralling riot of beautiful colours, and a great cheer from the crowd. Once the butterflies are released, children instantly try starting to catch them but they are always just too quick for the children's little hands.

Once the butterflies have been released, the taverns are opened and are now serving their different meals.

The White stag is preparing peppercorn venison, and the Hagfish tavern's special today is a lobster chowder. There are a few other places also open and all of them are offering free food, but the one having the most success is the Rusty Dragon, whose proprietor, Ameiko Kaijitsu, is the darling of the lunches with her curry-spiced salmon and the first mugs of winterdrop mead being made available for the year. A lot of the crowd are heading in that direction, but a few of the locals make their own way to some of the other taverns around the town.


Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

"Eh, maybe allies are alright--even divine ones." Masdok answers Brydan noncommittally. He gives the man a begrudging nod before departing for the next event.

--

After the speech, Masdok keeps an eye out for Jubrayl Vhiski. He'll follow him to whatever tavern he's going to and try to chat a little. That greasy smile'll make a man's skin crawl, but it's always good to rub shoulders with the boss.

Otherwise he'll make his way to the Rusty Dragon. If so many people like it, it must be worth the wait.


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Gathering with the crowd, Simflay waits quietly to hear what Father Zantus has to say. She had been quite struck by him during the opening speeches and was quite keen to hear him speak again.

"A cleric ... an actual cleric of Desna," she thought to herself excitedly. "I would dearly love to speak to him ... I have so much to ask him ... perhaps I will ..." she trailed off to concentrate as the Father began to share his story.

When the Father culminates his story by releasing the butterflies, Simflay gasps out loud and stands entranced by the whirlwind of color and beauty and freedom that explodes from the wagon and up into the air. "Oh! Such ... such ... beauty. But this is amazing. If a small town like this can be so wonderful, what must a city be like? I must go and speak to the cleric!". However, while she has been enraptured by the butterflies and all they represent, Father Zantus has disappeared from view.

Although slightly disappointed, she refuses to be downcast on a day that has presented her with such happiness, and so she wanders off in search of the Tavern that she has heard is best known for a spiced salmon.


As you continue, the hagfish food tournament comes to a close, and the taverns all provide the needed sustenance you need.

The rest of the day goes by with children continuing to chase the released Swallowtail butterflies until the evening when everybody once again gathers at the square in front of the cathedral.

There is a sharp retort, like the crack of distant thunder, that slices through the excited crowd as the sun's setting rays paint the western sky.

A stray dog that has crawled under a nearby wagon to sleep starts awake at the noise, and the buzz of two dozen or more conversations quickly hushes as all heads turn toward the central podium, where a beaming Father Zantus has taken the stage.

He clears his throat, takes a breath to speak, and before he can get the first word out, a woman's scream slices through the air. After a few moments, there's another scream. And then another. Behind them, you start hearing a sudden surge of strange new voices - high-pitched, tittering shrieks that sound not quite human.

You see the crowd parting for something small that is low to the ground as it races by, giggling with disturbing glee as the stray dog that was under the wagon gives a pained yelp and then collapses with a gurgle, its throat cut open from ear to ear. As blood pools around is head, the raucous sound of a strange song begins, chanted from shrill, scratchy voices.


As you continue, the hagfish food tournament comes to a close, and the taverns all provide the needed sustenance you need.

The rest of the day goes by with children continuing to chase the released Swallowtail butterflies until the evening when everybody once again gathers at the square in front of the cathedral.

There is a sharp retort, like the crack of distant thunder, that slices through the excited crowd as the sun's setting rays paint the western sky.

A stray dog that has crawled under a nearby wagon to sleep starts awake at the noise, and the buzz of two dozen or more conversations quickly hushes as all heads turn toward the central podium, where a beaming Father Zantus has taken the stage.

He clears his throat, takes a breath to speak, and before he can get the first word out, a woman's scream slices through the air. After a few moments, there's another scream. And then another. Behind them, you start hearing a sudden surge of strange new voices - high-pitched, tittering shrieks that sound not quite human.

You see the crowd parting for something small that is low to the ground as it races by, giggling with disturbing glee as the stray dog that was under the wagon gives a pained yelp and then collapses with a gurgle, its throat cut open from ear to ear. As blood pools around its head, the raucous sound of a strange song begins, chanted from shrill, scratchy voices.


Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

"Goblins again, always goblins." Masdok mutters to himself as he pulls on a spiked gauntlet and draws his longspear. He curses under his breath and heads towards the screams. I'll show them to ruin a good party.


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Although she is still hooded and cloaked, the last few hours, spent so pleasantly in Sandpoint, have served to relax Simflay a little. Her cloak, though it still covers her, is not clasped shut as it was earlier, and although her hood is still up, it is no longer pulled forward so much as to hide her face.

"This time I will not get distracted," she thinks to herself as she stands in the crowd watching as Father Zantus prepares to speak. "I need to speak to him..."

Focused as she is on the priest of Desna, and thrilled at the prospect of speaking to him, she does not notice as her cloak stirs slightly as if in a breeze, though if breeze it be, it affects nobody else standing near her. With a sudden twitch, her hood is seemingly blown back from her head, revealing a petite and attractive female face with extremely pale skin and white hair. For a moment, her gloved hand moves up towards her face as if she means to cover it or possibly to pull the hood up again. But then she stops as Father Zantus steps forward and clears his throat.

When the woman's scream rings out, Simflay's first thought is of a child. Someone's child has fallen she thought, or been hurt in some way and the cry was that of a distraught mother. But then there came another, and another. And then she heard came other sounds on the heels of the screams, strange to her ears and full of the sound of wicked glee.

"What in the name of the gods??" she thinks, looking quickly all around and seeing people starting to scatter in all directions. For a moment she hesitates. Unlike many of the people here, this is not her home, and she doesn't have an instinctive sense of which way to flee to safety. Just as she has decided that heading to towards the Cathedral is probably safest, the crowd parts just in time for her to see the murder of the dog.

Even though she doesn't recognize the creature itself, she doesn't need to know much to recognize murderous intent. And clearly from the sounds around, this one is not alone. Holding her arms out in front of her, she speaks in a breathy, gentle-sounding language. "Avoss Sirotessa-ma!"

If you understand Auran:
Grandfather, protect me!

There is a sudden gust of wind that slams into Simflay, causing her to take a half-step backwards to keep her balance and briefly blowing her cloak straight out behind her. Although the wind seems to drop again immediately, it leaves behind a suggestion of moving air that coils around her torso.

Activating her Air Barrier power. +4 to AC for the next hour. She effectively only gets +3 to AC since she already had +1 for the armor she is wearing. Net result - her AC is now 16.


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

Stepping out of the tavern with a mug in hand. Grulyn walks over to the stage to hear the next speech. Just as the speech starts he hears a dog yelp and then the chanting. The half drank mug of mead tumbles from his fingers since he has heard chants like that one many times in his life. With one fluid motion he swings his shield off is back on to his left arm and draws his warax.
"Peoples of Sandpoint, prepare to defend your homes from the Darkland's roaches!" Yells Grulyn.

And Grulyn makes haste to confront the goblins.


Male Human Inquisitor (Monster Tactician, Tactical Leader) HP 9/9 | AC 18 T 15 FF 13 | CMB +5, CMD 18 | F: +2, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +5 | Perc: +7, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None.

Brydan smiles and bows his head to Masdok as he moves on. Brydan watches the swallowtail release with some interest, though the story was not one he knew, it offered hope and excitement for the children which is never a bad thing to instill.

He made his way to the tavern with the roasted venison for his dinner before making his way to the Rusty Dragon for a few drinks. He wasn't much a fan of fish or the thought of a bit of spice in this summer heat might have been well received followed by a cool drink.

He made his way to the exterior of the crowd, he wasn't keen on being packed in like a sardine if he could help it. Besides, he could still hear the speech from where he was.

However, the cries of an animal and the screams from people quickly pulled his attention around. He whistles and flings open his traveling cloak and out materializes a rather robust eagle. He nods to it and sends it flying towards the Goblin. He directs it to hover outside of the creatures reach for now as a distraction.

Using Monster Tactician Summon Monster 1 ability. Costs a Standard action and then directing it to be 5 ft out of reach of the Goblin above it and to the west. That way it can swoop down and strike with it's talons and beak next turn.


None of the group has yet spotted the Goblin that killed the dog, but as you look over to where the dog is, coming from behind the cart are three goblins. You can hear getting louder and louder as they get closer to you (though not coming from these goblins) a chant.

"Goblins Chew and Goblins Bite
Goblins Cut and Goblins Fight
Stab the Dog and Cut the Horse
Goblins Eat and Take by force"

They are all in separate areas - one is on top of a table, kicking over food from the table and laughing with glee, Another is playing with the podium on the stage about 30 feet away from the cart, and the other is jumping on the dead dog with maniacal delight. Making the smallest gap between the goblins about 15 feet.

As all of you were distracted by the one that ran through the crowd, you didn't notice the other ones and so those two get a surprise round.

The one on the table picks up and knife and throws it at Grulyn "Oi Shouty, shut up! Hehehehehehe" he laughs as he throws a knife in your direction.

Goblin 1 Attack Roll[/Dice: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

The knife goes flying past Grulyns shoulder as the Goblin jumps up and down continuing with the maniacal laughter that pierces the air.

The one playing with the podium knocks the podium crashing onto the ground on the floor, laughing as he does so, but doesn't take any attacks.

As none of you noticed the other two goblins, they get a surprise round on you. Your actions above will happen on your initiative, on that note, we'll need to roll - also Anomander and the Doc can also roll for initiative, along with what they're planning their move to be

Goblin's Inititative: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13


Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

A lot of PbP GMs on Paizo roll initiative for the PCs, just to speed things along. Will we be using maps at all, or all theater of the mind? Just wondering.

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Masdok moves to kill a goblin.

He will move up to 35 feet and then either ready an attack or make an attack on the nearest goblin as appropriate. He will try to get them to come at him so he can make Attacks of Opportunity against them with his longspear as they approach.

longspear, power attack: 1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (1) + 5 - 1 = 5
cold iron, piercing: 1d8 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 6 + 3 = 17

It doesn't look from your description like there is already one in reach, but if there is then he would use studied target on it for +1 attack and damage on the roll above instead of moving.

EDIT: Looking at my roll it seems it was a moot point. :)


We'll be doing this as theatre of the mind, just easier on PbP to do it that way, your right that that is correct that people do usually roll initiative - but I find it easier if you roll because I let you all post your moves first, then do a post at the end with the summary, including the NPCs - just the way I find works as the most convenient - and as either way I'd be waiting for everyone to post, you might as well roll initiative as well in the initial one.

Also, your correct that none are within melee reach, but the square is about 50 feet by 30 feet. I'll cover the rest when everyone has posted :)


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Initiative: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

Well, that's a grim start to my initiative rolling career
Obviously, her action is as already stated. Activating her Air Barrier power

Simflay is startled to see that among all the citizens scattering in all directions away from the peril of the strange and violent creatures, there are some that stand their ground, and even move towards them as if to engage them.

"What are they doing? Can't they see these things are dangerous?"

Carefully and slowly she begins to edge her way towards the Cathedral.
She will move no more than 10 or 15 feet in the direction of the Cathedral. Going slowly to be careful not to step near any of the goblins


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

Initiative: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (12) - 1 = 11

"Ye grubby little garbage snipe. Ye aim is as bad as ye smell."

Grulyn moves over to the goblin on the table to take a swing. A gleam in his eye as he gets ready to remove a parasite for this town.

if not close enough he will double move

If he can attack:

Power War Ax attack: 1d20 + 4 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (17) + 4 + 1 - 1 = 21
dice+base+goblin-PA

damage: 1d10 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 3 + 2 = 11
dice+base+PA

"Your not laughing mush now, are ye"


Male Human Inquisitor (Monster Tactician, Tactical Leader) HP 9/9 | AC 18 T 15 FF 13 | CMB +5, CMD 18 | F: +2, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +5 | Perc: +7, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None.

Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

if the before action wasn't allowed then I will do so this round. Eagles have a 80ft fly speed so I dont have to worry about being out of range with him. Let me know if our earlier actions were round one after the goblins or if we are now in initiative. As stated before the Eagle will fly 5ft above the Goblin's reach to pester him and hopefully set up for a full round attack next round.


The earlier actions will be the first round as the other two goblins did get a surprise round on the group - just waiting on Anomander and Werner for their first round moves.


Male N Human (Shoanti) Slayer 1 | HP 17 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +5, CMD 17 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +1 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +0 | Speed 35ft | Studied Target | Active conditions: None.

busy week starts today. Feel free to bot me as soon as everyone else acts, it's tactically convenient, or my PC can address the check at hand.


No worries, gonna move things forward today so yeah, and for convenience sake will see where the other two are in the order

Anomander's Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

Werner#s Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7


as Anomander and Werner haven't provided any bot information or posts - they are going to be delaying their action this turn

Initiative Order:
Anomander, Goblin, Simflay, Grulyn, Brydan, Werner, Masdok

Anomander is the first to act, and prepares himself for whatever the Goblins do next.

The goblins get their next attack as the goblin on the food table throws a steak knife towards Brydan (about 20 feet away).

Goblin attack roll towards Brydan: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 Damage if a hit: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

The goblin by the wagon pushes the wagon away to run over the dog that had its neck sliced by the goblin, as it rolls a little bit over, squashing the dog underneath the wagon.

Coming out from a loud voice you hear something that Werner understands is Goblin - as you look over to the Podium and the goblin is making noises into the stone that Father Zantus was using before this incident occurred.

Simflay seeing the danger and all of a sudden a gust of wind surrounds her, providing her with an extra layer of protection, as she begins making her way over to the goblin by the cathedral (you have chosen not to get into melee with it at this point - Your movement places you about 25 feet away from the cathedral and 20 feet away from the podium in front of it where people have been speaking throughout the day).

Grulyn sees the goblin throwing cutlery and notices that there is a large sharp knife by the goblin that might be more dangerous if thrown, and he makes his way over there. The goblin smiles but then Grulyn takes his strike, instantly taking out the goblin in one strike as it lays bleeding out on the ground.

Brydan lets out a whistle while opening his jacket, and an Eagle comes flying out from under the folds and heads towards the goblin, setting up for an attack next round.

Werner looks around and thinks about what would be the best thing to do in this situation As the player has left no bot actions and hasn't responded - gonna have him delay for now until everyone has posted again - if Anomander/Werner haven't posted I'll deactivate them as characters when I do the next round summary

Masdok then steps up and heads to the goblin that Simflay is also approaching, getting within 10 feet and able to strike with his longspear. Unfortunately, the goblin puts the thunderstone that the priest was using in the way which manages to block it, as it looks in Masdok's direction.

That's the end of the round, so you guys can put your next actions for the next round


Male Dwarf Paladin 1 HP 6 /12 AC 16 ( Touch 9 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref -1 | Will +4 / CMB +4 | CMD 13 / Init -1 / Perception +2

Looking around for more goblins Grulyn makes his way to the next one.
"Ye fifthly garbage snipes, come taste me ax!"

Power War Ax attack: 1d20 + 4 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (18) + 4 + 1 - 1 = 22
dice+base+goblin-PA
Damage: 1d10 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 3 + 2 = 6
dice+base+PA


Female Sylph Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC:13 T:12 FF:11 | CMB:-1 CMD:11 | Saves F:+1 R:+2 W:+3 | Init: +8 | Perception:+1
Tracker:
for temporary things

Simflay stands stock still, staring at the goblin between her and the podium. Although she is standing still, and there is no wind blowing at present, her hair is flying out behind her as if in a strong breeze. She has done fairly well so far, avoiding the wild and well spaced out creatures, but now there is one squarely in her way, and for a moment she doesn't know what to do.

"Gods above! These things are insane! How do I get past that one? Surely there would be safety at the Cathedral"

She stands still, hoping not to draw the creature's attention as she considers her options. She runs through the handful of magic she has learned to perform in recent weeks but can see nothing obvious that she can do to get the goblin out of the way. She glances reluctantly at her quarterstaff, fearing that her only option may be to attack the strange, violent creature on the podium.

As she thinks, the taller of the two Shoanti men she saw earlier stalks past her and stabs out at the goblin with his spear. Although his attack is foiled by the goblin's parry, the sudden action spurs her on.

"Oh!," she thinks to herself, "the Shoanti again. He looks well prepared for battle. Perhaps I can follow him. If he slays the goblin we may be able to get away. In fact, perhaps I can help him. Hurry now Sim, help while you can!"

With that she steps up behind Masdok and speaks quietly but clearly to him. "Please, let me help you." She then reaches out her hand and taps him lightly on the back of the shoulder and speaks in a peculiar breathy sounding language.

"Iritosha dua Venshio shuishua malnna-sa"

Auran:
"Spirits of Wind guide his hand"

Simflay has effectively Delayed her action until Masdok acted. She now moves down the initiative to just after him (which I think puts her at the bottom of initiative.)

She has cast Guidance on him. So he gets a +1 competence bonus on a single attack roll, saving throw, or skill check. He must choose to use the bonus before making the roll to which it applies. The spell lasts for 1 minute or until discharged.

1 to 50 of 294 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.