GM SpiderBeard's Tyrant's Grasp

Game Master Barvo Delancy

Book One: The Dead Roads

Loot Tracker | Maps and Images


701 to 750 of 879 << first < prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | next > last >>

Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 2 | HP: 14/14 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 11 | F: +1, R: +0, W: +5 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 0/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 0/7 | Active conditions: None

From my position, if I were to use Hand of the Apprentice, would there be a penalty due to it going through Alara and Ridill's squares?


Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 2|HP: 14/16|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +1 Fort, +5 Ref, -1 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +6

Right. Rethinking my action.

Seeing Malvo get swarmed by the dolls, Alara starts running along the back of the walkway, her feet feeling much lighter as she moves. Perhaps without thinking, she manages to quickly make her way around, lapping Brother Tornell.

Spending a ki point to boost my speed by 20 feet this round. Double moving.


Male Halfling Bard 2 | HP: 16/16 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+1, CMD:12 | F:+1, R:+4, W:+3 (+6 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+7 | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 6/9 used | Spells Used: L1 1/3 | Active conditions: 1 CHA damage

Spiderbeard, if you are ok with it: if I had known Alara was running around, I would have stepped south instead of west, so as to give her a place to come toward, and to provide flank for Ridill.


.

I'm going to push on this and resolve the obvious actions. ARtyom would get a -4 attack, Malvo can move, and that would adjust Alara's attack to an obvious move/strike keeping her original roll.

GM Rolls:

Hand of the Apprentice: 1d20 + 5 - 4 ⇒ (17) + 5 - 4 = 18 Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3
Attack of OPportunity: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21 Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Malvo moves out of the way which lets Alara rush in. Everyone starts beating on the creepy little dolls to great effect, destroying one. Artyom then sends his quarterstaff flying through the air, smacking into another. It turns to Malvo, screaming as it leaps at the halfling with a scalpel in hand. He whaps it as it moves in, and it utterly fails to cut him up.

Round Two:

Soulbound Dolls:
Yellow (-8)
---
Malvo
Alara
Artyom
Tornell
Ridill

One doll left and everyone is up!


M Human Cavalier 2 | HP: 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +6, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +2| Perc: +8 | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1

Ridill smashes the remaining doll before it can get at Malvo a second time.

Greatsword: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
slashing/cold iron: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (4, 1) + 3 = 8


Male Middle-aged Human Cleric (Sarenrae) 1 | HP: 15/15 | AC:16 (T:10, FF:15) | CMB: +2, CMD: 12 | F: +4, R: +0, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +9 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 0:4 1:2+1 | Active conditions: N/A

Tornell grunts in annoyance between laboured breaths as Alara effortlessly runs past him. He continues to jog his way around, giving the stage a wide berth.


.

One huge sweep of Ridill's greatsword is enough to kill the remaining doll. It clatters to the ground, destroyed.

End of Combat

You now have a moment to look over the area and the stage. As you go through your typical explorations, you see that the barber's poll radiates strong magic.

You make your way southwards but stop at the corner as the hallway turns. Down the hallway is an open door, and you hear someone muttering in Sylvan from within the door.

Consulting the gods on the spellcraft DC for this one so bear with.

Map is updated.


.

Gonna house rule this.

Spellcraft DC 20:

This is a rod of lesser metamagic extend.


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 2 | HP: 14/14 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 11 | F: +1, R: +0, W: +5 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 0/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 0/7 | Active conditions: None

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27

Artyom steps closer to the barber's pole. "Well, well. A rod of lesser metamagic extend. I think I will take that." He takes it. However, it does cause his movement to be slower.

Now carrying 37.5 lbs. For me, that's a medium load.

Artyom and Ricky listen at the door at the muttering, listening for anything else.

Artyom's Perception (Alertness): 1d20 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 2 + 1 = 20
Ricky's Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10


Male Middle-aged Human Cleric (Sarenrae) 1 | HP: 15/15 | AC:16 (T:10, FF:15) | CMB: +2, CMD: 12 | F: +4, R: +0, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +9 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 0:4 1:2+1 | Active conditions: N/A

Tornell simply pants in annoyance (And {non-game affecting} fatigue) as he rejoins the group. He stays behind, readying his weapon as the group listens at the door.


Male Halfling Bard 2 | HP: 16/16 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+1, CMD:12 | F:+1, R:+4, W:+3 (+6 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+7 | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 6/9 used | Spells Used: L1 1/3 | Active conditions: 1 CHA damage

Malvo notes Artyom's discomfort with the added weight, but doesn't say anything while the wizard is listening at the door.


.

Artyom hears some muttering in what he now recognizes as Sylvan. It sounds more like someone talking to himself than a conversation.

Ridill's Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Your resident expert on all things fey picks up part of it. It sounds like someone plotting a coup against 'mother'. The voice sounds a lot like a tooth fairy.


M Human Cavalier 2 | HP: 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +6, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +2| Perc: +8 | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1

Sorry for the delay, lose track of time on the weekends >_<

"I think some fairies are plotting against some 'mother', she might be in charge here," Ridill whispers to the others as he listens in.


Male Halfling Bard 2 | HP: 16/16 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+1, CMD:12 | F:+1, R:+4, W:+3 (+6 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+7 | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 6/9 used | Spells Used: L1 1/3 | Active conditions: 1 CHA damage

Malvo whispers, "Maybe we could use this to our advantage? Capture the plotters and get Mother to help us? Alternately, help them and get a promise of their help?"

The halfling shrugs. "I don't much care who is in charge here, as long as we get what we need to get out."


M Human Cavalier 2 | HP: 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +6, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +2| Perc: +8 | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1

Ridill nods.


Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 2|HP: 14/16|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +1 Fort, +5 Ref, -1 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +6

The mention of Mother briefly causes Alara's eyes to tear up, but she shakes her head and refocuses.

"Think we ought to investigate?"


.

Still here, waiting on course of action.


Male Halfling Bard 2 | HP: 16/16 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+1, CMD:12 | F:+1, R:+4, W:+3 (+6 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+7 | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 6/9 used | Spells Used: L1 1/3 | Active conditions: 1 CHA damage

Malvo takes Ridill's nod as sufficient encouragement, and steps up. Weapon held, but at the side, not in a threatening position.

"I understand you are thinking about a change in management. Perhaps we could assist?"

Bluff +7 and Diplomacy +8, if either is relevant.


.

I'm going to assume that Ridill translates to speed things along.

You step into view.

Once an elegant study, this room has floor-to-ceiling bookshelves along the walls, a pair of heavy desks, and several overstuffed chairs. Most of the books have been shredded, their pages and covers forming small nests. The chairs have all been sliced open, their stuffing removed and likewise fashioned into small nests. An unsteady chair made of stacked books stands atop the larger of the room’s two desks. Loose teeth are piled on the shelves, affixed to the ceiling, and heaped on the floors in strange, spiky patterns.

The only exit from this room is a door leading south.

In the room are five tooth fairies, although one is far bigger than the others, and wears a crown of teeth and a very, very stupid moustache. He is gangly with gigantic ears and a weak chin.

"GREETINGTH I AM PRINCE USPID! And ah... yesssss... fat.. juicy teeth. Oh so brushed and pulsing with blood and... riiight. Yes! A pretender to my throne does live, my mother Queen Carnassial is a pretender to the throne! I am the rightful ruler of my people, but she will not relinquish power. She is upstaris, confined. If you eliminate her, perhaps we can do business... yes. What bring you here travellers? You with your glorious... luscious teeth."


Male Middle-aged Human Cleric (Sarenrae) 1 | HP: 15/15 | AC:16 (T:10, FF:15) | CMB: +2, CMD: 12 | F: +4, R: +0, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +9 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 0:4 1:2+1 | Active conditions: N/A

Tornell listens to Ridill's translation.

"Crazy weirdos. Hell if I know who'se better to support."


Male Halfling Bard 2 | HP: 16/16 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+1, CMD:12 | F:+1, R:+4, W:+3 (+6 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+7 | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 6/9 used | Spells Used: L1 1/3 | Active conditions: 1 CHA damage

With Ridill's help, Malvo explains, "We seek only free passage through your area of control as we follow the Dead Roads back to the land of the living. We were told by our original guide that the masters of the waystations could provide a stamp or mark that would ensure our safe travel."


.

His eyes light up. "Ah... yes! I, as the rightful ruler, absolutely have that stamp to let you pass. I will ask two things, that you dispose of the false Queen, and that you tithe to the King of the Tooth Fairies one of your beautiful, plump teeth. Each."


Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 2|HP: 14/16|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +1 Fort, +5 Ref, -1 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +6

Alara leans over to whisper to Malvo. ”Maybe we should see the Queen first?”

I don’t want to lose my teeth.


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 2 | HP: 14/14 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 11 | F: +1, R: +0, W: +5 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 0/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 0/7 | Active conditions: None

Prince Uspid. Now that's funny.

Artyom stays silent during the talks with the Tooth Fairy Prince. He's not very good at talking and negotiating; never was. That was more Vibia's forte. The thought of his sister makes him frown for a moment before he shakes the thought out. At Uspid's agreement and Alara's whisper, Artyom leans in as well. (I'm assuming that we're all close enough to each other to hear our whispers while keeping quiet from the tooth fairies.) "I agree with Alara. I think we should talk to both sides, see what each side can offer us. Maybe we can get them to get along. Either that or get enough information on the situation to make a well informed decision."


Male Halfling Bard 2 | HP: 16/16 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+1, CMD:12 | F:+1, R:+4, W:+3 (+6 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+7 | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 6/9 used | Spells Used: L1 1/3 | Active conditions: 1 CHA damage

Malvo nods at the conversation behind him and says (via Ridill), "Where will we find this pretender, and what sort of defenses should we expect her to have?"


M Human Cavalier 2 | HP: 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +6, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +2| Perc: +8 | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1

Clever Sarge, Ridill coyly thinks as he goes about being the interpreter for these... negotiations.


.

He produces a key which one of his minions flutters over to you. It's really weird to have these creatures staring at your teeth all the time.

"She has a few minions, but nothing you wouldn't be able to handle being so very big! I cannot risk a direct confrontation due to my royal... ness, but you and your plump succulent teeth will have no trouble with her I am sure! To reach her, you must go to the courtyard and take the southwest door! Goood luuuuck!"

Lemme know any further questions or I'll push on.


Male Halfling Bard 2 | HP: 16/16 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+1, CMD:12 | F:+1, R:+4, W:+3 (+6 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+7 | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 6/9 used | Spells Used: L1 1/3 | Active conditions: 1 CHA damage

"We shall see what we can do."

Malvo doesn't have anything else to ask.


M Human Cavalier 2 | HP: 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +6, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +2| Perc: +8 | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1

Ridill doesn’t either... is it a human sized key or a tooth fairy sized key?


Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 2|HP: 14/16|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +1 Fort, +5 Ref, -1 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +6

Alara purses her lips.

Right. Off to see the queen.


.

I'll say human-sized because the building is human-sized.

With the greedy lil bastards hungering after your tasty teeth, you head back down the stairs and into the courtyard. The original tooth fairies that met you are now gone, probably fled after their friends were defeated. The southern wall heads up three stories before a bridge over your head reconnects to the main building where the queen presumably waits.

You have two doors to try in the west and east. The key is for the western door.

I'll update again once at least one person chooses a door.


Male Halfling Bard 2 | HP: 16/16 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+1, CMD:12 | F:+1, R:+4, W:+3 (+6 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+7 | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 6/9 used | Spells Used: L1 1/3 | Active conditions: 1 CHA damage

In the courtyard, before ascending to the queen, Malvo asks the group, "How do we play this? My thought is to knock on the door and tell the queen that there is dissent in the ranks, and suggest she take out her rival before he takes her out. Our compensation for helping her out is the stamp to let us cross the area. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll fight each other and leave us out of it."


Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 2|HP: 14/16|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +1 Fort, +5 Ref, -1 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +6

"Sounds about right." Alara nods. "I mean, I don't want to give up my teeth."


M Human Cavalier 2 | HP: 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +6, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +2| Perc: +8 | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1

”Works for me.” Ridill adds, who was also in no rush to lose his teeth


1 person marked this as a favorite.
.

Need a decision. Door which you've been told that least you to the queen, or MYSTERY DOOR. Mystery door appears to be hanging open a littl and is not locked.


Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 2|HP: 14/16|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +1 Fort, +5 Ref, -1 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +6

Alara will sidle up to the mystery door and peek inside.

Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

...well, she sneaks up to it at the very least. "Hang on--I wanna see what's behind this door."


.

See? Call something a mystery door and NOBODY CAN RESIST.

Alara looks into a stable. Thankfully nothing tries to steal her teeth in it.

This room is a stable just large enough for one or two horses. Pegs on the wall hold a few decayed leather straps, the floor is covered with dried grass, and a pungent animal smell pervades the room.


Male Middle-aged Human Cleric (Sarenrae) 1 | HP: 15/15 | AC:16 (T:10, FF:15) | CMB: +2, CMD: 12 | F: +4, R: +0, W: +7 | Init: +4 | Perc: +9 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 0:4 1:2+1 | Active conditions: N/A

"Feh, these bastards apparently can't actually tell who has good teeth. Honestly wonder if I could get a rotten molar or two pulled out. Probably not the teeth they wanted, though."

"But anyways, let's just talk with the queen and get this nonsense over with."


M Human Cavalier 2 | HP: 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +6, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +2| Perc: +8 | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1

"Lass..." Ridill says in a flat tone as he watches the elf saunter off on her own towards the other door.


Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 2 | HP: 14/14 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 11 | F: +1, R: +0, W: +5 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 0/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 0/7 | Active conditions: None

Artyom sighs. "Here we go again..."


Male Halfling Bard 2 | HP: 16/16 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+1, CMD:12 | F:+1, R:+4, W:+3 (+6 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+7 | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 6/9 used | Spells Used: L1 1/3 | Active conditions: 1 CHA damage

Doesn't look like there's anything of interest here so...

Malvo looks to the other door. "Knock politely and see if we can start a civil war? Or use the key and drop in? My vote is the first."


M Human Cavalier 2 | HP: 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +6, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +2| Perc: +8 | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1

"First one then the other."


Male Halfling Bard 2 | HP: 16/16 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+1, CMD:12 | F:+1, R:+4, W:+3 (+6 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+7 | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 6/9 used | Spells Used: L1 1/3 | Active conditions: 1 CHA damage

Malvo steps up to the other door and knocks firmly.


Ki Points: 2/4|Female Elf Ninja 2|HP: 14/16|AC: 17/14/13|Saves: +1 Fort, +5 Ref, -1 Will (+2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. mind-affecting)|Init: +4|Perc: +6

"Eh, not a problem. Just a stables anyway." Alara returns to the group.


.

You were a weird scattering hissing sound from the south door. You recall Prince Uspid saying the Queen lived on the top floor. This outer wall (which is large enough to have rooms in it) connects to the top floor via a bridge above you.


Male Halfling Bard 2 | HP: 16/16 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+1, CMD:12 | F:+1, R:+4, W:+3 (+6 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+7 | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 6/9 used | Spells Used: L1 1/3 | Active conditions: 1 CHA damage

I completely misread your description earlier - I though we had already gone up the stairs and were outside the Queen's door. I was *really* confused by a stable at the top, but was just running with it! :-)

"Well, that's not the response I was expecting. Before we open the door, let's give a more thorough examination to the other side, maybe get an idea of what we're heading into."


M Human Cavalier 2 | HP: 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 12, FF: 16) | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +6, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +2| Perc: +8 | Speed 30ft | Challenge: 1/1 | Active conditions: ACP -1

Yeah I didn't bat an eye considering how this place is set up lol, poor Artyom.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human (Taldan/Varisian) Pact Wizard (Mercy Patron) 2 | HP: 14/14 | AC: 10 (T: 10, FF: 10) | CMB: +1, CMD: 11 | F: +1, R: +0, W: +5 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | The Artisan ability: 0/1 | Hand of the Apprentice: 0/7 | Active conditions: None

Yeah. If there was a stable at the top floor, Artyom's brain probably would have melted.


.

Okay!

The southwest door is clearly locked, and a second lock has been nailed on top of the door lock. You simply rip it off, but the door is only opened with its key - which you have.

Within are a wooden table and two chairs, and a ladder leading upwards.

However, more importantly as you open the door there's a weird rattling hiss sound, and a snake skeleton suddenly slithers across the ground to attack! Its head is a humanoid skull with a snake's jaws and it is altogether very violent.

Initiative:

Ridill: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Tornell: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Alara: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Artyom: 1d20 ⇒ 9
Malvo: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
Snakething: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Artyom's Knowledge Arcana: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24

Artyom immediately recognizes this as a common construct - a necrophidius. They are noted guardians and assassins which have a mesmerizing dance and a paralyzing bite. Being entirely made out of bones, they're best harmed by blunt weapons.

Round ONe:

Tornell
Malvo
Ridill
Alara
Artyom
---
Necrophidius


Male Halfling Bard 2 | HP: 16/16 | AC:15 (T:12,FF:14) | CMB:+1, CMD:12 | F:+1, R:+4, W:+3 (+6 vs Fear)) | Init:+1 | Perc:+7 | Speed 20ft | Bardic Performance: 6/9 used | Spells Used: L1 1/3 | Active conditions: 1 CHA damage

"Watch out, but not too closely!"

Standard action to begin Inspire Courage, standard to draw Morningstar. If anyone fails a save, I will drop the Inspire to cast Saving Finale.

701 to 750 of 879 << first < prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM SpiderBeard's Tyrant's Grasp All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.