GM ShadowLord's Tyrant's Grasp - Group 1

Game Master The Rising Phoenix

Roll 20

LOOT!


1,401 to 1,450 of 1,542 << first < prev | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | next > last >>

F Duskwalker Bard (Silver Baladeer) 3 | HP 20/20 | Defenses: AC 16, T 12, FF 14, CMD 16 | F:+2, R:+5, W:+5| Per: +7, SM: +5, Init: +2

Yep, it does at least for this round. And Lola moved in first, right after Demian- probably was a mistake, but she didn’t know everyone was hanging back when she did.

Note that the creature isn’t incorporeal for the moment, so it takes full damage. The full attack means that it can’t activate it’s incorporeality as far as I know.


Channel 3/5, Bolstering Touch 6/6, Seize the Initiative 5/6
Spells Remaining:
See Sheet
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Marya moves up to the door and calls upon her last channel for the day, selecting out the phantom.

Channel (blessed touch): 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (1, 3) + 1 = 5Blech, halved to 2

Marya and all her allies immediately get a reroll on any fear effects (including shaken) affecting them with a +1 bonus. Anyone not affected by a fear effect gets a +1 sacred bonus to AC and on attack rolls made as part of a charge

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

Still wielding his pole arm, Vlad steps back and strikes at the creature again. Feeling tired from his previous exertions, he nevertheless delivers a solid blow.

bardiche (power attack, fatigued, inspire courage): 1d20 + 6 - 1 - 2 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 6 - 1 - 2 + 1 = 221d10 + 4 + 3 - 2 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 4 + 3 - 2 + 1 = 13


M Human Paladin of Sarenrae 1/Oracle of Life 2 | HP 27/27 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +3, W +5 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | Scimitar +2 (1d6) | Longbow +5 (1d8) | Init -1 | Perception -1 (Deaf)

Any discussion was moot now, as their new ally lay on the ground, dying. Taking a leaf from Marya's book, Damian releases a burst of healing energy.

Channel: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7


female human sorceress 3 | HP 15/15; THP 0/0; N/L 0/10 | AC 12, TAC 12, FF 10 | F +2, R +4, W +4 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Per +3 Immolation Aura 3/3rnds | Spells: 1st 6/6

Seeing the phantom in the next room still putting up a fight Feen a cast her spell again and sent another tiny joly of electricity at the phantom.
jolt: 1d20 + 3 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (4) + 3 + 1 - 4 = 41d3 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Lola don't forget your will save for shaken.

Vlad does some major damage to the creature with this weapon from ten feet away, setting up Coral for a sneak attack from behind. Both attacks trike, but Coral's rapier has trouble injuring the phantom as badly as she thinks it should.

With Lola on the ground, the phantom turns its attention to Coral. Pivoting to the woman who stabbed it in the back, she unleashes a flurry of blows that rock her body with tremendous force. As her ribs crack and organs explode inside of her body. The phantom's fists burst through her chest just like what happened to Lola, inflicting severe trauma to the rogue. 9+10=19 damage + DC15 Will or become shaken for 1d4 ⇒ 1 rounds.

R4: Phantom, Feena, Damian R5: Coral, Vlad, Lola, Marya

GM:

Attack: 1d20 + 10 - 2 ⇒ (10) + 10 - 2 = 18
Damage: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
Attack: 1d20 + 10 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 10 - 2 = 20
Damage: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10


F Halfling Rog2/Ftr1 | HP 22/22 | AC 19, T 14, FF 16, CMD 15 | Mv 40' | F +5 R +8 W +2, +4 vs fear, Shake it Off | Init +3 | Per +9 (+10 traps) | Active: Triple Time

Coral has AC 19 for the round thanks to Marya's Channeling, if that makes any difference. Do need to pick up a shield. Also, with Damian's Channeling, Lola should be back to consciousness and thereby providing her Teamwork feat bonus. So:
Will, vs Fear, Shake it Off (2 allies): 1d20 + 2 + 4 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 2 + 4 + 3 = 15

Have we rested since we fought the Esobok? Not sure if I have my Lay on Hands back.


M Human Paladin of Sarenrae 1/Oracle of Life 2 | HP 27/27 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +3, W +5 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | Scimitar +2 (1d6) | Longbow +5 (1d8) | Init -1 | Perception -1 (Deaf)

"You're doing great, keep at it!" Damian shouts encouragement as he calls upon Sarenrae's blessing for the party.

Bless on the party, +1 to attacks and saving throws against fear effects for 2 minutes.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

The first hit was 18, so that one will miss. The 20 will still hit and do 10 damage. I do not believe you have rested since the Prince's room?


F Halfling Rog2/Ftr1 | HP 22/22 | AC 19, T 14, FF 16, CMD 15 | Mv 40' | F +5 R +8 W +2, +4 vs fear, Shake it Off | Init +3 | Per +9 (+10 traps) | Active: Triple Time

Badly wounded but still fighting, Coral strikes at the phantom again.
Rapier, Bless, Flanking, PA: 1d20 + 6 + 1 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (5) + 6 + 1 + 2 - 1 = 13
Missing, she steps aside to let Marya get in there.


female human sorceress 3 | HP 15/15; THP 0/0; N/L 0/10 | AC 12, TAC 12, FF 10 | F +2, R +4, W +4 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Per +3 Immolation Aura 3/3rnds | Spells: 1st 6/6

Seeing the injuries her friends are taking from this strange thing Feena quickly moved back and knew that now was the time. She chanted, gestured, and with the final word a "skree" sound like some bird of prey might make flames shot out from her hands to engulf her friends and the flames healed them, at least a little.

burning hands: 3d4 ⇒ (2, 4, 3) = 9
Everyone but Vlad and the phantom get 4 hp back. I am now out of 1st level spells.

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

"Hey!" Vlad yells as he slashes at the phantom again. "OVER HERE!"

Bardiche (flank, bless): 1d20 + 6 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 6 + 2 + 1 = 201d10 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12


Channel 3/5, Bolstering Touch 6/6, Seize the Initiative 5/6
Spells Remaining:
See Sheet
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Marya steps up and enters the melee herself, knowing they need to power down this monster before it takes them all down.

Because of how flanks work with reach weapons, I believe she has a flank with Vlad at the moment

Attack with Mwk Alchemical Silver Longsword (flank, power attack): 1d20 + 5 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (4) + 5 + 2 - 1 = 10
Damage (power attack): 1d8 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 1 + 2 = 10


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Vlad's bardiche puts an end to the combat with the unfettered phantom, it's body dissipating until it vanishes from sight completely.

Searching the room reveals 94 holy symbols around the bed that are worth 1 gp each, as they are wooden holy symbols for common deities. Sixteen others are worth 25 gp each, either because they are made of silver or because they are rare, representing a forgotten or unknown deity from far-flung locations across the planes.

The desk contains a mahogany snuffbox worth 90 gp as well as 78 pp and 14 gp. The papers in the desk include three scrolls that detect as magic. The desk also contains a single brown, leather glove stitched with a distinctive whorl pattern that also detects as magic.

One desk drawer contains nothing but eighteen oddly shaped iron keys: three engraved with a standing rectangle and the numbers 1 through 3, six engraved with a semicircle and the numbers 1 through 6, and nine engraved with a right triangle and the numbers 1 through 9. All of the keys radiate faint transmutation magic.

Spellcraft DC16:

Read Magic or Spellcraft DC23:
Scroll of halt undead.

Read Magic or Spellcraft DC24:
Scroll of fire shield.

Spellcraft DC32:


F Halfling Rog2/Ftr1 | HP 22/22 | AC 19, T 14, FF 16, CMD 15 | Mv 40' | F +5 R +8 W +2, +4 vs fear, Shake it Off | Init +3 | Per +9 (+10 traps) | Active: Triple Time

"The keys. One with a '9' on it, that seems the most obvious solution for 'Nine-Eaves'. There could be something I am missing, though."

Coral holds a hand to her side. "Thank you for your healing grace, Feena. I am not feeling great, but better than I was."
6 HP down from physical damage, and 3 HP down from the Con damage.

"Perhaps we can rest here before continuing on."

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

Vlad makes sure the others are okay before looking around.

"That was--an awful fiend, banished into the abyss from which it came. "

As they look at the keys, he says "I agree--it seems too easy to put the number on it."

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


F Duskwalker Bard (Silver Baladeer) 3 | HP 20/20 | Defenses: AC 16, T 12, FF 14, CMD 16 | F:+2, R:+5, W:+5| Per: +7, SM: +5, Init: +2

Lola blinks on the ground and shakes her head, groaning, ”Ay, mi pecho. That’s the last time I’m chasing after something in the Boneyard.” She gives a wan smile and then kips up quickly, and bows dramatically, ”gracias, for saving my life. That poor lost soul - I could do nothing for them. They were not of the dead, but a strange phantom.” She shakes her head.

”It was worth it if we found the keys. What’s adventuring without danger, right!” She seems exhilarated to have had such a close call.

She tries to help identify the things.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

”Looks like “challenger’s gloves,” unless I am mistaken.”


M Human Paladin of Sarenrae 1/Oracle of Life 2 | HP 27/27 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +3, W +5 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | Scimitar +2 (1d6) | Longbow +5 (1d8) | Init -1 | Perception -1 (Deaf)

Apparently the forums ate my post.

Damian tilts his head thoughtfully as he looks as the keys, scratching at his beard.

"Perhaps this is not a number puzzle, but a visual one. You know, the shapes on the keys making up the shape of the manor?"

He begins to arrange the keys in different configurations based on rectangles, triangles and semicircles, consulting his notes on the layout of the house.


Channel 3/5, Bolstering Touch 6/6, Seize the Initiative 5/6
Spells Remaining:
See Sheet
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

"A scroll of halt undead. I think I'll just hold onto that. Don't know about the other one. I'll make sure to prep read magic tomorrow in case none of us get it."

Marya massages her temples as she looks over the keys. "I think you've got the right idea, Damian. I'll help." Marya sighs and mutters under her breath. "Gods-damn puzzles."


female human sorceress 3 | HP 15/15; THP 0/0; N/L 0/10 | AC 12, TAC 12, FF 10 | F +2, R +4, W +4 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Per +3 Immolation Aura 3/3rnds | Spells: 1st 6/6

It was a great relief when the phantom went down and they didn't lose anyone. Feena looked around in concern at her injured friends and said, "I just wish I could do more but I'm afraid I'm out of any magic that matters so I would be up for resting as well."

As they examined the desk Ema began to look at the desk and it's contents via magical sight.
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

Unfortunately she had no idea what any of these things were. She turned her gaze to the keys instead and tried to contemplate which one was the key they needed. She too helped in trying to arrange the keys visually.

I have nothing on this latest puzzle. I'm sure there's something of a clue somewhere but I sure can't seem to figure it out.

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

Vlad nods at Damian's suggestion, seeing the logic in it. he looks for any patterns that might form a shape with all the keys.

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

Guessing there's not a graphic or something showing all the keys?


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Uhm, no, no graphical illustration. The only thing to note is the number differences on each key and the associated shape with it.

The group begins to play around with arranging the keys in certain patterns and configuration as well as studying them looking for closer clues. After thirty minutes of work however, they aren't any closer to solving the eighteen keys.


F Halfling Rog2/Ftr1 | HP 22/22 | AC 19, T 14, FF 16, CMD 15 | Mv 40' | F +5 R +8 W +2, +4 vs fear, Shake it Off | Init +3 | Per +9 (+10 traps) | Active: Triple Time

"The key with the '9' seems obvious, but maybe that's it. Still, let's sleep on it."


F Duskwalker Bard (Silver Baladeer) 3 | HP 20/20 | Defenses: AC 16, T 12, FF 14, CMD 16 | F:+2, R:+5, W:+5| Per: +7, SM: +5, Init: +2

Lola muses before they start testing combinations, looking at what they’ve seen so far, ”hmm, what are we missing. Or what is the house missing, more specifically. This key completes the mansion. Did we see every type of room?” She looks around and tries to remember what they’ve seen before, today, regarding the architecture and engineering of the building.

Knowledge (engineering), heightened awareness: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 7 + 2 = 25

Or another knowledge check - planes? All of mine are the same other than religion.


F Duskwalker Bard (Silver Baladeer) 3 | HP 20/20 | Defenses: AC 16, T 12, FF 14, CMD 16 | F:+2, R:+5, W:+5| Per: +7, SM: +5, Init: +2

Lola can’t do much from this room, so she’ll say, ”perhaps we should take a look at the whole of the building - outside and in?” She looks at the room to see if anything is the same shape as the keys. ”Maybe each of the locks has a rune on it, corresponding to a key of each type? Maybe there is a piece of furniture in each room with a corresponding key? Por favor, may I borrow the keys? I hope by my near-death experience that I have demonstrated that I am your ally.” She smiles genuinely, her mask up now for some time. It seems that as she has grown more comfortable with everyone, that she is more willing to show he face.

If given the keys, she will try to match the shapes and numbers on the keys to things in this room and adjacent rooms. If further allowed to explore, she will check out other rooms in the manor as well.

If this doesn’t work, maybe we look outside? I haven’t spent any time looking at the outside. Maybe there’s a weird number of towers? Or a part that was built but is not obviously accessible?

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

Vlad grunts, growing frustrated by this game.

"There were a couple of other rooms we didn't search. Let's do that first."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Moving south back into the room with the grasshopper note that detects as magic that you have note opened, you check the western doors and slide them open after Coral clears them.

In this room contains are two bunk beds made of thick, dark wood, one against the north wall and one against the south. The mattresses on each bed are neatly folded up, without pillows or bedclothes. A dresser and a small wooden chest stand against the west wall. The room’s only exit is a sliding double door in the east wall. Searching the trunk reveals only lines. A sliding door to the west reveals another small balcony.

Heading back south to the upper landing, you slide open the western doors into a sitting room. This dim room contains several ornate wooden chairs. The walls are adorned with framed, shadowy portraits of Kishokish. A glass door leads to a small semicircular balcony to the west. All of the paintings of Kiskokish here are remarkably dark and lacking color.

Heading back east to the stairs, the door to your east remains locked.


F Halfling Rog2/Ftr1 | HP 22/22 | AC 19, T 14, FF 16, CMD 15 | Mv 40' | F +5 R +8 W +2, +4 vs fear, Shake it Off | Init +3 | Per +9 (+10 traps) | Active: Triple Time

"I think we need to find a place to rest. This room with the beds seems promising enough."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

I'm unclear. Are we resting or exploring the rest of the house?


female human sorceress 3 | HP 15/15; THP 0/0; N/L 0/10 | AC 12, TAC 12, FF 10 | F +2, R +4, W +4 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Per +3 Immolation Aura 3/3rnds | Spells: 1st 6/6

I think the majority were for resting.


F Halfling Rog2/Ftr1 | HP 22/22 | AC 19, T 14, FF 16, CMD 15 | Mv 40' | F +5 R +8 W +2, +4 vs fear, Shake it Off | Init +3 | Per +9 (+10 traps) | Active: Triple Time

Some of the discussion about resting was on Discord. But with our spellcasters out of spells and Channels, and having not yet gained their spells from hitting level 3, we are not really capable of weathering another battle like that last one.
As I said on Discord, we have plowed on through 10 encounters since last resting, some of them quite tough.


F Duskwalker Bard (Silver Baladeer) 3 | HP 20/20 | Defenses: AC 16, T 12, FF 14, CMD 16 | F:+2, R:+5, W:+5| Per: +7, SM: +5, Init: +2

I never really got a response to my investigation, which could have occurred during the search we did with Vlad? Or pretend my post was fake? I can try it the next day, or eliminate it. But even while resting in the room with beds Lola could check for corresponding shapes. They’re not mutually exclusive. :)

”Bueno, we can rest if you want - I suppose we can do more investigation tomorrow but I can still compare the shapes to things in the room we intend to rest in.”


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Leaving the unexplored rooms on the ground floor and the locked room on the third floor alone for the time being, the group decides to take a rest. While they are preparing the room for the night, Coral and Lola return to talk to Kishokish. The portrait suggests that you examine the manor from the outside and count the exterior doors, balconies and eaves. In doing so they note that there are three doors, six balconies and eight eaves.

Returning to the room with the others to discuss, they barricade the middle bedroom with two beds and only one door. Setting up a schedule for a watch, they quickly pass out from exhaustion from the days events.

Trouble? Low=TROUBLE!: 1d100 ⇒ 86

The night passes without any trouble and the group awakens the next morning refreshed and ready to solve the dilemma of Kishokish.


F Halfling Rog2/Ftr1 | HP 22/22 | AC 19, T 14, FF 16, CMD 15 | Mv 40' | F +5 R +8 W +2, +4 vs fear, Shake it Off | Init +3 | Per +9 (+10 traps) | Active: Triple Time

"The keys: Three engraved with a standing rectangle and the numbers 1 through 3. Those are the three exterior doors. Standing rectangles. Six engraved with a semicircle and the numbers 1 through 6. Those are the six balconies. And nine engraved with a right triangle and the numbers 1 through 9. Those are the eaves, which are normally triangular, but of which there are only eight. The ninth key completes 'Nine-Eaves.' So the obvious answer is the right one, I think."

Coral takes a spot on the floor. She is exhausted, and though her sleep is wracked by strange dreams, she doesn't wake up until the morning.

Coral gets 3 HP back from resting, and heals 1 Con damage. Now down 2 Con and 3 HP (beyond those lost from the Con damage).


Channel 3/5, Bolstering Touch 6/6, Seize the Initiative 5/6
Spells Remaining:
See Sheet
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Marya is all-too-happy for the rest. She’s always needed more than the average amount of sleep to begin with, and this adventure was definitely taking its toll on her sleep debt. She wakes ready to go back to sleep, but too anxious for how tired she is to actually follow through.

As she goes through her usual prayers, she requests an extra spell to heal Coral.

Prepping two Lesser Restorations today, one for now and another to save. Con damage is no joke!

”Hold still for a moment, Coral. I’ll get you taken care of.”

Lesser Restoration: 1d4 ⇒ 3

After several quiet moments channeling Iomedae’ restorative power, Coral finds herself as hardy as usual once again.

”I think you’ve got the right idea, Coral, with the nine eaves. I’d say let’s go for it.”


F Duskwalker Bard (Silver Baladeer) 3 | HP 20/20 | Defenses: AC 16, T 12, FF 14, CMD 16 | F:+2, R:+5, W:+5| Per: +7, SM: +5, Init: +2

Lola wakes up, having been only brought to death’s door previously, but otherwise no worse for wear. She expends her own healing ability on anyone who needs it prior to resting, as well.

Overnight she has not attempted to murder anyone, allowing the party at least some peace of mind. She has an untroubled and dreamless sleep, though she tends to snore. In the morning, she retires to one of the manor restrooms for a short time and seems to, fix herself from her relatively desheveled state. She emerges, seemingly the same as you first met her, though with a slightly different hairstyle.

After she looks at the puzzle’s various components, she comes to the same conclusion as Coral. ”Indeed, that seems to be the most logical. I did not know the the manor name was Nine-eaves, so of course if there are only eight, the key out of place will be the ninth key which corresponds to the missing eave shape. En cualquier evento, we have no better ideas, so we might as well choose this!” She smiles at everyone and slips her mask down, again performing her triple-time performance and casting a spell to heighten her own mental abilities before they move on.

Triple Time on Vlad, Coral, and Lola. Cast heightened awareness before they go into the next room.

”Shall we explore the remainder of the vacant rooms in the mansión or do we wish to solve the puzzle?”


M Human Paladin of Sarenrae 1/Oracle of Life 2 | HP 27/27 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +3, W +5 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | Scimitar +2 (1d6) | Longbow +5 (1d8) | Init -1 | Perception -1 (Deaf)

"I think the faster we are out of here, the better. Let us solve this last piece of the puzzle and see what tasks are put before us after that."

Damian stretches his stiff body after sleeping on the floor. He did wake up several times during the night as the manor shifted and creaked around them, and seems a little grumpy this morning.


F Halfling Rog2/Ftr1 | HP 22/22 | AC 19, T 14, FF 16, CMD 15 | Mv 40' | F +5 R +8 W +2, +4 vs fear, Shake it Off | Init +3 | Per +9 (+10 traps) | Active: Triple Time

So with Lola's remaining healing before resting, I guess Coral is fully healed. Thank you Lola!

Coral bows her head respectfully while Marya calls down the Inheritor's blessing on her, restoring the halfling's vitality.
"Thank you, Marya. Praise Iomedae."

"The portrait of Kishokish said that this key would open the door to the Ballroom.
We know that somewhere in the manor there is a grasshopper-headed Sahkil named Vithiz, who carries a staff that contains the soul of Kishokish. My guess is Vithiz is in the Ballroom.
I suppose we should go there straight away, rather than get beaten up some more on our way there. Should we defeat this Vithiz, we can explore the rest of the manor afterwards."

Also, Marya had said she was going to prep Read Magic to identify the other scroll we found.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

All the identifications were in spoilers above.

After everyone is ready, the group removes the barricades on the door and peeks out to find the room beyond empty as they left it. Returning to the door stairwell outside the locked room, Vlad takes the key and inserts it into the locked door.

The key unlocks the sliding door into the ballroom. Wooden pillars carved to resemble thin trees support the ceiling of this enormous ballroom. Stairs lead up to a balcony at the south end of the room protected by a wrought-iron railing. A low stage under the balcony contains benches and music stands. The walls are painted with misty forest scenes, each image featuring a clearing with a grave or mausoleum.

A gaunt creature stands in this room, wings buzzing behind it. A grasshopper serves as its head. Its arms split at the elbow, and its four claws grip a staff with a hanging lantern. This must be the creature you've been looking for!

A raspy whisper fills your minds. "How did you get in here? No matter. I'll slaughter you are and savor the sound of your screams!"

The creature mutters a few words and its body begins to blurr, shifting, and wavering, making it difficult to see exactly where it is.

Knowledge (planes) DC 16:
That is a wihsaak. Wihsaaks prey on the fear of creeping, crawling, and buzzing insects. Instead of whispering from the shadows, wihsaaks blatantly present their unnerving insectile forms to frighten and demoralize humanoid mortals. Their droning wings cause temporary confusion and they can vomit forth swarms of insects.

Vlad takes stock of their foe and charges ahead to close the distance, nearly making it all of the way there. As he gets closer, the creature's fearful gaze causes Vlad to stutter a half-step and lose some of his vigor.

This creature has a gaze attack! Anybody within 30 feet meeting its gaze must make a DC 18 Will save against fear or be shaken for 1d4 rounds. You may choose to avert or close your eyes as usual.

R1: Grasshopper, Vlad (Shaken - R5), Damian, Lola, Feena, Cora, Marya

GM:

Damian: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18
Feena: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Marya: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (13) + 0 = 13
Coral: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Vlad: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
Marya reroll: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (14) + 0 = 14
Lola: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
W: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Vlad Will: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
1d4 ⇒ 4


M Human Paladin of Sarenrae 1/Oracle of Life 2 | HP 27/27 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +3, W +5 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | Scimitar +2 (1d6) | Longbow +5 (1d8) | Init -1 | Perception -1 (Deaf)

Damian follows the others as they step into the ballroom, recoiling at the sight of the creature that awaits them.

Knowledge planes: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

"Sarenrae, shine your light upon us, that we may carry out your will." he murmurs as he grasps the holy symbol at his throat.

"Take heart, my friends. We will prevail."

Cast Bless on the party, +1 morale bonus to attack rolls and saves against fear for 2 minutes. Further, using The Optimist trait as a swift action to grant Lola +1 on saving throws against mind-affecting effects for 1 minute.


F Duskwalker Bard (Silver Baladeer) 3 | HP 20/20 | Defenses: AC 16, T 12, FF 14, CMD 16 | F:+2, R:+5, W:+5| Per: +7, SM: +5, Init: +2

knowledge (the planes), heightened awareness: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 7 + 2 = 16

”¡Mierda! A wihsaak! A type of Sakhil, everyone. It has a gaze attack that demoralizes. Thank you Damian.”

She wracks her brain thinking about what else it does, ”also, sus alas - wings, they can make a sound - I cannot counter it - that can confuse us all. Be careful - if we can boost our mental fortitude in general, we may be able to resist it.” Mind affecting sound based extraordinary ability. Damian may be immune. She pulls down her mask and dances over to the other side of Coral, staying close to her ‘shake it off’ buddy.

Inspire courage for all, though the morale bonus on saves vs fear does not stack with Bless. +1 competence bonus to attack and damage at least.

For reference, Lola has a +10 on saves vs fear right now. :)


female human sorceress 3 | HP 15/15; THP 0/0; N/L 0/10 | AC 12, TAC 12, FF 10 | F +2, R +4, W +4 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Per +3 Immolation Aura 3/3rnds | Spells: 1st 6/6

Relieved that they could rest for a while Feena awoke feeling much better and readily agreed with checking out the exterior of the mansion for the clue. That they found what they needed and got the door opened was a relief, that they found something so hideous was not.
Know (planes): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
She recognized the thing as well and called out, "It can vomit up swarms as well!" Feena knew she couldn't get close enough to do very much to the thing but she could be ready to handle the swarms if they appeared, so she moved a bit closer but stopped so the others could get ahead of her allowing her to use her flames to heal if need be.


Channel 3/5, Bolstering Touch 6/6, Seize the Initiative 5/6
Spells Remaining:
See Sheet
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Knowledge (planes): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

Marya does not recognize the creature as a sakhil, so she’s thankful her comrades do. She inspires her comrades while most of them are still close, expecting everyone will advance and spread out shortly.

+2 sacred bonus on attack rolls, saving throws, and skill checks to everyone save Vlad


F Halfling Rog2/Ftr1 | HP 22/22 | AC 19, T 14, FF 16, CMD 15 | Mv 40' | F +5 R +8 W +2, +4 vs fear, Shake it Off | Init +3 | Per +9 (+10 traps) | Active: Triple Time

"Damn it, Vlad! What are you doing??"

Maybe that was in-character of him, but "double move to engage" is generally a terrible idea. Especially against foes that are not known to be dangerous at range. Usually better to let them come to you.

Coral moves up, drawing a dagger in her off-hand, and throws it. Her rapier is in her main hand.

Ranged Attack, IC, Bless, Inspiring Sword, 35': 1d20 + 6 + 1 + 1 + 2 - 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 + 1 + 1 + 2 - 6 = 9


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Coral's ranged attack misses, her dagger sails way to low and striking the wall behind the flying target.

No tactics were discussed ahead of time and it seemed like something Vlad would do, especially if it is a terrible idea! Lola's triple time boost actually gave him enough to charge, so I'll throw an attack in there off the end of his movement from the previous round.

Vlad Charge Heavy Flail, Shaken: 1d20 + 6 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (8) + 6 + 2 - 2 = 14

Vlad's attempt to bash the creature with his flail fails, partly in part due to the temporary fear he has of the wihsaak. The creature retaliates with four quick slashes of its claws in rapid-fire attacks, three of which strike Vlad (5+4+5=14 damage). He move 5' closer to Coral and looks over his shoulder at her. Coral is now within 30', please make a DC 18 Will save against fear or be shaken for 1d4 rounds.

Vlad shouts "Your tricks are at an end! You will defile this place no more!"

Vlad Heavy Flail, Shaken, Bless, IC: 1d20 + 6 - 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 6 - 2 + 1 + 1 = 21
Damage, IC: 1d10 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 4 + 1 = 13
Miss %, Low=Bad: 1d100 ⇒ 69

Despite his trepidation, Vlad brings his flail crashing down on the sakhil with tremendous force, striking his true target even through the blurred magical effect on the creature. Unfortunately almost all of his damage is somehow negated by this creature's natural defenses and only a small portion of his damage goes through (It has DR10)

R2: Grasshopper, Vlad (Shaken - R5), Damian, Lola, Feena, Coral, Marya

GM:

Attack Vlad, Claw: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27 Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Attack Vlad, Claw: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26 Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Attack Vlad, Claw: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24 Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Attack Vlad, Claw: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14 Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4


F Halfling Rog2/Ftr1 | HP 22/22 | AC 19, T 14, FF 16, CMD 15 | Mv 40' | F +5 R +8 W +2, +4 vs fear, Shake it Off | Init +3 | Per +9 (+10 traps) | Active: Triple Time

Two points about Vlad - first, he has DR 1/-, so that's a bit less damage that he took (1 less on each hit). And second, I think he uses Power Attack all the time, with a 2-handed weapon. Otherwise, I do agree that charging in like that is what he would do. But it is a terrible idea that splits the party.

Will vs Fear: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 6 + 1 = 9
Duration: 1d4 ⇒ 3

Though shaken by this terrible fiend, the halfling swallows her fear and moves to help her comrade.
"We need help here! Vlad isn't going to fall back!"

Attack to Aid Another on Vlad's next attack, Bless, IC, CE, Shaken: 1d20 + 6 + 1 + 1 - 1 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 6 + 1 + 1 - 1 - 2 = 20 +4 to Vlad's next attack.

Coral is AC 19 this round.

Bodyguard #1:
Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15 +4 to Vlad's AC

Bodyguard #2:
Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 Failure

Bodyguard #3:
Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8 Failure, as Coral's lingering fear of this creature holds her back. Unless something changes before the Bodyguard AOO happens.

Bodyguard #4:
Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16 +4 to Vlad's AC


M Human Paladin of Sarenrae 1/Oracle of Life 2 | HP 27/27 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +3, W +5 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | Scimitar +2 (1d6) | Longbow +5 (1d8) | Init -1 | Perception -1 (Deaf)

Damian wastes no time in nocking an arrow and stepping forward, his bow at full draw. He takes a deep, steadying breath as he sights down towards the creature, calling upon Sarenrae's wrath in dealing with this unnatural threat. The arrow flies true, embedding itself in the sakhil's gaunt body.

Attack, smite evil, IC, IS, PBS: 1d20 + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 32 Damage, smite evil, IC: 1d8 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 3 + 1 = 12
Crit confirm?: 1d20 + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 21 Crit damage: 2d8 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (7, 7) + 6 + 2 = 22

The Exchange

Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 2 | HP 33/33 [39/39 Rage] [DR/1] | AC 18 [15 Rage]; Tch 12; FF 16 | F +8; R +2; W +3 | CMB+6; CMD 17 | Speed 40 ft | Init +2 | Heavy Flail: +6 (1d10+4/19-20) | Perc +7

"Terrible Ideas" is Vlad's middle name.

With much of his previous attack absorbed by the creature, Vlad decides to hit it harder. Doing little to avoid its attacks, his arms outstretched to take any punishment it deals, he retaliates with his heavy flail.

"Fall back? In our moment of triumph?!"

Heavy Flail (power attack, inspiring sword, RAGE!, reckless abandon, bless): 1d20 + 6 + 2 - 1 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 6 + 2 - 1 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 201d10 + 7 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 7 + 3 = 19

With previous healing from last night, plus my 1 DR, I should be down 13 hp at 20/33 [26/39 rage]


F Duskwalker Bard (Silver Baladeer) 3 | HP 20/20 | Defenses: AC 16, T 12, FF 14, CMD 16 | F:+2, R:+5, W:+5| Per: +7, SM: +5, Init: +2

Post soon - but Vlad, don’t forget inspire courage.


Channel 3/5, Bolstering Touch 6/6, Seize the Initiative 5/6
Spells Remaining:
See Sheet
Spells/Effects Active:
AC 17 T 10 FF 17 | Current HP 24/24| F +4 R +1 W +7 (+1 vs illusion+charm)| Init +0 | Perc +3

Marya rushes into the room so she’s in a better position to support her allies with her spells.

”I can bless one of your weapons! It might help.”

Double move!

EDIT: Realized i got within gaze range. She will avert her eyes this round.

Avert Eyes (high is always good for me): 1d100 ⇒ 42
Will Save: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

1,401 to 1,450 of 1,542 << first < prev | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM ShadowLord's Tyrant's Grasp - Group 1 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.