Agents of TAROT: Chariot Crew

Game Master Tarren Dei


1,051 to 1,100 of 1,152 << first < prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | next > last >>

Masculine Android Mechanic | HP 16/16, Stamina 12/12, Reserve 5/5 | EAC 14, KAC 15 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +0 | Init +5, Perception +5

Ueda surveys the newer, longer reconstruction passively. His own emotionless gaze only further accentuates the differences Ueda-Prime shows; every emotion that plays out on his face, every small expression and physical display, contrasted by Ueda's stoic, almost statuesque demeanor.

You know there must have been a split. Something that happened to one of you and not the other, that made you turn out this way. I wonder what it was.
I hypothesized as much when I first noticed the difference in our behaviors. Please allow me to concentrate.
Hmmph. I bet THAT Immanuel is more polite. Hey, I wonder if he also has me.

When the recording ends, and Gabriel quickly plays through the focused footage of the anti-android crowd, Ueda begins walking around the reconstruction again, specifically pausing at each of the familiar faces in the crowd.

"I can understand why the police would have their own priorities. The Earth 4 Earthlings members seem to have had a much more passive role in the event. Hatemongering and some physical threat, yes, but they were the furthest from the center. And without a clear display of who triggered the explosion, focus needs to turn to those who would be nearer and have potential access. Those who display suspicious behavior. Including apparent awareness of the imminent danger, and precise knowledge of when it will occur." He looks at the spot where Ueda-Prime and Brennan hit the ground.

"To summarize our own involvement: Milo and Carson appeared to be working undercover, looking for a man whom they witnessed shortly before the explosion, and whom Carson attempted to follow afterwards. Why Milo chose to take the form of Jade is unknown, but her actual absence may be a factor. Brass and Vonash seemed to be involved simply as bystanders, and were caught in the blast. I accompanied Doctor Brennan to the event at her request, and was reluctant to go there as well as whatever destination she had in mind to follow. They also expressed concern over the chance of danger, and the belief that I would protect her. Perhaps I was a bodyguard in some capacity, along with whatever other relationship they shared."

He taps his fingers on his thigh several times, an apparently conscious display of deep thought.

"There are still many questions to pursue. What was the threat to Doctor Brennan? Where was she going after the protest? How did Ueda-Prime know the explosion would occur--did he perceive the change in signal from the ship, as I did, and then happen to look in time to see the countdown? Or did he have some further knowledge of the attack? Moving to the other main point of questions: What is it that Carson and Milo were looking for? Who is the man they chased? And finally: Where are the survivors? Jade, Carson, and Doctor Brennan, at the very least, apparently survived the attack. But Jade-Prime was presumed dead at first--so where is she now, and why has she not come forward?"

He looks around at the others. "Have I missed anything that you think is worth noting?"


"Carson is alive!" declares Milo. That fact hadn't fully registered previously when he'd seen the reconstruction. Perhaps he was overwhelmed by watching Milo-Prime/Jade-Prime become jelly, but even after he saw Carson exit the reconstruction this time, it hadn't occurred to him would it all meant until Ueda said it out loud. "Carson is alive and he's a good guy!"


Male EAC:15 KAC:17 |HP:18/18 SP:14/14 RP:5/5 |Fort:3, Ref +4, Will+3 |Init +8 Per+2|Hunting Rifle+7, 1d10 6/6 /45 Soldier 1

Brass shakes his head the barrage of questions without answers being a bit much for him. “With Carson alive we should try to contact him, he may have some information on what’s going on as well as Dr. Brennan. Maybe this is where we should focus instead of the senators lead.”


Female N Lashunta Mystic (XenoDruid) Wild Warden 1 | Active Conditions: None | SP 12/12, HP 14/14, RP 4/4 EAC 11. KAC 12 | Fort -1, Ref +2, Will + 6 | Per +5 (low light), Sense Motive | Speed 30 ft | Telepathy 30 ft

"Whatever we do we should NOT do the senators bidding. I don't trust that bastard at all. Trying to contact Carson and Dr Brennan seems like a good idea to me"


female lashunta mystic (xenoseaker) 1 | SP 11 | HP 22 | RP 4 | KAC 13; EAC 12 | F -1; R +1; W +7 | Perception +7 | Limited Telepathy 30 ft | Healing Touch 1/d | SP At Will: daze, psychokinetic hand; 1/1 detect thoughts | Spells: 1st-3/3

Still here, still interested, just not a scene that Scera really understands.

With Mr. White gone and the crystal read Scera found it all suspicious. This was far too easy and why didn't the senator turn this information over before. Scera nodded at the consensus that Vonash gave and said, "I agree, the Senator is trying to hide something." She shrugged in annoyance, "I mean why not speak to us in person instead of through the Meat Puppet unless he didn't want us," she gestured to Vonash and herself, "getting too close to him."

Scera thought it through some more and said, "I think following this lead is more likely t be the best thing for you to do to solve this mystery." Scera looked in the general direction of where the meeting occurred, "The Senator still concerns me and I think we need to look into him as well."

Scera turned her gaze back towards the others as she hesitantly said, "Since the Senator wanted to speak with me, maybe I can arrange an appointment with him in person and see what I can learn." She smiled naughtily then as she continued, "Manipulating men is what I do after all so maybe I can learn something from him."


Jade previously suggested trying to track down Jade-Prime. Ueda, Vonash, and Brass have mentioned tracking down Samantha Brennan or Carson-Prime. Scera has mentioned contacting the Senator. I feel this game usually pauses when it comes to making decisions like this. I can handle any and all of these. It's up to you where you go next.

"Excuse me for interjecting," says Gabriel. "Police reports still list Dr. Essex, or, rather, Dr. Essex-Prime, Dr. Brennan, and Carson among the missing and presumed dead. In Carson's case, DNA evidence was provided. I'm not sure how much that will complicate finding them. It seems that, if they are alive, which it is beginning to appear they are, you would be the most likely people to know where they were. This, in itself, is surprising."

Gabriel continues reflectively, "I do agree with Dr. Ueda's assessment earlier. Something does not add up. Consider the connections between Jade-Prime, Milo-Prime, and Carson-Prime, and the fact that Ueda-Prime is now being treated as a suspect. There are too many coincidences and ones that I could not have known about, in the alternate timeline, before selecting you from the alternate timeline for this mission. I am beginning to question my own objectivity as my decision-making seems influenced by knowledge I am not aware of ... I believe humans call it 'intuition.' I am not designed for intuition. I believe I should run a systems scan as soon as you no longer need me."

You have some knowledge about these people. They are 99% like some of you. You can make Sense Motive and Computer Use checks, or visit places you know they live or have lived. If your Computer Use check is specific and focussed on a database or something where a clue might reside, the DC for success is lower.


Masculine Android Mechanic | HP 16/16, Stamina 12/12, Reserve 5/5 | EAC 14, KAC 15 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +0 | Init +5, Perception +5

Any chance that Ueda making a Sense Motive check against himself ignores the Flat Affect rule for androids? I could see it going either way.

"Carson does seem to be alive, although how well he is, or what he is now doing, is difficult to say. Tracking him down would be a good idea." Ueda turns to Scera and Vonash. "I agree that the Senator has done enough to remove any trust we might have given him. Meeting with him might be a dangerous plan, but it could also reveal valuable information if you are confident in your ability to obtain it. In the meanwhile, I would very much like to try and find Doctor Brennan. She should be able to fill in many missing pieces of information for me, in particular."

Ueda begins to walk from the center of the hologram display. "I believe I have no more questions for you, Gabriel. Self-awareness in any form is a good practice. I would encourage your scan, and I hope the results are positive." The scientist pauses near the elevators. "Ah, but I do have a question for those who went partying last night. Might I use the holoskin while we are investigating outside of this base? If I am presumed either dead or a suspect in this attack, it would be good if I could mask my appearance. I should be able to reprogram it to something innocuous."

Ueda returns to the terminal he used for his prior research, and begins searching for everything he can find on Doctor Brennan, on where survivors from the explosion were taken, on himself... and, finally, on Personae Ex Machina. With the last, after doing what he can through open channels, he hesitates for a long moment before attempting to access their secure network, using his own old access keys.

Ueda will happily take 20 on all of this if it won't take more than a day to do so (total); if not...
Computers for Brennan: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30
Computers for Survivors: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23
Computers for Ueda-Prime: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19
Computers for Personae Ex Machina: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19


Immanuel Ueda wrote:
Any chance that Ueda making a Sense Motive check against himself ignores the Flat Affect rule for androids? I could see it going either way.

Sense Motive checks against yourself are more inwardly reflective. You know Ueda. What would he do? Flat Affect more refers to what you read on the face, so not relevant, I'd say. Jade knows Jade-Prime, at least 99% of her so to speak... she knows from a television interview that Jade-Prime lives in a place that always meant a lot to Jade-Prime ... where would that be? (I don't know, but Jade might.) She also knows that Jade-Prime maintained the same unit Jade lived in despite having purchased this more 'sentimental' home.


"So, if we're splitting up" says Milo, "who wants to roll out with the talking monkey? Also, did you know this place has a vintage car collection in that garage outside, just down the hill? I went exploring last night too. They're all historical, so I'm sure they're just for time travel stuff, but we could roll out in a vintage 2065 Apple Jeep if we don't mind getting stared at."


Tarren the Dungeon Master wrote:
If people feel they're done with this adventure, I'm okay with that. We have had quite a decent run. No shame. I'm happy with continuing though and am enjoying this. Since Ueda asked Gabriel to show the updated reconstruction, I'll do that now. Either way.

Absolutely not interested in calling this quits! Apologies for the silence on my end, I was traveling and the internet was worse than I anticipated it being.

Jade listens to Immanuel theorize, voicing aloud some similar thoughts that she had had.

"The threat to Doctor Brennan may well be related to why Jade-Prime was absent. I watched some of 'Reality Prime' and interviews with Jade-Prime last night. Apparently Doctor Brennan and Jade-Prime are outspoken against the anti-android groups, which makes them both targets for abuse. Jade-Prime as one of them, and Doctor Brennan as a sympathizer. If Jade-Prime is still in hiding, my guess is that she believes herself to still be a target."

She pauses, turning to the others. "Jade-Prime was very secretive about where she was living, which I believe to be a location that I know. I would like to begin the search there, for Jade-Prime herself, or at least clues as to where the threats originated, what this mission was, or where the missing Doctor Brennan may have gone."


I'm okay if people want to go in different directions. Jade wants to go look for Jade-Prime. Scera has talked about visiting the senator. Ueda wants to find Dr. Brennan.

Ueda begins to search for Brennan. Official records still show Dr. Brennan as being missing and presumed dead. Ueda knows different. Starting with the reconstruction at the point in which emergency workers remove Samantha Brennan from the scene of the disaster, Ueda is able to advance the reconstruction and see which ambulance she was taken away in. Although there is no record of her at that hospital, there is a record for a J. Doe brought in by that ambulance at the approximate time the ambulance would have arrived. The record shows her arriving at the hospital but does not indicate she has been released.

There were dozens of other survivors showing up at emergency rooms after the accident. Most of them were taken to the nearest hospital, but some of the minor cases were routed to other hospitals or smaller clinics.

Ueda doesn't find much more about Ueda-Prime, who apparently preferred his privacy and took care to avoid leaving too much of a digital footprint.

Ueda uses his/Ueda-Prime's access keys to Personae Ex Machina's networks. At first the network firewall appears to block him, but, then, he's granted access.

If you decide to take 20, and make a day of it, you can do that too, but others might move and do other things.


If Jade makes a Sense Motive check, she might be able to figure out where Jade-Prime was speaking of when she said she bought a place that meant a lot to her. You're basically making a Sense Motive check to understand your own feelings. hehe.


Jade Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9 Maybe I do not know myself as well as I thought.


Jade Essex wrote:
[dice=Jade Sense Motive]1d20+5 Maybe I do not know myself as well as I thought.

Jade cannot figure out what sentimental place Jade-Prime was referring to when she spoke of her second home.


female lashunta mystic (xenoseaker) 1 | SP 11 | HP 22 | RP 4 | KAC 13; EAC 12 | F -1; R +1; W +7 | Perception +7 | Limited Telepathy 30 ft | Healing Touch 1/d | SP At Will: daze, psychokinetic hand; 1/1 detect thoughts | Spells: 1st-3/3

Since it seemed no one had any particular opinion on her suggested course Immanuel's point was well taken and Scera considered it carefully. He was right that it was a potentially risky decision but she felt it could be worthwhile. On the other hand she might be better off to let him approach her again, particularly since she was rather miffed at his earlier behavior of trying to meet with her using that meat puppet to try and talk to her.

Scera finally finished her deliberations and decided, "I think I'll wait on the Senator for now. If I approached him this quickly after the displeasure of his use of that meat puppet it would seem strange. Better to tease him for a time and make him come to me on my terms." She looked up vaguely and asked, "Gabriel, do you have the Senator's contact number?"


"I can easily contact the Senator, but only through his aides. I have no direct access channel."


female lashunta mystic (xenoseaker) 1 | SP 11 | HP 22 | RP 4 | KAC 13; EAC 12 | F -1; R +1; W +7 | Perception +7 | Limited Telepathy 30 ft | Healing Touch 1/d | SP At Will: daze, psychokinetic hand; 1/1 detect thoughts | Spells: 1st-3/3

"Damn," Scera said, "That plan won't work then, at least not quite yet anyway." She sighed, "Guess i need to rethink this plan a tad." Another idea hit Scera then and she asked, "Gabriel, [b]"does the Senator have any scheduled appearances at any events coming up? If so are they something you could obtain a way for me to get into?"


Gabriel responds to Scera after a few seconds to search for information "Senator Parker Bird is expected to attend the opening of the Late 21st Century Wing at the Museum of Human Ingenuity tomorrow night. Given his past speeches, he will probably make some reference to how things in the past were of better quality and then add his laugh line, 'And I know this to be true, because I was there."

Gabriel searches a little more, "You should note that Earth For Earthlings is planning a rally out front of the event tomorrow claiming that androids and lashunta are attempting to claim credit for saving Earth and Earthlings in the 21st century but that humanity was quite capable of saving itself. I can find no record of androids or lashunta making any such claim. Nor do there appear to be any plans for a counter-rally."

Gabriel pauses for some time, "They are of course absolutely incorrect. The data is unequivocal. Earth would have been ... I believe the term at the time was 'screwed' ... if the lashunta terraformer ships hadn't arrived when they did."


female lashunta mystic (xenoseaker) 1 | SP 11 | HP 22 | RP 4 | KAC 13; EAC 12 | F -1; R +1; W +7 | Perception +7 | Limited Telepathy 30 ft | Healing Touch 1/d | SP At Will: daze, psychokinetic hand; 1/1 detect thoughts | Spells: 1st-3/3

Scera listened to this new information. It seemed that she and Vonash didn't really need to disguise themselves all that much when going out. That being said it was probably still safer that way most of the time she figured. She thought through what was said about the rally and the protestors and then asked, "Does the Senator talk with the people directly during these events?"


Scera wrote:
Scera listened to this new information. It seemed that she and Vonash didn't really need to disguise themselves all that much when going out. That being said it was probably still safer that way most of the time she figured. She thought through what was said about the rally and the protestors and then asked, "Does the Senator talk with the people directly during these events?"

"If they are sufficiently wealthy, or have are established influencers with a following that he can tap into. The museum has invited its donors to this event. I am unable to get tickets without detecting attention."


female lashunta mystic (xenoseaker) 1 | SP 11 | HP 22 | RP 4 | KAC 13; EAC 12 | F -1; R +1; W +7 | Perception +7 | Limited Telepathy 30 ft | Healing Touch 1/d | SP At Will: daze, psychokinetic hand; 1/1 detect thoughts | Spells: 1st-3/3

Considering this newest wrinkle Scera thought it through and asked, "Are there any attendees who I might be able to meet up with and convince to take me with them? It would seem less likely to draw attention if one of those already scheduled wanted an extra ticket to have a new piece of eye candy along with them." After a moments more thought she added, "Gender doesn't matter, nor does age as long as they are old enough to be an adult."


Scera wrote:
Considering this newest wrinkle Scera thought it through and asked, "Are there any attendees who I might be able to meet up with and convince to take me with them? It would seem less likely to draw attention if one of those already scheduled wanted an extra ticket to have a new piece of eye candy along with them." After a moments more thought she added, "Gender doesn't matter, nor does age as long as they are old enough to be an adult."

"Matchmaking is not one of my areas of competence," says Gabriel. "This event is tomorrow night. There are a number of escort agencies in the city, but there might not be enough time to infiltrate one."


female lashunta mystic (xenoseaker) 1 | SP 11 | HP 22 | RP 4 | KAC 13; EAC 12 | F -1; R +1; W +7 | Perception +7 | Limited Telepathy 30 ft | Healing Touch 1/d | SP At Will: daze, psychokinetic hand; 1/1 detect thoughts | Spells: 1st-3/3

"I wasn't thinking an escort agency per se but that could work." She thought it through a bit more and nodded, "Yes, that could certainly work, and if not in time for tomorrow maybe the next such event." She took a seat and crossed her knees as she leaned back and thought things through, "Alright Gabriel, what I am looking for is an agency that hires non-humans, keeping my appearance concealed for this would be too difficult of a problem, and has patrons in higher society, particularly political, and who the Senator, or someone allied with him, would hire an escort from."

Scera's leg began to bounce slightly as she thought some more and the finally said, "They must be professional, vet their customers, and have a good record. They can't force their employees to service the patrons but those extra services can be negotiated with by the client with the escort." She thought it through a bit more while biting her lower lip, her antennae twitching, before saying, "I think that will do for now Gabriel, se what you can find, if something can be done in time for tomorrow great, if not then I'll at least have something i can do while we're here."


"I was hoping to perform a self-diagnostic. I'm sure a job agency could help you, but, I must say this seems like an unnecessarily complicated way to meet the Senator when he already indicated he wanted to talk to you about something. If you do feel an encounter under false pretences at the Museum is preferable, the computers in the church office could help you find an agency."


female lashunta mystic (xenoseaker) 1 | SP 11 | HP 22 | RP 4 | KAC 13; EAC 12 | F -1; R +1; W +7 | Perception +7 | Limited Telepathy 30 ft | Healing Touch 1/d | SP At Will: daze, psychokinetic hand; 1/1 detect thoughts | Spells: 1st-3/3

Sighing Scera said, "I suppose you're right of course Gabriel. I'll wait until he contacts me again and set something up." She rose and began to head towards the library, "I still think I may look those agencies up, it would be nice to have a job now that I'm here and it is very close to what I know how to do." Scera smiled and said, "Goodnight Gabriel, have a peaceful diagnostic." With that Scera headed to the office to begin looking up the information she was interested in.


"I understand being in a subterranean cavern makes it easy to lose track of time. It is currently noon. It's sunny and cool on the surface with a slight breeze according to weather reports."

So, what leads are we following where?


After a few minutes of looking for jobs, Scera finds out she would need some kind of legal identity, which she doesn't have in this world. The agencies ask for info that Scera cannot provide.


Masculine Android Mechanic | HP 16/16, Stamina 12/12, Reserve 5/5 | EAC 14, KAC 15 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +0 | Init +5, Perception +5

My apologies--I've been dealing with sickness since Thursday and other things took up the time and energy I've had.

Ueda is more like a machine than ever as he pores over the information on the terminal. Putting together the probable whereabouts of Dr. Brennan is easy enough: the evidence lines up, and it makes sense that they would list her anonymously if they were looking for him as a potential suspect or lead. Checking on the other ambulances and hospitals reveals that most survivors were taken quickly to the nearest locations able to support them; this only further supports his own theory about Dr. Brennan's location.

That he finds little about his Prime self is somewhat frustrating, but certainly makes sense. Were he not a member of the public eye, Immanuel Ueda would be considered a very private man, and without that minor celebrity status--or academic works published--he wouldn't have much of a footprint. It does make him wonder, though...

So he moves to the encrypted Personae Ex Machina network, and when his information does get him access, he leans back in his seat, pausing for the first time. It could be a trick. A trap, even.

But there are bigger things than this concern. Ueda begins searching through the network, looking for anything he can find related to the bombing, or tangentially connected to details or aspects of the case.

Ueda will take 20 on this part of his research, spending the rest of the day if need be attempting to piece together everything he can about Personae Ex Machina as they exist in this reality.


Male EAC:15 KAC:17 |HP:18/18 SP:14/14 RP:5/5 |Fort:3, Ref +4, Will+3 |Init +8 Per+2|Hunting Rifle+7, 1d10 6/6 /45 Soldier 1

Brass does a little research into some of the alterations to the timeline that differ from his own curious as to what else has changed. Once this is done he helps however he can with the others’ research.


Ueda:

Ueda finds out one thing about himself in this timeline. Although he remained more committed to Personae Ex Machina, he distanced himself from it in similar ways. His connection has been mostly financial and his contributions sometimes for very specific projects that Personae Ex Machina supports. He can't really fault Ueda-Prime's choices as they are more similar to his own than he had realized, while also being different.

While looking into the events in Tannhauser Park though, Ueda's search in the Personae Ex Machina network lead him into a subnetwork of a subnetwork and, then, to a specific file. Each step along requires a bit of hacking and each hack is just challenging enough to seem real. The file appears on the surface to be a video of the event taken from the media, a video in which Ueda himself is seen just before the blast. Buried in the autodecryption package associated with the file, exactly where Ueda would know to look for it, is a patch of inert code and the words "We watched you die."

The computer flashes an alert. The computer in the church office isn't the most secure system, but the attack isn't subtle either. Personae Ex Machina is trying to hack your computer and turn on your camera. You can easily prevent this by disconnecting from their network.


Brass:

Brass finds that the years 1968-1988 unfolded rather differently in timeline-prime than he remembered them. Most of the same people were in the same places, but Richard Nixon, remember only for his assassination in Brass's timeline, went on to become president in this one and then got involved in some shady business and had to resign.

The 1970s in timeline-prime were not quite as dark and full of suspicion as in Brass's timeline. If the governments in timeline-prime were as shady as in Brass's original timeline, they were better at keeping it secret.

After a while, the differences actually decrease. The world's climate takes such a bad beating that by 2070 all the institutions slightly changed by Moreau's interference no longer exist anyway. The ripples of difference created by Moreau get counted by the big life threatening fact of a mass extinction. Most of Moreau's interference seemed contained in the USA in any case.

Somehow, some of the changes from the past resurfaced in the present though. Androids in this timeline are treated with more suspicion than in Brass's own timeline, particularly in the area controlled by the North American Regional Authority (NARA), which includes much of what used to be the United States and Canada. The military conflicts between androids and humans occurred mostly the same way, but the social relationship, particularly in NARA, is different. The human support for android liberation never gained the traction it did in Brass's timeline.

It's kind of a vague answer. If Brass wants to find out anything specific ...

Brass's exploration of world history is interrupted when his computer too alerts him that the network is being hacked.


Just to keep Vonash's character in the loop ... I'll give her a turn researching her prime-self. She was eager to reintegrate, after all.

Vonash continues to do research on Vonash-prime. She finds her prime-self to be very much like her, with the same job as a warden and similar choices otherwise. Vonash-prime tends to maintain even a lower profile than Vonash did, and most of Vonash's friends were animals.

There is nothing, at first, to explain why Vonash-prime has so much more money than Vonash. (This is something Vonash discovered last night well paying the cab.)

Eventually Vonash gains access to her prime's financial records. She finds that her prime receives large sums of money about once every three or four months. The anonymous fund transfers exceed her annual salary at the day job as a warden. Her prime-self continued to do this job, despite the money she earned on the side.


Masculine Android Mechanic | HP 16/16, Stamina 12/12, Reserve 5/5 | EAC 14, KAC 15 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +0 | Init +5, Perception +5

Ueda sifts through the files and information on the network, looking for anything related to himself or his contributions. That things are mainly monetary, and specific in their pursuits, helps to soothe his misgivings somewhat. The fact that his prime self remained in touch with the group at all after Horizon Flare is still concerning, and represents a different mindset. But as long as things remained somewhat distant...

His ruminations fall to the side as he digs through the subnetworks, knowing that he's meant to be doing this. The trail is there to be found; if Personae wanted something to be hidden, it simply wouldn't exist on the network at all. The effort required to reach the file is enough to be a challenge, enough to seem like a concerted attempt to keep information squirreled away, which is exactly why Ueda thinks he's meant to dig. Then why aren't you stopping? Because you want to do do it. You aren't so different from yourself, in the end.

Finally, the last piece of security is gone, and he watches a brief video of himself at the explosion. But he knows that can't be all, so he looks in the autodecryption, where messages were usually hidden to accompany files like this. And surely enough, four words are there, meant just for him. We watched you die.

When the attack alert comes, Ueda briskly stands and spins the camera display to keep facing him, as he gathers the power cords for the terminal in one hand. He could disconnect now, prevent access. But that would only raise more questions for whoever's on the other end of things. They'd wonder if the police had his files. Wonder what was happening. Theories would spread, take hold. Better to give them something slightly more concrete, if still confusing.

So Ueda stands in front of the camera, and once he's sure it's turned on, he yanks the power cords from the wall, terminating the connection between this terminal and anything else. Anyone worth their salt will have been recording, or be able to salvage the footage to see the glimpse of Immanuel Ueda before the connection is lost.

Shortly thereafter, Scera comes into the office, and finds Ueda standing there, cords still in hand. He turns to look at her and offers his typical smile. "My apologies. Were you looking to use this terminal? It was performing in an unusual manner, I believe it required a manual reset. Allow me to ensure it functions properly." He reattaches the power cables and turns it on, performing a quick diagnostic before handing control over to the lashunta. "If I may ask, do you know where the holoskin from Moreau is currently located? As I mentioned, I would like to use it for my own excursions, as I am currently considered either dead or a person of interest in a terrorist attack."


Male EAC:15 KAC:17 |HP:18/18 SP:14/14 RP:5/5 |Fort:3, Ref +4, Will+3 |Init +8 Per+2|Hunting Rifle+7, 1d10 6/6 /45 Soldier 1

Brass seeing the hack goes to find Ueda, he is the computer expert surely he knows how to fix this. He calls for Gabriel as he walks. “Gabriel there is a system hack be sure to ensure that it doesn’t compromise things to much.” As he walks in moments after Ueda’s restart he walks in and mentions “It seems the system was hacked my computer was notified, any way you can trace it.”

Mainly just seeing how effective our efforts were. Broad history was the goal.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Kitty used Moreau's holoskin last night. It got slightly damaged, but Ueda can repair it easily. Right now, however, it still displays Moreau's face (w/o the deformities). You'll have to program in a new one or accept the one that is in there. Kitty couldn't figure it out and went out as Moreau

In terms of how successful the team was at cleaning up after Moreau, his interference only left a few tiny changes in the timeline and they were mostly localized in the late 60s and early 70s. Here are the changes between the original timeline and the prime-timeline you are now in. Neither of them are like the timeline you remember, which was Moreau's altered timeline where you all grew up.

Lee Reynolds got enough money to pay down a gambling debt, but not enough to really mix up the timeline. The gangsters who broke his finger in the truly original timeline, got paid in this one. Lee lived a happier life with less self-pity and less alcohol, but otherwise the prime-timeline remained pristine. (I think it was Ueda or Brass who decided to leave the cash in place, but you could have scooped it up, but you didn't really know.) Lee's fortune was a strange side effect of Moreau's interference. When Moreau had Griffin send out the distress call, it allowed Lee to hear next week's races broadcast over the radio. He only got away with that a couple times before you shut things down. He never got as far as building the device Griffin was describing to anyone picking up the signal, which would have allowed two way communication and really messed things up. If you'd fooled around for a week in the 60s, things would have gotten out of control.

Dropping a UFO over the poolhouse at Ogden College did get a bit of attention. Ogden College students gained a completely undeserved reputation for using hallucinogens, but no one really believed it happened, so the effects were contained. If you had been one day slower in your adventures, the US Air Force would have had a time machine in 1968. I had a schedule.

The Maine Coast Militia firebombed the Long Porcupine Island the day after you left. It was recorded as being an extreme response to a dangerous outbreak of a virus, but reports are ambiguous. I really thought Moreau was going to steal a time machine. He did too. He was quite sure you were going to be too slow to stop him. A few lucky roles got you back on your ship before he could get it off the ground.


Ueda

Ueda did find one other difference between himself and his primeself. Ueda-Prime was hospitalized briefly after a skirmish that Ueda made it through without incident. The damage was limited, but he needed some shrapnel removed from his left side (chest and stomach) and spent two days in the hospital recovering.


female lashunta mystic (xenoseaker) 1 | SP 11 | HP 22 | RP 4 | KAC 13; EAC 12 | F -1; R +1; W +7 | Perception +7 | Limited Telepathy 30 ft | Healing Touch 1/d | SP At Will: daze, psychokinetic hand; 1/1 detect thoughts | Spells: 1st-3/3

Scera found herself at a bit of a loss as her research proved just how much trouble she would have here. She didn't exist anywhere in the system and so in saying couldn't do anything really. She couldn't get a job, she couldn't generate an income, and the people of this era were not very open to non-human's so her chances of seducing a sugar daddy or mama were all but non-existent.

"Ugh this time period sucks," she wined in annoyance. In some ways she wished she could go home, too bad her home didn't exist anymore, hell it probably hasn't even been colonized yet. It seemed that most of her life the last few years, her very survival, had depended on seduction and manipulation of men using her...assets. Now that skill that she'd honed was effectively worthless and she had no clue what a girl from a new colony planet with no real skills could do with her life. Deciding there was nothing of use for her to do right now, and feeling rather down about it, Scera rose and took the lift back down and made her way to the nearest comfy couch so she could mope for a bit.


While Scera experiences angst and character development, Milo also mopes. "Gabriel is f$!*ing napping? I thought we were going to examine the simulation and figure out where Carson went. This timeline is crap. Let's just go back and kill Nixon ourselves."

He apparently doesn't mean it. He just stomps into the chapel and throws his orangutan self down on a pew that looks like it's been here since the church was built way back in the 1970s.


Enough chatter, let's move things along

Jade leaves the room for a short while, and while gone, wracks her memory banks for any place that may have struck her as a haven, a place to keep as a second home, and comes up empty. Surprised, she considers the different factors that may have been at play. Jade-Prime could be more sentimental in general. It could also be that something occurred in this timeline, where she went somewhere else, or experienced something else, such that a place that was ordinary to Jade-Contingency would have greater meaning to Jade-Prime.

Still, she had an idea of where to start.

"I am going." She says to the others, coming back into the room, carrying a rucksack. "Now. I am going to start at Jade-Prime's home, and look for any information about her mission or the location of her secondary home."

"Whether we like it or not," She says, "This is where we are, and we should decide what we want to do with our time here. I believe the humans would say we have a "new rental on life"."

"For my part, I would like to know what our Prime versions died for - or where those that are missing are." Shouldering the rucksack, she nods to the others. "While I am... ill-equipped for combat, rest assured that I will stop at nothing until I find out what happened."

As mentioned before, Jade won't ask anyone to go with her, but also would not turn down any accompaniment.


Male EAC:15 KAC:17 |HP:18/18 SP:14/14 RP:5/5 |Fort:3, Ref +4, Will+3 |Init +8 Per+2|Hunting Rifle+7, 1d10 6/6 /45 Soldier 1

Brass stands up “I’ll go with you. I have little else I can do besides combat. Which at this point would be enjoyable. I’ll grab my things.”
After a moment he comes back in full armor and a small bag strapped to him his rifle in its storage state on his back.


Jade, Brass, and anyone else who joins soon finds themselves in a auto-piloted cab out front. It takes off down the hill, past the mysterious 'Sanctuary,' and into Metropolis. Jade and Jade-Prime both live in the Old Ockham District. Jade doesn't see any obvious differences between the place she knew and this prime-version of it.

Jade can pay for the cab through a retinal scan or through a credit line, assuming Jade-Prime had the same security PIN. How does Jade pay for the taxi?

Jade soon finds a similar dilemma at her apartment building. It's a modern, clean, and secure facility, but by no means expensive. It's an excellent location and would be conveniently close to where Reality Prime is filmed. It's no surprise Jade-Prime kept it while working on the show, especially if her other location was further away.

To get into the building Jade will need to use a keycard. To get into her apartment, she will need the code or a retinal scan again. What do you do?


Female N Lashunta Mystic (XenoDruid) Wild Warden 1 | Active Conditions: None | SP 12/12, HP 14/14, RP 4/4 EAC 11. KAC 12 | Fort -1, Ref +2, Will + 6 | Per +5 (low light), Sense Motive | Speed 30 ft | Telepathy 30 ft

I'm sorry that I haven't posted for awhile. Life got really, really crazy and I just didn't have time and/or net access. I should be able to catch up on all my games tomorrow


Hey, Vonash. No problem. It got crazy for everyone. (I'm teaching 4 courses this semester instead of my usually 2 or 3 and it's been intense.) It looks like different groups may be going different places and we may have subthreads. If Vonash is joining a group that is departing (so far just Jade and Brass) let us know. If she decides to go explore on her own, let us know.


With Gabriel running a diagnostic, there is no one to pass the Senator's message along to Scera until one of the Rons comes to do some more research on how The Chariot differs from the timeship in this timeline, The Empress. As he passes Scera, he says: "The Senator's office is trying to contact you. I guess Gabriel's offline. You can call back on the from terminals in the church office. I hope his office gets you guys IDs soon and clears the death certificates from your files so you can go outside. Anyhow, maybe that's why he's wanting to see you."

The Ron wanders off. Scera might recognize this as Bron who looks like he eats more and is generally happier than Aron. Bron also wears sweaters and this Ron was wearing a sweater.

About five minutes later another Ron passes by. His t-shirt looks like one of the recycled paper shirts people wore during the darkest times of the latter 21st when 3,000,000 were displaced by flooding and lived in refugee camps. It isn't one of those shirts, it just looks like one. Like some t-shirt maker thought it was funny to make a t-shirt that looked like your whole life had just been wrecked by climate change and you were living in a tent in the Rockies wondering what to do next. Scera, of course, would not recognize any of this about Ron not being from Earth. She probably does suspect this is Aron though, because he doesn't smile when he says, "Hey, the Senator's office is buzzing the church terminals upstairs trying to contact you. Gabriel's down for some reason and I'm not a receptionist."


female lashunta mystic (xenoseaker) 1 | SP 11 | HP 22 | RP 4 | KAC 13; EAC 12 | F -1; R +1; W +7 | Perception +7 | Limited Telepathy 30 ft | Healing Touch 1/d | SP At Will: daze, psychokinetic hand; 1/1 detect thoughts | Spells: 1st-3/3

Scera watched as one of the Rons went past, was it...Bron? He had the sweater that Bron wore last time she saw him. She heard what he said about the Senator's office trying to reach her and considered whether she felt like dealing with him. While she contemplated that thought she said, "K, thanks Bron."

Instead of getting up Scera continued her moping for a bit longer when the other Ron came by. Since he wasn't wearing a sweater and his mind felt different than the previous one she figured he must be Aron, at least she thought he was Aron, and she heard him say the Senator's office was blowing up the comms upstairs. "Alright, I'll go see what they want. Thanks Aron."

Seemingly broken from her funk Scera got up and headed towards the lift to head up and see what the Senator's office wanted of her. When she reached the top she could hear the comm terminal still chiming for attention and Scera headed towards the nearest one. Taking a seat she smoothed her hair and made sure her clothes were presentable before pushing the button that would answer the comms. "I understand you were trying to reach me?"


Egads. That whole thing needed another edit, but especially this sentence: "Scera, of course, would not recognize any of this about Ron not being from Earth." It should read something like, "Scera, not being from Earth, would not recognize the significance of Ron's t-shirt. She would probably suspect this Aron thought as ..."


The Senator's face appears on the screen. Well, it's either the Senator's face or his digital AI is doing a top notch job of simulating the Senator for this call.

"Scera, I think we got off on the wrong foot earlier. My apologies. I wanted to talk to you personally because your situation is somewhat different than the others. While they have their ...um ... their alters' lives to, um, resume, you have nothing."

He pauses to let this sink in just a little, but before Scera can say anything he continues ...

"Nothing ... except the talents you bring to the table. I'd like to talk to you about those. If you'd allow me to send my car for you again, I have a job for you and some opportunities I think you'll like."


Male EAC:15 KAC:17 |HP:18/18 SP:14/14 RP:5/5 |Fort:3, Ref +4, Will+3 |Init +8 Per+2|Hunting Rifle+7, 1d10 6/6 /45 Soldier 1

As Brass and Jade walk upstairs to the cab he grabs a credit chip from one of the containers. “In case we can not access older bank accounts. It should help cover the momentary problems.”


That eliminates the question of the cab. Jade has a keycard to get into her building and it works just as well in this timeline. At the door, she can use a passcode to enter or she can let her doorbell take a retinal scan.


Jade nods to Brass, prior to leaving. She's pleased for the company, and suspects it might be doing him good to get out as well - especially after his diagnostics. Some recalibration would not hurt. Plus, it was not in his nature to sit around - he was built for action.

The ride over being uneventful, and Brass handling the currency (something Jade forgot about entirely), they arrive at the building without incident. Walking to her door, Jade pauses. "Now we have a conundrum," She says.

"It is likely that I would pass the retinal scan - there is no reason to believe that my eyes would differ from those of Jade-Prime. There is, at least, no evidence that I have seen in holo-recordings to suggest that they would."

"However, there is always that 1% factor, and aside from that, if someone was watching her, and her life was in danger, they could have hacked the system and be monitoring for retinal activity. Anyone could know the code, but not have her eyes. There is the chance, then, that we could alert them to not only our existence, but that of Jade-Prime as well, wherever she may be."

She frowns, "With that said, Jade-Prime and I have shown ourselves to have some different... sensibilities, and it is possible that I do not know her passcode, and that entering one incorrectly could set off an alarm as well. Though I think an incorrect passcode is less of a concern, would you not agree?"

Is it a 4-digit code or what? Gonna come up with something and some justification for why Jade thinks it would be that, accompanied with another Sense Motive check to see if I'm right or not, if that sounds good

1,051 to 1,100 of 1,152 << first < prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / AGENTS of TAROT: The Tower Rises All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.