Outpost II: Dungeon Master S's "Debt to the Quah" [Core 3-4] (Inactive)

Game Master Chris Marsh

Handouts | Tactical Map

Scavenger’s stone: 13/50

Quickpost:

Initiative:
[dice=Enemy]d20[/dice]
[dice=Telka]d20+7[/dice]
[dice=Ironshanks]d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Kaya]d20+5[/dice]
[dice=Wyatt]d20+7[/dice]
[dice=Pavo]d20+3[/dice]
[dice=Sir Ninn]d20+1[/dice]


1 to 50 of 398 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Dot here


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Venture-Captain Ambrus Valsin paces in front of a small table in this meeting room in the Grand Lodge. In front of him on the table is a packet of parchments.

“Pathfinders, a rather concerning development has come to light. I have received a summons requesting Pathfinder presence at a meeting of the Shoanti quahs. The impetus for this request is troubling, to say the least."

“About one year ago, a Pathfinder named Lumketul Simset returned to the Grand Lodge with notes on a rather exciting discovery: a Thassilonian ruin, tucked in a remote area in the Iron Peaks in Varisia. He also returned with several artifacts, which we took in for further study. Lumketul’s notes were the basis of a tale published in the Pathfinder Chronicles shortly thereafter, which has become rather popular among those endeavoring to uncover new Thassilonian discoveries."

“However, I recently received a message from Cousin to All, an ally from the Shriikirri-Quah. Shadde-Quah traders came across a copy of the Pathfinder Chronicles. Upon reading Lumketul’s entry, they realized that he was speaking not of a Thassilonian
ruin, but of a sacred Shoanti burial site known as the Muschkal Sepulcher. Shadde-Quah leadership contacted the Skoan-Quah, which sent out their boneslayers to confirm the reports. Turns out—unfortunately for all parties—Lumketul did in fact damage and plunder the sepulcher.”
Ambrus rubs his temples with one hand, then continues.

“Our relations with the quahs have already been somewhat strained, although friendlier than their other connections with outsiders.
Fortunately for us, we have some history of goodwill with the Shoanti, so Cousin to All was able to convince the other quahs to send representatives to hear our side of the story. Unfortunately for us, our side of the story is still bad. Lumketul showed no regard or respect in his blind pursuit of discovery, and frankly, the Society doesn’t have much grounds to deserve forgiveness. The Muschkal Sepulcher is an important location for all the quahs, and Lumketul’s disregard has cast the Society as a whole in a bad light. We’ve tried contacting Lumketul, but he has cut contact with the Society, and no one in the Society has heard from him in over a year. This is where you come in. I would like for all of you to travel to the meeting of the councilmembers and represent the Society. I believe excuses will not be received well; rather, please petition the council with utmost earnestness and sincerity.”

Ambrus pushes the packet of parchments across the table. “I’ve had Lumketul’s notes on his expedition dug up in the hopes they’d be of some use. I’ve also included a copy of his Chronicle publication, although his embellishments and obfuscation of truth may have rendered it useless; nevertheless, maybe you’ll glean some helpful information from it.” Ambrus then reaches down beside him and pulls up a large satchel and an egg-shaped rock that emits a warm, red glow.

The bag contains the items Lumketul plundered from the burial site. At the very least, we must return the items to the Shoanti, and I request you try to convince the council to allow you to restore the sepulcher to its proper state. As for the stone, if you touch it to a broken object, it will gradually repair it. It won’t last forever, but it should have enough magic left in it for this mission.” The venture-captain pauses for emphasis. “It’s important to the Society to develop further relations with the quahs, so this could be an opportunity to show that we can be trusted.”

He gives a heavy sigh, "I suppose you might have some questions before you head out. Oh, here's the map of the Sepulcher."

Silver Crusade

LG Male Gnome Monk 1/Paladin of Iomedae 3 | AC 24, T 13, FF 22; +4 dodge vs. giants | hp 38/46 | Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +9; +1 vs. writing-based traps, spells & abilities and necromancy; +2 vs. illusion | Init +1 | Percep +0 (LL) | CMD 15 | LoH 6/6, SE 1/1, SF 1/1; Dancing Lights 1/1, Ghost Sound 1/1, Prestidigitation 1/1, Speak with Animals 1/1 | Reroll @ +4 1/1 | Conditions: inspire courage +1

Sir Ninn looks Venture Captain Valsin directly in the eye while speaking, "It would be an honor to atone for these transgressions. What resources can the Society bring to bear, in order to restore the Muschkal Sepulcher to its rightful condition and offer reparations to the Shoanti Quahs?"

The Exchange

CG Human (Taldane) Bard 3 | HP 25/25 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | F +4 R +6 W +3/+4 | CMD 16 | Perc +6 SM +8 | Init +3 | Speed 30 ft | Bardic Performance 13/16 | 1st 4/4 | Active Effects:

"Well, now I know why I was summoned," Pavo says as he runs his fingers through his dark hair. "I am an expert in apologizing for things (some of which I actually did)."

He waits for the gnome to finish his question and and receive his answer before asking, "Besides Cousin to All, do we have any other contacts among the Shoanti? And would you be able to expound the Society's standing--at least as it was before this mistake came to light--with the different quahs?"

Grand Lodge

Male Elf DEAD

A tall Elf, dressed in a form-fitting body suit of strange dark-blue material, tips his broad-brimmed hat in acknowledgement of the VC's words.

"I agree with my colleague here - it would be useful if we knew more about the other council members. Do you have any intelligence to offer, regarding them?"


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Indeed, some of you already know about the Shoanti. Knowledge (Local):

DC 15:

The fierce Shoanti are spread throughout the Storval Plateau in northern Varisia, where they eke out a living in harsh, inhospitable conditions.

DC 20:
The Shoanti formerly inhabited much of southern Varisia, until they were forced northward into the Storval Plateau after bloody conflicts with Chelaxian colonists. This violent history has led to many Shoanti being mistrustful of outsiders.

DC 25:
Despite seeming xenophobic, Shoanti are not completely closed off. Many outsiders have been known to join their ranks, but only after a history of demonstrating loyalty to their clan and dedication to its principles.

The Venture-Captain points towards the bag of items. "What you find in there Nin is what we've allotted for this mission. They aren't power items, but they are extremely meaningful."

"As for the council members, we've done some research. The more of them you can make headway with the better." He hands over a sheet of parchment, detailing the various contact."

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Core Fighter 4 HP 44/44 | AC 25 , T 12, FF 23 | CMB:+7 CMD:19 Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +6 | Init +2 | Perc +10 Stonecunning, 60' Darkvision Effects:

K Local: 1d20 ⇒ 8

An elder Dwarven warrior shakes his head a bit as he tries to recall anything about these Shoanti people Just my luck, a diplomatic mission to fix some kid's screw up. Plunderin' a tomb fer s~##'s sake!

Ironshanks steps forward, fully armored in full plate with his visor raised. A large wooden shield strapped across his back and an array of weapons tied in or dangling from his belt. He removes his guantlet and offers a firm handshake to each and everyone in the room.

"Ironshanks Magee. Looks like I'll be yer tour guide n axe head fer this boot kissin' assignment. Just so ya know, we Magee's never were much fer diplomats, if ya get me."

He nods and smiles as he sees Pavo "Yer right, they brought you ta make up fer me Pavo!" He laughs and the rattle of weapons on steel rings through the room.

The Exchange

CG Human (Taldane) Bard 3 | HP 25/25 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | F +4 R +6 W +3/+4 | CMD 16 | Perc +6 SM +8 | Init +3 | Speed 30 ft | Bardic Performance 13/16 | 1st 4/4 | Active Effects:

Pavo reviews the offered dossier. "Thank you. This should be helpful," he says with a comforting smile, trying to put the Venture-Captain at ease.

Knowledge:

Knowledge (local), Lodge Bonus: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 8 + 2 = 30

All spoilers revealed

"If I know the Storval Plateau, your axe is going to get plenty of work keeping us safe on our way there and back," the rake reassures the stout dwarf.

"They're going to be hard to win over, especially for Chelish," he says with an audible swallow, "Though how they know a Chelish man from an Isgari, I wouldn't know. But they respect loyalty and dedication to their principles, which can differ by tribe, so we're not at a complete disadvantage. No?"

Grand Lodge

Male NG Dwarf Cleric 5 | HP: 38|38 | AC: 24 (11 Tch, 23 FF; +2vs evil) | CMB +2, CMD 13 | F:+7, R:+3, W:+11 +2 vs spells, sla's and poison, +2 vs charm and compulsion, +1vs evil | Init: +7 Per: +17 +2 unusual stonework, SM: +16 | Speed 40 |
Resources:
Agile feet 9|9; Bit of Luck 6|9; Channel 1|2; Reroll available
Buffs:
Longstrider, Magic Circle, Tongues
Conditions:

A short, bald dwarf in well maintained travelling gear sighs at the sorry tale of the Venture Captain. The actions of this man tarnish us all, hopefully we can convince these elders that the Society as a whole is not cut from the same cloth. He looks carefully over the items. I can secure these in my haversack, its magical space should keep them safe from the rigours of travel, may Desna light our way.

Grand Lodge

NG Halfling Wizard 4 | Mods: Continual Flame | HP: 24/24| AC/Tch/FF 17/14/14 | CMD 12 | F/R/W +4/+6/+6 (+2 vs. fear) | Speed 20ft | Init: +5 (Forewarned) | +1 Star Folio Re-Roll 1/1, Diviner's Fortune 6/6, Spells/Abilities tracked on Profile | Perc: +2, SM: +0

A lithe halfling with a jubilant smile on her face joins the briefing and listens, foot tapping with a bit of hyper impatience. Once details start coming out as to their mission, her foot silences as she listens intently to the briefing with a frown on her face. As the Venture Captain finishes and her allies start asking the important questions, she begins pouring over the notes and relevant excerpts from the chronicle.

Her mind starts trying to put a generic map of the dangers and threats they might face in the tomb, then she looks up, "ah yes I'm sorry, I'm Kaya Leafwing. I think well, they asked me to join this foray cause no one can be mad at a cute halfling so it might at least get us an audience!"

You see before you a little lady with a bright pink scarf wrapped around her neck that accentuates the pink and green highlights in her auburn hair. Beyond this flash of color, she is wearing a mostly standard tan and grey exploring outfit with a backpack slung over her shoulders. A glistening piece of jewelry in the form of a multicolored songbird hangs from her neck.

Forgetting the notes for a moment she inspects the contents of the bag. Casting a simple cantrip with a flick of her wrist she looks at each item. Detect Magic

spellcraft bolas: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26
spellcraft bow: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16
spellcraft earth breaker: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13
spellcraft klar: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25
spellcraft stone statue of wolf cub: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23
spellcraft scarab ring: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

Anything discovered about the items she shares with her allies, "if we can show we understand what we are returning in addition to our contrition, they might allow us the opportunity to return the items to their rightful places and give us access to the tomb. Then, we simple repair the damage and hopefully mend our relations with the tribes."

K: History about the The Muschkal Sepulcher?: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Kaya detects no magical auras on the items. It seems their power is inspirational and cultural, not magical.

The Venture-Captain nods, "That's the right of it. Any other questions? The Shoanti aren't known for their patience."

Grand Lodge

Male NG Dwarf Cleric 5 | HP: 38|38 | AC: 24 (11 Tch, 23 FF; +2vs evil) | CMB +2, CMD 13 | F:+7, R:+3, W:+11 +2 vs spells, sla's and poison, +2 vs charm and compulsion, +1vs evil | Init: +7 Per: +17 +2 unusual stonework, SM: +16 | Speed 40 |
Resources:
Agile feet 9|9; Bit of Luck 6|9; Channel 1|2; Reroll available
Buffs:
Longstrider, Magic Circle, Tongues
Conditions:

Telka simply stares at the Captain, They may not be patient but unless you plan to teleport us all the way to Varisia they are going to have to wait quite a while. Sadly I do not yet possess enough of Desna's grace to take us there directly.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Core Fighter 4 HP 44/44 | AC 25 , T 12, FF 23 | CMB:+7 CMD:19 Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +6 | Init +2 | Perc +10 Stonecunning, 60' Darkvision Effects:

"A long walk you say? Sounds better than another infernal sea voyage. If Torag wished his followers to be sailors then he wouldn't work with hammer n anvil!" Grumbles Ironshanks as he combs his fingers through his salt and pepper colored beard. Numerous singes and sliced bits are evident from his last few missions.

I'm afraid the fighter with a 6 CHA and a 10 INT doesn't ask many questions. Ready whenever.


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

"Indeed, we will be teleporting you directly to their cave on the Storval Stairs."

I'll give others a bit of time to chime in.

Grand Lodge

Male NG Dwarf Cleric 5 | HP: 38|38 | AC: 24 (11 Tch, 23 FF; +2vs evil) | CMB +2, CMD 13 | F:+7, R:+3, W:+11 +2 vs spells, sla's and poison, +2 vs charm and compulsion, +1vs evil | Init: +7 Per: +17 +2 unusual stonework, SM: +16 | Speed 40 |
Resources:
Agile feet 9|9; Bit of Luck 6|9; Channel 1|2; Reroll available
Buffs:
Longstrider, Magic Circle, Tongues
Conditions:

Telka turns and looks at Ironshanks and slowly asks, You realise that Absalom is on an island yes?

It must be all that metal, it presses down on their skulls

At the mention of Teleportation Telka begins to grin widely, Really, brilliant, this will be my first time, I always hoped it would be special Who will be taking us, will they be coming along to help, will it be regular or greater or maybe a shadow walk spell?

Grand Lodge

NG Halfling Wizard 4 | Mods: Continual Flame | HP: 24/24| AC/Tch/FF 17/14/14 | CMD 12 | F/R/W +4/+6/+6 (+2 vs. fear) | Speed 20ft | Init: +5 (Forewarned) | +1 Star Folio Re-Roll 1/1, Diviner's Fortune 6/6, Spells/Abilities tracked on Profile | Perc: +2, SM: +0

Kaya's mind reaches back to her last teleportation and she meekly raises her hand, mumbling a question very un-like herself, "um... sir uh... does it have to be directly on the steps. Maybe like a few feet off to the side so uh... well last time I didn't handle the teleportation well in my stomach and uh... okay no that's fine I'll do better this time."


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

"“I have hired Jia, a local wizard, to teleport you to the Storval Stairs, whenever you are ready to depart. He’ll wait for you to complete your mission so you can return back.”

The Exchange

CG Human (Taldane) Bard 3 | HP 25/25 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | F +4 R +6 W +3/+4 | CMD 16 | Perc +6 SM +8 | Init +3 | Speed 30 ft | Bardic Performance 13/16 | 1st 4/4 | Active Effects:

"In my experience, Ironshanks always hopes that you can walk where you need to get without coming in sight of water," the bard comments to the Pahmet.

"No, unless you've got a brief primer on Shoanti cultural taboos, we're ready," he says and then whistles and gestures at an empty chair. A cat-sized dragon slowly emerges from the shadow under the chair and then flaps into the air to land on Pavo's shoulder.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

"Greetings," the pseudodragon conveys telepathically. "I am Ilma. I have been studying here at the Grand Lodge, but it is time for me to go home. So I am going on one last adventure before I return to Korvosa."

Silver Crusade

LG Male Gnome Monk 1/Paladin of Iomedae 3 | AC 24, T 13, FF 22; +4 dodge vs. giants | hp 38/46 | Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +9; +1 vs. writing-based traps, spells & abilities and necromancy; +2 vs. illusion | Init +1 | Percep +0 (LL) | CMD 15 | LoH 6/6, SE 1/1, SF 1/1; Dancing Lights 1/1, Ghost Sound 1/1, Prestidigitation 1/1, Speak with Animals 1/1 | Reroll @ +4 1/1 | Conditions: inspire courage +1

Ready

Grand Lodge

Male NG Dwarf Cleric 5 | HP: 38|38 | AC: 24 (11 Tch, 23 FF; +2vs evil) | CMB +2, CMD 13 | F:+7, R:+3, W:+11 +2 vs spells, sla's and poison, +2 vs charm and compulsion, +1vs evil | Init: +7 Per: +17 +2 unusual stonework, SM: +16 | Speed 40 |
Resources:
Agile feet 9|9; Bit of Luck 6|9; Channel 1|2; Reroll available
Buffs:
Longstrider, Magic Circle, Tongues
Conditions:

Yes, yes, I am ready. Let us get to this wizard as soon as we can..., he is almost hopping with excitement, difficult to do when you are encased in full plate.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Core Fighter 4 HP 44/44 | AC 25 , T 12, FF 23 | CMB:+7 CMD:19 Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +6 | Init +2 | Perc +10 Stonecunning, 60' Darkvision Effects:
Telka Ibn Jad wrote:
Telka turns and looks at Ironshanks and slowly asks, You realise that Absalom is on an island yes?

"Yes gosh darnit I know we're on an island! There's one heck of a difference between spending the day on a boat over to the main land than riding out there on rough seas fer weeks on end!"

As the topic of teleportation is brooched the elder Dwarf gets a bit more comfortable "While it ain't so good as walkin, it be far better then boatin'. Reminds me of this mission I had ta the plane o earth... had ta go train those earth elemental people how ta fight proper. Showed em a few things we did."

Bluff.. sure that's how it went old man.: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (14) - 2 = 12


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Jia enters the room and casts teleport...

After a momentary, gut-twisting, journey, you find yourselves FAR to the west. Before you is a cave, and standing before hte cave are two silent guards. They speak a total of two words to you before turning and entering the cave. "Pathfinders, come."

The path leading into the earth beneath the Storval Stairs opens into an expansive cavern, chatter echoing off the striated rock walls. Smaller passages branch from the main chamber, winding deeper underground. The space is filled with people grouped in small clusters engaged in quiet discussion. Waiting near the entrance to the cavern are two Shoanti. One of them, a half-elf with a prominent facial tattoo resembling a styled hawk, approaches. “Be welcome, my cousins. I am Cousin to All. Good to see you well. It seems the others are open to hearing your case, considering that they showed up, so I believe it’s possible for a good outcome today.”

The other Shoanti, a shorter human man, approaches you. “I am Rollicks in Waves of the Shadde-Quah. Many thanks to the Society for their past help.”[/b]

PC with a Wrath of the Fleshwarped Queen Chronicle:

Rollicks in Waves gives a strong embrace with a slap on the back.
"Truly. I mean that with my heart! With that dangers cleared from the forbidden ruins, the Shadde-Quah were able to safely seal them, locking away the source of magic that corrupted bodies and minds."

He continues, “I see this situation as the actions of a rogue agent. I’ve seen what good the Society can do, so this seems like one individual’s mistake to me. You’ve got a ‘yes’ vote from me. With mine and Cousin to All’s votes, you’ll need to convince two of the others to vote for you as well—majority wins.”

Cousin to All nods. “I think it would be best to get as many of the other councilors on board as possible. Having the quahs unified is in the best interest of not only each individual clan, but to the Shoanti as a whole. Opening them up to further alliances with the Society would benefit both sides, and hopefully lead to the other Shoanti becoming more receptive to interacting with the outside world, which I believe would be a massive boon for our people. The meeting begins immediately, are you ready?”

The Exchange

CG Human (Taldane) Bard 3 | HP 25/25 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | F +4 R +6 W +3/+4 | CMD 16 | Perc +6 SM +8 | Init +3 | Speed 30 ft | Bardic Performance 13/16 | 1st 4/4 | Active Effects:

Pavo blinks as the world rearranges itself around him.

He nods and promptly follows at the guards' command.

Once greeted by Cousin to All, he smiles with relief and says, "That is good! The first step of any reconciliation is both parties showing up to talk."

He nods as he listens to Rollicks in Waves. "I am glad that you see the situation as you do. That is how we see the situation," the bard says. "We have brought the relics from the site that we could find, the means to repair the tomb, and are prepared to do what the Shoanti request of us to make reparations, so in that we are ready. Do you have any quick words of advice regarding the temperament and quirks of the remaining councilors before we begin our apology?"


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

There's not a lot of time in the walk to get much of an in depth rundown, but you do get something:

PAYAH AGAINST THE WIND: “Against the Wind is renowned for her might. No doubt she is intimidating, but don’t let that deter you from trying to convince her of your intentions. She values strength, so show that strength in your conviction.”

KEMCHET FLAME STOKER: “Flame Stoker definitely has a reputation as a tough leader, equal emphasis on ‘tough’ and ‘leader.’ As he is strong willed and protective of his people, I seriously doubt you’ll be able to convince him that your intentions are true.”

LAKE AT DAWN: “Many say Lake at Dawn is one of the foremost reasons the Shoanti haven’t broken out in civil war. While that’s certainly hyperbole, there is no doubt as to his ability to broker peace between the quahs. Although he is protective of his people, I think you will be able to convince him that your actions will be for his people’s good.”

MEMORY TENDER: “The Skoan-Quah is known for their amazing recall of history, and Memory Tender is known for being one of the best, preserving Shoanti history through tales passed down through the generations.”

TOGIMAL IN SHADOW: “I don’t know much about Togimal in Shadow other than what rumor holds. Skilled hunter, vigilant tracker. I’m not sure what their attitude will be heading into this meeting, but I know the Lyrune-Quah wouldn’t send In Shadow if there was any doubt regarding their wisdom and judgment.”

"There's also the two of us, but we're already voting your way, so don't focus on us."

Grand Lodge

NG Halfling Wizard 4 | Mods: Continual Flame | HP: 24/24| AC/Tch/FF 17/14/14 | CMD 12 | F/R/W +4/+6/+6 (+2 vs. fear) | Speed 20ft | Init: +5 (Forewarned) | +1 Star Folio Re-Roll 1/1, Diviner's Fortune 6/6, Spells/Abilities tracked on Profile | Perc: +2, SM: +0

Kaya feels her stomach twist into a knot, bile rising in her throat. Appearing on the steps and staring into the eyes of the waiting guards she bends at the waist ready to hurl again, NO, HOLD IT IN! Through pure force of will, she battles the vomit back down. Okay, no more pancakes before a mission, ever!

Pulling herself back up to her imposing height, she trails along after the group, trying to swallow down the sour flavor in her mouth.

She smiles sweetly after the quick briefing, "thank you both very much for giving us a chance. We will surely succeed at our tasks here with your aid."


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

At Cousin to All’s summons, the councilmembers walk up a sloping stone ramp to a rise featuring a row of wooden benches. Cousin to All and Rollicks in Waves take their seats toward the left side of the platform. A councilor with a rune pattern on her face formed with tattoo and scar takes a wide-stance seat, idly spinning a greatsword. A slight figure with hood drawn sits cross-legged and hunched, eyes downward. Another councilor sits forward on her bench, a vulture perched next to her. A long-haired man clad in a robe takes his place, waiting attentively. The last councilor stands near his bench, arms crossed and with a cold glare, auroch hood around his shoulders.

Cousin to All begins. “Thank you, all, for honoring my request and being here today. I understand that this is a situation of the utmost sensitivity, so I appreciate everyone’s continued civility as we discuss this matter."

“As you all know, a Pathfinder Society agent has desecrated the Muschkal Sepulcher—a severe offense. However, the Society would like to right their wrongs. They have sent these representatives to present their case to you, esteemed representatives, on how they would like to repair our bonds and fix this problem.”

The man in the auroch cloak hardens his glare. “What bonds do we have to repair? These tshameks deserve no such opportunity and no forgiveness. This is a Shoanti problem that only the Shoanti can fix, as we always have.”

“At least hear them out, Kemchet Flame Stoker,” Cousin to All bristles. “I understand your frustrations with this situation— believe me, I have some of my own—but the Pathfinder Society wants to make things right. I feel it only fair to allow them that chance.” Flame Stoker scoffs but speaks no further."

The hooded figure looks around the room as everyone speaks. They look almost as if they will speak, but they remain silent, instead studying each person.

The vulture and its owner stare at each Pathfinder in turn Scaling the Council of Quahs before the latter speaks. “The boneslayers reported extensive damage and missing relics from the sepulcher. This site is of the utmost importance to our history, built up over hundreds of years. That legacy can’t be repaired in a day.”

The woman with the greatsword sneers. “They certainly don’t look like much. How could we trust their ability to fix things?” She clangs her sword off the rock platform for emphasis. Rollicks in Waves shoots a look at her and retorts, “The Society is more capable than you think, Payah Against the Wind. Do at least give them a chance to prove that.”

The long-haired man speaks up. “This has been a most troubling development. I want to hear what these Pathfinders have to say. My only request is that the quahs reach a mutual understanding and maintain a mutual respect on this matter, even if our opinions on the best course of action differ. We must remain unified, even in our disagreements.”

“Certainly a worthy goal, Lake at Dawn. I trust everyone to strive toward that,” Cousin to All remarks. “So, Pathfinders, please approach and state your case. How are you going to undo your misdeeds? How will you settle the Society’s debt?”

Grand Lodge

NG Halfling Wizard 4 | Mods: Continual Flame | HP: 24/24| AC/Tch/FF 17/14/14 | CMD 12 | F/R/W +4/+6/+6 (+2 vs. fear) | Speed 20ft | Init: +5 (Forewarned) | +1 Star Folio Re-Roll 1/1, Diviner's Fortune 6/6, Spells/Abilities tracked on Profile | Perc: +2, SM: +0

Kaya steps up confidently and begins their opening arguments, though her legs are a tad wobbly she keeps telling herself stay strong, present strength!

A deep breath and she begins, "simply put, we aren't here to make excuses or cry or beg. It was our agent who did this, we own that fact. Sadly though, the actions taken do not reflect the pathfinder society as a whole. We are here to right the wrongs done."

She takes the items they have and hands them over, "these are the items we have recovered that we believe were stolen. Regardless of the decision made, they are yours to keep, though we would like the opportunity to return them to the site."

Diplomacy to gain some traction: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

Sense Motive to read reactions to her statements: 1d20 ⇒ 19

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Core Fighter 4 HP 44/44 | AC 25 , T 12, FF 23 | CMB:+7 CMD:19 Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +6 | Init +2 | Perc +10 Stonecunning, 60' Darkvision Effects:

Ironshanks takes a moment to steady himself as the world gets turned upside down and his heart skips a beat or two "And that's why magic ain't my favorite! Seems like it makes ya wanna spray yer breakfast bangers n mash all over yer greaves. Not ta mention ya lose out on some good exercise walkin."

As the two guards lead them inside Ironshanks gives the slight head nod of greeting to each of them, resisting his usual urge to offer a firm handshake. Guess they aren't the hand shakin' types.

Once inside he stands straight and tall in his full plate with visor up. Shield on his back and leaning up against his axe in front of him. He squints in the flickering light to make out the tattooed faces, most of which seem to want to tear their faces off. Great, just what I enjoy doin... negotiatin' with angry humans n Elves!

He looks around to the room to try figuring out which of these Chiefs would take best to a surly old Dwarven fighter... That woman with the greatsword? Surely she'd listen to the wisdom of a battle hardened guy like me... or maybe that 'straight to the point' fella with the furry cloak?

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21

In the end he just mutters "Friggin kids. Sometimes they screw up hard and us adults gotta come clean up their problems."

Diplomacy Aid: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (13) - 2 = 11

The Exchange

CG Human (Taldane) Bard 3 | HP 25/25 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | F +4 R +6 W +3/+4 | CMD 16 | Perc +6 SM +8 | Init +3 | Speed 30 ft | Bardic Performance 13/16 | 1st 4/4 | Active Effects:

Pavo takes a moment to consider the historian of the Skoan-Quah before he begins his address toward the aggressive woman from the Tamiir-Quah, "Payah Against the Wind: we cannot undo the insult that was done the day that Lumketal desecrated the Muschkal Sepulcher. The leaders of our Society own that sin as a chief must own the crimes of one of his clansmen against another clan. We can only offer reparation for the offense. Our Society would have sent Lumketal to make reparations himself, but he has disappeared. So we are here to repay his offense."

He gestures towards the items presented by Kaya. "We have brought those items that have been looted that we could find. We have brought a magical relic that has the power to restore the physical damage done to the place, if not the cultural damage. We have brought ourselves to serve in any way that we can. If you are confident--as Kemchet Flame Stoker appears to be--that we cannot help, we will not force our help upon you, but we are confident that we can be of service. For the sake of the Society's past relationships with the Shoanti people and for the sake of our honor, we are here."

Diplomacy, Suit of Crowns: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 8 + 2 = 18

Grand Lodge

"What they say is true," the little dragon on Pavo's shoulder conveys to the minds around the council chamber. "The Pathfinders are good at helping. They rescued my brothers and sisters from a woman who wanted to cook them when they were in their eggs. They did not have to--I even tried to stab them with my stinger because I was scared when they appeared," the pseudodragon thrusts his tail for emphasis. "But they were calm and respectful to my mama and my papa and they rescued my baby siblings for not reason than to be nice."

Diplomacy (Aid Another): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

There's a LOT of grumbling, talking over each other, and you're pretty sure that someone put a non-magical hex on Ilma after the drake broadcast.

The meeting becomes chaotic very quickly, with pockets of side conversation ebbing and flowing throughout the busy room.

Welcome to a social influence encounter. If you've done these before, awesome. If not, here's a simple breakdown of how it goes:

Social Encounters:

1. Choose an NPC.
2. Decide your plan of attack with that NPC. You can try to directly influence them with a normal social skill, OR you can try to learn a bit about them so that future attempts at influencing them have a higher chance of success as you ferret out what will work.... and what won't work.
3. The scene is fluid, with plenty of time for you to chit chat with each other and share the results of your work. As such, EACH NPC will have notes on the handout so that you don't have to search the thread.
4. While not strictly by the book, I find it extremely frustrating as a player when I don't know how long the scene is, and therefore how many chances I have. I'll tell you that in THIS case, you could GUESS it'll be about a one hour meeting, so that's four turns. This is a dangerous mission though, and anything could happen.

On your turn you'll need to post your in character action along with the mechanics:

  • NPC
  • Influence or Discovery
  • IF Influence, roll your dice.
  • IF Discovery, choose "Influence Skill", "Strength", or "Weakness." Then roll a Knowledge (Local) or Sense Motive.

  • MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

    Phase 1:
    Argenta: Go
    Ironshanks: Go
    Kaya: Go
    Khargrom: Go
    Pavo: Go
    Sir Ninn: Go

    Grand Lodge

    NG Halfling Wizard 4 | Mods: Continual Flame | HP: 24/24| AC/Tch/FF 17/14/14 | CMD 12 | F/R/W +4/+6/+6 (+2 vs. fear) | Speed 20ft | Init: +5 (Forewarned) | +1 Star Folio Re-Roll 1/1, Diviner's Fortune 6/6, Spells/Abilities tracked on Profile | Perc: +2, SM: +0

    Phase 1

    Kaya moves forward as the group mingles with the leaders they are attempting to influence. She eyes Lake at Dawn and introduces herself, "hello, I am Kaya Leafwing. I can see that you hold very strong to unity among the tribes. Unity is what brings the pathfinder society such strength as well. It is is a sad day when we have one of our own stray so far from our ideals to cause such a problem with our allies."

    Lake at Dawn Discovery - Influence Skill - K: Local: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

    Grand Lodge

    Male Elf DEAD

    Phase I:

    Wyatt looks for clues in Kemchet's body language and vocal patterns.

    Kemchet - Discovery - Influence Skill - Knowledge(Local): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23.

    The Exchange

    CG Human (Taldane) Bard 3 | HP 25/25 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | F +4 R +6 W +3/+4 | CMD 16 | Perc +6 SM +8 | Init +3 | Speed 30 ft | Bardic Performance 13/16 | 1st 4/4 | Active Effects:

    Phase 1

    GM:
    If the Diplomacy roll at the introduction did not have any purpose in this encounter, I would like to move the Suit of Crowns to this roll. I will add it to the side for you to apply or disregard as appropriate.

    Pavo approaches Memory Tender. "Respected historian of the Skoan-Quah, may I speak with you?" the bard begins. "I am a storyteller among my people, of stories both true and false, so I understand the importance of places and the stories that are tied to them. Personally, beyond the disrespect and the physical damage, I would like to apologize to the Shoanti that the story of the Sepulcher was told wrong. It may be worse to have one's history misappropriated than to have it forgotten. For that aspect of Lumketal's crime, I am sorry.

    "You are right that the legacy cannot be restored in a day. As I said to the council, we acknowledge that the desecration cannot be completely erased. However, if you allow us, we would like to begin a new story, a story of good faith and good will."

    Influence Memory Tender:

    Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24 +2 more Suit of Crowns

    Grand Lodge

    Male NG Dwarf Cleric 5 | HP: 38|38 | AC: 24 (11 Tch, 23 FF; +2vs evil) | CMB +2, CMD 13 | F:+7, R:+3, W:+11 +2 vs spells, sla's and poison, +2 vs charm and compulsion, +1vs evil | Init: +7 Per: +17 +2 unusual stonework, SM: +16 | Speed 40 |
    Resources:
    Agile feet 9|9; Bit of Luck 6|9; Channel 1|2; Reroll available
    Buffs:
    Longstrider, Magic Circle, Tongues
    Conditions:

    Just as a note, Argenta isn't here, I switched to Telka so we didn't end up in high tier.

    As they prepare to teleport Telka batters the poor wizard with questions about the nature of the spell, how she navigates to an unknown destination, whether she has ever landed off target and a dozen other things. As they land in the cave he seems to settle, his feet grind on the solid ground and a wide smile covers his face.

    Recovering quickly he smiles at Cousin to All and follows along, paying close attention to the local architecture. Hmm, humans and elves living in caves, that's a little odd, none of them know a thing about mining, I hope this place doesn't fall in on our heads.

    Entering the council chamber he takes up a quiet spot to the back. Always a little shy he knows how to talk to people but senses his other skills might be needed here. When one travels lonely back roads a keen eye for people is needed when meeting strangers on the road. He is always hopeful they might turn out to be new friends but has met far too many who are instead bandits.

    Seeing Pavo heading to speak to Memory Tender he takes up a position to one side to try and read the womans reactions.

    Discover strength:

    Sense Motive: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (16) + 16 = 32

    He will whisper anything he elarns to Pavo (who hopefully can use it for this check)

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Core Fighter 4 HP 44/44 | AC 25 , T 12, FF 23 | CMB:+7 CMD:19 Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +6 | Init +2 | Perc +10 Stonecunning, 60' Darkvision Effects:

    Ironshanks makes his way over to Payah Against the Wind, seeing as she seems to be more of a warrior than many of the others. Something he can hopefully connect with.

    "Some of us may not look like much, but with a bit of direction from us elders they could do just fine. Who does all yer teachin' of battle in yer clan? Looks like ye be handy with that blade of yers..."

    He tries to pay attention to her reaction to see if she's got any weaknesses.

    Sense Motive, Boon: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 + 2 = 22

    Corruption Uncovered (Andoran):

    Corruption Uncovered (Andoran): Honoring the request of Major Colson Maldris, you sought out and uncovered corruption in Andoran. Discovering such immorality in the ledgling democracy has taught you to be increasingly suspicious, and once per scenario before you make a Sense Motive check, you may add a +2 bonus to the check.


    MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

    Pavo:

    Yes, move the Crowns to this.

    Kaya moves to Lake at Dawn. Despite a warm and sympathetic opening, the Shoanti remains inscrutable. "Indeed. Whether or not your deeds match your words is yet to be seen." Discovery: Fail

    Wyatt hangs back and watches Kemchet's body language. What he sees over the minutes isn't good. The elf begins to worry that there's nothing the Pathfinder Society can do. Indeed, after long, Wyatt is sure of it after the man resolutely says “They are telling you only what you want to hear!” to another member.

    Telka quickly finds that Memory Tender's mind wanders quickly. The only time she ever seems to snap back to the the conversation at hand is when someone mentions the traditions behind the burial gifts in question, or when Pavo tells her that he's a "storyteller."Indeed she seems to be open to angles that follow this thread.

    Indeed, she nods eagerly at Pavo's words, "Yes. For if wrongs cannot be made right, every mistake is permanent."

    Ironshanks notes that Agains the wind always looks to see if the group is discussing things harmoniously. The dwarf concludes that she's more easily influenced by people teaming up to make a point.

    Phase 1:
    Telka: Discover Memory Tender
    Ironshanks: Go
    Kaya: Discovery attempt.
    Pavo: Influence Success.
    Sir Ninn: Go
    Wyatt: Discover Kemchet

    Grand Lodge

    Male NG Dwarf Cleric 5 | HP: 38|38 | AC: 24 (11 Tch, 23 FF; +2vs evil) | CMB +2, CMD 13 | F:+7, R:+3, W:+11 +2 vs spells, sla's and poison, +2 vs charm and compulsion, +1vs evil | Init: +7 Per: +17 +2 unusual stonework, SM: +16 | Speed 40 |
    Resources:
    Agile feet 9|9; Bit of Luck 6|9; Channel 1|2; Reroll available
    Buffs:
    Longstrider, Magic Circle, Tongues
    Conditions:

    Telka was looking to identify a strength, not an influence skill

    Silver Crusade

    LG Male Gnome Monk 1/Paladin of Iomedae 3 | AC 24, T 13, FF 22; +4 dodge vs. giants | hp 38/46 | Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +9; +1 vs. writing-based traps, spells & abilities and necromancy; +2 vs. illusion | Init +1 | Percep +0 (LL) | CMD 15 | LoH 6/6, SE 1/1, SF 1/1; Dancing Lights 1/1, Ghost Sound 1/1, Prestidigitation 1/1, Speak with Animals 1/1 | Reroll @ +4 1/1 | Conditions: inspire courage +1

    Sir Ninn approaches the hooded figure slowly, waiting to speak until the man acknowledges him. "Togimal in Shadow? Sir, your clan once helped me strengthen my mind against magical attacks, and I have remembered their kindness and wisdom ever since. I am eternally grateful, and would be honored with an opportunity to repay your gift, Sir."

    Crunch:
    Influence Togimal in Shadow

    Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17

    Sir Ninn has a convention boon called "Sacred Trust". Here is the relevant text:

    -----
    Sacred Trust: Choose one of the Shoanti clans listed below and gain the related benefit. Cross the other six clan entries off this Chronicle sheet.

    Moon Clan: You gain a +1 bonus on Will saves.
    -----

    Unfortunately, there is no flavor text to explain the story behind it.


    MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

    My apologies Telka. Also, if anyone in the party is speaking in Shoanti, please let me know.

    In listening to the focus on the history and the past, Telka feels that speaking of the future would be a mistake with Memory Tender.

    Sir Ninn finds the approach of patience pays off. Togimal locks eyes for some time before replying. "Indeed. This is something worth developing. I have hope that you can extend this into real action.

    Phase 2:
    Telka: Go
    Ironshanks: Go
    Kaya: Go
    Pavo: Go
    Sir Ninn: Go
    Wyatt: Go

    Grand Lodge

    NG Halfling Wizard 4 | Mods: Continual Flame | HP: 24/24| AC/Tch/FF 17/14/14 | CMD 12 | F/R/W +4/+6/+6 (+2 vs. fear) | Speed 20ft | Init: +5 (Forewarned) | +1 Star Folio Re-Roll 1/1, Diviner's Fortune 6/6, Spells/Abilities tracked on Profile | Perc: +2, SM: +0

    Instead of trying to read him this time, Kaya switches up tactics and just goes for the gold. She speaks up towards the tall leader of the Spire Clan, "as you know, keeping allies together is difficult. I don't want this one horrible action to have a lasting effect on the relationships we have as a society with your people. Please allow us to fix this. Thank you."

    Lake at Dawn Influence Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14

    Grand Lodge

    Male NG Dwarf Cleric 5 | HP: 38|38 | AC: 24 (11 Tch, 23 FF; +2vs evil) | CMB +2, CMD 13 | F:+7, R:+3, W:+11 +2 vs spells, sla's and poison, +2 vs charm and compulsion, +1vs evil | Init: +7 Per: +17 +2 unusual stonework, SM: +16 | Speed 40 |
    Resources:
    Agile feet 9|9; Bit of Luck 6|9; Channel 1|2; Reroll available
    Buffs:
    Longstrider, Magic Circle, Tongues
    Conditions:

    Telka continues to observe Memory Tender, warning his allies of what he learns.

    Discover weakness:

    Sense Motive: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (5) + 16 = 21

    The Exchange

    CG Human (Taldane) Bard 3 | HP 25/25 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | F +4 R +6 W +3/+4 | CMD 16 | Perc +6 SM +8 | Init +3 | Speed 30 ft | Bardic Performance 13/16 | 1st 4/4 | Active Effects:

    Pavo smiles as he approaches Lake at Dawn, catching the tail end of Kaya's plea. "Yes, I do hope that you will allow us to attempt to repair the damage done to the relationship between the Society and the Shoanti. We are confident in our ability to repair the physical damage done to the Sepulcher. However, most important to us is the relationship. If there is a different way to repair that that the Shoanti would value more than what we have offered, we are willing. I do not want to presume that outsiders know the best way to repent to the Shoanti.

    "I understand that you are a peace maker among the Quah. I hope that if we can convince you of our sincerity and value that you might be able to help us soften the harder heart in the council."

    Diplomacy:

    Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26


    MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

    You can also use the Aid Another action

    Kaya tries to engage with Lake at Dawn, but gets nowhere. Pavo jumps in and seems to make much more headway. "Indeed, something whole is preferable to something broke, both physically and spiritually. I'll consider your concern about finding the right path. In the end though, and idea that comes from us is not as genuine as one which comes from your heart." Success

    Telka notices a pattern in how Memory Tender speaks. She seems to prefer metaphors, riddles, and enigmas over straight forward talk. You get the hunch that she feels that wisdom is conveyed more when not spelled out... Success

    Phase 2:
    Telka: Success
    Ironshanks: Go
    Kaya: Failure
    Pavo: Success
    Sir Ninn: Go
    Wyatt: Go

    Silver Crusade

    LG Male Gnome Monk 1/Paladin of Iomedae 3 | AC 24, T 13, FF 22; +4 dodge vs. giants | hp 38/46 | Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +9; +1 vs. writing-based traps, spells & abilities and necromancy; +2 vs. illusion | Init +1 | Percep +0 (LL) | CMD 15 | LoH 6/6, SE 1/1, SF 1/1; Dancing Lights 1/1, Ghost Sound 1/1, Prestidigitation 1/1, Speak with Animals 1/1 | Reroll @ +4 1/1 | Conditions: inspire courage +1

    Seeing Memory Tender alone and looking around the room for a minute, Sir Ninn approaches her. "My Lady, Sir Ninn de Hawtey at your service."

    The gnome waits for her response before continuing, "I was just thinking about one of my knight's trials. An ill wind had blown all night before we set out, and many thought it a bad omen. But our duty had not changed with the weather, and honor kept us committed to our duty. And in the end, the wind changed as it always has, and our trial was successful."

    After a minute, Sir Ninn asks, "Perhaps our own situation now is similar?"

    Crunch:
    Influence Memory Tender
    Diplomacy (T10): 10 + 10 = 20

    Grand Lodge

    Male Elf DEAD

    Wyatt tries to get a read on Payah.

    Payah - Discovery - Influence Skill - Knowledge(Local): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13.

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Core Fighter 4 HP 44/44 | AC 25 , T 12, FF 23 | CMB:+7 CMD:19 Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +6 | Init +2 | Perc +10 Stonecunning, 60' Darkvision Effects:

    Ironshanks continues to work on Payah Against the Wind I wonder what makes this Lady get outta bed in the mornin', 'sides the smell of coffee brewin' n sausage on the fire...

    "Ye do much trackin Miss Paya? Looks like you'd have a keen eye fer a trail. I've done a fair bit of trackin' game in my time... why back when I was a kid our folks usetah send us out ta get supper in the back woods. No rodents they said, bring us back somethin' good, we're sick of mushrooms they said! How anyone could EVER get sick of shrooms fried in bacon grease is beyond me.." He prattles on about how to best saute a fresh batch of Maitaki.

    'Influence Skill': Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16


    MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

    I apologize for the slow post rate over the last two days.

    Ironshanks and Wyatt both struggle with gaining any insight into the Shoanti. Against the Wind engages her a bit, but his subject matter fails to coax her into conversation beyond nodding.

    Sir Ninn, however, gains the rapt attention of Memory Tender. "Indeed. The wind changes, but weather is not climate. We shall see in time if this is a gust, or something more. Nevertheless, I am hopeful." Success.

    The conversations continue, and while most other than Memory Tender seem unmoved, Kemchet is positively roiling with disdain. It's obvious that he has no interest in seeing you succeed...

    Phase 3:
    Telka: Go
    Ironshanks: Go
    Kaya: Go
    Pavo: Go
    Sir Ninn: Go
    Wyatt: Go

    1 to 50 of 398 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Outpost II: Dungeon Master S's "Debt to the Quah" [Core] All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.