The Threefold Deaths of the Venerable Theseus

Game Master Mervikoth

Two years ago the Venerable Theseus sank beneath the waves under mysterious circumstances. Once devoted to the semi-divine Theseus, the ship was destroyed in a blast of malevolent energy unlike anything seen before. Five brave souls set off from Pridon's Hearth to discover the meaning behind the haunted wreck. Things thought long buried will rise again. Friendships will be tested. The limits of body, heart, soul, and mind will be passed. One death, and even two, may not be enough.


1,101 to 1,150 of 1,183 << first < prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | next > last >>

Male Dwarf Contemplative Ki Mystic Sensei Qinggong Monk (6) Evanglist (2) VMC Bard [Init+1 | Per:+10 | SM:+11 ]
Defenses:
F:+8 R:+8 W:+12 (+2 vs Sp,SLA,Poison) | AC: 20 (T:19/FF:17) | CMD:24 | Speed: 20ft | HP:48

Thurl follows Lem toward the Elder's house (He does have a name I'm pretty sure, I've just forgotten what it is). Thurl also watches from anything afoot from that last archer.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

Edit: Hmm, can't find a name for Sleepy's Grandfather. I think I might have been thinking of Tsao Tsao (sp?), the husband.

Edit 2: Is that a cave I see to the left of the Monastary? Is that legit and if so, can we see it from our walkway?


Temple of Theseus, Chimera Cove, Andoran | Kuthona (Dec) 22, 4719 Part Three Map: The Sexton and the Saint

Thurl's player succeeds at his real-life perception check. 4000 XP

The Elder's House itself you find ransacked, looted, and destroyed by the ghouls. There are no signs of the Elder living there. There is, however, a large hole in the bottom of the floor that overhangs the cliff below, where, as Thurl can barely see, appears to be a cave.


GM Mervikoth wrote:
Thurl's player succeeds at his real-life perception check. 4000 XP

Is that real life experience or in-game experience?


Male Halfling Barbarian; level 7 [Init+3 | Perc: -1 | intim:+12 | SM:+9 | F:+8 R:+5 W:+2 | AC: 24 (T:15 FF:21 ) | CMD:26 | Speed: 30ft(rage+10) | HP:73; Rage:18 rounds

Seeing Thurl look over hole intently, "What do your dwarf eyes see?"

after Thurl describes the cave...

"Well lets hang a rope down, do we have anything to secure it to in here or will I need to hold it?"

Lem looks around probably not perceiving anything of use.


Male Dwarf Contemplative Ki Mystic Sensei Qinggong Monk (6) Evanglist (2) VMC Bard [Init+1 | Per:+10 | SM:+11 ]
Defenses:
F:+8 R:+8 W:+12 (+2 vs Sp,SLA,Poison) | AC: 20 (T:19/FF:17) | CMD:24 | Speed: 20ft | HP:48

Thurl pulls out his rope again and has it attach to something sturdy un in the house, and dangle down toward the cave below. As he is doing this, Thurl says, "I don't know if the Elder went down there or not, but we have to find him." Thurl leans over the side of the hole, grabbing the rope to balance, and yells, "Elder, we are coming to rescue you! The ghouls have been defeated!" I'm assuming, if he is alive down there, that he will recognize my voice from the message.


Oread 7th Level - 3rd Monk-4rd Inquisitor of Erastil [Init +8 (+6 if did not act during surprise round) | Per +20, SM +15 | F +10, R +6, W +13 | AC 18 (T 11, FF 17) | CMD 18 | CMB 7 | Speed 20' | Dark Vision(60) | HP 61]

Arbaro covers Thurl's decent with his bow.


Male Halfling Paladin (Prestige Class - Horizon Walker; Archtype - Divine Hunter) | 7th Level | Lawful Good | Init +4 | Per +1 | SM -2 | F+9 R+9 W+7 | AC 18 (T 13, FF 15) | CMD 23 | Speed 20 | HP 54

Brag 2.0 struggles with is oversized, too-large for him weapons and armor. He settles for the dagger. Brag watches Arbaro's back while the others descend to the cave.


Male Halfling Barbarian; level 7 [Init+3 | Perc: -1 | intim:+12 | SM:+9 | F:+8 R:+5 W:+2 | AC: 24 (T:15 FF:21 ) | CMD:26 | Speed: 30ft(rage+10) | HP:73; Rage:18 rounds

Lem heads down the rope, after Thurl shouts.

climb: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27


Temple of Theseus, Chimera Cove, Andoran | Kuthona (Dec) 22, 4719 Part Three Map: The Sexton and the Saint

In game XP, believe it or not.

Lem descends and lands his hairy feet on the edge of the cave. He sees a small hole leading deeper into the cliff, one that is mostly obscured by foliage and rock from the platforms surrounding the cavern. It is a well-hidden place.

He hears from inside, "Ho, what's that? Humanoid voices?"

Crawling on hands and knees out of the tight hole is a man barely small enough to fit. He has a flowing white beard and ruddy red cheeks and nose. Lighting up with joy, his face breaks into a smile at the sight of Lem.

"Irori bless you, little one. From the looks of you the ghouls are gone, what ho! Are you here to save me?"

He is wearing little more than a red robe tied at his waist exposing his muscular chest under the flowing white beard.


Male Halfling Barbarian; level 7 [Init+3 | Perc: -1 | intim:+12 | SM:+9 | F:+8 R:+5 W:+2 | AC: 24 (T:15 FF:21 ) | CMD:26 | Speed: 30ft(rage+10) | HP:73; Rage:18 rounds

SM: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23
Is he really in need of saving?

"Folks at the Swaying lantern were worried about an elder who had some here to visit and been gone without word. If you are he, we will certainly get you back home, if you are not, I'm sure we can still help. We were shocked to see all the ghouls. Most of them died easily, some, less easily..." Lem looks back up at the building that Slymr inhabited. "There is one archer ghoul left, he ran off, but not sure how far he ran. Will you be well enough to climb? I'm sure we can help you get back."

Lem offers the man some rations and water.

"So, what is your name and are you the elder we were sent for? I think we forgot to ask what the elder's name was at the swaying lantern."


Oread 7th Level - 3rd Monk-4rd Inquisitor of Erastil [Init +8 (+6 if did not act during surprise round) | Per +20, SM +15 | F +10, R +6, W +13 | AC 18 (T 11, FF 17) | CMD 18 | CMB 7 | Speed 20' | Dark Vision(60) | HP 61]

Arbaro checks his back and almost puts an arrow through Barag's new body.
"Well, you are going to take some getting used to."

Seeing Nickolas come out, Arbaro waves.
"I'm glad at least someone survived the attack! Come on up and we can talk. The coast is clear."


Male Dwarf Contemplative Ki Mystic Sensei Qinggong Monk (6) Evanglist (2) VMC Bard [Init+1 | Per:+10 | SM:+11 ]
Defenses:
F:+8 R:+8 W:+12 (+2 vs Sp,SLA,Poison) | AC: 20 (T:19/FF:17) | CMD:24 | Speed: 20ft | HP:48

Thurl doesn’t want to get his hopes up that they have finally found Sleepy’s grandfather and keeps back from him until he is sure of him and not another dastardly ghoul in disguise.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13


Male Halfling Paladin (Prestige Class - Horizon Walker; Archtype - Divine Hunter) | 7th Level | Lawful Good | Init +4 | Per +1 | SM -2 | F+9 R+9 W+7 | AC 18 (T 13, FF 15) | CMD 23 | Speed 20 | HP 54

Brag detects evil on Nick when he comes into sight.


Temple of Theseus, Chimera Cove, Andoran | Kuthona (Dec) 22, 4719 Part Three Map: The Sexton and the Saint

The elder slaps Lem on the back and says, "Ho ho, why of course I'm the Elder! My little Sleepyhead must have sent you here when I didn't report back for months. Been trapped up here because of all those ghouls you vanquished, what ho! Unfortunately, they were old friends and fellow patrons of Irori to me... I couldn't bring myself to smash the faces of those I had brought up in the faith since they were orphans here..." his face, for the first time, looks forlorn. He quickly snaps back into his cheeky smile. "So when I ascended Kir Sabal, every acolyte and monk had already been turned when I brought the rations. So I quickly destroyed the walkway leading up to trap the ghouls up here before I realized I'd be trapped up here too, ho ho!" He slaps the side of his head. "Sleepy always said I live a little too in the moment sometimes."

"My name is Cinderclouds. What shall I call you?" He bows to each of you in turn. As he stands on the ledge to greet you (or you help him up the cliff to the walkway) his face contorts into a deep fear as he glances down the thousand foot cliff.

Sense Motive 20:
He's just really scared of heights. Also, he's the real deal, the real Elder. He seems a little too good-natured for someone that's been trapped up here for months, but you get the feeling that's just how he is. Perhaps the solitude has forced him into such deep meditations that he has reached further enlightenment.


Male Halfling Paladin (Prestige Class - Horizon Walker; Archtype - Divine Hunter) | 7th Level | Lawful Good | Init +4 | Per +1 | SM -2 | F+9 R+9 W+7 | AC 18 (T 13, FF 15) | CMD 23 | Speed 20 | HP 54

"My name is Bragoleb. I am a paladin and a devout follower of Iomadae. Just a few hours ago I was a human killed by the archer that escaped after defeating the panda riding leader. My good friends here reincarnated me. So my former gear doesn't exactly fit anymore. My apologies for the ill-fitting clothing and other things. We are glad to have found you well."


Male Halfling Barbarian; level 7 [Init+3 | Perc: -1 | intim:+12 | SM:+9 | F:+8 R:+5 W:+2 | AC: 24 (T:15 FF:21 ) | CMD:26 | Speed: 30ft(rage+10) | HP:73; Rage:18 rounds

"Lem Helbling at your service!"

Lem offers whatever aid seems appropriate to help Cinderclouds ascend.


Temple of Theseus, Chimera Cove, Andoran | Kuthona (Dec) 22, 4719 Part Three Map: The Sexton and the Saint

At the mention of the panda-rider, Cinderclouds tears up and says, "Ho yes, Slymr Tu Yu, as he was once known. A good friend of mine, long ago. Imagine my surprise and sadness when I saw what he had become after death. I am glad you have given him rest."


Oread 7th Level - 3rd Monk-4rd Inquisitor of Erastil [Init +8 (+6 if did not act during surprise round) | Per +20, SM +15 | F +10, R +6, W +13 | AC 18 (T 11, FF 17) | CMD 18 | CMB 7 | Speed 20' | Dark Vision(60) | HP 61]

"I'm Arbaro. Glad we were able to do something good here besides removing the ghouls. Sleepy will be so happy! Maybe her and some of the new monks can help repair the walkway, this place must have been amazing before it was taken over.

Yes, we were familiar with your friend Slymr before we arrived. In fact, we are being haunted by him as far as we can tell. Do you know anything about "Theseus"?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13


Male Dwarf Contemplative Ki Mystic Sensei Qinggong Monk (6) Evanglist (2) VMC Bard [Init+1 | Per:+10 | SM:+11 ]
Defenses:
F:+8 R:+8 W:+12 (+2 vs Sp,SLA,Poison) | AC: 20 (T:19/FF:17) | CMD:24 | Speed: 20ft | HP:48

Thurl just collapses in relief at the sight of Cinderclouds and the other's acceptance of him. Thurl waits for him to respond to his friends before pestering him with more questions.


Temple of Theseus, Chimera Cove, Andoran | Kuthona (Dec) 22, 4719 Part Three Map: The Sexton and the Saint

"Haunted?" Cinderclouds asks. He runs his fingers through his white beard like he's digging for an answer under his chin. "Curious, ho ho, most curious... Ghosts don't manifest in addition to ghoulization. How could Slymr have been both a ghost and a ghoul? This is, as far as my knowledge of the afterlife goes, impossible. One soul, one undead. Either ghoul or ghost, but not both."

"Slymr, ho ho ho, that boy. He loved to eat. Always stealing rice balls from the kitchen when he thought we weren't looking. Meditation, discipline, martial arts, cleanliness, clearing your mind of desire; those were all easy feats for that big boy. But fasting? His stomach grumbled louder than a yeti in an avalanche anytime he went an hour without snacking. I think that's why he left, never to remain a monk. That and he liked that heavy armor to hide his big belly, unlike me, ho ho ho!" he says and slaps his bare belly.

"Slymr trained here, and returned every few years to catch up and gather some old treasures he had waylaid here. He traveled with 3 friends, as the tenets of Theseus suggest:

Nineaxes, a dwarf poet and carpenter that dressed in all black that carried, yes, nine axes. His words cut as deep as his blades, ho ho. Always was watching his friends for anything suspicious, very protective, but nice when I talked to him.

Goyen, a half-orc master of the arcane arts; she was arrogant but brilliant. Liked to use that brain of hers for pranks when not devoting every waking second studying their current enemy's weaknesses and how best to exploit it.

And of course Slymr's cousin, Kamalani, a half-elf who was raised in a diocese of Theseus in Chimera Cove, which served as their base of operations. She kept the other three in line and on the right path. They'd sail around on their ship the Venerable Theseus when on water. Obviously they had to walk here, ho ho ho!

"As for Theseus, well, that was part of Slymr's struggle here at the monastery. He followed Theseus, a minor demigod, instead of Irori. Not normally a problem but Theseus teaches a call to adventure, not a life of peaceful solitude. Theseus sailed all around the Inner Sea slaying minotaurs, putting the cruel and tortuous in their place, doing great deeds afar whether in secret or in public. To fearlessly overcome dangers that others are too scared to face. To follow Theseus is to build up a reputation of righting wrongs and ending cruelty over the powerless.

"And of course, Theseus' church preaches to do this as a group. A close company of four is preferred. Four close friends, family, fellow faithful; whoever can do the most good together in the worst places. Slymr had friends and family on board their ship, the Venerable Theseus. They had the name christened before Theseus became a saint, see, but liked the name too much to change it, ho ho!

"Anything else you want to know about Slymr, his cohort, or Theseus?"


Male Dwarf Contemplative Ki Mystic Sensei Qinggong Monk (6) Evanglist (2) VMC Bard [Init+1 | Per:+10 | SM:+11 ]
Defenses:
F:+8 R:+8 W:+12 (+2 vs Sp,SLA,Poison) | AC: 20 (T:19/FF:17) | CMD:24 | Speed: 20ft | HP:48

Thurl brings some food for Cinderclouds assuming that he is in need of nourishment after his ordeal. "I also follow Irori, Elder. I had heard of your monastery from during my studies so when we saw the Monastery's emblem on his armor, we assumed that you would have more information about him. So, he was adventuring with his companions and then he ended up here some months ago? When you came up here, did you know that he was here? When was the last time you saw him alive?"

"We found writings in the cleansing chamber about a First Hunger and it seemed to be referring to Slymr himself. Do you know of any force that was opposed to them? Someone capable of destroying their ship and bringing back Slymr in this manner?"

Thurl will help dispose of the bodies in what ever manner is most fitting but will put off any other cleaning up in favor of returning to the Swinging Lantern as quickly as possible.


Male Halfling Barbarian; level 7 [Init+3 | Perc: -1 | intim:+12 | SM:+9 | F:+8 R:+5 W:+2 | AC: 24 (T:15 FF:21 ) | CMD:26 | Speed: 30ft(rage+10) | HP:73; Rage:18 rounds

After Cloudcinders replies to Thurl's inquiry, "You say ghouls and ghosts don't usually happen to the same person, do you think something else was inhabiting his body and maybe it just resembled a ghoul? Or do you have any other theories?
after reply:
Thinking on this further... "Hey CC or Thurl, maybe you would know this. How are ghosts and ghouls usually formed?


Male Halfling Paladin (Prestige Class - Horizon Walker; Archtype - Divine Hunter) | 7th Level | Lawful Good | Init +4 | Per +1 | SM -2 | F+9 R+9 W+7 | AC 18 (T 13, FF 15) | CMD 23 | Speed 20 | HP 54

Brag listens intently to the questions and answers. It is then that he notices his hair covered feet. . . And, promptly gets distracted.


Temple of Theseus, Chimera Cove, Andoran | Kuthona (Dec) 22, 4719 Part Three Map: The Sexton and the Saint
Thurl wrote:

So, he was adventuring with his companions and then he ended up here some months ago? When you came up here, did you know that he was here? When was the last time you saw him alive?"

"We found writings in the cleansing chamber about a First Hunger and it seemed to be referring to Slymr himself. Do you know of any force that was opposed to them? Someone capable of destroying their ship and bringing back Slymr in this manner?"

"Last I heard Slymr was out adventuring with his companions, yes. But I don't know when Slymr came here. I journeyed up the mountain to replenish their supplies and was attacked by ghouls. While fighting them off I saw Slymr, all ghouled-up and going by the First Hunger. Last I saw him alive? Ho ho, probably two years ago.

"Enemies of the crew of the Venerable Theseus? Ho ho, they had many, but none that lived long. The worst they ever faced was the wizard Anglosa; her tower was on some island in the Varisian Gulf.

Lem wrote:
"You say ghouls and ghosts don't usually happen to the same person, do you think something else was inhabiting his body and maybe it just resembled a ghoul? Or do you have any other theories?

"Ho ho, as far as I could tell, he was a ghoul, through and through."


Male Dwarf Contemplative Ki Mystic Sensei Qinggong Monk (6) Evanglist (2) VMC Bard [Init+1 | Per:+10 | SM:+11 ]
Defenses:
F:+8 R:+8 W:+12 (+2 vs Sp,SLA,Poison) | AC: 20 (T:19/FF:17) | CMD:24 | Speed: 20ft | HP:48

Thurl is pretty knowledgeable so I think that he would know that liches come from extremely powerful magic users. I want to ask if Anglosa was powerful enough to become a lich but I'm not sure how Thurl would do that.


Oread 7th Level - 3rd Monk-4rd Inquisitor of Erastil [Init +8 (+6 if did not act during surprise round) | Per +20, SM +15 | F +10, R +6, W +13 | AC 18 (T 11, FF 17) | CMD 18 | CMB 7 | Speed 20' | Dark Vision(60) | HP 61]

Sorry, I was having trouble thinking of questions until I just started typing, then all this came out. Sorry for the week-long silence.

Archana Litch?: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

"It seems Slymr was able to do both, maybe he split his soul? Could he have accidentally become a Litch or created some Horcrux? Do you know anyone who would be an expert, would an existing Litch be too dangerous to see out for information? They may know how to repair one? Maybe a former Litch who's already fixed herself?"

Arbaro to the group:
"If Cinderclouds comes up dry, we should go try that Chimera Cove, it sounds promising, though asking around about how to become/fix a Litch could be troublesome. Maybe going to the Drol Ubaj fish thing would be safest, it's probably still got part of the boat in it..."

Arbaro knocks on his head
"Oh, right, we can communicate directly with Slymr! Let's summon him and see what he and CC have to say to each other, maybe he'll be able to do more now that we've taken out one of his bodies and his friend is here!"


Oread 7th Level - 3rd Monk-4rd Inquisitor of Erastil [Init +8 (+6 if did not act during surprise round) | Per +20, SM +15 | F +10, R +6, W +13 | AC 18 (T 11, FF 17) | CMD 18 | CMB 7 | Speed 20' | Dark Vision(60) | HP 61]

*Arcana


Male Halfling Barbarian; level 7 [Init+3 | Perc: -1 | intim:+12 | SM:+9 | F:+8 R:+5 W:+2 | AC: 24 (T:15 FF:21 ) | CMD:26 | Speed: 30ft(rage+10) | HP:73; Rage:18 rounds

At the point where summoning is discussed, "I think ole Visk was our spirit summoner, Cloudcinders, would you mind coming back to the monestary. Our friend with the ability to talk to Slymr is back there and she is ill suited for the mountain travel."


Temple of Theseus, Chimera Cove, Andoran | Kuthona (Dec) 22, 4719 Part Three Map: The Sexton and the Saint

We call them phylacteries here in the Muggle world.

Cinderclouds clutches his chest and gasps. "A lich?! Slymr?!" he says, incredulous. "Liches don't happen by accident. They are created through a strong will toward malice and unspeakable evil to prolong their own life past its natural course... To do the work to become a lich requires so much selfishness that it is impossible for that individual to then hand that power to someone else.

"My advice would be to seek out some of Slymr's cohort for answers. He was no saint, ho ho no, but a lich?" Cinderclouds shakes his head to rid his mental image of the thought.

The idea, Arbaro, to seek out another lich/necromancer of some sort is also a good idea to pursue. Cinderclouds, however, is not going to support such a thing.

To Lem, he says, "There is nothing left alive up here. I will gladly make the journey down, both to speak to Slymr's ghost to aid you and to see my own granddaughter again. Ho, Sleepy, you must be so worried..."

Cinderclouds is ready to return to the Swaying Lantern when the party is.


Oread 7th Level - 3rd Monk-4rd Inquisitor of Erastil [Init +8 (+6 if did not act during surprise round) | Per +20, SM +15 | F +10, R +6, W +13 | AC 18 (T 11, FF 17) | CMD 18 | CMB 7 | Speed 20' | Dark Vision(60) | HP 61]

"I'm all for heading down. Maybe we can find a phylactery factory later and they'll have some answers too."


Male Halfling Paladin (Prestige Class - Horizon Walker; Archtype - Divine Hunter) | 7th Level | Lawful Good | Init +4 | Per +1 | SM -2 | F+9 R+9 W+7 | AC 18 (T 13, FF 15) | CMD 23 | Speed 20 | HP 54

Brag the Short gathers up all his too-large gear and follows the others down.
"I hope someone at the monastery can resize some of this for me. Perhaps I can trade it for some right sized gear."


Temple of Theseus, Chimera Cove, Andoran | Kuthona (Dec) 22, 4719 Part Three Map: The Sexton and the Saint

You walk back down the cliffside, the dead bodies of the ghouls fading to dust. Cinderclouds pulls out a wand of feather fall from his sandals that he uses to assist in the descent, making the fall beneath the broken causeway an enjoyable drop.

Past the dead yetis and mounds of snow, the cold biting into your skin again as you leave the magic sphere of warmer temperatures, and before you know it you can see, in the twilight of the setting sun, the glow from the swaying lanterns that hang around the walls of the monastery. The gongs sound the hour, ringing through the cold like a sharp wind.

On the ramparts stands Sleepy, her arms clutched tightly around her robe, and when she sees you and the Elder she leaps off the wall, bracing her hand against the stonework and running full tilt at Cinderclouds. The two embrace in tears that drown out their cries of joy and reunion.

It is a happy time. From the balcony others gather to see your return, Tsao Tsao holding a gong, Ahm polishing his horns, and Roccavisk, whose eyes search you four, confusion and desperation on the merfolk's face.

For rescuing the Elder, destroying the first hunger, finding the cure for the snowy weather, etc: n=? XP. However much you need to level up. Unless you already did that? I think you're just a few thousand away from level 8.


Male Halfling Barbarian; level 7 [Init+3 | Perc: -1 | intim:+12 | SM:+9 | F:+8 R:+5 W:+2 | AC: 24 (T:15 FF:21 ) | CMD:26 | Speed: 30ft(rage+10) | HP:73; Rage:18 rounds

"Bragoleb, I hope you can find some better sized gear, you're starting to look like a titan mauler with that bow."

On the fall Lem marvels at how far they had ascended. "I've never been that high before, amazing!"


Male Dwarf Contemplative Ki Mystic Sensei Qinggong Monk (6) Evanglist (2) VMC Bard [Init+1 | Per:+10 | SM:+11 ]
Defenses:
F:+8 R:+8 W:+12 (+2 vs Sp,SLA,Poison) | AC: 20 (T:19/FF:17) | CMD:24 | Speed: 20ft | HP:48

Thats 15,400 XP.


Male Halfling Paladin (Prestige Class - Horizon Walker; Archtype - Divine Hunter) | 7th Level | Lawful Good | Init +4 | Per +1 | SM -2 | F+9 R+9 W+7 | AC 18 (T 13, FF 15) | CMD 23 | Speed 20 | HP 54

"I don't remember being afraid of heights, but the feather fall was a bit unsettling.
Thank you Cinderclouds for aiding our descent.
"

Brag sees Roccavisk and remembers that she would not know him in his new form. He's unsure how to break the news to her. "Lem, you might tell Roccavisk what happened to us and how I became a halfling. I'm not sure I can do it well."


Male Halfling Barbarian; level 7 [Init+3 | Perc: -1 | intim:+12 | SM:+9 | F:+8 R:+5 W:+2 | AC: 24 (T:15 FF:21 ) | CMD:26 | Speed: 30ft(rage+10) | HP:73; Rage:18 rounds

"I'd be happy to Brag!"

Upon approaching Roccavisk, I've got good news, and bad news. Which do you want first?"

bad news:
Lem lowers his head in mourning, "Bragoleb died, horrible death, against some nasty ghouls. I almost had the same fate."

good news:
Joyfully "Bragoleb is alive and now a halfling!"


Female Merfolk Occultist 5 (planar harmonizer) [Init +4 | Per -2, SM -2, | F +7, R +6, W +3 | AC 21 (t 14, ff 17) | CMD 15 (trip immune) | Speed 15', Swim 30' | Darkvision 60', light sensitivity -1 | HP 36 | MF 10 | Spells: 1st- 6/day, 2nd- 3/day

Roccavisk says, "The bad news. I can already see you have lost Brag, though I know not why you have given his few belongings to this halfling monk you rescued."

Upon hearing the actual news, Roccavisk is startled and eyes Bragoleb again. She lifts one of his eyelids, smells his underarm, and plucks a strand of hair from his head before nodding.

"You speak truth; this is Bragoleb," she says to Lem as if Bragoleb were not right there.

Looking down at Bragoleb, an angle she always excelled at regardless of height, she asks, "Speak to me of death. The pain, the despair. Did you meet Pharasma in her Boneyard? Or Iomedae directly, perhaps?"


Oread 7th Level - 3rd Monk-4rd Inquisitor of Erastil [Init +8 (+6 if did not act during surprise round) | Per +20, SM +15 | F +10, R +6, W +13 | AC 18 (T 11, FF 17) | CMD 18 | CMB 7 | Speed 20' | Dark Vision(60) | HP 61]

"Brag, did you see anything? I did not even think to ask!"


Male Halfling Paladin (Prestige Class - Horizon Walker; Archtype - Divine Hunter) | 7th Level | Lawful Good | Init +4 | Per +1 | SM -2 | F+9 R+9 W+7 | AC 18 (T 13, FF 15) | CMD 23 | Speed 20 | HP 54

"Roccavisk, I did not meet anyone. I just kind of hung around as a ghost for a while until the reincarnation spell was cast. It would have been quite humbling to have met Iomedae directly. And it was interesting to pass effortlessly through a few walls and chests. But, to my knowledge, I did see anything or experience much more than the pain of the arrows and my spirit passing out of my body.

Oh, and, I'm still a paladin not a monk as far as I can tell."

Brag contemplates his short time spent as one of the dead to see if he can remember anything else.
Knowledge Arcana: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Knowledge Planes: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

Dear GM, does Brag know anything else that he can relate to Arb and Rocc?


Male Dwarf Contemplative Ki Mystic Sensei Qinggong Monk (6) Evanglist (2) VMC Bard [Init+1 | Per:+10 | SM:+11 ]
Defenses:
F:+8 R:+8 W:+12 (+2 vs Sp,SLA,Poison) | AC: 20 (T:19/FF:17) | CMD:24 | Speed: 20ft | HP:48

Thurl will want to spend a few days at the monastery to meditate and learn from those there (but I don't need to role play that).

Thurl adds to Roccavisk, "We would like to speak to Slymr again. We destroyed his second body. Cinderclouds thought it was very strange that Slymr had both a ghostly specter and a ghoul body."


Temple of Theseus, Chimera Cove, Andoran | Kuthona (Dec) 22, 4719 Part Three Map: The Sexton and the Saint

Brag:
You remember the presence of Iomedae, though you did not see or hear her you [i]felt[/t] her presence in the blackness of death. You felt a sense of warm welcome, but also that she was not quite ready for you yet, as if you'd shown up early to a party.

I forgot ya'll need to speak to ghost Slymr. We'll do that Monday.


Male Halfling Barbarian; level 7 [Init+3 | Perc: -1 | intim:+12 | SM:+9 | F:+8 R:+5 W:+2 | AC: 24 (T:15 FF:21 ) | CMD:26 | Speed: 30ft(rage+10) | HP:73; Rage:18 rounds

Back at the monastery, "Cinderclouds, I forgot to show you this," Lem pulls the Anchor out of his bag. "When we first met Roccavisk she had these items that seemed to be haunted by Slymr and this is one of them. It feels different since we defeated the First Hunger Slymr."


Male Halfling Paladin (Prestige Class - Horizon Walker; Archtype - Divine Hunter) | 7th Level | Lawful Good | Init +4 | Per +1 | SM -2 | F+9 R+9 W+7 | AC 18 (T 13, FF 15) | CMD 23 | Speed 20 | HP 54

"Roccavisk, I was thinking about my death experience and remembered the faint yet power experience of the presence of Iomedae. She seemed to be warmly embracing me and then in a strange sense sending me back. Apparently, I have more to do before she calls me to her permanently."

'Arbaro, I think we need to speak to Slymer. I wonder what would have happend if I'd talked with him ghost to ghost?"


Temple of Theseus, Chimera Cove, Andoran | Kuthona (Dec) 22, 4719 Part Three Map: The Sexton and the Saint

Cinderclouds turns the anchor over, but shakes his head. "I never set foot on his ship. Too far from sea here, ho ho. Perhaps his soul is connected to the ship he died on somehow?"

Roccavisk performs the ritual to summon Slymr. You see Slymr materialize, his sickly green form now more of a muted yellow. "Thank you, kind souls. You have slain my second body, or perhaps my first body... I can no longer tell in the afterlife..."

He removes his helmet and you see a smiling, elf-eared warrior, face scarred and hardened by battle. "I was able to remain here, in the mortal realm, because of my steadfast strength. I fear my other 3 companions were not so lucky. Look for their remains as well... I fear they may be two of each of them. But where, oh where, is my original grave? I cannot rest, but I feel myself being pulled toward it..." you see his ghostly form waver and shake.

"The planar malfunction that trapped my ghost here and my ghoul body there is fixing itself... My soul is returning to my other body, somewhere... Oh no, it is not right... This is not right..."

Before he can say anything more, or give any indication of where his soul is being pulled, his ghostly form is rent from your sight and disappears like the snuffing of a flame in a gale.

"Three more companions whose remains have been deaths have split and doubled their remains? And some final place where Slymr's soul has just been sucked away?" Sleepy says, yawning. "I'm glad I don't have to travel that far."


Male Dwarf Contemplative Ki Mystic Sensei Qinggong Monk (6) Evanglist (2) VMC Bard [Init+1 | Per:+10 | SM:+11 ]
Defenses:
F:+8 R:+8 W:+12 (+2 vs Sp,SLA,Poison) | AC: 20 (T:19/FF:17) | CMD:24 | Speed: 20ft | HP:48

Thurl looks on helplessly as Slymr is pulled away. "Planar malfunction? What is going on? I think we need to head to Chimera Cove to find out more about what these people were doing."


Temple of Theseus, Chimera Cove, Andoran | Kuthona (Dec) 22, 4719 Part Three Map: The Sexton and the Saint

Any seconds for Chimera Cove? I'll take your silence as approval. I'll post a scene setting post here later today as you travel about a month to Chimera Cove. It's on the southern coast of Andoran, north of your location across the Inner Sea.


Male Halfling Paladin (Prestige Class - Horizon Walker; Archtype - Divine Hunter) | 7th Level | Lawful Good | Init +4 | Per +1 | SM -2 | F+9 R+9 W+7 | AC 18 (T 13, FF 15) | CMD 23 | Speed 20 | HP 54

Assuming Brag has time to refit his gear before leaving, he's for the trip to Chimera Cove.

"Is this trip on a boat? I'm not sure I really like boats anymore. Must be another goofy halfling thing."

{edited}


Male Halfling Barbarian; level 7 [Init+3 | Perc: -1 | intim:+12 | SM:+9 | F:+8 R:+5 W:+2 | AC: 24 (T:15 FF:21 ) | CMD:26 | Speed: 30ft(rage+10) | HP:73; Rage:18 rounds

I've been at somewhat of a loss. I was thinking we would have a tad slymr interaction.

"Well Thurl, that's as good a plan as any other I've thought of, lets go! Goofy halfling thing you say? bah."


Oread 7th Level - 3rd Monk-4rd Inquisitor of Erastil [Init +8 (+6 if did not act during surprise round) | Per +20, SM +15 | F +10, R +6, W +13 | AC 18 (T 11, FF 17) | CMD 18 | CMB 7 | Speed 20' | Dark Vision(60) | HP 61]

"Looks like Chimera Cove and the giant fish are our only leads. I am with Thurl, we should go to the Cove first. Maybe we can find some better gear along the way to better our underwater chances."

"Sleepy, well need some supplies if you can spare them. Does anyone know where Chimera Cove is or anything about it? I assume it's along the coast."

Knowledge Geography? + guideance: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Male Halfling Paladin (Prestige Class - Horizon Walker; Archtype - Divine Hunter) | 7th Level | Lawful Good | Init +4 | Per +1 | SM -2 | F+9 R+9 W+7 | AC 18 (T 13, FF 15) | CMD 23 | Speed 20 | HP 54

"Let's see what I can remember about the Cove."

Knowledge | Geography: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14

1,101 to 1,150 of 1,183 << first < prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Threefold Deaths of the Venerable Theseus Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.