Redemption: Tides of Numenera

Game Master Sebecloki


1 to 50 of 545 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

"It is common knowledge throughout the Steadfast that we live in the Ninth World. Less common is the knowledge of how this designation came to be. It originates from great and often unacknowledged efforts by aeon priests both predating and within the Order of Truth to compile and review almost a millennium of exploring and cataloging of the Numenera. Through these heroic efforts we have discovered eight more-or-less distinct technological “fingerprints” on the Numenera we have studied that suggest they were built by similar processes or at least by minds with similar design philosophies. These identifiers are referred to as “Genea” within the Order. Most cyphers and artifacts come from the most recent so-called “Eighth World” though many do not and are believed to be time-displaced, though there are many known stasis-tombs dating from the Eighth World that preserve what appear to be relics from the Seventh. Of the Sixth and prior worlds all that remains is the occasional monolith or other mega-structure. In fact, though there seems to be significant macro-industrial First World Infrastructure throughout the planet, evidence for the Second and Third worlds is limited to only one or two examples with unique Genea which may just be anomalies. No physical evidence of the “Fifth World” has been found except as sketchy 8th World records in the datasphere. Furthermore the sequence of First through Eighth worlds is sometimes arbitrary. For example the evidence for the very existence of the Second and Third worlds is so tenuous that they may have been flip-flopped or they might have appeared at a different part of the sequence altogether (for example they could well be the Sixth World for all we know: perhaps that world was not centered on earth and so only a few artifacts made it here? Or maybe they were not separate ages at all)."

"The bottom line is that many if not most of the Order of Truth considers the “Nine Worlds” to be a largely discredited hypothesis. In reality the current world is known (obviously) and the “Eighth World” artifacts are so pervasive that it obviously existed. Beyond that there appear to be even more ancient “Seventh World” artifacts preserved by the “Eighth” and a few that seem older still and may be the “Sixth.” The very oldest of the numenera are noticeably distinct and so can be fairly called the “First World.” The “Second” through “Fifth,” however, are much less credible. So some in the Order say we should call the current epoch the Fifth World. Some have lower standards for the distinctions between different Genea, and suggest we may live in the Tenth, Thirteenth, or the Twenty-First World. Brother Morizon of Iscobal claims to have identified the unique Genea of no fewer than six thousand, four-hundred and twenty-nine prior worlds, though he admits that calling the current civilization the 6,430th World is not very catchy."

"Still others look to the oldest known artifacts, those of the so-called “First World” and note that they appear to be roughly a billion years old. Given such a vast abyss of time between then and now, they point out, how can we establish any timeline or narrative with any certainty? This intellectual faction are sometimes referred to as “Nth Worlders.” If pressed, most adherents of the Order of Truth will admit that this is ultimately the only truly logical explanation but even they will go right back to speaking of the Ninth World in their daily lives. The convention of referring to Eight prior worlds is now many centuries old and is deeply embedded in Steadfast culture. High Father Calavel himself seemed to believe it, which is good enough for most people even if they have no clue as to the evidence upon which he based his belief. At the end of the day the human need for a comprehensible narrative usually keeps any serious questions about the exact number and nature of the prior worlds confined to only the most rarified esoteric circles of the Order of Truth. The overwhelmingly vast majority of people in the Steadfast know nothing of Genea and simply take it on faith that theirs is the Ninth World, just as they have always been taught."

-- From the personal correspondences of Brother Lep Lezaro of the Order of Truth

DOT in as you please friends.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

“The ocean is a desert with its life underground and the perfect disguise above”
--A Horse with no Name by America

“When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang.”
--Herman Melville

“For whatever we lose (like a you or a me) it’s always ourselves we find in the sea.”
--E. E. Cummings

The waters of the Ninth World are many things to as many peoples. But today, in the course of a seemingly unremarkable rotation of the planet known as Earth some billion years or more distant from the present times, they are a very particular thing to a very particular congregation of peoples, remnants of worlds that have come and gone long, long before the Ninth World. Today, they are a gateway, a door to something new, a new life, a new possibility, what some might even call redemption. Though what, in the end, that might ultimately be, remains to be seen...

And so it is that in the midst of the roiling waves of the oceans of the Ninth World, a odd collection of travelers, dreamers, malcontents, and sages awoke, without a thought, in this new age...

... and tried...

to breathe...


Anti-Paladin//Oracle of Nature 6 | VMC Bard | Mythic: Champion // Hierophant 1 | Vigour: 41/43 | Wounds: 51/20 | Def: 17 | FF: 10 | DR: 6/Adamantine or Huge | SR: 17 | Saves: F: +17 | R: +10 | W: +15 | CMD: 23 | Init: +11 | Per: 10 | Speed: 60' | Fly: 120' | Senses: Darkvision 120' +6 vs death effects | +2 vs energy drain, negative energy, and necromancy school | +4 vs poison

The massive man - or one who resembles a man - is caught for breath. A hugely horned helmet rests on his head and mane of sleek black hair, an old leather strap diagonally across his huge chest, and a loincloth tied at his waist.

All else is gone, besides his mind and his will.

*WHAT!?* I MUST RISE!

Heavily muscled arms and legs move into action. Sheer outrage drives him now, and upwards, heedless of all else.

I *will* reach the surface!


Ah, it seems that I ... am. That's curious as I don't remember being. And I appear to be ... underwater? Hmm, the ache starting in my chest tells me that I don't belong here; that I need air. That's something I'll need to take care of soon.

The Destined Attendant opens her eyes in the water. Although the salt stings she keeps them open and looks around to see if she can determine her situation. Her eyes don't seem to be designed for this environment, but she can see other shapes about her, likely fellow, ... people seems as good a term as any, though their features all seem quite different, beginning to stir as she is. A large one nearby has already started to move.

Perception to determine which way is up: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (6) + 18 = 24

That one seems to be heading the way I want to go, but I suppose I should be careful. I seem to, ... oh, my. I wouldn't have expected to know how to do many of these things at all. But I suppose now's not the time to question so much as the time to act.

Her arms, long on her small body and covered with orange hair that floats like a halo about her in the depths, reach out and she swims to the nearest of the people-shapes. There she gives a grin and a nod that she hopes is reassuring before starting a short set of hand gestures that come from sources she hasn't the time to analyze. As she does her eyes, which were already glowing with a pale blue light, briefly flare.

As she reaches out and touches the other on the arm the light in her eyes fades back to it's previous level and then she kicks off in pursuit of the larger bulk that's leading the way she hopes will be up.

Swim Check in calm water vs. DC 10: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

Swimming to whoever is closest, touching them to designate them as a teleport beacon if they don't resist, and then swimming in the direction that the Unfettered Prince was heading if that's they way I think is up. I should probably move at 20 feet this round, and 40 feet future rounds. I can probably hold my breath for 28 rounds (twice fitness) and this would use one of those to establish the teleport beacon, so I'm down to 26. If any of that seems off, do let me know.


Anti-Paladin//Oracle of Nature 6 | VMC Bard | Mythic: Champion // Hierophant 1 | Vigour: 41/43 | Wounds: 51/20 | Def: 17 | FF: 10 | DR: 6/Adamantine or Huge | SR: 17 | Saves: F: +17 | R: +10 | W: +15 | CMD: 23 | Init: +11 | Per: 10 | Speed: 60' | Fly: 120' | Senses: Darkvision 120' +6 vs death effects | +2 vs energy drain, negative energy, and necromancy school | +4 vs poison

Will the figure's impulsive decision prove to be the right course?

Perception to 'know' the way to the surface: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20

Will his athletic ability match his desire?

Swim in the direction he knows is up: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

Dark Archive

Immune poison; Resist acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, fire 10; SR 31 Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +8 (+9 bonus vs. mind-affecting effects); +2 bonus vs. fear, paralysis, and sleep effects, +3 racial bonus vs. poison Defensive Abilities evasion, hard to kill; Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +11

One of the figures underwater seems to be a humanoid woman.
Her arms folded over her chest, long hair flowing jet black hair covers most of her body. She seems to wear only a s!*& dress or the remnants thereof worn down unknown aeons.

For eternity, there had been only darkness and silence. No thoughts, no dreams, no desires, no experiences, no sensations, nothing.
Then, something stirred.
All of a sudden, things came to be, rushing in.
The realization of a cold and wet environment with no breathable air.
A heartbeat later surprised movement, vision, the knowledge of being somewhere underwater, others being close-by, franticaly trying to swim up and reach air.

Moments after the musculous helmed figure and the much smaller furry humanoid awaken and begin to move, the woman opens her eyes, trying to swing her arms in confused movements, orienting herself.
Bubbles of air stream up from her mouth as she tries to breath at first, but then she becomes calmer, looking around.

I don' need to breathe! Not for a long time! I know that...somehow. Where am i? What is this place?

She seems to be listening to her own body for some moments, remembering her abilities.
Then there is a red flash as her eyes take on a red glow.
She lays her hands at the side of her body and with graceful movements begins to swim upwards, like a mermaid would swim, the direction the others went.

Can hold breath for 20h and 60 swim speed.


The Destined Attendant wrote:

Ah, it seems that I ... am. That's curious as I don't remember being. And I appear to be ... underwater? Hmm, the ache starting in my chest tells me that I don't belong here; that I need air. That's something I'll need to take care of soon.

The Destined Attendant opens her eyes in the water. Although the salt stings she keeps them open and looks around to see if she can determine her situation. Her eyes don't seem to be designed for this environment, but she can see other shapes about her, likely fellow, ... people seems as good a term as any, though their features all seem quite different, beginning to stir as she is. A large one nearby has already started to move.

[dice=Perception to determine which way is up]1d20 + 18

That one seems to be heading the way I want to go, but I suppose I should be careful. I seem to, ... oh, my. I wouldn't have expected to know how to do many of these things at all. But I suppose now's not the time to question so much as the time to act.

Her arms, long on her small body and covered with orange hair that floats like a halo about her in the depths, reach out and she swims to the nearest of the people-shapes. There she gives a grin and a nod that she hopes is reassuring before starting a short set of hand gestures that come from sources she hasn't the time to analyze. As she does her eyes, which were already glowing with a pale blue light, briefly flare.

As she reaches out and touches the other on the arm the light in her eyes fades back to it's previous level and then she kicks off in pursuit of the larger bulk that's leading the way she hopes will be up.

[dice=Swim Check in calm water vs. DC 10]1d20 + 8

Swimming to whoever is closest, touching them to designate them as a teleport beacon if they don't resist, and then swimming in the direction that the Unfettered Prince was heading if that's they way I think is up. I should probably move at 20 feet this round, and 40 feet future rounds. I can probably hold...

The Destined Ascendant: Perception:

The Destined Ascendant easily determines the way to the surface of the encompassing waters, which is located scarcely thirty feet above her head. Indeed, she seems to have manifested in a relatively shallow area of the ocean.

The Destined Ascendant: Swim:

The Destined Ascendant encounters no difficulty in maneuvering herself through the shallow waters in which she has suddenly appeared.


The Unfettered Prince wrote:

Will the figure's impulsive decision prove to be the right course?

[dice=Perception to 'know' the way to the surface]1d20 +10

Will his athletic ability match his desire?

[dice=Swim in the direction he knows is up]1d20 +10

The Unfettered Prince: Perception:

The Unfettered Prince easily determines that the surface of the waters lie some thirty feet above its head.

The Unfettered Prince: Swim:

The Unfettered Prince easily maneuvers himself through the relatively calm waters in which he has recently, and unexpectedly, appeared.


Anti-Paladin//Oracle of Nature 6 | VMC Bard | Mythic: Champion // Hierophant 1 | Vigour: 41/43 | Wounds: 51/20 | Def: 17 | FF: 10 | DR: 6/Adamantine or Huge | SR: 17 | Saves: F: +17 | R: +10 | W: +15 | CMD: 23 | Init: +11 | Per: 10 | Speed: 60' | Fly: 120' | Senses: Darkvision 120' +6 vs death effects | +2 vs energy drain, negative energy, and necromancy school | +4 vs poison

The Unfettered Prince's head breaks the water. He shakes that same head, his hair sending droplets flying across the surface. His lungs fill with one huge breath and releases it in a boisterous shout of triumph!

Then his attention wanders to the others.

Who are they?, he muses.

I will grab one and find out!

He swims back down, to aid the furthest away.

Swim to reach and aid the furthest away figure: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19


Just dotting to keep you under my eye. Still at work, and a new one, so difficult to slack for a proper post. I will intro Cassius when I get home in about... 4 hours or so.


And he opens his eyes.

First thing Cassius feels is water down his lungs. "Where am I?" Water. Immersed. He needs to look for some air. "Where is the air?"

Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (6) + 14 = 20

Once he notices where the surface is, he needs only a small moment of concentration and he appears there.

Using Teleport

Once air has come back to his lungs, the water inside tries to come out, and he coughs terribly.

"I'm not going to die of such a nuisance" he swears to himself, and fights the coughins while trying to reach the shore.


Changeling Reaper/Magister 6 | V: 50 W: 53 / MP: 5/5 | D 17 TAC 17 DR 6/- Resist Fire, NE, Cold, Electricity 10 | INIT +7, F +10 / R +9 / W +8 | P: +12, DV 60', LLV

Dotting. Still need to get my vigor in order, remove the bonuses from Venerable, and do one last pass on my stats. Will post a proper intro later today.

Dark Archive

Mighty Godling/Eliciter(10) | Vitality: 309 | Wounds: 132/34 | AC: 55 | Touch: 43 | FF: 44 | F: +52 | R: +52 | W: +51 | CMD: 77 | Init: 23 | Per: 28 | Speed: 110' | Fly: 260' | Senses: See in darkness | Immune: | Electricity | Fear | Paralysis | Sleep |

The scaled one wakes to darkness, surrounded by saltwater. Thrashing about momentarily, a light appears in front of his face, highlighting the bubbles of his exhaling breath. With a mighty beat of his appendages, he follows them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Cantrip: Light
Per: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22
Swim: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (11) + 14 = 25


Arc - Nightmare Dragon wrote:

The scaled one wakes to darkness, surrounded by saltwater. Thrashing about momentarily, a light appears in front of his face, highlighting the bubbles of his exhaling breath. With a mighty beat of his appendages, he follows them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Cantrip: Light
[dice=Per]1d20+11
[dice=Swim]1d20+14

Arc - Nightmare Dragon: Perception:

The scale one has appeared in shallow, relatively temperate waters.

Above, the surface ripples some thirty feet in the distance. Sunlight pierces the surrounding eddies all around him, and it is apparent that the area lies close to some shoreline.

Below, some kind of bowl-shaped depression opens up another considerable distance of measure into the sea. It is round, and seems to possess regularly-striated tiers, much too precise to be the product of natural processes, and these descend the sides of the depression at equal intervals.

Arc - Nightmare Dragon: Swim:

The scale one easily makes his way through the shallow, not-turbulent waters.


Cassius Mendel wrote:

And he opens his eyes.

First thing Cassius feels is water down his lungs. "Where am I?" Water. Immersed. He needs to look for some air. "Where is the air?"

[dice=Perception]1d20+14

Once he notices where the surface is, he needs only a small moment of concentration and he appears there.

Using Teleport

Once air has come back to his lungs, the water inside tries to come out, and he coughs terribly.

"I'm not going to die of such a nuisance" he swears to himself, and fights the coughins while trying to reach the shore.

Cassius Mendel: Perception:

The stranger easily locates the surface of the waters, which churn some thirty feet above the site of his underwater manifestation. Upon achieving the surface, Cassius quickly notices that he is relatively near a shoreline.


Changeling Reaper/Magister 6 | V: 50 W: 53 / MP: 5/5 | D 17 TAC 17 DR 6/- Resist Fire, NE, Cold, Electricity 10 | INIT +7, F +10 / R +9 / W +8 | P: +12, DV 60', LLV

Three figures seem to spiral about each other, slowly sinking in the water. As one, their eyes open. The largest of the figures immediately begins to ascend, stepping through the liquid as if it were solid stone beneath it's paws but empty air above them. The smallest figure begins to glow and thrash about in the water; seeing movement it reaches out to snag onto the steadily ascending giant, instinctively hoping to ride along.

The humanoid figure is unsure of how to parse the world before him when his eyes open. That's done it, I'm drunk. Can't even remember my name... He thinks for just a moment about his lack of a name, or memory of drinking, and then the realization that he is underwater catches up to him. !!!!!!!!!! He immediately looks around, seeing the slowly fading light attached to the larger creature. Noting the small ones use of the larger to ascend, he doesn't think too long on the fact that the creature seems to be walking upwards; he immediately swims for the beast, hoping to reach it and conserve his own strength.

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23
Swim: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

Vigor Rolls:

Vigor 1: 1d10 ⇒ 4 6
Vigor 2: 1d10 ⇒ 6
Vigor 3: 1d10 ⇒ 8
Vigor 4: 1d10 ⇒ 7
Vigor 5: 1d10 ⇒ 4 6
Vigor 6: 1d10 ⇒ 1 6

Vigor Rolls for AC
Vigor 1: 1d8 ⇒ 7
Vigor 2: 1d8 ⇒ 7
Vigor 3: 1d8 ⇒ 4 5
Vigor 4: 1d8 ⇒ 7
Vigor 5: 1d8 ⇒ 8
Vigor 6: 1d8 ⇒ 1 5


In surprisingly little time the Destined Attendant breaches the surface of the water, though just before she does she hears noise coming from ahead of her. With a sharp intake of breath, she enjoys the act of breathing as though it was something she's been missing for too long. As she relishes the sensation she continues to take stock of the situation.

The figure that she followed up seems to have reached the surface before her, and she hears the tail end of an incomprehensible shout that must have been the source of the noise she heard while submerged. Once it grows quite it immediately plunges back into the depths from which they both so recently came, but before she has time to ponder this another figure apparates off to one side and several more thrust themselves up from the depths.

What a curious collection they make. None seems all that like the others, and none seems all that like me either. Perhaps they know how we came to be here.

Sasquatch:
Plenty of unintelligible screeching even if anyone else actually happens to have Sasquatch as a language as we've probably come from much different times/places/worlds.

The Destined attendant treads water, her long arms slowly moving back and forth while waiting to see how the others will reply to her greeting and questions.


Anti-Paladin//Oracle of Nature 6 | VMC Bard | Mythic: Champion // Hierophant 1 | Vigour: 41/43 | Wounds: 51/20 | Def: 17 | FF: 10 | DR: 6/Adamantine or Huge | SR: 17 | Saves: F: +17 | R: +10 | W: +15 | CMD: 23 | Init: +11 | Per: 10 | Speed: 60' | Fly: 120' | Senses: Darkvision 120' +6 vs death effects | +2 vs energy drain, negative energy, and necromancy school | +4 vs poison

The Unfettered One quickly sees that the other figures ascending or flat out apparating to the surface.

That alone tells me something., he thinks, then shrugs and returns to ascend once again.

When his head breaks water again, he finds himself instinctively using mind speech - something that feels novel.

Hail, others. I am-

He pauses, struck by his inability to recall...

Who am I? I cannot recall my name! But I *am* a scion of the Court, and a free man!

I am the Unfettered Prince, scion of the Glorious Court and heir to mighty bloodlines. I would know with whom I speak.


Eirikur, Angel of Death wrote:

Three figures seem to spiral about each other, slowly sinking in the water. As one, their eyes open. The largest of the figures immediately begins to ascend, stepping through the liquid as if it were solid stone beneath it's paws but empty air above them. The smallest figure begins to glow and thrash about in the water; seeing movement it reaches out to snag onto the steadily ascending giant, instinctively hoping to ride along.

The humanoid figure is unsure of how to parse the world before him when his eyes open. That's done it, I'm drunk. Can't even remember my name... He thinks for just a moment about his lack of a name, or memory of drinking, and then the realization that he is underwater catches up to him. !!!!!!!!!! He immediately looks around, seeing the slowly fading light attached to the larger creature. Noting the small ones use of the larger to ascend, he doesn't think too long on the fact that the creature seems to be walking upwards; he immediately swims for the beast, hoping to reach it and conserve his own strength.

[dice=Perception] 1d20 + 12
[dice=Swim] 1d20 + 7

** spoiler omitted **

Eirikur, Angel of Death: Perception:

Eirikur easily discovers the surface of the waters in which he has appeared, and they lie, mostly placid, some 30 feet above his head.

Eirikur, Angel of Death: Swim:

He easily achieves the surface of the shallow ocean.


Did everyone read my note in the Discussion? You can all communicate telepathically which each other in The Truth, which is the name of a language that is equivalent to Common in the Ninth World setting. However, none of you, absent some other intervention are able to speak, read, or write this language. Consequently, you all have a mental community with each other, but not with anyone else you may yet encounter, until, or if, some means of extending this capacity for communication is devised by one or all of the party.

An interesting predicament, is it not?


I've made up some ocean terrain for our use. Click on Maps and Image spoiler in the campaign heading. The second link gives an overview of the entirety of the immediate area. The third link is to a google slide presentation with the top 'register' of the larger terrain set, visible on the first page of the second link, copied into individual slides. You start on the far upper left hand corner of the map, and I've pasted everyone in, but feel free to move your avatars slightly in the visible area as long as you're fairly near where I put you.

Dark Archive

Mighty Godling/Eliciter(10) | Vitality: 309 | Wounds: 132/34 | AC: 55 | Touch: 43 | FF: 44 | F: +52 | R: +52 | W: +51 | CMD: 77 | Init: 23 | Per: 28 | Speed: 110' | Fly: 260' | Senses: See in darkness | Immune: | Electricity | Fear | Paralysis | Sleep |

The scaled one takes a long moment to ponder the question of who he is. Frustrated by his inability to answer the question, he ducks his head back into the water briefly as a symbolic gesture to clear his head and ignores the question. He mentally reviews his short experience. There is something at the bottom, underneath the water of salt. He dives in, swimming for the bowl depression, the globe of light ahead of him.

Swim: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (15) + 19 = 34
Per: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30


Arc - Nightmare Dragon wrote:

The scaled one takes a long moment to ponder the question of who he is. Frustrated by his inability to answer the question, he ducks his head back into the water briefly as a symbolic gesture to clear his head and ignores the question. He mentally reviews his short experience. There is something at the bottom, underneath the water of salt. He dives in, swimming for the bowl depression, the globe of light ahead of him.

I assumed everyone moved up-tide a bit, nearer the shore, to get onto the maps I posted. You're slightly off the map now, I'll need to post another to show you your surroundings.

Arc - Nightmare Dragon: Perception:

Approximately 30 feet (10 m) beneath the surface, the seafloor dips in a series of step-like depressions that culminate 20 feet(6 m) deeper on a chunk of silt-covered material that is similar to a dais.

Arc - Nightmare Dragon: Swim:

He easily swims down to take a look.

Dark Archive

Mighty Godling/Eliciter(10) | Vitality: 309 | Wounds: 132/34 | AC: 55 | Touch: 43 | FF: 44 | F: +52 | R: +52 | W: +51 | CMD: 77 | Init: 23 | Per: 28 | Speed: 110' | Fly: 260' | Senses: See in darkness | Immune: | Electricity | Fear | Paralysis | Sleep |

He plunges a claw into the silt, digging at it, feeling for anything other than sand..


Arc - Nightmare Dragon wrote:
He plunges a claw into the silt, digging at it, feeling for anything other than sand..

Arc - Nightmare Dragon: Unnatural Amphitheater:

I updated the map. You're a small spec near the center of the first slide now. If you zoom in, you should be able to detect your position.

Please put your further responses in spoilers until the other party members join you, since you're now on your own, while they're on the surface and slightly nearer the shore.

Study of the central cavity reveals a sealed circular hatch beneath a layer of silt.

Dark Archive

Mighty Godling/Eliciter(10) | Vitality: 309 | Wounds: 132/34 | AC: 55 | Touch: 43 | FF: 44 | F: +52 | R: +52 | W: +51 | CMD: 77 | Init: 23 | Per: 28 | Speed: 110' | Fly: 260' | Senses: See in darkness | Immune: | Electricity | Fear | Paralysis | Sleep |

There is a hatch here. I wonder what is inside.

Amphitheater:
Unsure what is compelling him, the scaled one attempts to open the hatch.

Str: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26


"People talking to my mind? What is this? Where am I and why am I here?" Cassius is quite dazed now, not really knowing what happened but, above all, realising that he doesn't know what had happened before that either! And now these mental voices...

"Hello? Who are you? Where am I?"


I had seen the bit about communication, but didn't think that the Destined Attendant would think to try that first instead of speaking in her native tongue.

"I see, that's how you can understand me. I guess that makes as much sense as anything else. I'm hoping that one of you will know both where we are and how we got here as well. I am, hmmm, I know many surprising things, but my name doesn't seem to be one of them somehow? I suppose you can call me what you like for now."

The Destined Attendant tries to peer through the water at the scaliest member of the group as he reports his findings from below.

"A hatch you say? Hatches can lead to all sorts of interesting things I would think! Let us know if there's air down there. It seems likely that I enjoy interesting things, but I apparently also need to breath."


Anti-Paladin//Oracle of Nature 6 | VMC Bard | Mythic: Champion // Hierophant 1 | Vigour: 41/43 | Wounds: 51/20 | Def: 17 | FF: 10 | DR: 6/Adamantine or Huge | SR: 17 | Saves: F: +17 | R: +10 | W: +15 | CMD: 23 | Init: +11 | Per: 10 | Speed: 60' | Fly: 120' | Senses: Darkvision 120' +6 vs death effects | +2 vs energy drain, negative energy, and necromancy school | +4 vs poison

The Unfettered Prince gives the mental impression of a nod.

"While I have much power, I too must breathe. But I would see what lies below this hatch. Let those who also see come."

With that, he takes a deep breath then dives for a second time beneath the water.

Swim towards the Scaled One: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12


Changeling Reaper/Magister 6 | V: 50 W: 53 / MP: 5/5 | D 17 TAC 17 DR 6/- Resist Fire, NE, Cold, Electricity 10 | INIT +7, F +10 / R +9 / W +8 | P: +12, DV 60', LLV

Eirikur listens to the telepathic back and forth before joining in. Hello. I know not who I am, but unless we all drank the same thing last night I suspect ancient cyphers are at work. I am not made for swimming, but I too am curious.

Eirikur senses a connection to the beast calmly standing on the water in front of him. He treads water to the creature's face, and when she does not react in fear or surprise reaches out to her muzzle. She seems to recognize him, making low, happy noises. (He isn't sure how he knows they are happy noises). The small bird like creature clings to her head; she does not seem to mind that either. Eirikur pulls himself onto her back, and is happily satisfied that she instantly works with him. She seems to understand his spoken commands, and she makes her way across the surface towards where The Scaled One had swum to.


Arc - Nightmare Dragon wrote:

There is a hatch here. I wonder what is inside.

** spoiler omitted **

Arc - Nightmare Dragon: Unnatural Amphitheater:

Opening the hatch reveals a drowned tube 10 feet (3 m) in diameter leading downward. The tube descends at least a long distance.


The Unfettered Prince wrote:

The Unfettered Prince gives the mental impression of a nod.

"While I have much power, I too must breathe. But I would see what lies below this hatch. Let those who also see come."

With that, he takes a deep breath then dives for a second time beneath the water.

[dice=Swim towards the Scaled One]1d20+10

The Unfettered Prince: Swim:

The horned entity easily approaches the scaled being.


Anti-Paladin//Oracle of Nature 6 | VMC Bard | Mythic: Champion // Hierophant 1 | Vigour: 41/43 | Wounds: 51/20 | Def: 17 | FF: 10 | DR: 6/Adamantine or Huge | SR: 17 | Saves: F: +17 | R: +10 | W: +15 | CMD: 23 | Init: +11 | Per: 10 | Speed: 60' | Fly: 120' | Senses: Darkvision 120' +6 vs death effects | +2 vs energy drain, negative energy, and necromancy school | +4 vs poison

"That would be some carousing!", chuckles the Unfettered Prince.

He then turns to the immediate matter in front of him.

"Scaled One, how about we get this hatch open?"

Unnatural Amphitheatre:

The Unfettered Prince looks at the hatch to work out how best to open it swiftly.

Knowledge Engineering: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18


The Unfettered Prince wrote:

"That would be some carousing!", chuckles the Unfettered Prince.

He then turns to the immediate matter in front of him.

"Scaled One, how about we get this hatch open?"

** spoiler omitted **

The Unfettered Prince: Unnatural Amphitheater:

Arc -- The Nightmare Dragon already opened the hatch. It required a DC 25 Strength check anyway, so the Unfettered Prince wouldn't have been able to accomplish this task.


Anti-Paladin//Oracle of Nature 6 | VMC Bard | Mythic: Champion // Hierophant 1 | Vigour: 41/43 | Wounds: 51/20 | Def: 17 | FF: 10 | DR: 6/Adamantine or Huge | SR: 17 | Saves: F: +17 | R: +10 | W: +15 | CMD: 23 | Init: +11 | Per: 10 | Speed: 60' | Fly: 120' | Senses: Darkvision 120' +6 vs death effects | +2 vs energy drain, negative energy, and necromancy school | +4 vs poison

"Swiftly done! And now, down!

The hatch and below:

The Unfettered Prince swims down, taking a gamble on air below.

Perception to see air bubbles: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13

Swim to power himself downwards: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22

Dark Archive

Mighty Godling/Eliciter(10) | Vitality: 309 | Wounds: 132/34 | AC: 55 | Touch: 43 | FF: 44 | F: +52 | R: +52 | W: +51 | CMD: 77 | Init: 23 | Per: 28 | Speed: 110' | Fly: 260' | Senses: See in darkness | Immune: | Electricity | Fear | Paralysis | Sleep |

I have no answers, and I know not why I seek them here.

Amphitheater:
Sending the globe of light forward before him, he enters.


Changeling Reaper/Magister 6 | V: 50 W: 53 / MP: 5/5 | D 17 TAC 17 DR 6/- Resist Fire, NE, Cold, Electricity 10 | INIT +7, F +10 / R +9 / W +8 | P: +12, DV 60', LLV

Eirikur muses a moment, then snaps his fingers. How many among us cannot breathe the water below? Unfettered Prince, perhaps a return to the surface may be in order? I am able to assist, though I am not sure by what power...

I can use 1 point of mythic power to cast Water Breathing, with 16 hours of duration to be split among those who need it.

Dark Archive

Mighty Godling/Eliciter(10) | Vitality: 309 | Wounds: 132/34 | AC: 55 | Touch: 43 | FF: 44 | F: +52 | R: +52 | W: +51 | CMD: 77 | Init: 23 | Per: 28 | Speed: 110' | Fly: 260' | Senses: See in darkness | Immune: | Electricity | Fear | Paralysis | Sleep |

Arc considers the offer for a moment. I will partake of your kindness. He swims to the surface for now.


So it seems these creatures are in the same situation as Cassius. Well, he actually realises that Cassius might not even be his real name. He can't remember! It could very well be that he had a dream of someone called Cassius and that's the last memory he has about a name...

Answers are in order! As the other beings seem willing to explore that hatch, Cassius decides to stick with them, at least for now. Fortunately he seems to remember what things he can do, such as teleporting for a short distance, but he doesn't know if this is his full power or only a fraction. Appearing again 30 feet underwater, he swims to the hatch to have a look.

"Let us look for explanations. I will join you down there."


Anti-Paladin//Oracle of Nature 6 | VMC Bard | Mythic: Champion // Hierophant 1 | Vigour: 41/43 | Wounds: 51/20 | Def: 17 | FF: 10 | DR: 6/Adamantine or Huge | SR: 17 | Saves: F: +17 | R: +10 | W: +15 | CMD: 23 | Init: +11 | Per: 10 | Speed: 60' | Fly: 120' | Senses: Darkvision 120' +6 vs death effects | +2 vs energy drain, negative energy, and necromancy school | +4 vs poison

"While I will not return before my curiosity is sated, I would partake of air, and return the favour."

Dark Archive

Immune poison; Resist acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, fire 10; SR 31 Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +8 (+9 bonus vs. mind-affecting effects); +2 bonus vs. fear, paralysis, and sleep effects, +3 racial bonus vs. poison Defensive Abilities evasion, hard to kill; Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +11

How do you all get into my mind like that? Your voices feel...alien. As do you look.

Just to clarify, how long is the reach of this telepathy?

The long haired woman swim in a circle around the group, eyeing everyone.
There are so many questions, about myself and all of you as well! What is this place and why are we here? Did you abduct or conjure me?

And why would you go down a hatch underwater when you can't breathe water or hold your breath long enough?


Anti-Paladin//Oracle of Nature 6 | VMC Bard | Mythic: Champion // Hierophant 1 | Vigour: 41/43 | Wounds: 51/20 | Def: 17 | FF: 10 | DR: 6/Adamantine or Huge | SR: 17 | Saves: F: +17 | R: +10 | W: +15 | CMD: 23 | Init: +11 | Per: 10 | Speed: 60' | Fly: 120' | Senses: Darkvision 120' +6 vs death effects | +2 vs energy drain, negative energy, and necromancy school | +4 vs poison

"The simplest answer is that I can, so I do. But I summoned none here."

Dark Archive

Mighty Godling/Eliciter(10) | Vitality: 309 | Wounds: 132/34 | AC: 55 | Touch: 43 | FF: 44 | F: +52 | R: +52 | W: +51 | CMD: 77 | Init: 23 | Per: 28 | Speed: 110' | Fly: 260' | Senses: See in darkness | Immune: | Electricity | Fear | Paralysis | Sleep |

This place may be significant if answers are to be found as to why we are without memory.


Changeling Reaper/Magister 6 | V: 50 W: 53 / MP: 5/5 | D 17 TAC 17 DR 6/- Resist Fire, NE, Cold, Electricity 10 | INIT +7, F +10 / R +9 / W +8 | P: +12, DV 60', LLV

Eirikur takes a moment to reach out to each of his companions, feeling the surge of power flow through him. I think we can join the Prince now. My companions and I are ready. The wave of magic stretches through him, and he somehow knows he will be able to breathe underwater. He commands his mount to submerge; she looks at him oddly, but with a shake of her head goes under. She breathes easily; perhaps she is familiar with this magic? The smaller creature is not so accustomed, and begins to panic. In the course of the panic it begins breathing water, and after a moment seems to realize this. It calms, and starts looking around with wide-eyed interest.

I count myself, my animal companion and familiar, and Arc. That's 4 hours each. If Cassius, Bizen, or the Destined Attendant are at the surface, there will be 3.2, 2.6, or 2.2 hours each depending on how many of them accept the magic. I also assume we do not need to make Swim checks every turn, and that we will know when that changes.


The Destined attendant watches as the stranger who seems to have mutliple animal companions does ... something. After watching him disappear with his entourage, the small hairy creature sticks her own head under water and tries taking a breath. "Excellent! Thank you friend with animals large and small! Now nothing holds us back from exploring. It seems that the answers we all seek are found somewhere other than in our heads for now, and that hatch could be hiding anything! I'll see you all there!"

The Destined Attendant once again brings her hands up for a quick series of symbols, and the glow in her eyes flares once more. With a last look around at the surface she dives below the surface to follow the others through the hatch into the unknown tunnel and adventure beyond it.

Resetting my teleport beacon to the surface before swimming after the others.


Eirikur, Angel of Death wrote:

Eirikur takes a moment to reach out to each of his companions, feeling the surge of power flow through him. I think we can join the Prince now. My companions and I are ready. The wave of magic stretches through him, and he somehow knows he will be able to breathe underwater. He commands his mount to submerge; she looks at him oddly, but with a shake of her head goes under. She breathes easily; perhaps she is familiar with this magic? The smaller creature is not so accustomed, and begins to panic. In the course of the panic it begins breathing water, and after a moment seems to realize this. It calms, and starts looking around with wide-eyed interest.

I count myself, my animal companion and familiar, and Arc. That's 4 hours each. If Cassius, Bizen, or the Destined Attendant are at the surface, there will be 3.2, 2.6, or 2.2 hours each depending on how many of them accept the magic. I also assume we do not need to make Swim checks every turn, and that we will know when that changes.

I will tell you if you have to make an additional Swim check. In calm waters, such as that in which you are now located, I don't see the need for simulation to keep rolling. Is that somewhere in the rules?


Bizan Ashura wrote:

How do you all get into my mind like that? Your voices feel...alien. As do you look.

Just to clarify, how long is the reach of this telepathy?

The long haired woman swim in a circle around the group, eyeing everyone.
There are so many questions, about myself and all of you as well! What is this place and why are we here? Did you abduct or conjure me?

And why would you go down a hatch underwater when you can't breathe water or hold your breath long enough?

The mechanics of your characters' communication are the same as that for Telepathic Bond, with the proviso that the characters can't speak the Truth, even though it is, currently, the medium of their mental interrelationship.


So, is it safe to say we're all going down the hatch?

Dark Archive

Immune poison; Resist acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, fire 10; SR 31 Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +8 (+9 bonus vs. mind-affecting effects); +2 bonus vs. fear, paralysis, and sleep effects, +3 racial bonus vs. poison Defensive Abilities evasion, hard to kill; Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +11

So the range of our telepathy is 50 feet, that is something to consider, since most of us can move a lot further than that in one round.

Think i don't need the water breathing at the moment. Even with the reduced amount of time from doing something else than swimming while holding your breath, there's 11h left. And i should be able to make the caster level checks as well.

Shortly considering, Bizan follows down the hatch.


"Once the bond is formed, it works over any distance (although not from one plane to another)."

1 to 50 of 545 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Redemption: Tides of Numenera -- Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.