GM Tealk's - Core - Thornkeep Series

Game Master Tealk

Dark Menagerie - Maps!


1,151 to 1,200 of 1,323 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>
The Exchange

Male Halfling Air Elemental Sorcerer 6 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 t15 ff15 resist electricity 10 | CMB +1 CMD 14 | F+3 R+6 W+7 | Init+5 | Perc+3 SM+1 | Speed 20' | Elemental Ray 3/8 | Spells 1st 4/8; 2nd 3/6; 3rd 3/4 | Active conditions: none

Pre-initiative

This room is filled with a very strange aura that I cannot identify, and it's coming from that skull...

Spellcraft, DC17: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

Should we see the crusaders on the map?

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Dark Menagerie | Module - Daughters of Fury | Campaign - Return of the Runelords

No, sorry, I don't have an image for this. I will put up a circle indicating the 'range' where you see them.

The Exchange

Male N Medium Human Bard 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 20, T 15, FF 15 | CMB +5 CMD 19 | F +6 R +12 W +7 | Init +6 | Perc +11 SM +12 | Speed 30ft | 1st:5/5 2nd:2/3 | Bardic Performance 6/14 | Active Conditions: Heroism

spellcraft: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 9 + 2 = 24
knowledge:local: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 7 + 2 = 23

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Dark Menagerie | Module - Daughters of Fury | Campaign - Return of the Runelords

With a knowledge religion, Will is able to easily identify that as a haunt. You think that you can destroy it using positive energy, or calm the spirits by telling them the battle has ended or giving them a useful battle tactic, and then succeeding at DC 20 diplomacy, religion or profession (soldier) check!

The soldiers rampage, as your best to not get in their way. However, you are not able to avoid the blows entirely.
Haunt: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 191d8 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 2 + 3 = 11

Combat Tracker wrote:


Round 2
Kn Religion to see what's going on!
@ Seward -13 lethal+nl
@ Telos -22 lethal

!Crusaders

@Will
@Pietro -11 lethal
@Roran

Everyone may act!

The Exchange

Male N Medium Human Bard 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 20, T 15, FF 15 | CMB +5 CMD 19 | F +6 R +12 W +7 | Init +6 | Perc +11 SM +12 | Speed 30ft | 1st:5/5 2nd:2/3 | Bardic Performance 6/14 | Active Conditions: Heroism

Will addresses them , " Your battle was long ago. It is time to rest now"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14 Or not

The Exchange

Male Halfling Air Elemental Sorcerer 6 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 t15 ff15 resist electricity 10 | CMB +1 CMD 14 | F+3 R+6 W+7 | Init+5 | Perc+3 SM+1 | Speed 20' | Elemental Ray 3/8 | Spells 1st 4/8; 2nd 3/6; 3rd 3/4 | Active conditions: none

When did Telos go from -11 to -22?

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Dark Menagerie | Module - Daughters of Fury | Campaign - Return of the Runelords

The haunt is happening all around you, in the area of the circle. Everyone inside get's hit by the ghostly crusaders, I did one roll to determine the to hit, and damage.

The Concordance

NG Halfling Ranger 4 Init +6 Perception +11 AC 19, t 15, ff 15 hp 40/40 Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +4; +2 vs. fear,

Seward fires blindly at the apparitions not sure what else to do.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 5 | hp 40/43 | AC 19 T 9 FF 19 | CMD 15 | F +7 R +1 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init -1 | KnPla +6, KnRel +7, Perc +3, SensM +3 | channel 5/5 | daze touch 6/6 | Str surge 6/6 | clw wand 9/50 | cmw wand 4/5

knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

Pietro reacts with what amounts to an instinctive prayer to his god, Cayden. "WHAT THE BLAZES IS GOING ON HERE!?!" he shouts, clutching his tankard in one hand and his hooked bludgeon in the other.

channel positive healing waves of goodness, and niceness, and all that: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 2) = 5

Pietro backs off down the hall allowing others a chance to escape.

The Exchange

Male Halfling Air Elemental Sorcerer 6 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 t15 ff15 resist electricity 10 | CMB +1 CMD 14 | F+3 R+6 W+7 | Init+5 | Perc+3 SM+1 | Speed 20' | Elemental Ray 3/8 | Spells 1st 4/8; 2nd 3/6; 3rd 3/4 | Active conditions: none

Ouch. I think back to -17 now with Pietro's channel.

Telos drops to the ground momentarily, but blinks awake again at Pietro's healing wave.

Whoa...how does one fight this thing...

He gathers himself and backs out of the room and down the hall. If he can't harm the haunts, then the very least he can do is stay out of the way and manage himself.

[move] 20'
[move] Retrieve wand of Cure Light Wounds.


Prototype GM Tool CR-X

Roran does his best fighting off the incorporeal foes. "What do we do? Do we retreat?"

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Dark Menagerie | Module - Daughters of Fury | Campaign - Return of the Runelords

The battle continues to rage around you. One of the crusaders looks directly at Will, "There is no time to rest, soldier! Hurry, the orcs have gotten through our defences! You must fight!" More waves of orcs come rushing through the entrance to this chamber.
Haunt: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 151d8 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 2 + 3 = 6

Remember guys, this is a haunt. Will can tell you that you need to either a) destroy it using holy energy, or b) by calming the spirits with a diplomacy, religion or prof. soldier check.

Combat Tracker wrote:


Round 3

@ Seward -6 lethal
@ Telos -17 lethal

!Crusaders

@Will
@Pietro -6 lethal
@Roran

Everyone may act!

The Exchange

Male N Medium Human Bard 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 20, T 15, FF 15 | CMB +5 CMD 19 | F +6 R +12 W +7 | Init +6 | Perc +11 SM +12 | Speed 30ft | 1st:5/5 2nd:2/3 | Bardic Performance 6/14 | Active Conditions: Heroism

diplo: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28

Will addresses the spirits,” It was long ago, you must rest now...

The Exchange

Male Halfling Air Elemental Sorcerer 6 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 t15 ff15 resist electricity 10 | CMB +1 CMD 14 | F+3 R+6 W+7 | Init+5 | Perc+3 SM+1 | Speed 20' | Elemental Ray 3/8 | Spells 1st 4/8; 2nd 3/6; 3rd 3/4 | Active conditions: none

Telos creeps back up to the edge of the haunt, and then speaks into it.

There is nothing left to defend here...

[5' step] S
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25 I presume this is a standard action?

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Paladin of Iomedae 5 | HP 44/44 | AC 25 T 11 FF 24 | CMB +8, CMD 20 | F: +7, R: +6, W: +8 | Init: +2 | Perc: +6; SM: +10 | Speed 30ft (20 ft in armor) | Detect Evil: At Will | Smite Evil: 2/2 | Lay on Hands: 4/4 | Aura of Courage (10ft) | Active conditions:

religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

"Damn ghost" He then grabs his holy symbol and channels, to disrupt the haunt.

paladin channel: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 3) = 4

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Dark Menagerie | Module - Daughters of Fury | Campaign - Return of the Runelords

The paladin channels positive energy to weaken the crusaders energy, as it flows out of the skull. Will, trying one more time to use logic as his tool, with the help of Telos are able to break through to the warriors left to time to battle endlessly. The fighting stops, as the crusaders all lower their weapons and look in your direction. A sight to behold, as they all raise their weapons, and bow lightly. "Thank you friends. Find the remains of our general, and lay throw her ashes to the winds of time. A dark entity holds power over this place - but we have hope, which will quench all evil."

They disappear, leaving you alone in a large cathedral room, with a glowing skull.

Conditions wrote:


@Seward -6 lethal
@Telos -17 lethal
@Will
@Pietro -6 lethal
@Roran

Where to next?

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 5 | hp 40/43 | AC 19 T 9 FF 19 | CMD 15 | F +7 R +1 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init -1 | KnPla +6, KnRel +7, Perc +3, SensM +3 | channel 5/5 | daze touch 6/6 | Str surge 6/6 | clw wand 9/50 | cmw wand 4/5

"WELL! THAT WASN'T SO BAD NOW WAS IT!?" Pietro ruffles Telos's hair a bit (more).

channel positive healing vibes to mellow the party out a bit: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 1) = 5

Then he produces his wand, and with aid of the branch's command phrase--"HELL YEAH!", tends to the halfling's metaphysical wounds.

wand of cure light wounds v Telos: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
wand of cure light wounds v Telos: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

The Exchange

Male Halfling Air Elemental Sorcerer 6 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 t15 ff15 resist electricity 10 | CMB +1 CMD 14 | F+3 R+6 W+7 | Init+5 | Perc+3 SM+1 | Speed 20' | Elemental Ray 3/8 | Spells 1st 4/8; 2nd 3/6; 3rd 3/4 | Active conditions: none

Phew! Thanks big guy.

The halfling then approaches the glowing skull...

Cast detect magic.

The Concordance

NG Halfling Ranger 4 Init +6 Perception +11 AC 19, t 15, ff 15 hp 40/40 Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +4; +2 vs. fear,

Seward kicks the skull.

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Dark Menagerie | Module - Daughters of Fury | Campaign - Return of the Runelords

The team isn't able to find anything else of interest on the skull, other then it being an ancient focus for the haunt, as described in an earlier post.

You pick up the loot and decide to move on, heading the words of the crusaders.

DC 18 Local or Religion:
You believe that the crusaders were referring to that it is Shizuran tradition is to cremate the body on a pyre under the midday sun, then distribute the ashes to the deceased’s descendants. Similarly, Lastwall’s tradition is to cremate the entire body save the skull, which is etched with the name and dates of birth and death then placed in The Ossuaries of the Fallen in Vigil.

You hear the sound of slowly running water further ahead. A rectangular basin of clear, warm water fills most of this room, leaving only a five-foot walkway around the edge. The humid air rising from the pool keeps plants, including forms of moss and fungi, alive along the room’s walls and ceiling.

In the next room, a statue of a dwarven man strangling a snake stands in the northwest part of this irregularly shaped room. To the north, you see a passage way, and you all feel an powerful presence within. A familiar weight, something that you had hoped to avoid on your journey here. Could that thing from Thornkeep followed us all the way here?.

"ead sheets line portions of the stone walls, floor, and ceiling of this damp chamber; many more sheets lie on the floor, bent. Arcane runes are inscribed on the stone. Patches of fungal growth are fed by a slow trickle of water dripping into the room’s cracked ceiling.

A strong, female voice echoes through the hallways. "Who dares intrude into the lair of Blemia - descendant of Argrinyxia, ruler over all that shadows touch?" *sniff*sniff* "You are not orc, oh how I tire of eating that green flesh! And no humans have stepped foot in these mountains in centuries. Have you come to spoil me...?"

DC 15 Kn Local:
You know that Argrinyxia is the Shadow dragon who rules over Shadow Absalom on the Shadow Plane. Although, you have never heard of Blemia.

A nightmarishly slik, dark and umbral dragon steps out from the shadows and into your torch light. Maps are updated. What do you do?

The Exchange

Male N Medium Human Bard 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 20, T 15, FF 15 | CMB +5 CMD 19 | F +6 R +12 W +7 | Init +6 | Perc +11 SM +12 | Speed 30ft | 1st:5/5 2nd:2/3 | Bardic Performance 6/14 | Active Conditions: Heroism

Will can take 10 to get 19 on both knowledges

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 10 + 2 = 14

Will wonders if spoiling her involving being a tastier meal than an orc.

Will calls out to the dragon, " Hello, we're adventurers who are here exploring. We didn't realize this was your lair, and we certainly meant no offense against a descendent of Argrinyxia.

Diplomacy, if we make it that far:

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 10 + 2 = 31

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 5 | hp 40/43 | AC 19 T 9 FF 19 | CMD 15 | F +7 R +1 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init -1 | KnPla +6, KnRel +7, Perc +3, SensM +3 | channel 5/5 | daze touch 6/6 | Str surge 6/6 | clw wand 9/50 | cmw wand 4/5

knowledge (religion, because Pietro's just that random): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

{shrug}

GM Tealk wrote:

"ead sheets line portions of the stone walls, floor, and ceiling of this damp chamber; many more sheets lie on the floor, bent. Arcane runes are inscribed on the stone. Patches of fungal growth are fed by a slow trickle of water dripping into the room’s cracked ceiling.

A strong, female voice echoes through the hallways. "Who dares intrude into the lair of Blemia - descendant of Argrinyxia, ruler over all that shadows touch?" *sniff*sniff* "You are not orc, oh how I tire of eating that green flesh! And no humans have stepped foot in these mountains in centuries. Have you come to spoil me...?"

"WELL HOW SHOULD I KNOW? I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE USUAL EXPIRATION DATE IS FOR DRAGONS."

The Exchange

Male Halfling Air Elemental Sorcerer 6 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 t15 ff15 resist electricity 10 | CMB +1 CMD 14 | F+3 R+6 W+7 | Init+5 | Perc+3 SM+1 | Speed 20' | Elemental Ray 3/8 | Spells 1st 4/8; 2nd 3/6; 3rd 3/4 | Active conditions: none

Uh, yeah... halflings actually taste worse than orc. There's a lot of hair on the feet and head. Gets stuck in your teeth. Better hold out for something smoother and meatier.

Diplomacy, aid: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Dark Menagerie | Module - Daughters of Fury | Campaign - Return of the Runelords

The dragon sticks its tongue out in disgust as Telos mentions halflings. "Egghhh, halflings have too much meat on their bones, and too much spirit in their souls. I much prefere the taste of undead flesh."

She lets out a small rawr, bring small, yet it still chills you through to your cores. He steers her neck towards the bard, curiously. "Adventurers! Of course you stumble into my grand lair on accident! What other lairs have you visited? Tell me, ggrrrr, I grow so tired of this place."

You all see a stone coffin, with a large crack running through to the bottom of it, behind the dragon. Similar Minkai depictions can be found inscribed around it.

Good roll, from Will, you guys can now have another chance to convince the dragon. Please roll if you want to help in this conversation. :)

The Exchange

Male N Medium Human Bard 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 20, T 15, FF 15 | CMB +5 CMD 19 | F +6 R +12 W +7 | Init +6 | Perc +11 SM +12 | Speed 30ft | 1st:5/5 2nd:2/3 | Bardic Performance 6/14 | Active Conditions: Heroism

Will recalls a tale of a massive green spire which the pathfinder society, The pathfinder society sent me to explore this ruin in river kingdoms. I think it might be of some interest to you. I heard reports that the first level, which was cleared by another group of pathfinders, was full of magic that enhanced the shadows. Your owns magics may be enhanced, since Argrinyxia is their source and its tied to darkness. Personally I explored the cellars, and I did indeed find undead that you’d find most palatable. I’ve seen no undead here, and with your wings, getting to there and finding a massive lair to explore would be a simple matter.

Wills performance is oratory, so telling stories is his fortay. Take 10 on that for a 22

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 5 | hp 40/43 | AC 19 T 9 FF 19 | CMD 15 | F +7 R +1 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init -1 | KnPla +6, KnRel +7, Perc +3, SensM +3 | channel 5/5 | daze touch 6/6 | Str surge 6/6 | clw wand 9/50 | cmw wand 4/5

"Well, there was this one lair I went to full of stinking troglodytes out on the Cairnlands around Absalom. OH! HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO THORNKEEP? IT'S A BIG OLD LAIR, CONVENIENTLY LOCATED RIGHT UNDER THE TOWN NEAR THE TAVERN!"

diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

The Exchange

Male Halfling Air Elemental Sorcerer 6 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 t15 ff15 resist electricity 10 | CMB +1 CMD 14 | F+3 R+6 W+7 | Init+5 | Perc+3 SM+1 | Speed 20' | Elemental Ray 3/8 | Spells 1st 4/8; 2nd 3/6; 3rd 3/4 | Active conditions: none

diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

Yeah, Thornkeep is not a trivial dungeon! It's like a stinking onion with all of its layers and we keep finding more. (Actually we're not done with it yet). Last time we were there, we were attacked by a cult. I'm guessing you could have dispatched the whole lot of them in no time at all. They gave us a bit of trouble.

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Dark Menagerie | Module - Daughters of Fury | Campaign - Return of the Runelords

As you begin talking, her ears perk up as they would on a small dog, and you can tell she is listening intently. She lies down, on the cold stone, and folds her wings in - making herself comfortable, seeing that you are not aggressive towards her. Although she made herself even smaller than she was before, you can still feel a powerful presence in the room. She laughs, "Troglodytes? Rawwwwhhhh, such dirty creatures!"

However, she licks her lips at Will, and for a second you can mistake your intentions. "There are no undead here, and a lair with more shadows would definitely suit me better as a domain."

"Thornkeep, you say. I like the sound of this place. What why should I believe you - adventurers?"

Okay, last roll. How will you convince this *fierce* dragon to leave her lair? No taking 10 please.

The Exchange

Male N Medium Human Bard 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 20, T 15, FF 15 | CMB +5 CMD 19 | F +6 R +12 W +7 | Init +6 | Perc +11 SM +12 | Speed 30ft | 1st:5/5 2nd:2/3 | Bardic Performance 6/14 | Active Conditions: Heroism

I figured that my perform:oratory wasn't mechanical, since the rest of the party hadn't had a chance to roll, and I'd already used diplomacy. Won't take 10 on this diplomacy. I was describing Emerald Spire rather than Thornkeep, but I would clue off whatever Blemia picked up on, rather than persisting.

Will continues, " Indeed more shadows and undead to eat. You're correct that we should fear a descendent of the great Argrinyxia, and may be willing to spin tales to you, o' stupendous Blemia, but that is not what we're doing. We're explorers and if shadows and undead are what you wish, the locations we described would probably suite you better, and we're telling you the truth. "

diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 10 + 2 = 18 Ok I think I'll use my reroll on that, 4 star GM
diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 10 + 2 + 4 = 35 That is more like it!

The Exchange

Male Halfling Air Elemental Sorcerer 6 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 t15 ff15 resist electricity 10 | CMB +1 CMD 14 | F+3 R+6 W+7 | Init+5 | Perc+3 SM+1 | Speed 20' | Elemental Ray 3/8 | Spells 1st 4/8; 2nd 3/6; 3rd 3/4 | Active conditions: none

diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

Yeah, like I said, we haven't even found the end of Thornkeep. I think it could keep you busy for quite some time. This place seems a bit small for a dragon of your grandeur.

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Dark Menagerie | Module - Daughters of Fury | Campaign - Return of the Runelords

"RAWRRR! This is wonderful news! A bigger lair...Thornkeep. Sounds like you will have to take me there, and show me! You...you will become my personal guard...yes, I like the sound of that...Shadow Guard. What say you, adventurers. I will pay you well. I will let you adventure to your hearts content, and in return, you will serve me and tell me stories of lairs you liberate."

To your surprise, the dragon no longer seems aggressive towards you. Rather, she is keen on using you to get out of this ancient dwarven temple.

She lets you do what you need to do, to fulfil your task here. "I will wait for you outside. It has been long time since I could stretch my wings. We shall traven throughout the cover of nightfall."

You turn your attention towards the stone Minkai coffin in the middle of this large space. It is going to take a DC 12 strength check to slide open.

Inside, you see the remains of a Minkai warrior, still wearing her golden jewelled armour. She is grasping a beautifully crafted blade - it glows with a bright almost celestial light. You can identify this to be a +1 holy katana.

Congratulations, we have reached the end of the dungeon. You have found the holy weapon, and the body of the Minkai general. What do you do to the body, before you start heading back to the venture captain?

The Exchange

Male N Medium Human Bard 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 20, T 15, FF 15 | CMB +5 CMD 19 | F +6 R +12 W +7 | Init +6 | Perc +11 SM +12 | Speed 30ft | 1st:5/5 2nd:2/3 | Bardic Performance 6/14 | Active Conditions: Heroism

several of us could do coffin alone, if no one else does Will can take 10 for a 12

Will tries to remember the rites for the Minkai general and perform them before heading back.

I’ll use loremaster and a standard action to take 20 for a 29 on knowledge religion

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Dark Menagerie | Module - Daughters of Fury | Campaign - Return of the Runelords

Will recognises that it is Shizuran tradition is to cremate the body on a pyre under the midday sun, then distribute the ashes to the deceased’s descendants. Similarly, Lastwall’s tradition is to cremate the entire body save the skull, which is etched with the name and dates of birth and death then placed in The Ossuaries of the Fallen in Vigil.

You also think that returning one of their sacred weapons to those still of faith, is a good way of passing down the traditions among the Minkai people.

The Exchange

Male Halfling Air Elemental Sorcerer 6 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 t15 ff15 resist electricity 10 | CMB +1 CMD 14 | F+3 R+6 W+7 | Init+5 | Perc+3 SM+1 | Speed 20' | Elemental Ray 3/8 | Spells 1st 4/8; 2nd 3/6; 3rd 3/4 | Active conditions: none

So.... etching that skull. NOT IT. I mean I'm a terrible artist anyway. Also, skulls, eww.

The halfling bows out of all medical tasks, but agrees to return the weapon to the Minkai people.

Normally we keep the "good stuff" to ourselves, but I don't believe any of us are katana-wielding folk.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 5 | hp 40/43 | AC 19 T 9 FF 19 | CMD 15 | F +7 R +1 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init -1 | KnPla +6, KnRel +7, Perc +3, SensM +3 | channel 5/5 | daze touch 6/6 | Str surge 6/6 | clw wand 9/50 | cmw wand 4/5
Telos Downshot wrote:
The halfling bows out of all medical tasks, but agrees to return the weapon to the Minkai people.

One year later at Thornkeep.

"WE'RE BACK!!"

The Exchange

Male Halfling Air Elemental Sorcerer 6 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 t15 ff15 resist electricity 10 | CMB +1 CMD 14 | F+3 R+6 W+7 | Init+5 | Perc+3 SM+1 | Speed 20' | Elemental Ray 3/8 | Spells 1st 4/8; 2nd 3/6; 3rd 3/4 | Active conditions: none

lol, by proxy, not necessarily by making the trip :P

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Dark Menagerie | Module - Daughters of Fury | Campaign - Return of the Runelords

You all make the appropriate preparations to transport the body, and the holy relic, back to Lastwall. Carefully, you close the lid of the coffin and make your way outside, where Blemia is waiting patiently for you.

Under the cover of darkness, seeming sped up by the dragon's magic - you traven back to where you started your mission. When you return to Uscalin Lodge, Venture Captain Besnik is excited to hear about your mission. "Congratulations! I knew you would triumph! Just goes to show I picked the right Pathfinders to seek out adventure while unknown dangers lurked. Go and rest while I put the report together for the Ten. Surely this addition to the Chronicles will put Uscalin on the map!"

He looks at the dragon, raising an eyebrow, "Is that...a dragon?" He doesn't draw his weapon, rather lets you explain the situation.

Congratulations! You have concluded From the Tome of Righteous Repose adventure. We will continue, after a brief interlude, Floor 5 of Thornkeep!

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 5 | hp 40/43 | AC 19 T 9 FF 19 | CMD 15 | F +7 R +1 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init -1 | KnPla +6, KnRel +7, Perc +3, SensM +3 | channel 5/5 | daze touch 6/6 | Str surge 6/6 | clw wand 9/50 | cmw wand 4/5
Telos Downshot wrote:
lol, by proxy, not necessarily by making the trip :P

But sake....

The Exchange

Male N Medium Human Bard 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 20, T 15, FF 15 | CMB +5 CMD 19 | F +6 R +12 W +7 | Init +6 | Perc +11 SM +12 | Speed 30ft | 1st:5/5 2nd:2/3 | Bardic Performance 6/14 | Active Conditions: Heroism

Will replies, “ Ah yes, well, explore, report, cooperate... we made a new friend of the society. He prefers to eat undead as opposed to the living, so we sort of thought if we could supply him a steady source of undead from Thornkeep we could satiate him for now... perhaps he’ll grow bored of us and we can point him towards Geb if there aren’t enough undead in Thornkeep.

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Dark Menagerie | Module - Daughters of Fury | Campaign - Return of the Runelords

Besnik smiles, and nods, "I see. What an interesting group, to be honest, I don't see operatives who actually...well, never mind." He goes to pat the dragon, but backs off quickly as the room darkens and it snaps back at him. "Thank you again for your efforts. I am sure Master Shaine is wondering where you are, being gone for so long. Take some time off, and head back to Thornkeep. Find that dragon a home - away from Absalom...and here. I am sure he has a new task for you."

-------------

After some travel, which you are at this point very attuned to, you make it back to the settlement of Thornkeep. You arrive in the middle of the day, so the hustle and bustle isn't all unfamiliar to most, except for Will who's stepping inside this town for the first time. Is this right?

You start heading to your spot of lodging - the lovely Greenforest Inn, to settle in and enjoy the day before beginning to think about what terrors reside under your feet. A few movements in, you see a small group of people, running towards you and away from something. They look terrified, and slightly disturbed. Behind them, you see dust beginning to settle in the air in the middle of the square. You hurry over.

Some blasts of arcane magic, and some strange haunting neighing - a few seconds as you reach the town square you are met with a flash of bright light! As you rub your eyes, a small ball of golden hair skids in your direction. The gnome jumps up to his feat, slowly, and with dust on his face smiles at the group. "Oh, you're back? Right - of course you are. You guys, have missed a lot..." Losli, the gnome, turns around swiftly, and begins chanting a spell.

The small gnome takes a deep breath, and his belly grows. He exhales, which sounds more like a balloon deflating. A gust of wind, picks up the dust and carries it high into the air - revealing your Venture Captain Kreighton Shaine and the leader of the Goldenfire Order Iliara Starcloak engaged in combat with a...unicorn?

Alrighty, let's have some real fun, shall we? Welcome back to Thornkeep!

The Exchange

Male Halfling Air Elemental Sorcerer 6 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 t15 ff15 resist electricity 10 | CMB +1 CMD 14 | F+3 R+6 W+7 | Init+5 | Perc+3 SM+1 | Speed 20' | Elemental Ray 3/8 | Spells 1st 4/8; 2nd 3/6; 3rd 3/4 | Active conditions: none

We got 99 problems at Thornkeep (roughly twenty per floor) and this dragon isn't one of them. Don't worry, we'll manage.

-------------

The halfling looks in bemused curiosity at the scene going on in town.

Kreighton... how's it going? Is this a bad time? We could give you a report on our interlude mission, but I'm guessing you'd tell us to hold our horns... I mean horses. Whatever.

He then looks over at Losli. Yeah, what did we miss?

The Concordance

NG Halfling Ranger 4 Init +6 Perception +11 AC 19, t 15, ff 15 hp 40/40 Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +4; +2 vs. fear,

Seward is getting a little limber in his furry feet.

What's with the unicorn? He asks almost non-chalantly. The society sent him on this suicidal mission so he felt no need to get involved when one of the leaders found themselves in a compromised position with a magical beast.

Instead he pulled out his water skin, sipped slowly, and re-applied warpaint.

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Dark Menagerie | Module - Daughters of Fury | Campaign - Return of the Runelords

The team of pathfinders, tired from their long journey back to the town of Thornkeep, wait patiently as their superiors do battle with the magical beast.

The unicorn rears high into the air, arching it's back. It comes back down onto Iliara - you can see the strength in it's core, as the hooves create small craters in the ground. The sorcerer uses her dexterity to avoid the attack, but only barely - stumbling backwards from the force of the strike. Her long streaks of golden hair dirtied from the fight - she seems tired.

Behind her, your mentor and Venture Captain Kreighton Shaine smiles as he notices you arrive. "Not a bad time at all! I guess I will need to finish this quickly then..." You watch as he weaves an impressive arc of arcane symbols across the air, and whispers in old elvish. Three beautiful beams of light come bursting through the sky, creating silver chains around the beast's strong body. The unicorn pulls and tugs agasint these chains of light, but the strong spell is enough to keep the beast held. The creature, eventually gives in to it's new cage, giving the rest of the Thornkeep guard enough time to secure the beast with some strong ropes.

The battle comes to an end, and eventually the people being to dissipate. The guards start taking the beast away.

The small gnome, takes a few deep breaths, "Well you see, Master Downshot - Thornkeep has become a much more exciting place since your last visit! That unicorn took all of us by surprise, to be honest. We've captured a whole menagerie of strange and beautiful creatures - all seemingly having escape from the dungeon..."

He is interrupted by the beautiful Iliara who pats him on his head, "Now now, Losli, let's talk about this somewhere more quiet. If you don't mind adventurer's, we have all had a long day - how about we retire to my tower for tonight. We can explain the situation to you there, and you can decide whether or not you wish to continue in your pursuit of the unknown." She leads you away from the main square of the town, and back to her private quarters. A few rooms have been set out for you to use - much better than those offered at the local tavern.

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Dark Menagerie | Module - Daughters of Fury | Campaign - Return of the Runelords

After you get settled in, the group of you meet up with your superiors for a short debrief. Your Venture Captain, looking relieved now that you are here to step in for him, welcomes you home. "Welcome back, friends. I have spoken with Besnik, and he informs me that you have dome a splendid job securing some ancient Minkai relics for him. He also mentioned something about a dragon...?" He looks at you curiously, but then dismisses the question, "Hah! As the five of you wouldn't be able to take care of a dragon...what we have here in Thornkeep is much more dangerous."

He smiles at the newcomer. "And you must be Will! I have heard a lot about your skills with book. Welcome on board, I am sure this bunch could use some more brains with their brawn! Hah!"

"Now back to business." He continues, "Over the past few weeks, we have been defending the town from... incursions from below. Magical beasts, escaping from their confines down within the Azlanti's dungeons. I suspect The Visitant, who got away from you within the Enigma Vaults, has been playing a cruel game with us. His expression turns sour very quickly.

"In the deepest level of the Halls Under the Hill, the dread wizard Nhur Athemon kept an entire zoo of powerful and strange creatures imprisoned in cages of his own design—chambers enchanted to mirror the natural environs from which he had stolen his pets. When the wizard died thousands of years ago, his enchanted menagerie entered a state of deep, magical stasis that protected both the rooms and the creatures therein from aging and the elements. I believe the spell keeping these monsters caged has finally collapsed."

Iliara who has been patiently listening, sitting behind her desk stands. You see she is exhausted, and her age, although still completely unguessable, is showing. "Will you help this town, once again, Pathfinder? Baron Blackshied is growing tired - no one expected that we would see anything come out of those dungeons. We cannot spend any more men for this cause - we need your expertise with the dungeon. You will be compensated in full."

Shaine adds one more thing, before you can make your final decision. "And while you're at it, try to determine the cause of what made those magical barriers to collapse. This might be the key to solving our problems within the Emerald Spire."

Alright team, ask away if you have any questions - this is the time. Maps are updated, your mini's are there! Please let me know how you are preparing, what spell you are casing. We will begin once the majority of you have tee'd in.

The Exchange

Male N Medium Human Bard 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 20, T 15, FF 15 | CMB +5 CMD 19 | F +6 R +12 W +7 | Init +6 | Perc +11 SM +12 | Speed 30ft | 1st:5/5 2nd:2/3 | Bardic Performance 6/14 | Active Conditions: Heroism

As they descend into the zoo of horrors, Will uses magic to make himself feel more heroic. He pulls his bow and waits to see what comes at them.

Heroism

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Paladin of Iomedae 5 | HP 44/44 | AC 25 T 11 FF 24 | CMB +8, CMD 20 | F: +7, R: +6, W: +8 | Init: +2 | Perc: +6; SM: +10 | Speed 30ft (20 ft in armor) | Detect Evil: At Will | Smite Evil: 2/2 | Lay on Hands: 4/4 | Aura of Courage (10ft) | Active conditions:

Roran nods as he understands the current mission. "We should purchase another scroll of daylight in case we run into the Visitant again. He likes to plunge the area in darkness."

"The beasts coming out of the dungeons. Do any of them been able to communicate anything to you all?"

Being magical, there is a chance

Willing to burn some prestige to get the scroll of daylight

The Exchange

Male N Medium Human Bard 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 20, T 15, FF 15 | CMB +5 CMD 19 | F +6 R +12 W +7 | Init +6 | Perc +11 SM +12 | Speed 30ft | 1st:5/5 2nd:2/3 | Bardic Performance 6/14 | Active Conditions: Heroism

Daylight is a useless scroll, since when you want it, you usually can’t read scrolls

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Dark Menagerie | Module - Daughters of Fury | Campaign - Return of the Runelords

You can get it in an oil form, for 750gp!

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Paladin of Iomedae 5 | HP 44/44 | AC 25 T 11 FF 24 | CMB +8, CMD 20 | F: +7, R: +6, W: +8 | Init: +2 | Perc: +6; SM: +10 | Speed 30ft (20 ft in armor) | Detect Evil: At Will | Smite Evil: 2/2 | Lay on Hands: 4/4 | Aura of Courage (10ft) | Active conditions:

Very well, pick it up as an oil. Will spend the 2 PP for it.

Dark Archive

Thonrkeep - Dark Menagerie | Module - Daughters of Fury | Campaign - Return of the Runelords

Alrighty then. The rest of you can post what you do for prep as we begin!

You make your way back down into the lower levels of the dungeons. Much of the place is as you left it - yet you swear that creatures have been moving between floors quite regularly. Blemia the young shadow dragon follow you, asking many questions are you go along. "So, where shall I make my stay? It must be somewhere dark and full of shadows!" She is excited, and visibly happy to be down here in the dark. She tends to lead the way, turning her head every so often to make sure she is going the right way.

Finally down in the Emigma Vaults, the entire place is empty and lonely. You double check the main chapel, to make sure the creature isn't there - you see no sign of disturbance. You shiver, as you remember the vibrations in the air, and are thankful that it is no longer here.

Making your way into the corridors, you start your descent further into the unknown.

As soon as the group enter this room, you observe a series of stairs winds west and east down to the floor of this bare stone room. A short railing permits a view of the room from the staircase’s landing. A scuffed circle of blue-white chalk marked on the floor of the northern section of the room is filled with various sigils and runes. Four-foot-tall torch holders adorn the corners of the room, and a wide, closed stone doors take up half of the western walls.

Here you feel the faint vibrations in the air, which hang, as if the creature you fought so many months ago was once here. Suddenly, an unseen bell emits a single, deep toll, which would have once signaled the end of the dungeon’s longstanding stasis effect and bringing its denizens and illusions back to life. Or it would have, if not for it being triggered earlier...

Floating silently in the centre of this chamber is the flickering grey image of a metal helmet.

If you detect magic on the cirle, and in the room...

Kn Arcana, DC 25:
You can determine the circle’s original use. You believe it was once host to a powerful teleportat effect, which would bring creatures into this sanctum.The chalk summoning circle on the f loor is the only remnant of this feature, and has long deteriorated beyond use in the years since this dungeon’s abandonment.

Kn Arcana, DC 30:
You think you are able to reconstruct this magic circle. This will allow you to use this as a destination point, as if it were "very familiar" per the spell effect.

To idenfity the helmet...

Kn Arcana, DC 17:
This seems to be a tiny, animated object. This construch seems to have a very powerful enchantment on it - perhaps enchanted by the Alant master himself. Obviously a single part of an entire suit of armor, the helmet seems harmless at a distance.

What do you do? Let me know if you proceed into the next hallway.

1,151 to 1,200 of 1,323 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Tealk’s - Core - Thornkeep Series All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.