DMDM's Fingerprints of the Fiend

Game Master Douglas Muir 406


551 to 600 of 641 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>

Male Human Vigilante 6 I HP 34/46 I AC 23(24) [T 12 FF 21] I CMD 22+ I F +5 R +8 W +6 I Init +2 I Percep +9 I Sense Motive +13 I

Str check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

Spurred on by worry about his team-mate and chagrin at having been the cause of it, Morvius finds hitherto unknown reserves of strength.

"Come on, Cal! I don't want to have to report you to Sir Joseph for abandoning the cause, after all. That would put a serious crimp in our relationship."

Acrobatics check for good measure: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Silver Crusade

Per: +5 | Init +4 |Twin Fists!: +8/d8+7 |F:+7 R:+5 W: +9| |DF +3 BS +2 Warpriest 6 AC 21 HP 38/54| Blessings: 2/6| F: 2/6| 1st: 1/5 (1/2) 2nd: 1/4 (1/2) |

Y'know, I was gonna try and help here, but it appears you've got this well in hand! =)

Attero began weighing options of how to apply his own gauntleted fist to assisting in the retrieval of their wayward member, but the quick-whipped Zaan seem to have things well in hand.


Human Slayer (Cleaner) 6 | HP 33/46 | AC 20 t 14 ff 16 | CMD 22 | F+7 R+9 W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +9 Know(Dungeon, Local, Geog) +4 SenseMot +6

Callinda begins to curse Morvius' uncharacteristic clumsiness when the latter's whip appears just inches in front of her with his call to grab it. He's serious, isn't he?! flashes through her mind even as she grabs the whip and pushes off the ground in hopes of reducing the jolt as it pulls her after the cart.

acrobatics?: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18


Okay, I'll give you -1d3 on the damage for that check.

D6 of damage for falling out of the cart: 1d6 ⇒ 4 and another d6 of damage for being dragged back into the cart 1d6 - 1d3 ⇒ (6) - (2) = 4 for a total of 8 points of damage.

As you come out of "the Shaker", both Attero and Morvius are standing up, while Callinda is being half pulled, half crawling into the back. Next up ahead (the halfling has said) is "the First Bridge"...


Human Slayer (Cleaner) 6 | HP 33/46 | AC 20 t 14 ff 16 | CMD 22 | F+7 R+9 W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +9 Know(Dungeon, Local, Geog) +4 SenseMot +6

"I like it better when we plan these stunts in advance," Cal observes as she falls into the cart. "How much time did we lose?"


Meanwhile:

Twang

Twang

They're still shooting at you.

1d20 ⇒ 11
1d20 ⇒ 5

But not very accurately.


Okay, so nobody is making any preparations before going over the bridge. Good, good. Well then...

1d20 ⇒ 17 Heeyyy looks like somebody made their very last Concentration check!


So you come around a gentle curve. Ahead there's a bridge. It's not that long, but it bridges a couple of cracks that look... well, pretty deep. The trickle of water turns into a little spray that disappears down into darkness.

Across the track, directly in front of you, is a shimmering golden plane, slightly translucent. At your current speed, your cart will pass through it in one round.


Let's see. Nobody has Spellcraft or Knowledge [Arcana], right? So, no idea what this is. And nobody has Dispel Magic. I'm not hearing anyone say "let's slow the cart down" or "let's tie ourselves together for safety" or anything like that. So, that mysterious translucent shimmering plane... y'all run right into it, as you are! Woo!

The good news is, it's insubstantial and you pass through it without hindrance.

The less good news: Fortitude saves, please.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Vigilante 6 I HP 34/46 I AC 23(24) [T 12 FF 21] I CMD 22+ I F +5 R +8 W +6 I Init +2 I Percep +9 I Sense Motive +13 I

Fortitude save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Fearlessly speeding through challenges he doesn't really understand is just another Toilday in Morvius' world. So far, he hasn't died; although he's come close a few times.

This might be another of those times.

Silver Crusade

Per: +5 | Init +4 |Twin Fists!: +8/d8+7 |F:+7 R:+5 W: +9| |DF +3 BS +2 Warpriest 6 AC 21 HP 38/54| Blessings: 2/6| F: 2/6| 1st: 1/5 (1/2) 2nd: 1/4 (1/2) |

Attero saw little he could do. He had forged himself into a weapon to toe the battle line and take the blows of anger so the others behind him might have a softer time of it.

That they were running headlong into a FIELD OF MAGIC bothered him but little. It would kill him or it would not, and things have a hard time killing him.

From habit, he thinks of the most vulnerable around him, and, all he can do, he does. He turns and touches Janeesa on the shoulder. "No man died in His service that died in vain," he intones as the field rushes inevitably closer.
Now, even if he did not make it, he has served some purpose.

Casting Guidance on Janeesa.

Fort save!: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

"Despair is a sign of weakness," he says on the other side.


Female Human 30/30 HP; AC 18/13/16; Init +5; Fort +5, Refl +3, Will +8; Per +3

Fort: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8 pfk


Waiting on Callinda. -- Huh, you guys are not rolling so great on saves in this bit.


Human Slayer (Cleaner) 6 | HP 33/46 | AC 20 t 14 ff 16 | CMD 22 | F+7 R+9 W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +9 Know(Dungeon, Local, Geog) +4 SenseMot +6

fort: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Still lying on the floor of the cart like a landed fish, planning to catch her breath as they close the distance, Callinda doesn't see the approaching curtain, but sees her comrades' reactions and braces herself for -- what?


Saves for the halfling:

1d20 ⇒ 20

He's completely fine. Grinceroy:

1d20 ⇒ 7

hm, less good.


HUURRRKK

The cart abruptly slews around, goes into a sudden disorienting spin , then flips upside down! You're upside down!


Ha no not actually. That wall was some sort of spell of nausea and disorientation.

Made save: no effect.


Failed save, were seated doing nothing: you are nauseated for one round. It's a revolting experience, but does no lasting harm.

Failed save, sitting but were doing something (Grinceroy, he was steering): lose a a round. SKEEEE sparks fly from the rails as Grinceroy, panicking, grabs the steering lever and pulls up, slowing your speed.

Failed save, was standing up: Well, only Brother D. and Morvius were standing up. Brother D. made his save. Morvius... I'm afraid you need to roll a Reflex save.


Male Human Vigilante 6 I HP 34/46 I AC 23(24) [T 12 FF 21] I CMD 22+ I F +5 R +8 W +6 I Init +2 I Percep +9 I Sense Motive +13 I

Reflex save: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

When in doubt, trust what is real. Morvius closes his eyes as the cart appears to flip over, and grabs onto the side. OK. Down still appears to be down. Gravity doesn't lie.


Female Human 30/30 HP; AC 18/13/16; Init +5; Fort +5, Refl +3, Will +8; Per +3

"I think I just threw up in my mouth a little."


Worth a try.

From under the seat, the halfling hisses at Grinceroy. "Fool! Pull yourself together! If we don't catch them before we reach the bottom, we'll have to face the Geon!"

Coughing and gagging, Grinceroy grabs the steering lever again.

Halfing's Aid Another, without any bonuses because he's distracted snapping at Grinceroy: 1d20 ⇒ 13 still works

Ride check: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 4 + 2 = 18 you're gathering speed again!

"There's a long sloping curve coming up," the halfling mutters. "We should be able to get some shots at them, anyway..."


Human Slayer (Cleaner) 6 | HP 33/46 | AC 20 t 14 ff 16 | CMD 22 | F+7 R+9 W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +9 Know(Dungeon, Local, Geog) +4 SenseMot +6

What was the DC on that Fort save? I figure my 17 will be close, but not sure in which direction.


Callinda Swan wrote:
What was the DC on that Fort save? I figure my 17 will be close, but not sure in which direction.

As it happens, it just exactly made it.


Human Slayer (Cleaner) 6 | HP 33/46 | AC 20 t 14 ff 16 | CMD 22 | F+7 R+9 W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +9 Know(Dungeon, Local, Geog) +4 SenseMot +6

well, that's a nice change from my prior run.

halfling wrote:
"We should be able to get some shots at them, anyway..."

Taking a hint, Callinda wrestles her way back onto her feet and grabs her bow from the bottom of the cart, planning to take a shot at the slavers' cart when they come back into view.


Male Human Vigilante 6 I HP 34/46 I AC 23(24) [T 12 FF 21] I CMD 22+ I F +5 R +8 W +6 I Init +2 I Percep +9 I Sense Motive +13 I

Morvius waits for his perceptions to stop spinning before retrieving a flask of alchemist's fire from his belt.

Silver Crusade

Per: +5 | Init +4 |Twin Fists!: +8/d8+7 |F:+7 R:+5 W: +9| |DF +3 BS +2 Warpriest 6 AC 21 HP 38/54| Blessings: 2/6| F: 2/6| 1st: 1/5 (1/2) 2nd: 1/4 (1/2) |

Attero stoically stands his watch, thirsting to close with the enemy.


Oh my goodness, that turned into an entire week. Sorry, team. We're back.


Okay so! PEEW PEEW PEEW I mean swisssh

1d20 ⇒ 16 umm yes that hits! pTWANG thunk 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 points of damage on Brother D!

1d20 ⇒ 8 nothin' but air.


However! The sorceeress stands up and is casting at the good Brother.

1d20 ⇒ 18 concentration check is made!


However! The halfling has been waiting for exactly this!

1d20 ⇒ 9
1d20 ⇒ 7

The halfling wins initiative!

He pops out from under the seat. He has something in his hand... is that a loincloth?


whipwhipwhip whizzz! whizz!

The halfling has assembled a makeshift sling out of a loincloth plus one of the bolts he raided from the shed.

1d20 ⇒ 9
1d20 ⇒ 14 -- even with the minus for an improvised weapon, that hits.

The heavy bolt flies through the air and /whunk/ hits her solidly. [rolling offscreen]. The sorceress gives a shriek of pain and drops down into her cart.


The halfling sinks back down, reloading. "She has spells that can throw you around. This is probably not a good place to be hit by one." He gestures at Brother D. "Maybe one of you could hold on to him, just in case?"

Also, Callinda gets a shot, though with the minus for bumpy motion etc.


Human Slayer (Cleaner) 6 | HP 33/46 | AC 20 t 14 ff 16 | CMD 22 | F+7 R+9 W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +9 Know(Dungeon, Local, Geog) +4 SenseMot +6

Callinda takes aim at the slaver driving the cart ahead, hoping to slow their quarry down, and looses an arrow.

move action: studied target, +2
shortbow attack, studied, slaver: 1d20 + 9 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 9 + 2 + 1 = 20for: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7 minus any range/bumping penalties


Human Slayer (Cleaner) 6 | HP 33/46 | AC 20 t 14 ff 16 | CMD 22 | F+7 R+9 W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +9 Know(Dungeon, Local, Geog) +4 SenseMot +6

Forgot to add studied target and freedom fighter to that damage roll, so would be 10hp of damage if a hit

Silver Crusade

Per: +5 | Init +4 |Twin Fists!: +8/d8+7 |F:+7 R:+5 W: +9| |DF +3 BS +2 Warpriest 6 AC 21 HP 38/54| Blessings: 2/6| F: 2/6| 1st: 1/5 (1/2) 2nd: 1/4 (1/2) |

Brother Attero stands stoically, heeding not the gnat-bite they threw at him...and wondering if this ride will ever end.

It felt like he had been holding that lantern for a month.

;-)


Callinda, it's -2 on attack rolls (for the bumpy ride) but that hit anyway! Ouch! One minion is injured.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human 30/30 HP; AC 18/13/16; Init +5; Fort +5, Refl +3, Will +8; Per +3
Brother Attero Dominatus wrote:

It felt like he had been holding that lantern for a month.

Similarly, Janeesa's bum was starting to feel like she'd been sitting on it for the length of a cross-country train trip, rather than just a few seconds. What an odd set of physics this cavern has.


Time and space are strange down here, sure enough!

Okay, so the long straightaway will continue for another round. The enemy team has gone into a huddle (+2 to AC and 20% miss chance), not shooting at you this round, but possibly preparing something. Anyone want to take a shot, or anything, or just make Ride rolls?

[/ooc](Speaking of which, okay, if Grinceroy isn't coming back then let's just say that whoever posts first can roll for him. He had a +4 Dex, so just roll and add 4, or 8 if the halfling makes his Aid Another check. Which he'll do on anything but a 1 if he's not making an attack or distracted.[/ooc]

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Per: +5 | Init +4 |Twin Fists!: +8/d8+7 |F:+7 R:+5 W: +9| |DF +3 BS +2 Warpriest 6 AC 21 HP 38/54| Blessings: 2/6| F: 2/6| 1st: 1/5 (1/2) 2nd: 1/4 (1/2) |

And suddenly, Grinceroy was Cool!: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20


Human Slayer (Cleaner) 6 | HP 33/46 | AC 20 t 14 ff 16 | CMD 22 | F+7 R+9 W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +9 Know(Dungeon, Local, Geog) +4 SenseMot +6

"They're about to try something -- unless anybody has a way to make it hard for them, hold on tight!" Callinda reports down to the folks picking themselves up off the floor of the cart.

For her part, she launches another few arrows at the driver of the slavers' vehicle:

shortbow attack, studied, slaver, bumpy: 1d20 + 9 + 2 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (9) + 9 + 2 + 1 - 2 = 19for: 1d6 + 4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 2 + 1 = 10
shortbow attack, studied, slaver, bumpy: 1d20 + 4 + 2 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (14) + 4 + 2 + 1 - 2 = 19for: 1d6 + 4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 2 + 1 = 10
uh, I think the random number generator is stuck?


Human Slayer (Cleaner) 6 | HP 33/46 | AC 20 t 14 ff 16 | CMD 22 | F+7 R+9 W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +9 Know(Dungeon, Local, Geog) +4 SenseMot +6

forgot miss chance:
shot 1 misses on 1-20: 1d100 ⇒ 67
shot 2 misses on 1-20: 1d100 ⇒ 89

Silver Crusade

Per: +5 | Init +4 |Twin Fists!: +8/d8+7 |F:+7 R:+5 W: +9| |DF +3 BS +2 Warpriest 6 AC 21 HP 38/54| Blessings: 2/6| F: 2/6| 1st: 1/5 (1/2) 2nd: 1/4 (1/2) |

I don't understand why there is a miss chance. The only way you could miss is by hitting someone else.


Human Slayer (Cleaner) 6 | HP 33/46 | AC 20 t 14 ff 16 | CMD 22 | F+7 R+9 W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +9 Know(Dungeon, Local, Geog) +4 SenseMot +6

ha, true -- call it suppressing fire, just shoot into the huddle and not spend too much effort picking a target?


It's bouncing off the side of the enemy cart!

You're plummeting down a passage in a mining cart on rickety, bouncy track built by slaves and partially undermined by flowing water, trying to shoot arrows at people inside another such cart below and ahead of you as you whip round turns. It's sort of like trying to paintball someone from a roller coaster. 20% miss chance seems kinda low actually.


Brother Attero Dominatus wrote:
[dice=And suddenly, Grinceroy was Cool!]d20+8

You're gaining ground! Of course, here comes a sharp turn...

"She'll slow down here," says the halfling -- he has to yell, now, over the rattling of the tracks -- "because it's frightening. Everyone does. Keep the handle up, don't brake. Lean into the curve, and we can catch them on the straightaway after the bridge."


Actually, as you're closing in on it, that curve does look pretty frightening. It's quite sharp, and you're going pretty fast. And, um, the wall just disappears along there -- outside the curve, there's nothing but a steep slope into a black void.

If you trust the halfling, keep the handle up and lean in (a simple DC 8 Dex check unless you have Acrobatics, in which case it's auto-succeed). If you don't trust the halfling, this might be a good time to speak up.


Human Slayer (Cleaner) 6 | HP 33/46 | AC 20 t 14 ff 16 | CMD 22 | F+7 R+9 W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +9 Know(Dungeon, Local, Geog) +4 SenseMot +6

did those last shots hit?

Finally feeling like she's getting her sea legs on this contraption Acrobatics +10, Callinda plants a hip against the side of the cart, leaning into the turn and firing into the mob in the other cart again.

miss on 1-20: 1d100 ⇒ 97shortbow attack, studied, slaver, bumpy: 1d20 + 9 + 2 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (16) + 9 + 2 + 1 - 2 = 26 for: 1d6 + 4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 2 + 1 = 13
miss on 1-20: 1d100 ⇒ 50shortbow attack, studied, slaver, bumpy: 1d20 + 4 + 2 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (7) + 4 + 2 + 1 - 2 = 12 for: 1d6 + 4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 2 + 1 = 10

"We've almost got them!"


Male Human Vigilante 6 I HP 34/46 I AC 23(24) [T 12 FF 21] I CMD 22+ I F +5 R +8 W +6 I Init +2 I Percep +9 I Sense Motive +13 I

Morvius may not entirely trust the halfling, but he's willing to take his word for now. He leans in, doing as he's told and hoping for the best.

Auto-succeed due to Acrobatics :)

Do we get close enough for me to throw the alchemist fire? I don't mind taking a few range increment penalties

Alchemist fire, if possible:

Thrown splash weapon: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22 (minus whatever range penalty)

Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 5

Miss chance, 1-20 misses: 1d100 ⇒ 61

Whoever it hits is on fire and takes another d6 damage next turn


Female Human 30/30 HP; AC 18/13/16; Init +5; Fort +5, Refl +3, Will +8; Per +3

Still here.

Silver Crusade

Per: +5 | Init +4 |Twin Fists!: +8/d8+7 |F:+7 R:+5 W: +9| |DF +3 BS +2 Warpriest 6 AC 21 HP 38/54| Blessings: 2/6| F: 2/6| 1st: 1/5 (1/2) 2nd: 1/4 (1/2) |

Were we all supposed to make a Dex check? It's a bit unclear.

551 to 600 of 641 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DMDM's Fingerprints of the Fiend All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.